BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  16

David K - 10-19-2010 at 11:44 AM

Thanks Graham! It is great to have you input in this... specially as Mike is 'following in your footsteps'!

Can a tarp just be placed over the burro to keep him dry, or will Don-Kay just freak at such a thing?

Oct. 19

David K - 10-19-2010 at 04:17 PM

Looks like the rain has caused Mike to stop early? This GPS point was posted about 1 pm, about 4 miles from yesterdays camp...

mtgoat666 - 10-19-2010 at 04:20 PM

Baja adventurer making good progress with his burro and two dogs
By Ed Zieralski
Originally published October 19, 2010 at 3:37 p.m., updated October 19, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.
San Diego Union Tribune
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/19/baja-adventur...

DENNIS - 10-19-2010 at 04:21 PM

Jeeeezo...I hope it's too early for snow. That wouldn't be good....at all.

BajaNews - 10-19-2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
By Ed Zieralski
Originally published October 19, 2010 at 3:37 p.m., updated October 19, 2010 at 3:54 p.m.
San Diego Union Tribune
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/19/baja-adventur...

On Friday it will be three weeks since Mike Younghusband set out from Tecate, Baja on his trek adventure to hike the length of Baja with his burro and two dogs.

I promised updates on Mike’s progress on this incredible adventure. I apologize for not posting one sooner. We’ll do better on this, believe me. We wanted to give him a chance to get started and settled into a routine, but we also have had some problems getting accurate GPS readings from his SPOT device. We’re working to correct that.

Here’s the update from both San Diego-based Graham Mackintosh, the Baja adventurer and author who inspired Younghusband to do this, and Mike’s daughter, Tammy Mettler.

Mackintosh is making a quick trip down to see Mike Wednesday or Thursday. He said Mike is nearing San Vicente (well southeast of Ensenada) and has been going along Highway 1 for a spell as he makes his way to the coastal route of Baja. His SPOT device had him between Colonia Lazaro Card##as and San Vicente today. Tammy said Mike was welcomed by people in a small town last Friday. They gave him a motel room for a night and a good meal and then gave sent him on his way the next morning. She said a TV crew already has found him and interviewed him for Mexican TV.

“He has gone well over 100 miles,” Mackintosh said. “He’s really doing quite well. He and Don-Kay are well, and the one dog (Rusty, the Russell terrier) is OK, but the older dog (Max, the 8-year-old) isn’t doing as well and likely will be sent back home.

Graham added that Mike is well-equipped for rain and has a couple of good tents (for him, his dogs and gear) and a tarp for Don-Kay. Graham said Don-Kay may have to graze a bit in the rain, but should be OK.

Both Graham and Tammy say Mike is having the “time of his life.”

Tammy said he told her over the phone that he’s “feeling happier and healthier than he’s ever felt in his life.” He relayed the same message to Graham.

On the news front, Tammy said an assistant with ABC-TV’s Diane Sawyer has contacted her, and she gave the assistant Mike's his cell phone number. They’re going to attempt to travel down and do an interview with Mike.

Mike's adventure story is about to go national.

David K - 10-19-2010 at 05:33 PM

"...but we also have had some problems getting accurate GPS readings from his SPOT device."

Hmmm, maybe the newspaper should have me help?

Graham - 10-19-2010 at 06:02 PM

David, I mentioned to Ed Zieralski that you're doing a great job displaying his route and all he has to do is sign on to bajanomad to follow his progress.

I agree, Mike stopped early! Probably rain falling or threatening.

Wonderful if his story gets national attention.

bajaguy - 10-19-2010 at 06:23 PM

Has anyone on Mike's team (Graham..??) contacted SPOT regarding the GPS problems or about Mike's trip?????......might be worth it in more ways than one.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

krafty - 10-19-2010 at 06:43 PM

this is so much fun keeping track with u bn-hope Mike is staying warm and dry-
we are driving down to Cabo end of Nov.-do not know Mike's route but will have cold cervezas and apples-just in case! :biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 10-19-2010 at 06:56 PM

well, I heard that it was raining in G Negro and the skies all around whereever the eye could see, were black black black all day long here. No rain in La Bocana of course. We saw a heavy rain (and boy it was very heavy) only once in the 4 years we've been here, but sprinkles off and on - maybe once or twice a year.
We are guessing Mike is just taking it easy and being ready ie hunkered down and well covered .. at least we hope so !!
National TV !! What a moment and he deserves every minute of fame ... truly a feat ...

krafty - 10-19-2010 at 09:43 PM

Truly soggy here in Rosarito, pretty much all day. Can't wait for the 15 minutes...........

David K - 10-19-2010 at 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Has anyone on Mike's team (Graham..??) contacted SPOT regarding the GPS problems or about Mike's trip?????......might be worth it in more ways than one.

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Ummm, as I said above, there has been no GPS problems from SPOT. I have received the automatic mailer every day except one just after he started.

shari - 10-20-2010 at 07:12 AM

we are so glad to hear Mike is in good spirits...we havent had any problems with his spot reports either.
I was just thinking that when he's hunkered down in the rain by a raging arroyo, I bet it would be nice to have one of those...not sure what they are called...I Books?? little computers that you can load lots of books onto..be nice to do some reading...maybe he's working on his book on his layovers!...or simply contemplating the universe while watching Don-Kay happily munching on new shoots in the rain.

DENNIS - 10-20-2010 at 07:37 AM

Shari....How did you do on rain down there? Anything??

Graham - 10-20-2010 at 02:17 PM

I’ve also had no problem getting Mike’s Spot email most every day with his location and message that he’s OK. And zooming in on the satellite image I can often see the trail he took off the road or the trees he’s camped behind. An amazing resource.

I’m sure there are all kinds of burro blankets and covers out there, but I never carried anything to keep my burro dry. When it was really cold, I’d sometimes cover him with one of his saddle blankets. But I quickly learned that can be a problem as burros love to roll and “back scratch.”

As the burro is carrying most of the load, arguably it’s better to keep the weight down by getting rid of anything not essential. I’m sure the rain enforced rest will have been good for the whole party.

Hard to imagine how much work is involved in packing, unpacking, camping, breaking camp, cooking and cleaning and looking after all the animals and equipment. Bet the days are just whizzing by, with barely a dull moment, and lots of time to think when in motion... or contemplating the universe by the campfire.

shari - 10-20-2010 at 02:25 PM

we only got a bit of rain...a few squalls...an hour of so of light rain predawn yesterday morning...another little bit around noon...not much but enough to get the ground soaked which was great...only a few puddles.

wessongroup - 10-20-2010 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
I’ve also had no problem getting Mike’s Spot email most every day with his location and message that he’s OK. And zooming in on the satellite image I can often see the trail he took off the road or the trees he’s camped behind. An amazing resource.

I’m sure there are all kinds of burro blankets and covers out there, but I never carried anything to keep my burro dry. When it was really cold, I’d sometimes cover him with one of his saddle blankets. But I quickly learned that can be a problem as burros love to roll and “back scratch.”

As the burro is carrying most of the load, arguably it’s better to keep the weight down by getting rid of anything not essential. I’m sure the rain enforced rest will have been good for the whole party.

Hard to imagine how much work is involved in packing, unpacking, camping, breaking camp, cooking and cleaning and looking after all the animals and equipment. Bet the days are just whizzing by, with barely a dull moment, and lots of time to think when in motion... or contemplating the universe by the campfire.

Thanks ... it all helps..

BajaBlanca - 10-20-2010 at 04:42 PM

It is only the Baja News report that mentioned having trouble with the GPS ...SPOT. Hopefully they have figured out how to use it, since no one else reports having trouble ...

Photo at El Rayo

John M - 10-20-2010 at 05:15 PM

Regretably I cannot learn how to post a decent photo. But, this is what I can do. Maybe I'll send the real image to David and he can make it better.

This is a photo of Mike Younghusband, on the right, near El Rayo on about Monday the 11th of October.

Mike Younghusband 02.jpg - 50kB

2nd photo - Mike Younghusband

John M - 10-20-2010 at 05:25 PM

Perhaps the better side of Don-Kay - as the group continues south.

Near El Rayo, Oct 11

John M

03a.jpg - 41kB

BajaBlanca - 10-20-2010 at 05:27 PM

great pictures !!!! makes is more real somehow !!!!

