BajaNomad

Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...

Pages:  1  2  

desandmarla - 1-25-2010 at 02:32 PM

That is "NOT" what Enrique told us. He said the Federales said they were going to start letting trucks and high profile vehicles through BUT ONLY assisted by a grader or tractor of some kind. I said well none of us want our rigs drug through mud by a tractor so he said well let's see how it improves tomorrow. He is giving us updates all through the day but feels that when the buses start to flow we are safe to go. Enrique also feels that the first day is going to be gridlocked both ways so let's hunker down another day and wait for reports on how they are doing tomorrow.

tripledigitken - 1-25-2010 at 03:02 PM

The permanent repairs will probably not address the omission of properly placed Rip Rap at the bridge abutments. Without it the abutment will sustain major erosion damage again. The Bridge itself (El Rosario) looks to have held, it is the approach which appears to have been damaged. With properly placed Concreted Rip Rap at the bridge abutments, 2 of the bridges I saw pictures of would still be open. I have seen this many times in the past in Baja.

It's too bad that they "poor boy" that portion of the road construction, after spending all the money on the bridge itself.

Ken

El Rosario bridge...Jan 25, 2010 / 1:50pm

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 03:19 PM

El Rosario bridge situation has improved in the last hour... for the whole day a lot of dirt has been placed on the pass along the river bed in El Rosario bridge, and now, small vehicles can pass also... with some care and difficulty in the parts where is sandy but they are going through... the water levels have dropped substantially now. Only semi's are being held on the south side (because of the weight) until the sandy areas of the river bed can be reinforced with more dry dirt... so they can cross on their own... they believe within a couple of hrs. semi's will be able to do so.

I just sent someone from our staff at BajaCactus to go and take some pictures to post them for you here... I will upload them as soon as they return from the bridge area.

Now... we do not work at the Federal Police... we do not know what their "official" story is... we are only reporting what we are seeing... the San Vicente and Col. Guerrero reports were also described to us by friends we called over the phone... we are just simple people who are actually standing right next to the damage areas, looking at what is going on and talking to some of the repair crews.

I will get back soon with the pictures.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaCactus]

David K - 1-25-2010 at 03:27 PM

Thank you amigo Antonio!

mcquerry - 1-25-2010 at 03:33 PM

Thank You Baja Catus
We are here in Mulege and have heard numerous stories. One person told us 5 bridges are gone and they are crossing people in baskets by ropes. Glad to hear the real story from some one who is there. We are leaving tomorrow morning but will continue to read the posts until we our out of range.
THANKS AGAIN

El Rosario bridge pictures...

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 03:35 PM

Here are the pictures I promised... small vehicles can now cross on their own...

San Vicente and Col. Guerrero are reporting the same situation... with the advantage that both are now about to finish making a temporary workable bridge, capable of supporting all kind of vehicles.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaCactus]

IMG00308.jpg - 20kB

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 03:37 PM

Loaded trucks working...

IMG00305.jpg - 21kB

El Rosario

desandmarla - 1-25-2010 at 03:37 PM

Thanks so much Antonio, can't wait to see the pics!! And thanks for all the time you have spent keeping us informed. Your posts are very factual and we are excited every time we get one! Have you made it home yet??

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 03:38 PM

You can see the level of the water now on this photo.

IMG00307.jpg - 21kB

JESSE - 1-25-2010 at 03:58 PM

So, any wild guess when the road will open? i have a frozen venison carcass from Lupe Perez on one of those trucks, and a bunch of cases of wine.

Open road... Jan 25, 2010 / 3:00pm

BajaCactus - 1-25-2010 at 04:06 PM

San Vicente is reporting they will have a fully functional temporary bridge by tonight.

Col. Guerrero is reporting the same... that they will have a fully functional temporary bridge by tonight.

El Rosario reports it will have a passable road on the river bed within the next 3 hrs.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

satmike - 1-25-2010 at 04:08 PM

When the dosers are done there send them out the San Carlos road. It is passable but barely ...

fishbuck - 1-25-2010 at 04:08 PM

Anybody got any word from TonyC?

Bajahowodd - 1-25-2010 at 04:09 PM

Let's just hope that the looming storm is weak and doesn't put this whole recovery effort back to square one.

nickmol - 1-25-2010 at 04:30 PM

I just posted a picture of bridge progress at Vicente Guerrero as of about noon on Monday.
4 wheel drives are crossing the river about 1 mile downstream of the bridge.

http://picasaweb.google.com/NMolatore/VGMondayJan25#54308228...

January 25th 4:00 pm PST

Juan del Rio - 1-25-2010 at 05:00 PM

Thanks for the updates Antonio. I just spoke with my friend who was caught in the storm/road situation since Friday evening. He drove this morning from Rice and Beans/San Ignacio to San Quintin and stopped to get gas at your place about two hours ago. He was able to cross the El Rosario river on his own (driving an Xterra) and is now staying in San Quintin for the evening waiting for the the waters to receed further North. I passed on your update to him...it was very much appreciated.

