BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  16

David K - 2-13-2011 at 04:55 PM

Mike and crew have walked about 14 miles today and are camped at the south end of the dry lake 'Llanos Hiray' (about 2 miles north of the Puerto Cancun road... some 8 miles from Hwy. 1...

David K - 2-13-2011 at 11:04 PM

I presume you all know that the dashed high-light line is where Mike and Don-Kay got a lift... The other place this happened was between Vizcaino and Bahia Asuncion.

Feb. 14, 2011

David K - 2-14-2011 at 06:14 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have wondered across harsh deserts long enough and have come out to Highway One, and are camped about 4-5 miles north of Santa Rita...

No parades, no crowds of school kids, no cold beer... You wanted raw hardship, well I think that may be the case.

I estimated their miles today at 14... Now, the satellite images and maps:

It is a good thing he has his SPOT tracker turned on as this desert is criss crossed with many roads, almost none are on the Baja Almanac or AAA map he has been using the past two days!

bajacalifornian - 2-14-2011 at 08:10 PM

In Lopez, Mike commented he had lost 40 pounds since his trip began.

woody with a view - 2-14-2011 at 08:33 PM

por k? let 'er rip!

Feb. 15, 2011

David K - 2-15-2011 at 08:24 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have walked south to Santa Rita, then part-way towards Puerto Chale today. They are camped at Rancho El Médano, after walking about 9 miles today.

So far, Mike has walked 144 miles in February and 959 miles total since he began near Tecate on October 1, 2010.

gnukid - 2-15-2011 at 09:04 PM

I'm concerned, there is large family with only women orange ranchers left there, he seems to be in the vicinity, can he escape?

shari - 2-15-2011 at 09:07 PM

oh boy...i bet THAT will be a good chapter!!!

Barry A. - 2-15-2011 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
oh boy...i bet THAT will be a good chapter!!!

---------or not---------may be a gap in the narritive. :lol:

Barry

rdrrm8e - 2-16-2011 at 11:29 AM

From what I've seen........Don Kay may be the one in serious peril here.

Just sayin';)

David K - 2-16-2011 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rdrrm8e
From what I've seen........Don Kay may be the one in serious peril here.

Just sayin';)

I don't care who you are, that's funny!:lol::lol::lol:

Feb. 16, 2011

David K - 2-16-2011 at 07:05 PM

Mike and company walked 12 miles today and are camped just over 2 miles south of Puerto Chale, on the water's edge.

Here is the space look at the distance to the next Baja Nomad oasis for Mike, Don-Kay and Solo... La Aguja and the home of 'rob':

MAPS

David K - 2-17-2011 at 08:48 AM

Rob, he is moving along and may be at La Aguja in 5 days...?

rob - 2-17-2011 at 09:02 AM

Watching progress! I hope Mike tapped the locals at Puerto Chale for route info - he must be an old hand at this by now - as there is an easy way and a hard way to get to El Estero/Rancho Santa Fe.

Although Mike is moving over lonely and remote country, the locals here are "pure Baja" and he could not be in better hands.

Laid in supplies for Donk, but will wait til Mike gets here to address whatever he needs - I am certain he will want a side trip to La Paz.

From the ranch south to Todos Santos, ranches are more plentiful and the countryside a little kinder - about 75 miles down the beach, longer by road.

surfdoc - 2-17-2011 at 09:14 AM

David... anyway you could estimate when he might reach Todos Santos ??

I have a small place 8 miles north on the Playita and was toying with the thought of meeting him down there..

Feelin the need for another DonKay snoggin :D

Appreciate all the maps... been cool to watch!

David K - 2-17-2011 at 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
David... anyway you could estimate when he might reach Todos Santos ??

I have a small place 8 miles north on the Playita and was toying with the thought of meeting him down there..

Feelin the need for another DonKay snoggin :D

Appreciate all the maps... been cool to watch!

From La Aguja to Todos Santos looks to be a 5 day walk... maybe 4 to your place? But, there are many variables... Best to stay in contact with 'rob' and get an idea when Mike leaves his place to continue south... You can u2u rob your home's GPS or location so Mike will know where to go.

That goes for any other Nomads who are between La Aguja and Cabo San Lucas... If you would like to meet Mike or give him and Don-Kay/ Solo a place to rest, let 'rob' know so he can print out your location for Mike.

[Edited on 2-17-2011 by David K]

Feb. 17, 2011

David K - 2-17-2011 at 08:35 PM

MIKE, DON-KAY, & SOLO are RESTING Today! Same location as yesterday, a couple miles down the lagoon shore from Puerto Chale.

rob - 2-18-2011 at 05:50 PM

Mike came a ways today after all - he is now camped at Rancho Bueno. The mileage chart (ATCF -as the crow flies lookss like this)

Rancho Bueno to El Estero (next big arroyo/estuary south. Estuary is closed, so he can walk down the beach) 9.5m
El Estero - Boca Guadaloupe (next estuary) 8.6m
BG - Punta Conejo (next sharpish point) 12.5m
PC - Rancho la Aguja 9.0m

TOTAL (rounded) 40 miles, say 42 miles

Mike can do 14 miles/day if he wants, could be here in 3 days! Will start looking on Monday and have beer cold for Tuesday.

Feb. 18, 2011

David K - 2-18-2011 at 06:50 PM

Mike and his friends Don-Kay and Solo walked about 10 miles today along the mangroves and are camped at Loma Maria fish camp...

bajacalifornian - 2-18-2011 at 08:45 PM

I envy you Rob. After one cold one, go for the big bottle!

spelling

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by bajacalifornian]

Feb. 19, 2011

David K - 2-19-2011 at 08:18 PM

Today Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 10 miles along the coast... the second half of today's walk looks like they were right on the beach!

Their camp (or last GPS position) is a mile south of the big arroyo, down stream from Rancho Santa Fe...

[Edited on 2-20-2011 by David K]

Two days to go . . .

rob - 2-20-2011 at 09:16 AM

Happily for Mike and Donk, the estuary at El Estero is closed (no rain last year), avoiding a tedious 4-5 mile detour upstream to cross.

Looks like a (relatively) easy 2.5-3 day walk for the team down to La Aguja. He can stay on the beach or use the coastal road which is about .5 mile inland - sandy but firm bed.

Great walking weather - sunny with a cool and building NW sea breeze.

rob

19-feb-route.jpg - 47kB

Bob H - 2-20-2011 at 09:54 AM

What an incredible journey Mike is having!!!!!!! :wow:

wilderone - 2-20-2011 at 11:40 AM

Now that stretch is definitely on my "list". This is killin me.

BooJumMan - 2-20-2011 at 04:32 PM

I'm sure he'll run into a good crew of people at Conejo. Nardo will be the first one to greet him I'm sure :)

Feb. 20, 2011: 1,003 miles!

David K - 2-20-2011 at 09:57 PM

Today, Mike and Don-Kay have walked over 1,000 miles since the start of their adventure on Oct. 1, 2010 near Tecate. Solo joined them soon after...

Tonight they are camped just inland from the fish camp 'Flor de Malva' having walked 12 miles down the coast.

Almost here . . .

rob - 2-21-2011 at 09:21 AM

I figured just a hair over 16 miles from his camping spot at Flor de Malva to the ranch gate - Mike and his family will probably not make it to the ranch tonight. We'll check on him this evening.

I attached a shot of Punta Conejo for those who haven't been down this way - one of Baja Sur's better surfing spots.

punta-conejo.jpg - 44kB

David K - 2-21-2011 at 09:30 AM

Let him know tonight that he has passsed the 1,000 mile mark yesterday. Thans rob, and have a good visit!

Feb. 21, 2011

David K - 2-21-2011 at 09:25 PM

Mike and company walked about 11 miles today and they are camped 3 1/2 miles from La Aguja.

David K - 2-22-2011 at 08:41 AM

I hope Mike has a nice visit and rest at rob's place... He will be there this morning.

Contact!

rob - 2-22-2011 at 11:02 AM

Mike started moving again this morning and we went out to meet him - the whole team is in fine shape - said he stopped early yesterday evening because he met a professional German photographer who took a LOT of shots . . .

Here is one of Mike and Ramon, the ranch manager and his son Efrain.

Will post more when he gets settled in.

rob

mike-1.jpg - 42kB

shari - 2-22-2011 at 02:55 PM

rob... please give mike a big slobbery kiss from me!!!:tumble:
can I call your place to chat with him?...u2u your #

Feb. 22, 2011

David K - 2-22-2011 at 04:50 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have arrived at La Aguja, 1,018 miles walking distance from Tecate!

They have about 100 miles to go to reach the tip of Baja, ending their southbound journey near Cabo San Lucas.

That is about 10 days, or less typical walking time for them.

Any Baja Nomads (or TalkBaja.com members) in the Todos Santos or south region who can offer a final rest stop for Mike and company please contact 'rob' of La Aguja via u2u or this thread to get the location to Mike, before he leaves La Aguja. Otherwise follow his daily progress here and try and find him.

Good job getting so far south Mike! I look forward to meeting you when you return to El Cajon! I have all the maps and mileage notes saved for you that I have been scanning for BajaNomad.com and TalkBaja.com

Have a great final 100 miles to Cabo!!!:bounce::bounce:

rob - 2-22-2011 at 06:13 PM

Happy to report that Mike, Don Kay and Sola are resting comfortably - Mike had a hot shower and hair/beard cut (photos at 11), Don Kay is munching alfalfa and buffel, and Sola is giving our Rottenweiler pups a faceful of teeth.

They are cheerful and all in great shape.

Tomorrow into La Paz and shopping.

David K - 2-22-2011 at 07:40 PM

Thanks Rob... you are an oasis!

surfdoc - 2-22-2011 at 09:48 PM

Right on Rob.... gonna U2U ya for when Mike may hit North of Todos...
Need a day to get there from Asuncion!

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2011 at 09:53 PM

wowwwwwwwwwwwwww great news that they have a rest spot and have arrived after so much expectation ... enjoy yourselves !!

HI MIKE
HI DON KAY
HI CUTIE SOLO

wilderone - 2-23-2011 at 09:43 AM

Only about 10 more days? Rob, could you get details of Mike's specific route for these last days? Hugs to all.

Nan&D - 2-23-2011 at 06:56 PM

Have a great last 100 Mike!
Amazing to see the Tip appear on that last map.

Bob H - 2-23-2011 at 10:57 PM

David K... you mentioned that you look forward to meeting Mike when he returns to El Cajon. Is there a special occasion planned for when he gets back to the US for those of us who cannot meet him in Cabo?

What a trip!

wilderone - 2-24-2011 at 08:33 AM

Who's going or who wants to go to Cabo to celebrate with Mike?

bajaking76 - 2-24-2011 at 08:45 AM

This would be a perfect time to take advantage of the Alaska Airlines deals....Go see Mike in Cabo....:smug:

David K - 2-24-2011 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
David K... you mentioned that you look forward to meeting Mike when he returns to El Cajon. Is there a special occasion planned for when he gets back to the US for those of us who cannot meet him in Cabo?

What a trip!

Not yet... When Mike called me from Shari's he asked that we meet, have dinner, etc. I will turn over the maps I have been highlighting of his route and the mileage estimates for each day.

Maybe a bigger event is an idea? I got a nice little u2u from Mike last night...

Mulegena - 2-24-2011 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Who's going or who wants to go to Cabo to celebrate with Mike?

I do!
Assuming my sled dog team can mush through this snow that's supposed to hit California all the way to the ocean, I plan to drive the lower coastal route south to the border and down into Beloved Baja very soon.
In addition to hooking up with Shari and her pajama-wearing booty-calling whales, I'd love to join with friends to greet Mike & Company as they finish their journey of a lifetime, perhaps walk the last few miles with them.
Come on, Ever'body, let's just do this!

rob - 2-24-2011 at 09:26 AM

Mike, Linda and I spent the day shopping in La Paz yesterday - the smoked tuna taco at Tacos La Paz seemed to agree with Mike . . . then to Chedraui and Wallyworld and home to what I hope is not the last homely house on his trip.

Last night we investigated the $10 bottle of Scotch he found at Gayocla - not bad at all!

Today we will discuss his route to Todos and figure out the length of this leg of the journey. Will post later, together with pictures of Sr Younghusband post-haircut.

Don Kay is eating buffel grass and alfalfa (surrounded by admiring rancheros) and Solo is snarfing all the croquettas she can find and teaching the pups how to treat a lady - usually with teeth. But that's how guys learn.

BajaNomad - 2-24-2011 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

What a trip!

Not yet... When Mike called me from Shari's he asked that we meet, have dinner, etc. I will turn over the maps I have been highlighting of his route and the mileage estimates for each day.

Maybe a bigger event is an idea? I got a nice little u2u from Mike last night...

Mike indicated to me a desire to have an event in San Diego after he returns. However, it's difficult to plan something if we are unsure of the date he might actually return to San Diego; have pictures prepared; etc.

So, I'd imagine this would be something that's thought about - and planned for - more after he's arrived in Cabo (and/or even San Diego).

:biggrin:

-
Doug

rob - 2-24-2011 at 11:04 AM

Mike and I were just planning his trip to Todos Santos - he plans to leave tomorrow and calculates it will take between 5 and 7 days - that would make arrival in TS somewhere between next Monday and Wed (Mar 1-3).

Surfdoc, Mike would really like to take you up on your offer, but needs better directions to your Pastora place (TODAY IF POSSIBLE!!), failing which you would need to intercept him by following SPOT.

bajacalifornian - 2-24-2011 at 12:17 PM

Looks like Mike will cross the finish line at the Cabo Police Station based on arrival time of two daughters & one grand-daughter in Cabo to greet him. Working date is presently Saturday, March 19 for reception at the Station (daughters tentatively arriving the 18th).

Along with a horse trailer, negotiations are underway with quality
hotels offering discounted rates & more, for those wishing to be present.

Presently, Mike, daughters, myself, Mulegena & Shari are on the short list for rooms.

Kindly U2U within 7 days should you choose to stay along with this developing group. No info yet of exact hotel or pricing, but expect it to be hard to beat. Can more closely dial it in with an accurate count.

David K - 2-24-2011 at 01:25 PM

This is so wonderful you guys! Now, this is the wealth of being Baja Nomads! It can be fun and festive to help others or just do nice things. :light::cool:

surfdoc - 2-24-2011 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
Surfdoc, Mike would really like to take you up on your offer, but needs better directions to your Pastora place (TODAY IF POSSIBLE!!), failing which you would need to intercept him by following SPOT.

Sent ya a U2U.... may not be able to swing a run this soon. Mikes moving faster then I anticipated.
Here's a link to my place.. best I can do is google earth.. but it'll show whereit is.
At the minimum my buddy Adam is staying at the house directly in front of me, and has better accomidations.
I'll know more tonight...
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=23.527288,-110.285461...

[Edited on 2-24-2011 by surfdoc]

[Edited on 2-25-2011 by BajaNomad]

surfdoc - 2-24-2011 at 04:17 PM

I don't think the link works... sorry will try later..

BillP - 2-24-2011 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rob

Sent ya a U2U.... may not be able to swing a run this soon. Mikes moving faster then I anticipated.
Here's a link to my place.. best I can do is google earth.. but it'll show whereit is.
At the minimum my buddy Adam is staying at the house directly in front of me, and has better accomidations.
<http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=23.527288,-110.285461&spn=0.000816,0.002631&t=h&z=19>

Stan's Link

David K - 2-24-2011 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by rob

<http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=23.527288,-110.285461&spn=0.000816,0.002631&t=h&z=19>

Here are those GPS waypoints on Google Earth (Flag marks the spot):

Leaving day later

rob - 2-24-2011 at 05:40 PM

Despite all efforts to provide the cold and austere "adventurer type" welcome demanded by Skipjack Joe, Mike has decided to stay another day! I am just off to switch off the power and hot water to his room . . .

He now plans to leave Sat AM, with an ETA in Todos Santos of Wed/Thur next week (2/3 Mar). Plans for south of Todos are still somewhat unclear - any help on the route would be welcome. The thought of having to hike down that TS-Cabo highway is not particularly attractive, what with that high-speed traffic, road work etc etc.

Thanks for the link BillP - works fine.

rob

ROUTE.jpg - 33kB

monoloco - 2-24-2011 at 05:56 PM

Rob, I believe if he gets south of San Pedrito he can go all the way to Cabo on the beach with just a few short detours inland around headlands like Los Cerritos point.

David K - 2-24-2011 at 08:10 PM

Either the beach or inland... so he has ranchos for water and burro food.

Mike, don't forget to activate your tracker each day so we can see what route you are on.

Almost there! 1,100+ miles on foot!!!:o

monoloco - 2-24-2011 at 08:34 PM

It will be a lot longer if he goes inland with lots of changes in elevation. I'd be happy to ferry supplies if he needs anything.

BajaBlanca - 2-24-2011 at 08:54 PM

does mike have a place in todos santos to stay ????

surfdoc - 2-24-2011 at 09:07 PM

I'm out for running south..However my place is a safe camp spot for mike, and available...
Trying to contact mi amigo Adam who is at the \case directly infront of me to see if he'll still be there..

But for sure if Mike wants he can stay under or on the deck at the Ranchita.

THANK YOU for cleaning up my link attempt!

tiotomasbcs - 2-25-2011 at 06:57 AM

Amigos, I'll try to run up to Las Playitas today or tomorrow and see who is around. La Pastora is a great beach and meeting place for the Surfing Tribes. Good overnite if SurfDoc can't connect. Pesky Boyz, let's get together for a discussion of possible routes. Mono, Dorado Don, etc. David K, does the interior road south of Todos Santos connect from El Aguaje and San Pedro de la Soledad south to La Candelaria and then into Cabo?? Pre Run in our trucks can be done! Vamanos, muchachos. Tio

monoloco - 2-25-2011 at 07:11 AM

Tio, those roads do connect, but IMO would be a confusing round about way with lots of ups and downs, it seems to me the easiest way would be to take the back road through Todos to Punta Lobos then parallel the highway to the San Pedrito arroyo then back to the beach all the way to Cabo. At El Aguaje you have to turn and follow the arroyo to get to the road to San Vicente which connects to the Candelaria road.

dtutko1 - 2-25-2011 at 07:21 AM

If Mike takes the coastal road through El Pescadero, we have a place just meters off the road. Large palapa, water and hot shower, can arrange for hay, dog food, and happy hour/dinner. There are several locals that would like to assist in any way we could. my mx # is 612-148-3478

shari - 2-25-2011 at 07:29 AM

I vote for a Pesky Boys pachanga...guys you wont regret it!!!!!

Tio...you CAN do this man...you and Mike will be bro's.

It was great talking to you Mike and your daughter sounds wonderful too and is trying to score a cheap seat on alaska air but they might all be gone. Go Mike Go!!!!

David K - 2-25-2011 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1
If Mike takes the coastal road through El Pescadero, we have a place just meters off the road. Large palapa, water and hot shower, can arrange for hay, dog food, and happy hour/dinner. There are several locals that would like to assist in any way we could. my mx # is 612-148-3478

Do you have the GPS waypoint for your house? Post it, I will make a Google Earth image of it, like I did for SurfDoc's. If you don't want the spot published, send the waypoint to rob's u2u so Mike can enter it in his GPS.

monoloco - 2-25-2011 at 08:56 AM

You are correct ridge, a lot of it is soft, but some of that route could be travelled on roads that parallel the beach, also with the road construction there are dirt paths along the highway where cars do not travel.

bajacalifornian - 2-25-2011 at 09:16 AM

Anyone know the distance from Migrino to the Cabo Police Station?

Apparently Migrino is the point Mike makes the transition from the outback into traffic & things disagreeable to Donk. His concern of course is how far he has to follow the highway.

dtutko1 - 2-25-2011 at 09:33 AM

my cordinates are 23-21-35.62 N and 110-11-22.37 W

David K - 2-25-2011 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian

Apparently Migrino is the point Mike makes the transition from the outback into traffic & things disagreeable to Donk. His concern of course is how far he has to follow the highway.

I just made a series of 10 images from Migriño to Cabo San Lucas off Google Earth... stand by for posting...

David K - 2-25-2011 at 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1
my cordinates are 23-21-35.62 N and 110-11-22.37 W

If the dashes represent to seperate degrees, minutes and seconds (at WGS84), I have the following... (let me know if this in't the spot)

David K - 2-25-2011 at 11:05 AM

Quote:

If someone gives me the police station GPS, I could show it.

Here is the coast, as it looked in 2009 from Migriño to Cabo San Lucas (9 images):

bajacalifornian - 2-25-2011 at 02:43 PM

This is a please. There has to be a buddy with a buddy with a hand-held GPS. Run out to the police station and do the man overboard thing. Give it to David K, and you'll be doing Mike a big favor.

Preparing to leave La Aguja

rob - 2-25-2011 at 05:18 PM

Mike is busy packing and preparing for leaving tomorrow . . . he thanks each and every one for their ongoing support. He is leaning towards the general advice to forget the east/mountain side of Highway 19 south of Todos Santos, and will follow the advice to stay on or near the beach.

Mike tells me that the beach has generally not worked well for him - Donk has a tough time in soft sand and tides allow only about 4 hours a day firm going. His best bet (as advised) would appear to be to use tracks parallel to the beach.

We are having a steak night at the ranch - porterhouse from our own steer with creamed garden spinach, potatoes and salad.

rob

Mike-at-La-Aguja.jpg - 47kB

woody with a view - 2-25-2011 at 05:34 PM

good job Rob!!!

skipowell - 2-25-2011 at 05:48 PM

Forget about meeting Mike in Cabo I want to come to Rob's for dinner tonight!
Appears that another Nomad once again took good care of Mike!
I sure enjoy reading about his travels
Thanks to all of you are helping make this story!

David K - 2-25-2011 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
This is a please. There has to be a buddy with a buddy with a hand-held GPS. Run out to the police station and do the man overboard thing. Give it to David K, and you'll be doing Mike a big favor.

That would be fine... but don't stress too much over it... Mike has made it over 1,000 miles so far, so if he needs to find the estación de pólicia in San Lucas town, I am sure he will. Kids love to help strangers find things in their towns... and the man with a burro will attract kids... right Mike?

rob, you have some photos of the newer, clean shaved Mike to show us?

surfdoc - 2-25-2011 at 08:51 PM

Great talking with Mike tonight.... sounds stoked to continue on his quest...
Talked about turning around and doing it again LOL...

Glad to say he's hooked up with GPS #'s to my place just north of todos.. and my best amigo Adam is ready to hook up and give him a nice stay for the night...

Looking forward to hearing he's safe and enjoying a tequilla or Cerveza from my deck in La playita!

BajaBlanca - 2-25-2011 at 09:04 PM

way to go surfdoc !!!

happy walking tomorrow mike !!

one of my new friends uncle lives in todos santos and may be waiting for you too .... he grows organic herbs and exports to the states....

You asked for it . . .

rob - 2-26-2011 at 07:54 AM

Here is Mike, pre- and post-haircut. He will be descending from breakfast shortly to a crowd of fans and will be heading south on the old coast road.

haircut.jpg - 21kB

David K - 2-26-2011 at 08:30 AM

So he is keeping his Baja Beard?:cool:

Mike heads south

rob - 2-26-2011 at 10:38 AM

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began . . "

Godspeed Mike!

+Mike-leaving-3.jpg - 44kB

bajacalifornian - 2-26-2011 at 07:34 PM

Nicely done Rob, and Linda.

Feb. 26, 2011

David K - 2-26-2011 at 09:36 PM

Wow, Mike, Don-Kay and Solo are on the move, again!

Just over 10 miles south from La Aguja today:

tiotomasbcs - 2-27-2011 at 07:12 AM

Beautiful words, Rob, and photo! Our weather here in Pescadero/TS has been a little foggy but clears with day temps on mid 70s with 15 to 20 mph n/w winds. Nice but not summer glass! Tribal council here feels the coastal route is best, esp Monoloco who knows the area best as he has explored via motorcycle. Party-Pachanga on at Donnie Boyz casita here in Pescadero near the beach in the Huerta or farming area. Come on over Nomads! What route did Graham MacIntosh take when traveling thru here into Cabo?? Did Mike pre run/walk this area? There are many beautiful Rocky headlands and gorgeous coves and beaches but no coastal camino. Looking forward to our visit with Mike and Co. Sale, Tio

El Jefe - 2-27-2011 at 12:09 PM

For DK

The Cabo police station that I am familiar with is on the outskirts of town way up the hill to the north, on Hwy towards Todos Santos.

22 55'08.21N 109 58'14.94 on Google Earth.

monoloco - 2-27-2011 at 12:12 PM

There's another one down by the fancy mall on the marina.

El Jefe - 2-27-2011 at 12:26 PM

I'm not surprised that there is another station. But I'm wondering, why end the trip at the police station?

bajajudy - 2-27-2011 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Jefe
I'm not surprised that there is another station. But I'm wondering, why end the trip at the police station?

Me, too, Jefe
DK what is his ETA for San Lucas?

monoloco - 2-27-2011 at 01:18 PM

One reason might be that the station by the mall is about the only place in downtown Cabo San Lucas where you can park a horse trailer. There is a huge public parking lot there.

bajacalifornian - 2-27-2011 at 02:05 PM

You nailed it. "On the outskirts of town way up the hill to the north, on Hwy towards Todos Santos". Two things: Donk don't like the inskirts, & Mike in his own way finds it fitting, the police station.

Migrino is the bottom of the funnel, road from the outback, to his personal finish line.

shari - 2-27-2011 at 02:38 PM

I dunno....I'm thinkin Don Kay and his entourage in a glass bottom boat out to the arch would be cool!!! and Skipjack would love it!:biggrin:

David K - 2-27-2011 at 11:23 PM

Hi Guys,

Sorry I am so late getting today's map and location image on Nomad... my PC is runny muy muy despacio and we were gone all day until a couple hours ago.

Perhaps because I am tired, but which police station is Mike going to? Why a police station?... I don't know why!... Just reading the thread every day like the rest of you! :biggrin::light: and I don't know or remember if a reason was guiven other than a neutral location where some validation of Mike's arrival could be made. Like the original runners of the Baja peninsula arriving in La Paz in the 1960's!

Feb. 27, 2011

David K - 2-27-2011 at 11:46 PM

Mike, Don-Kay, and Solo walked close to 14 miles today... about 10 miles down the coasline to Los Inocentes, then inland about 3-4 miles... They seem to be on the road shown on the AAA map...

bajacalifornian - 2-28-2011 at 06:26 PM

Fresh in. This is by and between Mike & family. Need contacts up the line to pass this message to Mike.

Two of Mike's daughters & 3 grand daughters have booked a cruise docking
Cabo 7 AM March 17th. Grand daughters are 16, 17, & 18.

Mike planed to lag, meeting them the 19th. That changes now. After docking, they will transfer to the police station and spend the day they have celebrating with Mike. Ship leaves Cabo at 5. They have a window from 7 AM - 3 PM only, March 17.

Feb. 28, 2011

David K - 2-28-2011 at 06:51 PM

Today Mike and the crew walked about 13 miles...

Their Feb. total is 241 miles (the most of any month!).

Their total walking mileage south is now 1,056 miles.

Oct. 219 miles
Nov. 192 miles
Dec. 171 miles
Jan. 233 miles
Feb. 241 miles

shari - 2-28-2011 at 07:32 PM

WOW...That will be a fun way for Mike's daughters to get to Cabo!!! I'm sure Mike can tear himself away from the Pesky boys and step up the pace and be there on the 17th...and this also gives all you Nomads down south a date to go to Cabo for some shopping and a finish line fiesta with Mike and gang....sure wish I could be there but I'll be kissing whales on the 17th.

[Edited on 3-1-2011 by shari]

David K - 3-1-2011 at 09:09 AM

He will need to slow down:light: Maybe a break at SurfDoc's and dtutko1's?

tiotomasbcs - 3-1-2011 at 10:36 AM

Amigos, Pesky Boyz would like to check in with SurfDoc's friend Adam. I was cruising La Pastora but got no clue where/who --Las Playitas is beautiful but solitary. A phone number or U2U to exchange cell ph numbers would be helpful in our Pachanga Party planning. I believe his llegada there should be hoy mismo, right?! Mine is 612 118 1040. Don't be scared off by wild women answering the phone.:o:cool: Tio

dtutko1 - 3-1-2011 at 01:01 PM

Mike would be welcome to hunker down here for a few days if needed. Our property is fenced and we have a local source of alfalfa if needed. I went fishing today and hoped to have a few jarrel for dinner with some of the locals, but..... everyday can't be sunday. He'll have to have arranchara.
Don

bajacalifornian - 3-1-2011 at 05:03 PM

Hey Don. Gotta start fishin' Sundays huh. Got it.

For sure, give Mike the message.

MAR. 1, 2011

David K - 3-1-2011 at 07:27 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 10 miles today... making their total trip from Tecate total 1,066 so far!

Mike is camping about 9 miles from Todos Santos and less than 3 miles from SurfDoc's place...

For the first time, Cabo San Lucas appears on the trip route map... he is getting close!

Pages:  1  ..  11    13    15  16