BajaNomad

MISION SANTA MARIA MAY 29, 2010, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!

Pages:  1    3

David K - 4-29-2010 at 06:34 PM

WHO: BAJA NOMADS WITH 4WD, LOCKERS OR A-TRAC, 9"+ GROUND CLEARANCE.

WHAT: BAJA'S TOUGHEST 15 MILE ROAD TO AN ENCHANTED LOCTION

WHEN: MAY 29-30, 2010

WHERE: RANCHO SANTA YNEZ TO MISION SANTA MARIA (AND BACK)

WHY: BECAUSE IT IS THERE! (and it is a totally beautiful, exotic Baja place)

===========================================

This is a repeat of the Memorial Day, 2007 trip we (in a Tacoma) took with TheSquarecircle and Blanche using a Land Rover LR3: See http://vivabaja.com/msm

Now, we were planning on this last February, but the wet weather shelved the plan.

May was beautiful last time in there... perfect weather... and we even had a bighorn sheep encounter (see photos).

Because all things a flexible and things change, I am just putting this out there for those interested and properly equiped. This is a seriously tough, steep, rocky road... a Jeep Trail... or maybe a Tacoma Trail!

We are 90% certain of going at this point... but I will put the details here so anyone can be comfortable going. This originally was BAJACAT's tour, but he asked me to re-start it as he is only 70% certain for going.

We plan to zip down to El Rosario Friday night (we will be long south of Tijuana by dark), leave El Rosario after breakfast and be at Rancho Santa Ynez by 10-10:30 Saturday morning (Santa Ynez is a mile past Cataviņa, 76 miles from El Rosario).

The mission is 14 1/2 miles from Santa Ynez and will take 2 1/2 to 3 hours to do the drive in, with photo stops!

We will camp Saturday night in the mission valley... either near the mission or near the oasis, which is a mile past the mission down a grade that is steeper than The Widowmaker!

Sunday, being in no rush, we will return to El Rosario and come home on Monday. This is a kind of road that is good to have another vehicle along, just in case. If anyone wants to stay until Monday at the mission, then I advise finding another vehicle to also stay with you... and drive out together. Returning to Santa Ynez is harder than the drive to the mission as you will be climbing UP the Widowmaker.

Please anybody that comes must have a mechanically sound 4WD with low range and lockers or traction control. New or near new condition tires, as well. Lightweight rigs with experienced drivers such as Jeep Wranglers or CJs may not need to use lockers.

This is only a 'welcome to join us' event... not an organized club activity, business or tour... Everyone going will be on their own and self contained.

Some photos of the road...

Punta Final on the gulf (Gonzaga Bay)

WHO'S READY FOR "MISSION IMPOSSIBLE"? :cool:

ROAD LOG

0.0 Rancho Santa Ynez, take road through left gate, north of ranch.

0.8 FORK, go left/ uphill.

1.8 Deep Gully, 4WD climb out (if this scares you, go back!).

2.4 Rock pile, a road to left, go straight/ right fork.

4.6 Cement monument off to left (tracks continue past monument).

5.5 Arroyo crossing with palms.

9.8 Peninsular Divide, view of Punta Final on the gulf.

13.0 Top of the 'Widowmaker' grade.

14.1 MISION SANTA MARIA

15.1 Road enters sandy Arroyo Santa Maria, after very steep downgrade.

15.4 Turn left, out of arroyo (may be hidden by plants). Tracks ahead in arroyo end in 1/4 mile.

15.6 El Camino Real climbs to the left, up hillside. The mission trail stays out of the canyon, along the north ridge and returns to the arroyo at the east end of the canyon.

15.7 Roadbed washed out. Park and hike on to end of bulldozed grade to see petroglyphs, canyon view, Indian trail to canyon bottom.

2007 MSM TRIP: http://vivabaja.com/msm
2003 MSM TRIP: http://vivabaja.com/403/
1999 MSM TRIP: http://vivabaja.com/missionsm/
1999 Panorama: http://bajamur.homestead.com/files/mission.html
BAJA MISSIONS INFO SITE: http://www.vivabaja.com/missions1

Mileages modified after 2010 trip

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by David K]

bajalou - 4-29-2010 at 09:28 PM

Not that I'll be able to go, but why May 22nd and not Memorial Day weekend, May 29-20-31? At least that's when my calendar shows Memorial Day.

David K - 4-30-2010 at 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Not that I'll be able to go, but why May 22nd and not Memorial Day weekend, May 29-20-31? At least that's when my calendar shows Memorial Day.

Wow Lou... thanks for that, I had looked at the Baja Calendar and it the day next to the 24th (that Monday is split). Looking at another calendar, it has it listed next to the 31st.!!! I will edit the post, THANK YOU!

FINDING THE MISSION

David K - 4-30-2010 at 08:48 AM

BAJA CALIFORNIA... note 'Cataviņa' almost 1/3 down and in the center of the peninsula. The mission is between Cataviņa and San Luis Gonzaga, on the east coast of Baja:

Cataviņa is 300 miles/ ~7 hours from the border (Tijuana or Tecate). Last Pemex station is El Rosario, top off tanks! Gas may be available from cans at Cataviņa. Hotel and motel rooms, meals, some supplies at Cataviņa may be available. El Rosario is the closest town with dependable supplies, rooms, meals, 76 miles from Cataviņa.

Rancho Santa Ynez (Ines) is a mile south of Cataviņa on a paved side road. Meals, drinks, bunk rooms and camping at Santa Ynez.

Map shows two routes to the mission from Hwy. 1. Only the northern route is an autombile 4WD road. The southern route is a foot trail over a mountain.

The El Camino Real comes up to the Mision Santa Maria valley from the desert floor near Gonzaga Bay. It is a difficult 6 hour hike between the mission and the end of the road from Gonzaga, near Las Palmitas.

Bajaboy - 4-30-2010 at 11:12 AM

You are going to miss the Baja by the Sea Fiesta at Seaport Village....same day.

David K - 4-30-2010 at 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
You are going to miss the Baja by the Sea Fiesta at Seaport Village....same day.

Yah... went to it last year... crowds of people... visited with some Nomads... see photos posted... too bad they are having it on a three day weekend... It is supposed to promote travel to Baja!!! Well, I plan to travel to Baja then! :light:

Being in Baja beats being in San Diego at a Baja promotion, otherwise I would go! Mision Santa Maria is so special, and we only go every 3 or 4 years... You should too Zac!

Bajaboy - 4-30-2010 at 11:54 AM

I'll be in Baja the week before with my son and father. Two weeks and counting.:biggrin:

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Yah... went to it last year... crowds of people... visited with some Nomads... see photos posted... too bad they are having it on a three day weekend... It is supposed to promote travel to Baja!!! Well, I plan to travel to Baja then! :light:

Being in Baja beats being in San Diego at a Baja promotion, otherwise I would go! Mision Santa Maria is so special, and we only go every 3 or 4 years... You should too Zac!

David K - 4-30-2010 at 03:31 PM

It was nice your dad had me fix the sprinkler system on his sold property, for the new owner... Tell him thanks again, when you see him! :biggrin:

surfer jim - 4-30-2010 at 06:52 PM

Would there be any special problems getting a full size P/U truck in (and out) of there?

How about having my 4 wheel pop up camper on? I am thinking about any narrow spots or issue with high center of gravity.

[Edited on 5-1-2010 by surfer jim]

Neal Johns - 4-30-2010 at 10:01 PM

Jim, Not my PopTop, but....Yes!

Santa Maria GardnerX.jpg - 48kB

woody with a view - 4-30-2010 at 10:31 PM

is that "yes!" as in no problems? or "no" as in "it never got out?"

Bob H - 4-30-2010 at 10:48 PM

Wish I could go... but a F250 Superduty Extra-Cab Longbed 4x4 for this trip is out of the question. Look forward to the trip reports later on.
Bob H

Neal Johns - 4-30-2010 at 10:57 PM

Woody, they all got out, even Hummer 1's do it.
I will probably go with my PopTop if Marian gets back from Tibet OK. Can't keep that old lady home.

edm1 - 5-1-2010 at 07:00 AM

I'm in, and I'm not just in a full size 4x4 truck but a motorhome!

And because I will be going real "slow but sure", I'll probably get a headstart ahead of you guys. If you find along the way something blocking you, someone collecting fill rocks, that will be me!

Art

surfer jim - 5-1-2010 at 07:37 AM

Want to go but would have to return following week for BAJA 500. May need to seek permission from wife:o.

David K - 5-1-2010 at 08:08 AM

Very cool!

I also posted this on Tacoma World as some there had seen the photos of The Widowmaker a while ago and got excited... asked to let them know when I was going back in...

Neal, it will be great to have you along this time!

Surfer Jim and Art (edm1), with your vehicles: "May the Force be with you!"
I know you have wanted to go even before you had 4WD, Art.

Jim, it is harder than the final 5 miles of getting into Matomi ranch, and about three times longer... so, you got your truck in there (Bob H, too)! http://vivabaja.com/204 The Widowmaker is just the one steep grade that stands out, but there are other challenges, like the bog.

Photo from GeoRock's automatic camera at Rancho Matomi.
From the left: Bob H & Audrey, MaryAnn & Mike Humfreville, Pat & MexRay,
Steve & Edie H, David K, GeoRock & Pete, Bill W & TW.
On the Hummer: Alicia, Sarah, Brittany. In front: Surfer Jim (+Shelby the wonder dog).
Tunaeater & Rudy left before photo taken

[Edited on 5-1-2010 by David K]

Bajatripper - 5-1-2010 at 12:43 PM

My wife and I will do our best to be there, and will go as far as my run-of-the-mill Toyota 4Runner 4X4 will take us. If we are unable to make it all the way to the mission, we are fairly able-bodied and will hike what the Toyota can't pass. I did manage to make it to the mission about 12 years ago in my stock Pathfinder, but that trail changes with each passing season. We'll see. Looking forward to meeting Nomads.

BAJACAT - 5-1-2010 at 02:59 PM

David thank you for re-porting this, as today Im in. My truck is perfectly sound as today pass the smog test a firts for me since I bought the truck back 2004.Don't have lockers but do have limited slip and alot of courage.:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 5-1-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
My wife and I will do our best to be there, and will go as far as my run-of-the-mill Toyota 4Runner 4X4 will take us. If we are unable to make it all the way to the mission, we are fairly able-bodied and will hike what the Toyota can't pass. I did manage to make it to the mission about 12 years ago in my stock Pathfinder, but that trail changes with each passing season. We'll see. Looking forward to meeting Nomads.

Welcome to Nomad... looking forward to meeting you!

My first time in was 11 years ago, and as of my last time (2007) it has remained about the same... which is great! But, after last January's big rainfall, who knows what is in store for us, this time!!??

David K - 5-1-2010 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
David thank you for re-porting this, as today Im in. My truck is perfectly sound as today pass the smog test a firts for me since I bought the truck back 2004.Don't have lockers but do have limited slip and alot of courage.:lol::lol::lol:

That would be wonderful... tu Dodge es MUY BRAVO!

David K - 5-2-2010 at 07:01 AM

I am trying to make the road sound bad, for a reason... it is. I see that some of you are going who are in vehicles that will get damaged or that may not get through. There are other great places between El Rosario and Cataviņa to visit.

IF anyone finds the road impassable or just don't want to add more damage to the underside, here are a couple of back up destinations in the area... since you drove that far (road logs included):

EL MARMOL and EL VOLCAN: http://vivabaja.com/marmol

LAS PINTAS: http://vivabaja.com/pintas

David K - 5-4-2010 at 08:51 AM

Welcome to the group, TW!

I talked with 'The Squarecircle' yesterday, and he won't be able to go this time...

Looks like maybe 4-6 rigs so far.

We have reservations at Baja Cactus for Friday and Sunday nights, with camping at the mission Saturday night.

TMW - 5-7-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:

I talked with 'The Squarecircle' yesterday, and he won't be able to go this time...

We have reservations at Baja Cactus for Friday and Sunday nights, with camping at the mission Saturday night.

The Squarecircle needs to get out and relax maybe do the mine road again. I still got my tow straps for the Toyotas that come. What about XRPhil a friend of Squarecircle and Kurt from down south both motorcycle guys that were going in Feb? The more the merrier.

Neal Johns - 5-7-2010 at 10:44 AM

"I still got my tow straps for the Toyotas that come."

TW, if you weren't so old and senile, I would be offended!
OK, Taco guys, give me a little backup here! :lol::lol::lol:

KurtG - 5-7-2010 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

The Squarecircle needs to get out and relax maybe do the mine road again. I still got my tow straps for the Toyotas that come. What about XRPhil a friend of Squarecircle and Kurt from down south both motorcycle guys that were going in Feb? The more the merrier.

I'm planning to be at Rcho Sta Inez when everyone gets there Sat. morning and hitch a ride with Jose as planned before.
Kurt

fernando - 5-7-2010 at 04:19 PM

Hi Im interested in going but my 91 Trooper I think wont make it. Is there anyone I could ride with?

Thanks

TMW - 5-8-2010 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
"I still got my tow straps for the Toyotas that come."

TW, if you weren't so old and senile, I would be offended!
OK, Taco guys, give me a little backup here! :lol::lol::lol:

You don't count because your sweetheart will be driving.

TMW - 5-8-2010 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fernando
Hi Im interested in going but my 91 Trooper I think wont make it. Is there anyone I could ride with?

Thanks

I think there will be room for you or anyone else that needs it. The more the merrier.

Bajatripper - 5-8-2010 at 09:54 AM

Good to know that if my Toyota gets me in over my head, I'll still be in good shape with those tow straps. Please check your mud-flaps, TW, I'd prefer to keep the rock and gravel damage to a minimum.

Pappy Jon - 5-8-2010 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
I am trying to make the road sound bad, for a reason... it is.

My prediction? You won't make it to the mission, at least not in a stock Tacoma. There. I said it. I was there in April and the holes in the first oasis were very deep. I probably could have done it in my lifted 4Runner, but without a wing man I wasn't going to try.

TMW - 5-9-2010 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Quote:

My prediction? You won't make it to the mission, at least not in a stock Tacoma. There. I said it. I was there in April and the holes in the first oasis were very deep. I probably could have done it in my lifted 4Runner, but without a wing man I wasn't going to try.

That settles it DK goes first followed by Neal Johns.

Neal Johns - 5-9-2010 at 06:20 PM

I can't decide which one of you two (TW or Pappy) to stand on your head and use to probe the depth of the holes! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

And my CAMPER is sorta stock :O and driven by a old woman 70 years old.

[Edited on 5-10-2010 by Neal Johns]

TMW - 5-9-2010 at 07:27 PM

Beautiful pixs Amy. Of all the vegetation in Baja I like the Elephant tree the most. There is just something about it. Strong stumpy sort of thing. I like the Boojums too. The widowmaker looks bad real bad I may have to park my GMC at the top and lower the Toyotas by strap to get them down it.

BajaOkie - 5-9-2010 at 07:43 PM

Great Pictures Amy,

Very glad to meet you when you were in Mulege. I am so happy you got to Mision Santa Maria de los Angeles. I remember my first trek in and continue to believe this was (and is) one of the best adventures in Baja. Keep up your Mision trekking!.

bajaamy - 5-9-2010 at 07:57 PM

Thank you! The amusing thing about the widowmaker was that for all the talk about it, there were many points along the way that seemed just as bad!

