BajaNomad

MISION SANTA MARIA MAY 29, 2010, LET'S DO IT AGAIN!

Pages:  1    3

KurtG - 6-4-2010 at 08:59 AM

Steve,
I really appreciated the ride out. Your 4-Runner and your driving skill really impressed me going up the widowmaker and the other tough grades. Turned out I had an upper respiratory infection that hit me pretty hard. Much better now. After you dropped me at my car at the ranch I stopped at the litttle restaurant in Cataviña for a torta and then dozed in the car for an hour or so then drove to El Rosario. Got a room and slept for about 9 hours and then drove the 550 miles home.

It was a great group. I would like to return there and have more time to explore.

Also riding with Chris was great. His truck is very well set up and he is a very good off road driver. Lots of experience and made the tough stuff look easy. Ran right through the bog going in and only got stuck while towing Neal on the way out and a quick bit of winch work took care of that. The Toyotas are great but that Dodge was also impressive.
Kurt

hbmurphy - 6-4-2010 at 09:04 AM

Steve -

I look forward to another 'BajaTripper' trip soon!

Well, I now know why my rear locker and ATRAC wouldn't work! - The connector to the '4 wheel lo indicator' switch went bad - Nothing a little solder and jb weld won't cure!!! ;)

hbmurphy - 6-4-2010 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
Originally posted by hbmurphyRegarding lessons learned.... Bring Strarter Fluid and get Comm Standardized with all vehicles ( I am a very big advocate of 2 meter/HAM but CB's would work too).:cool:

I make it a point to only invite people with at least a CB radio in their vehicle. I'm running dual compressors and an air tank capable of reseating a bead and running air tools, because you never know when you will need it.

Copy that!

The people that I go out with on a regular basis, all have HAM radios - nice to have a 20 mile range and the option of using a repeater... and if really needed - Mayday to aircraft!

I have a CB I take in and out of my truck but the HAM radio is permanently mounted and I keep a Handi-Talkie with me at all times too! :light:

Regarding Air - I have 2 compressors - hi volume ARB and one of these babies:

Not exactly 20 cfm but it will power an impact good enough to do trail repairs.

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by hbmurphy]

Udo - 6-4-2010 at 06:55 PM

Marine VHS works very well also. Works on land as well as on the water. Plus most are waterproof!

hbmurphy - 6-4-2010 at 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Marine VHS works very well also. Works on land as well as on the water. Plus most are waterproof!

Have those programmed into my Ham Dual Band (both are dual band)...

Also, here's another video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeEvMDabeBc

BAJACAT - 6-4-2010 at 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
OMG, I miss the trip of the year, Im going to hate myself for the rest of the year, i can belive I wasn't part of this, Im sorry what happen to Neal, but thats Baja, Im living proof of that, after so many trip to Baja, i had to do some repairs on my Dodge, I usually check my truck after my Baja trips, but this time i didn't, shame on me. Im glad everybody is ok. And yes Antonio is great asset to BajaNomad,one more time NOMADS RULE.....

DK, what happen to your bumper?

We missed you Jose, but I know you were with us in spirit...
The trip was epic... not because of the location, but because of the people who were there... There WILL be Santa Maria Gang reunions, like there are Matomi Gang reunions... Only, I think we will do easier trips out of El Rosario or perhaps a Shell Island campouts? Just like the Matomi reunions... being on the first trip is not a prerequisite to attending the reunions... isn't being a Baja Nomad great?!!

The bumper was caught on a rock within sight of the mission... I was slowly dropping down a 2 ft. ledge/ boulder... when the body fell onto the rock, just behind the tire... put a deep dent there, then as I moved ahead that rock caught the end of the bumber where it wraps around the back corner of the truck, and 'peeled' it back as I drove away from the rock drop off. edm1's motorhome also had the same kind of bumper damage.

The road is highly difficult and at the moment, I consider it impassable. If it weren't for this great gang, I would have not gone into the bog. Oscar (of Santa Ynez) warned us that the water was 5 feet deep and none of us would reach the mission... He also said the motorhome wouldn't get 3 kms. from the ranch!

I am working on the detailed trip report... so stay tuned!

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by David K]
David Im still kicking my self in the head, for missing this, it would not happen again. I always check my ntruck after any baja trip, but after my last one, I got lazy, if it wasn't for my friend at FIRESTONE, where i service my truck i would broke my truck in the trip. OH well you live and learn.Thanks david for taking over..I will promise you guys i will be ready for the next one..

BAJACAT - 6-4-2010 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Jose, you saved yourself a bumper by not joining the trip :-). I bet your bumper would have been a 3x copy(baja)cat.

But you missed the company of some of the best people in the 4 wheeling crowd and the excitement of having to face the challenges that we faced during the trip in and out of the Mision!!!

DK is right; what you've seen in photos and have read in the teaser posts are just a third of the whole thing, and then some belonging to the category of "what happens in Baja stays in Baja".

Art

[Edited on 6-3-2010 by edm1]
Art I already replace my rear bumper, it would be a small price to pay for a trip like the one you mwhere part of. I take my hat off for you, you made it CHEVY RULES right after DODGE :lol::lol:

edm1 - 6-4-2010 at 08:13 PM

"you made it CHEVY RULES right after DODGE"

Yeah, you're right Jose, the T*****s are just toads:-) LOL

I'm sure we'll hear back from DK, Paul, Steve, and even from Neal, heheheeee!

Art

CG - 6-4-2010 at 08:53 PM

I moved this post over to the trip report thread by David K.

Here is a picture of my old Explorer right before I sold it:

Then came the Jeep:

Now that I'm not doing too much extreme rock crawling, I have the Dodge that is set up more for exploring:

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by CG]

hbmurphy - 6-4-2010 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CG
Here are some of my pictures from the trip. I had a great time and was happy to help out and spend time with such great people!

Neal actually drove himself 90% of the way out the second day after replacing the tie rod end. I only had to strap him up a few rough spots.

Big thanks go to Paul and Art for all the hard work they did & Neal impressed everyone with his energy and spirit. Special thanks goes to BajaCatus for the great rooms and parts help!

I'm happy I was able to get my truck built up in time for this run. I had just kind of route in mind when I did the mods. It took some time to get used to wheeling with smaller tires again...my last Jeep had 37" tires and my old Explorer had 40's. I'm not really loyal to any brand of car, mostly cause I can break pretty much anything out there:yes: I wanted a mid-size truck with a V8 for family adventures and occasional towing and the dodge works great!

My truck was the one that got water in it. I was towing Neal through the mud and got bogged down, I had to open the doors to get the winch stuff out & a bunch of water got in. I was nervous about it getting into the engine, but I got lucky there.

Next time I'll remember to wear jeans in the desert, my legs are all scratched up cause I was dressed in shorts. I had to pull a nasty chunk of cactus out of my leg with some pliers! I need to remember not to air down my tires too much for mixed trails. Low air pressure works great for the beach and extreme rock climbing, but the bulging sidewalls can get cut easily in the desert.

I'm ready to go wheelin' with any of you guys again!

Stopped at the beach on the way down:

The trail in:

At the Mission:

Some of the carnage!:

Yeah, you were very fun to wheel with! You pictures look so vibrant! Did you post process those things?

NOTE: Please excuse my pictures - My web provider has screwed me today with a server switch that did not go well :(

Yeah, you were very fun to wheel with! You pictures look so vibrant! Did you post process those things?

NOTE: Please excuse my pictures - My web provider has screwed me today with a server switch that did not go well :(

hbmurphy - 6-4-2010 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CG
I moved this post over to the trip report thread by David K.

Here is a picture of my old Explorer right before I sold it:

Then came the Jeep:

Now that I'm not doing too much extreme rock crawling, I have the Dodge that is set up more for exploring:

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by CG]

Chris! Some nice rigs! Can we bring them back! ;-)

That tire looks like it went bad right on the rubber seam - I realize the carcass would not split there but it certainly looks interesting - If that was a Costco tire - they would probably replace it! :yes:

David K - 6-4-2010 at 09:33 PM

Email from Neal Johns Friday ~7 pm, reports all is fixed on his Tacoma... Coming home to Marian Saturday via Tecate... VIVA CG, VIVA BAJA CACTUS, VIVA EL ROSARIO's MECHANIC, VIVA NEAL ... and VIVA BAJA!!!

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by David K]

All done...

BajaCactus - 6-4-2010 at 09:42 PM

Exactly David... Neal arrived at BajaCactus at 6:27pm on June 4th, driving his Tacoma as if nothing ever happened. All repairs have been done.

Neal told our staff he was leaving tomorrow Saturday, June 5th, very early.

Have a safe, nice trip back home my friend...!!!

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-5-2010 by BajaCactus]

Bajatripper - 6-5-2010 at 09:47 AM

Amen!

David K - 6-5-2010 at 09:52 AM

Steve, click on the u2u link at the top right of the page here...

David K - 6-5-2010 at 06:04 PM

NEAL JOHNS IS HOME!!!

He called me from his home at 4:38 while we were out driving... GOOD NEWS!! The drive north was easy and the truck drove him home (like a good Toyota is supposed to)!

Neal Johns - 6-5-2010 at 09:47 PM

Tomorrow I will clear up a few points. Examples:

I was really pushing that Big Ugly Van (BUV) up hills with a stiff tow rope.

It was all David K's fault. His new forum name is San Andreas Fault.

Who told Marian about Isela? Who? :lol::lol::lol:

edm1 - 6-5-2010 at 09:54 PM

"pushing that Big Ugly Van (BUV) "

Whatever you say Neal :-)

We're just happy to have you back, and you haven't lost your usual sense of humor.

Welcome back. Is that Tacoma ready for Shell Island?

Art

BajaCactus - 6-5-2010 at 10:47 PM

I am very glad you make it home safely Neal... and it was not me who told Marian ... by her request, she had access to all our video security cameras... so you better come clean my friend... jejeje

BajaCactus

[Edited on 6-6-2010 by BajaCactus]

hbmurphy ignites edm1's tire with gasoline

David K - 6-5-2010 at 11:44 PM

Click on image to see movie I took... If someone can make it go in slow motion around 12 seconds into the clip, that may be even more dramatic!

[Edited on 6-6-2010 by David K]

Neal Johns - 6-6-2010 at 07:49 AM

See http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46102&pag...

for post after I got home.
Neal

hbmurphy - 6-6-2010 at 09:39 AM

Neal - Did you release the heilium out of your camper? ...and I want a re-match of the race out of the bog!

Neal Johns - 6-6-2010 at 10:05 AM

Ken Cooke
Yep, the Tacoma is weight overloaded. Due to that, over the last 11 years carrying a pop-top camper, I have two rear wheel bearing failures.

This trip is the first time a ring and pinion has given any trouble.
The tie rods bindings were a result of the short tow strap necessitated by the sharp turns in the road and the rocks hit as a result of limited steering and my incompetence.

hbmurphy
That was no race, it was a Turtle Mud Crawl.
Helium? It was filled with hot air. :lol::lol::lol:

David K - 6-6-2010 at 02:54 PM

One thing for sure Ken, nobody was in 2WD in there!!! :yes::spingrin:

Well, I take that back... while Neal was in '4WD' on his transfer case, coming out he was a FRONT wheel drive Tacoma after the ring and pinion blew out, and he removed the drive shaft!

Ken Cooke - 6-6-2010 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
One thing for sure Ken, nobody was in 2WD in there!!! :yes::spingrin:

Well, I take that back... while Neal was in '4WD' on his transfer case, coming out he was a FRONT wheel drive Tacoma after the ring and pinion blew out, and he removed the drive shaft!

While I was exploring the borderlands with my wife Leidys this weekend, I was thinking about Neal and his Tacoma. I even saw a previous-generation Tacoma (w/Camper) on the I-5 traveling northbound, but it wasn't him. Good to hear he made it home!

surfer jim - 6-6-2010 at 05:51 PM

That "bog" looks worse than the hill climbs.

Did the mud wash off itself or get dried on ? In either case what a mess.

edm1 - 6-6-2010 at 07:37 PM

Quote:

Did the mud wash off itself or get dried on ? In either case what a mess.

Surprisingly, the mud must have washed off itself; I checked the undercarriage of my motorhome this weekend and NO MUD.

Instead I found many loose things and a cracked panhard bar mount and braces up front. Tighetened them and a few beads of weld and I'm ready for Shell Island. My mudguards still need straightening; my rear bumper is 5 inches higher now, with the fiberglass rear quarters trimmed to an angle pointing to the higher rear bumper.

Art

David K - 6-7-2010 at 06:30 PM

You have one of those 'self-cleaning' 4WD vans!

My rear bumper is almost back to where it started... self repairing bumper (with memory in the steel... what will Toyota think of next???)!:lol::rolleyes::light:

Steve in Oro Valley - 6-8-2010 at 11:27 AM

Very interesting trip report...

Was that a Pacific tree frog you caught on camera?

After my life experiences with water in bearings and axles and with overloaded suvs, I would be very happy to walk the last 2 miles or so to explore close up and perhaps sneek up on some wildlife...

In the cool seasons of Baja Arizona, I make it a practice of driving to remote canyons and mountains and putting in about 8-10 miles per week hiking ...

But I understand the pull of being one with the suv and testing the limits of machinery.....

Thanks for the great pictures of the blue palms and dodder covered copalquines...

Steve in Oro Valley

Cyanide41 - 6-9-2010 at 11:00 AM

Aw crap! How the hell did I miss this? I mean not only did I miss the event, I missed the entire thread! Looks like a good time, sorry I missed it.

hbmurphy - 6-9-2010 at 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve in Oro Valley
Very interesting trip report...

Was that a Pacific tree frog you caught on camera?

After my life experiences with water in bearings and axles and with overloaded suvs, I would be very happy to walk the last 2 miles or so to explore close up and perhaps sneek up on some wildlife...

In the cool seasons of Baja Arizona, I make it a practice of driving to remote canyons and mountains and putting in about 8-10 miles per week hiking ...

But I understand the pull of being one with the suv and testing the limits of machinery.....

Thanks for the great pictures of the blue palms and dodder covered copalquines...

Steve in Oro Valley

Frog
I don't know what kind of frog it was! ?

Water Damage
For those of you that have not modified your rear breather like this:

You may want to change out your diff lube. If it is a limited slip differential - remember to use the right gear lube or your rear will chatter and I am not talking about the green house gas type!

On most Toyotas (I am partial) the front breather is located near or above the same vertical hieght as the intake so, you should be good there.

This lube change is cheap insurance to a long differential life.

If you are interested in making your truck more swamp proof, look at this thread...

Diff Breather Mod

[Edited on 6-9-2010 by hbmurphy]

David K - 6-9-2010 at 11:47 AM

Um, Paul... Since I was as much underwater as you... Is the diff. fluid change something I need to have done (soon)?

hbmurphy - 6-9-2010 at 11:55 AM

After taking a short bath…

This truck's front differential looked like this about 100 miles later. I place the blame on 4WheelParts for not putting the breather back on the front diff housing….

Unrelated to Mud but still interesting regarding breaking a ring and pinion...
This is what my gear looked like after I wheeled 10 miles in reverese after breaking the first time...

climbing this wall at Aftershock (Hammers - Johnson Valley)

so, I realize that many may think "I go through stuff like that all the time." For a little work you can protect your truck from falling victim to a contaminated diff.

Steve in Oro Valley - 6-9-2010 at 02:00 PM

Good info on diff vent tubes!

About 2 months ago I drove on a remote 4wd trail in Fresnal Canyon ( Baboquivari Mtns on the reservation side SW of Tucson) and went thru water (less than 18 inches on hard substrate) several times and a little later I could smell that cooking lube grease smell when the breeze shifted.....

It occurred that I may have sucked in some water into the axle differentials and the smell was venting out as it heated up....

I have a 99 Cherokee 4X4 with a Detroit "soft" locker in the rear...

Does that smell of burning diff lube indicate that I may have to repack all the bearings and change out all the lubes??

What is your experience?

Steve in Oro Valley

Barry A. - 6-9-2010 at 03:13 PM

A simple check of your diff fluid can be made by unscrewing the plug and looking inside with a flashlite, or take a sample, or both--------if the lube is milky it is contaminated and needs to be changed out pronto. If it is clear with no clouding, then it is probably ok.

If in doubt, just change it with the PROPER fluid. (very cheap insurance)

Barry

CG - 6-9-2010 at 03:39 PM

I had my diff oil changed when I got back just to make sure. I didn't have any water in there & I was in there longer than the other trucks. You guys might want to check to make sure, but it usually only gets in when you sit in the water for a time rather than just driving through.

I'm going to make sure my breather tubes are run up better anyways just to be ready for next time!

I had the whole inside of my car cleaned to get the muddy water out. They took out the seats and lifted the carpeting to make sure they got it all:o

Baja12valve - 6-9-2010 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve in Oro Valley
Good info on diff vent tubes!

About 2 months ago I drove on a remote 4wd trail in Fresnal Canyon ( Baboquivari Mtns on the reservation side SW of Tucson) and went thru water (less than 18 inches on hard substrate) several times and a little later I could smell that cooking lube grease smell when the breeze shifted.....

It occurred that I may have sucked in some water into the axle differentials and the smell was venting out as it heated up....

I have a 99 Cherokee 4X4 with a Detroit "soft" locker in the rear...

Does that smell of burning diff lube indicate that I may have to repack all the bearings and change out all the lubes??

What is your experience?

Steve in Oro Valley

If you have a lot of water in the oil, the oil will look like a foamy coffee milkshake. The water will emulsify into the oil and cause it will lose all lubricity. If it is like that , change it, drive on it for a few days and change it again until it is clear. If you do it soon enough, all bearings and other parts will be OK.

Barry A. - 6-9-2010 at 04:10 PM

I actually does not take much water-----a tablespoon of water will foul up things royally.

Barry

edm1 - 6-9-2010 at 08:16 PM

Changed all fluids this weekend - tranny, xfer case, front/rear diff - except engine oil (I changed oil before the trip) and steering fluid. Also repacked all wheel bearings. There wasn't any sign of oil, but what the heck I already opened the hubs to check for water, may as well repack them.

My breather tubes are both above the frame rails so I think that's good enough. My front differential was a little overfilled during the trip, and it vented probably a pint on the trail (CG thought it was steering fluid).

Also having the two tires re-mounted/balanced this weekend (the two that we had to reseat the beads - I'm sure there's dirt and maybe water (or worse gasoline :-) inside. May as well have the rest of the wheels rebalanced (lost many chunks of the tires). And be ready for Shell Island soon.

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by edm1]

Barry A. - 6-9-2010 at 08:28 PM

Well done, edm 1-----------:yes:

A sure way to eliminate residual gasoline in the tire is to use the Neal John's method-------a match to the valve stem. Tried and true. :lol: I like it!!!

(disclaimer: don't do this at home)

Barry

hbmurphy - 6-9-2010 at 08:29 PM

Just a little tip for mounting tires... if you have your tires mounted so that the I in PSI mark is clocked to the valve you will know if you spun a tire. That way you can break the bead and spin it back and your golden.

torch - 6-9-2010 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hbmurphy
Just a little tip for mounting tires... if you have your tires mounted so that the I in PSI mark is clocked to the valve you will know if you spun a tire. That way you can break the bead and spin it back and your golden.

never thought of that and I like it. It will trip out the guys at my tire place.

edm1 - 6-9-2010 at 08:57 PM

Thanks for the tip Paul. I'll have to tell that to the garage tire technician because after all the tire mounting troubles we went through last week, I'm not remounting it myself :-) LOL besides I don't have a wheel balancer.

hbmurphy - 6-9-2010 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Paul. I'll have to tell that to the garage tire technician because after all the tire mounting troubles we went through last week, I'm not remounting it myself :-) LOL besides I don't have a wheel balancer.

"... a wheel balancer." yet... :light:

David K - 6-10-2010 at 12:11 PM

I will be happy to ignite more gasoline in your tires, Art! A much more exciting way to get rid of it! :bounce::spingrin::smug:

hbmurphy - 6-10-2010 at 12:49 PM

Just got off the phone with David K... I didn't mean to cause any undue anxiety but he wanted to know how serious the contamination of diff fluid would be since we weren't in that long...

Well, it is like the 10 second rule with food! If your diff is contaminated it should be changed - I changed mine 'cause I am just a bit sensitive to rear end problems and I have yet to install a high diff breather tube. Yes, it was emulsified just a tad - boy I wish someone would make some scented gear lubes! - man that stuff stinks!

Anyway for David to do the change out himself, he can use this thread that will help him do it with relative ease...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/24545-changi...

I know it may sound like over kill to some, and I know that many get away with it, but if you want to have years of fun getting back home from your trips, preventative measures are priceless!

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by hbmurphy]

for those that have a Limited Slip Differential (LSD - not to be confused with, well. LSD) make sure you use LSD type fluid! :light:

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by hbmurphy]

Bajatripper - 6-10-2010 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Changed all fluids this weekend - tranny, xfer case, front/rear diff - except engine oil (I changed oil before the trip) and steering fluid. Also repacked all wheel bearings. There wasn't any sign of oil, but what the heck I already opened the hubs to check for water, may as well repack them.

Hey, Art
It's absolutely none of my business, but I feel that we bonded out there in the boonies, so if I may be so bold, I'd like to ask you a personal question: when do you find time for your wife? The way you carry on with your motor home, I'm starting to wonder if that relationship is a healthy one.

Just wondering,
Steve

David K - 6-10-2010 at 05:32 PM

Thank you Paul... I appreciate your help.

A follow-up question:

Is there no need to be concerned with the front differential?

edm1 - 6-10-2010 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

Hey, Art
It's absolutely none of my business, but I feel that we bonded out there in the boonies, so if I may be so bold, I'd like to ask you a personal question: when do you find time for your wife? The way you carry on with your motor home, I'm starting to wonder if that relationship is a healthy one.

Just wondering,
Steve

Steve, incidentally, Maya and I was able to get back home on June 2nd, rest and be there for our 35th anniversary the following day. Of course she had to remind me about it in the morning :-). And then the next day was Maya's 21st birthday.

Steve, after you've been together married for 35 years, you've had enough time together. My wife is the one who "finds" the time with me as I am and always have been busy with job, business etc. in the past. She's the one who has time to find time with me, as she's a fulltime housewife and have been for the last 35 years, and I think she finds enough time with me, although she copmplains I'm always busy with my toys. But whose wife doesn't complain?

My wife dreads going to the boonies, panics at the sight of 8500 elevations, and has to take an extra high blood pressure pill when the RV is beyond 1% not level. She'd rather go to the mall; I'd rather hit the trails. Mind you, I've never done these things when the kids were growing up; I was always there for them within minutes. When I'm out of sight she makes herself busy, hitting the malls/shops, chatting with our adult kids over the phone, friends, her sister, my sisters, or Facebook, Internet, etc.