John M Photo

David K - 10-20-2010 at 05:30 PM

[Edited on 10-21-2010 by David K]

DENNIS - 10-20-2010 at 06:02 PM

El Rayo....Isn't that the lumber mill below or west side of Hanson?

John M Photo

David K - 10-20-2010 at 06:17 PM

David K - 10-20-2010 at 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
El Rayo....Isn't that the lumber mill below or west side of Hanson?

Go up to his map position for Oct. 12... That was at or near El Rayo... downhill from Laguna Hanson, yes.

OCT. 20

David K - 10-20-2010 at 06:44 PM

Mike hasn't moved since yesterday afternoon...

DENNIS - 10-20-2010 at 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mike hasn't moved since yesterday afternoon...

Neither have I. Waiting for the sun to shine.

Graham - 10-20-2010 at 09:22 PM

Hope the sun shines tomorrow and I can meet up with Mike and his buddies on the road.

I bet they all felt that 4.3 earthquake that was epicentered close by.

Great photos John, thanks for posting. Those dogs look so cute ambling along beside the burro.

DENNIS - 10-21-2010 at 07:16 AM

I see clearing skies over the Sierra. Hope all is well up there.

Someone needs to make some little leather shoes, like bags, for the dogs.

Barbareno - 10-21-2010 at 07:21 AM

Wonder how many pairs of shoes Mike will go through.

DENNIS - 10-21-2010 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

Yeah......breaking in a new pair of boots while on the trail sounds like a bad idea.

Brian L - 10-21-2010 at 09:21 AM

Didn't Graham go through 7 on his first trip? Ouch.

I have no idea what it is like to wear a pair of shoes down during a hike. Shows that I need to get off my computer...

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah......breaking in a new pair of boots while on the trail sounds like a bad idea.

bajaguy - 10-21-2010 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
I see clearing skies over the Sierra. Hope all is well up there.

They do.................

http://mountainridge.estoreadvanced.biz/index.php?p=product&...

DENNIS - 10-21-2010 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

They do.................

http://mountainridge.estoreadvanced.biz/index.php?p=product&...

Well....arn't those slick. They should have something like these up there.........maybe soft leather.

encanto - 10-21-2010 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Didn't Graham go through 7 on his first trip? Ouch.

I have no idea what it is like to wear a pair of shoes down during a hike. Shows that I need to get off my computer...

Quote:
Quote:

At least hiking shoes are easier to break in these days compared to the older models Graham had to wear during the 1980s. I also recall he took hand-me-downs back then that may have had the already-worn-in advantage.

[Edited on 10-21-2010 by encanto]

BornFisher - 10-21-2010 at 04:42 PM

Yep-- looking at the pics, and reading what John said, Mike has been adopted by a Baja dog. Looks like a collie mix, a great trail dog I`m sure. Hope Max makes it, but I`m sure Mike will have many chances to add to the pack (animal pack that is!). GOOD LUCK MIKE AND DOGS!!!!!

Oct. 21: THREE WEEKS INTO THE TREK!

David K - 10-21-2010 at 06:06 PM

Mike and the gang are just a half days walk from Highway One now.

David K - 10-21-2010 at 06:14 PM

I will likely be unable to post Mike's location for the next 3 days, as we will be out-of-town to be with a family member who is not well.

I will post each day's location of Mike when we are back. If his GPS location arrives tomorrow before we leave, I will get that up.

[Edited on 10-25-2010 by David K]

BajaBlanca - 10-21-2010 at 08:57 PM

man, he is really truckin'

Brian L - 10-22-2010 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
I will likely not be unable to post Mike's location for the next 3 days, as we will be out-of-town to be with a family member who is not well.

You have a double negative, so I think that means you CAN do it! :spingrin:

Maybe we can ask Mike to stop for a few days and rest so we don't lose track of him...

DENNIS - 10-22-2010 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Maybe we can ask Mike to stop for a few days and rest so we don't lose track of him...

Isn't Shari tracking him as well?

Perhaps next time, this can be set up so we all can track him through Nomad. I know less than zero about this stuff.

David K - 10-22-2010 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I will likely be unable to post Mike's location for the next 3 days, as we will be out-of-town to be with a family member who is not well.

You have a double negative, so I think that means you CAN do it! :spingrin:

Sorry, I was stressed a bit I guess... I will correct the double negative!

shari - 10-22-2010 at 09:04 AM

I am tracking him too but have my plate full with fishermen and baby Izaak!!

wessongroup - 10-22-2010 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the all the work and pictures... really neat to see him and his friends walking along this way... can see in the pictures that he is "hiking".. good tan and his walking boots look pretty good too...

His pals look like they are having a time ..... just great ... thanks again

MAPS of the Journey Revised...

David K - 10-22-2010 at 02:02 PM

With three weeks of walking down Baja now completed... Here is a fresh look of his route and his nightly GPS location plotted on the AAA map.

I made a change from an earlier version map after closely following the roads between his campsites. The corrected route is between Oct. 6 and 7.

Another slight alternate may be the road past the El Hongo prison (Oct. 3)... I highlighted the paved service road, but Mike may have stayed on Hwy. 2 another 0.9 mile to the graded road south.

The only day a SPOT notice wasn't received by me was Oct. 4.

[Edited on 10-22-2010 by David K]

mtgoat666 - 10-22-2010 at 02:03 PM

Quote:

[Edited on 10-21-2010 by David K]

those pack bags are HUGE! they look heavy. poor don-kay!

Cypress - 10-22-2010 at 02:17 PM

Bulk doesn't factor into weight. One of those things that liberals have a hard time understanding.:biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 10-22-2010 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bulk doesn't factor into weight. One of those things that liberals have a hard time understanding.:biggrin:

is that how you justify to yourself your expanding waistline?

David K - 10-23-2010 at 11:39 AM

Mikes gps for Oct 22 is same location as Oct 21. posting from my phone...

Oct. 23, 2010

David K - 10-23-2010 at 05:27 PM

Hi amigos, I am still out of town but able to log on and can report the Mike, Don-Kay, and the dogs have again been on the move and tonight are very near Highway 1, on the dirt road from Valle de Trinidad.

I will update the map and post satellite images when I am back home on my PC.

BajaBlanca - 10-23-2010 at 06:26 PM

wow ... updates via phone .... are we spoiled or what :o:o

woody with a view - 10-23-2010 at 06:44 PM

yep. wait until the next earthquake to see how "spoiled" people really are!

at least we can use our propane fridge, stove, lantern. plug the freezer into the genny every so often to keep the food frozen. 30 gallons of water in Sparklett's bottles.

this might be a topic for a new thread.....

Graham - 10-24-2010 at 01:00 AM

I drove down on Thursday to bring a few supplies to Mike and see how he was doing with Don Kay. Found him in excellent spirits taking a midday rest with the burro unloaded. He looked in great shape... lost at least 15 lbs, maybe 20 lbs on his Baja backroad diet. Tried to fatten him a little with cold beer and pizza.

And Mike has indeed picked up a new dog! A sweet wolf eyed Australian shepherd mix? Just followed him out of the Sierra Juarez and slept outside his tent every night.

I carried the burro's gear for a couple of miles and scouted out a place to camp.

Found a nice quiet spot and stayed there two nights so Mike could make his decision about sending Max home.

Max and Rusty were best buds and seemed inseperable, so a tough decision for Mike. Both seemed to be getting stronger and fitter every day, enjoying chasing lizards, etc.

Both dogs have been sleeping in his tent for three weeks, with Solo on watch outside.

Anyway, their condition aside, Mike was really worried about the little dogs being hit or run over on the road, so I ended up taking both of them back to San Diego. It was sad to have to take them from Mike. They whined a lot at first but settled to sleep most of the way home dreaming of their great Baja adventure.

And Mike carried on with just Don Kay and Solo, heading to Punta Colonet where Mike has a buried supply stash.

The Spot device.

Don Kay had plenty of carrots and apple treats and a few oats to build him up for the next 1000 miles or so.

Cypress - 10-24-2010 at 05:05 AM

Graham, Thanks for the pictures. They're very bright and clear! By the way, if his foot gear holds up I'd like to know what brand.

woody with a view - 10-24-2010 at 05:56 AM

that's awesome about the new dog! i'm on the lookout for one myself. the best pets find their owners, not the other way around!

shari - 10-24-2010 at 07:37 AM

Sheesh,.....not sure why but I shed some tears of happiness seeing Mike and his puppies and that absolutely stunning Don-Kay. I am overwhelmed with emotion for some reason by Mike's quest...so very glad for him to be following his dream. He looks trim!

Thanks so much Graham for your report and dedication to Mike as a friend...I bet he really enjoyed the company and treats. I sure hope we can meet up with him somewhere around here too.

wessongroup - 10-24-2010 at 08:01 AM

Thanks so much.. for the update with pictures...

What a cool trip... really like the Jack Russell licking the other dog.. ours used to do the same to his brother... and the ears on that donkey in that one picture are just just something ... talk about radar...

Great trip ... thanks again to all

David K - 10-24-2010 at 10:01 AM

Thank you so much Graham!!! Your photos are sure great to add more reality to this adventure. I am in Nevada this weekend, but between my cell phone and a borrowed laptop it is great to follow Mike's adventure! Thanks again and I wish Mike great success... I wish I was able to walk the peninsula, it would be great! Someday maybe?

rts551 - 10-24-2010 at 10:52 AM

Many of us will be traveling over the next couple of weeks. Some for the Baja 1000.Others for homes North or South. Is there something special we can bring for Mike along the way. Maybe oats for Don Kay... or replenishment of water?

Graham - 10-24-2010 at 01:35 PM

Mike has been living and breathing this trip for over a year and is very well equipped. He’s even driven most of the road and buried stashes along the way. He’s aware that weight is an issue for Don Kay and he’s seeking to gradually lighten his load. He turned down a couple of cans of beer I offered him “for the road.” So I’m not sure he’d want to take on much.

However, he did say he would love a few large zip-lock plastic bags, a little powdered creamer – preferably French vanilla flavor! And some Crystal Light drink mix – he’s getting tired of the taste of warm water. And I’m sure he wouldn’t say no to water, a little dog food or a can of anything cold for immediate rehydration. Water will be definitely foremost in his mind along the coast south of El Rosario.

He likes a glass of Seagrams 7, but oddly enough, since his trip he has hardly drunk any of his bottle. Most evenings after walking all day and dealing with all the loading and unloading and securing Don Kay and attending to the dogs he’s in his tent writing his journal and ready to sleep by about 7 PM. He’s very conscious when alone of the need to stay alert and ready at a moment’s notice to deal with anything.

His burro is so special, very friendly and trusting, and his new dog Solo is a treasure. The last thing Mike wanted was another dog and when she turned up and followed him, he was hoping it would get bored and leave. He didn’t feed it for two days but she wouldn’t go. In the end he took her in as part of his entourage. Mike became convinced she was sent to be his Guardian Angel, and he has wonderful stories of how Solo has already proved her worth as protector.

I enjoyed my two peaceful nights camping with them all. Brought back happy memories of how much living you can pack into twenty-four hours under God’s heaven, especially in Baja, with a few friendly beasts for company.

Brian L - 10-24-2010 at 01:45 PM

Graham, thanks for the update and pictures! Very nice.

Go Mike Go!

dtbushpilot - 10-24-2010 at 05:08 PM

The flying dog picture is especially cool......dt

Graham - 10-24-2010 at 06:31 PM

Yes. That little guy was having the time of his life flying up and down the road...

David K - 10-24-2010 at 07:20 PM

Great stuff Graham!!!

Okay, I am, back home on my own PC and here are the Google Earth images of Mike's past 3 days plus an updated map...

Sublimity - 10-24-2010 at 09:34 PM

This is truly a great story, one in which continues to get better!

My son (7 yrs. old) and I were with John M., TacoFeliz, Skip, and Bob when we met Mike near Laguna Hansen. It was our our first trip to Baja and also our last night and having the pleasure to see/meet him was truly a perfect ending to a great trip!

My son did a PowerPoint presentation for his classmates, about his trip to Baja. His teacher took much interest to Mike's journey, as did his class-mates (well maybe his class-mates were more intrigued about Don-Kay). However, thanks to the efforts of nomads, we are able to keep up-to-date on his whereabouts, which my son has been relaying to his teacher. We were a bit saddened tonight upon reading the news that the 2 dogs are going home...does he still have the Australian Shepard?

Awesome pictures Graham!

Thanks!

Graham - 10-24-2010 at 09:41 PM

Welcome back David. Thanks for all your painstaking mapwork… really makes it easy to follow Mike’s route.