David K - 1-25-2010 at 05:06 PM

Viva Baja Nomads!

Estrella - 1-25-2010 at 06:17 PM

Really many thank yous from those of us who were traveling when all this started-we have made it to Ensenada and will hit the road south in the morning and we will be prepared thanks to everyone who has posted. As noted it will be another adventure. A BIG thanks to those whose very livlihoods depend on HWY 1 being open and have worked so hard to make it passable -THANK YOU!

BajaGringo - 1-25-2010 at 08:01 PM

Cristina and I drove San Quintin - Tijuana yesterday and back today. Not too difficult with a 4X4. There are tractors available if you need it...

People Power

jdowning - 1-25-2010 at 08:05 PM

Thanks to Antonio and all the others who have provided this running report on progress. We are patiently waiting for things to settle down before heading down for our vacation. The roads should be clear for essential supplies/services first.

But I have to say how impressed I am, again, of how so many of the people of Mexico react to situations like this. They don't just sit around and wait for the Government to take care of them and then complain when the response isn't perfect. They get into action and take care of things theirselves. The farmers volunteering machinery, fuel, and manpower to get the bridge abutments rebuilt, supplying tractors so people can cross riverbeds, is so remarkable.

:bounce:

roundtuit - 1-25-2010 at 08:35 PM

Many people in Mulege where not even a where of this situation if it not been for Baja Nomad and a few of us getting the word out. Many thanks for all the Nomads sending reports and pics. Have to say Mexico has things running where Katrina is still at a stand still :?::?::?::?:

motoged - 1-25-2010 at 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
So, any wild guess when the road will open? i have a frozen venison carcass from Lupe Perez on one of those trucks, and a bunch of cases of wine.

Hmmmmm.....venison tartar with a nice malbec sounds okay to me;D

martic - 1-25-2010 at 10:13 PM

Is the bus running yet?

travel schedule

desandmarla - 1-25-2010 at 10:20 PM

As of 6 pm Monday night, NO! You can call your local ABC or Aguila bus station and they will tell you if they are selling tickets from GN to TJ.

martic - 1-25-2010 at 10:35 PM

Jesse, hope the venison arrives before we do. Any Baron Balche on that truck?

San Vicente bridge open as of 5pm this evening ?

BajaNews - 1-26-2010 at 12:50 AM

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by BajaNews]

JESSE - 1-26-2010 at 04:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by martic
Jesse, hope the venison arrives before we do. Any Baron Balche on that truck?

Theres enough round here.;D

JESSE - 1-26-2010 at 04:22 AM

great job antonio.

saludos

road

jkruk - 1-26-2010 at 07:03 AM

Good morning all,
Seeking update on the ROAD ,or lack of, situation. Plan is to cross Tecate Feb 2 to Baja Cactus.then on to Mulege. Thank you jim

Binger - 1-26-2010 at 07:55 AM

I will have a report for you Sunday, 1/31, when I hopefully arrive in Cabo. Will send a report on my trip asap. I am leaving this Friday, 1/29.

RPaitich - 1-26-2010 at 09:26 AM

It appears the bridge at San Vicente is repaired enough to get past. We're trying to get to La Paz from the north. We're driving a heavily loaded F250, pulling a trailer. Are there any other washouts that would prevent us making it? Anyone with good info, please let us know.

We're now in Guaymas, trying to get the ferry to Sta Rosalia, but its schedule has been interrupted by overbooking and heavy seas. Yesterday's ferry was 12 hours late arriving in Guaymas. So we may find it better to return to Ensenada and try again. (Groan - it could be worse!)

tripledigitken - 1-26-2010 at 09:41 AM

I wonder if the Mazatlan/La Paz ferry situation is as booked? Less driving to Mazatlan vs. back around.

Ken

RPaitich - 1-26-2010 at 10:00 AM

Ken, thanks for the suggestion (actually, it's Los Mochis to La Paz). It's complicated, because we'd have to apply for temporary import of our three vehicles (truck, trailer, ATV), and then return thru Los Mochis to get back to US. If we didn't, we get stopped next entry. It happened to a Baja friend.

Paulclark - 1-26-2010 at 10:06 AM

I am not going to travel with you Ron -- you are just toooooo unlucky

tripledigitken - 1-26-2010 at 10:06 AM

Why are the import rules different for the La Paz connection?

BajaGringo - 1-26-2010 at 10:12 AM

At San Vicente they basically just extended the bank out and filled under the fallen part of the bridge. Probably not a long term fix but it is getting traffic moving again.

At Vicente Guerrero they are telling everybody now that there will be a passable route through for traffic come later this afternoon:

http://www.elvigia.net/noticia/esperan-quede-listo-hoy-paso-...