Life's too short, enjoy it while you can. There's no going back.

[Edited on 6-11-2010 by edm1]

Udo - 6-10-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
I will be happy to ignite more gasoline in your tires, Art! A much more exciting way to get rid of it! :bounce::spingrin::smug:

When we played in the dunes, we always used starting fluid on the sand tires that popped a bead.
Nice POP!

edm1 - 6-10-2010 at 07:17 PM

Quote:

You are welcome David, but I don't think I will be breaking a bead at Shell Island. Maybe at Moab or Rubicon, but I'll have fatter tires by then.

edm1 - 6-10-2010 at 07:24 PM

"10 second rule with food"!

My rule too, except mine is 6 seconds. What happens is when the warm/hot axle gets dipped in cold/colder water, a vacuum forms inside that "sucks" the water through the seals, not just through an exposed breather tube, even worse if the breather tube is plugged up. I believe 4wd service manuals recommend drain and re-fill of gear lube and repacking of wheel bearings after crossing waterways.

hbmurphy - 6-10-2010 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Thank you Paul... I appreciate your help.

A follow-up question:

Is there no need to be concerned with the front differential?

NO! If you had a problem there you would also, more than likely, have a hydro-locked engine as well. When you lift the hood on your truck on the driver's side, about an inch or two behind the battery, on the fender well, you will see two breather hoses. One is for your ADD breather (Automatic Differential Disconnect) and the other is for the differential housing. As long as these weren't soaking in water, you are okay! I just wished they did the same thing for the rear at the factory!

hbmurphy - 6-10-2010 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
"10 second rule with food"!

My rule too, except mine is 6 seconds. What happens is when the warm/hot axle gets dipped in cold/colder water, a vacuum forms inside that "sucks" the water through the seals, not just through an exposed breather tube, even worse if the breather tube is plugged up. I believe 4wd service manuals recommend drain and re-fill of gear lube and repacking of wheel bearings after crossing waterways.

...vacuum forms inside that "sucks" the water through the seals...

Good point!!! One thing that I do on water crossings is to put the fan on full bast and roll up the windows in an attempt to put a postive pressure on the 'dry side' of the cab! :tumble:

hbmurphy - 6-10-2010 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Art, Paul, Udo... you all are great people and look forward to more times together.

Remember, if you are in my town, mi casa es tu casa!

Let's hope for a Shell Island trip within the next 4 weeks!

Sounds good... I go right now to warm Zoomie up to the idea... I think she wants to go to the Sierras... I know that sounds crazy on here... I may have to go solo.

David K - 6-10-2010 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You are welcome David, but I don't think I will be breaking a bead at Shell Island. Maybe at Moab or Rubicon, but I'll have fatter tires by then.

Art, Paul, and the rest of the Santa Maria gang... and those who wished they went (like Udo)... you all are great people and look forward to more times together.

Remember, if you are in my town, mi casa es tu casa!

Bob H - 6-10-2010 at 10:41 PM

Quote:

David... New thread for Shell Island! I'm ready within four weeks!

Start a NEW THREAD for this........... Bob H

hbmurphy - 6-11-2010 at 07:35 AM

Any update with Neal?

David K - 6-11-2010 at 07:41 AM

Other than he is home... nope. He called me a couple days ago, and he heard me. So, that means Marian didn't chew his ear off (about the camper)! :rolleyes:

David K - 6-11-2010 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:

David... New thread for Shell Island! I'm ready within four weeks!

Start a NEW THREAD for this........... Bob H

Well, Shell Island is easy (as long as the tide isn't too high and it is really an 'island'), but I will drop you a note. Generally, it is too hot for a lot of people... But we love the summer there, and swimming in the warm sea day and night.

[Edited on 6-11-2010 by David K]

P1010006.jpg - 49kB

TMW - 6-11-2010 at 07:57 AM

I might stop by for a cold one on my way to the mounbtains and pacific.

David K - 6-11-2010 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I might stop by for a cold one on my way to the mounbtains and pacific.

One ice box is devoted to ice cold Pacifico/ XX/ Tecate :light:

See you on the beach!

BAJACAT - 6-12-2010 at 08:28 AM

Let me know, when I want to go...

Neal Johns - 6-12-2010 at 01:16 PM

Insurance update:
1. From El Rosario called Insurance Co. (by Discover Baja).
2. Next day an adjuster from Ensenada came, we filled out paperwork, he took pictures, said go home (USA) and call xxx in Baja.
3. Called xxx and he said call Texas # yyy. (Independent agency that does the legwork).
4.. I called Texas and they sent me a request to fill out about 15 forms, email them back so they could get started, then mail original hard copies. Local Adjuster promised soon.
5. Local Adjuster from nearby Redlands came this morning, took pictures, and filled out report.

