BajaNomad

Limiting development in Baja

jrbaja - 7-8-2004 at 10:04 AM

All of these people that want to develop Baja continue to mention how they are going to employ so many people, give them a better life and blah blah blah.
What really happens is the development starts, the prices in all the restaurants, markets and businesses go up, the workers have a little bit of work, and then the jobs stop.
The prices continue to rise because of the foreign money and then the locals can't afford to live where they have always lived. In peace.
So, they turn to crime. Not all of them but many. It has happened in every gringo/canadian enclave in Baja. And it will continue to happen.
It happened here in Rosarito because of the Titanic movie, it's happening in Bahia de Los Angeles, Bahia Concepcion, Todos Santos and Los Cabos. Everywhere there is bunches of foreigners moving to, the thieves move right in.
Promises of 2000 jobs doesn't mean diddly when it causes exhorbitant prices on everything in the future. And these people get hungry.

Solution:
What I am doing about this is promoting certain areas to be reserves. Some for the natural beauty, some for the history, and some for growing and harvesting bamboo.
What this is doing is giving the local people permanent employment, a sense of protecting and improving the environment, a reason to keep it that way, and inexpensive building materials for their homes.
They will also be manufacturing the bamboo into usable, saleable items for their future incomes.
This project has been in the works for 2 years. I have met with many many agencies and individuals in all parts of Baja. The bamboo is growing, people are working, everyone loves the idea and what bamboo can do for the environment in so many ways.
I am trying to expand these bamboo parks to a number of areas and could use some assistance.
If anyone is interested in this idea and how they can help, send me a U2U or email at jrbaja@hotmail.com.

According to your Avatar

jrbaja - 7-8-2004 at 11:42 AM

and following resume, you'd fit right in. :lol:
One thing these guys have is a sense of humor. Once I realized they were always laughing at me instead of with me, we got along fine!:lol:

FrankO - 7-8-2004 at 12:00 PM

That's right, I remember b4 the Titanic movie there was no crime in Rosarito. It was a Utopian paradise.

You are missing the point

jrbaja - 7-8-2004 at 12:34 PM

Before Titanic, the prices were affordable here. Most all of the locals were amazed at the price increases in all the stores when the movie came in. They didn't go down either.
Most all the border towns are crime ridden including Rosarito. Just like in the u.s., except here, it's mainly just the border towns and tourist areas rather than basically everywhere.

Barney - 7-8-2004 at 01:27 PM

I'm no expert, But it seems to me that Baja is still a desert. This would generally indicate a lack of water, or at least a limited quantity. This being the case, where do the people(moving into these developments) plan to get an sufficient source of water?

Markitos - 7-8-2004 at 06:21 PM

G's Grover how long does it take you to think these things up !!!!! I spewed beer out my nose when I saw that!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Looking for Property

Bajasurf - 7-8-2004 at 06:27 PM

When I first started to read the original post I immediately thought of Palm Desert. Change the name from Rosarito to Palm Deseret and you have the same situation.

Skeet/Loreto - 7-9-2004 at 05:59 AM

In years past Loreto was a small village with a Generator and 1 Water Well. Ed Tabor brought in the Flying Sportsman which supplied much needed money for the Locals.

After the road opened,telephones came in, TV, etc, things started to change. Very little Crime, Glue sniffing, no DOPE.

Indians were brought over from the Mainland to build the "Presidente Hotel and Nopollo bringing in more Crime{Huotos,DOPE etc.} we had one Murder out on the Island, then n airline employee was killed, then as the DOPE hauling Business became popular, Tourism increased as well as Crime of other sorts,Outside people came in and changed the area.

More Water was needed for the Golf Course, so Waters rights were bought out in the Valle San Juan on all but 2 0r 3 Ranches which had been producing Crops.

Now there are 9 Wells in the Mountains with a limited supply of Water for Loreto and Developments.

When it was announced that a Cruise ship was going to Stop at Loreto, the price of Beer went up to $4 a Bottle!!

Sometimes Tourism is "Good" and it also brings the"Bad".