Great news for the region and all that have been stranded...

:yes:

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by BajaGringo]

RPaitich - 1-26-2010 at 10:21 AM

re: diff import rules for veh

Ken, Baja and Sonora (Guaymas) are in a free import zone for vehicles; the rest of the country controls import of veh rigorously.

Ron

tripledigitken - 1-26-2010 at 10:22 AM

Ron,

Thanks for clarifying that. Best of luck getting to La Paz.

Ken

9:30 am PST January 26, 2010: North San Quintin Bridge area

Juan del Rio - 1-26-2010 at 10:30 AM

I just spoke with my friends who stayed the night in San Quintin after traveling from San Ignacio yesterday. They are still heading North towards Ensenada. They had just crossed the bridge on the North side of San Quintin at the temporary river crossing down stream from the bridge (travelling in an Xterra). They said it was flowing about two feet deep at the deepest part, but there was a hole in one spot that dropped to about three feet if you weren't careful. They watched a few vehicles cross, then proceeded with caution and made it through with no problems. There are tractors there for those who require the assistance. They said that it looked like by the early afternoon, that the road crew would connect the road to the bridge with backfill. They said that there was a lot of men and machines working the situation. They also could not believe the amount of trucks that are parked along side the road waiting.

wilderone - 1-26-2010 at 10:36 AM

Those bridge fixes are remarkable. What quick reaction to such a disaster.

RPaitich - 1-26-2010 at 10:36 AM

Hey Paul, I have an adventure trip I'd like to take you on.
Dang, I wish I was home in Castillo now! Fortunately the local margaritas are fine.

David K - 1-26-2010 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I made the run from Ensenda to Loreto last night, got the ok from highway patrol at 4pm. The bridge south was out and we re-routed to the west and went thru a really nasty wash, four wheel drive only or get towed across for two hundred pesos. I was in a 4X4 and it was still hairy!!

The next bridge was out and we waited for an hour and a half while they let the northbound traffic thru, mostly big rigs and many of these needed an assist from a large front loader to get them out of the soft sand. We really didnt have much of a problem there Was going to stay the night at the desert inn, but the guy on the desk was a complete jerk, not the first bad experiense there and will never go back, plus will advise friends to bypass this dump.

It's good to be home

At this point it was getting really late so we just did a bonzai run and arrived in Loreto about 9 AM. Quite the trip

Thanks... Can you answer these:

Which bridges are you describing when you say "bridge south" and "next bridge" (ie. San Vicente, Santo Domingo/ Col. Guerrero, El Rosario)?

Which Desert Inn is the 'dump' with the bad attitude desk man? San Quintin, Cataviña?

Muchas Gracias!

toneart - 1-26-2010 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by backninedan
I made the run from Ensenda to Loreto last night, got the ok from highway patrol at 4pm. The bridge south was out and we re-routed to the west and went thru a really nasty wash, four wheel drive only or get towed across for two hundred pesos. I was in a 4X4 and it was still hairy!!

The next bridge was out and we waited for an hour and a half while they let the northbound traffic thru, mostly big rigs and many of these needed an assist from a large front loader to get them out of the soft sand. We really didnt have much of a problem there Was going to stay the night at the desert inn, but the guy on the desk was a complete jerk, not the first bad experiense there and will never go back, plus will advise friends to bypass this dump.

It's good to be home

At this point it was getting really late so we just did a bonzai run and arrived in Loreto about 9 AM. Quite the trip

Congratulations on getting through, Dan! Now get some sleep. :) And thank you for the report. I and many others are about to make the trip and your report really helps. It is only going to get better from today on.

Are you talking about the Desert Inn in Catavina? That place has some of the worst service I have experienced in all of Mexico, and I have traveled extensively and lived on the mainland too, besides living in Mulege. Just try getting food or even a drink. Unbelievably slow and you get ignored while sitting there. What a shame. The facility is nice. Even without a trailer or camper now, I still pull into the Santa Inez and sleep in my truck. The service is certainly better!:lol:

Russ - 1-26-2010 at 03:28 PM

Just heard from a friends wife here. Her husband was stopped in Ensanada and told the highway was closed for 4 or 5 days. He's going to try the ferry. She also mentioned another Person from PC did make it in today but it was really hairy. more as I here about it......

Strange...Jan 26, 2010 / 2:30pm

BajaCactus - 1-26-2010 at 03:54 PM

Hi,

Something strange is happening... apparently the temporary repairs on the bridge at San Vicente were done yesterday (there were plenty of pictures on the web about this)... and today the work in Col. Guerrero's bridge was supposed to be done around midday (confirmed over the phone by some friends down there).

However, we have been hearing reports about vehicles being turned around in Ensenada by the Federal Police... a few of our suppliers told us, over the phone, that their units were turned back this morning, supposedly because there was no pass at San Vicente.

