BajaNomad

California Deserts Again?

DianaT - 4-8-2010 at 07:14 PM

For no real reason, last week we decided to wander around some of the California Deserts again for a few days. A few more pix taken by both of us are located at This Picasa Album

After driving a back road near Fraizer Park, we drove through the Carrizo Plains. It was VERY windy as a storm was coming, but it was beautiful

Tom enjoyed kicking back in the windy flowers

We had thought about sticking around another day or so, and maybe heading for the coast, but that storm was coming, so we headed east on Highway 58 not knowing for sure where we were going.

After an uneventful night in the thriving community of Buttonwillow, we drove across the lower Sierras and it snowed on us in Tehachipi---so on we went.

We headed toward Trona because we had never been there before---always a good reason to go somewhere. Beyond Trona we discovered a road with a sign that said Trona Pinnacles and we had never even heard of them, so off we went across the wide open desert.

I just love old railroad crossings, cars, and all things train. I sure miss cabooses---it has not been the same since they were retired.

Where, or where are those pinacles.

I think Tom and Maggie see them!

Just like the strange things that grow in Mono Lake, the Trona Pinnacles are tufas, but they are in a dry lake.

Up close---a really interesting place in the middle of nowhere.

But we were off again---decided to head north a little. Opps, there was another place we had never been.

I laughed when I saw the most interesting thing in this semi-ghost town. I found it, I found it!

I had seen it before! Skipjack posted a picture of it on another one of my travel threads---he thought he had taken the picture at Goldfield, but I believe it was Sunman who said he thought it was the old Manson family truck at Ballarat Ghost Town---I had never heard of Ballarat at that time, but there it was. It is reported that Tex Watson used this truck to run from the law.

The area around here is beautiful this time of year.

But off we went---took a back road into Lone Pine and headed for one of our very favorite places, Bishop---no stops on the way there. And in Bishop, where we spent the next day, we took no photos because we were busy looking at property for sale. Yes, we are considering relocating, at least for a couple of years.

This ole gal led up around one area.

And her group was rather high pressure.

It was Spring Break and even though the weather was still a little cool, and there was a lot of wind, we decided to head through Death Valley the next day. We knew it would be crowded. But off we went to Big Pine and out the road headed toward the Bristol Cone Pines

First stop was the Eureka Dunes where we have not been before, but will go back and visit again! Such a good thing they are protected.

Always on the move, we headed on the back road into the main part of Death Valley----I really love the shapes and colors of many barren moutains.

With so many people there, we did not stop a lot, but did catch some of the tiny wild flowers that are especially thick in the southern part of the Park. Having a macro on his lens, John was able to capture the tiny, tiny blooms.

And my favorite pix that John shot.

And a rather strange and interesting plant

Didn't stick around--really crowded. Hoped to find a place to stay in Baker, but there is no where to stay there---well one old place that wanted $100.00 for not a very nice room, and another one that had all the charm of Bates Motel. So off to Barstow.

The next day was the day before easter, so we decided to head toward home to avoid the rush----but did not want to take the Interstate all the way---so we back tracked a little on a back highway and cut through a rather crowded----

Yes, Joshua Tree. We made a few photo stops---not many.

From there we like to continue on the back road to Mecca, and then past the Salton Sea. Then we made a rocket run back to San Diego.

Thank you for looking. So many more places out there we have not visited---yet. Good old Tom is ready to hit the rails once again.

Diane and John

[Edited on 4-9-2010 by DianaT]

Ken Bondy - 4-8-2010 at 07:41 PM

Magnificent Diane! Absolutely stunning. I am out of superlatives, this is just a fantastic set. OK I came up with one more superlative :) ++Ken++

BornFisher - 4-8-2010 at 07:46 PM

Awesome pics, thanks for that. You have a reason to go everywhere....... to take those beautiful pictures. I mean, who needs a destination?
Love to get you into geocaching, then EVERYWHERE is a magical destination!

DianaT - 4-8-2010 at 07:56 PM

Ken, thank you very much!

BornFisher,
We often think the best destination is the one that is found along the way to another unknown destination. :biggrin:

Natalie Ann - 4-8-2010 at 08:18 PM

Really really great pictures, Diane and John!
I just loved this trip. Thanks for sharing the highlights.

nena

irenemm - 4-8-2010 at 08:48 PM

Thank you both so much for the trip. I could not have taken it without you both. I hope to joint you again on another venture.
wating for the book
thanks
Irene

longlegsinlapaz - 4-8-2010 at 08:52 PM

AWESOME pics!!! Thank you both, along with your cast of supporting characters, Tom & Maggie!

ursidae69 - 4-8-2010 at 08:59 PM

Wow, those wildflowers are intense! I need to make another trip to Death Valley someday, so much to see and not enough time... :)

DianaT - 4-8-2010 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Natalie Ann
Really really great pictures, Diane and John!
I just loved this trip. Thanks for sharing the highlights.

nena

Thanks---just can't spend enough time in that area, out soaking in some Vit D from the sun. :biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
AWESOME pics!!! Thank you both, along with your cast of supporting characters, Tom & Maggie!

