BajaNomad

Towing Tall Boat?

Anonymous - 7-22-2004 at 06:04 AM

I have a tower on my boat. It is welded aluminum and I can't affordably modify it because of the controls.
She sits 14.5 ft. road to top. I know I can't go into many towns etc. and to be careful on fueling stops but does anyone have any experience towing tall boats in Baja California?
Any input would be appreciated and thanks in advance for your help!

Bob and Susan - 7-22-2004 at 06:22 PM

If you can tow it in California you will have NO trouble in Baja.

No bridges.

Take it down.

The width is the problem. The roads are very narrow.:lol::lol:

FrankO - 7-22-2004 at 08:28 PM

Well, actually there are a few bridges on the toll road south of TJ. You'd need to take the free road.

Markitos - 7-22-2004 at 09:14 PM

Watch out for flying cows:lol::lol::lol:

David K - 7-22-2004 at 09:25 PM

There are many bridges over the free road from Tijuana to Ensenada! If the height is no more tha a semi trailer, you are fine... I recal 5 or 5.5 meter clearance on the toll road bridgers... is that correct?

Dave - 7-22-2004 at 09:39 PM

David I THINK they are all 5 mtr or more. The free road however has an underpass south of la fonda that might be a problem, unless you were going fast enough.:biggrin:

Anonymous - 7-23-2004 at 07:04 AM

Thanks. I have towed many boats and trailers as far south as Cabo, although I quit going beyond the East Cape many years ago.
I fly my cows in a wok!
I just can't remember the clearances and I towed a boat with a 13 ft height twice to the East Cape last year.
5 meters works for me. I am going to remove the controls and that will help.

Mine stands 14' tall

JZ - 7-27-2004 at 10:30 PM

No problems down to Ensenada, San Felipe, or San Carlos on the mainland.

Anonymous - 7-28-2004 at 05:46 AM

Thanks JZ,

That is the kind of first hand information I was looking for.
If I remove the steering wheel and throttle controls in the tower I am just under 14 feet and that should work.

Once again, thanks to all for sharing your information.

He made it!!!

BajaCactus - 8-10-2004 at 04:35 PM

I was working at BajaCactus Motel around 7:30 pm this last friday, when suddenly I was approached by a very cheerfull guy and a beautiful young girl. He asked me if we had any place to put his tall boat.... and I remembered the post I saw recently here... I asked and he was the one....!!!

George and his daughter were in their way to Bahia de los Angeles. George is a very nice guy and he is also a hard working farmer and he was about to enjoy the beauties of the Sea of Cortez.

Have a great time George!!!