BajaNomad

TINAJA DE YUBAY (photos, directions, satellite images, old maps))

David K - 2-3-2010 at 06:50 PM

The historic water hole is along the Camino Real between San Borja and Calamajue. Today access is from the Bahia de los Angeles highway, just over 7 miles east of Hwy. 1.

From the VivaBaja GPS web page:

Side trip to Tinaja de Yubay (map datum NAD 27 Mexico) WGS84 waypoints are below the photos....

Turn north off L.A. Bay Hwy. (7 mi. E of Hwy. 1, near Km.11), signed Rcho. San Luis: 29°04.30'/ 114°02.37'

Jcn. with old L.A. Bay road, go left/ west: 29°06.34'/ 114°01.25'

Jcn. with Yubay road (right/ N), ahead/ west to Desengaņo: 29°06.83'/ 114°01.61'

Desengaņo mine ruins (on old L.A. Bay road): 29°06.97'/ 114°01.83'

Jcn. (on Yubay road), turn right/ east to Yubay: 29°09.16'/ 114°01.36' (road ahead goes several miles north)

Yubay parking/ trail head (north, uphill, out of arroyo): 29°10.28'/ 113°59.62'

El Camino Real to south: 29°10.58'/ 113°59.21'

El Camino Real, above arroyo: 29°10.54'/ 113°59.19'

TINAJA DE YUBAY historic water hole: 29°10.68'/ 113°59.22'

On the trail to the historic water hole of Yubay, which is in the canyon ahead. It was very hot and dry, the (less than a) mile hike to Yubay was undertaken by most of our group.

Tinaja de Yubay 7-2-01 :

Possibly the lowest level this water hole has been in some time. GPS: N29°10.69' W113°59.26' (WGS 84) elev. 2,059'. A fig tree grows from the cliff just to my right.

At Yubay, we take a rest as El Camote videos us. But wait....where's Debra???

Another victim of the trail to Yubay! :

Debra's cell phone is useless in this remote desert. Perhaps the well placed Viva Baja sticker will bring assistance! Very funny Debra!

Happy to get out of Yubay alive, David K kisses a boojum!

CERRO LA PALMITA:

The cone shaped hill, as viewed on the return (southboud) trip from Yubay. The desert garden here is incredible!

GPS DIRECTIONS TO YUBAY (WGS 84)

JCN. hwy.1 & L.A. Bay hwy. N29°02.76' W114°09.17' 0.0 mi.

TURN NORTH onto dirt road N29°04.31' W114°02.41' 7.0 mi.

FORK right (left is Desengano, 0.3 mi.) N29°06.84' W114°01.65' 10.0 mi.

JCN. go right (ahead to rock palm hill, 4.2 mi.) N29°09.17' W114°01.40' 12.8 mi.

RIDGE TOP, 4WD only beyond N29°10.19' W113°59.77' 14.8 mi.

END OF ROAD in arroyo/TRAIL is straight across N29°10.29' W113°59.65' 14.9 mi.

TINAJA DE YUBAY N29°10.69' W113°59.26' 15.5 mi.

note: milages are direct, not road miles.

FROM SPACE:

L.A. Bay Hwy to Yubay...

Turn north from pavement. 7 miles east of Mex. 1/ Parador Punta Prieta.

Keep left at junction with old L.A. Bay road.

Fork right for Yubay... Desengaņo mine is just ahead (worth a side trip)... old L.A. Bay road continues to Mex. 1 at Km. 270.

Turn sharp right for Yubay (towards La Palmita peak). Road ahead goes several miles passing 'Rock Palm Hill' where blue palms grow out of granite rock on the side of hills and cliffs.

End of road in sandy arroyo... 2WD should park on hill above arroyo. Trail goes directly across arroyo to short-cut to Yubay arroyo.

Tinaja de Yubay.

High view of area.

Topo map of area. Yubay is msm-13. The other arroyos point to where the Camino Real can be seen from space. See my El Camino Real from space series. Link at http://vivabaja.com/bajamissions

Beautiful Tinaja de Yubay photos from Neal Johns at http://vivabaja.com/neal2

Tinaja was overflowing with water that trip!

Here's one from Neal's web page (see the others!):

A bit closer... note the wild fig tree growing on the cliff side(left).
This is the clue you have arrived at the true Tinaja de Yubay,
less than a mile up a canyon where those traveling the El Camino Real would stop, between the mission of San Borja and Calamajue.

[Edited on 10-10-2012 by David K]

May 4, 1961 photos from Howard Gulick

David K - 2-4-2010 at 09:40 AM

The tinaja water was below the sand...

Note the fig tree growing out of the rock... In wet weather there are other tinajas before you reach the true Yubay. The fig tree is the sign you are at the true Yubay.

1974 Harry Crosby Book

David K - 2-4-2010 at 09:58 AM

In 'The King's Highway in Baja California', Harry Crosby includes this photo of Yubay taken from the rocks above the water hole. The fig tree is on the right, washed out by sunlight.

Jack Swords Photos

David K - 2-4-2010 at 10:03 AM

A few years ago, Nomad Jack Swords took these two photos near the tinaja...

Rock art at Tinaja de Yubay

This puma foot print was seen at Tinaja de Yubay. The cat was following Jack, as its tracks were on top of Jack's!

