BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  16

BajaGringo - 1-20-2011 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Our house, is a very, very, very fine house.
With two cats in the yard,
Life used to be so hard,
Now everything is easy 'cause of you.

You just took me back to 8th grade - CSN&Y. Thanks for sparking the memory banks...

longlegsinlapaz - 1-20-2011 at 04:56 PM

Wonderful!! You & the weary trio are in for sharing excellent company!! Maybe you can fatten Don Kay up & teach Mike to surf! Pics please!!:spingrin:

David K - 1-20-2011 at 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
We didn't expect to see the trio today but just took a ride in the dune buggy out towards Cadeje and there they were coming down the North road almost to town. We had told our friend Pedro about Mike and he had ridden out on his horse to meet them. They still have a couple miles to go before they get here and BigWooo has gone back out to take Mike his only request- a couple of cold beers! More to follow...

Great news... He muct be busy having fun already... or unloading Don-Kay. No satellite signal received yet, but good to hear they walked the whole 15 miles to San Juanico today!

BajaBlanca - 1-20-2011 at 07:12 PM

Hi Mike ! So glad to hear you are there already ..... and relaxing and having a deserved beer and Don Kay taking a load off his feet or back and Solo just loving every second of following your shadow .....

we were in Bahia Asuncion for the day and boy - dude - you have walked FAR !! The end is really near now ....

Oladulce - lets see who can be Mike's next contact further south from you ????? It is nice to have a destination port, so to speak. One beer to the next is NOT a bad thing :lol::lol:

David K - 1-20-2011 at 07:25 PM

It is a long ways south... but below Punta Conejo, west from La Paz is Nomad 'rob' ...???

shari - 1-20-2011 at 07:41 PM

Hola mi estimado amigo Mike you crazy bugger!!!! I know you will be checking this thread dude...probably already picked up some surfer lingo eh! And I KNOW you are entertaining the fine folk of Juanico...I sure hope a gathering gets organized where you can give a litte talk...actually a little talk is not possible with Mike!!!jajajaja

Glad you be quenching your thirst for a bit there...u2u me a phone #...have fun and kiss Don Kay and Sola for us!

oladulce - 1-20-2011 at 09:04 PM

Here's a couple of photos of their arrival at Punta Pequeña:

On the home stretch for today, walking up our back road

It only looks like Pedro is riding Don Kay, but don't worry he's not.

I don't know a thing about donkeys but Don Kay seems healthy and happy. More to follow...

Jan. 20, 2011

David K - 1-20-2011 at 11:26 PM

As you can see from the photos above, Mike, Solo and Don-Kay have completed the 15 mile walk today from La Ballena (del Raymundo) to San Juanico "Scorpion Bay"!

Mike's estimated miles for January: 167 (so far)

CP - 1-21-2011 at 10:58 AM

Is Mike's dog Solo or Sola?
Makes a difference whether my best friend goes with me to visit them today.

surfdoc - 1-21-2011 at 11:15 AM

Mike's pups a female..Sola vieno or (sp) she's on Birth Control though, took care of that in Asuncion..:)

Glad to see Mike happy and movin along very well... still toying with the idea of meeting him north of Todos Santo's.

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2011 at 11:16 AM

Solo is female. But she had a shot to make her not go into heat.

What will Mike's next stop be ....San Gregorio ????

David K - 1-21-2011 at 11:21 AM

So I need to stop calling her 'Solo' I guess! I thought I was just repeating the name after it was first posted...sorry!!

Mike, Sola and Don-Kay it is!

oladulce - 1-21-2011 at 02:30 PM

Mike plans to stay at least through tomorrow (Sat the 22nd) so you won't see any movement on the map for at least 2 days. He wants to stop in La Purisima briefly and says later he'll get out his maps so we can all look at what his next route will be. Right now they seem to be enjoying unwinding.

Don Kay has been meandering around the back of the property which is an acre of fenced-in natural vegetation and this morning we let him wander up near the house when some folks came over so he could hang out near the porch. What a cool donkey. He made no attempt to eat any of my plants but Mike says not to trust him.

He's had no further colic after the one episode.

"Solo" and "Sola", she doesn't seem to mind which one you call her. She's a very special dog that melts your heart.

somomule - 1-21-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
Mike plans to stay at least through tomorrow (Sat the 22nd) so you won't see any movement on the map for at least 2 days. He wants to stop in La Purisima briefly and says later he'll get out his maps so we can all look at what his next route will be. Right now they seem to be enjoying unwinding.

Don Kay has been meandering around the back of the property which is an acre of fenced-in natural vegetation and this morning we let him wander up near the house when some folks came over so he could hang out near the porch. What a cool donkey. He made no attempt to eat any of my plants but Mike says not to trust him.

He's had no further colic after the one episode.