JR. I hope to meet you in Loreto, as I will be unable to see your Bamboo Ranch as I have very bad Thoughts around Bamboo,

Good Luck in your Adventure.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Skeet

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 08:05 AM

Loreto will be fine and I hope to make it. Is the bamboo thing due to war? Because it is generally know for being one of the most peaceful plants to be around.

Right on, Sheet

capn.sharky - 7-9-2004 at 08:17 AM

I do remember the old days, Skeet and you are right on. What will Loreto Bay bring us. It seems to me that when you get a large group of rich foreigners, the locals only get poorer. No matter what type of government, it is still the supply and demand economics---thus leaving the poor behind. When we just had the local pueblo police, we only had a little mota around. Now, with the Federal Police in Loreto, we seem to have all the drugs....including herion, crystal, cocaine, etc. Not sure what the connection is but it sure isn't good for the young people. One of the things I always liked about Loreto was that we all lived pretty much in the same type of house. Not alot of expensive gringo houses around. Everyone sort of "fit in" with the locals. Now, we have the expensive homes down by the beach and Nopolo outside of town. Sure, Loreto Bay will bring in work for the locals---while under construction. After that, it will be housekeeping and car washing for the gringos. We complain that when the Mexicans come up here they want to bring their culture with them. But isn't that what we do when we go to their country. I escape to Loreto to get away from "keeping up with the Jones'" only to find Americans trying to outdo each other in Mexico. What is with Americans and Canadians living in groups and sorrounding their compounds with fences? Why not just move into a Mexican neighborhood and learn to live like your neighbors. When in Rome..... Oh well, I give up. I like my Mexican neighbors and learn alot from them. That is the charm of Mexico. By the way, I left a U2U for you. Please e-mail me as I don't have your e-mail address anymore.

Barney

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 08:50 AM

The ones that are actually serious about it rather than just another scam to steal peoples money (see Nopolo) are planning on desalinization plants.
There used to be one at Gonzaga Bay but it's been years since I've been there so don't know if it's still active.
There is one in use in San Evaristo and those guys are still alive. Course there's only about 100 of em left hahahahaha
And the army trucks in water to all the rural communities
that don't have water.
Not sure what exactly is involved with desalinization but whatever it is they do, I hope the fish and sea life like it. For some reason, I doubt it.

Bajasurf - 7-9-2004 at 08:50 AM

Grover, I know who you are talking about. I see you are in San Diego. Come to the WindanSea Historical Surfridng Association 10th Reunion Sept 11th, 2004 at WindanSea Beach, La Jolla. I am a founding member and WindanSea surfer from the early 60's. Great event, you might get lucky and win the surfboard I build every year for this event that is raffled off or even a trip to Fijii. Not a surf contest(no sponsers allowed. I mean this is WindanSea)

Mexitron - 7-9-2004 at 11:08 AM

The desalinization plant probably won't do any more environmental damage than replacing native Baja ecosystems with foreign bamboo species.......

As far as foreign bamboo species

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 12:32 PM

all of the bamboo planted is either from Todos Santos, Los Barriles or San Bartolo.
Don't know where it came from originally but I didn't put it there. If and when I do plant "foreign" bamboo species, it will be doing nothing but good for the locals, the air, and the erosion problems suffered in that country.
Besides, the people that live here like the idea.
And the desalinization plant will help the locals how?:light:

Right on Sharkey

Capt. George - 7-9-2004 at 12:45 PM

Deborah and I have never been happier since we began living with our Mexicano neighbors......The more (in attitude) Mexican I become, the more content I feel.

Miss mi novia, miss mi casa, miss mi amigos.....September is not that far away.
From now on we'll only leave our casa in Mexico for 2 to 3 weeks at a time.

There's just too much of everything here, including stress. The "look at me!" casas will not find Deborah nor I in their vicinity,
not our bag........

Sharkey, Skeet.....e me at dadgcp@peoplepc.com

Look forward to hearing from you....

