BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16

surfdoc - 3-1-2011 at 10:06 PM

I called Adam and told him to look for Mike Manana...

Hopefully he will head out to Aqua VBlanca and find him.

Wow............will post what happens.. as Adam has no internet or electricity in the Playita.,

Gulwinky - 3-2-2011 at 03:23 PM

I will so be there for the party when he gets back here (San Diego) !!

Alex

[Edited on 3-2-2011 by Gulwinky]

MAR. 2, 2011

David K - 3-2-2011 at 09:03 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked just over 2 miles to SurfDoc's place today:

Stickers - 3-3-2011 at 01:06 AM

David, it looks like they walked a lot more than 2 miles.

Check the tracking data, they went way south of Sufdocs and then doubled back.

dtutko1 - 3-3-2011 at 06:56 AM

Trish and I drove 7 mile north of TS yesterday afternoon looking for Mike and did not see him. We did come across a Mexican family on a small rancho w/a small church in the yard that knew Mike would pass by soon on his trek from SD to Cabo. Even w/my poor spanish and the womans poor english , she managed to ask Why? was he doing it. I tried to explain the "adventure" but she was not buying it. She felt it had to be dinero or pocoloco. We will look again today.

David K - 3-3-2011 at 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stickers
David, it looks like they walked a lot more than 2 miles.

Check the tracking data, they went way south of Sufdocs and then doubled back.

Thanks... I know that Mike must have actually walked more than I can estimate or even shows on the track. I am recording progress miles southbound from the previous night location. Since he had the GPS for Surfdoc's, I wonder why he did pass it? Maybe he didn't realize he was so close?

I did not look at the track map because it was late and there was only 2 miles between the SPOT locations! I will have a look now... thanks again!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, Looks like Mike walked about 4 miles south, then turned around and walked 2 miles back north to SurfDoc's.

Shall we call March 2nd, a 6 mile day instead of a 2 mile day?:?:

[Edited on 3-3-2011 by David K]

TMW - 3-3-2011 at 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1
Trish and I drove 7 mile north of TS yesterday afternoon looking for Mike and did not see him. We did come across a Mexican family on a small rancho w/a small church in the yard that knew Mike would pass by soon on his trek from SD to Cabo. Even w/my poor spanish and the womans poor english , she managed to ask Why? was he doing it. I tried to explain the "adventure" but she was not buying it. She felt it had to be dinero or pocoloco. We will look again today.

Some people up here thing we're pocoloco to go to Mexico. I think his reasons have evolved as he has walked down Baja. He probably thought it would be fun and adventous at first, then found it was hard work, then determination set in to finish it. But what ever the reason is or was it has been an exciting trip for everyone, even us armchair quarterbacks.

[Edited on 3-3-2011 by TW]

David K - 3-3-2011 at 11:08 AM

While he was a registered Baja Nomad before his trip... he sure became a special member of this site during it, and discovered how great Nomads are for help and fun!

Why?

dtutko1 - 3-3-2011 at 04:01 PM

It ends up this guy lives a 100 metres or so from where Mike is staying. He asked "Why does he do it?"

Mike-Don  Kay and 002.jpg - 31kB

Safe in Las Playitas

dtutko1 - 3-3-2011 at 04:06 PM

We found where Mike is staying, but did not see him. He may have been planning his trip through TS with his host.

Mike-Don  Kay and 004.jpg - 29kB

David K - 3-3-2011 at 06:43 PM

I see Solo in there!

Mike is spending a second night at SurfDoc's per today's SPOT signal.

tiotomasbcs - 3-3-2011 at 07:17 PM

Amigos, caught up in The Adventure. No Parades! Please :spingrin: Pardon the inturuption. Mike just called from Las Playitas , Hooray. Dusty Don and I went up there again today and foun d Doc's casita but no Mike or Adam. Solo ran out waggin her tail when I called to her! Don Kay was too busy foraging en la basura. Left a note with ph number and he called right now. Adam took him out on a pre run exploring what lays ahed. Long and Winding Road. He sounded great but had not seen email and didn't have dates for his families Cabo arrival. We will hook up tomorrow for Pow Wow and Tribal Council Big Bullchit!! If he needs to hold up a little Todos and Pesky is a good place, Beautiful weather today and yestrday! More news at eleven. Sale, Tio

David K - 3-3-2011 at 07:24 PM

That's great Tio!!!:bounce::bounce::cool:

surfdoc - 3-3-2011 at 10:29 PM

Right on Tio.... I talked with Mike just before he called you and gave him a quick and dirtty lowdown on timing to get to Cabo...