We also received this message via e-mail, by one of our guests at the Motel, who has been staying in Ensenada:

Hello Antonio.

The Police turned me back. They are only letting PU trucks and trucks though.
The San Vicente Bridge is still closed and you need a truck to cross the river. No passenger cars yet.
I am back in Ensenada. I will check again tomorrow.
Please keep me posted on your end.

Thank you Ron.

I will try to investigate what is going on...:?:

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by BajaCactus]

Bajahowodd - 1-26-2010 at 04:05 PM

It does make abundant sense that a responsible police force would restrict access South, if they knew that every Tom, Dick, or Harry in a sedan would not be able to make the crossings.

As for (speculation) the Desert Inn at Catavina, for anyone who has had a bad experience there, two salient issues: First, in reality, they are the only game in town for those not self-contained. Second, their staff is obliged to live there on the property, which cannot be a real positive experience, given the remote nature. IMHO, given the rural, off-the-grid situation, this property is actually a comfort for travelers. That said, the folks who own the chain could do a bit more with their training and enforcement.

RPaitich - 1-26-2010 at 05:10 PM

re: Desert Inn Cataviña

We've had decent treatment at the Cataviña Desert Inn; food, margaritas and service were good. I was able to negotiate a discount as a "local" with my FM3.

Update... Jan 26, 2010 / 3:30pm

BajaCactus - 1-26-2010 at 05:15 PM

Hi,

This is what I found out for you (from several friends and contacts we have along the Baja and a few drivers who just arrived from the north to BajaCactus in El Rosario, including our accountant):

-- San Vicente Ferrer... the temporary bridge is not functional yet... however traffic is being diverted through the river bed and there are no problems to cross... all type of vehicles can pass with care.

-- Colonia Vicente Guerrero... the temporary bridge is not functional yet... only 4x4's and high clearance vehicles can cross on their own (water levels at 1-2 feet and the bottom is sandy)... however, if you are driving a small vehicle, as soon as you approach the area, several people are ready to tow you across the river for a fee (around $300-$600 pesos)... there is a risk that some water may come into your doors, but the river is passable... there is a huge, HUGE line of semi's waiting to cross the bridge, specially from the south.

-- El Rosario... there is no work being done at the bridge, however there is no problem to cross the river bed with any type of vehicle, via a bypass that was made on it and that was covered with a lot of dry soil (I will try to get some pictures later).

Both repair crews at San Vicente and Col. Guerrero report they expect to have the bridges functional this evening, around 7-8 pm (we were able to personally speak with the foreman at Col. Guerrero).

Now, I do not know what is the situation with the Federal Police, or why they are not allowing pass from Ensenada, but according to people on site in San Vicente and Col. Guerrero, and actual drivers that just arrived from the north, at the moment, there is absolutely no problem with traffic flow all the way from Ensenada to Col. Guerrero... it is there, in Col. Guerrero, where the real problem is... but, if you are driving a small car, for a fee you can be towed across.

I hope this helps my friends.

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by BajaCactus]

Bajahowodd - 1-26-2010 at 05:27 PM

Thanks, Antonio. Keep up the good work. I'm especially concerned for all the hoteliers and restaurateurs who depend upon the spike in business from those folks who want to visit the whales in season. We're looking forward to being a part of that effort in the next few weeks. This would not be our first time having to battle the elements, but it's just easier if, given the challenge of Mex 1, water is not an issue.

mtgoat666 - 1-26-2010 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Are you talking about the Desert Inn in Catavina? That place has some of the worst service I have experienced in all of Mexico, and I have traveled extensively and lived on the mainland too, besides living in Mulege. Just try getting food or even a drink. Unbelievably slow and you get ignored while sitting there. What a shame. The facility is nice.

Yes the service there can be slow, but it is a sleepy place and the speed seems appropriate. Usually, a polite word gets attention of the inattentive. What's your rush? There is nothing to rush off to in Catavina.

El Rosario bridge...

BajaCactus - 1-26-2010 at 06:10 PM

Damage to the bridge of El Rosario...

IMG00335.jpg - 14kB

El Rosario bridge...traffic flowing again.

BajaCactus - 1-26-2010 at 06:11 PM

You can see any type of vehicle can drive through the temporary bypass made at the bridge in El Rosario...

IMG00331.jpg - 13kB

Official word... Jan 26, 2010 / 6:00pm

BajaCactus - 1-26-2010 at 09:33 PM

Officials from the San Quintín area just told us that the temporary repairs on the bridge should be fully functional by tonight.

So, the official word is that by tomorrow (Jan 27th, 2010) we should have a "normal" flow of traffic, and that trucks will be able to resume the shipment of supplies in the area (fuel, propane, food, etc.).

Of course, this means that also every other type of vehicle will be able to drive through the damage areas.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BAJACAT - 1-26-2010 at 09:45 PM

Good news Antonio, see you in a few weeks..

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by BAJACAT]

toneart - 1-26-2010 at 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Are you talking about the Desert Inn in Catavina? That place has some of the worst service I have experienced in all of Mexico, and I have traveled extensively and lived on the mainland too, besides living in Mulege. Just try getting food or even a drink. Unbelievably slow and you get ignored while sitting there. What a shame. The facility is nice.

Yes the service there can be slow, but it is a sleepy place and the speed seems appropriate. Usually, a polite word gets attention of the inattentive. What's your rush? There is nothing to rush off to in Catavina.

I agree "there is nothing to rush off to in Catavina. But it is not really a "sleepy place" unless you have checked in for the night. It is the only place that has the appearance of a first class hotel and restaurant. People who aren't checked into the hotel are mostly transiting, and are in a rush to get the hell out of there and onward. Daylight is short this time of year. I, as anyone who knows me will attest, am fully in tune with the Mexican pace. I can chill with the best of 'em.

My reports on The Baja Nomad are accurate according to my experience. I am always respectful to service personnel. I stand by my report. :smug:

toneart - 1-26-2010 at 10:48 PM

Antonio,

Thank you for your reports. I am watching them closely and plan to get on the road early next week. I will make a reservation at The Baja Cactus, my favorite in all of Baja. Hopefully you will be there and I will get to say "hello!" again. Paco loves room 101! :bounce:

100_0513 [DVD (NTSC)].JPG - 24kB

Fuel delivered...Jan 26, 2010 / 10:23pm

BajaCactus - 1-26-2010 at 11:44 PM

We just received a tank truck of fuel at the BajaCactus Gas Station in El Rosario... it comes from Ensenada and was one of the first heavy vehicles to cross over the damaged area in Col. Guerrero. We ordered this delivery as soon as we realized what was happening (last Friday) and therefore this delivery was one of the first in line waiting.

The truck driver told us that, between Ensenada and El Rosario, the only really rough and still difficult place to cross over is the repaired bridge in Col. Guerrero. He said that the temporary repairs made "felt kind of soft"... he was worried they will not hold for long... however, remember he was one of the first to cross and he was carrying over 40 tons of fuel.

He also mentioned that now, any type of vehicle can cross over all the areas where the bridges were down, with some difficulties at Col. Guerrero but they can cross.

Let us hope things continue to get better from here on.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

duke62 - 1-27-2010 at 12:56 AM

Hey Nomads, any update on Erendira? Saw pictures that showed the east bound (river side) of the road in to town is washed out, 5 houses along the river lost, and heard there is no water in town. Need to check on our place.

Gracias,

Esteban

mulegejim - 1-27-2010 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
We just received a truck pipe of fuel at the BajaCactus Gas Station in El Rosario... it comes from Ensenada and was one of the first heavy vehicles to cross over the damaged area in Col. Guerrero. We ordered this delivery as soon as we realized what was happening (last Friday) and therefore this delivery was one of the first in line waiting.

The truck driver told us that, between Ensenada and El Rosario, the only really rough and still difficult place to cross over is the repaired bridge in Col. Guerrero. He said that the temporary repairs made "felt kind of soft"... he was worried they will not hold for long... however, remember he was one of the first to cross and he was carrying over 40 tons of fuel.

He also mentioned that now, any type of vehicle can cross over all the areas where the bridges were down, with some difficulties at Col. Guerrero but they can cross.

Let us hope things continue to get better from here on.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

Antonio, thank you for all of the information - I was going to head to Mulege earlier this week, however, will now put the trip off a bit. I have stayed at your hotel quite often heading south and what a great place it is. Once again, thanks. Jim

jodiego - 1-27-2010 at 09:25 AM

What were the rain totals like last night from Ensenada south?

[Edited on 1-27-2010 by jodiego]

mcquerry - 1-27-2010 at 09:32 AM

Hi, we left Mulege yesterday Jan 26th and made it to Baja Cactus before dark. We crossed the river bed with no problem, it was dry. We are driving a 2wheel 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with a cab over towing a small utility vehicle. We will be heading out about 9 this morning to go to Ensenada. If we have internet access where ever we are I will keep you informed on road conditions. Right now I am sitting in a room at the Baja Cactus enjoying life. I took pictures yesterday but I have no clue on how to post them to this site. I read the directions but became lost. Until this evening lets keep our fingers crossed.

David K - 1-27-2010 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcquerry
Hi, we left Mulege yesterday Jan 26th and made it to Baja Cactus before dark. We crossed the river bed with no problem, it was dry. We are driving a 2wheel 3/4 ton Dodge pickup with a cab over towing a small utility vehicle. We will be heading out about 9 this morning to go to Ensenada. If we have internet access where ever we are I will keep you informed on road conditions. Right now I am sitting in a room at the Baja Cactus enjoying life. I took pictures yesterday but I have no clue on how to post them to this site. I read the directions but became lost. Until this evening lets keep our fingers crossed.

