BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  ..  13    15  

Maddie - 3-17-2011 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
It looks like he is going to set up camp there tonight? The 3:08 position...

At 3:13 pm he sent out his typical daily check signal where he camps.

From the position on your map, looks like he is about 1/2 mile from the Los Cabos Humane Society (which is just off Hwy 19).

dtutko1 - 3-17-2011 at 06:00 PM

Congrats Mike. We sure enjoyed your visit and look forward to the next. Sorry we couldn't be there for the celabration. Don and Trish

BajaBlanca - 3-17-2011 at 08:31 PM

CONGRATS MIKE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THE DAY IS FINALLY HERE !!!! GLAD WE WERE A PART OF YOUR JOURNEY !!!!

HAVE A GREAT DAY CELEBRATING WITH FAMILY AND FRIENDS !!!

BLANCA AND LES IN LA BOCANA.

:bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

David K - 3-17-2011 at 09:54 PM

Mike's Last Night on the Trail location:

Here is the road Mike is on, where it meets Hwy. 19... just south of the police station:

On the Nomad page, you can just make out where Mike is from Hwy. 19... at that arroyo crossing.

[Edited on 3-18-2011 by David K]

BornFisher - 3-17-2011 at 10:06 PM

Congrats to Mike and a big thanks to David for his work here!!

Sunman - 3-18-2011 at 12:47 AM

there has to be a lot of thoughts swimming through his head tonight.... what a journey.

Maddie - 3-18-2011 at 06:57 AM

A trailer for Don Kay's ride home is still needed
Anyone know someone who has one in the Cabo area?

tiotomasbcs - 3-18-2011 at 07:14 AM

Felicidades Don Kay, Solo, and their Fearless leader! I'm sure he is looking forward to finishing strong this morning and then getting home. I hope his kids and many more will be there! My short trip here to Mulegetook six hours by truck; would've taken Mike and friends a week on foot!:O:O Amazing!!! Mucha Suerte, Amigos. Tio

bajajudy - 3-18-2011 at 07:36 AM

In the Tribuna de Los Cabos this morning

http://www.tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/newpage/index.cfm?op=por...

David K - 3-18-2011 at 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
In the Tribuna de Los Cabos this morning

http://www.tribunadeloscabos.com.mx/newpage/index.cfm?op=por...

Great... Here is a Google Translation of that page:

English Translation

BajaGringo - 3-18-2011 at 09:48 AM

Absolutely incredible Mike. You and the team did it amigo and we wish that we could all be there to see you when you finally reach your journey's end.

Look forward to seeing you one day soon in Loreto...

Ron & Cristina

bajacalifornian - 3-18-2011 at 03:40 PM

Hey Nomads , , , Mike Younghusband will be at Augies In Loreto in about 5 hours, It is 3:40 local now . . .

David K - 3-18-2011 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian
Hey Nomads , , , Mike Younghusband will be at Augies In Loreto in about 5 hours, It is 3:40 local now . . .

Wow, what is missing... oh yah, the rest of the story!??

How was a trailer secured, or was one obtained??? Is Don-Kay with Mike?

I was working this afternoon, so was wondering about how was the meeting with his family... any press at the finish line?

Maps for the last day coming...

MAR. 18, 2011 The Journey is Completed!

David K - 3-18-2011 at 05:09 PM

This morning at 9:37 am, Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked the 2 miles from their final camp to the Cabo San Lucas police station on Hwy. 19.

Total walking miles estimated for the nearly 6 month long journey from Tecate is 1,147.

Congratulations Mike!!! :bounce::bounce::bounce::cool:

BajaBlanca - 3-18-2011 at 05:52 PM

yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BajaGringo - 3-18-2011 at 05:56 PM

You mean we aren't going to see a photo of Don-Kay swimming under the famous Land's End Arch???

LaTijereta - 3-18-2011 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajacalifornian

Damm.. Happy Hour at Augie's was just over at 7pm..

