BajaNomad

Johnson Ranch

rts551 - 3-19-2010 at 08:40 PM

In 1961 the hwy ended before Colonet. Dirt/wash board road for 15 miles or so before you reached the old gas station (yes with a glass bowl) below the church which was the turn off to San Antonio del mar. We used to go Camp at San Antonio Del mar (the Johnson Ranch) in the wash the led to the ocean.. The bravce ones would cross the wash in their camper/car so they could have a little more privacy..

Before we headed on out we would take clothes (for kids) to Mama Hernandez (at the beginning of Colonet) who had a house with a group of buildings in the back . The ruins can be seen today, but that is another story for another time.

Anyone else remember the Johnson Ranch at this time?

fandango - 3-19-2010 at 08:51 PM

haven't heard about johnson ranch in a long time! camped there about that time, maybe 62. travelled in a huge old truck with camper.

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 3-19-2010 at 09:18 PM

Hola, damn. you guys are really the pioneers that have paved the way for us " young uns " to enjoy and i for one, thank you every so very much. i really cannot for the life of me even comprehend how gene kira and others traveled throughout baja with " wimps " like me worrying about gas or other minimal needs. and...that was before paved mex 1, wow, what pioneers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyway, a GRANDE ( pardon the caps ) gracias for letting us enjoy what you haved paved for us. it truly is unimagineable !!!! you guys are really tough MF'S !!!! OOPS, MAYBE I'LL GET BLEEPED !!!!

GRACIAS Y BIEN SALUD, DA RAT !!!!

rts551 - 3-20-2010 at 07:36 AM

VW bus/camper

David K - 3-20-2010 at 09:40 AM

We also went to San Antonio del Mar beach, just south of the giant sand dunes to camp and fish... The gas station at Colonet was 'Bradley's Rancho Grande' originally a Chevron station... I last got gas there in the 1970's with the glass reservoir on top. The old Johnson Ranch was a bit inland from the coast and an important stop on the really old route south of Ensenada... Thanks for a great post Ralph!

Here's a 1927 AAA map showing the old route:

wessongroup - 3-20-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
In 1961 the hwy ended before Colonet. Dirt/wash board road for 15 miles or so before you reached the old gas station (yes with a glass bowl) below the church which was the turn off to San Antonio del mar. We used to go Camp at San Antonio Del mar (the Johnson Ranch) in the wash the led to the ocean.. The bravce ones would cross the wash in their camper/car so they could have a little more privacy..

Before we headed on out we would take clothes (for kids) to Mama Hernandez (at the beginning of Colonet) who had a house with a group of buildings in the back . The ruins can be seen today, but that is another story for another time.

My Dad started taking us kids down there in the mid 50's called it Johnson Ranch .... we used to make a right turn at what at that time was an old adobe fence... and follow the wash on down to the beach.. but, would camp a bit to the south of the wash road in behind the sand dunes in the pickle weed.. the last time I was there was 1970... folks were really starting to use the beach area for campers on pickups and a few were bringing in small trailers.. maybe 19-20' with pickups at that time... in the early days.. I don't remember anyone really being around.. and it seemed that the road stopped even before that... seemed like around San Vaciente but, that was a very long time ago..

Really did not know the names of things at all... just where to turn to get over to the beach.. for clamming and surf fishing.. and general messing around.. we did not have toys like today.. seems there was a green building on the left going south.. and there was a air strip also.. Doctors used to fly in and give free medical services to the local folks that lived in the area.. one of my Dad's friends... Dr. Bob Swenson, and a Dr. Robert Johnson used to go down and give free time to folks.. after my Dad had taken them both down for a couple of weeks to the Baja, just to get away... they fell in love with the place.. no phone's, no pressure, no nothing.... but, quite, peaceful beautiful county, beach and the people, when you bumped into them were kind to a fault...

Good memories for me..... thanks :):)

David K - 3-20-2010 at 06:33 PM

In the 1960's the pavement ended 72.8 miles from Ensenada at Rancho Arroyo Seco. This was 3.9 miles north of Bradley's gas pump (San Antonio del Mar road jcn.) on the north edge of Colonet.

It was a wide washboard road all the way to San Quintin with most traffic detouring on either side to avoid the washboard. Pavement on south began in 1968 and reached San Quintin by early 1973... Km. 0 on the south side of San Quintin (Lazaro Card##as) is where the NEW Transpeninsular Highway construction began, using a narrower road bed... and met the road crews coming north from Santa Rosalia later in 1973 at Rancho San Ignacito (south of Cataviņa). Pavement was completed in November of 1973.... and the highway was officially opened on Dec. 1.

rts551 - 3-20-2010 at 07:09 PM

You have it right. In the late 50's early 60's the road was further away than 3.9 miles. and yes we all called it the Johnson Ranch. It wasn't until later as more people came in that it lost the name of the ranch. In the beginning very few people ventured that far..It wasn't until later that the ranch started charging for access and more people came in. By that time we wewee going further south.

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Quote:

My Dad started taking us kids down there in the mid 50's called it Johnson Ranch .... we used to make a right turn at what at that time was an old adobe fence... and follow the wash on down to the beach.. but, would camp a bit to the south of the wash road in behind the sand dunes in the pickle weed.. the last time I was there was 1970... folks were really starting to use the beach area for campers on pickups and a few were bringing in small trailers.. maybe 19-20' with pickups at that time... in the early days.. I don't remember anyone really being around.. and it seemed that the road stopped even before that... seemed like around San Vaciente but, that was a very long time ago..

Really did not know the names of things at all... just where to turn to get over to the beach.. for clamming and surf fishing.. and general messing around.. we did not have toys like today.. seems there was a green building on the left going south.. and there was a air strip also.. Doctors used to fly in and give free medical services to the local folks that lived in the area.. one of my Dad's friends... Dr. Bob Swenson, and a Dr. Robert Johnson used to go down and give free time to folks.. after my Dad had taken them both down for a couple of weeks to the Baja, just to get away... they fell in love with the place.. no phone's, no pressure, no nothing.... but, quite, peaceful beautiful county, beach and the people, when you bumped into them were kind to a fault...

Good memories for me..... thanks :):)

David K - 3-21-2010 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
You have it right. In the late 50's early 60's the road was further away than 3.9 miles. and yes we all called it the Johnson Ranch. It wasn't until later as more people came in that it lost the name of the ranch. In the beginning very few people ventured that far..It wasn't until later that the ranch started charging for access and more people came in. By that time we wewee going further south.

The 60's (and 50's) were a long long time ago... (in a galaxy far far away)...

My parents and I first went down the Pacific side past Colonet in 1966, and that year the pavement did end a few miles north of Colonet/ Bradley's Rancho Grande...

[My dad said "This is where the adventure begins!"... I have always appreciated the END of PAVEMENT since then!!!]

But it seems it was paved to there much earlier, according to guidebooks. Perhaps between 1955 and 1962 the pavement deteriorated and was again re-surfaced... like the road to Puertecitos had been?

I didn't remember the exact mileage, so I checked my LCG for the figure... To be sure, here are some other books that confirm at 4 different times between 1955 and 1970 the pavement ended in the same place. My 1970 Auto Club guide still has it ending at Arroyo Seco, north of Colonet... so I guess the expanding of pavement to San Quintin wasn't until that year (earlier I had thought I read it had started south in '68 or '69). We traveled south of San Felipe those years and didn't go on Mex. 1 until summer of '73, when pavement ended about 40 miles past El Rosario.

History is my hobby, so I don't mind confirming data...

Here is the 1956 edition of the Lower California Guidebook:

(3.9 miles from end of pavement...)

Here is the 1962 edition of the Auto Club Baja Road Log:

(pavement to 19 miles from San Vicente, Johnson's Ranch turnoff 4 miles later)

Here is the 1967 Lower California Guidebook:

(3.9 miles...)

Here is the 1970 Cliff Cross Baja Guide:

("4 miles past the end of pavement...")

One more time

chuckmccullough - 3-21-2010 at 01:22 PM

This is a painting my Dad had done from a B&W photo of the Johnson Ranch. The Ranch was in our family until the mid 1970's.

