BajaNomad

Best GPS?

SDRonni - 3-18-2010 at 08:47 AM

We need to invest in a portable GPS system. Saw Magellan, Tom Tom and one I can't remember the name of at Costco. Any personal opinions as to what's best?:?:

David K - 3-18-2010 at 08:50 AM

Garmin... there are Baja maps availabe for Garmin Nuvis see www.LBMaps.com

SDRonni - 3-18-2010 at 09:11 AM

Garmin! That was the one I couldn't remember!

rts551 - 3-18-2010 at 09:17 AM

portable... like in hiking? or for your car like the Nuvi?

Pompano - 3-18-2010 at 09:21 AM

My recommendation is: Garmin is tops in GPS.

I use a handheld GPSMap76 model. Used it 2 days to waypoint and map our trail from Mulege to mountain plateau 35 miles west of Mulege to see the Pacific to the west and Cortez to the east.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=169&ra=true

I also use this model to drive around the USA, Canada, and Mexico. Pretty much foolproof..which is mandatory in my case.

[Edited on 3-18-2010 by Pompano]

Garmin e Trex

cristobal - 3-18-2010 at 09:54 AM

I have a GARMIN e Trex handheld

One sold on EBAY last week with shipping for $57.00.:wow:

It was NEW ...:yes:

:spingrin::yes::saint::smug::P:P:P:P

DENNIS - 3-18-2010 at 10:02 AM

I need one that will help me get home from Sharkey's.

Paulclark - 3-18-2010 at 10:11 AM

We use a Lowrance -- and most of the racers use Lowrance -- but it is used for mapping during your pre-run and then following your map during the race. Good for mapping back roads and routes that are not on existing maps. You can buy maps for it.

SDRonni - 3-18-2010 at 10:31 AM

This would be for the car, but don't want to get one you have to have installed. We're not back-roaders, just old farts who'd like to do some road travel, and would like to have one that automatically updates.

Hook - 3-18-2010 at 10:48 AM

Since you are admitted old farts, get one intended for the car and not a walk-around model. They have much bigger screens and you can actually SEE details on it.

toneart - 3-18-2010 at 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I need one that will help me get home from Sharkey's.

That should be part of the "service", getting you home safely. They want you back again...or maybe not.:rolleyes:

Or, get a dog. They know the way home. :lol: That's my hi-tek advice for the day (or night, as the case may be).:coolup:

The problem is...

Dave - 3-18-2010 at 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart

Or, get a dog. They know the way home.

Dennis' dog knows how it's gonna turn out so he goes home early. :rolleyes:

Debra - 3-18-2010 at 11:37 AM

TomTom 340sl, 4in. screen for our old eyes, 3D, it talks to you. US, Canada and Mexico maps, when you screw up (because the hubby knows more) it even gets you back on track, it also somehow, haven't figured out how, turns around and gets you back to where you came from. We loved ours so much we bought a second one, his and hers. Expensive in the store, about $300, but, do a search online and you can get it for about $125.....this thing is so cool it somehow reads your speed and tells you how many hours/minutes you are from you destination....on a recent trip home from San Francisco to Port Orchard (Seattle area) we pulled up at the house the exact minute it said..

BornFisher - 3-18-2010 at 12:18 PM

Love the Garmin touch screen (Nuvi) with keys that say stuff like "space" and "done". So simple to use even a cave man (or old fart) can do it.
About a million Points of Interest (gas stations, hamburger joints, you name it). Wish mine had a scale though!!

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2010 at 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SDRonni
This would be for the car, but don't want to get one you have to have installed. We're not back-roaders, just old farts who'd like to do some road travel, and would like to have one that automatically updates.

if for car, get the biggest screen available (bigger screens cost more, but more user friendly). most of the automobile models are similar (touch screen, etc).

mount below dash (if above dash, the light is distracting when driving at night)

if you got an iphone or blackberry or droid or similar smart phone, you already got a good system and can skip putting another one in car.

if traveling paved roads in baja, you really don't need gps, as there are so few roads that maps are pretty easy to use.

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2010 at 01:52 PM

i'm looking too

but...

no where to mount the thing

window mount is illegal and i dont want to drill the dash

so...

i'm looking for the mount first

also take a look at the hotel listing
some don't provide telephone numbers

you get a better rate if you "call ahead":o

mount.jpg - 19kB

triarts - 3-18-2010 at 04:42 PM

bob & susan, go to arkon.com for a mount, i got the one that fits in a cup holder in my expedition.. my friend uses one that clips on to air vent, but i think it would take its toll on rough roads. got a nuvi 200 w for about 120.00 last year at target. didn't have time to get baja map but took it anyway, it wrote the road all the way to punta baja for me

David K - 3-18-2010 at 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Debra
TomTom 340sl, 4in. screen for our old eyes, 3D, it talks to you. US, Canada and Mexico maps, when you screw up (because the hubby knows more) it even gets you back on track, it also somehow, haven't figured out how, turns around and gets you back to where you came from. We loved ours so much we bought a second one, his and hers. Expensive in the store, about $300, but, do a search online and you can get it for about $125.....this thing is so cool it somehow reads your speed and tells you how many hours/minutes you are from you destination....on a recent trip home from San Francisco to Port Orchard (Seattle area) we pulled up at the house the exact minute it said..

Just how detailed are the Baja maps on that Tom Tom?

SDRonni - 3-18-2010 at 06:00 PM

You guys are great! Thanks for all the input! Hadn't thought about getting one on ebay cheaper.......great idea!

Debra - 3-18-2010 at 07:03 PM

David, I don't know, haven't used it in Baja yet, what I do know is if you are an owner you can use their web-site and download any thing you might need.