"Solo" and "Sola", she doesn't seem to mind which one you call her. She's a very special dog that melts your heart.

Oladulce Please check your U2U message for information for Mike.

Thank You,
Ken

oladulce - 1-21-2011 at 06:31 PM

Mike enjoyed a day off touring town and looking for a route, away from the pavement, to La Purisima today. Here's some photos of them:

Mike leading Don Kay out of the garden:

Best Buddies:

[Edited on 1-22-2011 by oladulce]

BajaBlanca - 1-21-2011 at 06:42 PM

Oladulce - those are wonderful photos ... I want to see Scorpion Bay as we have never been there !!

Hi again Mike from Blanca and Les !

Surfdoc - go go go - it is so fun to see them .... and hear the stories ... and become part of the story as well.

I asked about Solo's name also and it is SOLO. Female or not, that is the name Mike gave her !! Solo Vina is the complete name, I think (she came alone) or perhaps Solo Vine (I came alone) - not sure now .....

David K - 1-21-2011 at 06:53 PM

Thanks for the photos oladulce... outstanding!

Thanks Blanca... so that we are all clear: Don-Kay is a HE and Solo (o) is a SHE! :light::lol:

oladulce or Mike... there is one Nomad about 2/3 of the way to Cabo from San Juanico... it is 'rob'... perhaps u2u him if he isn't following this thread. I don't know any Nomads along Magdalena Bay... but I think there may be some (maybe at Lopez Mateos?).

Nancy Drew - 1-21-2011 at 08:05 PM

super photos , i am enjoying following his trip. hope he takes don kay and solo home with him.

Jan. 21, 2011

David K - 1-21-2011 at 08:41 PM

Enjoying the day at Scorpion Bay!

surfdoc - 1-21-2011 at 10:21 PM

OK.... I have to be in San Diego for the week of the 7th..

BUT can be down ar my trailer by the end of the week..

David could you post a projection of Mikes trip so I can plan ??

David K - 1-22-2011 at 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc

and just where is your Baja location?

BajaNomad - 1-22-2011 at 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc

and just where is your Baja location?

Surfdoc's in Asuncion, and may still have a place in Todos Santos area (???).

Don-K, Mike & Surfdoc in Asuncion:

donkayluv.JPG - 48kB

David K - 1-22-2011 at 08:17 AM

Well, let's say he still has a place in Todos Santos since Asuncion has already been visited by him and it is now the wrong direction.

It is really too hard to tell very well because of so many factors in how far Mike gets every day or week... Seems to average close to 10 miles a day. with a break once a week for 2+ days.

I will guess he will be close to Cd. Constitucion/Pto. San Carlos is about a week... Close to Punta Conejo in 2 weeks... Close to Todos Santos in 3 weeks... and finish his adventure within a month. October 1, 2010 to (almost) March, 2011.

oladulce - 1-22-2011 at 12:40 PM

Here's a little note from BigWooo and more about the visit:

"Yesterday Mike wanted to see the town. So we hopped in our very old dune buggy and went out for a look. That turned into a half day excursion mapping out a way to the old dirt road to La Purisima without using the pavement. Haven't had the buggy "off road" for quite some time. Half way through the trip it began to spit and sputter. I thought "how embarrassing, now he's going to have to walk on his day off!". Fortunately Mike was a mechanic in a past life and got it going again with a couple taps of his pocket knife on the fuel filter.

Under close supervision Don-Kay roams the front lot (in back he has about a acre where he can roam free). He loves the taste of our garden plants. He also enjoys scratch himself on solid objects, if he decides the satellite dish would be a good scratching post...bye bye internet :o "

Wooo had a better idea for a photo caption for this one "Here's Mike giving Don-Kay a lecture on what he can and can't eat":

Mike calls her his "protector" and knows she was sent to him for a reason. Solo got a worm prevention pill today and a little brushing.

Don Kay got brushed too (all I had was a scrub brush but I don't think he cared). Sorry no photo of him being brushed due to the large dust cloud it created!

longlegsinlapaz - 1-22-2011 at 01:44 PM

Alright!! I'm waiting to see which one of you is going to post the pics of Mike getting a beard trim?:lol::lol:

Gettin' pampered on the Trail

Mulegena - 1-22-2011 at 03:42 PM

Quote:

Mike calls her his "protector" and knows she was sent to him for a reason. Solo got a worm prevention pill today and a little brushing.

Solo is a doll. What a lady. Was this her first brushing? Looks like she's absolutely lovin' it!

btw, I've a friend in Northern Baja who is willing to adopt both Solo and DonKay.

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2011 at 04:08 PM

Solo is going to someone special that Mike will one day clarify publicly.

What he said when he was here: He wants to keep DonKay who really IS the coolest burro ever ... so, a while ago he was asking what the terms for taking him across the border are ? can he just ride her across ? he thought that wd be kinda fun. His main concern is whether DonKay needs to be quaranteened and if so, for how long and where, but I don't have the answers to those questions.

The picture with SurfDoc and Don Kay has to be one of the funniest ever !! Big eyed Mike !!

rts551 - 1-22-2011 at 05:21 PM

Enjoying the local culture

[Edited on 1-23-2011 by BajaNomad]

Mike/ Oladulce

David K - 1-22-2011 at 05:50 PM

Check u2u before Mike leaves San Juanico! Good news 2 weeks down the coast...:yes:

RANCHO AGUJA

rob - 1-22-2011 at 06:14 PM

Hi - Oladulce, could you let Mike know that he would be most welcome to visit/recuperate/stay at Rancho la Aguja on his way down this rather isolated stretch of the Pacific coast?Have big fenced fields too if Don-Kay wants to stretch his legs . . .

The only water between El Estero (west of Las Pocitas close to the beach/estuary) and Punta Conejo is one isolated fish camp. I have attached a Google map. Ranch coordinates are

23.988347, -110.901114

Let me know/U2U if further communications details are needed. Any idea of approx arrival date/s?

Thanks to DavidK for alerting me to Mike's approach - was dozing off.

rob

local-area.jpg - 46kB

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2011 at 06:21 PM

Rob - tell us about your neck of the woods ...... why La Aguja ?????

Jan. 22, 2011

David K - 1-22-2011 at 06:42 PM

One more day of rest at Scorpion Bay...

Mike is taking the weekend off:

Juan del Rio - 1-22-2011 at 09:47 PM

Big Woo and Mike are out and about on the mechanical, "Don-Kay's" for a little adventure about town today.

Solo and "Don-Kay" have been at the salon getting their nails done and a foot massage/pedicure. They will all be ready for the next leg for sure!

P1220786X.JPG - 41kB

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-23-2011 at 06:23 AM

Rancho la Aguja

rob - 1-23-2011 at 08:56 AM

This stretch of the Pacific coast (90m/145kms from the south end of Bahia Magdalena practically to Todos Santos) is uninhabited except for two or three ranches and a couple of fish camps. It is also very dry.

BahaBlanca - "Why Rancho la Aguja?" . . . er, as opposed to . . . what? Thought Mike would like a welcome mat out on a difficult stretch.

I would like to post a couple more pictures, but the software took exception to me posting more than one picture at a time - here's one of the north beach at the ranch.

+north-towards-conejo.jpg - 38kB

One other beach view . . .

rob - 1-23-2011 at 08:58 AM

beach-view-north.jpg - 15kB

David K - 1-23-2011 at 10:33 AM

Hi rob, to post multiple photos they need to be hosted off site and hot linked here with [IMG]... [/IMG] tags on each side of the photo url.

Many of us use Photobucket.com to host photos for posting here.

When you upload pictures from your PC to Photobucket... first click 'Customize your upload options' and then select 640x480 or 800x600 pixels for Large or full 15" screen size.

The tags are already set for posting the photos, just drag your mouse over the photo you want to use and the tag option pop up. Photobucket is free and make posting maps and photos a sinch.

oladulce - 1-23-2011 at 10:41 AM

Mike decided to stay one more day. He plans to head out tomorrow, Jan 24.

David K - 1-23-2011 at 10:48 AM

Nice!

There may be a Nomad in Lopez Mateos if Mike is heading that way... See u2u.

Any other Nomads around Magdalena Bay?

Graham's Burro

Juan del Rio - 1-23-2011 at 11:29 AM

Mike had mentioned that he wanted to stop by and see Graham's burro in La Purisima on his way out. He was told that Jim Dandy (bless his soul), had given the burro to a Rancher a few years before Dandy passed away. Does anyone know what happen to the Misión, the Burro???

dandy2X.jpg - 50kB

David K - 1-23-2011 at 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juan del Rio
Mike had mentioned that he wanted to stop by and see Graham's burro in La Purisima on his way out. He was told that Jim Dandy (bless his soul), had given the burro to a Rancher a few years before Dandy passed away. Does anyone know what happen to the Misión, the Burro???

Here's Graham transfering ownership of Misión to Jim Dandy, 13 years ago... (from Graham's web site):

Paulina - 1-23-2011 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
What he said when he was here: He wants to keep DonKay who really IS the coolest burro ever ... so, a while ago he was asking what the terms for taking him across the border are ? can he just ride her across ? he thought that wd be kinda fun. His main concern is whether DonKay needs to be quaranteened and if so, for how long and where, but I don't have the answers to those questions.

It sounds like Mike will have some homework to do to take DonKay stateside, but it can be done. Hope this info helps.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml

APHIS imposes precautions to keep out several equine diseases,[33] including glanders, dourine, equine infectious anemia (EIA), equine piroplasmosis (EP), Venezuelan equine encephalitis (VEE), and contagious equine metritis (CEM). APHIS also checks horses to prevent the introduction of ticks and other parasites.