I got head back to get the "rest of the story":cool:

DENNIS - 3-18-2011 at 08:21 PM

Congrats Mike. Great job.

Kinda thought he'd sit down for a couple of cold ones at the end of the road. Guess not.

That's it?

Dave - 3-18-2011 at 08:44 PM

Why not the tippy tip? No sticking your feet/hoofs/paws in the surf? Seems kinda anticlimactic to me.

[Edited on 3-19-2011 by Dave]

rockman - 3-18-2011 at 11:29 PM

Mike Younghusband arrived at Augie's Bar, Loreto, 18 March, 2011 at 21:45. He will head for El Cajon approx 28 March.

bajacalifornian - 3-19-2011 at 01:17 AM

David K, your numbers are friggin' accurate . . .

Found Mike last evening .6 miles up the dirt road to the airport, just past sunset. This morning, another free donkey was entertaining Don-Key. Eight thirty, camp broke, headed for the police station.

A half mile short of the finish, I saw a group of joggers back behind us. A bit later, squeals and excitement, it was Mike's family running up. Great moment. Family visited while securing a trailer to rent.

Girls off, trailer hitched, we high tailed for Loreto with the rental trailer, Donk in the back, Solo in the front.

About ten, with Donk in his new pasture with water, we were off to Augies.

LaTijereta was there as he will be tomorrow at Barachos, along with his camera & Mike. Time will be announced in the AM. Multiple pictures to follow from multiple people.

Please note: Mike and company will be at Barrachos sometime tomorrow, time to be announced in the morning.

TMW - 3-19-2011 at 07:28 AM

That's really great.

David K - 3-19-2011 at 07:39 AM

Thank you Jeff for the details...

Mike, we are proud of you! You proved Baja was a safe place for an American to have an adventure with no more risk than any trip in the United States would have.

Looking forward to meeting you in El Cajon and giving you all the maps.

Graham - 3-19-2011 at 07:42 AM

So heartwarming to hear about the successful end to Mike's adventure. Wish I could be in Loreto now.

Thanks for all the updates everyone and thanks for all the wonderful map work David. Even though I've received Mike's Spot position every day these last 6 months. I've almost always gone to Nomad first to see David's positioning and reckoning.

This has brought back so many memories for me. And I'm in awe of Mike's determination and achievement.

I know two of Mike's biggest fans are in for a wonderful reunion when he returns to El Cajon. Rusty and Max were a big part of this early on, and were there every step of the way while Mike was on his training hikes, interviewing potential Don-Kays around Tecate and for the first 100 miles or so. It's been hard on Mike without them.

But one of the biggest thrills for me has been to watch how Solo found Mike and stuck with him lovingly and loyally through thick and thin. It almost brought tears to my eyes to see her marching steadily along with Mike and Don-kay...

Mike is an incredible guy. He made a superb choice of burro. And I'm sure Mike was right... Solo was sent to guide him to the end of his journey. Three wonderful intermeshing tails of the camino.

Images from Tecate and north of the border when it was all just a dream...

[Edited on 3-19-2011 by Graham]

David K - 3-19-2011 at 07:44 AM

Thanks Graham for the photos!

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Mike, we are proud of you! You proved Baja was a safe place for an American to have an adventure with no more risk than any trip in the United States would have.

I think that statement is absolutely ridiculous. If that's the best reason he had for confronting and communing with nature on an epic quest, I think he wasted his time.

David K - 3-19-2011 at 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

I think that statement is absolutely ridiculous. If that's the best reason he had for confronting and communing with nature on an epic quest, I think he wasted his time.

Ummm... perhaps you should read the article that Baja Judy posted a link to (and I offered a translation of)? It wasn't the first time Mike told us that was a goal of the journey.

Certainly it wasn't the only thing... but it was one of the things... and one Mike has told repeatedly over the months.

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Ummm... perhaps you should read the article that Baja Judy posted a link to (and I offered a translation of)? It wasn't the first time Mike told us that was a goal of the journey.

Certainly it wasn't the only thing... but it was one of the things... and one Mike has told repeatedly over the months.

Yeah...I saw it. It sounded like grandiose nonsense then as well....not to mention that it doesn't even come close to proving anything like that.
Why couldn't he just say he's trying to get in touch with himself? If he didn't do that, he wasted more of his time.

cjesme - 3-19-2011 at 08:32 AM

MIKE IS MY HERO!!
WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING SO FASCINATING AND ADVENTUROUS!

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by cjesme
MIKE IS MY HERO!!
WISH I COULD DO SOMETHING SO FASCINATING AND ADVENTUROUS!

Is there a real reason why you can't....like a wheel chair or Iron Lung....something like that? :?:

bajacalifornian - 3-19-2011 at 09:40 AM

3 o'clock, Del Barracho Saloon. Mike is bringing Don-Kay.

Bob H - 3-19-2011 at 11:06 AM

Congrats Mike! What a great adventure!!!

bajalinda - 3-19-2011 at 04:31 PM

Congratulations Mike! and glad to hear that your family was able to be there to meet you too. We really enjoyed your visit here at La Aguja and hope to see you here again someday.

Diver - 3-19-2011 at 04:40 PM

Is that all there is ?
I mean, months of posts and now nothing.
What do we do now ?
I am SO depressed .....

Congratulations Mike !! :biggrin:

BajaGringo - 3-19-2011 at 04:42 PM

I am still waiting for a shot of Don-Kay and Land's End. Does Cabo have some no donkey on the beach law???

BajaBlanca - 3-19-2011 at 04:53 PM

someone PLEASE come up with another entrancing months long epic challenging journey to keep us entertained day after day, week after week, month after month ...jeez lueeeeeeze.

Ii is SO depressing, I agree, Diver. It was something to look forward to every evening and now .. nada mas .....

:no:

comitan - 3-19-2011 at 05:07 PM

And Blanca you sure did your share, Thanks.

DENNIS - 3-19-2011 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I am still waiting for a shot of Don-Kay and Land's End. Does Cabo have some no donkey on the beach law???

Cabo is reserved for burroes. :lol:

desertcpl - 3-19-2011 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo

yes they do

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by desertcpl]

donky.jpg - 15kB

BajaGringo - 3-19-2011 at 06:19 PM

That could be it...

:lol::lol::lol:

bajacalifornian - 3-19-2011 at 06:53 PM

Don Kay and his cup of Whiskey at the last camp spot . . .

BajaBlanca - 3-19-2011 at 07:14 PM

thanks Comitan !! BTW, I took your 2 gorgeous bike club t-shirts from la bocana to la paz, all over the mainland and right back here to la bocana ...

one of these days I will get them to la paz and into your hands once and for all ... pls tenga MUCHA paciencia -

:):):)

David K - 3-19-2011 at 07:44 PM

I am sure they had or are having a great fiesta in Loreto today!

Looking forward to the photos at the Cabo finish line and Loreto party!

Mike's Route Maps: Baja Norte...

David K - 3-19-2011 at 10:52 PM

Mike's Route Maps: Baja Sur...

David K - 3-19-2011 at 11:26 PM

Skipjack Joe - 3-20-2011 at 09:19 AM

Thank you, David.

I thought map #17 was particularly attractive.

DENNIS - 3-20-2011 at 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Thank you, David.

I thought map #17 was particularly attractive.

Suitable for framing...at least. :lol:

David K - 3-20-2011 at 09:56 AM

?

These are the very same maps posted in the thread... I just thought some would enjoy seeing the entire route with camp sites used by Mike, in one place, now that the journey is over.

LaTijereta - 3-20-2011 at 10:02 AM

Loreto get together at Del Borracho Saloon..

Bajacalifornian (Jeff) and Mike had some great stories about getting into and out of Cabo..

Jeff and Sonia were a big part of helping Mike and "gang " back to Loreto..

Mike looks good for getting "taken on a walk" by DonKay for the last 6 months.. Says he lost 43lbs on the trip..

DonKay is resting over on Bajacalifornian's lot right next to the beach..

Diver - 3-20-2011 at 10:11 AM

Where's the doggie ?

Congrats Mike...

lightingstrike - 3-20-2011 at 03:12 PM

Hey bud... so you finnally did it!Boy I can still remember when you first told me about your trip and looking for your partner to take with you(Don-kay). Of all the time you spent going over the route and bonding with Don-kay, it was not in vain, and i send you a well deserved CONGRATULATIONS. I wish I could have been there at the end, but i can say that it has been fun reading the updates once I found this site. And thanks David K. for the help and I think that the completed map(route) was a nice touch for the end. It really puts the trip into perspective on how "un-easy" it really is to undertake a trip like the one Mike just finnished. Mike, I'll be looking for you back in San Diego sometime in the near future and have a safe trip back. Randy

DENNIS - 3-20-2011 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
?

These are the very same maps posted in the thread... I just thought some would enjoy seeing the entire route with camp sites used by Mike, in one place, now that the journey is over.

It was a fine touch and a good job, David. Thanks for all your dilligent work on this project.

Haven't heard from Shari for a little while and she hasn't posted since the 16th. Is she around here anywhere?

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by DENNIS]

monoloco - 3-20-2011 at 04:16 PM

Dittos! Good work on this thread DK.

Bajahowodd - 3-20-2011 at 04:20 PM

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ReviewPhotos-g150772-d1575179-r48...

BajaGringo - 3-20-2011 at 05:06 PM

Maybe Solo wanted to see Land's End???

TMW - 3-20-2011 at 06:07 PM

Yes, thanks DK for all the work you put in on this. You made it a very enjoyable read. Also thanks to all the Nomads for their encouragement and comments over the several months of this journey. It has really been a worth while read. Salute

bajacalifornian - 3-20-2011 at 07:04 PM

Mike, todo fue muy divertido, muchas gracias por compartir las historias de tu adventura conmigo, fue algo memorable lo de Lopez Mateos y el viaje a Cabo...
Mucha suerte con tu viaje manana a Cabo ;) si es que me entiendes...

Bradley P.

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by bajacalifornian]

BajaBlanca - 3-20-2011 at 07:14 PM

nice photos of margaritas and relaxing in Loreto !! Don-Kay looks good indeedy too !! and ditto on the question -- where is Solo ??

bajacalifornian - 3-20-2011 at 07:50 PM

Solo is with Mike at his house, & will continue to stay with him.

David K - 3-20-2011 at 10:26 PM

It was my pleasure to have a tiny part of this adventure... I am looking forward to meeting Mike once he is back in El Cajon and settled... Perhaps we can have a get-together with Graham and Bonni along... the original inspiration!:light:

Have a safe trip back north Mike... and congrats on the Baja weight loss program... FIVE (million) EASY STEPS to weight loss!

wilderone - 3-21-2011 at 08:10 AM

Yes, David - your daily mapping brought it all together for our continued enjoyment - great job.

GregN - 3-21-2011 at 08:34 AM

Good job, David. Your efforts made it fun to follow. Even in my recent travels, I would log on to see the progress. Congrats to Mike too.

David K - 3-21-2011 at 08:56 AM

Thank you Cindi and Greg.. :bounce::bounce:

shari - 3-21-2011 at 01:04 PM

Holo todos....I have been enjoying hanging with whales at the GN lagoon ...Mike knows I'da been there at the grand finale if I could have been. We look forward to many more visits with our amigo Mike.

Mike...if you see this thread....way to go man!!! Whew...done deal eh! Muchas felizidades amigo...please kiss Don Kay and Solo for me and take a whale size hug for yourself...cant wait to see you.

And a huge thank you to all of you who helped the troupe out along the way...particularly Jeff who arranged the transport at the end...well done mates!

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by shari]

Maddie - 3-22-2011 at 12:03 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who helped with updates and photos during Mike's "walk". David, your maps and daily updates were awesome! Even the differences in opinions throughout this thread were helpful in bringing up alternative views to the same topic.
I'm glad to hear that Don Kay is enjoying his new home and Sola Vino now has a home.

What to do now? .... After checking in to read updates everyday over the last 5 -1/2 months, I'm left with a "void" in my daily routine.

CONGRATULATIONS, MIKE!

Graham - 3-22-2011 at 01:46 PM

I imagine after the euphoria of having finished his epic journey Mike might be feeling a bit of a void too.

Hard to give up all that freedom, purpose, and spectacular beauty...

My last evening with my white burro just north of Cabo in 1985.

And saying goodbye to Bonny, my faithful amigo, the following morning.

photos from... Into a Desert Place.

Mike might just have to write a book!

bajacalifornian - 3-22-2011 at 02:44 PM

Today's Episode

Mike, returning the trailer to Cabo yesterday and today, this opportunist was found waiting in the shade.

Last night, a post opened the way for Don-Kay to visit the neighborhood.

My Compa Agustin Davis leading the Vago back home.

The guilty post was partying in the night.

Waiting in the van.

Home again.

Today's episode is brought to you by***** . . .

Anticipated great fishing this year in Loreto . . . lotsa Sargazo!

*****Spam alert!!! Yah mcfez, ya gotta come fishin' this year!

[Edited on 3-23-2011 by bajacalifornian]

Maddie - 3-22-2011 at 10:07 PM

Such wonderful pictures. Couldn't help but notice how "white" Sola's teeth are, she's got a beautiful smile :spingrin:

DENNIS - 3-23-2011 at 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddie
Such wonderful pictures. Couldn't help but notice how "white" Sola's teeth are, she's got a beautiful smile :spingrin:

She can't be very old.

wessongroup - 3-23-2011 at 06:59 AM

That is one cool dog.. and don-kay .... would think there would be room any place for those guys... might slow ya up... but, for them... it would be worth it...

Some kind of friends to travel with.... what a story.... have enjoyed it all... been super... and if one has a weight problem.. to hell with Jenny Craig's... we all can see how it works... cut down on portions, and get exercise... really very simple... plus very cheap... what ya think in cost Mike in food bill for the last few months...

Nuff, said....

wilderone - 3-23-2011 at 09:54 AM

"Mike might just have to write a book! "
I hope so!! Yours is a Baja classic, Graham. Mike will definitely have to put together a slide show presentation for the "circuit" in San Diego - Discover Baja, Sierra Club, A16, REI - and others after the book is published.

Graham - 3-24-2011 at 11:23 PM

I'll be encouraging Mike to put together a slide show as soon as he returns to San Diego. He's a great story teller and I'm sure his show will be a real crowd pleaser - informative, entertaining and inspiring.

Today's Union-Tribune's article on Mike's trip.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/mar/24/el-cajon-mans...

TMW - 3-25-2011 at 06:25 AM

That was a really nice piece.

surfdoc - 3-26-2011 at 09:50 AM

Any idea when Mike is heading back to El Cajon ?? I'm going up Sunday (unless Juans Tio's party gets out of hand tonight) and would enjoy seeing my friend again.

All of this is good stuff, and awsome to see how relaxed solo is in a car now... you wouldn't believe the tinme we had putting her in my truck that first time...LOL

wilderone - 3-26-2011 at 10:07 AM

Per the article: "Younghusband plans to head back to El Cajon next week, by vehicle."

BajaNomad - 3-26-2011 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rockman
Mike Younghusband arrived at Augie's Bar, Loreto, 18 March, 2011 at 21:45. He will head for El Cajon approx 28 March.

BajaBlanca - 3-26-2011 at 05:37 PM

we are in san diego too !! let's have a grand get together and celebrate !! Mike, when you log on, tell us when you are around and let's see if we can coordinate a beer somewhere ...

bajacalifornian - 3-26-2011 at 06:14 PM

Don-Kay is home, Mike & Solo head home Monday . . .

Today, Mike walked Don-Kay from his temporary home to his permanent home by way of the malecon, town center, arroyo & highway to his new ranch home.

Mike made a point to visit the bookstore El Caballo Blanco. Here, Jeannine, store owner & Judy Leighton gave final best wishes for the trip & future.

A fine ranch with multiple animals for company, Don-Kay is indeed home.

David K - 3-26-2011 at 10:40 PM

Wonderful photos... Thank you Jeff!

Baja Blanca... You guys are up here? Hope we will meet you when we meet Mike... I am standing by to hear when he is back home.

Parting shots

dtutko1 - 3-27-2011 at 09:04 AM

Here's a few parting shots of Mike and entourage. Thanks for the lesson Pomp.

[Edited on 3-27-2011 by BajaNomad]

bajacalifornian - 3-28-2011 at 07:57 PM

Images taken by Mike's family at the finish line . . .

From left to right is Nikki Cox, Tammy Mettler, Mike Younghusband, Desirea Kelley, Layla Mettler & Stephanie Kelley.

BajaNomad - 3-28-2011 at 09:19 PM

Thanks Jeff.

fishabductor - 3-28-2011 at 10:13 PM

I love the owl shirt on the brunnete:O:o:O:o:O

[Edited on 3-29-2011 by fishabductor]

David K - 3-29-2011 at 07:49 AM

Great... Good to see the finish line crossed! Thanks Jeff!!

BajaNomad - 3-31-2011 at 10:06 AM

Mike's home.

We'll be discussing a get-together with Nomads in the very near future somewhere in San Diego County. Stay tuned.

Welcome home Mike. :)

ELINVESTIG8R - 3-31-2011 at 10:22 AM

Welcome back Mike! What a great adventure you had.

Thank you all

MikeYounghusband - 3-31-2011 at 10:37 AM

What a group!!!!! Thank you all!!!! I'm still in a world of dizziness and I'm trying to get my thoughts together. So please bare with me while I wait for my stressed out city life to settle down. How did I ever handle all of this????
You guys and gals are the best there is and I am deeply grateful for all you gave. Soooooo, LETS PARTY.......

Mike Younghusband

BajaGringo - 3-31-2011 at 10:44 AM

Congratulations amigo and we look forward to seeing you again, very soon.

Well done!!!

Ron & Cristina

David K - 3-31-2011 at 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeYounghusband
What a group!!!!! Thank you all!!!! I'm still in a world of dizziness and I'm trying to get my thoughts together. So please bare with me while I wait for my stressed out city life to settle down. How did I ever handle all of this????
You guys and gals are the best there is and I am deeply grateful for all you gave. Soooooo, LETS PARTY.......

Mike Younghusband

Good to have you back in the 'hood' Mike! I answered your u2u just now, as well... See you soon... maps in hand!:light::cool:

See Mike on TV... 3 1/2 minute clip

David K - 4-1-2011 at 03:35 PM

Gringo Gazette TV interview in Cabo San Lucas "Life's an adventure, go out and enjoy it!":

http://www.gringogazette.tv/featured/one_heck_of_an_adventur...

jbcoug - 4-1-2011 at 05:50 PM

Thanks David for bringing this to our attention. That's a great clip. He looks like a very satisfied man.

John

David K - 4-1-2011 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jbcoug
Thanks David for bringing this to our attention. That's a great clip. He looks like a very satisfied man.

John

My pleasure! I am looking forward to meeting Mike... he sounds sincere and happy with what he did!