For more history on this ranch and the Johnson family you should read the book Where The West Never Died".

[img]http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/chuckmccullough/?action=view&current=JohnsonRanch1920.jpg[/img]

I don't think that my pic is displaying, so here's a new one.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m141/chuckmccullough/John...

[Edited on 3-21-2010 by chuckmccullough]

Johnson Ranch 1920 II.JPG - 50kB

rts551 - 3-21-2010 at 01:58 PM

Very nice Chuck. Our family would stop and talk to whomever was at the ranch in the lat 50's and very early 1960's

when they put in a booth to charge for access in the mid 1960's we helped with the concrete floor work

[Edited on 3-21-2010 by rts551]

DENNIS - 3-21-2010 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckmccullough

For more history on this ranch and the Johnson family you should read the book Where The West Never Died".

[

Wasn't this book about the Meling Ranch? I used to have it, but lost track of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Old-West-Never-Died/dp/B0022X4A4...

DENNIS - 3-21-2010 at 02:09 PM

I think I answered my own question:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B0022X4A40/ref=dp_im...

Where The Old West Nerver Died

chuckmccullough - 3-21-2010 at 04:34 PM

Most of the book is about the Melings, but the first part of the book contains infomation on Harry Johnson and Ella Prather Johnson.

Oggie - 3-21-2010 at 05:54 PM

I think Earl Stanley Gardner talked about staying at both the Johnson and Hamilton ranches in is baja books.

rts551 - 3-21-2010 at 06:38 PM

But David. The beauty was staying there. Fishing, claming, camping.. You are so caught up in the details of mileage you lost the whole point of the post. The beauty is in the visit. Not the mileage!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
We also went to San Antonio del Mar beach, just south of the giant sand dunes to camp and fish... The gas station at Colonet was 'Bradley's Rancho Grande' originally a Chevron station... I last got gas there in the 1970's with the glass reservoir on top. The old Johnson Ranch was a bit inland from the coast and an important stop on the really old route south of Ensenada... Thanks for a great post Ralph!

Here's a 1927 AAA map showing the old route:

David K - 3-22-2010 at 09:11 AM

No, just giving some details on the history of Hwy. 1... I did mention that we camped south of the giant sand dune... fished a bunch... played on the dune. I last went there in 1980 with my ATC 110... rode down the beach towards Cape Colonet and found a bottle with a message in it.

Here's the book mentioned above...

books 042.jpg - 38kB

Vince - 3-22-2010 at 05:47 PM

My parents were great explorers. Many times they would bring my brother and me to Baja starting in the late '40's into the early '50's. We stayed at both the Johnson Ranch and Hamilton Ranch on the way to and from San Quentin. We traveled in a WWII Jeep and then an army Recon car. Surf fishing was high on the list as was meeting and talking with the old timers.

David K - 3-22-2010 at 07:26 PM

Would like to see you write a book Vince!:light:

rts551 - 3-23-2010 at 05:04 PM

surf perch I imagine

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
My parents were great explorers. Many times they would bring my brother and me to Baja starting in the late '40's into the early '50's. We stayed at both the Johnson Ranch and Hamilton Ranch on the way to and from San Quentin. We traveled in a WWII Jeep and then an army Recon car. Surf fishing was high on the list as was meeting and talking with the old timers.

David K - 3-24-2010 at 10:18 AM

Corbina (our favorite) when we fished there...

Mooboys - 11-19-2010 at 04:18 PM

Wow... this is a delight to find. I didn't know this forum existed. If the Johnson Ranch mentioned here is the same one that is close to San Antonio del Mar just off of a dirt road from Colonet, then yes, it's the same on I've been going to for over 30 years. As a matter of fact I just got back from there last weekend. I went to drop off my parents.

My name is Frank and my family (my mom and her immediate family) currently owns the Johnson Ranch. My grandfather bought it in the early 80's. It's been in my family since. I used to spend my whole summers there as a "ranch hand" because I wanted to be a cowboy as a kid.