El Vikingo

Sharkey has a point

LaTijereta - 7-9-2004 at 02:04 PM

Sharkey,
Life in Loreto is always a treat when your neighbors are the locals. We live about 6 blocks back from the water in "Loreto Centro", and have great neighbors (and roosters y peros):lol:
The casa has always been secure when we are away. Everything is with in walking distance from the house. "Life is Good"
George, we miss you and Deborah over here at this time, but we hope to see over here on the "east" coast again:tumble:

Kristian

JESSE - 7-9-2004 at 02:43 PM

Did you all know that Tijuana right now has 18,000 jobs that can't be filled? but heres the catch, almost all of them are in the maquiladora sector, and the salaries are amongst the lowest in all of Baja, something like 70dllrs a week.

Tourism and development in Baja is producing a similar situation, theres lots of projects, lots of jobs, but what is the quality of those jobs? is the local population benefiting from these jobs? are schools getting more funds? is crime going down?

I think the awnser is pretty clear, the current development of Baja is only developing the wallets of a few thousand corporations and a few fat cats, so you can't call it "Baja" development if the peninsula is really not gaining anything expect low paying dead end jobs.

Man has alays found a way to "develop" even the most dead places on earth, and they will find a way to develop Baja, water is not a problem.

Packoderm - 7-9-2004 at 04:00 PM

"Did you all know that Tijuana right now has 18,000 jobs that can't be filled?"

Maybe 18,000 resident visas for Chinese workers just might be the ticket. I'm sure it would help out those poor Chinese families to escape the crushing povery in their own country; they would jump at even $65.00 per week.

Mexitron - 7-9-2004 at 04:07 PM

I'll bet the native plants aren't crazy about being ripped up for bamboo......there is no native bamboo in Baja--reeds, yes--and if it escapes into the local waterways--ever heard of Arundo donax or Tamarisk aphylla? Bamboo, though, I'll say rarely flowers, so there's less of a chance of it escaping.

The key issue here

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 04:18 PM

as far as bamboo ruining the fragile Baja ecosystem, is that it is good for the environment, it is good for the people that live here, it can be used for countless projects, it can be eaten, and it is natural.
Unlike pavement and condos, it is nice to look at, provides shade in the heat, gives people jobs, and is one of the most earthquake and hurricane resistant building materials on the planet.
The people here that know of what they speak like the idea. The locals like the idea. And it's already happening.
As far as the bamboo "escaping". It has been growing down there for years. As I said before, I didn't put it there. But somebody sure did. A long long time ago.
If some people want to find fault with this , it figures. That's why they have gringo enclaves. So you don't even have to know about the people of Baja and what their needs and desires are. It sure as hell isn't pink friggen condos.

surfer jim - 7-9-2004 at 05:01 PM

I would like to send 18,000 from the "Little Saigon " area of Westminster to Tijuana for work...does anybody have an address?:lol:
P.S. they also would like the bamboo....

[Edited on 7-10-2004 by surfer jim]

JR and others!

Skeet/Loreto - 7-9-2004 at 07:12 PM

During the Korean War, the North Koreans and Chinese put captured Soldiers in Bamboo Cages,poked Sharp Sticks into their Butts,eyes, Testicles, Ears etc. Poured Buckets of their own Waste over their Heads and Faces,forced them to Drink their own Urine and many other things that are for Adult eyes only!that is the reason I do not like Bamboo; that being said I think your Efforts are noble and should be persued!
JR you have to take in to consideration that most of the Negative Posts are from those "Unlearned people" that only use our beloved Baja and its People for their own Selfish Purpose to escape the eyes of their neighbors to smoke DOPE,Drink Booze, run the Beaches Naked and think they are happy and all the mexicanos are beneath their Time, so keep up the good work are getting to know the People, interacting and you will become evermore a 'Person of Character" respected and Trusted by those People.

Fact Jesse: there is a Water problem in Loreto.

Sharkey, Chris, we have to figure that we, the ole timers of Loreto were the Greast Generation of Baja" and let it go on to its Destiny>

The Days of Von, Jamie, Rosendahal, Tio,Ben Benner,James Kimbro,Jack Foster, Don Luis, The Murillo Bros. and Rafael{the first Cop with the first Police Car} are over.