Thank you!

You can post multiple photos here from another web site (like photobucket.com)... just select a reduced size like '15" screen', or 'large' when you upload the photios from your PC to photobucket... then from photobucket, put the image links here on a Nomad post of yourd... [img] (image url here) [/img] (with no spaces) is what the image link will look like...

BajaGringo - 1-27-2010 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jodiego
What were the rain totals like last night from Ensenada south?

We just got some sprinkles out here on the beach west of San Quintin...

Marie-Rose - 1-27-2010 at 10:15 AM

Sprinkles and cloudy in TS.

satmike - 1-27-2010 at 02:43 PM

Rode my motorcycle from Punta San Carlos to El rosario, on the way back got rained on pretty hard on the 40 mile dirt road . There were some little rivers running again. Clear at the beach and don't know how much El Rosario got.

mcquerry - 1-27-2010 at 03:56 PM

We left El Rosario this morning at 9 Wednesday and just arrived in Ensenada. It did sprinkle a little along the way. From El Rosario to Ensenada we crossed 4 bridges under repair. Some we crossed on the bridge others were detoured around. We were quite happy that we did not have to drive through any water. I did take pictures and will try to post the link tonight or some time tomorrow. There was a lot of road work along the way where it was one lane but no waiting. They were closed for just a few yards. For today the road was totally passable we will see what tomorrow brings. For us, tomorrow means driving to Tecate and crossing the border to go home. We will be back soon.

mulegemichael - 1-27-2010 at 04:25 PM

when i passed through el rosario today southbound there was quite the scene at the blown out bridge south of town...they had fashioned a one lane temporary road out of sand/dirt and an 18 wheeler had collapsed it and rolled over on it's top down the embankment....drew a crowd, i must say..they're making headway on the bridge but everything is passable now...

toneart - 1-27-2010 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
We left El Rosario this morning at 9 Wednesday and just arrived in Ensenada. It did sprinkle a little along the way. From El Rosario to Ensenada we crossed 4 bridges under repair. Some we crossed on the bridge others were detoured around. We were quite happy that we did not have to drive through any water. I did take pictures and will try to post the link tonight or some time tomorrow. There was a lot of road work along the way where it was one lane but no waiting. They were closed for just a few yards. For today the road was totally passable we will see what tomorrow brings. For us, tomorrow means driving to Tecate and crossing the border to go home. We will be back soon.

Will you please report how the construction zone is on the road to Tecate, when you can? I want to take that route on Sunday. Thank you.

mulegemichael - 1-27-2010 at 04:54 PM

tony...really no problem on the tecate/ensenada road to speak of..no worse than before the storm, anyway...see ya in mulege, amigo

toneart - 1-27-2010 at 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
tony...really no problem on the tecate/ensenada road to speak of..no worse than before the storm, anyway...see ya in mulege, amigo

Great! Thank you Michael.

vandenberg - 1-27-2010 at 05:28 PM

Tony, do you remember to take the road from Guadaloupe to old hwy 1 ? In Guadaloupe just keep going straight (pass the Pemex on your right). Was advised of this the end of December and it avoids a lot of construction between Guadaloupe and Ensenada. Unless things have changed, with I doubt. Jump in anybody ?

nanachel - 1-27-2010 at 06:04 PM

Noticed several caravans of trucks started heading South of San Quintin last night about 9 pm, finally saw gas & propane trucks heading for El Rosario today. There may be a few delays but it seems like the roads are open to more than just 4x4 traffic which was all we saw for the first few days after the storms. Phones & Internet are intermitent, usually OK but there are down times.

My husband went to El Rosario yesterday and said they were working on both sides of the bridge, the water swept away nearly everything in the arroyo. A friend who lives their said the water rose to the back of his property on the East end of town but didn't flood his place.

Safe travels to anyone heading South, most of the damage seems to be from El Rosario to Vicente Guerro, just e-mailed a friend that was thinking of heading South from the US to let him know the roads are open again

San Quintin

Susana - 1-27-2010 at 09:53 PM

Propane and some gasoline arrived in San Quintin today. The road from the Hwy. 1 towards the Old Mill was partially graded today!!!

k-rico - 1-28-2010 at 07:18 AM

TJ morning news says that buses aren't running south yet and that if you need help getting across the arroyos be prepared to pay 2 to 3 hundred pesos.

shari - 1-28-2010 at 07:27 AM

so it appears that the dreaded new rain didnt really appear in the north then...correct? We had a big squal here on Wednesday but only for a few minutes and it's raining around us right now and looks like we might get a few more squals today...but all roads are fine.