All good so far. All people contacted friendly and helpful just like Nomads! Weekends slowed things down a little.
Neal

David K - 6-12-2010 at 01:29 PM

Thanks Neal, it is great to hear how the insurance works. The Discover Baja Travel Club policy is one that allows repair work to be done in the USA or Canada so that we are not prevented from going home after an accident.

edm1 - 6-12-2010 at 02:01 PM

Great news Neal.

I wish I could get collision/damage coverage for my motorhome (also DiscoverBaja) but coverage is not available since it's registered as 1979 MH (too "old") :-), just liability.

hbmurphy - 6-12-2010 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Great news Neal.

I wish I could get collision/damage coverage for my motorhome (also DiscoverBaja) but coverage is not available since it's registered as 1979 MH (too "old") :-), just liability.

Yeah but being self insured is not too bad either... Think of those that can't weld :)

TMW - 6-13-2010 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Great news Neal.

What about your US insurance company? Some like Allstate cover your vehicle in Mexico if within 75 miles of the border. Whos to say if you were within 75 miles , that's what my agent told me when I ask him. I did total my 93 Toyota in Dec 2007 in Mexicali and they paid it off. I don't know if a 1979 can be covered. Loydes(sp) of London???

David K - 6-13-2010 at 04:10 PM

State Farm is good to 50 miles from the border line.

edm1 - 6-14-2010 at 08:17 PM

How about some damage assessment from the trip (and fixes / lessons learned), now that the euphoria from the trip is starting to die down? Mine just goes on and on:

1. 2 tires eaten up by the rocks and bog (one trashed and the other only good as spare) - tires remounted/re-balanced, 2 used tires purchased for spare)

2. Rear bumper bent back got hung up on boulder; bent bumper frame mount (straightened and reinforced)

3. Front panhard bar mount cracked, both frame mount and axle mount, under the stress (welded them back)

4. Rear air bag mounts mangled under stress (had to remove them on the trail) - squared them back and re welded/reinforced

5. Rear panhard bar mount came off frame weld (welding done in Catavinia 3 years ago); removed on the trail - really cleaned and TIG welded them this time

6. Loose front grill bolts and nuts; radiator top mount broke loose; (replaced mount and tightened nuts and bolts)

7. Loose steering linkages - tie rod end shafts, steering column, including steering box worm gear and sector preload. (tightened/adjusted)

8. Loose front bearing preload (lock nut tightened almost one full turn); bearings were OK

9. Galley/kitchen counter, buckled under weight of the cupboard cabinet and shock (reinforced)

10. Rear quarter (both sides) fiberglass bottom body crack and deep scratches from rocks (trimmed and leaving the scars for now)

11. Bent gas can carrier (dual 5-gal) under frame (straightened)

12. Bent rear mudguards (straightened)

13. Loose exhaust flange and dual cat exhaust mounts (tightened)

14. Roof gutter (both sides) adhesive came off from brushing against hanging branches etc. (replaced adhesive with double-sided mounting tape)

15. Side mirror mounts deformed, minor (yet to be straightened / fixed)

16. Last but not least (not really damages) lots of pinstripes - I'm preserving them there :-)

Despite of all of these, it was fun, all were non-critical components and they were fixed in a couple of weekends, I'm ready to go back to Baja.

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by edm1]

hbmurphy - 6-14-2010 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
How about some damage assessment from the trip (and fixes / lessons learned), now that the euphoria from the trip is starting to die down? Mine just goes on and on:

1. 2 tires eatep up by the rocks and bog (one trashed and the other only good as spare) - tires remounted/re-balanced, 2 used tires purchased for spare)

2. Rear bumper bent back got hung up on boulder; bent bumper frame mount (straightened and reinforced)

3. Front panhard bar mount cracked, both frame mount and axle mount, under the stress (welded them back)

4. Rear air bag mounts mangled under stress (had to remove them on the trail) - squared them back and re welded/reinforced

5. Rear panhard bar mount came off frame weld (welding done in Catavinia 3 years ago); removed on the trail - really cleaned and TIG welded them this time

6. Loose front grill bolts and nuts; radiator top mount broke loose; (replaced mount and tightened nuts and bolts)

7. Loose steering linkages - tie rod end shafts, steering column, including steering box worm gear and sector preload. (tightened/adjusted)

8. Loose front bearing preload (lock nut tightened almost one full turn); bearings were OK

9. Galley/kitchen counter, buckled under weight of the cupboard cabinet and shock (reinforced)

10. Rear quarter (both sides) fiberglass bottom body crack and deep scratches from rocks (trimmed and leaving the scars for now)

11. Bent gas can carrier (dual 5-gal) under frame (straightened)

12. Roof gutter (both sides) adhesive came off from brushing against hanging branches etc. (replaced adhesive with double-sided mounting tape)

13. Side mirror mounts deformed, minor (yet to be straightened / fixed)

14. Last but not least (not really damages) lots of pinstripes - I'm preserving them there :-)

Despite of all of these, it was fun, all were non-critical components and they were fixed in a couple of weekends, I'm ready to go back to Baja.