The only thing left is the Ability to take a boat and go North or south about 40 miles and get away from the "Unlearned'
masses who do not have the ability or character to be a "Good Neighbor"

By the way there are more than 10,000 Jobs in this area going unfilled because all of the "Non trained and pampered Babies are Walking around in the Air Cooled Malls".

"Keep on Truckin!!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Old Memories

capn.sharky - 7-9-2004 at 07:20 PM

Old Memories

capn.sharky - 7-9-2004 at 07:27 PM

God Skeet--you have a way of bringing a wave of old memories back with those names. Some of the newer things are better in Loreto. Ice, for example---is now edible and not green anymore. The water is pretty good and one can buy ice cream from more than just the Cafe Ole. Remember the ice cream from the Cafe Ole---it was grainy, but God, was it ever a treat after fishing all day. Don't forget to e-mail me about your property---I have lost your e-mail. Remember the generator that only ran 10 hours a day. The dusty streets with no cement. How did those women get those kids so clean and shiney when they sent them off to school. Remember the old pier of rocks. All the kids used beer cans and line to fish and did pretty well. How about the priest with the jeep. He ran the church in Loreto and in San Javier. God, did he ever put the miles on that old relic. You probably go back further than I do---you may remember the last time the pirates came to town and wrecked havic with the mexicans and indians. (just kidding).

Sharky

Skeet/Loreto - 7-9-2004 at 07:31 PM

The 10 mtr.x 30 mtr. lot is located just across the road to the North of Gary and Lucia Hands 2 story rock House. there was a Barbed wire Fence around it last time I was there. i will have the papers with me when i come down july 25th through the 29th. will be at the Junipero Hotel or at the Boat Ramp fishing with Alvaro Murillo in the Sylvia 2.

Skeet

Mexitron - 7-9-2004 at 07:44 PM

jr--you were trying to find an environmental fault with desalinisation--I'm showing you that there is effects on the environment no matter what you do--even growing bamboo. The fact that this is good for the local people is great. But from the perspective of the environment--maybe, maybe not.

Too funny

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 08:32 PM

The americans want to send their new Asian taxpayers to Mexico to work, the Mexicans want to go to america to work, and none of these people doing the sending have the huevos to do the work themselves.:lol:
Anybody besides Skeet and a very few others starting to catch on yet?
One day you will!:light:

If anyone is interested in Bamboo

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 08:38 PM

I can post some facts about why I am doing this. Otherwise, look it up, learn about bamboo, and then tell me why I shouldn't be persuing this project.
As far as the asian influence and bad memories, learn from it. Somebody pees you off, punji sticks for when they visit!

:lol:

JR?

David K - 7-9-2004 at 09:01 PM

JR, did you ever connect with my bamboo growing friend in Vista (Bob Rickie)? He was interested in your Baja project and he has his eyes set on Todos Santos...

Not yet David

jrbaja - 7-9-2004 at 09:30 PM

But, bamboo is nothing new to Todos Santos. And a whole bunch of other areas as well.
Let's talk this fin de semana.

SKEET, SHARKEY

Capt. George - 7-10-2004 at 03:28 AM

The "golden old days" are here for Deborah and I as we speak......I will remain where I am, in a place of peace, kindness, generousity and love......I lucked out, all of the world has not been ruined, (yet?)

I will probably visit the VA later in the year, doing much better...Mucho therapia with mi nuevo amigos.....man, do they ever have it right.....Fishing with an amigo, having a ball, looked over at me and said, " Vikingo, no necessito San Diego para therapia, mucho therapia aque."

Will be visiting Loreto during the winter to visit all our friends, perhaps sooner. do miss you guys, lots of laughs....

Kris, have you located your book? I feel terrible...I believe we left it with Frank at the American store.....will ask Deborah,
we will get it back!

Got to get working on my boat, a 16 ft Carolina Skiff, 25 4 stroke, will haul it home to Baja in September. And, yes, I still have my Dusky.....

Later Alligator......El Vikingo

el dusky!

capt. mike - 7-10-2004 at 08:04 AM

glad to hear you still have it. i haven't given up on it either, just some schedule and work conflicts impeding my sooner action, George.:bounce::cool:

They used to call me

jrbaja - 7-10-2004 at 10:43 AM

anti american for such talk. :lol: It's a perfect society there and DON'T YOU FORGET IT you commie pinko wierdos.
It's the rest of the world that's all messed up:lol:

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by Q87]

here are the types....

capt. mike - 7-10-2004 at 06:30 PM

those that can....do

those that can't....don't, or don't try....

those that can b-tch about any of it....will

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by capt. mike]

surfer jim - 7-10-2004 at 07:35 PM

Somebody put this topic to rest....:barf:

Packoderm - 7-10-2004 at 09:07 PM

Ok, Surfer Jim, I'll give it my best shot.

If the current pace of development in Baja continues, we will have a lot of amenities, but we will lose a degree of the natural open space that makes this place so inviting. However, if we curtail that current pace of development in Baja, we will continue to enjoy the natural beauty of the area, but we will lack some of the convenient amenities . Some people want it one way, and others want it the other way. This is the root of the disagreement; maybe a compromise is in order.

tim40 - 7-10-2004 at 09:45 PM

Amen and goodnight Gracey!

Nope, here are the types.

jrbaja - 7-11-2004 at 08:57 AM

The politicos. Dishonest powerful people with control over everyone else and the majority of the money.( this category includes the religiious leaders)

The people. These are unfortunately the majority because of lack of education. They believe whatever the politicos tell them and think they have a wonderful life because they have more posessions than someone else. Everything to this group is about money and destroying the planet, or screwing their friends and neighbors to get more is not a problem for them.

The humans. These guys care about all of the people and all of the planet and base nothing on having posessions or money. They are not afraid to voice their opinions bacause they are honest and believe in what they say. They are not doing it because of peer pressure and "everybody else says" .
They also have open minds and listen to others ideas and either agree or validly demonstrate through discussion or actions, the reasons why these ideas will or won't work.
Here's another thing that should have been put on the endangered species lists a long time ago, Humanity!

Grover! Go for It!

Skeet/Loreto - 7-11-2004 at 12:01 PM

I will help you out!

i do not give Quotes of other people{Left or Right}

I have in the past, before being Banned Quoted Scriptures, using Anon the Preacher.

I have posted on another board and been Banned for "Generalising"

I returned to Christ after being a "Back slider for 56 years.

I believe each Person is Born with the right to their"own Free Will and Accord"

I believe that many posters "Do not know of what they Speak" as they have read it out of a Book.

I do not believe in Hate, such as howard Dean.

I beleive that thsoe of us who are Veterans of past Wars should be shown a little more Respect than those Cowards who run off to Canada.

I think that anyone who would Post a Porno Photo on a Board where it can be seen by Children is 'lacking in Character" no matter how many Degress he/she may have.

Most everyone on this Board, Knows where I come from in my Poilitic, Religion, and Sex!

I do not hide behind Fancy words, Satire, or Word Games.i tell it like it is from my View.

Facts: Back it up with proof not words but Action and Demonstration/

I am sure you will find that for those 'Christain Naysayers: my challenge to them to Join a church,be a Christain, then return to this Board and "Tell it Like it is}!

Same as the 'Envior Nuts stating as Truth that the Sea Of Cortex is 90% Devastated

A good many people are seein through all the Mirrors and beginning to seek other information and more realiable Source than the New York Times.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

I think so too Skeet

jrbaja - 7-11-2004 at 12:11 PM

"A good many people are seein through all the Mirrors and beginning to seek other information and more realiable Source than the New York Times."
Perhaps not so much from some of these cyber people but in everyday life, it is obvious that people are learning.
At least down here anyway !

And, I enjoy both of your postings. I went to show a friend of mine Kermit but poof, he was gone. Damn it.

Pornography

bajalera - 7-11-2004 at 12:22 PM

Sorry, JR, I guess it's my fault the actively engaged duo disappeared. That wasn't my intent, because I didn't find this atavar any more offensive than the Discovery Channel, where children are exposed to dolphins, whales, gibbons, c-ckatoos and practically every other form of life, exept human, Doing It in midafternoon.