DENNIS - 1-28-2010 at 07:42 AM

Hi Shari.....Not much rain here on the last "storm." It was a non-event. Clear and nippy right now. No wind except for all the hot air blowing around on another thread. I'll stay over here.

leave Friday AM

msawin - 1-28-2010 at 07:43 AM

Hey Tony, Mi esposa Y yo will be leaving Friday 4:00 AM with our
friends / next door Baja neighbors out of Grass Valley for Loreto tomorrow. If you can get away then and come caravan with us..

marty

mcquerry - 1-28-2010 at 08:42 AM

OK I am at a loss here, maybe this link will work.
I just don't understand this

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/M...

Pictures from Mulege to Ensenada

[Edited on 1-28-2010 by BajaNomad]

GREAT PHOTOS OF BAJA MESS/ BRIDGES!

David K - 1-28-2010 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
OK I am at a loss here, maybe this link will work.
I just don't understand this http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/creativeapps/slideShow/M...
Pictures from Mulege to Ensenada

The URL is just too long for Nomad page to make it all blue (hyper link)... So, use the link feature above the message typing area (a world with a chain link in front)
to make a link here...

mcquerry Baja road photos

[Edited on 1-28-2010 by David K]

mcquerry - 1-28-2010 at 09:22 AM

Thank You David, I don't know how you did that, I tried and couldn't find that little icon. I will continue to work on it when we get back home. We are leaving Ensenada today and crossing at Tecate.

David K - 1-28-2010 at 09:27 AM

Its right above where you type someting to post... NOT QUICK REPLY, but Post Reply or New Topic... There are several icons to pick from...

baja-spirit - 1-28-2010 at 09:28 AM

Great slideshow....Thanks ... heading to Baja Monday.... Can't wait!!!

toneart - 1-28-2010 at 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by msawin
Hey Tony, Mi esposa Y yo will be leaving Friday 4:00 AM with our
friends / next door Baja neighbors out of Grass Valley for Loreto tomorrow. If you can get away then and come caravan with us..

marty

Marty,
Thank you for the invitation. I have some last minute errands to run on Friday morning. I will be all packed up and will head out mid-morning. Friday night I will be at Harris Ranch. Saturday night in El Cajon, and Sunday night at Baja Cactus in El Rosario. I think you will be long gone for me to catch up with you. I am also towing a boat. Maybe I will see you in Mulege...Scotty's? Or, I am at The Orchard, #90. How long will you be in Loreto?

Vie Bien!
Tony

absinvestor - 1-28-2010 at 12:34 PM

Thanks to all the posters. Much of the info refers to pickups, 4 wheel drives etc. We are in Potrero Campground which is less than 10 miles from the Tecate border crossing. We are in a 31' motorhome with hydraulic levelers so overall clearance is only about 6 inches. We have traveled to La Paz a couple of times but it has been several years ago and of course before the recent storms. Our plan is to enter at Tecate and travel to San Quintin on day 1. On the 2nd travel day we will go to Bajia de Los Angeles. 3rd travel day to Guerro Negro. 4th travel day to Bahia Concepcion. 5th travel day to Ciudad Constitucion and the 6th travel day will take us to La Paz. Are the roads and bridges /bridge detours adequate for travel in a 31' motorhome? Secondly, we only want to drive 6 or 7 hours a day. Are our current planned daily travel distances reasonable in a motorhome with current road conditions? Thirdly, we don't have any time constraints. We plan to start the trip tomorrow or Saturday but can wait some time if traffic conditions might improve. Thanks Ron

k-rico - 1-28-2010 at 01:08 PM

absinvestor,

Buses aren't running yet.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/jan/26/baja-bridge-d...

absinvestor - 1-28-2010 at 01:19 PM

Thanks for the heads up. We'll just hang out in this park for a few days. Thanks again. Ron

comitan - 1-28-2010 at 01:20 PM

K-rico

That article was tues. the 26th.

mulegemichael - 1-28-2010 at 01:50 PM

the buses ARE running...in droves...both directions...i just got to mulege today and it's no problem...only bad part is el rosario and guerrero vicente...by the time you get there it will be even better...come on down!

k-rico - 1-28-2010 at 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
K-rico

That article was tues. the 26th.

Isn't that today? :tumble:

I almost bought a retirement clock I saw in a catalog, it just tells you what day it is, the time is unimportant. I should have bought it.

Actually I did a mouseover of the computer system clock to see what the date is when I read the article and Thursday the 28th looked like Tuesday the 26th. Guess I need stronger magnifiers too!

