BajaNomad

Overnight camping near (in) EL ROSARIO....

surfer jim - 7-20-2010 at 10:05 AM

Anyone have suggestions for overnight camping in or near El Rosario?

Will be traveling with wife and need to overnight in this area to finish trip the next day. Wanted to go to Santa Ines but think it will be too hot. Wife doesn't like motels or I would stay at BAJA CACTUS.

Traveling in a truck camper and don't need any hookups , just a safe spot for the night.

shari - 7-20-2010 at 10:56 AM

maybe you can camp at baja cactus parking lot??? kinda risky place to remote camp in my opinion.

tiotomasbcs - 7-20-2010 at 11:08 AM

If you can make it to Vicente Guerrero Irene has a great place with lots of room and off the hwy! Next day you don't have to drive thru San Quintin in the am rush!!! Posada Don Diego?? Irene, donde esta?? Now she doesn't have to toot her own horn. Smiles

Bob H - 7-20-2010 at 11:12 AM

Jim,
Audrey and I have camped here many times.... and, the restuarant in front is great! Security gate, etc.

http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/bajarvparks/motelsinai.htm

Bob H

mtgoat666 - 7-20-2010 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Anyone have suggestions for overnight camping in or near El Rosario?

Will be traveling with wife and need to overnight in this area to finish trip the next day. Wanted to go to Santa Ines but think it will be too hot. Wife doesn't like motels or I would stay at BAJA CACTUS.

Traveling in a truck camper and don't need any hookups , just a safe spot for the night.

catavina is a relatively near, lots of good places to camp in semi-high desert area. may be hot in day, but prob cools off at night.

there is so much undeveloped coastline near el rosario, isn't any of it safe to camp?

Neal Johns - 7-20-2010 at 11:53 AM

Shari has best suggestion, here is second choice:
Camped here in a large, frequently empty, clean campground behind this restaurant (up driveway between the parked vehicles). Cheap.
Pic from Google Earth StreetView. :!: Can't remember name. Help, DK?

Camping El RosarioX.jpg - 47kB

Bob and Susan - 7-20-2010 at 11:56 AM

nope...

bobH
has the best spot for overnight with a camper
and neals second choice

they have wireless internet now too

sinaisign.jpg - 23kB

How about El Socorro

TonyC - 7-20-2010 at 12:20 PM

Jim, the camp site is close to the beach. Safe, and pretty.

Socorro is only 18 miles before you get to El Rosario. I'll be there 21 August for 15 days.

It's less than .5 miles from hwy 1...you should check it out before heading south to Rosario.

I think there's a charge 7 US dollars mas o menos. Ricardo's house is where you can ask, but no charge to drive in and look. Catch the tide right, and go claming (manila clams) for your dinner.

If I can be of any help...just ask.... the power of Baja Nomads.

[Edited on 7-20-2010 by TonyC]

Neal Johns - 7-20-2010 at 12:22 PM

Bob and Susan'
YOUR campground suggestion does not have a sign that says "Don't let your dog chit in the campground" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bob and Susan - 7-20-2010 at 12:49 PM

yes it does...

bigzaggin - 7-20-2010 at 01:35 PM

I'm not a big fan of the El Socorro option. Too close to the hwy for my comfort. Tony - sure it's fine now but a friend did have some problems there a few years back.

It's about 30 min. trip out of El Rosario, but what about Punta Baja? It's kind of a neat, desolate place, windy but not too bad and free. I've never had an issue there, not sure about other nomads. Only problem can be bad road out there in heavy rains.

TonyC - 7-20-2010 at 02:01 PM

been to punta banda. dusty road, and desolate...safe? better where bob, susan, and neals john said to try.

Secure and Safe...

BajaCactus - 7-20-2010 at 03:18 PM

Surfer Jim... you are welcome to stay overnight at our back parking lot at BajaCactus... it might not be the ideal place but it is secure and safe.

BajaCactus

wilderone - 7-20-2010 at 04:10 PM

Mision San Fernando (past the ruins about 1/4 mi. on the road in front of them) is a great place to camp.

woody with a view - 7-20-2010 at 04:39 PM

posada don diego. great restraunt and no jake brakes......

surfer jim - 7-20-2010 at 05:03 PM

Thanks for all the ideas! Looks to be some good choices that I wouldn't have thought of.

I was also thinking about driving out to SAN CARLOS and spending a couple of days.Haven't been there in a few years( but sort of out of the way.)

Anybody have any idea how hot SANTA INES would be at night?

edm1 - 7-20-2010 at 07:10 PM

Jim, I've parked and slept at BajaCactus parking lot. My daughter and I felt more at home in the RV even if we paid 250pesos for a room just to use the shower/toilet, just so we wouldn't have to worry about RV dumping later the next day.

I've also at another time parked overnight at the side of the BajaCactus Pemex, of course with a 110-lb Doberman tied to the winch hook.

I'd discourage you spending time around the Rancho Sta Ines - there's a lot of flies there when we were there a month and a half ago.

[Edited on 7-21-2010 by edm1]

Marc - 7-20-2010 at 09:23 PM

At what campground were those two guys from Nevada murdered?Was there ever an arrest? This was about 11 or 12 years ago. It was at or near a beach. I think the main suspect was a nephew of the chief of police?

wessongroup - 7-20-2010 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
Jim, I've parked and slept at BajaCactus parking lot. My daughter and I felt more at home in the RV even if we paid 250pesos for a room just to use the shower/toilet, just so we wouldn't have to worry about RV dumping later the next day.

I've also at another time parked overnight at the side of the BajaCactus Pemex, of course with a 110-lb Doberman tied to the winch hook.

I'd discourage you spending time around the Rancho Sta Ines - there's a lot of flies there when we were there a month and a half ago.

[Edited on 7-21-2010 by edm1]

Hell, in your rig you could sleep in Bagdad, thought it was a knock off of the militaries Cougar

Skipjack Joe - 7-20-2010 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Anybody have any idea how hot SANTA INES would be at night?

low70's/high60's. That part of baja has low humidity (very dry) and cools off fast after sunset. Should be comfortable sleeping.

David K - 7-20-2010 at 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns
Camped here in a large, frequently empty, clean campground behind this restaurant (up driveway between the parked vehicles). Cheap.

That's the La Bocana Beach Restaurant in front of the Sinahi Motel and R.V. Park... all now operated by 'Primo' (formerly the restaurant owner only... He may be changing the restaurant name to Sinahi as well, but as of this morning... it still has La Bocana Beach on the side (yup, we had breakfast there this morning, 7-20-10)!

Oh, the RV park in back does have the dog pooping sign...

tiotomasbcs - 7-21-2010 at 06:22 AM

Those two guys they found bludgeoned were out by the big arroyos south of El Socorro I believe. Their family posted notices all over BC & BCS until they were found. The son of the Police chief was found driving their truck w/Nevada plates. I don't camp out their anymore; tweakers & drug addicts have ruined the free camping in many areas !!

Bob H - 7-21-2010 at 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Neal Johns

That's the La Bocana Beach Restaurant in front of the Sinahi Motel and R.V. Park... all now operated by 'Primo' (formerly the restaurant owner only... He may be changing the restaurant name to Sinahi as well, but as of this morning... it still has La Bocana Beach on the side (yup, we had breakfast there this morning, 7-20-10)!

Oh, the RV park in back does have the dog pooping sign...

Yep, here's my dog Luke in front of that very sign!

David K - 7-21-2010 at 07:45 AM

I knew I could count on you Bob! :lol:

hawaiicruz - 7-21-2010 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Those two guys they found bludgeoned were out by the big arroyos south of El Socorro I believe. Their family posted notices all over BC & BCS until they were found. The son of the Police chief was found driving their truck w/Nevada plates. I don't camp out their anymore; tweakers & drug addicts have ruined the free camping in many areas !!

That area has always had a bad reputation (20+ years). too close to the road IMO
...Old 4wheeler saying;
the further off road you get the nicer the people you meet

vacaenbaja - 7-21-2010 at 04:22 PM

Cured me of using a fully zipped mummy bag in baja for good! Nothing worse. all zipped up against the cold and no way to fight off those who want to whack your head silly like those poor white seals they club for their furs.