BajaNomad

Shell Island (Laguna Percebu) in Y2K

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2010 at 09:29 PM

Back when I was with Amigos de Baja and David K talked me into driving my Ford Ranger south of San Felipe for fun in the summer sun!

Steve "Hot Shot" Schott, his wife Val and my ex-wife Suzanne were all there for the fun. Good times in 2000!

Going for a spin in David's gold Toyota Tacoma.

Driving back to our camp spot on the tip of the peninsula, we happened upon these unfortunate souls who tried to cross the muddy lagoon during low tide. The water was filling in the lagoon fast, and their Jeep XJ would possibly become a casualty if David didn't act fast! :O

A Jeep CJ was also on the scene, and it looked like a recovery effort would ensue...

Jeep recovery...BAJA STYLE!

Ken Cooke - 3-30-2010 at 09:37 PM

That's Val on the left, and David in the middle. He had water in his ear, so he was tilting his head to the left. :lol:

Steve's Warn winch and doubler did the trick. His 8,000# winch did the trick while the Jeeper stood by and watched.

Our new friends were deeply endebted to us. David talked to them about his love of Baja and we all shared some beers on the sand.

After the vehicle recovery, we sat on the sand and watched Steve fish the afternoon away...

[Edited on 3-31-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Stickers - 3-30-2010 at 09:57 PM

Nice post Ken, a perfect Baja day -

Bob H - 3-30-2010 at 10:33 PM

Wow, 10 years ago! Nice update Ken
Bob H

Sur2baja - 3-30-2010 at 10:36 PM

I'll be in that same spot on Monday. Out on that point at low tide,in the morning, on the quad with cup of coffee, with the pelicans surrounding you is my favorite place on earth!

David K - 3-31-2010 at 01:52 AM

Cool photos of the trip to Shell Island with you and Hot Schott...
Thanks for posting them here and on Facebook...

That was in 2001 or 2002... I didn't have a Tacoma in 2000, until the end of that year (it was an '01). he Cherokee that was crossing the lagoon at low tide was owned by Mexicali police officers... they gave uis their name and told us if we ever need help in Mexicali to ask for them!

As you recall, the incoming high tide had just reached the Cherokee when the efforts by us saved it! I call is Shell ISLAND for a good reason!

[Edited on 3-31-2010 by David K]

BornFisher - 3-31-2010 at 08:21 AM

I was down there Sunday after the San Felipe Arts and Blues festival. These ladies managed to stay out of the Percebu quick sand and didn`t need any assistance from me, but did pose for a picture. Ha-- this will add a little color to this thread!

San Felipe r2.JPG - 43kB

David K - 3-31-2010 at 09:24 AM

I met Ken the first time in Oct. 2000 at my Viva Baja party in San Clemente:

Here's Ken on Shell Island that same trip he took the above photos, it was a year or two after we first met, and Hotschott was also there... You guys camped with Hotschott at Guadalupe Canyon for BBBB-2 in November of 2001, so I am thinking the Shell Island trip was the summer after BBBB-2 or maybe before?:

David, You're Right!

Ken Cooke - 3-31-2010 at 05:07 PM

Summer 2001 - I had a trailer that I was pulling (and my Kayak). The trip led Suzanne and I across the peninsula to "Shipwrecks" (via Valle de Trinidad) and up to the Sierra de San Pedro Martir. The truck's transmission was fried and then followed a fast recon trip to get the truck back into the USA.

Crazy times. :yes:

David K - 3-31-2010 at 05:39 PM

Yup, your Ford incident even was included in Graham Mackintosh's third book 'Nearer My DOG To Thee' (c2003) when he stayed up in the Sierra San Pedro Martir for a summer (in 2001).

All photographic proof was promptly disposed of.

Ken Cooke - 3-31-2010 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Yup, your Ford incident even was included in Graham Mackintosh's third book 'Nearer My DOG To Thee' (c2003) when he stayed up in the Sierra San Pedro Martir for a summer (in 2001).

I think Suzanne has a copy of the original photo of her and Graham and one of his dogs in his camp that summer.

David K - 4-1-2010 at 08:26 AM

I was just posting a couple of photos of Graham in the Titanic thread (since he was in the movie)... and found this one with you and Graham (just stepping out of the photos) in the same picture... This is John M, Ken Cooke, Baja Angel, and Graham (well half of Graham, anyway!):

Ken Cooke - 10-19-2017 at 08:24 PM

Great photos, David! This was a trip down memory lane.

David K - 10-20-2017 at 07:58 AM

Any chance you can repost the photos that vanished during one of Nomad's re-boots?

Ken Cooke - 10-20-2017 at 10:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Any chance you can repost the photos that vanished during one of Nomad's re-boots?

I migrated the majority of my Baja photos to Photobucket.

David K - 10-21-2017 at 08:43 AM

Okay, so if you can't post because you have a free account, email them to me and I will post them for you. The Photobucket 3rd party sharing problem hasn't yet affected us who pay for extra storage.

Ken Cooke - 10-21-2017 at 09:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Okay, so if you can't post because you have a free account, email them to me and I will post them for you. The Photobucket 3rd party sharing problem hasn't yet affected us who pay for extra storage.

I will be on it in the next several days. Work has been unrelenting, I have a mini music tour coming up in two weeks, promotional materials to prepare, I'm overworked in different areas at the moment.

David K - 10-21-2017 at 01:10 PM

Ken, just send me the link to the album with those old photos and I can do the rest!

David K - 10-22-2017 at 09:29 AM

This one was funny: