BajaNomad

::Shell Island (Laguna Percebu) logistics thread::

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
What's the best time to cross the tide to Shell Island, and when's the best time to leave, these days (July)?

If we get there on Saturday spend the night and the whole day and night Sunday, that's enough R&R, then head home Monday morning.

What do you think?

Leidys and I will be ready for showers at that point. It is safe to say that will be the extent of our time with the Mission Santa Maria gang.

Perhaps we can meet someplace along the way and drive south together? What will be your route from Arizona, Art?

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 04:21 PM

This time I'll try the San Luis Rio Colorado crossing, and then take the toll road to Mexicali.

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 04:22 PM

About what time will you plan on driving south on July 2nd?

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 04:33 PM

Maybe we can meet at the (new) Pemex station in the glorieta in San Felipe. Perhaps, at 12:00 noon (and then get lunch along the Malecon). If we arrive Saturday afternoon at around 4 p.m., setting up in the direct sunlight (for us) won't be as challenging.

We can try to meet earlier/leave earlier. I'm just throwing some times out there which might work for everyone.

David K - 6-19-2010 at 04:47 PM

You guys do what ever you like... If we go, we go straight to the beach and enjoy ourselves... You all know how to get there, so why wait at a hot Pemex station 20 miles away?

The tide charts are online, but it is a quarter moon on July 4, so no HIGH HIGH tide.

That means no issues getting onto the island... Just let air out so you have some floatation or use your lockers... I will be using Toyota TRAC (limited slip on all 4) or A-TRAC (nearly locked on all 4) and having fun.

In 2001, I visited Shell Island with David K and Hotschott (& Val). Here are some pics.

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 04:50 PM

David K w/daughter Sarah

David K (in much leaner times):lol:

Drunk fool trying to cross the lagoon during low tide (from Laguna Percebu to Shell Island).

Drunk fool giving directions to stuck vehicle.

Hot Schott to the rescue! :bounce:

Celebration on Shell Island (standing in front of my Ford Ranger (now sold)).

David K - 6-19-2010 at 04:53 PM

Here are some photos from our last trip to the island (Oct. 2009):

Here is where you reach the beach (and where Art probably got marooned in 2WD?)!

There may be some 'locals' to greet you!...

Just turn left (north) and find a camping spot... this has been a favorite camp area for 32 years... We go about 2 miles north.

Baja Angel fell in love with it the first time she saw it, and we have been making it a prime destination the past 5+ years...

A small campfire and a full moon...

And the natives are friendly!

There is a good reason I named it Shell Island, back in 1978...

The birds like my Tacoma...

He says, 'if he didn't have wings, he would want four wheel drive'!

It really is perfection every day...

and every night...

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Maybe we can meet at the (new) Pemex station in the glorieta in San Felipe. Perhaps, at 12:00 noon (and then get lunch along the Malecon). If we arrive Saturday afternoon at around 4 p.m., setting up in the direct sunlight (for us) won't be as challenging.

We can try to meet earlier/leave earlier. I'm just throwing some times out there which might work for everyone.

I like your suggestion Ken. I've "been there" (stuck :-) before but I have not crossed that waterway to the "island", so I'd be more comfortable with someone.

Your suggested schedule is close to my planned schedule, so yes, we can meet in San Felipe for lunch, or even at the entrance along the highway. We can coordinate via U2U.

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I like your suggestion Ken. I've "been there" (stuck :-) before but I have not crossed that waterway to the "island", so I'd be more comfortable with someone.

Your suggested schedule is close to my planned schedule, so yes, we can meet in San Felipe for lunch, or even at the entrance along the highway. We can coordinate via U2U.

Do you have CB communications?

I think lunch sounds like a great idea. That way, Leidys arrives with a full stomach (less pressure on me).

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 05:17 PM

"Do you have CB communications?"

I have one of those Talk-Abouts, does it count as a CB? I thought CBs were not "in" anymore :-). Getting a CB shouldn't be a problem - do they have bluetooth and hands-free features?

[Edited on 6-20-2010 by edm1]

David K - 6-19-2010 at 05:19 PM

'Shell Island' is a barrier island located between Rancho (Laguna) Percebu and Bahia Santa Maria.

Photo looking south, from the north tip of the island (taken for me by Baja Mur flying in Doug Bowles plane to Alfonsina's):

Satellite image of the Baja coast south of San Felipe... about Punta Estrella to El Vergel area... Shell Island is the skinny strip of beach with lagoons behind that seperate it from the main part of Baja.

An access road was made to the island in 1984 (from Hwy. 5 at Km. 26) and included a bridge at the end of an elevated causeway across the lagoon... That elevated road has all but melted back down to the lagoon, and the concrete bridge sits useless high above the former roadbed. Photo of Surfer Jim on the bridge in 2004:

Just a great place for camping and enjoying the outdoors...

If you are a needy person, not the place to go... NO SERVICES, NO FRESH WATER, NO PROBLEMS... Justy good 'ol Baja. Haul out what you bring in, and it will remain nice! The only trash other than natural debris and bones from dolphins and whales is stuff that washes down the coast from Percebu or other 'busy' camps with less eco-minded people.

BYOS (Bring Your Own Shade):

There are no trees on Shell Island... one shade structure was built by someone, but the birds sleep there and their droppings keep people away.

Looking south from the dunes... our camp shade in blue... the structure in the distance, and the lagoon at low tide, on the right.

In May, watch out for attack Terns!

They are protecting their chicks, hatched on the sand without any nest or protection:

The weather is fine and the view from our shade is awesome...

During full and new moon phases, the island is really an island! View looking north towards Percebu...

So bring all that you need, plenty of ice and beer/ water... and relax!

Have a great evening!

[Edited on 6-20-2010 by David K]

edm1 - 6-19-2010 at 05:33 PM

"So bring all that you need, plenty of ice and beer/ water... and relax!
"

I'm bringing the blender for real frozen margaritas!!!

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
"Do you have CB communications?"

I have one of those Talk-Abouts, does it count as a CB? I thought CBs were not "in" anymore :-). Getting a CB shouldn't be a problem - do they have bluetooth and hands-free features?

[Edited on 6-20-2010 by edm1]

No worries if you do not have one. They make communication on the road much easier. I don't know of any CB radios with bluetooth or hands-free.

Updated itinerary

Ken Cooke - 6-19-2010 at 08:50 PM

July 2nd - Camp at Playas del Sol, San Felipe.

July 3rd - Leave Playas del Sol at 11:00 a.m.
Gas up Jeep at Pemex in Glorieta (in Traffic Circle) at 11:40 a.m.
Meet Art at Malecon in San Felipe at 12:00 noon -
My Jeep will be parked, with Leidys and I **nearby** eating Fish Tacos.
We will be on standby waiting for Art. The Jeep will be loaded and ready.
Just look for us on the left side of the street as you are traveling NORTH.

[Edited on 6-20-2010 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 6-20-2010 at 05:59 AM

I have a couple photos from that time you and Hotschott camped on Shell Island with my kids and I... about 9 years ago...

shell island 001.jpg - 34kB

Hotschott

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:01 AM

shell island 004.jpg - 27kB

My daughter Sarah

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:03 AM

11 years old... then!

shell island.jpg - 34kB

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:07 AM

Sarah, my son Chris and his friend Robert who we took with us. (Robert's parents run a sport fishing camp on Magdalena Island)

shell island 002.jpg - 27kB

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:10 AM

My 2001 Toyota Tacoma... Had it for 5 years and put 136,000 trouble free miles on it before the end of the lease... the most awesome/ trouble-free Baja vehicle I had ever driven to that point.

shell island 003.jpg - 31kB

Google Earth

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:29 AM

Maps of the island

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:38 AM

here's one of mine from 1978 when I first found the way to drive onto the island (previously I would park at the north end of Bahia Santa Maria and walk across the lagoon entrance onto the island):

The new road to Puertecitos was built in 1982+...

In 6 years pavement had not gotten much past Punta Estrella...

9 Yrs later - new Bride & built Rubicon!

Ken Cooke - 6-20-2010 at 06:54 AM

David K - 6-20-2010 at 07:13 AM

You guys look so happy... I hope you have the life that you both desire!

capt. mike - 6-20-2010 at 07:46 AM

who owns that land? a local ejido?
what i'd give for use of a tundra tired cub or champ to drop in and camp.
well in oct maybe...hahaha.
but it would be fun to fly there and land on the beach.

David K - 6-20-2010 at 09:51 AM

The beach is very steep and soft Mike, not at all like the Pacific...

Now, the salt/ mud flats that seperate the island from Baja (when not underwater) are nice and hard... You could land a jet on them!

I know you, and I don't see you landing at a non-airport, however! :biggrin:

Ken Cooke - 6-20-2010 at 11:17 AM

After Shell Island, Leidys and I are going to head up to the Sierra San Pedro Martir NP.

My question: How safe is it (currently) to travel via Hwy 3 to Hwy 1 via Valle de la Trinidad? I guess, Leidys and I will find out...:o

Desertbull - 6-20-2010 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
After Shell Island, Leidys and I are going to head up to the Sierra San Pedro Martir NP. My question: How safe is it (currently) to travel via Hwy 3 to Hwy 1 via Valle de la Trinidad? I guess, Leidys and I will find out...:o

Ken, I've traveled Hwy 3 to Hwy 1 many times since mid-March, guessing approximately a minimum of 25 times and it's a no brainer and all good. Road conditions have been great. Stop at El Rancho in VT for taco's and then take the cross over road to the other side, it's a no-brainer in your Rubicon.

[Edited on 6-20-2010 by Desertbull]

Ken Cooke - 6-20-2010 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desertbull
Quote:
After Shell Island, Leidys and I are going to head up to the Sierra San Pedro Martir NP. My question: How safe is it (currently) to travel via Hwy 3 to Hwy 1 via Valle de la Trinidad? I guess, Leidys and I will find out...:o

Ken, I've traveled Hwy 3 to Hwy 1 many times since mid-March, guessing approximately a minimum of 25 times and it's a no brainer and all good. Road conditions have been great. Stop at El Rancho in VT for taco's and then take the cross over road to the other side, it's a no-brainer in your Rubicon.

[Edited on 6-20-2010 by Desertbull]

Tim,

I heard about a dirt bike pre-running the Baja 1000 last year being shot at by a "grower". My Rubicon doesn't put out much noise like dirt bikes do, but I still wonder since I believe the Rio San Telmo runs south of the Valle de la Trinidad road. We will be careful not to stop and take pictures until we make it to Hwy 1 and on our way to the Mountains.

David K - 6-20-2010 at 06:40 PM

Good Grief... Ken, you wanted so badly to go to Shell Island, why this change in topics in your own thread you asked my input on?

Ken Cooke - 6-20-2010 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Good Grief... Ken, you wanted so badly to go to Shell Island, why this change in topics in your own thread you asked my input on?

:light:After Shell Island and San Felipe we're going to visit the mountains...

:light:I've heard crazy stuff happening in Valle de la Trinidad...

:light:I'm not going to stop to help strangers along this route and keep my windows rolled up along the way.:yes:

TMW - 6-21-2010 at 07:52 AM

Ken the biker that was shot was on the north side of hwy 3 up past the Goat trail toward the summit area, no where near the hwy 3 to hwy 1 cross over. There is often a military check point after you join ther power lines past the meadow area.

bajalou - 6-21-2010 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Now, the salt/ mud flats that separate the island from Baja (when not underwater) are nice and hard... You could land a jet on them!

But after a rain it's a little different - Oct 2000

[Edited on 6-21-2010 by bajalou]

Ken Cooke - 6-21-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken the biker that was shot was on the north side of hwy 3 up past the Goat trail toward the summit area, no where near the hwy 3 to hwy 1 cross over. There is often a military check point after you join ther power lines past the meadow area.

I don't know how the "information" was so completely screwed up and posted on-line.:light:

I wasn't too worried, but at least this happened miles north of Valle de la Trinidad.

David K - 6-21-2010 at 04:22 PM

I am sure you will be fine Ken... ;D

edm1 - 6-21-2010 at 05:39 PM

Are there fishes to catch on the shore, or will I have to stop by San Felipe marina to buy?

David K - 6-21-2010 at 06:16 PM

Surf fishing at the entrance to the lagoons and Bahia Santa Maria was the reason we first traveled south of San Felipe in the 1960's... The prime eating fish caught from the beach (using bait) is the CORBINA (mouth on bottom) and related CROAKER (yellowfin and spotfin). Casting from shore we used to catch the famous CORVINA (mouth in front)...

When the population increased, commercial gill netting added, and noise (we were told) the fishing greatly deminished (from the beach).

Nuevo Mazatlan about 1966 (my dad's white Jeep Wagoneer in center)

Before Luis planted the forest of shade trees, there were these tall cabanas we would camp in... Backing the travel trailer in the deep sand wasn't easy!

Just a mile and a half north of Nuevo Mazatlan was this large open bay, we called 'The Lagoon' as it emptied at low tide. We fished on the south entrance to the bay on incoming high tides and got all the corbina we wanted (using mussel from San Diego docks for bait). This bay would later be named 'Bahia Santa Maria' by the Madueña family who claimed the land.

This shrimp boat was washed into the lagoon between Bahia Santa Maria and Shell Island during the hurricane of 1967. Some of the transmission is all that remains in the mud flats last time I looked.

David K - 6-21-2010 at 06:18 PM

Close up of the Corbina, from MexFish.com

ccorbheadmitch.jpg - 42kB

Ken Cooke - 6-22-2010 at 06:20 AM

David, I see some big family resimblance between your Mother and your Daughter Sarah...

David K - 6-22-2010 at 07:17 AM

Thanks Ken...

Here is Sarah (almost 20) and I, two days ago (Father's day)...

and Christopher (21) and I...

We had lunch at Filippi's Pizza, then went to Point Loma (Cabrillo Nat'l. Monument). It is where my dad liked to go, as well.

The big news (here) is that Sarah is going to make me a grandfather this year!

My... they grow up fast!

Father's Day... 2 years ago (Balboa Park):

Back about 1992, Nuevo Mazatlan... :

[Edited on 6-22-2010 by David K]

TMW - 6-22-2010 at 08:03 AM

Congratulation to Sarah and you. Being a grandpa is a lot of fun. Enjoy

Ken Cooke - 6-22-2010 at 11:25 AM

Grandpa DK! :spingrin: Congratulations!

David K - 6-22-2010 at 10:47 PM

Thanks Tom and Ken...

Naturally, she will always be daddy's little girl (to me)!

edm1 - 6-23-2010 at 06:06 AM

Very nice family pics David! Don't you wish they stay that cute forever? And they do, wait till you get the new arrival, it starts all over again. Are you gonna babysit him/her? :-) LOL

Congrats, you're lucky you gonna be a grandpa. I'm hoping for the same but my 4 kids are nowhere near that point, even the 30+ eldest (son), we just don't see any signs of it yet.

wessongroup - 6-23-2010 at 06:32 AM

Thanks to all, really made me smile... God bless and peace and happiness to you all...

Don't have to say have fun... your smiles tell it all... thanks again

shari - 6-23-2010 at 08:01 AM

oh wow...this grandparent thing is catching!!! muchas felicidades David...wont it be neat to carry photos of the grandkids around in our wallets...looks like sarah is due pretty soon???

David K - 6-23-2010 at 08:30 PM

Thanks Art, wessongroup and Shari... Sept. 3, but maybe sooner?

David K - 6-27-2010 at 09:19 AM

Back to Shell Island in 6 days!

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by David K]

edm1 - 6-27-2010 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Back to Shell Island in 6 days!

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by David K]

Me too, and looking forward to catching some fish to barbecue.

David K - 6-27-2010 at 10:25 AM

Bring other food, just in case! For bait: squid, mussels, clams

David K - 6-28-2010 at 08:06 AM

Okay amigos, see you there... we started getting ready and will head down Saturday with a return on Tuesday... Looking forward to testing the traction control goodies again...

When the truck was new, we went to Rob and Connie's (Bahia Santa Maria) over New Year's. The truck glided over the sand without deflating the tires. Now, it is summer, and the sand acts different than in the winter.

Typically, the coarse sand/ crushed sea shell beach will swallow any vehicle (4WD or 2WD) that doesn't deflate their tires to 10-20 psi. The new Tacoma now has TRAC (in 4WD High Range), and A-TRAC (in Low Range).

TRAC is a limited slip system that uses the brakes to slow down tires that loose traction and begin to spin freely, and forces torque to the other tire on that axle that has traction. This prevents the typical one tire in front and one tire in the rear spinning and digging you in, and keeps you moving.

A-TRAC (Active Traction Control) works almost like having lockers front and rear by nearly matching wheel rotation across the axle for a super strong limited slip or 'locker action' without the steering problems that lockers have.

You have the ability to turn off the traction devices and have good 'old fashion' 4WD with open differentials... Which I did last New Year's to see if the TRAC really allowed the sand driving without deflating, or if it was just the condition of the sand...

I turned off the TRAC and withing a 100 feet the truck dug in and got stuck (32 psi, 4WD-Hi). I turned on the A-TRAC, the truck made the typical A-TRAC noises, shook a bit, and drove itself out of the stuck (without my clearing away sand from the tires or letting any air out).

Once I was out of the stuck, I went back into 4-High (with TRAC on) and continued to drive about freely... it was amazing! I will repeat the test next weekend and report back!

Change of plans

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2010 at 08:30 AM

I am planning on leaving for San Felipe on Friday at about noon so that I can show Leidys what San Felipe is like at about dusk. We will get a hotel room for the night instead of staying at Playas del sol campground. That way, she can be introduced to the Malecon without going to much effort like if we were camping.

We will meet Art in San Felipe at about noon on Saturday on the Malecon as previously planned.

I do have On-Board Air, and for anyone lowering their tire pressure, I can air back up within about 10 minutes per vehicle.

[Edited on 6-28-2010 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 6-28-2010 at 08:33 AM

I also have a quick air pump, if needed.

July 4 weekend 2009...

David K - 6-28-2010 at 07:25 PM

Quote:
I am planning on leaving for San Felipe on Friday at about noon so that I can show Leidys what San Felipe is like at about dusk. We will get a hotel room for the night instead of staying at Playas del sol campground. That way, she can be introduced to the Malecon without going to much effort like if we were camping.

We will meet Art in San Felipe at about noon on Saturday on the Malecon as previously planned.

I do have On-Board Air, and for anyone lowering their tire pressure, I can air back up within about 10 minutes per vehicle.

[Edited on 6-28-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Good plan...

We were on Shell Island July 4th last year (2009)... nobody else there (humans that is):

and a view of Baja, from the island!>>>

David K - 6-28-2010 at 07:31 PM

Last Year May (Memorial Day 2009) we went to Shell Island with Josh and his girlfriend... to add shade, we tied on a tarp to one side of the sun canopy and the breeze elevated it...

Note tote bags (from Lowe's) bungeed to the tarp and canopy to keep them from blowing away.

[Edited on 6-29-2010 by David K]

David K - 6-28-2010 at 07:45 PM

The road across the mud flats going to the island:

This palapa was built in 2006 by ??... it is located about 100 meters south of our camp (seen in distance)... Possible shade structure... just add tarps (bring tarps Ken)...

Sunrise on Shell Island:

Just No Bad Days... Baja Angel's first time there, July 2005:

edm1 - 6-28-2010 at 08:41 PM

David, please tell me whether or not I'm right. That shade structure (fishing palapa?) is SOUTH of your camp shade and North-west of your camp shade is the unfinished bridge, right? If so, from the main/entrance trail, there is a trail that forks RIGHT to the shade structure; the one that forks LEFT leads to the unfinished bridge whose south side is the water crossing. The right fork trail is deep sand and that's where I got stuck the first time I was there 3 years ago, and I can see the palapa clearly from there.

[Edited on 6-29-2010 by edm1]

ShellIsland2.jpg - 31kB

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2010 at 09:56 PM

Quote:
This palapa was built in 2006 by ??... it is located about 100 meters south of our camp (seen in distance)... Possible shade structure... just add tarps (bring tarps Ken)...

Instead of purchasing a new EZ-UP Canopy, I am going to use my existing EZ-UP Dome II (10'x10') frame, and make a visit to one of the military surplus stores here in town in order to outfit it.

To Art - KM 26 is what David K told me. There are two pylons on the left side of the road about 20 miles south of San Felipe. The dirt road leading across the mud flats will go south of the broken bridge and the muddy area. Travel directly towards the sand and water, and when the 'Cortez is visible, follow it north 2 miles. I'm going to eat lunch with the Mrs. between 11:45-12:45 PM on Saturday, on the Malecon, and then we will be ready to head south.

If you would like to join us for lunch, we will be at the Malecon, packed, and ready to travel after we eat. Otherwise, we will see you on the sand.

David K - 6-29-2010 at 07:00 AM

Hi Art,

There is a fisherman's hut ~ 1/4 mile south of the abandoned concrete bridge... occupied during their fishing season. Our camp, and that shade structure in the photo above, is ~2 miles NORTH of the bridge/ access road. The palapa you saw is not the one in my photo... The beach is all deep sand and will require deflating or traction control.

