BajaNomad

Building costs in Los Barriles

Pages:  1  

heike - 6-10-2010 at 06:33 PM

Hello
I was wondering if someone could give me a ballpark price per sq. Foot for building a small casita in Los Barriles.. Thanks

Marinero - 6-10-2010 at 09:28 PM

Prices vary greatly. Some builders are more hungry than others. The only real way to determine cost of construction is to interview the builders you might want to use, disclose size, prefered methods of construction and the like. They can they begin to give you some ball-park figure. Having said that, construction prices are down some both because of a lack of work for the builders and the increase in the strength of the doller against the peso.

classicbajabronco - 6-11-2010 at 04:45 AM

I am currently building one on the eastcape, and the cost is about $45/ft2.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

capt. mike - 6-11-2010 at 06:17 AM

yes, can you give a macro summary of what's included?
civil site prep and util. services/runs/septic etc if any?
fixtures, flooring and type, millwork cabs and built ins, appliances if any, OH gar door(s), interior trim carp, counters and spash, HVAC, ext appurtances i.e. walks patio etc, off grid products like PV etc?

or clarify if it is a basic shell unfinished price.
thx!
how close is your project to the Castille subdivision by Paul Clark - another thread here?

Bob and Susan - 6-11-2010 at 06:45 AM

$45 a foot is pretty cheap

roof= concrete - tile - fake tile

windows = homemade - store bought - special order
big or small

floors = tile - painted - concrete

electrical = mexican - american standards

kitchen cabinets = home made - store bought - special order

plumbing fixtures = cheap - expensive

pipes = pex - plastic - metal

forced air or window units or nothing

Osprey - 6-11-2010 at 10:00 AM

Bob and Susan, more on that: I don't think it's just me on this. This peninsula is very slow to change prices on things like cement and rebar --- that is, they (and a whole lot of other things) went sky high before the economic dump, the lack of tourists/buyers began. Now, with little going on, no buyers, (AFTER SCITTY EIGHT MONTHS OF SELLING NOTHING) one might think the prices would come down. That's not happening down here -- it's like these things only go one way = up and up, then sit on the shelf for years at that same price rather than adjust to what's happening now. Maybe new house builders down here would be better served to buy goods in San Diego, have them transhiped.

heike - 6-11-2010 at 03:42 PM

I am really asking for a friend. I have had 2 projects built over the past 5 years. Both I paid about 74.00 a sq ft. That included everything, worker costs, arct. plans, Septic, water, electric
, nice tile, windows... Etc. At that time I also asked what others were spending, I got a range of 45.00 up to 90.00.... Just checking in to see what a good price would be now....

Gaucho - 6-11-2010 at 10:39 PM

Does your friend want a block home or tridipanel?

Quote:
Originally posted by heike
I am really asking for a friend. I have had 2 projects built over the past 5 years. Both I paid about 74.00 a sq ft. That included everything, worker costs, arct. plans, Septic, water, electric
, nice tile, windows... Etc. At that time I also asked what others were spending, I got a range of 45.00 up to 90.00.... Just checking in to see what a good price would be now....

heike - 6-12-2010 at 04:41 AM

A small block casita 700-1000 sq ft. Depending on the price

pepino - 6-12-2010 at 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Bob and Susan, more on that: I don't think it's just me on this. This peninsula is very slow to change prices on things like cement and rebar --- that is, they (and a whole lot of other things) went sky high before the economic dump, the lack of tourists/buyers began. Now, with little going on, no buyers, (AFTER SCITTY EIGHT MONTHS OF SELLING NOTHING) one might think the prices would come down. That's not happening down here -- it's like these things only go one way = up and up, then sit on the shelf for years at that same price rather than adjust to what's happening now. Maybe new house builders down here would be better served to buy goods in San Diego, have them transhiped.

The typical Mexican Business Model...as volume goes down raise prices to make up lost revenue....for some reason they do not see higher prices lose more business. :lol::lol:

classicbajabronco - 6-12-2010 at 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pepino
Quote:

The typical Mexican Business Model...as volume goes down raise prices to make up lost revenue....for some reason they do not see higher prices lose more business. :lol::lol:

I think it's more as the value as the peso goes down they raise the price to equal out. Typical inflation...

What they see is a Gringo with no clue, and a fat wallet, who says SI, SI, SI...Then they take you to the bank.
To see for yourself, go into a store with unmarked prices and buy an item, then a day o so later have a local go in and buy the same thing. 90% of the time they will get the regular price and you'll get a inflated gringo price.

For that reason, I have my accountant order all my supplies and pay via wire transfer.

People are hungry and there are some very good deals to be had on labor. Don't settle on the first price by saying SI.

That being said. I just had 1000 blocks delivered and they were 1.4 pesos cheaper than when I bought them 5 years ago. Cement has gone up about 30 pesos in that time.

"SI" gets lots of people in trouble. make sure you understand in total before saying the Word. or get a translator

Our 666ft2 casita will run under $20k completed.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by classicbajabronco]

Bob and Susan - 6-12-2010 at 07:37 AM

"Our 666ft2 casita will run under $20k completed"

WOW incrediable!!!

be careful...
not all block is the same
not all sand is the same
not all gravel is the same
not all rebar is the same
not all welds are the same
all cement is the same
:light::light::light::light:

Bob and Susan - 6-12-2010 at 10:03 AM

i'm just a simple retired guy...not a contractor like you...

but...

here the block IS NOT all the same
cheap block has less concrete in it
don't EVER think it doesn't

sand has salt in it sometimes
you NEED to get more expensive sand to be "clean"
unless you "taste it" don't assume you're getting
good sand

all gravel down here is different
some has volcanic rovk in it
it's very weak
water decomposes it easily

there's different sizes rebar
the assume you are getting the best all the time is a mistake
sometimes it's even "rusted"

there is "cheap" construction with less "castillos"
here the block is just a filler
the block isn't strong enough to support the roof
the "castillos" do that.

are they "sealing" the block below the surface?
maybe...probably not...problems later

is the copper encased?
concrete and copper don't mix
leaks later...

it's NOT ALL the same...

but i'm not a contractor

i don't belive you can build a "complete" 666sq foot house for $20k and make money
sorry...that would be materials only...maybe

capt. mike - 6-12-2010 at 10:05 AM

From the perspective of a 30 year plus tenured developer and state licensed GC, i watched the 3 plus years as Bob built his off grid resort Playa Frambes, incl many trips to observe/inspect his WIP (work in progress).

he did a REMARKABLE job considering he is not a builder by trade - and his selection of GC and Arch./eng. was superlative - he did not scrimp on costs. and got excellent quality at fair $$s as far as i have been privy. He is an experienced source now to expound on the vagaries of building in Baja.

i would have to agree with him that you have to watch what is supplied. some guys make their own non fired 8x8x16 CMU blocks in Mulege using sea water - they crush like bugs - i have used them for steps cause they're cheap and they disentegrate as soon as they get sun.

sand can be variously river, beach or screened/washed - it makes a diff to me depending on if using as base, in conc, mortar or for top coat stucco finish.

some rebar is old and already rusted. i would prefer new and even oiled if i could get it.

you might need welding if you are doing embeds for steel headers or rails for large OH doors, or other plates and hangars like for poured decks and pans. i would want a certified welder on any structural work i was doing.

bagged cement is going to say what it is re: lime ratios etc. Some for mortar will be ID'd as such vs reg portland type II for eg.
if they use the mortar mix on flat work it will spall, crack, shrink and fail prematurely. A crew will just use whatever is dropped if they are not supervised. To them it is all the same.

and pre-mix when avail is not what i would want, ever.

that being said - i look forward to visiting at Costille soon and when down i hope to meet and see what you might do for a prospective buyer/builder.

the last item on my bucket list is to build something in baja and hang around a lot....:biggrin::biggrin: once i get there i don't really need anything else.:cool:

Terry28 - 6-12-2010 at 10:41 AM

I almost never jump in on these things but I have to this time. I have owned homes in both north and south Baja and built many in the states. I don't know Bob and Susan but I have seen their place...Bob is correct, without a doubt.
Not all things are as they appear. I know of an extremely nice home being built just outside of Rosarito by a VERY well know contractor who is also the archetict ( sp?) turn key price is $65 sq. ft. and it is a BARGAIN at that price, top of the line materials including granite counter tops, S.S. appliances, perfect tile etc. due to lack of work the price is low... I don't believe you can get 660sq ft for $20K..sorry just my opinion....ya get what ya pay for...and in some cases not even that...no offense intended...just my 2 pesos worth...

capt. mike - 6-12-2010 at 11:29 AM

"with stained concrete counters and foor"

one of my fav details.
yes i look forward to it.

but can you add a SF to your bldg so it won't have the devil's influence??:lol::lol:

wessongroup - 6-12-2010 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Bob,

Never said I was a contractor. I am a construction engineer/manager/property manager. When I do my job right I lower the cost and improve the quality of the structure. I am not trying to make money on the project, I get paid by the hour.

You have some good points, I am sure you have built a fine home.

You are talking about the same thing as me on many of the items.

Including Blocks
rebar( drag surface rusted rebar down a gravel road on a chain and it will be cleaner than the store sells) all rebar is the same if you get a #3 bar in say 30ksi which is the norm here, (sure its not the same thing as a 50kpi bar, or a epoxy coated bar)

Don't get sand from near the beach..get it from up an arroyo.

You just happen to be insinuating that I am building an a casita using the cheapest materials in can get my hands on and that is absolutely not the case. All materials have came from Construrama. The materials cost to date for the structure Is $67101.53 pesos or or $5243usd. That includes all block, rebar, #9 wire, sand, Gravel ($5500 pesos/14m2) tie wire, Cement, Septic tubing, water lines, elect boxes...it does not include windows, doors, paint, kitchen cabinets or appliances. however I have $6500usd left to cover these items before I get to $20k. The door/window quote is $1200usd., they are made to fit aluminum.

The total costs of labor is $110,000pesos or $8593.75 usd.
If you think the materials are $20k for a 666ft2 casita, you must be that gringo without a clue with the fat wallet I was talking about who gets screwed.

I am married into a local family and have a lot of family and connections...I am a true Local!!! I live here full time have a mexican son. Having connections such as these helps tremendously, I am 80% fluent in spanish as well, with my immediate family being 100% billingual. All this adds up to savings the "normal gringos here" can't touch. I am sure there are many others here with similar connections, who can attest.

When I buy property I get the local price, I know what the average gringos pay.... Thank god I am not an average gringo.:o

capt.

I can't say I have ever seen a fired CMU. They are constructed in a press, and then hydrated until the cement cures, unlike a red clay brick which is fired.

capt. u2u me if you come this way.

No offense meant to anyone...but you can build a quality casita for under $20k and I have all the facturas to prove it.

If you want granite counter tops, high end fixtures...etc. this will cost you. What we are building is a nice casita for our caretakers, with stained concrete counters and foor. Min. tile work..ect.

[Edited on 6-12-2010 by fishabductor]

Your approach however, would create Real Estate market problems ... I believe one can do what your talking about, IF they know what they are doing down here as a builder.. and the other "party" is not looking for Better Homes and Garden place to live !!!

Bob and Susan - 6-12-2010 at 12:32 PM

lets do some labor math....

2 helpers $3500 pesos a week incl social security and medical
1 plumber electrical gut $4500 pesos a week
1 maestro $4500 pesos a week

budget for 4 workers = $110,000 pesos

total for 4 workers per week $16,000 pesos

110,000 / 16,000 = 6 3/4 weeks for construction completetion

not possible or you're doing the work yourself for no pay
and not paying ss

walls and a roof is not a completed project for "regular" retirees

people expect tile floors and counters pressurized water, electricty and plugs , fans tv and internet hook ups, showers sinks toilets kitchen cabinets "bug free doors" windows with glass
(double pane is normal in the usa) closets septic
permits architect fees etc

still a regular house ...cant be done for 20k

bajabass - 6-12-2010 at 12:46 PM

fishabductor, are you up to projects in La Paz? I will be building in that area within a year or so. I am very interested in a sound, solid, basic initial structure. 3br, 2ba, 1500 sq ft. We can fish evenings!

Bob and Susan - 6-12-2010 at 12:47 PM

i'm sorry fishabductor
remember i'm not a construction guy

but

i've seen alot of construction here...
and...
americans that think they have a "better mousetrap"

until we see finished projects...
show me i'm wrong and i'll admit it

i'm wrong lots of times

monoloco - 6-12-2010 at 09:19 PM

I have had very good luck with just paying my contractor and crew by the week. I am there and constantly check their quality and make sure that everything is to my specifications. I pay for all the materials and can shop for the best prices and quality. I have done the same with plumbing and electrical. I made it clear to my contractors that if I wasn't satisfied with the speed and quality of their work that I would get another crew. So far things have worked out well and I have been able to keep construction costs reasonable and quality high. I looked at the houses my contractor had built and talked to several of his former clients before hiring. The key though is just being there for all phases of construction.

Bob and Susan - 6-13-2010 at 05:27 AM

i think monoloco is correct

but what is your cost per foot estimate
just "ball park" ...finished product

capt. mike - 6-13-2010 at 06:06 AM

"I get a contract, and pay by the project. I don't much care what the guys make on the ground on a hourly basis. I pay for the project. I don't pay their SS, that's the contractors job, they are his employees."

very interesting precep - similar to acting as an owner's agent/rep or as CM at risk here in AZ - a role i have specialized in for years for both resid and comm'l projects.
just curious - as you are not acting as GC or paying the workers and covering their FICA as employees - what is it that validates your ability or legalities re "working" in Mexico as you stated earlier in this discussion?

under what criteria are you able to "work" and charge for your services, to whom are you accountable besides the client as far as gov't compliance. do you pay income taxes etc? i am not critiquing here - i think it sounds great - just wanting to hear how it is managed as far as bureaucracy goes.

KAT54 - 6-13-2010 at 12:26 PM

If you are not a contractor
Not a worker
Not a arcitect
Not a lawyer
Why would anyone need your services?

KAT54 - 6-13-2010 at 02:31 PM

Are you saying gringos can not trust a mexican contractor?
I want to build a small house.
Do I really need a project manager for this small house?
If you charge by the hour, how much per hour?
How many hours do you charge per week?
How much have your clients saved by using your services?
Do you have pictures of your projects?
Could you post them here?
Do you have a website?
Do you have referances?
Can I contact old clients for referances?
Can you provide me with a cost estimate for a typical 1600 sq foot house?

KAT54 - 6-13-2010 at 06:29 PM

If you charge by the hour, how much per hour?
How much have your clients saved by using your services?
Do you have pictures of your projects?
Could you post them here?
Do you have a website?
Do you have referances?
Can I contact old clients for referances?
Are there any millionairs here that need this service?

longlegsinlapaz - 6-13-2010 at 07:49 PM

fishabductor, ignore the naysayers & skeptics. I understand & agree totally with what you're saying. I've built 3 casas in the La Paz area over the past 11 years. By far the most cost effective one was #2 where I was my own general contractor, negotiated my own pricing for materials & got them locked in for the duration by committing to total amounts up front. Granted, my finished product was nowhere in the $20 - 45 sq ft range & it wasn't as small or "rustic" as the 666 sq ft casita you've mentioned. I opted for tile, custom wood cabinets, 2 interior fireplaces, 17,000 liter cistern, 2-car garage, perimeter wall, pool, etc, etc, etc. I also designed each of the casas I've built myself, right down to the electrical & saved a bundle in Arq. fees.

I totally agree with your philosophy of negotiating your own materials prices & being on-site every day to stop things before they reach the point of no return; it also helps keep materials from "getting feet" & walking off the site! It IS possible to build a well-constructed, structurally sound basic structure for much lower costs without having an Arq. involved until final design submittal. The person doing the negotiating & overseeing just needs to have a working knowledge of various tools like a level, plumb bob, square, tape measure & know how to read a blueprint.

Of course materials & labor costs can vary greatly, depending on the site location, higher materials & lower labor costs for more remote areas.

Oh yeah, that person also needs to be tenacious as hell to ensure their instructions are followed, as well as the ability to know & act when they aren't! :bounce:

Terry28 - 6-14-2010 at 10:23 AM

Well, we all live and learn......the older I get the more I realize how little I really know...thanks for all the comments...and good luck

bajabass - 6-14-2010 at 11:15 AM

I have a feeling I will be in need of your services fishabductor. I have built cars, motorcycles and boats for 40 years, but never a house. Let alone a house in Baja. It looks like it will be the first of the year before I am able to follow my wife down, she's leaving for La Paz next week. I look forward to meeting you, and seeing a few of your projects! I will need all the help and ideas I can put together.

wsdunc - 6-14-2010 at 04:25 PM

I am also interested in following the casita barata saga, as well as any follow on things (Bajabass' house?). I have plans to build in East Cape in the next couple of years, and have one of two dilemas. One is the possibilty of trying to have a house built while I'm not around to oversee. I do understand that this is fraught with peril. The other scenario involves me being there to oversee, bu the amount of things that I do not know about home construction make this fraught with peril. I have had the pleasure of using Longlegsinlapaz as a sounding board, and she has been very helpful. But I am interested in watching as things go forward, I might well be another needing Fishabductor's services.

capt. mike - 6-14-2010 at 06:01 PM

gnu kid - you missed his point - he has a portfolio now and is connected to mexican culture by family and lengua skills.
besides that there is nothing wrong with wanting a good well built home whether in USA baja or on gilligans isla...
your post reads like you are soliciting to do 3rd party building yourself.
what are your qualifications?

building is not rocket science but i know many who think they are scientists but couldn't carry a simply tool belt themselves.

when i eventually build in baja and i will in a few years, i'll be there 24/7 but i will hire my own personal PM to assist me in getting the message to my crews as i bird dog them daily. Bob Frambes is my living example of how to get it done.

Bob and Susan - 6-14-2010 at 06:29 PM

we just got lucky...and susan was there full time

my builder had many finished projects to show me and people that had used him were happy

having someone oversee the construction is a good idea if you have the extra cash to burn...

otherwise that cash could be used later if necessary

if fishabductor has a track record and
could show referances maybe he's a tool you could use
but
if he "goofs" you still have to pay

i never realized the la ribera area was growing right now
is there all that construction going on in this economy?

punta chivato is dead
so is the bay

maybe next year...go dodgers:spingrin:

monoloco - 6-14-2010 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i think monoloco is correct

but what is your cost per foot estimate
just "ball park" ...finished product
I won't know what the cost per foot is until the job is finished. I am paying 3500 a week for maestros, 2500 for the ayudantes, and 4000 to the contractor to run the job, and supply the equipment, and I pay seguridad on the crew but not the contractor. So far I am at about $30 a sq ft. for the obra negra and plastering. The house is on a fairly steep hillside so included a lot of foundation work, we also have high ceilings and many architectural details.

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by monoloco]

gnukid - 6-14-2010 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
gnu kid - you missed his point - he has a portfolio now and is connected to mexican culture by family and lengua skills.
besides that there is nothing wrong with wanting a good well built home whether in USA baja or on gilligans isla...
your post reads like you are soliciting to do 3rd party building yourself.
what are your qualifications?

building is not rocket science but i know many who think they are scientists but couldn't carry a simply tool belt themselves.

when i eventually build in baja and i will in a few years, i'll be there 24/7 but i will hire my own personal PM to assist me in getting the message to my crews as i bird dog them daily. Bob Frambes is my living example of how to get it done.

I am sure you are right, that I missed something. He sounds like a great addition to a team as a construction manager and a big help, just that it's so different in baja. It's hard to garner respect as an outside manager if you don't work hands on, in fact the manager can be used by the team to increase costs, by telling/asking him for things. Basically when the team finds out you pay an external manager and have the money to do so, that is a clue you can afford to pay more-and you will.

Also, I have seen many bad experiences in this situation, where the manager adds costs, and things go crazy politically. Regardless there has to be standoffs in the process, does this manager have the ability to stand up to crazy nonsense? He has no ethical or logical reason to deny requests, and the more he knows-that the team knows he knows can be used against him by asking him for things that make sense-in the USA but do not make sense in Baja.

As a Baja construction manager there are few strategies or tricks perhaps but being a manager with USA experience is not implicitly one of them. The materials and process is profoundly different.

I am sure that if anyone could afford to have a great manager and pay the team also etc... it will help, but my point is that costs will escalate dramatically unless perhaps fishabductor knows how to play the game.

The topic was about saving money or building good quality at $40/sq foot in Los Barilles which is notoriously one of the highest building cost regions.

I'll suggest a few of the tricks instead:

1) Do not tell the team who they work for, suggest they work for Grandma who isn't here now-she is a smart matriarch and a difficult person. You are Grandma's nephew-she is coming to live in the house. Then when they come up with their money games you can always say I need to ask Grandma, it will take a few days. The answer is always no. Grandma is inflexible.

2) Have a woman be the manager, she can play like she isn't an expert, even though she is, and she can complain about problems from a perspective that is hard to argue with for crazy contractors. The woman can explain that she isn't authorized to allow for increases, not until a later date at least...

3) You need to be able to communicate with the team without opening the door to money problems, sometimes a younger person or a woman is better at that than a sophisticated outside male party. Another trick would be to dress down, way down, to appear to be as poor and traditional as possible. No fancy cars.

4) Only pay team/workers at the end of specified periods, meet each separately and talk to each one about the details of their family and work, give separate goals and incentives as needed. Do not give loans or advances. Never respond to emergency demands for money for supplies etc... Otherwise you create a scenario where you find yourself responding to crazy demands.

5) Tell workers/team that if they do not show up or fail to work they won't be able to continue-they will have to be replaced. Stick to it if possible unless you really do not care or have no choice.

6) As part of the agreement with the contractor, ask each worker for their voter card, copy it, find out where they live and who their family is-go to their house and confirm. Have the worker sign an agreement that they work for the contractor, if that is the case. This can help avoid crazy lawsuits.

7) A manager can be another worker who is apparently working on something else, gardens etc... on site and does not speak to the workers nor notify them that he is managing, then he can find out what is really going on and tell the owners without being targeted by workers.

longlegsinlapaz - 6-14-2010 at 08:50 PM

wsdunc.....Thank you for your kind words. As I've said many times, I force-feed massive amounts of factual information to the "new kids" on the block, and I do it because I wish there had been someone who was as willing to share their actual experiences & knowledge learned in the trenches with me when I was the "new kid", as I've shared with you & others.
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
I respect Fishabductor enthusiasm and welcome his effort and style, though I have some commentary, it would seem that fishabductor knows about US building standards, that experience has little no bearing on building in Baja. And while I am sure that his US management experience is quite good it translates in no way to getting a local team/resources to work for your goals. That is unless he can joke and cajole in dialects of the workers/materials salespeople. Or perhaps if he was New Jersey Mafia construction manager it might help.

gnukid, respectfully, IMO, it doesn't matter where someone acquires a knowledge of good solid construction techniques, standards & practices....I believe that the English words level, straight, square, fair price, correct, safe, win/win situation, good value for the money, among many other translate into many different languages.

Any fluent Nomad Spanish speakers who know me personally have my permission to rate my mangled Spanglish....second language skills do not come as easily for everyone!:( I do joke with & cajole the workers, but 90% of them look to the 10% who laughed for a translation from my Espanol to Espanol they understand! IMO, it's more important that I TRY to converse in their language, I treat them respectfully as individuals, and when I ask something of them they aren't familiar with, I'm out in the hot sun showing them how I want something done. I've had workers, and an English fluent jefe, tell me something I wanted couldn't be done; I explained to the jefe exactly how it COULD be done & the workers still stood there shaking their heads muttering "Es no posible!" I kicked into my fractured Spanglish & mime & showed the workers that it was possible & exactly how. Smiles & nods eventually appeared all around as comprehension dawned! I got what I'd originally asked for and the workers learned something new to be used another day!
Quote:
In Los Barriles there are excellent teams and managers who build high quality homes and there are amazingly skilled local gringos too, as well as DIY types. You can't demand $200/sq foot quality and service and try to pay $40/sq foot. So one simply must decide what you want. You gotta pay to play. The teams need work, so now is a good time to build, or better time to buy.

Yes, there are, and there are also contractors who will promise you $200/sq ft quality & service for $40/sq ft. They'll do it with a straight face & they'll even put it in writing in a contract....but what do you think the chances are that you'll actually get it....never mind, that was a rhetorical question.
Quote:
In the end, it's important to realize that you don't need so much high quality in door living space in Los Barriles like the US, you don't need US quality construction, it serves little benefit unless your goal is to sit inside and watch satelite TV with AC on, which is a really sad way to live in Baja. A simple kitchen and a few palapas can serve a family vacation well.

gnukid, I'll be the first to agree with you that the lifestyle here is much more outdoor oriented, it's totally unlike the lifestyle & the housing amenities I had in the Pacific Northwest. My biggest concessions were no dining room & a LOT more windows!;) You DO need good quality, well-engineered structural integrity here....it's especially appreciated during hurricane season. I don't know about you, but I'm not about to attempt to sit out a hurricane in a palapa!

This is my permanent full-time home, I LIVE here, I'm not on vacation!

And FWIW, I don't use A/C....I built with foam blocks & in 3 summers, my interior temperature has yet to exceed 82 degrees & I'm comfortable using a fan to move the air.

I could survive in a pallet board casita with dirt floors & a tin roof, but I choose not to & thankfully I've been able to live in comfort....not luxury & not extravagantly, by any means!

Our two cultures have different standards & expectations. That's not to say one is right/wrong/better....merely different.
Quote:
The real fun of Baja is getting in there, participating and doing it yourself, spending time on site to understand the sun and wind and flow, accepting that the level and straight is not always best or significant and learn to live in a simpler manner that takes advantage of the resources, climate and view.

I've done all of that, including standing on top of a 6' step ladder on my uncleared land to determine the best elevation for optimum views! I have personally designed each of my casas uniquely & specifically for the land they sit on.

gnukid, you need to respect & accept the fact that there are as many different reasons that people choose Baja to live out their days as there are personal & unique lifestyle choices that we choose & as there are people! Each of us arrive here with different backgrounds & skill-sets, different mindsets of how to best accomplish our individual personal goals.

As much as I appreciate the beauty of a palapa, IMO, they attract scorpions & other bugs as well as birds & they shed dirt & palm debris daily. I want window screens because I have a bad reaction to mosquito bites & I go into anaphylactic shock from wasp stings. I want level, because the older I get the easier it is to walk on a level playing field! I don't want to have to put a Pacifico cap under one or more legs of all my furniture to keep it from rocking!

In a nutshell, your personal lifestyle choices are not my personal lifestyle choices.

Quote:
I bet that Fishabductor will make many costly mistakes due to lack of understanding and experience of local work style, legal and otherwise, likely devastating mistakes, dealing with every detail, misunderstanding workers, misunderstanding types of sand or water supply or temperature etc... everything will go wrong because that's what's happens to outsiders, he'll be far more expensive in the end, and achieve a lower 'quality' than someone who has more Mexican experience with the local construction style, strong La Paz relationships and contact list and a sense of local humor.

I sincerely doubt that he will....he appears to have the universal basic skills under his belt, he's married into a large extended Mexican family, speaks the language, knows the difference between beach sand & arroyo sand, knows not to use saltwater to mix cement, it sounds like he understands how to communicate respectfully & get consistent quality from his workers, knows how to negotiate for fair materials pricing, it appears that he knows & respects local laws & practices.

I, for one, feel he offers a valuable service to those with either no local construction knowledge, or no construction knowledge at all. My personal experience tells me how much I've been able to save by negotiating my own materials prices. He brings years of experience to the table for cost-savings in this industry.

Quote:
On the other hand someone with experience like Longlegs or Vandenberg would be great assistants.

Thanks for your vote of confidence....but I gotta tell ya that prior to my moving here 11 years ago, I had nada construction experience or knowledge! I gained what I now know through personal need, tenacity & self-preservation of my sanity & finances. I learned it in the trenches of La Paz! And I'm far from done learning!! I'll let Vandeberg speak for himself.

Quote:
There is way too much to learn, whether it be about materials or team issues for the abductor to succeed as construction manager so soon, unless you want an expensive stucco home or a factory mansion.

I guess if you have a ton of money (and I know some do) it's always possible to get what you want and have many managers, architects and engineers on staff, but if you want to save money, you need a team manager who is hard working local laborer/manager, who can carry rocks, shovel sand, mix cement, cook, clean etc...

Soon?????:o Did he just fall off the back of a recently-arrived turnip truck? I'm not going back & rereading this entire thread to verify my suspicions, but I got the distinct impression he's been doing this here for a while.

From MY knothole, it appears that fishabductor qualifies & would be a value-added asset for many new & raw recruits.

gnukid - 6-14-2010 at 09:09 PM

Longlegs, you're right on all counts. Apologies to Fishabductor for being too harsh. I guess I have seen far too many people misled by what sounds like a similar scenario, but I do not know fishabductor and now having read more, his background is certainly deep and with roots and that is what helps.

I guess you know I built my home too, it's got walls so thick that the temperature inside is always cool. The walls are straight. I suffered, I had many mishaps with workers-probably went through more tan a hundred who would just failed to show up, many promises from gringo contractors and manager types who ripped me off or tried real hard and just about every conceivable story you could ever imagine. So, I am gun shy, I know you and others and would trust you immensely in any regard, I just haven't met fishabductor yet.

Here's an anecdote, I was overwhelmed on my home project, I couldn't leave the job site ever or risk chaos, so I hired a smart construction manager for about $3000 pesos a week, all was going well sort of, except he never would really stand up to contractors, he had no incentive.

Finally, after a few weeks of good progress, I took him out to dinner and drinks with our girlfriends, I bought him a shot of tequila and another and another. He went crazy and confided, that I saved his life, he was actually a MS-13 gang member who had committed murder in San Diego and his name wasn't really Mario... well, for some reason the next day I explained I was ill and ran out of money and the job was stopped. I took a break and continued later.

That is one of a hundred crazy stories. But the house is great, I realized in the end, I didn't need a manager, and I was probably a bit too uptight about costs. My costs were below $40 sq foot.

gnukid - 6-14-2010 at 10:51 PM

Fishabductor, Good, there is nothing wrong with a restarts to set things right Baja. It took me only 5 tries with 5 separate teams to get my floor done level and the tile straight.

One thing I have learned, when an albanil says 'no te preocupes' - that's bad.

Can't wait to meet, Have fun!

heike - 6-15-2010 at 05:31 AM

Wow, when I started this thread I had no idea it would be so interesting, I have learned a lot (mostly how quick people are to judge eachother) but also good info about builiding. We have basically finished our projects and feel good about them. I know that we didnt get the best deal in town but that is ok. I totally understand how fishabductor could be very helpful when building and if my brother does decided to build I will give him your name!
But.... I really never got my question answered....... is there a sq. ft. ballpark number for building a casita in LB? (simple block sturcture )
Also I would like to say that Baja isnt the only place we get ripped off with building, the US is almost as bad............. or can be..... I think...

heike - 6-15-2010 at 05:43 AM

Ps. I would also like to say we had 2 different builders build the 2 castas on our property, paid the same price for the 2nd one 2 years later and he did a WONDERFUL job. The first one had no idea what finish work was (even on a very small project). So we will keep him for anything else we might add on. It would just be nice if I knew what my brother should "shoot for" as far as a sq. ft. price goes with our builder, seems like times are though and he might be able to get a good deal......

Osprey - 6-15-2010 at 06:59 AM

Somebody needs a hug. Just natural that if you begin any enterprise in Baja California where your plan/attitude comes off as cynical, mean-spirited, biased, distrustful of proud Mexican workers you might have problems. It's clear to me that if you flip all those things around your trust will, at times be misplaced -- in the end, the enterprise, your well being will offset any small hiccups in the job. I always got more than I bargained for at the most pleasurable cost of uncountable Pacificos, a little light platico and the occasional Bloody Mary.

capt. mike - 6-15-2010 at 07:54 AM

GnuKid - those creative suggestions , grandma and all....amount to gamesmanship and most always backfire.
i say be a straight shooter - don't invent fake scenarios.
just get organized and get the job done properly and up front above board biz strategies.
everyone can smell a phony and once you losem credibilty you can never get it back.
beyond that you are ok by me.

monoloco - 6-15-2010 at 08:15 AM

I agree with Fishabducter, if you don't have the time or the knowledge to supervise your project, you should hire someone who does to stay on top of your project. It also helps to have a good set of detailed plans so there is no question of what is to be built. It is possible to get good quality work here, but things can also go wrong very quickly and remediation will be a lengthy, time consuming and expensive process. It is much better to spend a little more money and only do the job once.

[Edited on 6-15-2010 by monoloco]

gnukid - 6-15-2010 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
GnuKid - those creative suggestions , grandma and all....amount to gamesmanship and most always backfire.
i say be a straight shooter - don't invent fake scenarios.
just get organized and get the job done properly and up front above board biz strategies.
everyone can smell a phony and once you losem credibilty you can never get it back.
beyond that you are ok by me.

The Grandma technique works wonders here and shields me from crazy lawsuits which as Jesse mentioned is the game here, but then again I live in the heart of La Paz, good workers and work crews are taken and the rest have left for, well, Barilles and other parts. Those left for smaller projects are capable and even though we are close friends, they pull every trick in the book daily. If you don't live here you wouldn't know. It's part of life here. It's the game. So I also have 4 other sisters I also reference. 4 sisters and a grandma is enough to set fear into any one.

I think I mentioned the story about the crew leader who stole my fine Alder wood and then the crew sued me for not paying them the social security for the work they couldn't complete because the wood was missing... So fun. Grandma took care of it.

bajabass - 6-15-2010 at 04:27 PM

As I read these consruction threads, here and elsewhere, I am learning more and more! As I said, nuts and bolts, no problem. Cement, concrete, compaction,rebar, household electric and plumbing, me no savy! :( I will be picking through everyone and anyones experience. There is a lot to learn, but I will have plenty of time!! :coolup:

gnukid - 6-15-2010 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Wow, when I started this thread I had no idea it would be so interesting, I have learned a lot (mostly how quick people are to judge eachother) but also good info about builiding. We have basically finished our projects and feel good about them. I know that we didnt get the best deal in town but that is ok. I totally understand how fishabductor could be very helpful when building and if my brother does decided to build I will give him your name!
But.... I really never got my question answered....... is there a sq. ft. ballpark number for building a casita in LB? (simple block sturcture )
Also I would like to say that Baja isnt the only place we get ripped off with building, the US is almost as bad............. or can be..... I think...

Hey why not be more specific about your casita, height width and size, how many baths, whether a garage with a metal door and unfinished floor or state your desire finish with types of doors and windows, flooring-cement, tile or marble, exterior and roof and maybe some smart person can help build an idea of the costs, or others can pipe in with recent experience of costs per contractor to make said items complete.

mtgoat666 - 6-15-2010 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
The real fun of Baja is getting in there, participating and doing it yourself, spending time on site to understand the sun and wind and flow, accepting that the level and straight is not always best or significant

Quote:
Fishabductor, Good, there is nothing wrong with a restarts to set things right Baja. It took me only 5 tries with 5 separate teams to get my floor done level and the tile straight.

hey newkid, in your earlier post you said people should not worry about straight and level, but then you whipped your contractor to get it straight and level. which is important??

i hate sitting on the couch and seeing a wall or floor in my house that is not straight and level! well, i could accept it when i lived back east in a 300 year old house (at least then everything was crooked), but i won't accept it in new construction.

ccholder - 6-15-2010 at 05:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Hey why not be more specific about your casita, height width and size, how many baths, whether a garage with a metal door and unfinished floor or state your desire finish with types of doors and windows, flooring-cement, tile or marble, exterior and roof and maybe some smart person can help build an idea of the costs, or others can pipe in with recent experience of costs per contractor to make said items complete.

ccholder - 6-15-2010 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ccholder
Quote:
Quote:

bajafreaks - 6-15-2010 at 06:23 PM

I'm a general contractor in northern nevada and have plans to build on my property in Buena Vista, I think the idea of having some one there (3rd party) to inspect the process is money well spent if you don't plan to be there to supervise. Every potential client I ever talk to, the first thing out of their mouth is, how much per foot ??? To anwser the original post question you really need to know what you want in fairly good detail to get and honest answer, useing this website is a great tool to investigate. Look up old posts the question has been asked before. Maybe take all of the fiqures you can find ($ per ft.) add them all up divide by the total number then you'll have an average cost per foot ...it can be as complicated as you make it out to be. Good luck.

dtbushpilot - 6-15-2010 at 06:38 PM

Perhaps I missed it but one thing that hasn't been covered is how do you determine total square foot? In the States its "living space" where as in MX it is usually everything (garage, covered decks, patio sidewalks etc.) I've heard it quoted every which way, be sure you are on the same page with your contractor, a low sq ft price could be a much higher total price than you are anticipating.....dt

gnukid - 6-15-2010 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
The real fun of Baja is getting in there, participating and doing it yourself, spending time on site to understand the sun and wind and flow, accepting that the level and straight is not always best or significant

Quote:

hey newkid, in your earlier post you said people should not worry about straight and level, but then you whipped your contractor to get it straight and level. which is important??

i hate sitting on the couch and seeing a wall or floor in my house that is not straight and level! well, i could accept it when i lived back east in a 300 year old house (at least then everything was crooked), but i won't accept it in new construction.

I am some sort of freak about about perfectly straight walls and corners, I have my guys always use strings with weights on walls, and use tubes with water to mark level position on the wall and measure down, doors and windows of course must be perfect too, but I have learned over time, that really doesn't matter, a door can be any shape, walls do not need to be so straight etc... A unlevel roof often serves its purpose better.

I have tried to learn to let workers do their job as they see fit and not project too much of my US ideology, in that way, style and uniqueness comes through in construction, except where it's super important such as a floor but even so, I try to let tile workers do their thing even when it's irregular (to a degree).

capt. mike - 6-16-2010 at 07:00 AM

"and use tubes with water to mark level position"......WHAAAAT???!!

why don't you just buy a frickin 8' level?? like everyone else uses?? yes they are readily available in baja....

what the hell is a tubes with water device look like??:lol::lol::lol::lol:

drarroyo - 6-16-2010 at 07:11 AM

folks here on BajaNomad that read and take ANYTHING Paul (gnukid) writes seriously ... are being 'had'. period.
(yes I know the guy)

capt. mike - 6-16-2010 at 07:55 AM

"A water tube is a level...with the added benefit that it can also be used as a transit builders level.(tripod level with a meter rod)"

sorry - i say BS - i use modern tools, they are available including one as basic to proper building as a sight level w/ transite to take elevational shots, which is my standard.
these other contraptions are too Rube Goldbergesque for me. :light::biggrin:

if i end up hiring you, you can borrow mine.
i know... you won't need it.
LOL

Osprey - 6-16-2010 at 08:04 AM

Lucky for those pyramid builders in Egypt that they had Mike's lazer stuff from Home Depot. Otherwise, nothin' but dunes.

gnukid - 6-16-2010 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by drarroyo
folks here on BajaNomad that read and take ANYTHING Paul (gnukid) writes seriously ... are being 'had'. period.
(yes I know the guy)

Thanks for the input and welcome....

Oh yes how kind, thank you. My preference for basic tools that are available is trumped by your personal attacks, welcome to the club.

never

capt. mike - 6-16-2010 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Lucky for those pyramid builders in Egypt that they had Mike's lazer stuff from Home Depot. Otherwise, nothin' but dunes.

said i had a lazer (sic) level. :lol::lol::lol:
i don't.
my subs on the other hand that need them, have them.:coolup:

the pharohs could have learned much from the Mexicans.
but they had Aliens .....only a different kind.

KAT54 - 6-16-2010 at 03:20 PM

It's pretty clear the fishabductor has not buily too much.
No referances
No Pictures
Newkid is correct and has some pretty good ideas.
I wonder who the rich guy with deep pockets hired a guy with the name fishabductor to promote a development
Why would not this guy state his name and business address.
Answer: He can not.
He can not give a price for his services or a quote.
Internet fiction again.
A want to be contractor with no clients.

monoloco - 6-16-2010 at 03:41 PM

It's pretty hard to give prices/quotes without specific info, every job is different. Personally, I think it would be unprofessional if he did give quotes on an open forum, there are just too many variables.

DENNIS - 6-16-2010 at 03:49 PM

Look what the Kat dragged in. Miss Congeniality.

About water levels....they are perfect. I use one about max 50 feet long and I keep it coiled in the shed full of water and plugged at the ends ready to go.
Here's something that occured to me when I was using it one day.....I squirt some blue food coloring into the tube and it made the water a lot easier to see, especially on a sunny day.
My neighbor loaned me his lazer level, a pretty good brand, and I couldn't see its mark in bright sun. I waited till after the sun set to get my marks.

DENNIS - 6-16-2010 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
I have a modern one that has electronic device on one end that beeps when the water level hits the level mark.

Oh, yeah....I have one of those as well. I had some trouble with it at the start of my job and was unable to trust it since then. I canned the brainy end and kept the hose.

msteve1014 - 6-16-2010 at 04:05 PM

Right on. Now we got kat, and the real estate speculators that don't know what a water level is, helping this poor guy build a house.

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Look what the Kat dragged in. Miss Congeniality.

About water levels....they are perfect. I use one about max 50 feet long and I keep it coiled in the shed full of water and plugged at the ends ready to go.

desertcpl - 6-16-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Here is what a water level is, and what it does.

I have a modern one that has electronic device on one end that beeps when the water level hits the level mark.

I also have a $1000 builders transit, that does the same thing. however. the water level is a $25 item that can be thrown in the dirt, stepped on, thrown in the back of a truck, loaned out to workers and if it gets stolen...oh well.

My Transit is in a storage locker for that reason.

http://www.buildeazy.com/fp_waterlevel.html

Remember K.I.S.S.

Keep It Simple Stupid

This applies in MX as well as anywhere else..

If you require a laser level on your project, the price will probably be higher than $45/ft2.

Gnukid...

The guy that posted that said he knows you...seems to be on par with your commentary towards me....what is it...you can dish it out...but not take it? and all I said thanks for the input and welcome...should I have bashed him like you attempted to do to me? :?::?:

Personal Attacks!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-16-2010 by fishabductor]

that is really neat

UnoMas - 6-16-2010 at 09:21 PM

Water levels are one of the most accurate level methods and are very cheap to make. All you need is a milk jug and some clear plastic tubing, water ALWAY'S seeks it's own level. This was the method boat builders used for hundreds of years and is still good today, yeah there are lasers and all that stuff:light::light: but a water level will do you just fine.

Santiago - 6-16-2010 at 09:36 PM

Water Levels: We used water levels all the time to set the corners of large table saws whenever we moved or re-arraigned our shop. A few weeks ago I saw Tom Silva (This Old House) use a water level to set the corners of a window sill. Tom said he always uses a water level whenever it's important to get it dead level. Norm stood there and nodded his head in agreement. Who's gonna argue with these two guys?

gnukid - 6-17-2010 at 12:37 AM

Quote:

Gnukid...

The guy that posted that said he knows you...seems to be on par with your commentary towards me....what is it...you can dish it out...but not take it? and all I said thanks for the input and welcome...should I have bashed him like you attempted to do to me? :?::?:

Personal Attacks!!!!!!!!!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-16-2010 by fishabductor]

I was trying to help, I made a clear point, that when building in Baja, when you have a tight budget and a small project, a manager who isn't doing labor isn't necessarily going to help quality or lower costs. I wasn't bashing you personally, I was critical of the role you suggested.

Electronic communication being what it is makes subtle points often mis-interpreted and that is my fault. I am sorry that happened, but I will persist to try to help others if I feel like it and I hope you do too, it can't hurt to add our experience, politely.

Once more to clarify, in baja we don't often use managers who don't do labor, when that has happened it sends a confusing message to the team unless the manager is someone who clearly can not do construction labor such as a grandmother.

I am sure you are capable of managing, I only related my personal experience which has nothing to do with you personally, except in so far as the role you proposed as an outside hands-off manager expert.

Good luck classicbroncolowtideturtleeaterfishabductorconstructionnolaborguy

[Edited on 6-17-2010 by gnukid]

gnukid - 6-17-2010 at 01:25 AM

Quote:

Bob,

I happen to be a Construction engineer with over 20 years of construction experience. See my classified ad...I am also classic bronco. I am killing the Classic bronco screename as of today...

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 06:50 AM

my guess is KAT54 does not have english as a 1st language.
i am thinking it is hispanic or east European.

never seen or heard of a "water level" in all my years in const and development, since 1978 basically.
if it works for some - fine with me.
different training, different tools, different methods.
is a computer better than a slide rule?
is a printing calculator better than a big chief tablet and no. 2 pencil?

as long as it leads to quality it is ok by me.
but - sinse for me anyway time is $$ i tend to gravitate towards whatever leads to efficiencies.

note to Soulpatch - email me about a superior insulated block shell system.

DENNIS - 6-17-2010 at 07:59 AM

Quote:

never seen or heard of a "water level" in all my years in const and development, since 1978 basically.

Here ya go, Mike.

http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/WaterLevel.htm

Tomorrow's lesson will be Hammer. That's H-A-M-M-E-R....Hammer. :lol::lol:
Jes kiddin', Bro.

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 08:15 AM

the insulated CMU block system i use is not a foam block system. it is superior. not comparable to the systems abductor references above..
not integra, nor rasta, not ice block nor ICF or panel system.
it is unique. and proprietary so must be licensed thru the mfgr and patent holder. Think advantages of thick Adobe with none of the headaches of installation.

KAT54 - 6-17-2010 at 12:09 PM

CaptMike and fishabductor are both builders.
Do they have pictures of houses built in Baja?
NO
Why would anyone trust these guys without referances?
Can you answer that?
At least we know CaptMikes name.
Bit i am just an idoiioottt

KAT54 - 6-17-2010 at 12:36 PM

And I am the idoit?
SENTANCE is the improper spelling of sentence by a high strung person, normally a Republican.
Can you show us pictures of your projects in Baja that you oversaw?
NO?
NONE?

DENNIS - 6-17-2010 at 01:02 PM

KAT54 is a he? I assumed it was a she, Kat, short for Kathy, Kranky or something like that.
So...it's Norm? Sorry Norm. Nice to meet you.

DianaT - 6-17-2010 at 01:04 PM

Kat54 is a mystery, but sometimes seems rather perceptive; not so other times.

[Edited on 6-17-2010 by DianaT]

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 01:20 PM

"by a high strung person, normally a Republican"
whaaaaat????!!!!