Sounds like he and Adam are doing fantastic .... glad they hooked up and DonKay, Solo and mike can chill out in a great Part of Baja!!!

That looked like Nabor.. mi amigo from the rancho down on the main road! I understand his pondering of why Mike is doing this.. he's super old Skool baja..:D

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by surfdoc]

tiotomasbcs - 3-5-2011 at 07:14 AM

On Friday we finally found The Man and Co! Mike is holed up in a beautiful rustic part of Las Playitas. Our Lost Coast! All is well and we shared some laughs and stories. I can see why everyone has fallen in love with solo and Don Kay. Mike is a real Baja Guy and loved talking about his adventures. Adam, a waterpolo player and son of Imperial Beach Teachers, is showing him some Local Onda by sporting him all around and offering him local Hospitalidad! We planned Mike's arrival for Saturday in Pescadero and a few more days of Fun in the Sun! DTutko and wife are hosting the gang and we will get The Tribe together for big Pow Wow! Our weather has warmed up in the low 80s and heard Cabo was in the 90s. Cool nites and mornings. Todo Bien as usual. Heaven on Earth! Again, all Nomads invited. :O:cool: Tio

Bob H - 3-5-2011 at 09:33 AM

Nice write-up in today's San Diego Union Tribune on Mike's trek. Check it out.

TMW - 3-5-2011 at 10:36 AM

That was a nice write up.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/04/baja-adventur...

monoloco - 3-5-2011 at 03:55 PM

Here's a photo of Mike and crew today in downtown Todos Santos:

MAR. 5, 2011

David K - 3-5-2011 at 09:51 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked south about 14 miles today to El Pescadero. There total distance walked south is now 1,082 miles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Mar. 2, Mike walked south 6 miles then turned around and came back north 4 miles to stay at SurfDoc's.

So the actual miles walked is 10... but they only advanced southbound 2 miles...

I am not sure if the total TREK SOUTH miles for that day should be considered 2 or 10? The grand total at the moment reflects 2... Any opinions?

Baja&Back - 3-5-2011 at 11:07 PM

Met Mike today on the main street in Todos Santos at noon. Invited him to lunch with us, but he said he had Miles To Go Before He Sleeps.

He said there was a party planned for him at the main police station in Cabo on the 12th.

Told the lady in the cafe what an Hombre Famoso Mike is and she said they would have served him free lunch!

Anyways, was nice to see him. ;D

Way to go Mike!!! (**ELITE)

lightingstrike - 3-6-2011 at 01:40 AM

I'll tell you something mike...we talked about this trip for along time, for at least the last year, if not longer. I was really surprised and happy to see your story in the Union and to finnally see that NAG that you been talking about for soooo long. You both are a perfect match. I'm also happy to hear that your so close to the finnish and your in good health. I just wish i could be there when its done, holding a bottle in one hand (or maybe a shovel) and some snacks for that spoiled nag in the other. You both deserved a pat on the back. I'll be looking for you in the furture when you make it back to San Diego and I'm buying the first round! If there is something I can help you with, drop me a line or give me a call and I'll catch you soon. Your buddy at work Randy V.

Bob H - 3-6-2011 at 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lightingstrike
I'll tell you something mike...we talked about this trip for along time, for at least the last year, if not longer. I was really surprised and happy to see your story in the Union and to finnally see that NAG that you been talking about for soooo long. You both are a perfect match. I'm also happy to hear that your so close to the finnish and your in good health. I just wish i could be there when its done, holding a bottle in one hand (or maybe a shovel) and some snacks for that spoiled nag in the other. You both deserved a pat on the back. I'll be looking for you in the furture when you make it back to San Diego and I'm buying the first round! If there is something I can help you with, drop me a line or give me a call and I'll catch you soon. Your buddy at work Randy V.

Welcome aboard Randy V!! Mike is making a great story! For sure.

Mike arrives in El Pescadero

dtutko1 - 3-6-2011 at 06:47 AM

Mike, Don-Kay, and Solo arrived safely this afternoon. Here's a couple pix

Mike and Some locals.JPG - 35kB

how does Pompano do the pix?

dtutko1 - 3-6-2011 at 06:49 AM

Here's another

Mike, Tiotomas, and Bajacalifornian.JPG - 33kB

one more pic

dtutko1 - 3-6-2011 at 06:53 AM

Roger if you see this, you'll know I need a lesson. Here's Mike and Jeff planning the next step.

Mike and BajaCaliforrian, Jeff.JPG - 37kB

tiotomasbcs - 3-6-2011 at 07:36 AM

Mike arrived around 4:30 and the stories and laughs started immediately .Great fun sharing the stories from Nomads with Mike from our perspectives reading on the board. He enjoyed recounting his many adventures during his long journey. Many we had not read about, of course! Mike is healthy & full of spirit and eager to see the finish line. Don and Trish are great Hosts ! Jeff the Baja Californian dropped in for dinner and the stories flowed as well as the liquid refreshment. Pura Vida! Monoloco also came by for alittle while, also. Hard to get a word in edgewise with all these Baja Legends!!:yes: Today holds more fun in the sun. Hard to explain the excitement you feel as part of this unique Baja Journey. :o:cool: Tio

shari - 3-6-2011 at 08:05 AM

Oh man...I soooooo wish I could be there with you all....thanks for looking after them and for the pics...the stories NOT in print are the best ones eh!!!
I am confused about the 12th date...I thought the girls were coming in on the 17th????

David K - 3-6-2011 at 10:08 AM

Wonderful wonderful... Over 1,000 miles and 5 months and no regrets... Baja is a land of adventure... and we all can pick our own style of adventure in Baja!

David K - 3-6-2011 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtutko1
Roger if you see this, you'll know I need a lesson. Here's Mike and Jeff planning the next step.

Your photos are fine!

If you want to make them a little bigger and to post several at a time... here is my how to instructions:

It takes just a little practice... here again are a couple of methods for posting photos on Nomad:

There is some misunderstanding about how to post photos... There are two methods...

One is direct onto Nomad from your PC files, using the 'Browse' button under the normal posting box... In that case you can only post one photo per post AND it MUST be UNDER 50 kb. is file size. Since this is smaller than most all photos you have on you PC, you need to make a duplicate file with the photo size REDUCED to under 50 kb.

The BETTER way to show your photos is to hot link to them stored on another website... such as Photobucket.com. It is free (to a certain limit) and has an automatic resizing service... In this case, Nomad requests photos to not exceed 800 pixels in width.

On Photobucket, to upload from your PC,

1) click the red button 'Upload now'.

2) In the next window you see, at the bottom of the big box, in small blue letters, click: Customize your upload options

3) In the pop up see these choices (and more to resize to):
100x75
160x120
320x240
640x480
800x600
1024x768 ...

>>Pick 640x480 for most photos... this is the selection refered to as 'Large'.
>>Pick 800x600 for maps or max. detail images max. size to fit on 15" screens.

Click SAVE

4) Select photos (press Select Photos button) from your PC to resize and store on Photobucket. You can have multiple files to organize them.

Now, to put on Nomad!

1) Place your mouse arrow over the photo you want and get a small pop up with some codes for linking them to various media.

See the one called 'IMG code'? Click your mouse on it to copy it.

2) On the Nomad posting box, paste that code.

You can have text above or below the image link... have several images perhaps a dozen max... and then do a reply post to add more... so as to not have too many on a single frame.

The photo url begins with http:// and ends with .jpg (usually) and the IMG code puts your photos url between the tags [img] and [/img]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If your photo is already on a web site, you can click this icon located above where you type onto Nomad (not quick reply):

and just put in the image url, and the tags are automatically added on to show your photo here. (make sure the http:// isn't in the url twice)

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by David K]

bajacalifornian - 3-6-2011 at 02:12 PM

Shari, the 17th is fixed. No change there.

El Pescadero . . . beautiful place, great people, food & fun. Gracias!

Baja&Back - 3-6-2011 at 08:50 PM

Oops. Maybe I misunderstood Mike on the date - coulda been the 17th. Anyways, it will be a happy party!!!

lightingstrike - 3-7-2011 at 05:22 AM

Thanks Bob for your reply to my shout out to Mike. Now that I know where to keep up on his trip, i'm looking foward to the updates. Thanks again Randy

Mikes El Pescadero Friends

dtutko1 - 3-7-2011 at 06:49 AM

20 or so people came by to hear Mikes stories, toast his journey, and wish him well. And have a taco or 2.

Mike telling stories.JPG - 49kB

tiotomasbcs - 3-7-2011 at 09:32 AM

Wow, what was that ? Like a warm wind moving thru the nite. Pescadero Pachanga! More food, drinks, and conv ersation. The local tribe has been visiting and some great questions asked. How many pairs of walking boots? Best part of the trip?:wow: Dangerous encounters?:bounce: I can see the book forming from the embryonic stages. As many have said, Mike has great energy and gusto in telling the story of his Baja Adventure! Will scout the trail ahead with Da Boyz today. Thanks for the nice words Jeff! Hasta Tio

Boots???

bajaguy - 3-7-2011 at 09:34 AM

I would really like to know what brand/model of boots Mike is wearing......and is he wearing the original pair or did he have to break in a new pair

Here's what he was wearing the last week in January:

Juan del Rio - 3-7-2011 at 11:19 AM

I asked him the same question. He like these and said they were very comfortable, but I forgot the name of the brand. Not sure what he is wearing these days though.

P1230010X.JPG - 47kB

monoloco - 3-7-2011 at 03:55 PM

We went out today with Mike, dtutko1, and tiotomasbcs to scout Mike's route through the sierras of the cape region for his last leg to Cabo.

[Edited on 3-8-2011 by monoloco]

[Edited on 3-8-2011 by BajaNomad]

tiotomasbcs - 3-7-2011 at 06:43 PM

Bueno, great morning with desayuno with Pesky Boyz! Up to the mtns and exploration of DonKays next route to Cabo/south. Muchos desviaciones and where's the friggin road. Beautiful local peole. This will definitely be a greatpart oft Mike Trek. Met Pedro/Pierre/Pete in San Jacinto. Real Bajenos with welcoming hearts. Invited into the casa and small talk. Andale. More dead ends and Incredible Oasios in the Arroyos!! Backtrack and finally thru road ! No problemo, ha, ha!! La Matancitas awaits us after a few beers and Gods herbs?? Mike has a good ide3a of where and we will supply support crew!Vamonos, Amigos. Buena Onda Tio

David K - 3-7-2011 at 07:20 PM

Sounds like Mike is going inland and not along the beach south from Migriño?

monoloco - 3-7-2011 at 07:22 PM

The mountain ranchos are mostly populated with viejos these days, with most of the younger generation having gone to the cities to seek their fortunes, they are very gracious and hospitable. Visiting them there is like stepping back in time fifty years, they are a hearty and self reliant breed, Mike will be in good hands for the final leg of his journey, I really enjoyed hanging out with him and his crew and hearing all the tales of his amazing adventure. Saludos Mike, Happy Trails!

Bob H - 3-8-2011 at 12:02 AM

Lot's of BEERs dotting the way down. Nice!

Looking forward to Mike making his destination. Fasinating story!

bajacalifornian - 3-8-2011 at 11:58 AM

Mike's words, "I will be coming in thru the mountains because the coast is just too much trouble". He will eventually make his way past the Cabo San Lucas Airport (CSL) to the finish line.

David K - 3-8-2011 at 12:06 PM

Thanks Jeff... I just checked Mike's tracker and no signal today (so far)... Do you know when he will leave Pescadero?

bajacalifornian - 3-8-2011 at 12:10 PM

No, but the guys there will likely respond.

dtutko1 - 3-8-2011 at 03:28 PM

Mike is enjoying the local hospitality. He was invited to stay in a small casita near the beach with his own bed. Don-Kay has another local burro "Einstein" he sings with there. And Solo...well she's solo. He currently plans to take off Sat. am 3/12 for Cabo.

Mike and Jeff

dtutko1 - 3-8-2011 at 03:33 PM

Here's a shot of Mike and the Bajacalifornian

Mike and Donkay 003.JPG - 38kB

tiotomasbcs - 3-8-2011 at 03:35 PM

Amigos, Mike has holed awhile to time his arrival in Cabo to meet with his daughters. Yes, he has changed his mind and will travel inland thru Pescadero and on to San Jacinto thru the lower hills in the shadow of the Sierra de la Laguna. The road wiggles and then connects with La Candelaria and on to Cabo San Loco! Don Kay is moving his diggs to hang with Einstein, his new donkey brother. You should hear the braying !! :yes::lol:;) Mike has been invited to another friends rustic cabanas at Casa Simpatica. Mike wants a bed to sleep in?:o I believe he is staying until Saturday. Tonites menu is Lasagna w/garlic bread! Coctails anyone?:biggrin: Love the Life I live.... Tio:cool:

BajaBlanca - 3-8-2011 at 03:44 PM

wow.... so wonderful to see the pictures and what the heck are we goona do every day when this adventure ends ?????!!!!!!!!!

:?::?::?:

I so look forward to every day's progress ... someone please come up with some scheme and make it good, so we can sit back and comment on it for a year .... hahaha ..

I see Mike has a full grown beard now ....

glad to see Don Kay has an amigo and Solo looks great !! We also love our life Tio, gotta love life

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 3-8-2011 at 04:59 PM

I hope Mike become a regular on Baja Nomad and will tease us with chapters, much the way Graham did and Mike Humfreville did, before they were published!

TMW - 3-8-2011 at 06:06 PM

Life is good, I wish them the very best on the rest of the walk to Cabo.

bajacalifornian - 3-8-2011 at 09:06 PM

Well Don, Tio & gang . . . kindly pass on to Mike & give us his plan:

Hi Jeff
The cruise changed our dates on us.... We are now going to be in cabo on the 16 th AND the 18 th. Not the 17th! I hope this will work out for everyone...... Please let me know
Thanks - see you soon
Tammy

bajacalifornian - 3-8-2011 at 09:45 PM

Ship schedule:
16th Arrive Cabo 9AM sail 6PM
17th La Paz
18th Arrive Cabo 8AM sail 5PM

dtutko1 - 3-9-2011 at 06:01 AM

The stories are great and there are many. Mike is so excited, it's contageous. Will pass the news on to him today.

tiotomasbcs - 3-9-2011 at 07:42 AM

Todos town yesterday for a little business and tacos. Mike walked around town while we did our los de haceres. Fish tacos with volcano salsa. Even tho TS has grown it is still a lovely town with plenty of local beauties and rancheros! No artistas sighted, thank God. Mike had walked thru town and he said the policia had to break up a group of gawkers as he was blocking the road. VH1 may be on the agenda tonite at the beach. Imagine--Bikini Babes and Surfers writhing to the rythms around the bonfire!! Spring Break! Imagine Mike & Donkey with girls hanging off them like rock stars?!:lol: I couldn't make this up.:o Sometimes it pays off to party with the kids!:yes: Smiles, Tio

rmarsh - 3-9-2011 at 11:00 AM

For those of you that have been posting I would like to say thank you it has allowed me to track Mikes progress and see some of the pictures of him along the way. I’m Mike’s old neighbor/co-worker and now New York buddy miles and miles away. I traveled to Mexico with him in the past and stayed at his Dad’s place with him and I know that being in Mexico for me was complete serenity. I have not posted since Mikes journey began because I didn’t really think a posting from someone so far away would do anyone any good. I am however getting all Mike’s position e-mails everyday and have received one phone call from him back when he first started his trip. Mike is a great friend and more like a brother to me and I am so happy to see everyone has pitched in and really made his dream come true. I wish I were taking this adventure with him, although I’m sure we would consume too much Bourbon along the way. My hope is to fly to San Diego when he gets back and spend some time with him; I can’t wait to hear all about his adventure. Again thanks to all that kept this going it has been very wonderful to see his progress. If anyone reads this and see’s Mike please tell him his buddy Rob from New York say’s way to go buddy can’t wait to hear all about it.

MikeYounghusband - 3-9-2011 at 01:56 PM

Thanks Rob, wish you could have come too. Leaving on the last leg in a few days. Would be great to see you when I get home. Will have a room ready for you.

Your friend,

Mike

David K - 3-9-2011 at 07:05 PM

Very cool... and welcome to Baja Nomad 'rmarsh' !!

Mike, congratulations on your journey's success as you near 'Land's End'!

bajacalifornian - 3-11-2011 at 01:44 PM

Just to confirm, finish line welcome is Friday, March 18th, Police station entry to Cabo. See you north of the airport Mike!

Mar. 11, 2011

David K - 3-12-2011 at 12:10 AM

The last planned day in El Pescadero today as Mike plans on the final leg of his adventure to Cabo San Lucas that begins tomorrow (Saturday) morning!

tiotomasbcs - 3-12-2011 at 07:12 AM

Nomads, yesterday Mike and I traveled the exact track he will follow as he leaves Pescadero. Beautiful warm day. Cooler full of beer to keep hydrated! East out of town then turning south towards El
refugio. Talked the some ranchers and scouted the rustic community?? of El Refugio--abandoned park and small church. Many beautiful arroyos and a little rough going but my Tacoma is perfect truck for the narrow passings. Don Kay will have no problem with his four hooves drive! Mike had not been here before. Noted the various crossroads and came out of the foothills where we had entered before and where he will continue south to San Jacinto to Candelaria and Cabo. I kindly declined his offer to walk with him!:o:spingrin: Bucket list Cadillac Margaritas at the Hotel California:coolup: We were greeted by Don Henley in the bar! Viva Mexico. Will post later when it's time to hit the trail. Tio

David K - 3-12-2011 at 01:48 PM

I got a u2u from Mike saying he will leave Sunday because of the change of the ship's schedule.

lightingstrike - 3-12-2011 at 04:31 PM

Hey everyone. This is Randy in San Diego. I need to see if there is a simple way to make a link available to some friends that worked with Mike at Elite. I was telling them about his trip and they wanted to say hi. I have an email address but i'm not really sure what i need to do to get them here. I would appreciate any help so that i don't screw this thing up and link them to some Islamic or porn site by accident. That would be really hard to explain why he's on a site like that with a dog and a mule. Thanks for any help

David K - 3-12-2011 at 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lightingstrike
Hey everyone. This is Randy in San Diego. I need to see if there is a simple way to make a link available to some friends that worked with Mike at Elite. I was telling them about his trip and they wanted to say hi. I have an email address but i'm not really sure what i need to do to get them here. I would appreciate any help so that i don't screw this thing up and link them to some Islamic or porn site by accident. That would be really hard to explain why he's on a site like that with a dog and a mule. Thanks for any help

1) scroll down to the bottom of this and every Nomad page and see the photo of Mike and link to this thread...

2) Email them to the link to this thread (page 1): http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=47853

David K - 3-13-2011 at 10:19 AM

Just checked his SPOT tracker, and Mike is on his way!

He is heading east out of El Pescadero into the foothills...

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

tiotomasbcs - 3-13-2011 at 11:38 AM

Hola, Farewell dinner last night with lots of remembrances and forward looking to the finish line. Don Kay , Solo, and Mike left down the road with Einstein calling out a brayful Aaadioss.:yes: Don and Trish will posts pictures as we shook hands and expressed Good Fortune. More than a week and Mike can cruise into Cabo for his Journey's End. He is looking forward to seeing his daughters and getting home to see friends and his beloved dogs. Que le vaya bien, Amigos. :smug: Tio

dtutko1 - 3-13-2011 at 02:11 PM

Here's a shot of Mike departing San Pedrito this am. Had a great visit. Mike reminded us to "keep it simple" and live out your dreams. A true Nomad. Thanks Mike!

Mike and Donkay Tomas Don.JPG - 46kB

dtutko1 - 3-13-2011 at 02:12 PM

Down the road I'm gone.

Mike and Donkay Solo leaving.JPG - 44kB

BajaBlanca - 3-13-2011 at 03:09 PM

well Mike, it is almost the end of a very long journey for you , perhaps when you read this you will already have reached Cabo ... have a safe and fun trip home to San Diego

and as soon as you have taken a well deserved rest

plan the next adventure so you don't get too bored :o:o

and keep up the walking - it's good for the soul ...

MAR. 13, 2011

David K - 3-13-2011 at 05:06 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 12 miles today from near the coast at El Pescadero to the village of El Refugio in the foothills of the Sierra La Laguna.

Total southbound miles since Oct. 1, 2010 now: 1,094

Thanks for the help

lightingstrike - 3-14-2011 at 01:44 PM

Just wanted to say thanks David K. I sent the link to mike's friends at work and maybe they'll drop him a hello before he's finnished. As they say "better late than never". thanks again and way to Mike!

MAR. 14, 2011

David K - 3-14-2011 at 05:14 PM

Happy to be of service Lightning!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, it is getting close to the end of a 5+ month adventure!

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked 14 miles today and are camped in Arroyo Mataguay about 2 miles north of Rancho Los Encinitos.

Trip total 1,108 miles (or 1,116 if you count the u-turn on Mar. 2) :light:

bajacalifornian - 3-14-2011 at 05:55 PM

So? No talk about Mike? I got a lot to say. I'm going to take a cab to a meeting spot and spend the night Thursday (from the police statn., park truck & trailer there.). There must be folks in BCS that can do that too. Plan on toasting the night with Mike.

From there, celebrate with a great friend and person. Do it!

David K - 3-15-2011 at 08:22 AM

Take photos please! Wish I could be there too!

MAR. 15, 2011

David K - 3-15-2011 at 07:00 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 8 miles today... Almost there!

surfdoc - 3-15-2011 at 10:28 PM

Damn

Not sure of all the thanks you've gotten David........

But from Me...........THANK YOU !! I've really enjoyed watching Mikes progress down Baja! Even tho I've had the privilage to be a part of some of it!