BAJACAT - 5-9-2010 at 08:15 PM

Amy did you drive down the WM..

BAJACAT - 5-9-2010 at 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaamy
Nope . . . I was with a friend in a 4x4 Toyota pickup. He would have driven down it (he's done it before), but I wanted the experience of hiking the last bit through the arroyo and seeing the mission emerge.

[Edited on 5-10-2010 by bajaamy]
Well thanks for the update, this trip is in my bucket list for BAJA, maybe by the end of this month I can scrach it off the list. Thanks for the pix they are great..I see there are alot fans of the mission sites..

surfer jim - 5-10-2010 at 08:56 AM

How deep was the water in the photo? Did anyone drive through (or walk thru?)

Neal Johns - 5-10-2010 at 09:46 AM

bajaamy,
You had a great trip! Not just Santa Maria but the hike up to the top of the mesa (secret pun: Now you can cross that off your bucket list) and other places. Great pics too.
Neal Johns

Ken Cooke - 5-10-2010 at 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Quote:
Nope . . . I was with a friend in a 4x4 Toyota pickup. He would have driven down it (he's done it before), but I wanted the experience of hiking the last bit through the arroyo and seeing the mission emerge.

[Edited on 5-10-2010 by bajaamy]
Well thanks for the update, this trip is in my bucket list for BAJA, maybe by the end of this month I can scrach it off the list. Thanks for the pix they are great..I see there are alot fans of the mission sites..

I might do it this summer.:cool:

David K - 5-11-2010 at 02:36 PM

Amy, I am so happy you got in there! Did you "feel it"...?? You know, the spirits...

It is so enchanting in there... It keeps driving us back!

Sounds like you parked at the top of the Widowmaker and both walked the mile and a half to the mission... ? How deep was the water in the bog? How did you avoid wading in that?

Thanks... Come on back in a few weeks when we go it!

(yes, plenty more hard places in the road than The Widowmaker... That is just the one long, steep grade that is most intimidating to drive back up.)

David K - 5-11-2010 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Quote:

What were you driving...? Did you park on top of the Widowmaker and walk in?

I guess we will see, I have done it with my 2001 and 2005 stock Tacomas (both the TRD Off Road 4WD with rear lockers) in 2003 and 2007...

This time in my new 2010 (with A-TRAC, a traction system that gives the effect of front and rear lockers, but allows easy steering while in use) TRD Off Road 4WD.

If the bog is that deep, we may need to help each other through... Why it is good to not travel alone in there...

Thank you Jon for your report!

bajaamy - 5-11-2010 at 05:27 PM

Quote:
How deep was the water in the bog? How did you avoid wading in that?

Hi, David! We did indeed hike the last mile and 1/2. The water in the bog was about a foot deep (in some places). We jumped from one bank to the other, finding the easiest way through the brush.

edm1 - 5-11-2010 at 06:33 PM

Great pics Amy, thanks for sharing.

In that arroyo it looks like there are a lot of big palm trees to wrap a recovery strap and onto the winch, enough anchor for a stuck 10,000 rig, if I can even get past the WM. Or I'm just too damn upbeat.

David K - 5-11-2010 at 06:45 PM

Awesome to hear Amy... thanks... a piece of cake for the Toyota!

Art, the road is narrow with off camber sections and steep pitches over granite boulders... like the Rubicon... a 'jeep trail' . I want you to have fun, but would hate to see that motorhome of yours marooned there for the next 20 years... It may be far too heavy a rig for your winch to pull you up the Widowmaker or for any of our rigs to anchor at the top?

If you have seen the You Tubes and all photos and still feel comfortable going, then great... Otherwise ride in with one of us in the group and leave the van at Santa Ynez.

David K - 5-12-2010 at 05:27 PM

Okay, how about a list of Nomads pretty sure about going?

Again, strongly suggest 9"min. ground clearance, have 4WD low range and a rear locker or traction control, expect some body damage. This is a Rubicon style Jeep trail over rocks and boulders with steep grades and a muddy bog along the way... less than 15 miles but expect 3 hours to drive in.

I will edit this as people indicate:

1) BAJACAT (DODGE TRUCK)
2) David K & Baja Angel (2010 TACOMA OFF ROAD)
3) TW (GMC TRUCK)
4) Neal Johns (TACOMA OFF ROAD)
5) edm1 (4WD MOTORHOME or hitchhike)
6) KurtG (hitchhike)
7) Bajatripper (4RUNNER)
8) CG (DODGE DAKOTA)
9) * (2009 TACOMA OFF ROAD)
* HB Murphy from Tacoma World Forums

Also, there was some interst if we went later from: BajaRoadrunner, Baja12valve, Steve & Debbie (in the February trip thread that was cancelled).

[Edited on 5-25-2010 by David K]

edm1 - 5-13-2010 at 08:55 AM

David,

". . . ride in with one of us in the group and leave the van at Santa Ynez."

That's the prudent thing to do, "walk the trail first" and even better if I "ride the trail first" with proven vehicles. I have kind of "walked" the trail having seen Baja Roadrunner's Utube, believe me, over and over again; however, there's no subsitute for "walking it" IN PERSON, especially that no known motorhomes have conquered that trail before.

