BajaNomad

A MEGLADON IN BAJA! (It's a damn BIG shark.)

Pompano - 3-8-2010 at 09:14 AM

Mi compadre recently gave me a big OLD shark's tooth he had found while on a Baja walkabout near his home.

What a tooth, eh?

For comparison, here's a modern day tooth that I came across recently.

Researching I found: The megalodon, "big tooth" in Greek, was a giant shark that lived in the prehistoric times during the late Oligocene epoch and Neogene period, approximately 25 to 1.5 million years ago, and was a super-predator.

It looks to me like it would take about a dozen of us humans to make a meal...whew...:wow:

It was by far the largest and most powerful fish of its time. Maximum size is theorized by experts to be around 20.3 metres (67 ft) in length and 103 metric tons (114 short tons) in weight, making it the largest shark in vertebrate history and also one of the biggest hyper-carnivorous predators ever known. Fossil evidence has revealed that C. megalodon had a cosmopolitan distribution and fed upon large marine animals.

Sharks regularly lose some of their many teeth whenever they bite prey. These teeth fall out and are regrown throughout their lives.

The same held true for ancient Megladon.

I highly doubt I would have been snorkeling back then.
:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-9-2010 by Pompano]

Mexitron - 3-8-2010 at 11:39 AM

A one hundred ton shark---that's friggin scary! Actually we'd probably be to small for it to worry about eating....

capt. mike - 3-8-2010 at 12:56 PM

what's it worth?

JESSE - 3-8-2010 at 01:03 PM

Thats plenty sashimi for everyone.

rts551 - 3-8-2010 at 01:07 PM

Nice one. They can also be found in the desert by Asuncion. Sorry I don't have the GPS coordinates

ELINVESTIG8R - 3-8-2010 at 01:09 PM

That would definitely take a large bite out of your nalgas!

josie - 3-8-2010 at 01:17 PM

So what kind of lure would you use to hook that thing Pompano? :biggrin:

I'll let him know

Skipjack Joe - 3-8-2010 at 01:57 PM

jaws.jpg - 45kB

Skipjack Joe - 3-8-2010 at 02:28 PM

Just got off the phone.

Says it'll take 6 barrels.

BajaRat - 3-8-2010 at 03:57 PM

Were gona need a bigger boat..........On second thought I'll stay here and get the beer, be careful.

oladulce - 3-8-2010 at 07:16 PM

Holy Cow, I'd pass out if I stumbled across such a giant specimen in such perfect shape. It's fun just to find 2 or 3 inchers and those are rarely intact. But yours is a beauty.

Pompano, Very Cool Discovery

Gypsy Jan - 3-8-2010 at 07:54 PM

Megalodons in Baja?

This kind of reminds me of the old Saturday Night Live skit when the doorbell rings at a Manhattan apartment, and this very passive voice says, "Pizza". They open the door and then somebody gets eaten.

Good times! :lol: