BajaNomad

Looking for east cape lot - want some freedom and not "plans"

knowsam - 6-9-2010 at 11:26 AM

So about me:
I'm thinking about buying a lot on the east cape road in the next 12-18 months to camp/trailer on while I build, or have built an open palapa. I’m not looking for anything too developed , I really like the more rugged – washboard road “protected” lots. Ideally I’d be looking for either an empty lot or open palapa style place, close to the beach (but not on it), with a view of crashing waves. My preferred area was north of San Jose to Cabo Pulmo.

So everything here tells me to stay away from realtors etc. so what is the process? Everything I'm seeing seems to be part of a development, are these like canadian developments, in that they'll have approved designs etc or will I have the ability to build a palapa that I just do my fishing from?

DENNIS - 6-9-2010 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by knowsam
what is the process?

Posting your question here is a good start. Welcome to BajaNomad, knowsam.
Your answers may trickle in slowly, but hang tight. There is no better source of info than right here.

tiotomasbcs - 6-9-2010 at 12:05 PM

Bienvenidos, Amigo. I recomend that you go camping & fishing out there for a month and meet some people. Ask around where there might be property available. Vinorama and Cabo Pulmo have small gringo populations so move in slow and be friendly. Good neighbors are a big asset and sometimes hard to find! Suerte. Tio

dtbushpilot - 6-9-2010 at 04:37 PM

I agree with tio but I would recommend hanging out in the area for a year before buying anything. Be sure to stay there during the summer months before you buy.

We love it in the East Cape, one of the most beautiful places in the world but its not for everybody....especially in September....dt

k-rico - 6-9-2010 at 04:45 PM

Find a bilingual Mexican lawyer to represent your interests after you have found a lot. I paid $500 to one when I bought my house and I'm glad I did. Inform yourself of the process, the Internet is a good resource of course, but have the lawyer execute the process and evaluate all contracts and any other paperwork.

Paulclark - 6-9-2010 at 05:25 PM

HI -- we have developed a subdivision called Castillo de Arena which is 14 miles south of Cabo Pulmo. We have lived in the development for 14 years so are readily accesible to our owners and have a property which has no title issues and is title insurance eligible. Lots are ocean view, with good beach access, go up to 1/2 acre and are priced from $19,000 and up. I would be happy to show you what is available and explain ownership in Mexico. --or just point you in the right direction and refer you to reliable professionals. You can contact me U2U or at pc@eastcapehomes.com

Baja&Back - 6-9-2010 at 05:31 PM

If Los Barriles is an acceptable area, try my friend William Harnecker. He has about 30 undeveloped view, desert & waterfront lots between LB and Pescadero. Definitely won't push something on you. I have PM'd you with his phone number in WA.
Hope this helps!

paul can you give lat long for google earth view?

capt. mike - 6-10-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
HI -- we have developed a subdivision called Castillo de Arena which is 14 miles south of Cabo Pulmo. We have lived in the development for 14 years so are readily accesible to our owners and have a property which has no title issues and is title insurance eligible. Lots are ocean view, with good beach access, go up to 1/2 acre and are priced from $19,000 and up. I would be happy to show you what is available and explain ownership in Mexico. --or just point you in the right direction and refer you to reliable professionals. You can contact me U2U or at pc@eastcapehomes.com

what strips are close? Frailes Rincon etc?

Paulclark - 6-10-2010 at 10:35 AM

23d18'19.18"N
109d26'04.64W

The Google Image is about 5 years old.
The closest strip is Frailes -- which was resurfaced last year and is open.

capt. mike - 6-10-2010 at 03:28 PM

thx that's a damn nice property.
i luv the east cape....some day maybe...

Howard - 6-10-2010 at 06:48 PM

How about lot in Ridgecrest, California? It's only about 950 miles from the East Cape and 100 miles from the Pacific Ocean.
Clear title. The sand is very similar to the East Cape. The main highlight is China Lakes Navel Air Station.

Will trade for Gold, Diamonds or possibly a Ferrari.

I will now go back to my bottle Don Julio.

If someone would tell me how to put in a smiley face, you could tell that I am not so delusional.

capt. mike - 6-11-2010 at 06:07 AM

"The closest strip is Frailes -- which was resurfaced last year and is open."

Paul - any intel on what is planned now for Frailes? i.e. - keep strip up, public access? hotel reopening? selling lots adjacent as i have seen before? Is Fran's family still involved?

Paulclark - 6-11-2010 at 06:38 AM

The Seipman family have taken over the project and are maintaining it, but not selling any lots. I understand that their long time goal is to develop the property into a high end destination -- but I get the feeling that it will not happen soon. The Seipman's are the builders/owners of the hotel and it remains closed. Wayne Seipman, the patriach died a few years ago and one of his sons gained control of the whole property. There are a few lots available on resale.

capt. mike - 6-11-2010 at 07:05 AM

thx - that's what is reported on BBP but not from someone close like you.
do you have contact info on the Seipman heirs?
just for the purpose of interviewing him regards his longer term plans for pista access. have to weigh the risk of buying/building vs landing rights continuity. many a strip over the last 30 years i have actively flown the east cape has succombed to the death rattle of a D9 or D10 rolling thru ripping along scarifying for new pads. gulp!

Paulclark - 6-11-2010 at 04:34 PM

U2U Mike

Maybe Better Than California City

Bajahowodd - 6-11-2010 at 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
How about lot in Ridgecrest, California? It's only about 950 miles from the East Cape and 100 miles from the Pacific Ocean.
Clear title. The sand is very similar to the East Cape. The main highlight is China Lakes Navel Air Station.

Will trade for Gold, Diamonds or possibly a Ferrari.

I will now go back to my bottle Don Julio.

If someone would tell me how to put in a smiley face, you could tell that I am not so delusional.

Just be patient, my namesake. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Howard - 6-11-2010 at 07:08 PM

Sr. Howard

I might have the last laugh when the big one hits and I have beach front lots.

Patient for the sale or how to put those damn smiley faces on this page?

Bubba

Gaucho - 6-11-2010 at 10:33 PM

Hi Knowsam,

What is your budget? It sounds like you like to fish. Do you want to launch a boat or just fish from the shore? You have LOTS of options. Just depends on what you want to spend...

Quote:
Originally posted by knowsam
So about me:
I'm thinking about buying a lot on the east cape road in the next 12-18 months to camp/trailer on while I build, or have built an open palapa. I’m not looking for anything too developed , I really like the more rugged – washboard road “protected” lots. Ideally I’d be looking for either an empty lot or open palapa style place, close to the beach (but not on it), with a view of crashing waves. My preferred area was north of San Jose to Cabo Pulmo.

So everything here tells me to stay away from realtors etc. so what is the process? Everything I'm seeing seems to be part of a development, are these like canadian developments, in that they'll have approved designs etc or will I have the ability to build a palapa that I just do my fishing from?

capt. mike - 6-12-2010 at 05:23 AM

thx Paul - got it and sent it cc to you.
looking forward to a trip south soon.
have to decide when - hot summer or perfect fall.

Paulclark - 6-12-2010 at 06:34 AM

October 15 to November 30 --- perfect time here!!!:bounce:

knowsam - 6-21-2010 at 09:40 AM

Thanks for all the responses, sounds like its a bit of a mine field if you want to avoid being the gringo getting screwed (largely by other gringos). Gaucho, my budget is 40-100K for a lot depending on septic/water etc and more if its a completed place, though I'm looking to build something very specific so not too interested in completed places.

Yes you're right, I'm big into fishing, would want to be close to both shore fishing and small boat in shore fishing (say panga sized boats).

knowsam - 6-21-2010 at 11:50 AM

Also, it looks like East Cape Homes at www.eastcapehomes.com, has a fair bit of land similar to what I'm looking for, anyone had any things to share about them as a corp?

Thx.

capt. mike - 6-21-2010 at 11:58 AM

i have had great friendly and informative correspondence from him, Paul Clark.
i look forward to meeting him and the Los Frailes mgmt this fall.
time is right to buy lot - market is probably at bottom now.
with some luck and a couple of things working on stateside i might be able to push the plug up a bit sooner so it can get pulled!
i won't build unless i can be there full time since it is my profession.
Bob Frambes will be my general consultant!

BajaPam - 6-21-2010 at 12:32 PM

Hola Knowsam:
People who advise you to avoid realtors are probably trying to save you some money by avoiding sales commissions which generally run between 6% and 10% here. However, this will also significantly limit your selection.
We have a Multiple Listing Service here in Los Barriles, so any participating agent can show you properties from all the office.
To see the properties that are listed in the area you can visit our website (www.homesandlandofbaja.com) and click the "All Listings" button.
I hope you find what you're looking for!

capt. mike - 6-21-2010 at 02:55 PM

Pam, got David's email hope to meet you this fall.

knowsam - 8-15-2010 at 09:24 PM

Thanks for all your help guys, you do know yor sh!t, and that helps,cause there seems to be a lot to be weary about down there.

Gaucho, I do like fishing, happy to fish from the shore and doubt I'd go much bigger than a panga. My price range is between 60-120K depending on what's there and what needs to be done. Is an ocean view on the East Cape feasable on that budget? Not looking to be ocean front, but I do want a clear view to the water and to see/hear the surf.

snowcat5 - 8-16-2010 at 07:14 AM

knowsam, I have a nice ocean view lot for sale in Zacatitas. It is fenced, mostly level, and about a ten minute walk from the beach. Good dirt road to the lot. There are a few year-round neighbors and several vacation homes in the area. About a half hour drive to La Playita and a few more minutes to San Jose. Great fishing and surfing and many folks use their ATVs for getting around. U2U me for more info- we have a price of $52,000 on it- we own it free and clear and have done the Fideo paper work. Our friend Chris Scarburough is the sales guy and he lives right near by. This is a real nice lot with great views, backs up to an arroyo and would be easy to camp and build on. It is almost a half acre in size and the entire community is off the grid and solar and wind power is the norm. I can even recommend a great local builder to help. Almost everyone here started with a palapa and went on from there. Good luck!

east cape

wsdunc - 8-16-2010 at 12:08 PM

Check your U2