Anyhow, something I had never seen there at the ranch was that earlier this year during the rain season... we had more water pour down than I had ever seen. So much that the land near where the Eucalyptus trees are was pretty much a lagoon for some days. It was a delight to see it with rain, especially since we had a rough drought 2 years ago where we lost quite a bit of cattle.

Well, it is a pleasure to meet this forum and i hope it continues!

-Frank

David K - 11-19-2010 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooboys
Wow... this is a delight to find. I didn't know this forum existed. If the Johnson Ranch mentioned here is the same one that is close to San Antonio del Mar just off of a dirt road from Colonet, then yes, it's the same on I've been going to for over 30 years. As a matter of fact I just got back from there last weekend. I went to drop off my parents.

My name is Frank and my family (my mom and her immediate family) currently owns the Johnson Ranch. My grandfather bought it in the early 80's. It's been in my family since. I used to spend my whole summers there as a "ranch hand" because I wanted to be a cowboy as a kid.

Anyhow, something I had never seen there at the ranch was that earlier this year during the rain season... we had more water pour down than I had ever seen. So much that the land near where the Eucalyptus trees are was pretty much a lagoon for some days. It was a delight to see it with rain, especially since we had a rough drought 2 years ago where we lost quite a bit of cattle.

-Frank

Hi Frank and welcome to Baja Nomad!!!

It is great to have you here to share some history and travel stories.

Looking forward to more...

David

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 08:30 PM

Welcome Mooboys Frank and please write more !! Give us a sense of history from your perspective !! Did you fulfill that dream and become a cowboy ?

wilderone - 11-21-2010 at 08:48 AM

Frank, tell us what's been happening at the ranch over the past 30 years? Do you have a lot of guests? Raise cattle? Didn't famous people used to stay here and hunt? Tell us some stories.

David K - 12-4-2010 at 08:22 AM

Too bad we only got one post from Frank... Could have become real interesting!

schwlind - 12-4-2010 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mooboys

-Frank

Well hello Frank and welcome to the forum...

We pass Johnson's Ranch and the Johnson Ranch Road everytime we go to San Antonio Del Mar... this past May, we saw a number of newly born calves there, who were just too adorable...

Before the huge rains that washed out many bridges in Baja, we used to go down the main dirt road past the Johnson Ranch Road and go to the lagoon and take a sharp right... and cross over the ever present stream in the lagoon via a bridge we all contributed to build. That bridge was washed away during the rains... and I never knew how to get to our house via the beach.

So we now must use the Johnson Ranch Road to get to our houses on the bluffs above the ocean, just north of the lagoon.

Linda

I think last May is also when a bunch in our group went over to Johnson's Ranch for the calf branding. (I didn't go... I would have been cryin over the calves!)

David K - 12-4-2010 at 05:26 PM

Photos of this would be great!:light:

Mooboys - 12-5-2010 at 01:33 AM

Greetings all once again. I'm sorry I hadn't written back. I'm glad to share with you that I had the luxury of spending a wonderful Thanksgiving at the Johnson's Ranch just this past Holiday. It was a double blessing for me because we (my immediate family) celebrated my parents' 50th wedding celebration. It was so beautiful. We had asked the local priest if he would reside a service for them and he gladly accepted. It was held in the little chapel as you enter the dirt road towards San Antonio del mar. It was very special because my whole family gathered there. I have 8 siblings and some live as far as Texas, but they all made the trip out for this special occasion.

My parents were very delighted to have their 8 kids and 10 grandkids present for the occasion.

Thanksgiving was on Thursday as tradition has it, but we didn't eat Turkey that day at the ranch, instead we had some of my mom's "Ranch Made" Pozole. I'd like to hope and think that all readers would know what that is and has had the luxury of having some, but just in case, it's what's also known as hominy stew.

Since their special service was going to the next day (Friday), we had our turkeys then. I will also share that as a gift, all members of the family together collated a binder of memories and photos to give to them. Not only that be we each took turns in reading some of the memories to them. Let me tell you that many of the memories included those shared and experienced there at the ranch.

I will definitely get some pictures uploaded soon enough to share with all.