THIS IS REALLY getting to be hilariously funny...!! hahahaha.

the shell system i refer to is not for everyone especially for baja but for a discriminating client IN BAJA they could really benefit. it is based on typ CMU modularity and any mex mason and stucco crew can be trained on it in a day. ditto mechanical and elec trades.
the material would have to be shipped yes as no block plants in mexico have the molds or the styro components.
the upcharge in the states ranges only 10% over other CMU or foam stick stucco systems - and there are savings in furring and drywall offsetting because of the system. ditto electro mechanical rough-ins.
one semi truck load drop of material req'd for a casita likely - so whatever trucking would be and import. Like i said not for everyone and certainly not for bargain basement hunters.
how does R-50 on the walls sound? and zero heat transfer or thermonic migration. you basically can be in a cave constant environment, thermal mass coefficients which are killer, so energy demand for heat / cool loads is nada. perfect for a home in hi temp climates that's why so many here in arrid AZ are going to this system - plus NO termite issues. Ever.

i am not a builder in mexico KAT54 so don't call me for a quote please!!
hahaha...

monoloco - 6-17-2010 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
And I am the idoit?
SENTANCE is the improper spelling of sentence by a high strung person, normally a Republican.
Can you show us pictures of your projects in Baja that you oversaw?
NO?
NONE?
Sounds like someone needs to lay off the Sterno.:lol:

DENNIS - 6-17-2010 at 02:26 PM

Quote:
Dennis...

Norm could be short for Norma.

I guess we'll rule out Normal. :lol:

bajabass - 6-17-2010 at 03:41 PM

Na, even most idiots can spell idiot. :lol:

capt. mike - 6-17-2010 at 03:55 PM

MY FAVORITE hand TOOL of all time used in finish work is called a "lesbian rule"
who here knows what it is and what it does.
how it got its name well you can guess.

old timers will know. young guys...maybe not.:lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 6-17-2010 at 07:05 PM

Quote:
Got me on the "lesbian tool", I may be too young at 37.

Mike is just trying to show us what a scholar he is:

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~jrlucas/lesbrule.html

bajabass - 6-17-2010 at 07:28 PM

I got a headache just scrolling through that! Heady stuff. Should probably have the wife decipher it for me!:?:

DENNIS - 6-17-2010 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
I got a headache just scrolling through that! Heady stuff. Should probably have the wife decipher it for me!:?:

Just ask Mike. He's a feelosopher. :lol:

longlegsinlapaz - 6-17-2010 at 07:39 PM

Hint: "rule" as in RULER!!!;) Oh just google "lesbian rule"!:light:

DENNIS - 6-17-2010 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
just google "lesbian rule"!:light:

That's where this came from.

http://users.ox.ac.uk/~jrlucas/lesbrule.html

capt. mike - 6-18-2010 at 07:26 AM

yes, it is a ruler based device with multiple thin slides that lock with which you can align and then same shape to any variable edge or inside corner or free rolling radius.
once you have "patterned" and set you can transfer the rule and make an opposing cut for tile wood or whatever you need to conform to.
it is a finish trim carpenter's tool and tile setters need them too.
i like how the name has evolved.
early versions might have been simple runs of thin lead. a mfgrd one is different.

DENNIS - 6-18-2010 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
early versions might have been simple runs of thin lead. a mfgrd one is different.

I've seen them with the adjustible edge looking like a line of finish nails, each moving independently.
I don't know how I've lived my long life without one. :lol:

Help

capitolkat - 6-18-2010 at 09:52 AM

This is Norm from Centenario and I'm not an idiot- and I'm not Kat54. As many on this board will verify- I don't post much and don't get into personal conflict. So try someone else as I'm not your punching bag-- Oh and I can spell pretty good most of the time- my typing sometimes is not so good...Norm

oldlady - 6-18-2010 at 10:01 AM

I've met Norm. He is definitely not Kat54. He does not get into personal conflict.
If one tried to force such intellectual engagement....they would lose....huge.

capitolkat - 6-18-2010 at 10:16 AM

Thaks Kay-- not sure how I got into the middle of this as I sent a private email to abductor telling him I was going to build in Centenario and to let me know if he thought he might be interested in providing any guidance. Bad move on my part.

but I don't play insulting games through electronic mediums so if abductor is looking for Kat54 he'll have to keep looking--

thanks again-- Norm

DENNIS - 6-18-2010 at 10:36 AM

OK....so you arn't Kat. Nice to meet you anyway. :D

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2010 at 03:13 PM

Quote:

what planet have you been on?

as someone who has no inclination to rent or own transit for home handyman work, grading of backyard, etc., water level (poly tube and water) is great.

capt. mike - 6-18-2010 at 04:11 PM

"what planet have you been on?"

not yours apparently..gracias a dios!!:P

what does my location have to do with your choice of worker bee tools anyway? for your little yard projects....whoopie....do you have a tonka truck and loader too? you could build a sand box....:lol::lol::P

from what i can gather the "water level" , while it certainly must be functional, is not nearly as easy to use as a builders level.
i bet i can take way more elevational shots faster and note them than what you can do with your tube.... :yawn::yawn::smug:

monoloco - 6-18-2010 at 04:58 PM

The water level is much easier for the average abanil to obtain, maintain, transport, and use, plus you can't siphon gas with a transit level.

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2010 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
"what planet have you been on?"

not yours apparently..gracias a dios!!:P

what does my location have to do with your choice of worker bee tools anyway? for your little yard projects....whoopie....do you have a tonka truck and loader too? you could build a sand box....:lol::lol::P

from what i can gather the "water level" , while it certainly must be functional, is not nearly as easy to use as a builders level.
i bet i can take way more elevational shots faster and note them than what you can do with your tube.... :yawn::yawn::smug:

capt cracker:
try using your 3-ft-long carpenters level across 50 foot distance :lol::lol:

60 feet of poly tubing is smaller/cheaper than transit, and more accurate than $30 laser level that loses calibration on same day it leaves china mfg plant :lol:

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2010 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
a water tube is actually more accurate and foolproof than a builders level, as atmospheric pressure ensures the water finds true level.

so you think a water level would work in space station in absence of gravity? :lol::lol:

[Edited on 6-19-2010 by mtgoat666]

DENNIS - 6-18-2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote:

A water level gives you a level reference between point A and point B.
Why would you be comparing this method with those that deem the water level as inadaquate?

It does what it's supposed to do, unlike some of you lazy a-holes who should be working on your Baja project instead of running your fantasys as reality.

[Edited on 6-19-2010 by DENNIS]

DENNIS - 6-18-2010 at 05:25 PM

Fish Man.....you're turning into an idiot here.

DENNIS - 6-18-2010 at 05:32 PM

Quote:
Really...

Read this:

No thanks. I'm gone.

mtgoat666 - 6-18-2010 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
The atmospheric pressure on Earth is 15psi...It wouldn't work in space...Space has no air, and hence nothing holding things down, this is one of the reasons things float in space.

[Edited on 6-19-2010 by fishabductor]

i said in the space station, not outside the space station, numb nuts.

[Edited on 6-19-2010 by mtgoat666]

dtbushpilot - 6-18-2010 at 07:32 PM

Don't argue with an idiot fish, take the high road.....dt
 Pages:  1