All four of us say thank you. Now off to build a wind break to carry around with us. :yes:

Quote:
Originally posted by ursidae69
Wow, those wildflowers are intense! I need to make another trip to Death Valley someday, so much to see and not enough time... :)

This year is a good one as they had 7+/- inches of rain, and all of the areas are just beginning to bloom. They are late because of the weather. Some of the flowers are sooooo tiny --- can't be seen from the car. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by irenemm
Thank you both so much for the trip. I could not have taken it without you both. I hope to joint you again on another venture.
wating for the book
thanks
Irene

We never tire of traveling and will happily take you along!

bajafam - 4-8-2010 at 10:14 PM

wonderful!! thanks so much for sharing!

Sallysouth - 4-8-2010 at 10:19 PM

WoW! That took my mind off of all my stress for a few minutes.Going to send this to My daughter, has cancer, to share what you have captured.Thank you.

BajaBruno - 4-8-2010 at 10:30 PM

Very nice work. You and the camera seem to be getting along quite well.

Frank - 4-8-2010 at 10:44 PM

Great use of DOF . Your composition in every photo was "picture" perfect.

tripledigitken - 4-9-2010 at 02:37 AM

Love that part of the world, and you captured it very well.

Ken

Cypress - 4-9-2010 at 06:11 AM

Diana T, Thanks for sharing your desert tour. :yes: The dogs, Springers or Brittanys?

k-rico - 4-9-2010 at 06:57 AM

The "shadows in the dunes" photo makes a great desktop background!

Outstanding shot.

Sunman - 4-9-2010 at 08:22 AM

Now thats what I call a road trip...great pics!

mtgoat666 - 4-9-2010 at 09:19 AM

nice photos.

eureka dunes are a great hike, rewarded by some great slides back down, if you bring a board or cardboard. view from the highest dune is great

DianaT - 4-9-2010 at 09:26 AM

Thank you all for the very kind comments. So many places to explore over and over in those areas. It is one reason we are considering moving to Bishop at least for a couple of years. We have always loved that area.

Sunman, we seem to always be covering too much territory at one time, but there is always just one more road to check out. :biggrin:

Sallysouth, my thoughts are with your daughter that she will be OK---never good news to hear.

We are having a great time and just hope to win the lotto soon so we can purchase our wish list----not a cheap hobby.

Cypress, the big dog is a Welsh Springer Spaniel---not a common as an English. Our last dog was an English, but the English have become the victim of popularity and careless breeding, so they are having some real problems with some of them. The little one is our rescue, part c-cker and some kind of terrier, we think. ]

Goat, we were going to do more climbing---next time. It was getting to warm for our dogs to stay in the truck and besides, the jets kept flying over very low and scared the heck out of the big dog

Again, we do appreciate all the comments---actually, we appreciate both positive and we always appreciate any critiques and suggestions.

Looking forward to getting back to our Baja home.

Diane and John

[Edited on 4-9-2010 by DianaT]

Mexitron - 4-9-2010 at 09:33 AM

Amazing photos! I love those CA roadtrips---you can see so much varied terrain in so small an area...

Martyman - 4-9-2010 at 09:42 AM

At first I thought the name of the ghost town was Baharat

Skipjack Joe - 4-9-2010 at 12:49 PM

Nice images Diane. I'm partial to the landscape following the truck and red buds on the ocotillo.

Heather - 4-9-2010 at 01:23 PM

Loved the trip. Thanks for posting! Saludos, H.

josie - 4-9-2010 at 06:20 PM

More wonderful pics Diana. You have a good eye and an excellent camera!

Bajahowodd - 4-9-2010 at 06:34 PM

Hey, D. There's no way I could possibly improve over those who have posted previously. Just kudos. Amazing. Only thing, and I'm totally ready to be beaten up, is that what the heck do you do in your spare time? Just wondering if you and your hubby decided to eschew witness protection???

:biggrin:

DianaT - 4-9-2010 at 06:56 PM

Again, thanks---really happy others have enjoyed some of these and take the time to comment. :yes: We enjoy wandering and taking far too many pictures that end up deleted.

Skipjack, I was quite pleased with the landscape you mentioned---I liked the variety and the color. And I was serious when I said I laughed when I saw that truck---I really liked your photo of that same truck and remembered it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Only thing, and I'm totally ready to be beaten up, is that what the heck do you do in your spare time? Just wondering if you and your hubby decided to eschew witness protection???

OK, color me slow tonight --- would be happy to attack, but not sure why? Then again, I don't attack like some others do, I only defend. :biggrin::biggrin:

[Edited on 4-10-2010 by DianaT]

Skipjack Joe - 4-9-2010 at 08:49 PM

Same truck.

DSC00065.jpg - 44kB

DianaT - 4-9-2010 at 09:04 PM

Looking at your model, it is easy to see your photo was taken a few years ago---he has changed a little since then. :yes: But it looks like the truck is in the same spot and not much has changed except maybe a few more weeds.