Lera

Frog and Bunny

JZ - 7-11-2004 at 12:44 PM

Funniest thing ever posted on this board!

I downloaded the pic and forwarded to a friend with the following:

Frog = engineering; Bunny = Eddie.

Bring them back!

NOT the midafternooners. Oh my.

jrbaja - 7-11-2004 at 12:45 PM

Anyone read any of the fishwrap headlines in the grocery store lines or turned on a real tv show.
Kermit porn is pretty mild in my books. but, I kinda took a liken to his partner, any chance on seein her again???:lol:

[Edited on 7/11/2004 by jrbaja]

Encor

JZ - 7-11-2004 at 01:29 PM

SHORN SHEEP

Capt. George - 7-11-2004 at 01:59 PM

Heading north, Ensenada to Tecate I ran across a sheep farm, they were all shaved. I was stuck (no pun intended) there for two days. Totally lovesick!

Alas, my knee boots were no where to be found. I'm going to practice my Baahhhing,
bring my boots on my way southbound.

Please don't tell Deborah, I swore to her I would be true......

Perhaps a perminent wave would do the trick....any ideas?

Cahhhhhptain George

now....

capt. mike - 7-11-2004 at 03:20 PM

thaaaaaaaaaats funny!!:bounce::lol::smug::tumble::coolup:

THERE IS NUTTIN LIKE MUTTIN!

Capt. George - 7-12-2004 at 04:08 AM

Just when it starts to get fun....let's get going, last comic standing.....

adios for now,

Baahhhbbraas beau

Skeet/Loreto - 7-12-2004 at 06:05 AM

After reading this thread is there any doubt 'Why Columbine Massacre occurred"
'Why Las Vegas is having an Epidemic of Mental health"?Why Children are Killing Children"?
Why so many people SMOKE DOPE, BLOW THE BRAINS WITH BOOZE,MOLEST AND KILL CHILDREN"
So go . on ahead you will "Reap what you Sow" ending up in your Doage, with ruined Livers, heart Problems, maybe even AIDS living off the Govt. whining and Crying that "Those rich Folks should have paid more Taxes" so that i could have had better SMOKE! BETTER SHEEP!BETTER MENTAL HOSPITALS to take care of me
and the children I produced?

Grover< your Brains are in the Wrong Place, move them up a couple of feet!

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

Lack of sheep ?

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:44 AM

"After reading this thread is there any doubt 'Why Columbine Massacre occurred"
'Why Las Vegas is having an Epidemic of Mental health"?Why Children are Killing Children"?

whodat54321 - 7-12-2004 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
I'm going sheep farming.

Boosh Admin.><"Informed" voter

PS: I think that bunny is nodding approval...VVV

[Edited on 7-11-2004 by grover]

the scots got tired of that and invented golf

Now look what you guys

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 10:01 AM

have gone n dun to my develupment thread.:lol:
Was it on purpose? Or does smog and air conditioning really have the effect I think it has? Attention Span?
What were we talking about again?:lol:

JR thanks

Capt. George - 7-12-2004 at 10:12 AM

Thanks for the photo.....

Papa, Papa, I've finally found you!

Skeet, would you still love me if I weren't insane? Sharkey said he'd love me even if I was taller then him......

Which gazillionaire is everyone going to vote for....they're are four of them! I'm sure they're not in it for the money.....
Public Service is their goal......$220.00 a year for health care in a third world country.....I'm confused?

Never talk politics in my beloved Baja..

adios mi amigos.....El Vikingo

JR, in spite of some of your hang ups you are

capt. mike - 7-12-2004 at 03:50 PM

occaisionally a crack up! what is up with all your references to the addams family?

are you a Gomez wannabe? Morticia gets me hot!

Stay away from mine and Skeets Girl

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 03:56 PM

there fella! What hangups??:lol:

Dave - 7-12-2004 at 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

are you a Gomez wannabe?

Mike, a word of warning, don't speak French around JR.;D

Did you say French ???????????????

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 05:50 PM

Dave - 7-12-2004 at 05:55 PM

Oh God, now I've gone and done it! Gomez knows where I live.

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 06:20 PM