BajaNomad

Sunday's Fiesta at JR's and meeting BajaCactus & Jesse was Great!

David K - 7-12-2004 at 06:56 PM

First off, I was holding back mentioning our little party hoping I could figure out the digital camera I got yesterday, so I could have photos with this post. When I figure out how to get the camera and pc to talk to each other, I will get them on line right way. JR took some photos, so he can show those, I hope.

The Fiesta: Our new amigo 'BajaCactus' (Antonio) invited a few of us to a family picnic so we could meet. What a feast it was, too! Antonio came with his wife, parents, family friend and his brother-in-law (a superb chef). JR offered his beautiful ocean view home for the location, and I came with Baja Nomad (Doug) and his family. Baja Bernie was there as was Jesse and his girlfriend. I will have all the names when I get the photos on line.

This was the first time Doug or I had met Antonio and Jesse, and we were very much impressed with the muy grande amigo greeting we received. It was a wonderful day of exchanging thoughts and great food (mussels, carne asada, shrimp, nopales, chorizo, and more great food) and Mexican beer (including Mexicali, Tijuana, Tecate, Pacifico, Carta Blanca...).

I believe this was a beginning and a great cross-border meeting of Nomads with the future of Baja travel and mutual benefits in mind.

The Bajo California Movie Party will be a coming event and a future Baja Nomad fiesta in Baja was discussed.

I am going back to working on getting the many photos from Yesterday online... So, I invite JR, BERNIE, JESSE, BAJACACTUS, or DOUG to add their comments...

[Edited on 7-13-2004 by David K]

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:07 PM

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:17 PM

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:18 PM

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:20 PM

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:22 PM

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 07:26 PM

David K - 7-12-2004 at 08:07 PM

JR, did you get any closeups of the people? Antonio and Jesse have not been 'seen' by the Nomads... I have many closeups, and Doug is trying to help me with this camera. I can sure see the food made a big impression, however!:yes: Yes, it was good!

The 2nd photo above of the open van's back end shows Doug and Antonio talking while I am sitting in Bernie's van with Bernie. Under the umbrella is Antonio's brother in law, Hector.. the master chef!

FrankO - 7-12-2004 at 08:11 PM

David, get a card reader(what kind of memory does your camera use?), it is a whole lot easier and faster than using the camera's software. I got one that reads 8 different kinds of cards for I think less than $30 at CostCo. What kind of camera did you get?

Cyndarouh - 7-12-2004 at 08:32 PM

Now that says it all, every one enjoying the view the water and The food looks out of this world Yum. Looking forward to the rest of the pictures. Close ups of Baja Buds. JR, whats for dinner Sat? Now I am hungry again.

tim40 - 7-12-2004 at 08:32 PM

I just finished a wonderful dinner .... and you managed to make me hungry...food & baja! Look forward to other posts

David

jrbaja - 7-12-2004 at 08:38 PM

do you have the cable for your camera and cd ?

Card readers are the way to go...

Mexray - 7-12-2004 at 09:05 PM

David, you can get em' at all the chain electronic stores...Best Buy, Good Guys, Wal-Mart, Target, etc...they are quite cheap. Most will read several sizes of camera memory cards, make sure it will read the one from your camera...if you take your card reader with you, you can load pic's from your camera to a friends PC, quite easily, when traveling, etc.

Also, I noticed that Wal-mart was selling several memory cards really cheap last week...depending on which card you have, you can get another with more memory for more photos, and keep your original as a back-up...

Save your pocket change in a cookie jar so you'll be able to up-grade to one of the new SLR (single lens reflex) digital cameras that are now on the market...with more to follow, and prices will no doubt be dropping - these new SLR's handle just like their 35mm film cousins - the shutter 'snaps' and captures the picture when you hit the button - no delay, as many of the cheaper digital cameras are want to do...and you'll be taking pic's like the pros!

tunaeater - 7-12-2004 at 09:08 PM

What a fun day everything looked great. Nomads should put together something like this real soon. We are all getting hungry and could use a pacifico about now. Thanks for the pics Paul

David K - 7-12-2004 at 10:06 PM

[Edited on 7-18-2004 by David K]

Here's Doug and Jesse...