I've taken the motorhome to many "jeep trails" evidenced by the many pinstripes over the paint job (and I'm leaving them on :-), including doing steep ascent and descents. Off camber when the trail is narrow (i.e. when only one of the rear dually tires is on the ground, the other hanging and overlooking to a 5000ft cliff) - that's my fear. That's happened to me before and I am not going to repeat it, I had to let my passengers (wife and daughter) get off the vehicle. It gives me goosebumps everytime I reflect on it.

OK, who's gonna take me in their truck, in the front seat, of course?

Art

[Edited on 5-16-2010 by edm1]

Fernando

edm1 - 5-13-2010 at 09:19 AM

Got a U2U from fernando saying he won't be able to make it that weekend.

TMW - 5-13-2010 at 09:26 AM

edm1 ". . . ride in with one of us in the group and leave the van at Santa Ynez."

I think that may be the best thing to do. You would then be able to judge if you could get in on another trip to the mission. Or take you motorhome to the widowmaker and leave it and ride in with us. Either way you have options and will still have a great weekend.

David K - 5-13-2010 at 10:37 AM

The big dip 1.8 miles from Santa Ynez is a good filter... climbing up the far side is the first low range event of the run. If you can do that, you probably can make it to the Widowmaker, 13 miles from Santa Ynez.

The last mile and a half is the worst part of the road... The Widowmaker, the bog, then some short steep parts before the mission.

Also, past the mission is one heck of a steep grade that drops you down to the sandy arroyo if you want to see the oasis (where we camped last time and saw the bighorns), or the bulldozed grade that ends on the canyon edge... petroglyphs are there... also the El Camino Real switchbacks up the mountainside from the road, just before it ends at the bulldozed grade.

Neal Johns - 5-13-2010 at 10:40 AM

Marian gets back from Tibet Monday and does not know she is going to the Mission yet. :lol::lol::lol:

bajaamy - 5-13-2010 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
The big dip 1.8 miles from Santa Ynez is a good filter... climbing up the far side is the first low range event of the run.

FYI . . . when we left the Santa Ynez ranch, we rode through the arroyo and skipped the rough parts of the beginning of the road. Just wanted you to know that there's another option at the beginning of the ride if that helps anyone . . .

Pappy Jon - 5-13-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaamyThe water in the bog was about a foot deep (in some places).

Not when I was there. Plus, the issue was not only the depth of the water, but the depth of the holes and the steep angles in and out.

I wish I could join you all. I felt defeated having my progress stopped at the bog. Like I said, if I had somebody with me I would have tried it, but certainly not solo. I'm just crazy, not dumb.

edm1 - 5-13-2010 at 06:46 PM

TW.

"...Or take you motorhome to the widowmaker and leave it and ride in with us. "

I appreciate very much the baja nomads' sincere help and concern. First David K's recommendation and now TW's and BajaAmy's. I am anxious to meet you all.

If I leave my motorhome at the widowmaker, is there a pullout or will I be blocking the way (that wouldn't be proper, of course)?

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by edm1]

roverdude - 5-13-2010 at 06:57 PM

Hmmmm, I love that place.
It is not easy. But doable.
Put me on the "I need to get permission for the Mission" list.

Another option

edm1 - 5-13-2010 at 07:51 PM

Bajaamy,

". . . there's another option at the beginning of the ride"

It's good to know this for most I'm sure, and maybe even for me. I'm in for the rough ride, big challenges and the adventure, but thank you nevertheless. Like Papy Jon, I'm crazy; aren't we all here at Baja Nomad? So, i'd choose the more challenging one.

TMW - 5-13-2010 at 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
TW.

"...Or take you motorhome to the widowmaker and leave it and ride in with us. "

I appreciate very much the baja nomads' sincere help and concern. First David K's recommendation and now TW's and BajaAmy's. I am anxious to meet you all.

If I leave my motorhome at the widowmaker, is there a pullout or will I be blocking the way (that wouldn't be proper, of course)?

There is plenty of room for you to park and not block the trial.

David K - 5-13-2010 at 08:57 PM

There could be enough for you to park where others have near the top of the Widowmaker... if nobody else is parked there.

Remember, there very well could be OTHER 4WD clubs or people going in.

In 2007, Roy and I were the only ones (vehicles) on Memorial Day Weekend.

In 2003 (Spring Break) a large Jeep club came in after the three of us arrived and took them a long time in the dark to get there.

In 1999 (May 1) a Mexican bicycle group with support vehicle was on the road.

Amy, in 2007 we tried going up the wash only to be blocked by boulders, so we climbed up the hill on the traditional road... Would like to hear more about your route... but a rough road is part of what we seek.

Maybe I will post some Google Earth images of the route?

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by David K]

15 Google Earth Images of the road.

David K - 5-13-2010 at 10:35 PM

Starting at Hwy. 1:

The ranch... paved road continues up to airport, the mission road turns left in front of the ranch/ restaurant parking and goes around the ranch to the far side and heads for the arroyo crossing.

Arroyo crossing then left fork, up the hill...

Big gully crossing, 1.8 miles in...first low range 4WD.

Peninsular Divide 10 miles from Santa Ynez, view of Punta Final.