Mooboys - 12-5-2010 at 01:47 AM

I am very fascinated to read the memories and History that the Johnson Ranch has had. Especially about how it would offer food and lodging. I wish that would still happen today to be quite honest with you. It sounds like it was very much alive and eventful there. I can only share the aliveness it has now with my family but I love reading so much about the past.

I'm really interested to know more about the actual Johnson's whose tombs are present still today. There was a time when the names and details of the tombs would be almost fading away but we made sure to touch them up a bit so they are still visible as when originally set on their tombstones.

I read somewhere that the Johnson's first bought the ranch for $30. I'm not sure if anybody else has any knowledge of this family but I'd ver fascinated to know any little bit.

On the tombstones, they read : John Johnson and Mary Johnson. Which if I'm not mistaken, were buried back in 1906 and 1907. Next to theirs is a second tombstone that reads "Luella Waldrip" of only 17 years of age. (1900-1917)

Obviously these are before many of our times but seeing how so much history is known about it from reading this forum, I wonder if anybody else know something about them.

On occasion (as early as this last Thanksgiving), some of us would take a walk at night to the tombs and pay a visit to them. We have also decorated them with many clam shells that we set aside from eating so many giant clams there.

We currently have a care taker looking after the ranch but when my family is there, any and all are welcome to stop by and pay a visit. If my mom happens to be there at the time, she would gladly share some of her home cooking that may include home made flour tortillas and or even some fresh cheese that has be processed from our very own cattle there. Our care taker's wife makes this delicious cheese there.

I take a big delight in sharing as much as I can with you all and I apologize for taking longer than I anticipated in posting again.

Happy Holidays to all!

-Frank

Mooboys - 12-5-2010 at 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by schwlind
Well hello Frank and welcome to the forum...

We pass Johnson's Ranch and the Johnson Ranch Road everytime we go to San Antonio Del Mar... this past May, we saw a number of newly born calves there, who were just too adorable...

Before the huge rains that washed out many bridges in Baja, we used to go down the main dirt road past the Johnson Ranch Road and go to the lagoon and take a sharp right... and cross over the ever present stream in the lagoon via a bridge we all contributed to build. That bridge was washed away during the rains... and I never knew how to get to our house via the beach.

So we now must use the Johnson Ranch Road to get to our houses on the bluffs above the ocean, just north of the lagoon.

Linda

I think last May is also when a bunch in our group went over to Johnson's Ranch for the calf branding. (I didn't go... I would have been cryin over the calves!)

Greetings Linda, I'm glad to hear you still go by the Ranch. I know the rains definitely washed out many of the roads and especially that bridge.

I know many shared some concern as to how they can get around now. I wish I can help in some way to help the community there at the beach get the path restored. Unfortunately we don't have the machinery easily available to restore that road and bridge. I understand Bill (neighbor of the Johnson's Ranch) has machinery but obviously his services would need to be paid for. I can't say that I am very involved in the decisions that take place at the ranch with such matters, but obviously a community exists only when we all take part in helping each other out.

We used to ourselves cut straight across our ranch to get to the beach and after the heavy storms and wash outs, we now go around to the junction and take the road to San Antonio del mar from there. On occasion, we do still cut straight across but only as we enjoy a pleasant walk while seeing the cattle and newly born calves as well.

Glad to read from you all!!!

Mooboys - 12-5-2010 at 02:11 AM

Going back to my original post, I only fulfilled the dream of being a cowboy during my summers there. I still wish that I could give up my city life and just be a ranch hand working the farm and being on my horse overlooking the cattle all day :-).

As I could I would enjoy running in full gallop my horse on the beach and I clearly remember in my mind seeing the sand kick up in the air as i would turn back as the horse would freely gallop very close to the waters edge. I did however grow up and become a Dallas Cowboys foot ball fan, hence "Mooboys" :-)

Let me tell you that although I've been going for soo many years now, on the day I'd have to start my drive back to the states, I would take a small walk and pause (many times) to look around me and capture the scene from the skies... the eucalyptus trees... the cattle and take such deep breaths as I soak it all in. Heck I even enjoy hearing the coyotes howl in the evenings.

