BajaNomad

Where's Baja? Help.

stimbo - 1-20-2010 at 05:20 PM

US 395 just north of Bishop...

Barry A. - 1-20-2010 at 05:23 PM

Wow!!!!! What's it like just south of Bishop???----My son drives that section every day, coming and going to Bishop from Independence.

Barry

Sidamone - 1-20-2010 at 05:24 PM

Cool shot.

bajafam - 1-20-2010 at 05:28 PM

yikes!! We are having some of that cold white stuff here too :) But we will be finding our way to Baja at the end of March! Thank goodness! Stay warm and pop open a cold cerveza when you get home :)

stimbo - 1-20-2010 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Wow!!!!! What's it like just south of Bishop???----My son drives that section every day, coming and going to Bishop from Independence.

Barry

It was raining/sleeting in Bishop this afternoon BUT there are pockets of major snow squalls. Independence was getting several inches of snow that was sticking. Olancha northward was under R2 chain control. I think the southern end of the Owens Valley is getting hammered.

stimbo - 1-20-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajafam
yikes!! We are having some of that cold white stuff here too :) But we will be finding our way to Baja at the end of March! Thank goodness! Stay warm and pop open a cold cerveza when you get home :)

We're heading down mid-April. Something hot with alcohol might taste good now. "It's 5 o'clock somewhere."

Here's another "drive-by" shot.

Skipjack Joe - 1-20-2010 at 08:00 PM

That first picture reminds me of the tule fog I hit after coming down Tejon pass 2 weeks ago.

Holy Smokes! I had my nose 3 inches from the windshield trying to make out the tail lights of the vehicle in front. A truck passed us up and we just rode his tail for about an hour figuring if he runs into anything he'll plow his way forward until coming to stop. All this after a full day of driving from Catavina since dawn. I was bushed.

toneart - 1-20-2010 at 08:37 PM

Jeezo!

I think I am going to pop a beer into the microwave. :(

estebanis - 1-20-2010 at 09:39 PM

I get to look forward to several weeks working on the E-Grid Automation in the Eastern Sierras. I try to pick a weather window though sometimes its snowcat time!
Esteban

Sidamone - 1-20-2010 at 09:54 PM

Anybody see the guy who clears driveways in Mammoth, dressed in shorts inside his little heated snowplow? I couldn't believe it when I witnessed that.

toneart - 1-20-2010 at 09:58 PM

Ahh, snowshoe, ahh, ahhh, aaaahhhhhhCHOO! Hang on Baja. I'll be there soon as I can dig out. :smug::D

Bajahowodd - 1-21-2010 at 01:24 PM

I'm certainly not an expert on the area, but have done the 395 thing from LA to Reno- Tahoe a couple of times each winter for decades. Never encountered chain control South of Bishop. Sierra could sure use as much snow pack as it can get. And I hope the Colorado River watershed gets its fair share too. Anyone notice the level of Lake Powell lately?

wilderone - 1-22-2010 at 08:59 AM

this site has some real-time road conditions. I can check Hwy. 50 2 miles from my house in Tahoe, which oftentimes caused a lot of worry during times like this. Sold the house a few months ago. Don't have to lose sleep over this storm series - looks like they got 3 feet in the past 24 hours.

www.video.dot.ca.gov/