David K - 7-12-2004 at 10:13 PM

JR, David K and Baja Bernie

David K - 7-12-2004 at 10:22 PM

FrankO - 7-12-2004 at 10:36 PM

Oh man! I didn't get invited. I am soooo hurt. :lol::lol::lol: OK, not really.
That's some weird shiiiiiite right there. And, no, I'm not a wife beating misogynist. I am somewhat of a loner, though, so I can appreciate an intimite gathering among friends.
Looks like it was a good time.

David K, Baja Bernie, BajaCactus

David K - 7-12-2004 at 11:46 PM

Mexray, you may recognize my shirt and hat! (from the Matomi 2004 Tour, Ray made for us)

Sunset at JR's Sunday 7-11-04

David K - 7-12-2004 at 11:56 PM

That's all for tonight folks! I will work on reducing the photo sizes and show more pics after I do or make a web page. Doug, edit if you have to...

Thanks to all those Beautiful Smiles!!

Skeet/Loreto - 7-13-2004 at 05:21 AM

It makes this "Ole boys Heart' pound a little to see the happiness on the Faces of True Lovers of Baja!!

Bernie and David K. , how come you guys do not appear to get Older? Must be the Light in your Eye and the Song in your Hearts.

Going through the "Change of Life" at 73, is sometimes difficult, not being able to Visit Our Beloved People and Baja, as much as I would like causes me to get "Cranky" on Ocassion!

Please keep up the Song in your heart and the Gleam in your Eye for that next Adventure, Lost Mission, or Book.

God has truly Blessed you!

Skeet

David K - 7-13-2004 at 07:17 AM

Thank you Skeet... I hope you get south soon amigo (it's what keeps us young!):yes:

Yep David

jrbaja - 7-13-2004 at 07:21 AM

Ya flipped me off and called me a jerk. I assumed that was a message from all the whiney little chicken coop group bags of wind pretending to know Baja.
That would definitely include the Margster.
We definitely had a blast, in spite of our differences. No big deal disagreeing on things when there is a feast like that going on.
David and I can disagree on many things, pee each other off because of our different beliefs, and continue to at least listen to what each other is saying. Then sit down and have dinner together.
I expect and hope for this to continue. That way, I know what he is up to.:lol:

Cyndarouh - 7-13-2004 at 07:51 AM

David and JR, Thanks for the Wonderful Pictures. Looking so forward to sunset this week end. Agree, Disagree and share food, sunset, enjoying and sharing the Love for Baja. We are all blessed.

David K - 7-13-2004 at 07:52 AM

It's our love of Baja that overcomes the other stuff. I think Antonio (BajaCactus) could see that in our posts and that is why he reached out to us to come together for this initial meeting.

I regret Margie did not read my first post in this thread and will understand that. It's like if Margie threw a party for people she wanted to know, but couldn't feed or have room for them all. Should everyone else be mad and call her party a clique meeting?

Doug was there because he created this vehicle for us all to utilize for Baja exchanges; Bernie writes books about the people and places in Baja; Jesse is a fellow Mexican who has been on both sides of the line; JR has passion for the mountain people and is an activist bringing them aid and supplies and invited us to meet at his place; I am the 'Baja connection' for many, and frequent traveler for almost 40 years there. Antonio and I have been emailing and u2u'ing a lot, as well.

Antonio provided the great food and prepared it, too... very much appreciated by us!!!

