BajaNomad

Wild Cactus

Barbareno - 4-18-2010 at 04:50 AM

I have been trying to find The Baja Book to buy online. Not having any luck.

But I did stumble across Wild Cactus by George Huey. Can someone recommend it or others?

[Edited on 4-18-2010 by Barbareno]

bajajudy - 4-18-2010 at 06:51 AM

What book are you looking for?
We have "Wild Cactus" here in San Jose

Baja Plant Book

tehag - 4-18-2010 at 06:52 AM

Baja California Plant Field Guide
Norman C Roberts
Natural History Publishing Co.
La Jolla CA

Barbareno - 4-18-2010 at 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

I was looking on the internet for The Baja Book by Tom Miller and Elner Baxter....there is a discussion about the authors and book in General Discussion. Looks like an interesting read from the sounds of it.

And then I came across Wild Cactus while searching this morning. I can get it used for under a two bucks on Amazon.

bajajudy - 4-18-2010 at 07:05 AM

That book is out of print.

We also have the Baja California Plant Field Guide here.

Barbareno - 4-18-2010 at 07:17 AM

Baja California Plant Field Guide looks like a good one to. Thanks Judy and Tehag.

shari - 4-18-2010 at 07:24 AM

is there any mention of the drunk cactus I saw....this one is lucky to have his girlfriend there to lean on.

DSC05032.JPG - 40kB

Mexitron - 4-18-2010 at 09:36 AM

Nice one Shari!

David K - 4-18-2010 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy

I was looking on the internet for The Baja Book by Tom Miller and Elner Baxter....there is a discussion about the authors and book in General Discussion. Looks like an interesting read from the sounds of it.

And then I came across Wild Cactus while searching this morning. I can get it used for under a two bucks on Amazon.

If you go to the used book sources, you should find some of Tom Miller's editions of The Baja Book. He co-authored The Baja Book I, II and III... and after he died from cancer, Ginger Potter-McMahan published The Baja Book IV.

books 002.jpg - 45kB

David K - 4-18-2010 at 10:49 AM

Here are several copies of Tom Miller's book for sale:

The Baja Book by Tom Miller

Barbareno - 4-18-2010 at 11:31 AM

Thanks David. I did see The Baja Book II while looking. I will check out that link you posted and see how comfortable I am about buying from there.

You know when someone mentions a good book....well ya just got to see what its all about.

David K - 4-18-2010 at 12:35 PM

The Baja Book II and III are just updated editions, and are BETTER than the original because of how the book was published... Pages can fall out of the original as it is loose leaf with a plastic clip bind. I have purchased books from ADD ALL and they ship right away...

Cardon Man - 7-29-2010 at 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno
Baja California Plant Field Guide looks like a good one to. Thanks Judy and Tehag.

If you're looking for a truely comprehensive field guide to Baja plants the book by Robert's mentioned above may not suit your needs. That is to say, it's a fine book. I own a copy. But am still looking for a more indepth and well organized book on the subject. Any suggestions?

wilderone - 7-29-2010 at 07:56 AM

this is a good site for books as well. I've purchased several times - essentially individual sellers. the Baja Book is listed a few times, starting around a couple dollars.

http://www.alibris.com/booksearch?binding=&mtype=B&k...

[Edited on 7-29-2010 by BajaNomad]

wilderone - 7-29-2010 at 08:05 AM

these were listed for sale on Bookfinder.com - cactus is probably is a separate category - I searched "plants"

BRANDEGEE TOWNSHEND S.
A COLLECTION OF PLANTS FROM BAJA CALIFORNIA, 1889

Wiggins, I. L. and Epling, C.
Newly and Poorly Known Species of Plants From the Sonoran Desert and a New Poliomintha From Baja California

Jeanette Coyle
Field Guide to the Common and Interesting Plants of Baja California

IVAN MURRAY JOHNSTON
Undescribed Plants Mostly From Baja California

Lee W. Lenz
An Annotated Catalogue of the Plants of the Cape Region, Baja California Sur, Mexico

Gary D Wallace
Vascular Plants of the Channel Islands of Southern California and Gadalupe Island, Baja California, mexico

wilderone - 7-29-2010 at 08:50 AM

Also:

Wiggins, Ira L, 1980, Flora of Baja California

Arriaga, L. and J. L. Leon, 1990, The Mexican Tropical Deciduous Forest of Baja California Sur

Neal Johns - 7-29-2010 at 11:29 AM

Wiggins, Ira L, 1980, Flora of Baja California is THE guide for Baja - but not for beginners like me.

DianaT - 7-29-2010 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Wiggins, Ira L, 1980, Flora of Baja California is THE guide for Baja - but not for beginners like me.

One look at that Wiggins Book, and yes---no way for beginners like me also.

When ecomujeres was here checking out the plants around here, she had her Wiggins Book carefully held together with a strap---too expensive to replace.

We are not so patiently waiting for her book on plants in Baja California Sur----she is very careful, precise, dedicated and can find more plants in a tiny area than one can imagine.

[Edited on 7-29-2010 by DianaT]

My Rock and Cactus display...At my...

ELINVESTIG8R - 7-29-2010 at 02:37 PM

flyfishinPam - 7-29-2010 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Also:

Wiggins, Ira L, 1980, Flora of Baja California

Arriaga, L. and J. L. Leon, 1990, The Mexican Tropical Deciduous Forest of Baja California Sur

thanks for the second reference I didn't know about it but I'll look for it on Amazon. takes 30 days for Amazon orders to get here but they get here

ecomujeres - 7-29-2010 at 03:57 PM

Thanks for the plug, Diana.

Wiggins is almost impossible to find on-line these days. When I picked up mine in 2003, , it was $80. I've not seen anything less than $180 now!. It has only a limited number of line drawings, weighs a ton and while outdated, is THE most comprehensive book of Baja plants. It is definitely not for beginners, though it is the book that, as a beginner, I learned from the most.

Earlier this year, Jon Rebman at San Diego Natural History Museum finished work on the new edition of Norm Roberts "Baja California Plant Field Guide" and he hopes that it will be out "soon". Soon is open for interpretation. But the book has undergone a lot of revision and additions and will superficially cover the entire peninsula as did the previous edition. I say superficially, because of the approx. 4000 species on the peninsula, Norm's last book only addressed about 540. I think Jon has added 200-300 more.

When I get mine done, it will be limited to BCS, but will cover the most commonly seen plants practically everywhere in BCS.

bajajudy - 7-29-2010 at 07:09 PM

Deborah is correct, there will be an updated new edition of Norm Roberts "Baja California Plant Field Guide". There is no release date yet, most likely next year. In the meantime there are copies of the last edition available. The Baja California Plant Field Guide is the only Baja plant book in print and is affordable at $24.95.
http://www.bajabooksandmaps.com/books/BAJA_CALIFORNIA_PLANT_...

BajaBlanca - 7-30-2010 at 08:34 AM

Shari and Z.: how are your plants doing ?