Man sooooo close!

Thanks David K

John M - 3-16-2011 at 04:54 AM

Thanks for all the effort you've put into this David. I cannot believe we encountered Mike just a week into his journey this past October near Laguna Hanson -

They are an inspiration to those of us who dream of what we can do.

John M.

David K - 3-16-2011 at 07:17 AM

You all are welcome... I am very happy to do this... It has been an interesting 5 1/2 months. Seeing the progress map and satellite images of his location makes it more interesting.

Mike and I will meet after he returns to El Cajon when I present him with the maps I made to show on Nomad (and TalkBaja).

dtbushpilot - 3-16-2011 at 07:52 AM

So, is there a reception/party planned? I thought I saw something a couple of dozen pages back but don't remember if there is an official thing planned. I'd like to go.......

David K - 3-16-2011 at 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
So, is there a reception/party planned? I thought I saw something a couple of dozen pages back but don't remember if there is an official thing planned. I'd like to go.......

posted on 3-11-2011 at 01:44 PM:

Just to confirm, finish line welcome is Friday, March 18th, Police station entry to Cabo. See you north of the airport Mike!

posted on 2-27-2011 at 12:09 PM

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For DK

The Cabo police station that I am familiar with is on the outskirts of town way up the hill to the north, on Hwy towards Todos Santos.

22 55'08.21N 109 58'14.94 on Google Earth.

Since Mike will be coming down on the old road to Todos Santos, passing the airport... he will have to turn right to get to the police station.

[Edited on 3-16-2011 by David K]

Bob H - 3-16-2011 at 12:07 PM

Fantastic job, David!

We are following Mike all the way from Lahaina, Hawaii here on Maui. Congratulations to Mike!! What an adventure for him and also for us while following his journey.

bajacalifornian - 3-16-2011 at 12:43 PM

That's incredible. From Hawaii.

For dtbushpilot & others: Still doing a dance here for a horse trailer. Been arranging for three weeks & still workin' on it, but getting closer. I'm leaving for La Paz as soon as a trailer is connected to the truck. Leave for Cabo (from La Paz) Thursday to arrive police station at about 9 AM. Will ask for assistance from police in determining shortest distance there, to where we meet Mike. Then, a trip to the presidents office in Cabo for assistance with electronic media. Then, up the mountain in cab or with police with bedroll to spend the night (Thursday). Friday should walk in from airport about 10 (a guess). His daughters and grand-daughter will arrive by cab about 10:30. Mike's wish is that someone will be there to shake his hand. Wasn't a soul waiting for Graham when he finished.
Cheers!

Graham - 3-16-2011 at 01:57 PM

It´s been wonderful following Mike´s journey from beginning to end and back to the days when he was just dreaming and planning, and running down to bury his stashes along the way.

Really sad and disappointed that I can´t be there to welcome Mike personally and shake his hand. But I´ll be there in spirit.

What an adventure and an inspiration... proud of you Mike and your amazing trail buddies. Can´t wait to hear all the details when you head back north.

David K - 3-16-2011 at 02:14 PM

Just checked Mike's location and at 2:11 pm PDT, he is just south of Rancho San Ramon at the junction with the road west to Rancho Carrizalito (Baja Almanac). This is maybe 3 miles north of Rancho El Saucito on the AAA map.

BajaBlanca - 3-16-2011 at 05:00 PM

David - you kept all of us BajaNomaders in the loop for all these months and we too say:

THANKS SO MUCH.

The maps made it fantastic and real and enabled us to follow Mike's trail ... we even knew that we would find him alongside of highway 1 when we drove north months and months ago.

I sure wish someone else would contrive a wonderful exploit so that we could continue couch traveling !!

I just finished reading THE ENCHANTED VAGABONDS, a true story about a los angeles very young couple who built a kayak-sailboat-canoe in the 1930's and went from san diego all the way down to panama. The books tells of their encounters with friendly and not-so-friendly indians, malaria sickness, near death ocean storms - just incredible. I would have lasted all of 5 minutes - if that !!!

congrats again Mike and good luck with the readjustment to life, as it were.

bajacalifornian - 3-16-2011 at 05:51 PM

Help, please . . .

Still need a horse trailer for Don-kay! Planned to leave Loreto for La Paz this morning with one of two trailers promised but neither has come through. Can pick one up Loreto to La Paz tonight, or on the way to Cabo in the morning. Plan is to return to Loreto with Don -Kay, would then return the trailer where ever it may come from. Any ideas? Will also post in discussion . . .

bajacalifornian - 3-16-2011 at 06:00 PM

Help, please . . .

