BajaNomad

El Salto Bass Trip January 2010

Santiago - 2-3-2010 at 07:08 AM

A great bass trip to El Salto Lake about an hour's drive (at very scary young-male-mexican-speed; 90 minutes at old-fart-speed) north of Mazatlan. This year we went for size over quanity which meant fishing Zoom's 7" magnum flukes instead of lizards and brush hogs rigged carolEEna, heh. The first photo is the 3rd cast on my birthday at 6:30am on poppers, a very nice 8-1 bass. I ended up that day with my biggest 5 fish weighing 37 pounds - not too shabby if I say so myself.[img][/img]
The next two photos are from our last hour of sunlight on the last day. We had fished this stretch of water in the morning and did real well and the guide said we would come back at sundown and it was just incredible. These two bass, at 9-1 and 10-2, were just 2 of about a dozen caught in this time period, all on flukes that ran over 6 pounds.
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
El Salto is a huge talapia fishery. If you go, try and time it for the 10th-15th or 25th-31st of the month as these days they must remove their nets. Makes fishing and boating a bit easier. We used El Salto Lodge which is not on the water but a little cheaper than the other 2 lodges.

We experienced the first fresh water boil we've ever seen. About 2 in the afternoon we came upon diving birds and water boiling as the bass were chasing shad to the surface. We cast plugs of all kinds and for over 2 hours it was 1 to 2 pounders on every 3rd or 4th cast. :tumble:

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by Santiago]

wessongroup - 2-3-2010 at 07:39 AM

Now those are some lunkers.. thanks.. such a tuff life.. :):)

bajabass - 2-3-2010 at 09:43 AM

Way to go! My trips to El Salto and Lake Huites are some of my fondest memories. Mexican bass lakes will rock your world!:bounce: