BajaNomad

GONZAGA BAY AREA MAPS 1746 to 2008

David K - 5-19-2010 at 05:51 PM

Here is a sample of some of the maps of Baja over the years, zoomed in on the area around Bahia San Luis Gonzaga (Punta Willard at north end) and Ensenada de San Francisquito (Punta Final at south end)...

EDIT: 1746 map added, go to bottom...

1757 by Miguel Venegas (from Miguel de Barco's 'Ethnology and Linguistics of Baja California', Dawson Series #44)

1772 by Jacob Baegert (out of Dawson Series #45)

1905 Map of Mines and Roads in Lower California

1907 Map from Arthur North's 'Camp and Camino in Lower California'

1962 Map from Howard Gulick in the 'Lower California Guidebook'

1970 Map from Cliff Cross in the 'Baja California Mexico Guide'

1975 from the 'Baja California Guidebook'

2003 Baja California Almanac's folding map from Landon Crumpton

2008 National Geographic Adventure Travel Map

[Edited on 8-9-2013 by David K]

steekers - 5-19-2010 at 10:22 PM

Very interesting! Names seem to morph. As I travel there by road now, there are new names given to many of the campos.

capt. mike - 5-20-2010 at 05:35 AM

mike - que pasa on your adventura this past weekend??
go by Paradones??

David K - 5-20-2010 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by steekers
Very interesting! Names seem to morph. As I travel there by road now, there are new names given to many of the campos.

Names get switched by map makers in Mexico City, as well!

I didn't show it, but the Mexican topo (which the Baja Almanac uses) switched the two bay names of Gonzaga. See the 1962 and 1970 maps for the correct names. The northern, smaller bay between Papa Fernandez' and Alfonsina's is Bahia San Luis Gonzaga. It was the more sheltered bay and port for the Spanish who off loaded supplies for the missions of Santa Maria and San Fernando there. Ruins of a warehouse are on the shore of the bay...

Yachties and boat maps like to call San Luis Gonzaga Bay "Willard Bay" (named after the point)...

The larger bay between Alfonsina's and Punta Final is Ensenada de San Francisquito. The connection is the water hole on the Camino Real called San Francisquito (sometimes San Francisco) near Las Arrastras... the arroyo flows from there to this bay (merges with Arroyo Santa Maria). The gold ore mill run by William Lacy overlooking Punta Final was called Molino de San Francisquito before Lacy died and it was renamed Molino de Lacy...

Ore was shipped out from Puerto de San Francisquito... today the vacation village called Punta Final.

Anyway, the topo map switched the two names... but pretty much everyone calls both bays "Gonzaga"...

David K - 7-29-2010 at 05:15 PM

Time to do more close-up maps over the years of your favorite places in Baja? Just tell me where you would like to see how it showed up on maps from the 1700's to today, and I will do my best!

paranewbi - 9-5-2011 at 10:00 AM

Hey David...check out Galleon Article postings. Just posted an offer for you there, but seeing these maps you may already have the book.

David K - 9-5-2011 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by paranewbi
Hey David...check out Galleon Article postings. Just posted an offer for you there, but seeing these maps you may already have the book.

10-4!

David K - 1-15-2012 at 04:38 PM

For old and new Nomads, I have many maps and am happy to share them with you. If there is an area of Baja you are interested in seeing on old or new maps, let me know!

David K - 4-24-2012 at 09:58 AM

Here's another, from the 1970 Auto Club guide to "Baja California del norte"

willardguy - 4-24-2012 at 10:09 AM

roca burke at PF. havent heard that before.

David K - 4-24-2012 at 10:13 AM

Yah, for Snoopy... aren't (old) maps great?!

David K - 9-11-2012 at 05:09 PM

Here's the oldest map that names Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, made by the explorer who named it, in 1746 Padre Consag:

David K - 9-11-2017 at 05:08 PM

More on the warehouse ruins...

Dr. Eric Ritter has been the lead archaeologists at many digs in Baja California. I just learned that INAH has published his paper on the dig at Gonzaga Bay.

Here is the link with many interesting photos and drawings, charts.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/488b16_d6a1399d09974ddd9dd3b0...

It is our belief that this warehouse was used to store off-loaded supplies and people intended for the San Fernando de Velicatá and other missions to the north, shipped to Gonzaga Bay from Loreto in the 1770s and 1780s.

Here is a photo from the 1950s of the warehouse ruins by Howard Gulick, in whose book most of us learned what they were...

