BajaNomad

Roughin' it camping in Asuncion.

shari - 2-25-2010 at 07:54 AM

Gotta love those young canucks!!! This morning's sunrise didnt stop em from sleeping in...or on top. Bobby is kinda squeamish about bugs so sleeps ontop of his truck...Billy is a tough nut and just crashes wherever...low maintenance campers...saving the last of their cash for a fishing trip!

It is the end of their baja journey...and what an epic journey it was. They promised to come and play in the nomad sandbox starting with a trip report.

The thread about all the different type of campers got me thinking about how each are unique...but many west coast canucks seem to be more...low maintenance and dont worry about a little wind or cold water....and always share their beer! these two didnt even blink when I offered them steamed calico eye balls..down the hatch paisanos!

It did the old canuck heart good having these boys around and I admit I even experienced rare moments of patriotic pride and pined for my dear old pals of the great white north...eh. sniff sniff...(that's like from the cold eh...not like emotions or nothin eh).

[Edited on 2-25-2010 by shari]

shari - 2-25-2010 at 11:16 AM

After a great morning of canadian back patting for things like the Canada-Russia butt kicking, skaters, Whistler (Bill's home town) tons of canadians from that area are travelling baja after they rented their places out for big bucks(looneys...(canadian spelling eh)...and general canuck news...these two packed up the boards they had shaped in Scorpion Bay...bags and beer ....calico in garlic butter and rice for breakfast...fish they caught yesterday...down the last ballena as we watched some blast by....heavy whale traffic this morning.

and they're OFF....B-line home to be at work on Saturday....we bid them adieu y hasta pronto and threw in a drive carefully...and watch for cows too...buen viaje y que lo via bien....I'll miss them.

DSC04907.JPG - 47kB

Mexitron - 2-25-2010 at 11:39 AM

My kind of campers....except, heh, I'm kinda squeamish about rolling off the top of my truck in the middle of the night!

Bob H - 2-25-2010 at 11:55 AM

Shari, those are TWO happy and relaxed dudes!
Bob H

lovin life!

eetdrt88 - 2-25-2010 at 08:17 PM

i need a camping trip like that about now,changes your perspective on things:cool:

BAJACAT - 2-25-2010 at 11:26 PM

Shari, Im living for Mulege on the 20th (march), I will be in your place around the 25 or 26..it's a short vacation only 8 days...can wait to be in Asuncion...

shari - 2-26-2010 at 07:56 AM

hey Cat...will you be sleeping on top of your rig? :spingrin:
it will be great to finally meet you...our nomad list grows! how many of ya?

wessongroup - 2-26-2010 at 08:17 AM

Shari.. those guys bring back a lot of memories.. used to work with a bunch of canuck's who were down for work as linemen, back in the mid 60's.. no work in the home land..

They were such a great bunch of guys.. hard working, easy going, and just plain fun to be around..

Those two look to be the same..

And understand your pride... great story :):)

They appear to be a couple of happy canuck's .... good for them.. what an adventure .. just great

[Edited on 2-26-2010 by wessongroup]

shari - 2-26-2010 at 08:29 AM

canadians in general are usually not exactly patriotic....but I gotta admit, the Olympics have certainly raised the maple leaf! It's been fun to check on Canada's progress and just see my old stompin grounds...I can barely remember what it's like to strap on the boards....or the blades....I used to skate to school.....dont get me started!

dean miller - 2-26-2010 at 08:52 AM

Red and white Maple leaf flag...

but

Where are their Tilley hats?

All Canadians should wear Alex Tilley's hats...

I am on my 4th hat and I am a Kalifornian..but wife is from Canada

sdm

oladulce - 2-26-2010 at 09:09 AM

That's funny- those faces looked familiar. Those guys camped at the beach near us for about a week- they must have stopped at Asuncion on their way home.