Down, down, down... then the Widowmaker, followed by the bog!

Crossing over some more granite before reaching the mission valley.

Mision Santa Maria 14.4miles from Santa Ynez

Photo looking northward.
The road goes another mile into the sandy arroyo. 0.3 mile further a left turn out of the arroyo is the road... tracks in the arroyo soon end in a palm grove. The road was built to the top of the ridge and ended there. An Indian trail continues down into the canyon (this was the older Camino Real). The newer Camino Real climbs up the ridge to the left before the road ends nnear the bulldozed grade... see pins marking the Camino Real along the top of the canyon's north rim.

[Edited on 5-14-2010 by David K]

David K - 5-14-2010 at 05:17 PM

Baja Amy, in the third satellite image you see the fork with the uphill road going left (to the mission) and the right fork going to the sandy arroyo (road log mile 0.9)... In the 4th image the road is above and to the left of the arroyo... In 2007, we tried going up the arroyo and where you see it squeeze down, boulders blocked us... but m/c tracks continued up.

Did you guys find the boulders no longer blocking the way, and if so at what point did you rejoin the road... way up where the road crosses the arroyo by the palms (road log mile 5.6)?

ROAD LOG

0.0 Rancho Santa Ynez, take road through left gate, north of ranch. Go around ranch fence to opposite side then east. Cross wide arroyo and soon come to fork...

0.8 FORK, go left/ uphill.

1.8 Deep Gully, 4WD climb out (if this scares you, go back!).

2.4 Rock pile, a road to left, go straight/ right fork.

4.6 Cement monument off to left (tracks continue past monument).

5.6 Arroyo crossing with palms.

9.8 Peninsular Divide, view of Punta Final on the gulf.

13.0 Top of the 'Widowmaker' grade.

14.1 MISION SANTA MARIA

Edited to reflect 2010 trip notes

[Edited on 6-2-2010 by David K]

surfer jim - 5-14-2010 at 08:30 PM

I wanted to make this trip for a long time but it is just too close to the BAJA 500 . I would only have a few days to turn around and drive back down. The first posting had this trip a week earlier and that would have been O.K. Sorry to say I will be a no show.

David K - 5-15-2010 at 07:03 AM

Understand Jim... do try to get in there someday.. it is truly a special Baja place and being at the end of one of Baja's toughest roads, getting there is special (like getting to Gonzaga Bay used to be special)! The Baja 500 is every year... the MSM Trail run is every 3-4 years. The first date posted was my bad because the calendar put the words Memorial Day next to the other Monday. Thanks to bajalou forpointing that out... It was always going to be on a 3 day weekend, regardless.

surfer jim - 5-15-2010 at 08:03 AM

I will be chaseing for 2 "low budget" teams that frequently break down:biggrin: and don't have much backup. If it was just to spectate I would certainly go with the mission trip.

David K - 5-15-2010 at 08:28 AM

10-4 on that... good job Jim!

TW will be doing the 500 after doing the mission run... I wish I could too... but with work so low, I must pick just one Baja trip (every couple of months or so)! :light:

got drip?
got sprinklers?
got lighting?
got drainage?
got grass?

Have fun!!

TMW - 5-15-2010 at 01:10 PM

Since I retired everyday seems like Saturday. Eat your heart out DK, Baja forever.

surfer jim - 5-15-2010 at 01:24 PM

I was talking to the wife about doing both....she almost sounded like she wants me to go for it....wonder if it is a trap of some sort:lol:

Let's see....mission run.....a few days at the beach(surfing maybe).....meet up for the race.....:saint:

[Edited on 5-15-2010 by surfer jim]

TMW - 5-15-2010 at 03:13 PM

Go for it, do both. You only live once. I'm trying to decide on going fishing or prerun until I meet up with Tunaeater. Decisions, decisions, decisions what is one to do. I'll bring my surf rod and decide later.

David K - 5-15-2010 at 05:54 PM

Jim, since you are using your wife as a reason to do both (good one), I will add you back on the list of victims... 'er I mean 'adventurers' to Mision Santa Maria!

BAJACAT - 5-16-2010 at 04:26 PM

I like that "VICTIMS OF MISION SANTA MARIA TRIP. Im ready to be a victim.

David K - 5-16-2010 at 09:12 PM

We should have fun... I wish we had more time at the mission... but this trip is to experience the road in our 4x4s. Another time we should spend a couple days in the mission valley to see more of the Indian sleeping circles, mission era construction, petroglyphs, the Camino Real, and the rumors of gold mines possibly worked by the mission Indians for the padres! Wild animal viewing, too (bighorns and red diamondbacks)!

bajaamy - 5-16-2010 at 09:19 PM

Hi, David . . . my google earth is on the fritz, so I'm still working on your question about driving in the arroyo. But in the meantime . . . from whence comes the evidence about Indians working gold mines for the padres?

David K - 5-17-2010 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
Hi, David . . . my google earth is on the fritz, so I'm still working on your question about driving in the arroyo. But in the meantime . . . from whence comes the evidence about Indians working gold mines for the padres?

That has been a common belief/ or story told for decades... I think I last read it in Herman Hill's book.