Per APHIS,[33] (U.S. Dept. of Ag. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) Horses from Mexico must have a health certificate; pass negative tests for EIA, dourine, glanders, and EP at a USDA import center; and undergo precautionary treatments for external parasites at the port of entry. Horses from other Western Hemisphere countries must have the same tests as those from Mexico and, except for horses from Argentina, must be held in quarantine for at least 7 days as a check for VEE.

APHIS imposes similar testing and certification requirements on horses from other parts of the world but without the quarantine for VEE. These horses are held in quarantine—usually 3 days—or until tests are completed. Because the disease equine piroplasmosis (equine babesiosis) is endemic in Mexico but not established in the United States,[35] transportation of horses from Mexico to the United States requires evaluation of horses for the presence of this disease.

Transportation of horses from Mexico to the United States normally requires at least 3 days in quarantine, which is incompatible with most recreational equestrian travel across the border. A leading exception to this rule is the special waiver obtained by riders participating in the Cabalgata Binacional Villista (see cavalcade).

P<*)))>{

somomule - 1-23-2011 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
Quote:

It sounds like Mike will have some homework to do to take DonKay stateside, but it can be done. Hope this info helps.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/index.shtml

APHIS imposes precautions to keep out several equine diseases,[33] including glanders, dourine, equine infectious anemia (EIA), equine piroplasmosis (EP), Venezuelan equine encephalitis (VEE), and contagious equine metritis (CEM). APHIS also checks horses to prevent the introduction of ticks and other parasites.

Per APHIS,[33] (U.S. Dept. of Ag. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) Horses from Mexico must have a health certificate; pass negative tests for EIA, dourine, glanders, and EP at a USDA import center; and undergo precautionary treatments for external parasites at the port of entry. Horses from other Western Hemisphere countries must have the same tests as those from Mexico and, except for horses from Argentina, must be held in quarantine for at least 7 days as a check for VEE.

APHIS imposes similar testing and certification requirements on horses from other parts of the world but without the quarantine for VEE. These horses are held in quarantine—usually 3 days—or until tests are completed. Because the disease equine piroplasmosis (equine babesiosis) is endemic in Mexico but not established in the United States,[35] transportation of horses from Mexico to the United States requires evaluation of horses for the presence of this disease.

Transportation of horses from Mexico to the United States normally requires at least 3 days in quarantine, which is incompatible with most recreational equestrian travel across the border. A leading exception to this rule is the special waiver obtained by riders participating in the Cabalgata Binacional Villista (see cavalcade).

P<*)))>{

I guess all Mike needs now is a :

STAPLES "That was Easy Button" Sorry I couldn't resist.

I am sure that information is up to date and helpful should Mike decide to go forward with the task.

[Edited on 1-24-2011 by BajaNomad]

BajaBlanca - 1-23-2011 at 04:00 PM

thanks Rob for the explanation of la aguja referring to the hill by your place !!! I am sure your hospitality will be most welcomed !!! My question was not well-formed, that's for sure.

It wd indeed be nice to know what happened to Mision - I am guessing Graham knows the answer to that one.

Per APHIS,[33] (U.S. Dept. of Ag. Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service) Horses from Mexico must have a health certificate; pass negative tests for EIA, dourine, glanders, and EP at a USDA import center; and undergo precautionary treatments for external parasites at the port of entry.

The above does sound do-able. Get bill of health, get checked for 4 diseases and get vaccines over 3 days for the rest of the diseases .... and stay in quaranteen for 3 days to do this. I am assuming that horses and burros will get the same treatment.....

Mike - good for you for hanging out - from the pics it looks like all 3 of you are having a grand time !! Enjoy amigos !

Thanks Oladulce and Big Woooo and Juan del Rio for everything !!

oladulce - 1-23-2011 at 06:15 PM

Preparing for the next leg of their journey, it's dental hygiene day for Don Kay:

How do you feel about that Don Kay?

Paulina - 1-23-2011 at 06:59 PM

:yes:

Love that!

jajaja>*)))>{

David K - 1-23-2011 at 09:52 PM

Okay gang... I was gone for awhile today (life outside Baja Nomad!)... and had some nice u2u messages...

Looks like there are two Nomads offering 'oasis' sites between San Juanico and Todos Santos for Mike, Don-Kay and Solo:

Lopez Mateos and La Aguja.

It is still a very long stretch to the finish line near Cabo San Lucas!

somomule - 1-24-2011 at 06:41 AM

I thought I would let you know that Equine Infectious Anemia most commonly known as (Coggins’ Disease) is a blood test Don Kay would have to get done. It is NOT a shot he gets.

The kicker is a Coggin's test have to be sent off to a lab and can take 1-2 weeks to get the results back, at least in the states. Blood has to be drawn by a licensed vet and sent to an approved lab by the vet. Once the test comes back there is a USDA form that is issued to the animal owner to go with the animal for travel purposes.

Also many states require a Brand Inspection. It doesn't matter if the animal has an actual Brand or not many states have livestock inspectors that will require brand papers. An Brand inspector, inspects the animal for brands and other markings and fills out a form with a picture of an equine on it noting brands and other markings. A Brand Inspection Form along with proof of negative Coggins and a health certificate are required for travel with an equine through interstate commerce.

MORE ABOUT COGGINS:

Equine infectious anemia (EIA), or swamp fever, is a viral disease that occurs worldwide. The disease is usually spread by horse flies biting an infected horse, then biting a healthy horse. The disease can also be transmitted by the use of nonsterile needles and blood-contaminated surgical instruments.

There is no cure for EIA, so prevention is the key to controlling the disease. The Coggins test is a simple blood test that is widely accepted as a way of determining carriers of the disease. The Coggins test is often required to transport, show, sell, or board a horse. Coggins tests should be updated yearly. Owners of positive horses have to make the choice to put the horse down (euthanized) or have the animal permanently quarantined. Transportation of positive horses is prohibited.

bajacalifornian - 1-24-2011 at 06:47 AM

Ken. Have time before we see the group. I'll begin inquiry for vet/lab here in BCS.

somomule - 1-24-2011 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
Ken. Have time before we see the group. I'll begin inquiry for vet/lab here in BCS.

Sounds good, just thought I would clear that up so he could prepare and avoid delays.

Also their may be an expiration date on Coggins tests so be sure to ask how long it is good for to insure it is valid when he needs to show the papers.

Thanks for helping!

Ken

oladulce - 1-24-2011 at 08:28 AM

Mike does not plan to take Don Kay back across the border at this point. He would like to keep him at his place in Loreto to start. One reason he wants to spend a little time in La Purisima is to scope out a possible future for them both in that oasis.

He's fixin' to pack up Don Kay in a few minutes. Today's the first time he's had his hiking boots on for a while and he noticed that Solo has been excited since she saw the boots.

longlegsinlapaz - 1-24-2011 at 08:43 AM

Your casita just won't be the same without them!! Sincerely hope that Mike can work out a happy ending for them to stay together!! :bounce::bounce:

surfdoc - 1-24-2011 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Your casita just won't be the same without them!! Sincerely hope that Mike can work out a happy ending for them to stay together!! :bounce::bounce:

I agree... The trio is a blast to have around!

IMO if someone would help Mike sell his place in El Cajon.. he'd retire to Baja for good..

David K - 1-24-2011 at 09:27 AM

From his interview with Doug, he is a renter... and is paying rent for all the months he is in Baja... He also has a job to get back to, otherwise he might have just moved south?

Jan. 24, 2011

David K - 1-24-2011 at 09:21 PM

Mike and company walked about 10 miles today and are on the road to La Purisima... a couple miles from the pavement to San Juanico:

shari - 1-24-2011 at 09:32 PM

hey Rob...great news you will accomodate Mike and the gang...you wont be disappointed....better stock up on whiskey though!!!

Mike will enjoy La Purisima.

bajacalifornian - 1-24-2011 at 11:24 PM

Have a favorite?

David K - 1-25-2011 at 07:56 AM

I bet he isn't too fussy! I do not recall reading if he prefers Kentucky, Canadian or Irish???

desertcpl - 1-25-2011 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
I bet he isn't too fussy! I do not recall reading if he prefers Kentucky, Canadian or Irish???

I would think the WET one would work just fine

Bob H - 1-25-2011 at 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

I would think the WET one would work just fine

I would bet on Kentucky for sure!

Great photos brushing Don-Kay's teeth!

Juan del Rio - 1-25-2011 at 11:57 AM

As they were walking past yesterday on their way out of town, I asked Mike to bring Don-Kay into Juan y Juan's for a drink at the bar. Don-Kay would have nothing of it as much a Mike tried. As soon as he saw the concrete, he would not budge another inch. Turned him around and just gave him carrots on the outside. Oh well.

P1230002X.JPG - 41kB

BajaBlanca - 1-25-2011 at 12:48 PM

I guess DonKay wants to head off already !! Have fun on the way and in La Purissima Mike and gang !!

Jan. 25, 2011

David K - 1-25-2011 at 05:21 PM

Mike and ccompany walked about 15 miles today and are 4 miles from La Purisima. Camp is by a rancho along the river, just down from the paved road to La Purisima.

(The many yellow pins on my Google images are points along the 'El Camino Real' where it can be seen.)

Parting shots of "Los Tres Amigos Blancos" (as Mike would say!)

oladulce - 1-25-2011 at 07:26 PM

Packing up to leave Punta Pequeña

I have a little something in my eye as I say goodbye to Solo. I'm certainly not shedding a tear, sniff...sniff...

Walking with the Tres Amigos

Picked up a couple more friends as we head towards San Juanico

Mike, we'd all like to thank you for letting us take part in your adventure.

shari - 1-25-2011 at 07:35 PM

what a wonderful sight...Mike walking with the girls...I bet he LOVED that...good on ya ladies.

BajaBlanca - 1-25-2011 at 08:07 PM

Oladulce that was so neat of you to take such good care of the three amigos blancos ....

May the wind be at your back Mike so that the road is easier. Boy ! You are closer and closer to reaching your goal. Solo and DonKay look really good BTW.

Onto to La Purissima tomorrow and then Rob at Rancho Aguja .... hope you are taking lots of pics along the way since you are going on roads or paths that most of us will never see !!

BajaNomad - 1-25-2011 at 08:11 PM

Quote:
Onto to La Purissima tomorrow and then Rob at Rancho Aguja ....
I believe that Nomad "bajacalifornian" (Jeff?) is prepared to host Mike in Lopez Mateos - between La Purisima and Rob's place.

:biggrin:

Thanks to all!

-
Doug

David K - 1-25-2011 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Onto to La Purissima tomorrow and then Rob at Rancho Aguja ....
I believe that Nomad "bajacalifornian" (Jeff?) is prepared to host Mike in Lopez Mateos - between La Purisima and Rob's place.

:biggrin:

Thanks to all!

-
Doug

Okay, lets see at the huge expanse Mike has to walk...

On this map, tilted with NE at the top, you can see Mike's waypoints at the very top left... and rob's Rancho La Aguja location at the very bottom right (just past Punta Conejo).

In between is Bahia Magdalena... I added markers to the major towns most here are familiar with.

After La Purisima, Mike's next goal is 'bajacalifornian's place at Lopez Mateos... then it's a long walk to La Aguja! Puerto Cancun to Puerto Chale is about halfway between Lopez Mateos and La Aguja.

rob - 1-26-2011 at 10:52 AM

WHISKEY?? So THAT'S what Oladulce meant when she told me that Mike drank nothing but distilled stuff! I had naturally assumed water . .

All we have at the ranch is a bottle of Suntory Japanese whisky that I have been trying to give away for years - but it sounds like Mike may be sufficiently desperate . . .

There is one thing I was going to ask though. There were no rains here at all last year, and the field grass is pretty lousy - do you think I should get a couple of bales of alfalfa for Don-Kay?

rob

shari - 1-26-2011 at 02:19 PM

probably half a bale would be lots and if you can get a costal of Cantador, that would help DK a bunch...its like equine granola...a mix of grain and dates, sweet stuff etc.
You are going to enjoy Mike's tales.

oladulce - 1-26-2011 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
WHISKEY?? So THAT'S what Oladulce meant when she told me that Mike drank nothing but distilled stuff! I had naturally assumed water . .

All we have at the ranch is a bottle of Suntory Japanese whisky that I have been trying to give away for years - but it sounds like Mike may be sufficiently desperate . . .

There is one thing I was going to ask though. There were no rains here at all last year, and the field grass is pretty lousy - do you think I should get a couple of bales of alfalfa for Don-Kay?

rob

Must have been somebody else with the whiskey comment because all we had to offer him was TKT light (except for Juan del rio's margaritas one evening).

I'm sure that burro food would be greatly appreciated. Don Kay doesn't eat very much ( a flake in the am and a flake in the pm) and in the 3 full, and 2 partial days they were here, he'd barely eaten half of one bale.

Jan. 26, 2011

David K - 1-26-2011 at 06:44 PM

Mike and company are camped across the La Purisima river from 'El Pilon', about a half mile east of La Purisima.

They walked close to 5 miles today and that makes their January total and estimated 197 miles (they began January at La Bocana). I post the monthly and grand totals at the end of each month... They are getting close to the 800 mile point!

They very well could have walked more miles... I am estimating the distance between camping/ SPOT daily locatings either using the scale on Google Earth or the AAA map if they are sticking to roads shown on it.

rob - 1-27-2011 at 09:30 AM

Going in to La Paz tomorrow and will buy alfalfa and Cantador at the Forajera San Joaquin . . . thanks!

Due west of Las Pocitas on the coast is El Estero, a small community owned by my Mexican family. I will ask them to look out for Mike and post a map (does not appear on most maps I have seen).

David K - 1-27-2011 at 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Going in to La Paz tomorrow and will buy alfalfa and Cantador at the Forajera San Joaquin . . . thanks!

Due west of Las Pocitas on the coast is El Estero, a small community owned by my Mexican family. I will ask them to look out for Mike and post a map (does not appear on most maps I have seen).

Sounds great rob... I will add a marker to the Satellite Map showing 'El Estero'. The AAA map only shows a graded road from Las Pocitas going 10 miles to Santa Fe and a lesser road ending 3 miles past, not going all the way to the coast.

El Estero neighborhood

rob - 1-27-2011 at 01:40 PM

This might give an idea of the El Estero area - about the only place on the coast south of Puerto Chale where Mike and Don-Kay could find shelter/water.

There is a good road all the way from El Estero to Punta Conejo/La Aguja that is never more than a mile or so from the beach.

el-estero.jpg - 49kB

Jan. 27, 2011

David K - 1-27-2011 at 07:54 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo are at La Purisima for a second night.

GPS at same location shown yesterday.

Graham - 1-28-2011 at 12:52 PM

Sure has been great following Mike's progress and to see all the help and support he's received. Always brings back the memories.

I asked him to keep an eye out for my old burro Mision who passed through La Purisima in 1998 and ended up in happy retirement there for several years with Jim Dandy at the end of his 1000 mile journey from Tecate to Loreto.

Jim, who passed away a year or two ago was a wonderful character and a true Baja gentleman... he hosted Mision and me for several days in La Purisima.

Jim taking possession of Mision in 1998.

Looking across at El Pilon, near where Mike has been the last couple of days.

Kind reception we had passing school in La Purisima/San Isidro.

Good luck Mike as you follow the Pacific coast heading south. Again memories... this time with Bonny the burro in 1984... he looks rather like Don Kay.

Even had time for a few beers with the German engineers at that amazing wind and solar experimental facility they had there at Las Barrancas.

Jan. 28, 2011... A CHANGE???

David K - 1-28-2011 at 08:12 PM

After two nights in La Purisima, Mike (+ Don-Kay and Solo) has started traveling again.

However, instead of heading towards the Pacific as Mike said he was going to do from La Purisima, he instead is heading inland and south towards San Jose Comondu and San Miguel Comondu.

Now, he can still continue to the Pacific from the Comondu twin towns, but it adds 1-2 days of additional walking, being about 15 miles longer.

Maybe he learned of Graham's burro having a new home along this route and is going there to visit 'Mision'? He wanted to find Mision to see where he was following Jim Dandy's passing.

Maybe he decided to go to Loreto afterall? It was his original plan and he has friends (and a house) in Loreto, waiting for him there.

Once he leaves the Comondus we will know for sure if he is going to Loreto or to Lopez Mateos and down the Magdalena Bayshore.

[Edited on 1-29-2011 by David K]

David K - 1-29-2011 at 09:17 AM

Any thoughts?

TMW - 1-29-2011 at 10:22 AM

Maybe he is just taking a more scenic route. Less traffic etc.

bajacalifornian - 1-29-2011 at 12:54 PM

In discussion with folks in Lopez, all bets are he is headed for Loreto. Lopez has been passing out fliers at the beach with his story & picture on top. Town hopes he can be convinced to pass through Lopez via the San Javier road after Loreto. I explained he will do what he must do.

Jan. 29, 2011

David K - 1-29-2011 at 07:52 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo had a full long day walk... Their Spot signal arrived here at 6:03 PST (7:03 Baja Sur time)!

They are in San Jose Comondu, having walked 16 miles today!

In talking with others who met with Mike on the trail, odds are he is NOT going to Loreto. The next new location Spot signal will confirm that, since Comondu is the 'fork in the road' between going to Loreto or going to Lopez Mateos.

The road from La Purisima south to Comondu parallels and is crossed by the Jesuit's El Camino Real which are what most of the yellow push pins are marking, on my Google Earth map.

San Jose Comondu is just 1.7 miles from San Miguel Comondu. Mike's signal was sent from the road connecting the two, just south of 'downtown' San Jose Comondu.

Another note... until today, Mike has sent out just one signal each afternoon. Because we cannot tell what road he is using or on if there are more choices in routes, he has activated the feature that sends a signal several times an hour during the day... starting today!

rob - 1-30-2011 at 10:07 AM

We were talking at supper last night about Mike's route - walking south from Loreto on the Cortez side would be TOUGH! I have boated that coast several times and could not conceive of WALKING it! There are strips of beaches, but mainly craggy headlands and cliffs - the only real through route is Highway 1.

At Nopolo is the first challenge - you really would have to walk along the highway - and the romance of that (not to mention the danger) would surely wear off fast.

Anyway - should he come this way - we will be ready!

David K - 1-30-2011 at 10:20 AM

He hasn't turned on his SPOT tracker this morning (yet) as of a few minutes ago... However, it is not likely he will go to Loreto from what Mike was saying at Asuncion. He doesn't want the burro to climb up the sierra.

oladulce - 1-30-2011 at 11:36 AM

I don't profess to be the all-knowing about the Tres Amigos, but as one of last posters here to talk with Mike, you guys on the Pacific can expect to see their little dust cloud coming down your road at some point. He still has no plans to go to Loreto.