More of Jack's Baja photos at http://vivabaja.com/swords

YUBAY ON MAPS

David K - 2-5-2010 at 11:42 AM

Between Calamajue and San Borja...

1888 Map:

1919 Map (1905 research):

1930 Map:

1941 Map: ('Y' blotched out)

1962 Map: (first 'accurate' map)

1975 Map:

[Edited on 2-5-2010 by David K]

wessongroup - 2-5-2010 at 12:07 PM

Thanks that is really pretty neat.. something like that (water) out in the middle of that area is just plain amazing.. can't image folks making their way around out there 2,3,4 hundred years ago.. thanks for all the work.. enjoyed it.. :):)

David K - 2-5-2010 at 12:24 PM

Tinajas are life savers for sure... Places where water is protected from sunlight and the rock soil prevents it from draining away... Like a big tank.

As shown in the 1961 photos, sometimes the water is under the sand.

I think I can find some more old photos of Yubay, maybe from 1905... check back later!

1905 North Expedition

David K - 2-8-2010 at 04:45 PM

From Camp and Camino in Lower California...

David K - 12-8-2010 at 11:45 AM

Anyone been to Tinaja de Yubay in the past year?

Mexitron - 12-8-2010 at 12:19 PM

No, but its an area I want to explore! Be nice to see the Tinaja but that whole area is beautiful.

1907 Map

David K - 12-10-2010 at 09:06 AM

Here is the map in Arthur North's book zoomed in on Yubay and the surrounding region. North spelled Yubay as Youbai. North traveled the El Camino Real much of his trip and the x's on the map are his routes.

From north to south: Agua Dulce, Santa Maria, Calamajue, Yubay, San Borja, Bahia de los Angeles, Las Flores. South of Las Flores North rejoined the Camino Real east branch, known as the 'Golfo Camino Real' at Tinaja de Santa Maria and followed it to Santa Gertrudis.

David K - 6-16-2011 at 06:53 PM

Any new photos of Yubay this year?

In Feb. 2003, Neal and Marian Johns found a very full tinaja at Yubay!:

David K - 7-30-2011 at 10:22 AM

Just a bump looking for more Tinaja de Yubay photos... :light:

Ken Cooke - 10-9-2012 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Just a bump looking for more Tinaja de Yubay photos... :light:

Neal sent me some .kmz files of this region earlier this week. I need to give the guy a call.:light:

David K - 10-9-2012 at 09:03 PM

Yubay is a very important historic site and it is very easy to reach with a half mile hike.

Tacodawgtim - 10-10-2012 at 06:31 AM

I am heading back down to San Felipe the middle of November for a couple weeks. I just bookmarked your post. It should make a nice trip. I love calamu wash. I'll let you know but sounds like a nice trip since its paved almost all the way to gonzaga. Your directions seem spot on as we made it to agua caliente last trip down. Just have to dodge the baja 1000 racers doing their pre run. Thanks for another great trip plan.

David K - 10-10-2012 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
I am heading back down to San Felipe the middle of November for a couple weeks. I just bookmarked your post. It should make a nice trip. I love calamu wash. I'll let you know but sounds like a nice trip since its paved almost all the way to gonzaga. Your directions seem spot on as we made it to agua caliente last trip down. Just have to dodge the baja 1000 racers doing their pre run. Thanks for another great trip plan.

De nada... I would like to see your photos of Agua Caliente Canyon, hot springs, read what you saw there... etc. I did see the photo of the big barrel cactus you posted, but was there any more? Thank you!

bacquito - 10-10-2012 at 12:38 PM

Really a great and interesting report. Thanks

marv sherrill - 10-10-2012 at 03:19 PM

David I was there with some friends last year. The water was pretty low, the hike in was great with lots of little water holes along the way. The road in was pretty bad - make sure your shocks are in good shape and your vehicle is on the narrow side, and keep your arms inside the windows!
I ended up with a lap full of ocotillo and many other plant species throughout the trip! I'll see if I can locate the pictures - we used you GPS makings and only got lost because I thought your numbered GPS entrys were mile markers....I'm not a techno wizard.

Tacodawgtim - 10-10-2012 at 05:56 PM

David, when I went to Aqua Caliente last month it was pretty warm. Went with some friends. The road was washed out, could have made it in a jeep but we were in buggies and with wives. From what GPS numbers I had we were about 3-4 miles from the actual spring, just past a rancho. It was 100 + and no one felt like walking to hot springs. There is quite a bit of legitimate farming going on there. When I go back in November ill try to get back up there and take pictures, ill hike in. Opposite the large barrel cactus was some drawings on some rocks. We got in almost a mile past that.

David K - 10-10-2012 at 06:32 PM

Great! Thanks...

Hi Marv, so what happened to the folks who were going to do the Baja Calendar this year?

Ken Cooke - 10-10-2012 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tacodawgtim
David, when I went to Aqua Caliente last month it was pretty warm. Went with some friends. The road was washed out, could have made it in a jeep but we were in buggies and with wives. From what GPS numbers I had we were about 3-4 miles from the actual spring, just past a rancho. It was 100 + and no one felt like walking to hot springs. There is quite a bit of legitimate farming going on there. When I go back in November ill try to get back up there and take pictures, ill hike in. Opposite the large barrel cactus was some drawings on some rocks. We got in almost a mile past that.

Please take photos when you get a chance to. I'd like to see recent trail conditions. Thanks!