BajaNomad

Mulege Dorado Tournament

Finaddict - 5-2-2010 at 11:48 AM

Mulege Dorado Fishing Tournament May 21 and 22. Lots of chances to win $ and many prizes. For more info check mulegefishingtournament.com.

capt. mike - 5-2-2010 at 01:25 PM

who wants to go?
i'll do a run if i can get 3 pax.
fisher persons - anyone? can set you up with a panga easily.
rooms at serenidad are $65 - good deal, and i get a discount too.

mulegemichael - 5-2-2010 at 03:35 PM

Hey finaddict...i just went to your mulegetournamentfishing site and the photo gallery was EMPTY!..that's right...what's the deal?

BajaBruno - 5-2-2010 at 04:20 PM

I just checked the rates from SFO =>LTO=>SFO. Best price is $835. Hahaha! Yeah, like that will happen...

Tourney

Finaddict - 5-2-2010 at 04:41 PM

Check with Capt. Mike. Fly to Arizona and he will fly you directly to Mulege and back.

woody with a view - 5-2-2010 at 04:48 PM

Mike

what's the $/person X3 to step off the plane in mulege? hotel/boat/food/drinks not included...

[Edited on 5-2-2010 by woody in ob]

Tourney

Finaddict - 5-2-2010 at 04:52 PM

Mike I just clicked on the web site and looked at 55 pictures. Try again. Gary

capt. mike - 5-2-2010 at 04:53 PM

yes - 3 seats open. running a discount before the big memorial weekend blowout which just sold out.
20% off.
email me or PM me.
leave thursday, return sunday.
Southwest ALWAYS has cheap seats to phx from anywhere with 14 days advance purchase.

BTW - 3 names were just added to the no fly list so no worries on having to sit with them....hahahahaha...;D

Hey Woody

capt. mike - 5-3-2010 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Mike

what's the $/person X3 to step off the plane in mulege? hotel/boat/food/drinks not included...

just sent you the info.
lemme know.

bump

mulege marv - 5-5-2010 at 05:42 AM

sorry, just needed to bump it to keep it visible.please visit the website for all the details on the tourney.

capt. mike - 5-5-2010 at 06:56 AM

Marv i'll see you fri - but Tom gets there thursday.

bajajon - 5-5-2010 at 09:44 AM

Are there any dorado showing up yet?

Pompano - 5-5-2010 at 02:35 PM

[sIze=4]There are dorado now..but no big numbers.

Water temps this morning from 70.5 to 73.4.

Best chances today: About 10 miles due east of the mine at Punta Conception. Water is warmest 3 miles out from the slide.

Lots of sargasso showing. Hopefully some paddies will form.

..2 anglers, 4 small dorado (6-10lbs)
..Pemex & Mexican flag feathers
..find some floating material (in our case a wandering block of styrofoam)
..skipping at 10-12mph on zig-zag course.

Talked to 2 other boats that connected with dorado also.

Sorry, someone forgot the camera!

Good luck to all in the tournament.
[/size]

Skipjack Joe - 5-5-2010 at 02:44 PM

What ?!! No pictures of co-pilot? :fire::fire::fire::fire:

Russ - 5-5-2010 at 02:49 PM

There were a couple reports from Punta Chivato boats too. First guy ("Tapedeck") reported he was on a school 12 miles E. of Santa Inez. 12+ pound fish. The other boat ("Putzer") headed out that way and after much searching got into a school also.
The "forecast" is for calming winds/seas the next 3 days through Sunday.

Pompano - 5-5-2010 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
What ?!! No pictures of co-pilot? :fire::fire::fire::fire:

Tsk, tsk, tsk..this is about fishing, not girl-watching.

Sorry Igor, no more pics of Co-pilot, but as you know, good-looking gals are called birds in London.

So here's a nice bird I photographed the other day..a Tropical Bird no less.

Russ - 5-6-2010 at 01:05 PM

A few boats from PC tried their luck for dodos today North & South. Zip! How about the Mulegé boats? I got the tin boat out but only about 6 mile past the islands. It's still new to me but I'm getting the feel if it. It's a little stern heavy. Either I have to loose a lot of weight or get a longer tiller handle. The water was calmer than Pompano's bird pic above. I was out about 4 hours and used less the 2 gals of gas! Gonna make a couple changes and try again tomorrow.