This small family picnic was a start, a first meeting for bigger gatherings that will be coming... I hope nobody else feels the way Margie does and understands that Antonio is reaching out to improve his relationship with us and his other clients and this was a first step.

bajalou - 7-13-2004 at 09:48 AM

Don't know what's up but I can see all of JR's pictures but none of David's - just little red X as a place holder - no pics. Will try later and see if they come thru but any ideas anyone?
My Fuji camera downloads to the computer as fast as the cardreader does. And occasionally I want to transfer a file from one computer to another, I copy it to the camera memory card and then back out to the other one. Handy if you don't have a memory Thumb stick handy.

Why can't I see David's Pictures?????

:(:(

Hola Lou

jrbaja - 7-13-2004 at 10:01 AM

When I first posted mine, that was happening to me too. Today they are working fine???????????Both Davids and Mine.
Keep trying amigo.

Second try

bajalou - 7-13-2004 at 10:10 AM

same thing - but will keep trying Thanks JR

:biggrin:

Bob H - 7-13-2004 at 10:47 AM

Hey, didn't you have any food?
LOL :lol:
Looks like a good time had by all.
Bob H

David K & JR

Baja Bernie - 7-13-2004 at 12:23 PM

Your pictures have disappeared again and I am glad--'cause in the first picture captioned, blank, blank, and Bernie I am the only one who is not there. David, I think I would return that new camera of your because it is faulty---IT MAKES ME LOOK OLDER THAN THE HILLS!! I don't need that in my middle years.

Skeet you are so kind.

Neal Johns - 7-13-2004 at 03:05 PM

I'll back you up, Bernie. It's a bad camera! I'm not going to let him take a picture of me, no way.
:lol::lol::lol::D:bounce:

Bajalou, right click on the little x and select Show Picture. Then pat your stomach and rub you head, ain't Microsoft grand?

Current picture of me taken by my camera:

A RELATIVE NEWBIE

Capt. George - 7-13-2004 at 03:23 PM

It's great just being a newbie to Baja, forgot how great this site could be and lost a lot of time......I've been stateside now for about 2 weeks....I'm already freakin out.....Deborah northbound beginning of August, looking for a ride to San Diego Airport.....We'll both be back home (Baja) in mid Setember........how will we last that long......Looked at Baja the first time back around the mid eighties...just got here last year.....all those years....just glad to be a newbie now !!!!! el Vikingo

It gets better Sr. Vikingo

jrbaja - 7-13-2004 at 03:32 PM

but, I recommend hurryin every chance you get if you want to see why it used to be so incredible here. The true Baja spots are becoming fewer faster.
It is soon to be developed!
This here stretch would like to be considered private by the gringos that live there.
Fortunately, Mexican law doesn't quite see it that way.

Neal

Baja Bernie - 7-13-2004 at 04:44 PM

Thanks for the support, us middle aged guys need to hang together.

Watch out for that dragon comin' up behind you. Woops! it be one of your wives so you really better run.

Baja Nomads are the greatest....!!!!

BajaCactus - 7-13-2004 at 06:01 PM

Hi everyone....:D

I just came from El Rosario, and before anything else, I wanted to post this message.

First of all, I want to deeply thank DavidK, BajaNomad, Baja Bernie, Jesse and JRBaja, for giving up their sunday in order to spend a few time with us.

Special thanks to JRBaja for lending his beutiful home for this gathering and for Carol, his companion, who is a wonderful and cheerful person... thanks JR.

We had the best of times this sunday, and I would like everyone to know that all who attended really impresed me... all of them are very nice, great and unique individuals, I am so glad we have met and truthfuly hope this is the beggining of a long lasting friendship.

We have previously discussed, via e-mail and u2u, the neccessity to have a BajaNomad gathering, so we can strengthen and boost our respect for each other, as well as our love to Baja, therefore I invited the few bajanomads I had been in contact with, in the short time I have been in this forum, to organize this, because, personally, I would love to meet all Baja lovers.

We talked about it, and hopefuly, very soon, we will be able to acomplished this... what we have talked about is a "Bajo California" movie party and also a Baja Nomad gathering in Baja.