Local TV news this morning said the buses were not running, or maybe that was yesterday.

nevermind

[Edited on 1-28-2010 by k-rico]

absinvestor - 1-28-2010 at 05:02 PM

Thanks to all. Do the planned daily driving distances that show in my post dated 1-28 at 734pm seem reasonable for someone who only wants to drive 6 or 7 hours a day? Thanks. We'll get our tourist cards etc tomorrow and start down on Saturday. Ron

comitan - 1-28-2010 at 05:08 PM

Your driving schedule looks reasonable to me.

absinvestor - 1-28-2010 at 05:10 PM

Thanks. I appreciate the input. Ron

Diver - 1-28-2010 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Do the planned daily driving distances that show in my post dated 1-28 at 734pm seem reasonable for someone who only wants to drive 6 or 7 hours a day?

Your first day to San Quintin will be the long one due to potential delays due to road conditions.
We normally make it from Tecate' to San Quintin in about 5 hours towing our camp trailer; I would allow 7-8 hours just in case.

Your second day to BLA should take 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Your third day to GN will be short and easy; less than 3 hours.

Conception is less than 5 hours south from GN.

Less than 4 hours to Cuidad depending on where in Conception you start.

Less than 3 hours from Cuidad to La Paz.

Sounds like after day 1, you will have plenty of time to mess around.
Have fun !!

Bajahowodd - 1-28-2010 at 05:28 PM

Since you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that time was not an issue, I have to ask why Constitucion is on your itinerary. Given the time of the year, I could understand if you wish to head out to Mag Bay and check out the whales. But, outside of that, or some fishing excursion, once in Constitucion, you are little more than two hours from La Paz. Understanding that you are planning to hit Bahia Conception, you should also consider spending a night in Loreto. It is one of the signature towns of Baja.

absinvestor - 1-28-2010 at 05:54 PM

Thanks again to everybody. We will take the recommendation and spend a night in Loreto vs Constitucion. We only picked Constitucion because La Paz seemed like a long day from Bahia Concepcion and the campgrounds ie Manfred's or Palapa 206 in Constitucion looked good. We haven't been to Loreto in almost 10 years and it will be good to see it again. Thanks a million. Ron and Patty

k-rico - 1-28-2010 at 06:06 PM

I know everybody is worried about getting their head cut off (tacos de cabeza anybody?) and their body hanged from an overpass or made into pozole, but putting those concerns aside, why not cross at Tijuana and sail down the toll road with the incredible ocean views instead of driving through miles of mud where the Tecate road meets Ensenada?

[Edited on 1-29-2010 by k-rico]

BillP - 1-28-2010 at 07:08 PM

It's been about 15 years since I've been down, but might I suggest San Ignacio instead of GN? don't know what it's like now, used to be a quaint little town, friendly people, restored mission, town square, etc.

I just never cared much for GN, always seemed unfriendly, got a bad vibe there in addition to getting ripped off at the gas pump.

absinvestor - 1-28-2010 at 07:19 PM

We are not concerned about the violence etc. When we lived in Punta Banda we always entered at TJ. In those days it was easy to get the tourist card in Ensenada. Parking was a breeze and we got to know an employee who would give us a 6 month card when others wanted to limit us to a shorter time. Now, the feedback is that getting a tourist card in Ensenada is a hassle and we prefer not to fight the traffic and parking difficulties in Tijuana etc. For us, the option to park our motorhome in an easy to enter and exit parking lot on the US side in Tecate Ca and walk across the border to get our tourist card, exchange dollars for pesos etc offsets the more difficult drive. If we were in a smaller, easier to park vehicle, the TJ option would be more appealing to us. Thanks for the input. Ron

jdowning - 1-28-2010 at 07:41 PM

absinvestor
We have a 31' RV pulling a jeep and have made the trip many times. A few thoughts:
The time looks good from S.Quentin to BLA depending upon how long it takes you to make the river crossing south of El Rosario. We always give ourselves more time on this leg as it is the most difficult for an RV. We call it 'infinity highway' through there because some of the climbing turns on the ridges remind us of infinity pools. Looks like you are driving off into blue sky!

Be sure to fuel up in S.Q. or El Rosario. No telling if BLA will have fuel considering the recent difficulties and the next gas isn't until about 20 miles before G. Negro. In fact I would fuel up more often on this trip just to be safe.

Watch the shoulders. They typically aren't that good in some areas and with the recent rains there is sure to be a lot of erosion. Road crews won't get to them for a long time I would think.

Buen Viaje

Road Conditions

desandmarla - 1-28-2010 at 08:15 PM

I just drove Guerrero Negro to San Vicente on Wed and SV to Ensenada today. The worst part of the drive is the 10-20 miles before El Rosario where parts of the road are a drop off from erosion and the El Rosario bypass road under the bridge. From Guerrero Negro to Ensenada, your weak link is the El Rosario bypass. There is a reason the ABC buses are not running, the drop off (going south) or the uphill to get to the road (going north) are perilous for A class coaches or buses. I was in our truck and camper and used 4wd to get up the approach. We also drive a 40' class A and I doubt it would have gotten up and over that approach.
 Pages:  1  2