Hermans Book-r.JPG - 31kB

The Group-Victim List

David K - 5-18-2010 at 01:15 PM

1) BAJACAT (DODGE TRUCK)
3) Neal Johns (TACOMA OFF ROAD)
4) edm1 (4WD MOTORHOME or hitchhike)
5) KurtG (hitchhike)
6) Bajatripper (4RUNNER)
7) CG (DODGE DAKOTA)
8) * (2009 TACOMA OFF ROAD)

Also, there was some interst if we went later from: BajaRoadrunner, Baja12valve, Steve & Debbie (in the February trip thread that was cancelled).

[Edited on 5-27-2010 by David K]

1999 Aerial Photos from BajaMur

David K - 5-18-2010 at 02:43 PM

My first trip to Santa Maria was with BajaMur... after our epic ride to the mission and back out to Santa Ynez, we continued on that night to Alfonsina's (via Chapala/Coco's) where we stayed with Doug Bowles.

A couple days later, Doug flew Mur and I (and another man 'Jake') over the mission and canyon of Santa Maria. Our goal was to locate the Camino Real or any route to the mission form Gonzaga Bay. We had tried going up the canyon by quad, but boulders and brush blocked our way not far from the road that ends at the canyon mouth.

Here are the photos Mur emailed to me... they are arranged from west to east:

The Widowmaker and road a mile from the mission, view northward.

The mission, view northward.

View eastward, down the arroyo a mile east from the mission.

The arroyo as it enters the top of the canyon leading to Gonzaga Bay, view southward. The road east from the mission comes out of the arroyo and follows its north bank before turning into the side canyon and bulldozed grade.

The bulldozed grade where the road construction from Santa Ynez ended... on the canyon rim, view eastward. From the end of the road, an Indian trail continues on down to the canyon floor. This was the first El Camino Real used by the Jesuits. The Franciscans ordered a better route built that stayed out of the canyon and went along the north rim.

Another look down the deep canyon.

Here the Camino Real can be seen.

Nearing the end of the canyon, view southward.

View southward of the end of the canyon. The Franciscan Camino Real is in the side valley at the bottom-right of the photo and reaches the arroyo just outside the canyon. In the top of the photo a distant hidden valley contains the Las Pamitas oasis and is on the Camino Real. The arroyo continues to the gulf coast between Alfonsina's and Punta Final.

David K - 5-19-2010 at 08:20 AM

Remember to email Antonio if you are going to overnight at Baja Cactus (El Rosario) on the way down and back. We and one other Nomad I know of have reservations for Friday and Sunday nights (Saturday camping at the mission)... Email Antonio if you want a room, info*at*bajacactus.com say you are in the Mision Santa Maria group.

Elizabeth has the Friday off, so we are heading south Friday AM. See you down south!

David K - 5-21-2010 at 01:36 AM

It is one week away, and I would like to hear a fresh reply from those listed above; if they are still a go, or not... Want to keep an eye out for you on the road.

We are leaving Oceanside Friday mid-morning, for a no-rush drive to El Rosario and enjoy the town, for a bit.

5-22 update: One of the Tacoma World members who was coming from New Mexico dropped out as his truck won't be ready.

[Edited on 5-22-2010 by David K]

TMW - 5-21-2010 at 05:21 AM

I'm still in. Watch for the Silver Streak.

KurtG - 5-21-2010 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
At least two well equiped OFF ROAD TACOMAS from the Tacoma World forums plan on joining us, one coming from New Mexico!

It is one week away, and I would like to hear a fresh reply from those listed above; if they are still a go, or not... Want to keep an eye out for you on the road.

We are leaving Oceanside Friday mid-morning, for a no-rush drive to El Rosario and enjoy the town, for a bit.

I'm still in, not sure if I'll stay at El Rosario Friday or go on to Sta Ynez. Headed on south to Mulege after the MSM trip.
Kurt

Neal Johns - 5-21-2010 at 03:34 PM

Neal Johns still in,
minus Marian who got a chipped foot bone in Tibet. Will show up Thursday or Friday with a loose woman found in Baja or will pick her up Sunday after the trip for more fun and games (Baja destination undecided).
Hint: She rarely rides Tacoma's.

Bajatripper - 5-22-2010 at 07:44 AM

I'm still in, will be driving up from La Paz.

BAJACAT - 5-22-2010 at 09:07 AM

iM STILL IN, LEAVING SAN DIEGO ON FRIDAY AROUND 2:00PM, LOOK FOR BIG RED ON THE ROAD... DRIVING SOLO THE WIFE CAN GO.

David K - 5-22-2010 at 09:46 AM

This will be fun! :bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 5-23-2010 at 07:57 AM

The Group-Victim List

1) BAJACAT (DODGE TRUCK)
3) TW (GMC TRUCK)
4) Neal Johns & 'mystery' Nomad (TACOMA OFF ROAD)
5) edm1 (4WD MOTORHOME or hitchhike)
6) KurtG (hitchhike)
7) Bajatripper (4RUNNER)
8) surfer jim (CHEVY TRUCK)
9) CG (DODGE DAKOTA)
10) * (2009 TACOMA OFF ROAD)

David K - 5-23-2010 at 10:10 PM

Reminder: that if you want to stay at Baja Cactus Friday and Sunday nights, going down and coming back (beats setting up a camp for one night), send Antonio an email (info AT bajacactus.com)... Just two rooms have been reserved for Santa Maria bound Nomads, as of 10 pm Sun...