I want to thank Doug (BajaNomad) for making this possible thorugh this board and also DavidK for being always so possitive and an easygoing guy (he is the same in person). I would also like to thank Bernie, who through his books transmits to all of us the joy and pleasure of stepping in Baja land (If you do not have his book you should be buying one from him already....).

JR, keep up all that beutiful job you are doing in south Baja, it is really impressive and I know it takes a huge spirit to make it happen... count with BajaCactus in all your efforts to help out.

I enjoyed so much the company of everyone in our meeting, that I deeply hope we get to make this ALL NOMADS BAJA GATHERING.... just imagine... it would be awesome.

You now, this is what we all love about Baja... the opportunity to have a relaxing time, alongside with some fine friends and great food.

I hope to meet you all very soon.. and I promise I will bring my broher in law (the chef).....:spingrin:

Antonio M.

BEFORE IT'S GONE

Capt. George - 7-13-2004 at 06:50 PM

JR, we'll only be going stateside 2 or 3 times a year for a couple weeks...lost too many beautiful spots up here during the course of my life....we plan on seeing as many of the hidden spots that our time will allow......

Baja Cactus, count Deborah and I in on any future Baha Nomad gatherings...would be great to put faces together with all these words we shoot back and forth....

adios mi amigos el vikingo

bajalou - 7-13-2004 at 07:56 PM

I've only met a couple of the Nomads that were at the party, JR and David K. but it sounds like a great one. Let me know whenever other get to gethers are happening - I'd like to meet you all.

And now, it's a little early, but I'll throw this out--

On Dec 31 2004 - a Friday - New Years Eve. at 12 noon - we have a little party here at Teina and my place in San Felipe. We'll smoke 4 or 5 20 lb. turkeys, fix some dressing, gravy, candied yams and a little more and the wonderful friends and friends to be bring a little to share and we all have a great time. Later you can go rest so that night you can party harty.

A few of the people thaqt post on the board have been to these (this is the 9th one) and will attest to a great time with great people. Lar year about 130.

Soooo - all you Baja Nomads out there, if you're anywhere in the area, come on by and join the party. We'd love to have you.

:biggrin::biggrin:

Great Pictures and Posts

academicanarchist - 7-13-2004 at 08:00 PM

Great pictures and posts. It's good to see what some of our friends on the boards look like. I hope to meet Jesse and Antonio some time in the future as well.

Neal

bajalou - 7-13-2004 at 08:10 PM

Thanks for that "right click" tip works wonders -

Lytle Creek probably is a little different than the last time I was there in 65

:biggrin:

David K - 7-13-2004 at 08:19 PM

Thank you Antonio... THIS is what makes the Internet so much more than just an information source... Meeting Baja People!

Jeans was perhaps the first to invite 'strangers' to meet and have pizza before a Discover Baja slide show.

Tim Walker (TimsBaja.com) and I had our first personal meeting in San Clemente and invited some amigos to attend. The Humfreville's, elgatoloco's, Carlos Fiesta, M, Graham Mackintosh, Ferna de Tijuana, Lorenzo de Baja, Wild Bill, David Eidell, Dick Van Bree, Jens (Baja-Web) were some of those who were invited and were there.

That San Clemente meeting was so well received that 'Viva Baja' (my party's name) was organized to regularly meet in an afternoon & evening in So. Cal. and share our peninsula excitement (there have been 4). A San Felipe area camping party followed the first Viva Baja with Shell Island and Matomi Canyon being the destinations of each full day during Presidents Day weekend, thanks to El Camote. Last Presidents Day we repeated the fun with a campout at Nuevo Mazatlan.

Boojum Buddies Baja Bash (BBBB) was created by M to have more camping parties in Baja often with great prepared food! (there have been 4).

I see our gathering on Sunday as being simular to the San Clemente meeting and the beginning of a new series of Baja Nomad Fiestas or Baja Cactus Fiestas?

I will be more than happy to help, and then see as many of us (who want to) become personal friends.

Viva Baja Nomad y Viva Baja Cactus!

Photo Web Page Finished!

David K - 7-14-2004 at 12:10 AM

Here's more photos from my digital camera and in a web page so everyone can view them without file size problems as the ones above are for some folks...
http://community-2.webtv.net/matomi2004/bajacactus

Neal Johns!

Skeet/Loreto - 7-14-2004 at 05:33 AM

Neal: The Photo of you reminds me of a "Midget Twigget" i flew with on a PBY6A Catalina out of North Island in August of 1953.
Also remember standing in line at "Painless Nells" Tattoo shop in downtown San diego with a Sailor that sure looks like you. Did you get a Tattoo?

And if so Where?

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust"

I.B.Travelin

jrbaja - 7-14-2004 at 07:50 AM

Thank you!

Neal Johns - 7-14-2004 at 11:47 AM

Skeet, I was a Twidget, but no tattoo. When I do get one it will be a rabbit running down a hole. :lol:

I woke up this morning, and my gosh, look what happened (a trip to Baja would fix this)::

Still Smilin!

Capt. George - 7-14-2004 at 12:08 PM

You still look like a sailor, just no uniform!
Must be the Baja air, hope it does the same for me!!

El Vikingo:lol:

David K - 7-14-2004 at 06:12 PM

Neal, you sexy dog! No wonder you have 'Wives in waiting'!!!:lol::O:light:;)

jeans - 7-14-2004 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Jeans was perhaps the first to invite 'strangers' to meet and have pizza before a Discover Baja slide show.

And no one was more "strange" than you & Neal Johns. That was February of 2000?

I don't think this would surprise anyone, but the only answer I got to my very first post in the spring of '98 was....Neal! He didn't answer my question but he tried to recruit me for a Desert Explorers trip. I think he surfs the web cruising for women to add to his waiting list.:lol::lol:

Neal Johns - 7-15-2004 at 09:02 AM

OK, you guys and gals, quit picking on a harmless old Baja guy who is too shy to stand up for himself! :rolleyes:

Otherwise.......I will have to sic Marian on you!:o

HUBBA, HUBBA!

Capt. George - 7-15-2004 at 09:05 AM

Why Neal, you lucky dog,

musta been the sailor suit......

el vikingo

Neal Johns - 7-15-2004 at 09:18 AM

Hubba Hubba?
We are getting old, Capt.!
No one else will remember that expression.:lol:

OLD!

Capt. George - 7-15-2004 at 10:36 AM

Neal,

I'm just a meer 59 year old baby boy....
Sharkey and Skeet will remember, in fact I think they coined it!!!!

el vikingo

JESSE - 7-15-2004 at 01:51 PM

Hi everybody, yes it was a great day down at JR's pad, i am very glad i meet each and everyone of you, and the food was outstanding!!!! Cactus was a great organizer and like i said before, the food his brother in law was great, even my girlfriend had to tell me to stop eating so much, it was that good. JR is a great host too and i am so jealous of his great ocean view, he had cool photos of Baja for us to see and his Bamboo art looks like something he will make money out of furnishing the homes of the big cats down south. David is a great guy, the kind of guy you can debate something with without loosing your head, sure would like to tag along to see Baja with him one day. Bernie was warm and you could tell when a man is wise when he says little and expresses a lot, i am looking forward to reading your books soon ( Your sticker is already in the bumper of my car, thanks!). Doug brought his family and i was very happy to see that he has a great family, we where specially impressed by the love his family has for one another, and my girlfiend tought his little kid was simply adorable, your doing a great job Doug, keep it up!!!

As for everyone else, i guess we had a genuine Baja family picnic, complete with food, beer, dogs, ocean view, good friends, family, sandals, great stories, and great weather.

Can't get much better than that, god bless you all.

Jesse

WISH WE HAD BEEN THERE

Capt. George - 7-15-2004 at 01:55 PM

Perhaps the next time

el vikingo y deborah

We all did...