SdRonni.....don't go to ebay, just do a search for "TomTom" I got my second one from a discount store that I'd never heard of, (and was a bit apprehensive of) but, got in in 3 days I wish I had kept the shipping invoice so I could give better info. Sorry...

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2010 at 07:27 PM

i saw the cup holder ones but
the cup holders are real low

i want something i can see
up by the steering wheel

the vents are BIG circle things
and i would hate to tear them up with scratches
since you look straight at them

rts551 - 3-18-2010 at 08:02 PM

They have the been bag type holders. They are meant for the dash but could be used in other places?

Hook - 3-19-2010 at 09:16 AM

Yeah, I have one of the bean bag base ones for my 60 CSX and I really like it. It has a non-skid surface on the bottom and moves easily from vehicle to vehicle. I position it along the left edge of the windshield in the corner. Easy to glance at and almost no visibility blockage. Sometimes it can slide a bit on REALLY gnarly roads but a little bit of non-skid tape on the dash where it sits would solve that. I really dont use GPS for dirt roads much.

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2010 at 09:33 AM

anybody here with smart phones try google maps, verizon navigator or iphone gps maps in baja??? which worked best?

i am hoping that forthcoming ipad will have gps with mobile map capability -- that would be great navigation screen for use in car.

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2010 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

i am hoping that forthcoming ipad will have gps with mobile map capability -- that would be great navigation screen for use in car.

hey, i answered part of my musing:

this sounds cool,...

Update: March 15, 2010: Apple has provided some additional updates and information about the iPad's GPS and navigation features. Apple states: "iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."

This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning.

The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy in a wide range of conditions, including urban environments, which can block or bounce GPS signals.

Other iPad mapping features are similar to those on the iPhone, including using Google Maps and related services, ability to switch between map, satellite, and terrain views, and turn-by-turn directions.

tripledigitken - 3-19-2010 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Quote:

this sounds cool,...

Update: March 15, 2010: Apple has provided some additional updates and information about the iPad's GPS and navigation features. Apple states: "iPad with Wi-Fi finds your location using known Wi-Fi hotspots, and Wi-Fi + 3G models use Wi-Fi, GPS, and cellular towers. So you can get routes, get directions, and get there in no time."

This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning.

The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy in a wide range of conditions, including urban environments, which can block or bounce GPS signals.

Other iPad mapping features are similar to those on the iPhone, including using Google Maps and related services, ability to switch between map, satellite, and terrain views, and turn-by-turn directions.

What would this have to do with reliable GPS reception in Baja?

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2010 at 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Quote:

this sounds cool,...

What would this have to do with reliable GPS reception in Baja?

well, if ipad has a gps chip/reciever with reliable GPS reception outside of 3G network, it will mean the end of dashboard-mounted after-market GPS units. why not buy a single unit that does GPS and email and books and videos? -- and take it in car, boat, plane, backpack, etc.
ipad is on the streets in early april.
i am thinking of ditching blackberry, to go with flip phone for voice, and ipad for everything else.

tripledigitken - 3-19-2010 at 10:09 AM

Cell reception has to be equal to US to consider its use in Baja wouldn't you think? You can't rely on cell service in 60% of Baja, so your fancy phone is just an address book 40% of the time.

Great for the US though. I love the GPS in my Blueberry.:cool:

Ken

spelling edit

[Edited on 3-19-2010 by tripledigitken]

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2010 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Cell reception has to be equal to US to consider its use in Baja wouldn't you think? You can't rely on cell service in 60% of Baja, so your fancy phone is just an address book 40% of the time.

Ken

spelling edit

knucklehead,
gps works with satellites, not phone network. if your phone has gps receiver it will work for navigation when off the phone grid

tripledigitken - 3-19-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Ken

spelling edit

knucklehead,
gps works with satellites, not phone network. if your phone has gps receiver it will work for navigation when off the phone grid

You still have to have to receive the signal via cell towers or wifi how will that happen in baja reliably? Help this knucklehead out will you?

....This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning....

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2010 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ken

spelling edit

knucklehead,

You still have to have to receive the signal via cell towers or wifi how will that happen in baja reliably? Help this knucklehead out will you?

....This clarifies the difference between the WiFi models and the the WiFi+3G models. The three WiFi models, selling for $499 (16GB), $599 (32 GB), and $699 (64GB) will NOT have a built-in GPS chip, and will rely on Wifi positioning....

this is what i read

"The three Wifi+3G models (available in late April at $629, $729, and $829) will have fully functional AGPS chips built in that will use GPS satellite positioning, plus Wifi/cell tower positioning for greater accuracy..."

sounds like it will have a gps chip :bounce:

tripledigitken - 3-19-2010 at 10:41 AM

http://gizmodo.com/5015930/giz-explains-what-you-didnt-know-...

Iphones use a combination of GPS, Wifi and Cell signal to function.

Knucklehead

mtgoat666 - 3-19-2010 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
http://gizmodo.com/5015930/giz-explains-what-you-didnt-know-...

Iphones use a combination of GPS, Wifi and Cell signal to function.

Knucklehead

hey knucklehead:
well my blackberry also uses both gps and tower signals for positioning -- and when i am out of cell coverage it can tell me location based on gps alone. i think the ipad will have same, so in remote boonies such as baja all you may need is maps on hard disc that work when out of cell tower range. (on blackeberry, the map graphics are not on hard disc and only available when in cell phone range)
sincerely,
bighead

DENNIS - 3-19-2010 at 11:39 AM

What's this? I thought I was Knucklehead. Is everybody Knucklehead now or are you getting confused?