The original access road onto the island went southeast across the mud flat and the fisherman's hut is at the end of it. The 'new' (1984) access road was an elevated causeway going straight east from Km. 26 and across the mud flat to the concrete bridge. It crossed over the older road on the mud flat. The elevated road has melted back down to the flats almost totally. The concrete bridge at the end, remains a couple feet higher than the elevated roadbed, and is useless now. During high tides, the deepest water crossing is the detour around the south side of the bridge.

You cannot see our camp 2 miles north of where the access road reaches the beach. At low tide, driving on the firm, wet sand, you cannot see our camp when driving right by, as the beach is so steep and big. We set up next to the low sand dunes... We can see Rancho (Laguna) Percebu, which is a mile further north and across the lagoon from the top of the dune behind our camp.

The island is 4 miles long... one mile to the south of the road and 3 miles to the north.

Ken Cooke - 6-29-2010 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
The elevated road has melted back down to the flats almost totally. The concrete bridge at the end, remains a couple feet higher than the elevated roadbed, and is useless now. During high tides, the deepest water crossing is the detour around the south side of the bridge.

David,

Exactly how necessary was that elevated roadbed during high tides? Does any of that drainage equipment serve any function?

David K - 6-29-2010 at 07:10 AM

It provided easy access onto the island during any high tide... Previously (and again now) we had to drive in sea water during high tide if we had to get on or off the island then... the mud was still bad even if it ws low tide! If you placed your tires in the firmest track (road), which was also the lowest and deepest with water, you didn't get stuck. I had Subarus with 13" tires and went there many times.

This was only around full and new moon phases. Next weekend is a quarter moon... and since global sea levels have NOT risen in the 32 years I have been driving onto the island, the mud flats should not be too wet or wet at all.

mtgoat666 - 6-29-2010 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
... and since global sea levels have NOT risen in the 32 years I have been driving onto the island, the mud flats should not be too wet or wet at all.

DK: most everyone, except certain tea bags, agrees that in last 32 years sea level has risen about 50 to 60 mm

bajaguy - 6-29-2010 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

DK: most everyone, except certain tea bags, agrees that in last 32 years sea level has risen about 50 to 60 mm

Less than the length of a cigarette............

David K - 6-29-2010 at 05:06 PM

Okay, I give... the sky is falling/ the oceans are rising... half the length of a cigarette in over 32 years is the end of us all! :biggrin::rolleyes:

Rancho Percebu weather

Ken Cooke - 6-30-2010 at 06:21 AM

Rancho Percebu KM 21 Weather Forecast

David K - 6-30-2010 at 06:36 AM

Perfect!:smug:

Ken Cooke - 6-30-2010 at 07:05 AM

Leidys and I hit up the Summer Sale at Sportmart yesterday. I guess the summer camping season is upon us, and the stores know most campers are already stocked up for their summer vacations they are already on.

Now, let's hope everything fits in the back of the Jeep.:lol:

Donjulio - 6-30-2010 at 07:37 AM

You guys are going to have a great time. Hope you stop by the food bank on your way in to say hello.

capt. mike - 6-30-2010 at 08:41 AM

"DK: most everyone, except certain tea bags, agrees that in last 32 years sea level has risen about 50 to 60 mm"

but - from what datum??
maybe it was down 60 mm 100 years ago? or UP 120 mm 50 years ago?

that's the problem punditing....a confirmed ref point is elusive.

now that dark energy theory has evolved beyond conjecture - the whole big bang time estimate is under suspicion and a totally new physics rules set is being contemplated by the brightest among those who expound on such.

TMW - 6-30-2010 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
... and since global sea levels have NOT risen in the 32 years I have been driving onto the island, the mud flats should not be too wet or wet at all.

At that rate I'll have ocean front property in Bakersfield in 38,400 years. Oops I don't think I'll be here then.

David K - 7-1-2010 at 06:46 AM

TW... since Bakersfield is so close to being inundated, just move down here, closer to the ocean and live life on the edge! Anyway, it is closer to Baja. Of course, at a faster rate than the rising sea, Baja is moving north towards Alaska! :rolleyes:

Ken Cooke - 7-1-2010 at 08:42 AM

@ David - We will be traveling south on the I-15/805 arriving in Tecate, CA tomorrow (early) afternoon. We will catch up with you on Saturday - early afternoon on the island.

David K - 7-1-2010 at 06:09 PM

Okay Ken... you gys have fun on Friday and Saturday morning... We should be in San Felipe about NOON on Saturday, and Shell Island setting up camp by 1... I have the Salsa/ Latin beat station programmed into my XM Satellite radio in my Tacoma to warm up for our dance lessons on the beach! :yes::spingrin::cool:

Ken Cooke - 7-1-2010 at 08:38 PM

David K -- Can you bring us 1 canister of propane for our Coleman stove?? I will gladly reimburse you for your expenses.:yes:

The XM station will have Leidys completely jazzed. :bounce:

We can't wait to have some fun in Baja!! :bounce:

edm1 - 7-1-2010 at 09:10 PM

Ken, I'm behind in getting ready for the trip and will likely be leaving later than previously planned. So don't wait for me in San Felipe; go ahead and meet up with others at Shell Island. I will likely be there between 4 and 5PM; if I get stuck in the waterway, I'll hike the two miles to come and get one of you guys to pull me out :-)

[Edited on 7-2-2010 by edm1]

David K - 7-1-2010 at 09:40 PM

Ken, I think there is an extra bottle of propane in my bag, if you don't find any I will share... we just did our shopping and I am home for the night and have a busy day tomorrow... They sell propane bottles EVERYWHERE, including San Felipe... and one lasts forever.

Art, I don't expect any water or very much on the access road being a quarter moon... and you got to Mision Santa Maria with that thing... YOU SIR will have NO problems!!! See you Saturday afternoon, on the island...

Ken Cooke - 7-1-2010 at 10:25 PM

Quote:
Ken, I think there is an extra bottle of propane in my bag, if you don't find any I will share... we just did our shopping and I am home for the night and have a busy day tomorrow... They sell propane bottles EVERYWHERE, including San Felipe... and one lasts forever.

Art, I don't expect any water or very much on the access road being a quarter moon... and you got to Mision Santa Maria with that thing... YOU SIR will have NO problems!!! See you Saturday afternoon, on the island...

@ David - I have one bottle, but it is partially used. I will look for a bottle in San Felipe. We're packing right now.

@ Art - No complaints. I completely understand. Prepping can be difficult work. What if you honked your horn from ACROSS the lagoon coming south from Rancho Percebu? I could drive south to meet you at that point.

David K - 7-1-2010 at 10:32 PM

When it is at 19 feet or more, the mud flats get water and it is an ISLAND!

Saturday, it will be LOW tide at noon (11:58) and the previous HIGH tide at 6 something AM was less than 12 feet. The next HIGH tide is before 7 pm, and is near 12 feet, as well.

The island will be surrounded by water on the 11th, 12th, and 13th of July... more if windy.

[Edited on 7-3-2010 by David K]

[Edited on 7-3-2010 by David K]

David K - 7-2-2010 at 11:17 PM

Okay... The Tacoma is loaded for fun in the sun!

You all have fun this weekend and I will show you the photos when we get back in a few days!

Happy Independence Day!;)

wessongroup - 7-2-2010 at 11:23 PM

Glad your not afraid to take some pictures... thanks..

And all of you have some fun and be safe out there... too

[Edited on 7-3-2010 by wessongroup]

bajajeffrey - 7-5-2010 at 11:18 PM

how did laguna Percebu get its name?

edm1 - 7-6-2010 at 06:35 AM

"Typically, the coarse sand/ crushed sea shell beach will swallow any vehicle (4WD or 2WD) that doesn't deflate their tires to 10-20 psi."

Yup, it swallowed my monster truck. David K has pics. I wanted to see the capability of locked 6 wheels without airing down and you know what happened.

I just got back from Shell Island last night. David/Elizabeth and Ken/Leidys are still there for another day.

Nontheless, that place is beautiful and peaceful 24x7.

Skipjack Joe - 7-6-2010 at 08:35 AM

Beware of the heat, Ken.