BajaCactus - 7-15-2004 at 07:44 PM

We all had a great time Jesse, and I agree completely with everything you say...

As we talked it over at our reunion, we will have a big one soon..... I am looking forward to it....

My Impressions of the Fiesta

Baja Bernie - 7-16-2004 at 10:31 AM

This party was just like so many others that I have attended over the years in Baja. Great food, good people, and just a touch of booze. I have waited to post this so that I could try and place my finger on what made this so very different. I believe that I have isolated that single factor that made it such a different event.
It was the fact that a few people, mainly Baja Cactus, David K, and JR who got together with a few like minded people. People of two different cultures AND looked each other right in the eye and discussed things of mutual interest and were able to SEE & FEEL what the other person was believing (could have said thinking but believing IS the real word).
That said, I am so proud that I was included in the group of caring people. I feel so strongly that this was just a seed that hit a moist spot in the minds of a few and that this seed will grow into something far larger. BUT! I doubt that this will happen without much loving care by the original participants of this group.
Hey! I just had to throw this into the mix---Baja is People Helping People!

Antonio,
You are quite a man who has a very good vision of what he wants to do in life. This was your idea and I salute you for it. I hope to be able to call you, more than, a friend as you expand your horizons. I know that you and your gracious wife will have a fine child and that you dad will be a wonderful grandfather just as he has been a father to you. How else could you have become the open and friendly person that you are.

Profesor?s Antonio and Miguel---Antonio?s father, his friend Miguel and I talked and talked and learned a lot about each other and I hope to meet them both again.
To give you an idea as to how our conversations went. Neither of us could speak the others language with any great degree of sureness. Sometimes Antonio would call for his sons assistance and then I would call on David K (surprised at how well he hablas) to make a point. But talk we did. Miguel is a history profesor and history is my main hobby so I learned a lot.
Anyway, As we parted Antonio the Senior apologized for his poor spoken English, I laughed and said, ?why, I don?t apologize for my poor Spanish, besides we have been doing a pretty good job of communicating from the heart.? At this I touched his heart and mine. --AND YOU BET COMMUNICATE WE DID.

Jessie
I've been waiting and thinking about you and the impression you made on me at the fiesta. No, it was not the lovely lady you were with! You surprised me as I told you then. After joisting with you here about PAN-vs-PRI and PRD and your comments about the government across the border I had a very strong image of a man who had been around for a good while. A guy in his late forties. What a surprise to meet a young buffed out guy who stood so tall and straight. What a delight to meet you. As I told you then we can still argue, and I look forward to it, but I gotta say I was very happy to find a young Mexican guy was so angry with the "BS" that is going on by most of the politicians on both sides of the border. Happy because for far too long guys just like you have ignored them for way to long. Let's hope that your generation will honestly run the country one day without becoming dinosaurs yourselves. That, I believe, is the key to unlocking the true future of Mexico.

Viva El Grito!!

Maestro Hector,
What a cook you are and to think you used to be a cop too. It was obvious that he loved what he was doing and he got a twinkle in his eye as he watched us consume everything he served. JR's pictures will tell you that we consumed a ton?all much more than good because it was seasoned with friendship.

Viva los Estados Unidos!!

Viva Mexico!!

Thanks to everyone for making this such a special day I my life.

Okay, David. YES! Viva Baja

[Edited on 7-16-2004 by Baja Bernie]

[Edited on 7-16-2004 by Baja Bernie]

Me No - 7-16-2004 at 08:18 PM

Wow, that is fine looking grub at that cookout!:lol:

[Edited on 7-17-2004 by Me No]

Same here....

BajaCactus - 7-17-2004 at 06:08 PM

Bernie.... I think that what you described here was felt by everyone.

I remember that when you were about to leave, you told me that you could see the good vibes all around... that could look at them and even cut trough thet when walking around....

Well.... I think you were right.....

Thank you for your kind words my friend....:D

Antonio M.