Whether folks in Comondu advised him of more water opportunities along his current route or he's exploring quiet, temperate hamlets as possible future residences, it's hard to say.

When we were looking at his maps here in Punta Pequeña he wasn't exactly sure which route he was going to take from La Purisima to Lopez Mateos. He asked me to send David K a note that he would turn on the "tracking" feature of his Spot device so his path could be monitored and maybe prevent some online concern if he changed his course.

It's very cool that it looks like he's exploring the Comondus. He mentioned that he only visited his Loreto home seasonally and didn't go there in there in the heat. But he's looking towards fulltime retirement very soon and I think may be keeping his eyes open for new possibilities.

I wonder if that funny burro and guardian angel pup will have an impact on Mike's future decisions that he never anticipated.;D

[Edited on 1-30-2011 by oladulce]

desertcpl - 1-30-2011 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce . He mentioned that he only visited his Loreto home seasonally and didn't go there in there in the heat. But he's looking towards fulltime retirement very soon and I think may be keeping his eyes open for new possibilities.

I wonder if that funny burro and guardian angel pup will have an impact on Mike's future decisions that he never anticipated.;D

I was thinking the same thing

Bob H - 1-30-2011 at 12:00 PM

If it were me, I would not be able to part with Don-Kay and Solo after bonding with them like Mike has. I don't know how Graham did it. Should be interesting to see what happens when this trek is finished.

shari - 1-30-2011 at 12:02 PM

I bet Mike read my trip report about the awesome "spirits" of Comondu and decided to check it out...I dont doubt Don Kay is flirting with that burro that was in our front yard there!...he may never leave there!

David K - 1-30-2011 at 12:07 PM

I just checked again, and he hasn't turned on his SPOT tracker yet. Perhaps he is hanging in San Jose Comondu an extra day?

Jan. 30, 2011

David K - 1-30-2011 at 07:35 PM

SPOT signal sent tonight from same location: San Jose Comondu.

Must be nice in Baja's Shangra la!

LaTijereta - 1-31-2011 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
SPOT signal sent tonight from same location: San Jose Comondu.

Must be nice in Baja's Shangra la!

A lot of places to hide down there under the palms!:tumble:

Skipjack Joe - 1-31-2011 at 01:42 PM

What a nice looking place. Just gets greener and greener as you go on.

David K - 1-31-2011 at 02:04 PM

UPDATE... Mike, Don-Kay and Solo are heading south from San Miguel Comondu towards the Pacific... and Lopez Mateos! :bounce:

His live SPOT satellite signal as of 10 minutes ago shows him about 10 miles from San Jose Comondu, near where the graded road leaves the Comondu river canyon, southbound... 2009 Baja Almanac Map 16, G4 near 'Medio Corral'.

bajacalifornian - 1-31-2011 at 02:12 PM

We're following along on an old Atlas of topo maps. Covers are gone, or I'd say more.

David K - 1-31-2011 at 04:59 PM

Well he was at the bottom of that scan at noon today... I will go get his position for tonight... stand by!

Jan. 31, 2011

David K - 1-31-2011 at 06:24 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 13 miles from San Jose Comondu today...

Because it is the end of the month, I have the total estimated distances traveled in January, along with a recap of the previous months:

This is the estimated distance south Mike has traveled... actual miles walked are probably higher with up and down gullies and side walks from the trail he is using.

OCT. Tecate to Colonia V. Guerrero: 219 miles (26 walking days, 8.4 avg. miles per day)

NOV. Col. V. Guerrero to Punta Maria: 192 miles (25 walking days, 7.7 miles per day)

DEC. Punta Maria to La Bocana: 171 miles, walking (16 walking days, 10.7 miles per day)

JAN. 2011, La Bocana to south of Comondu: 233 miles, 22 days walking, 10.6 miles per day)

TRIP TOTAL (so far): 815 MILES

BajaBlanca - 1-31-2011 at 06:41 PM

goooooo Mike and DonKay and Solo !!!!!!!!!!!!! can't wait to see you when this is all said and done !!!

David K - 2-1-2011 at 12:12 AM

Big fiesta welcome for them at Lopez Mateos... Did you see 'bajacalifornian's post on it (in a seperate thread)?

David K - 2-1-2011 at 09:05 AM

Here's the link to bajacalifornian's invite: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=50763

[Edited on 2-1-2011 by David K]

David K - 2-1-2011 at 05:39 PM

Okay... Mike is walking an extra long day perhaps?

As of 4:35 PST (5:35 Baja Sur), no SPOT and he did not activate his tracking, so no following him today like we could the past two walking days.

I am standing by!:biggrin:

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  16