But yes, it's hard to leave the ranch and when I'm there it seems like time just flew! But i tell you, I definitely do escape from the routine life of T.V., internet, electricity, traffic, phones and instead, breathe in nature and it's beautiful surroundings. Although I do admit, I wouldn't mind having the luxury of internet access there because if it was present at a decent speed, I would be able to work remotely more often from there than having to go in to an office in the states. :-)

I can't recall if any famous people have gone there during my time there, but I did catch a few Baja !000s and 500s there. I remember seeing Iron Man Ivan Stewart race by in his Tundra. The cattle guard would make for a pretty good jump.

I do remember though that many occasions some hunters from somewhere in Switzerland would visit and ask for permission to hunt and camp at the corral of eucalyptus trees and we were always happy to extend the welcome.

wilderone - 12-6-2010 at 09:45 AM

"I'm not sure if anybody else has any knowledge of this family but I'd ver fascinated to know any little bit."

I believe Dwayne Meling (www.meling.com) and scholar/writer Michael Mathis could tell you some stories about the Johnson ranch. Make inquiries and then share with us.

Terry28 - 12-6-2010 at 10:35 AM

Frank, You are very cool.......

BajaBlanca - 12-6-2010 at 10:58 AM

sure would be interesting to know about the lives of those buried there in the 1900's ... so far from the US or maybe they were British or ???

David K - 12-6-2010 at 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
sure would be interesting to know about the lives of those buried there in the 1900's ... so far from the US or maybe they were British or ???

It is a great history... Norway is the homeland to many!

Tomorrow I will post some stuff... good night for now! zzzzzz

Where The Old West Never Died

David K - 12-7-2010 at 08:40 AM

Harry Johnson (the founder of the ranch) was born in 1844 in Denmark and came to America in 1863... then moved from New York to Texas where he went to work for a rancher... and fell in love with his daughter... In 1888, Johnson came to Ensenada and bought the land near Colonet (Colnett).

It was Harry Johnson who named the new ranch 'San Antonio del Mar'... The first adobe house and plantings of eucalyptus trees is described... he then sent for his family to join him and leave Texas for good.

There are so many great stories in this book about the Johnsons and the Melings... I highly recommend you get it!

The book has been reprinted and you can (should be able to) get a copy from one of the Meling Ranch family members, a Baja Nomad... Here is his post on the book: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=19199

[Edited on 12-7-2010 by David K]

chuckmccullough - 3-20-2011 at 05:10 PM

Mooboys - I've sent you a U2U message please reply. :biggrin::biggrin:

David K - 3-20-2011 at 11:03 PM

Hi Chuck... That was a few months ago... Still good to see you here.

How about an update on things at the Meling Ranch or whatever is interesting?

David K - 1-12-2013 at 07:38 PM

Bump up Johnson Ranch post...

Mooboys - 7-31-2015 at 10:28 AM

Greetings all! It's been a long time I know... but I have a small present for you all from my recent trip to Johnson Ranch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ3mzydsXkU&sns=em

Hope you enjoy.

-Frank

David K - 7-31-2015 at 11:28 AM

Thank you Frank!

baja43 - 7-31-2015 at 02:48 PM

Thank you, Frank. You perfectly captured the mellow feel and expanse of our little corner of paradise. Our little casita is about two miles due west of the Ranch and is our #1 destination these days. Hope to see you down there one of these days.

David K - 4-18-2019 at 04:23 PM

Bump

chuckie - 4-18-2019 at 05:13 PM

Staretd going there about 1956-57 Don't remember much, except the HUGE clams...

Fatboy - 4-18-2019 at 07:38 PM

Ah, back when posts and threads were civilized and fun to read...

If any of the original posters ever revisit this thread I want to just say...

THANK YOU!!!!

David K - 8-3-2020 at 04:07 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Fatboy  
Ah, back when posts and threads were civilized and fun to read...

If any of the original posters ever revisit this thread I want to just say...

THANK YOU!!!!

We could use more trip reports and stories from Baja's past ... but, may not happen until Covid is over!