See you out there on the open sea, Russ.

Pompano - 5-6-2010 at 02:00 PM

Tomorrow looks to be even better than today's very calm water..good conditions for any size boat.

The fish seem to be on the warmer current about 12-14 miles due east of Pta. Chivato and SE from there..and swinging closer to Pt. Conception..to within 5-6 miles offshore. As the water warms and sargasso bunches up the fish will move closer ashore. Last year the dorado were just off Santa Inez for a long, long time..everyone was getting into them. Not huge... however, the best I heard was 40lbs and that's a decent bull anywhere.

Today..The report I got from Mateo was for yellowtail, which are good, but right now everyone's dorado hungry. Yesterday it was a strong Southeaster, which made coming home from Pt. Rosa a surfer's delight.

Hope to see you out there..Co-pilot packs a mean lunch.
Tight lines!

BajaBruno - 5-6-2010 at 04:35 PM

You're a lucky guy, Pompano--I rarely ever see a tropic bird in Baja. Lovely critters.

ya snooze ya lose...

capt. mike - 5-9-2010 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
Mike

just sent you the info.
lemme know.

trip was booked today.
try me next time, memorial weekend open for???? BA maybe??

Pompano - 5-9-2010 at 09:21 PM

Bumping the MULEGE DORADO TOURNAMENT alert back up.

The do-dos are nearby. Water temps are up...lots of catches happening now.

A boat in the middle of some dorado the other day. Nice color, fellows...

Skipjack Joe - 5-9-2010 at 09:38 PM

You don't see pink boats very often ...

Bob and Susan - 5-10-2010 at 05:55 AM

everyone is getting dorado ...

WOULD HAVE BEEN TOP GUN?

Pompano - 5-10-2010 at 06:50 AM

Nomad aquaholic..and another Roger. He's passed from the Baja scene, but not forgotten by us that knew and loved him. He lived on the Posada hilltop, Montana Breaks, & Puget Sound... and was an avid fisherman, outdoorsman, and naturalist. His IQ was off the charts, a doctorate in ecological zoology, and was the most congenial, polite, and interesting person I ever met. I'm very proud to have called him my dear friend since the day we met back in 1962.

We had some times, compadre.

(Sorry about the nostalgia, folks.. didn't mean to make this a memorial, but once you start on the memories, it's tough to edit them out.)

This is Roger's nice bull he caught just out of Mulege one hot afternoon in 1983. Roger was 6'1" so you can see it would have made a good entry into this season's Mulege Dorado Tournament. He would have loved to participated in this event. He was also a good friend of Marty Robison, to whom this tournament is dedicated.

Hope him and Marty are watching from their captain's chairs.

Tight Lines! ... to all in the tournament!

bajajon - 5-10-2010 at 01:26 PM

Great news about the fish showing up. I plan on arriving at Posada on the 17th. Save a few for me

Bob and Susan - 5-10-2010 at 03:10 PM

caught saturday...

here's betty...

Bob and Susan - 5-10-2010 at 06:14 PM

more from mulege...

http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaReport_wade_051010.aspx

Bob and Susan - 5-10-2010 at 06:16 PM

"girls only" boat...from western outdoors news

http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaReport_wade_051010.aspx

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by Bob and Susan]

Pompano - 5-11-2010 at 06:24 AM

MULEGE DORADO LOCATION UPDATE

Pta. Chivato - Sta. Inez Islands - Tortuga Island areas

27.25ºN/111.75ºW

Lots of dorado action now starting about 8 miles NNE of the Sta. Inez Islands...on a line towards Tortuga Island. Water temps are still pretty low in those areas at 69-70 in some spots, but don't let that stop you.

Reliable sources tell me some nice bulls were brought in..to 35 lbs.

[Edited on 5-11-2010 by Pompano]

Russ - 5-11-2010 at 07:22 AM

Terrafin showing warmest waters southern range (the mine ) 74+º
I'll post a pic of the area on Fri. If memory allows.

Dorado tournament

Finaddict - 5-13-2010 at 04:56 PM

Ballyhood has sweet deals for Mulege fishermen. Check web site on Mulegefishingtournament.com.