PaulW - 9-11-2017 at 05:19 PM

Nice collection

BigBearRider - 9-11-2017 at 06:02 PM

Coco has a "map" of sorts on his wall of Gonzaga Bay. If I recall correctly, he said he flew over the area in the 50s, and made a painting that hangs next to his bed in the main room.

basautter - 9-11-2017 at 06:25 PM

Very cool! I will appreciate the place even more when I visit next month!

Sr.vienes - 9-11-2017 at 06:33 PM

I noticed a trail angling up the mountain kind of east ish from the margarita drinking area at Alfonsinas and I could see it was too small to have been made by machinery and too regular for animals. I asked Joaquin what he knew about it and he told me the story he was told the Padres would post the locals up there to light a signal fire 🔥 so the ship from the mainland wouldn't miss them. Fact or fiction, I would like to know.

freediverbrian - 9-11-2017 at 06:45 PM

All leads to the unanswered question who is Willard ? And is he related to the infamous Willardguy??

willardguy - 9-11-2017 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
All leads to the unanswered question who is Willard ? And is he related to the infamous Willardguy??

willard was papa's pet duck ;)

TMW - 9-12-2017 at 11:08 AM

Interesting that the 2008 Nat Geo map doesn't show the correct route across Chapala to Hwy 1.

SDROB - 9-12-2017 at 02:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
More on the warehouse ruins...

Dr. Eric Ritter has been the lead archaeologists at many digs in Baja California. I just learned that INAH has published his paper on the dig at Gonzaga Bay.

Here is the link with many interesting photos and drawings, charts.

https://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/488b16_d6a1399d09974ddd9dd3b0...

It is our belief that this warehouse was used to store off-loaded supplies and people intended for the San Fernando de Velicatá and other missions to the north, shipped to Gonzaga Bay from Loreto in the 1770s and 1780s.

Here is a photo from the 1950s of the warehouse ruins by Howard Gulick, in whose book most of us learned what they were...

I like this thread, I believe this thread is how I found this site researching about Gonzaga a few years ago.

Thanks David K!

David K - 9-12-2017 at 04:28 PM

My pleasure... seeing historical sites is (to me) like time travel.
I know when I am in Baja, I feel younger, too!

My hope is that if more people know how special certain piles of rocks are, or stumps of adobe wall, then with awareness they will increase in value and be preserved (or at least not destroyed). Enterprising Mexicans could set up a taco stand or camp area by these historic locations and keep them from vanishing by neglect or vandalism.

I hope you had a look at the 2011 archeological dig paper. There are people who have homes at Gonzaga Bay that don't even know this is there or what it was.

David K - 9-12-2017 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Interesting that the 2008 Nat Geo map doesn't show the correct route across Chapala to Hwy 1.

Yep, pretty funny.

On satellite maps now (Flash Earth), the end of the pavement, 20 kms. south of Gonzaga is shown... but none of the construction beyond... so the latest images are from around 2014? On Google Earth now, the new image (2016) ends just below Arroyo Santa Maria and then it is a 2005 image.

David K - 8-7-2019 at 11:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Sr.vienes  
I noticed a trail angling up the mountain kind of east ish from the margarita drinking area at Alfonsinas and I could see it was too small to have been made by machinery and too regular for animals. I asked Joaquin what he knew about it and he told me the story he was told the Padres would post the locals up there to light a signal fire 🔥 so the ship from the mainland wouldn't miss them. Fact or fiction, I would like to know.

I apologize for not responding sooner. I just noticed this going over old threads.

I think you are referring to the trail up the island mountain at the end of the sand spit out from Alfonsina's? A fire on the beach could be just as easily seen, if big enough. There were no padres living at the bay, only passing through from the ship at the warehouse and then riding west to Mission San Fernando or beyond. Each mission had only one padre during the Jesuit and Franciscan periods. The Dominicans had two padres per mission. An additional missionary was sometimes stationed at Loreto. So not a lot of padres available to do more than run their mission, hold services and oversee construction projects.

While I don't remember it as a kid in the 60's when we were there, I did climb up it in the 80's! That is how I got this photo... It was a skinny trail, but I was a bit thinner in 1986, too! That's my 4x4 Subaru down there on the sand spit.

nomad 034.jpg - 48kB

PaulW - 8-8-2019 at 08:36 AM

The trail has been there for a very long time. The hike begins at low tide at the end of the sand spit. Find a difficult scramble up the rocks to the real trail. Then the trail gets quite reasonable. It is a long hike to reach any summits and due to incoming tide most of us turn around. Even so a swim was required to get back to the sand spit. Next time I will just keep going since a swim is inevitable anyway.

David K - 8-9-2019 at 05:11 PM

Thanks Paul.