We just drove through there a couple of days ago and the temps were over 100. Just walking from the car to the water's edge was an overwhelming experience. No breeze to speak of except for hot gusts now and then. I just can't see camping in those conditions - even if you spend most of your time in the water. It's so hot you don't want to move until after 7PM.

edm1 - 7-6-2010 at 12:10 PM

Joe,

"the temps were over 100"

Sorry to contradict, but where we camped it was well below the 86-deg forecast. It was cooler than I liked it to be. In fact, I had to take a full 3 mile walk around 11am along the shore 'cause I wanted to start a good sweat. I wanted to walk further but David K came to taxi me out in his Tacoma for a tour of the "island". It was a cool 4th of July. There was no water in the lagoon when we arrived but had a little the next day.

3 years ago when I was there on the 2nd week of July, I think it was over the 90s.

Ken Cooke - 7-6-2010 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Beware of the heat, Ken.

We just drove through there a couple of days ago and the temps were over 100. Just walking from the car to the water's edge was an overwhelming experience. No breeze to speak of except for hot gusts now and then. I just can't see camping in those conditions - even if you spend most of your time in the water. It's so hot you don't want to move until after 7PM.

Upper 80s were a breeze for us. Leidys felt comfortable since Barranquilla is normally in the 90s plus humidity. She felt right at home in Mexicali the evening we crossed into Mexico..Is that possible? :o

I'm not going to argue about the heat, just disagree. It was about 10 degrees cooler than you reported, Joe.

capt. mike - 7-6-2010 at 12:31 PM

basically they lucked out with the cool down that hit the SW. we dropped from 114 to 104 and lower humidity from sat on.
that would have made beach camping some what tolerable for some i guess.

David K - 7-6-2010 at 10:08 PM

Hi Gang... We got home about 9pm... FANTASTIC TRIP * FANTASTIC WEATHER * FANTASTIC AMIGOS...

Trip Report... Photos... More coming tomorrow or soon! We came home via Ensenada and had dinner at the Half Way House... Blvd. 2000 to Tecate, 15 min. border line at 7:35 pm.

Art's van was awesome in the sand!:cool:

My trip report strats HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46599
Many photos!

[Edited on 7-7-2010 by David K]

Bob H - 2-12-2011 at 09:55 PM

Wow... great old thread here.

David K - 2-13-2011 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
"Typically, the coarse sand/ crushed sea shell beach will swallow any vehicle (4WD or 2WD) that doesn't deflate their tires to 10-20 psi."

Yup, it swallowed my monster truck. David K has pics. I wanted to see the capability of locked 6 wheels without airing down and you know what happened.

I just got back from Shell Island last night. David/Elizabeth and Ken/Leidys are still there for another day.

Nontheless, that place is beautiful and peaceful 24x7.

Photos of Art's monster van/ motorhome on Shell Island...

Horsepower (454 V-8) and traction assistance (4WD with front and rear ARB lockers) are of little aid in this kind of sand!

Once we got Art's tire pressure lowered, and he pointed the van downhill (towards the water)... He motored easily the two miles to our camp...

Art was so happy... "I got floatation" he said with a glee!

It is all about air pressure in the sand... 2WD or 4WD, you must deflate the tires and you can drive out of a stuck.

[Edited on 2-13-2011 by David K]

Waiting for Art...

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2011 at 09:07 AM

Arguing about tire pressure and if Art would arrive on foot like he did when he had 2 wheel drive...

Which base camp would Art want to sleep at with his truck parked someplace near Hwy 5?
David K's?

Ken Cooke's?

After picking up sea shells, we took a break and watched for Art...
Leidys during her shift...

Elizabeth watching during her shift...

Finally, I spotted Art driving up the beach in what appeared to be a Semi driving on the beach and suddenly parking...??

David K's Triple AAA Towing to the rescue! :lol::lol::yes:

Success!!!

David K - 2-13-2011 at 10:05 AM

Cool shots Ken... I hadn't seen those before... thanks!

I sure love four wheeling in Baja!

BAJACAT - 2-13-2011 at 02:59 PM

so DK what my PSI should be for this weekend ride in SI.
I was thinking 20 PSI

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2011 at 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I was thinking 20 PSI

I run a mild-Mud-Terrain tire w/2 ply sidewalls - Class C. 10 p.s.i. worked very well for me. 15 p.s.i. was too high for good flotation on my Rubicon.

David K - 2-13-2011 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
I was thinking 20 PSI

15 psi will work... 10 psi if you bog down... 20 psi is a place to start if you don't want to refill as much.