The bigger guy Bobby, would sit out in the water without a wetsuit waiting for waves the entire day! I don't know if this was his first time surfing but I did see him ride a few waves. Very often surfers don't talk to each other and everybody does their own thing. But Bobby was all smiles and "isn't this great,etc". We saw them a few days in a row and BigWooo and i both commented how pleasant it was even without any waves, when people were so nice.

One day (with very tiny waves) a lady was sitting on a board sort of in the bay, out of the area where waves were breaking. I was the only other person out there at the time and she waves and hollers over to me "Hi, I'm Bobby's Mum!" (which is how I learned Bobby's name). I giggled because it was so refreshing and un-surferlike.

They were towing a small "vintage" travel trailer, which Bobby said a friend let them use, but he didn't think it was going to survive the trip home...

shari - 2-26-2010 at 09:31 AM

well, I'll let Billy n bobby tell the tale of "Charlie" and his demise...but this will give you a hint of what happened and why bobby was sleeping on top of his truck!
these guys were stoked at learning to surf and bought boards in your barrio...loved it! they are like puppy dogs..full of enthusiasm, energy and love.

[Edited on 2-26-2010 by shari]

charlie nose dive.JPG - 39kB

oladulce - 2-26-2010 at 09:49 AM

:o

Stickers - 2-26-2010 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Gotta love those young canucks!!! ....Billy is a tough nut and just crashes wherever...low maintenance campers...saving the last of their cash for a fishing trip!
[Edited on 2-25-2010 by shari]

The last time I slept on the beach in Baja a scorpion gave me a sting that I can still feel 20 years later. The pain was so great that I didn't know whether to laugh or shoot myself.

If I were to do it again I would zip myself into a hermetically sealed tent after thoroughly inspecting the interior 10 times.

:o

woody with a view - 2-26-2010 at 09:11 PM

good lordy Neptune! that poor trailer. now i don't feel so bad about wrecking my surfboards on the way to BA..... it can always be worse!

BAJACAT - 2-27-2010 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey Cat...will you be sleeping on top of your rig? :spingrin:
it will be great to finally meet you...our nomad list grows! how many of ya?
No I was hopping to rent one of your houses for a few days, in my family side we are 5 and my sister side 4, a small group.We will leave to Mulege on the 20th and on the way back i will stop in your place...let me know if you need something from San Diego ...till then..

shari - 2-27-2010 at 10:42 AM

Bajacat....wooo hooo...sounds like a party!

BAJACAT - 2-27-2010 at 05:16 PM

YES mam, I like that idea, Shari you think you can set me up to go see the whales..?do you know anybody.?

wilderone - 2-28-2010 at 02:54 PM

Just got back from thereabouts. Found some nice camping on the road to San Raphael. All to myself - just the way I like it.

When I figure out how to post a photo from a CD, I'll share photos.

BajaBilly - 3-3-2010 at 10:22 PM

Well I am glad to say Bobby and I made it home safely and a lot faster without Charlito our travel trailer. Had such an amazing visit in Bahia Asuncion with Shari and Juan. It was great to travel the Baja again and meet so many great people in such an inspiring place. I am already thinking about my next trip down. So I am just going thru photos from the trip and will be putting up a trip report and maybe a few chapters about our amazing month in Baja. So glad to find out about Baja Nomad and this amazing community!

torch - 3-3-2010 at 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBilly
Well I am glad to say Bobby and I made it home safely and a lot faster without Charlito our travel trailer. Had such an amazing visit in Bahia Asuncion with Shari and Juan. It was great to travel the Baja again and meet so many great people in such an inspiring place. I am already thinking about my next trip down. So I am just going thru photos from the trip and will be putting up a trip report and maybe a few chapters about our amazing month in Baja. So glad to find out about Baja Nomad and this amazing community!

thats what it is all about!:yes::yes::yes:

shari - 3-4-2010 at 08:55 AM

wooo hooo...a big baja welcome to nomadlandia billybob!!! Great to see ya here...cant wait for the trip report.
missed ya at the big birthday bash last night....glad it's a big cloudy this morning!! got my sunglasses on.