Still need a horse trailer for Don-kay! Planned to leave Loreto for La Paz this morning with one of two trailers promised but haven't come through. Can pick one up Loreto to La Paz tonight, or on the way to Cabo in the morning. Plan is to return to Loreto with Don -Kay, would then return the trailer where ever it may come from. Any ideas? Will also post on Mike's page in News . . .

bajacalifornian - 3-16-2011 at 06:02 PM

Help, please . . .

Still need a horse trailer for Don-kay! Planned to leave Loreto for La Paz this morning with one of two trailers promised but haven't come through. Can pick one up Loreto to La Paz tonight, or on the way to Cabo in the morning. Plan is to return to Loreto with Don -Kay, would then return the trailer where ever it may come from. Any ideas? Will also post on Mike's page in News . . .

MAR. 16, 2011... JUST ONE MORE DAY!!!

David K - 3-16-2011 at 06:06 PM

To get to Cabo... and complete a 1,145 (approx.) mile walk from Tecate in just under 6 months. WOW!

Today: Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 13 miles and are camped in the village of LOS POZOS, about 5 miles north of the airport.

Map tilted to show more.

bajacalifornian - 3-16-2011 at 06:06 PM

Help, please . . .

Still need a horse trailer for Don-kay! Planned to leave Loreto for La Paz this morning with one of two trailers promised but haven't come through. Can pick one up Loreto to La Paz tonight, or on the way to Cabo in the morning. Plan is to return to Loreto with Don -Kay, would then return the trailer where ever it may come from. Any ideas? Will also post in general discussion . . .

[Edited on 3-17-2011 by bajacalifornian]

surfdoc - 3-16-2011 at 09:10 PM

So does this mean, Mike is gonna make the return trek also...:rolleyes:

Come on...........some one has to know someone with a horse trailer they can use for 2 days...........WTF.

bajacalifornian - 3-16-2011 at 10:16 PM

Gracias surfdoc. I think we're on for early morning hitch up. Thank you again.

Horse Trailer

Maddie - 3-17-2011 at 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfdoc
So does this mean, Mike is gonna make the return trek also...:rolleyes:

Come on...........some one has to know someone with a horse trailer they can use for 2 days...........WTF.

I will help try to find a horse trailer. Please let me know if you already have one. maddie@cabofriends.net

wilderone - 3-17-2011 at 08:37 AM

CONGRATULATIONS MIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can hardly wait for the welcome home party in San Diego to hear your stories!!

bajacalifornian - 3-17-2011 at 10:48 AM

Well, may show up in Cabo without a trailer. Here's the latest from our last hold out this morning:

Jeff, trying to find my trailer. Thought it was at goat ranch just outside of town, but my buddy, Taco, told me he thinks his cousin might have taken it and the muleito to their cattle ranch in San Juan until Sun. Will try and confirm its where-abouts and get back to you. I apologize for the delay, but you know how it is here sometimes. Worst case is it might be another day until I find out where it is. Do I have your phone number? Please provide it and I can use a friends phone to call you. Talk to you soon, Patrick.

David K - 3-17-2011 at 02:16 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have arrived at the Cabo airport, 15 minutes ago... They actually made a right turn to go to the airport entrance, and are now again heading south from the airport... as of 2:08 PDT/MST

ALMOST!!

David K - 3-17-2011 at 03:04 PM

Yellow pins are two of his positions this past half hour:

Maddie - 3-17-2011 at 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have arrived at the Cabo airport, 15 minutes ago... They actually made a right turn to go to the airport entrance, and are now again heading south from the airport... as of 2:08 PDT/MST

Are they still headed for the police station?

3:08

David K - 3-17-2011 at 03:20 PM

David K - 3-17-2011 at 03:44 PM

It looks like he is going to set up camp there tonight? The 3:08 position...

At 3:13 pm he sent out his typical daily check signal where he camps.

MAR. 17, 2011

David K - 3-17-2011 at 04:10 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have set up camp about a mile from the police station, and just a short ways north of Hwy. 19.

Total miles today are about 8... making the southbound total since Oct. 1: 1,137. If we add in the extra 8 miles when he made the U-turn to SurfDoc's on Mar. 2, the trip total becomes 1,145 miles on foot. He still has a mile to go, however!

[Edited on 3-18-2011 by David K]

Pages:  1  ..  12    14    16