We are ready to finally get back down there... no rain in sight!

BAJACAT - 5-23-2010 at 10:18 PM

David so what time we are leaving Rancho Santa Inez on SAturday,and are you driving back on sunday or monday to San Diego.

David K - 5-23-2010 at 11:12 PM

Okay, ... Here is my estimated schedule (I normally hate watches and time in general in Mexico, but there are others involved):

Reservations at Baja Cactus for Friday and Sunday nights.

Camping at/ near Mision Santa Maria Saturday night.

Leaving Oceanside ~ 9am Friday after traffic... arrive El Rosario ~3-4pm Friday

Leaving El Rosario ~ 8:30am Sat (after breakfast)... arrive Santa Ynez ~ 10 am
Leave Santa Ynez by 10:30 am... lunch stop at the peninsular divide (view of Gonzaga Bay) ~noon... Arrive Mision Santa Maria ~2 pm. Set up camp, explore, relax, four wheel drive... soak in the location!

No hurry pack up or leave Sunday morning... maybe by 10-11? Climb the Widowmaker... lunch stop at the peninsular divide... Back at Hwy. 1 by 2 pm

El Rosario by 4 pm...

unless anyone wants to take a run out to San Juan de Dios on the way back... the historic site of a mission visita destroyed by a farmer, since I was last there in 2002. When a site is unknown or kept secret, then it has no value to keep or is unknown as a historic site. If only the site was signed and visited more... add 2 hours for the 50 mile round trip past copper mines and boojum forests.

Monday a relaxed drive home via Tecate... no hurry, no worry!

[Edited on 5-24-2010 by David K]

San Juan de Dios

edm1 - 5-24-2010 at 05:30 AM

DK, please post some info on the "secret" site. Thanks.

David K - 5-24-2010 at 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
DK, please post some info on the "secret" site. Thanks.

Hi Art, I thought you already left! Go to my missions web pages for more data and photos... Here is the page on visitas: http://vivabaja.com/missions3/ (one photo of the site is on the first page. The other photos and details: http://vivabaja.com/missions3/page9.html

Photo in 2000 by David K

Photo in 2008 by ELINVESTI8R

TMW - 5-24-2010 at 09:54 AM

I am in no hurry to get back. I'm staying in Baja until after the 500 race.

roverdude - 5-24-2010 at 05:45 PM

I'm out unless otherwise stated. But you never know.

David K - 5-24-2010 at 07:27 PM

Bummer, maybe next time!?

surfer jim - 5-24-2010 at 08:10 PM

Sorry...can't make this.

David K - 5-24-2010 at 10:52 PM

Thanks for letting us know Jim... I had my Chevy tow strap all ready to help you, too!! :tumble::cool:;D

Have fun at the Baja 500!

TMW - 5-26-2010 at 08:19 AM

My plans may have changed.

Since I retired I did agree to do contract work for my former employer. The new TV antennas need to be re-directed. We attemped this in late March and the weather did not cooperate and the job was put off until better conditions were there. Yesterday was the day to do it but the tower crew
was not available due to an emergency in Fresno. Now they are saying this Friday they can do it. So instead of joining you I'll be on a mountain top Friday. I'm thinking of coming down on Saturday and meeting at Santa Ines on Sunday when you come out if DK is still going to do the San Juan de Dios ruins run. If not I'll wait till Tuesday and come down to meet with Tunaeater for the 500 race.

Neal Johns - 5-26-2010 at 01:41 PM

TW,
When we get back Sunday, my passenger (Teddi Botham - the ECR Mule Rider) and I are going Somewhere exploring for a few days, maybe San Juan de Dios , You are invited.

TMW - 5-26-2010 at 05:58 PM

Neal if all goes well I'll join you.

David K - 5-27-2010 at 07:44 AM

That's a second Chevy/GM truck to drop out... I hope we see you Sunday TW... Otherwise, have fun at the Baja 500!

1) BAJACAT (DODGE TRUCK)
3) Neal Johns (TACOMA OFF ROAD)
4) edm1 (4WD MOTORHOME or hitchhike)
5) KurtG (hitchhike)
6) Bajatripper (4RUNNER)
7) CG (DODGE DAKOTA)
8) * (2009 TACOMA OFF ROAD)

[Edited on 5-27-2010 by David K]

surfer jim - 5-27-2010 at 08:03 AM

Chevy owners are saving their trucks to come down and rescue those who get stuck....:lol:

KurtG - 5-27-2010 at 08:13 AM

I had planned to motorcycle as usual this trip but am in the middle of some changes to the bike and its not quite ready yet so I'm taking my old Honda Civic beater, 1991 white hatchback if you see me along side the road. Driving from San Luis Obispo to SD today, staying there with a buddy and then south tomorrow morning. I'm still planning to drive to Cataviņa tomorrow but might stop in El Rosario depending on the time.

classicbajabronco - 5-27-2010 at 07:18 PM

have a great trip and take lots of photos...Especially of carnage...Everyone loves carnage
 Pages:  1    3