BajaNomad

A Culinary Discovery on the Road Between La Paz and Todos Santos

BajaNews - 7-29-2010 at 12:44 PM

http://mikebrozda.wordpress.com/2010/07/22/a-culinary-discov...

Mike Brozda
July 22, 2010

One of the joys of traveling is to discover a great new restaurant where you’d least expect it.

Playas de San Pedro, on a lonely desert road in Baja California Sur, Mexico, is just such a delightful find. Located about 20 minutes outside of La Paz, (at kilometer 18), and 40 minutes from Todos Santos, the open-air restaurant features a bright orange, white and blue awning that makes it easy to spot.

Baja is full of wonderful seafood and taco joints. But Playas de San Pedro is different–it serves locally caught seafood prepared with a Sinaloan twist. Particularly flavorful is the restaurant’s specialty: pescado ahumado (smoked fish, accented with herbs).

Our host, Norberto Murillo, greeted us and offered us a tour of the spotless kitchen. Most impressive was a 6-foot tall walk-in gas fired oven contained roll-in metal racks that held various kinds of fish such as yellowatail, dorado and marlin. Chefs add mesquite wood to flavor the fish, which cooks in only 30 minutes, searing in the delicious juices.

As an appetizer, our host recommended callo de hacha gratinado (grilled sea scallops) served on an abalone shell. He also proffered almejas (clams) prepared in a similar fashion, and served on the half-shell. The flavors were delightful and the shellfish were soft and perfectly textured.

Other items on the menu include camarones (shrimp) prepared in a variety of ways, chiles rellenos (stuffed chiles), pulpo (octopus), and ceviche de pescado (raw fish marianated in lime juice and herbs). Norberto offered Penny and I a sample of a 30-inch-long fish called serandeado. It was heavenly. The flesh is white, flaky, juicy, with a distinctive but not overpowering smoky flavor.

In addition to the dining area, Playas de San Pedro features a family-style party area complete with large shady palm-roofed palapa, swimming pool and spotless bathrooms.

The downside? Playas de San Pedro is located next to the transpeninsular highway, and noise from the occasional big-rig can be a bit irksome. But for flavors I haven’t yet found at other restaurants in Baja, Playas de San Pedro is worth a stop.

Another Place I Want to Visit

Gypsy Jan - 7-29-2010 at 05:23 PM

I am adding it to my "I Hope to Get There" Baja discovery list.

JESSE - 7-29-2010 at 05:29 PM

Been there, nothing special, just your average seafood place.

Edit - Priorities

Gypsy Jan - 7-29-2010 at 05:55 PM

Jesse's Tres Virgenes is at the top of my "I Hope to Get There" List

Udo - 7-29-2010 at 06:06 PM

JESSE

You have to be a chef to say that. I say similar things when eating at restaurants and eateries. If I can fix better food than the one I'm eating, I will comment to my wife as such. But most of the time she beats me to the punch..."yours is better than this."
However...I'm always willing to try someone else's dishes just in case I can improve on mine.

However, in defense of the reviewer's taste buds:
If you have never had a really great dish, and the person doesn't know much better, that last restaurant was a great meal!

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Been there, nothing special, just your average seafood place.