BajaNomad - 4-1-2011 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Gringo Gazette TV interview in Cabo San Lucas "Life's an adventure, go out and enjoy it!":

http://www.gringogazette.tv/featured/one_heck_of_an_adventur...

[Edited on 4-2-2011 by BajaNomad]

Sallysouth - 4-1-2011 at 10:04 PM

Wow! That was really cool.He really is a nut just like the rest of us(good thing).I specially liked the way he fondled Don Kays' ears and rubbed his forehead, showing just how much he and his animals were connected. What an accomplishment for a not so young man!!

Today we meet Mike, at home!

David K - 4-2-2011 at 09:10 PM

After following Mike here on Baja Nomad for the past 6 months, we finally get to meet the Nomad 'Man-of-the-Year'!

Baja Angel, Christopher and I had a great couple of hours with Mike in his El Cajon home today.

Mike shared many highlights of his 6 month adventure and some of the low points, as well... The people, including the Baja Nomads were all great along the way... One of the big highlights had to be finding Solo, and her staying along to be part of the team.

We are looking forward to the future Power Point presentations and lectures on the adventure... Let's hope a book is not too far down the road!

Today's photos of when I presented Mike with the maps I used to show his location on Baja Nomad and Talk Baja, and a couple of gentle Solo, too:

TMW - 4-3-2011 at 11:09 AM

That's great. Mike looks in pretty good shape for a guy that just walked over a thousand miles. I plan to be there whenever he does a slide show.

shari - 4-3-2011 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Wow! That was really cool.He really is a nut just like the rest of us(good thing).

Sally, that was one of the really cool things about meeting Mike and spending time with him...I LOVE a fellow nut!!!!

David K - 4-4-2011 at 11:15 PM

Mexico Ted... check your phone and u2u please!:cool:

Baja adventurer will work Padres opener

BajaNews - 4-5-2011 at 12:30 AM

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/apr/04/baja-adventur...

By Ed Zieralski
April 4, 2011 at 5:04 p.m.

After more than six months hiking dusty trails and roads of Baja with a burro and a dog, Mike Younghusband was hit Monday morning with the reality of living in Southern California.

The reality check was traffic, and lots of it, as he headed west on Interstate 8 out of El Cajon.

“I forgot what road rage was,” Younghusband joked.

The former El Cajon police officer will return to his post this afternoon with Elite Security.

On Tuesday afternoon for the Padres home-opener, Younghusband will be posted at the Padres stadium gift shop on the first floor of Petco Park’s Western Metal Supply Co. building.

“Elite has been really great to me and is allowing me to go right back to work,” said Younghusband, who recently completed a more than 1,100-mile walk of the length of Baja from Tecate to Cabo San Lucas.

Younghusband met with fellow Baja adventurer Graham Mackintosh on Monday to discuss Younghusband’s plans for a Power Point and seminar presentation that will detail his journey. He also plans to do a book. He has thousands of photos and some videos of his trip.

Younghusband, 61, lost 43 pounds on his incredible journey.

“I lost that in the first two months,” he said.

Younghusband packed a BB gun and a fishing rod and reel. He said the BB gun wasn’t as useful as the fishing gear.

“I was able to scare off some coyotes and horses with the BB gun, but it really didn’t work for hunting like I thought,” he said. He managed a couple of ducks, a dove and a single quail before deciding to put it away.

“I fished a lot and caught a lot of corbina,” he said. “I was on beaches where every cast was a fish. I’d go miles and never see another footprint.”

His burro, Don-Kay, is safe and grazing in a pasture in Loreto. He’s trying to place his dog, Solo, in a good place where the outdoor dog can roam and be free.

“He’s just not a house dog,” Younghusband said.

David K - 4-5-2011 at 07:43 AM

Thanks for the news update!

The Powerpoint show will be great, I am sure... Mike told me he is looking forward to doing the presentations... TIME and LOCATION will be announced!

Pages:  1  ..  13    15