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by edm1]

Considering - you got out unscathed! ;-) Those trail stripes are a b-tch! I can only hope that after 10 years the truck with have that highly sought after 'patina!' :lol:

I am glad to see you have taken inventory... Me? I had to get out and wheel again!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/97820-miller-jeep-trail-trail-report-june-13-2010-a.html

David K - 6-14-2010 at 09:58 PM

My rear bumper is almost back to where it belongs, still needs some metal work on the mounts perhaps to get it all the way back to where it belongs.

LET'S DO SOME BAJA JEEPING!

Ken Cooke - 6-18-2010 at 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Let me know, when I want to go...

Leidys' Greencard came in the mail today. I haven't stepped foot inside of Mexico since Dia de los Reyes '09. Keep us posted...better yet, start a Shell Island thread!

edm1 - 6-18-2010 at 11:21 PM

I look forward to meeting you and Leidy in Baja Ken and soon.

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
I look forward to meeting you and Leidy in Baja Ken and soon.

Art, that would be great. I can't wait to see your big motorhome!

David K - 6-19-2010 at 07:45 AM

Maybe 4th of July weekend?

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 07:56 AM

David, Do you have a sunshade? Otherwise, we would just be visiting during the afternoon. Leidys' face breaks out from too much direct sunlight.

David K - 6-19-2010 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
David, Do you have a sunshade? Otherwise, we would just be visiting during the afternoon. Leidys' face breaks out from too much direct sunlight.

Ken, don't you look at my trip photos? Here's the last trip to Shell Island (Oct. 2009): http://vivabaja.com/1009/

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 08:04 AM

Next question, will my Rubicon make it? :lol::bounce:

David K - 6-19-2010 at 08:10 AM

Piece of cake! (well, unless you break... "it's a Jeep thing") ;)

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 08:15 AM

Leidys isn't scared of the heat. She has been wanting some warm weather lately. Riverside has been "cold" for her lately.:lol:

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Maybe 4th of July weekend?

I think that's the best chance we have, while it's still 'cool', after early July it will be hot.

Let's start the sign up for the trip.

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 03:40 PM

"He says, 'if he didn't have wings, he would want four wheel drive'!

"

I'd rather have wings! I'll trade my 4x4 motorhome for real wings, not some airplane :-)

What's the best time to get there

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 03:43 PM

What's the best time to cross the tide to Shell Island, and when's the best time to leave, these days (July)?

If we get there on Saturday spend the night and the whole day and night Sunday, that's enough R&R, then head home Monday morning.

What do you think?

David K - 6-19-2010 at 04:50 PM

Do what-ever you like Art... That's what Baja's all about.... TOTAL RELAXATION (and some tough four wheeling)!

The moon is in a quarter phase on July 4, so no problems getting onto the island (probably)!

[Edited on 6-29-2010 by David K]

David K - 6-21-2010 at 04:37 PM

Quote:

Ken... get a pop up sun shade! Desert and Baja camping enjoyment requires it!

No place to store one.

Ken Cooke - 6-26-2010 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Ken... get a pop up sun shade! Desert and Baja camping enjoyment requires it!

I have both a couple of sunshades here in storage, but I haven't driven a pickup truck since 2003.

David K - 6-26-2010 at 09:23 PM

Strap it to the Jeep, somewhere! Without shade you guys will not be able to enjoy the beach for very long... With shade, you can just kick back drink cold ones, take dips in the Sea of Cortez and back under the shade... the only way to go.

Ken Cooke - 6-27-2010 at 09:08 AM

Quote:
Strap it to the Jeep, somewhere! Without shade you guys will not be able to enjoy the beach for very long... With shade, you can just kick back drink cold ones, take dips in the Sea of Cortez and back under the shade... the only way to go.

I have the frame, but no shade. Procuring a canopy will not be difficult. Leidys is a Salsa-music fanatic, btw.

David K - 6-27-2010 at 09:11 AM

How come you aren't using your Shell Island thread you started Ken?

Here is that thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46308

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 6-27-2010 at 11:01 AM

Quote:
How come you aren't using your Shell Island thread you started Ken?

Here is that thread: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46308

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by David K]

I don't read that good.:!:

Pages:  1    3