I printed out all this thread up until October 20 and took it down for him to read. In spite of the fact he had representatives from the BC Secretary of Tourism, a reporter from the San Diego Union-Tribune, and a TV crew and reporters from Mexico there at his send off, Mike was so out of touch and dealing with so many difficulties, he just assumed he had been largely forgotten. Anyway he was pleasantly surprised by the continuing interest and kind words and, above all thanked you David for all you’re doing.

Looking at his progress Sunday I would expect Mike will head down the highway to Colonet on Monday and then walk out to the Johnson Ranch/San Antonio area where he has his first stash, including a very large bottle of Seagrams buried!

Will be interesting to know if its still there, or if some of the locals have recently had a very jolly time.

Mike told me his father had a place in the area in the early 1960s and he has many happy memories of coming down with his family in his father’s 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 when the journey from the border took about 12 hours.

A chance he may rest another day out there on the coast and then work his way south to San Quintin doing his best to stay off the blacktop. Don Kay should be easy to spot on those roads by the coast.

Graham - 10-24-2010 at 10:11 PM

Barring accident or snake bite, I'm sure Solo, the new dog, will be going all the way to Cabo San Lucas. Mike was singing her praises and she was obviously working her way into his affections by the day... even though she helped herself to a whole bag of beef jerky that Mike had left around camp.

She's a really smart, and street smart, low maintenance independent Baja dog.

I know Mike will be sad tonight without Max and Rusty, but I bet he's glad Solo is out there keeping watch.

Thanks Sublimity for telling us about your son's PowerPoint presentation to his classmates. That's neat.

David K - 10-25-2010 at 07:56 AM

Quote:
Welcome back David. Thanks for all your painstaking mapwork… really makes it easy to follow Mike’s route.

I printed out all this thread up until October 20 and took it down for him to read. In spite of the fact he had representatives from the BC Secretary of Tourism, a reporter from the San Diego Union-Tribune, and a TV crew and reporters from Mexico there at his send off, Mike was so out of touch and dealing with so many difficulties, he just assumed he had been largely forgotten. Anyway he was pleasantly surprised by the continuing interest and kind words and, above all thanked you David for all you’re doing.

Looking at his progress Sunday I would expect Mike will head down the highway to Colonet on Monday and then walk out to the Johnson Ranch/San Antonio area where he has his first stash, including a very large bottle of Seagrams buried!

Will be interesting to know if its still there, or if some of the locals have recently had a very jolly time.

Mike told me his father had a place in the area in the early 1960s and he has many happy memories of coming down with his family in his father’s 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 when the journey from the border took about 12 hours.

A chance he may rest another day out there on the coast and then work his way south to San Quintin doing his best to stay off the blacktop. Don Kay should be easy to spot on those roads by the coast.

I am glad that Mike approves of the detailed map-work... it is my pleasure to do! I hope he handles the wet weather okay... Did he mention the earthquake of last week, it was centered almost below him between Valle de Trinidad and San Vicente!?

wilderone - 10-25-2010 at 08:35 AM

"Crystal Light drink mix"
better powdered mixes providing electrolyte replacement, vit. C, etc. would be better. I'd be happy to provide if the opportunity arises.

David, it would be terrific to backpack a couple days with him - would he mind? Could this be arranged? I know he'd be generally away from main roads, and I'd probably have to hike back out the same way I came to get back to my car, but that would be great fun. Is this doable at some point?

David K - 10-25-2010 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
"Crystal Light drink mix"
better powdered mixes providing electrolyte replacement, vit. C, etc. would be better. I'd be happy to provide if the opportunity arises.

David, it would be terrific to backpack a couple days with him - would he mind? Could this be arranged? I know he'd be generally away from main roads, and I'd probably have to hike back out the same way I came to get back to my car, but that would be great fun. Is this doable at some point?

I think Graham can answer your question better, Cindi.

Mulegena - 10-25-2010 at 10:02 AM

Would it be possible to do updates with the San Diego news agencies? This would let him know everybody's thinking about him and be great, positive news about Baja.

David K - 10-25-2010 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
Would it be possible to do updates with the San Diego news agencies? This would let him know everybody's thinking about him and be great, positive news about Baja.

Graham mentioned above that he talked with the writer/ reporter and mentioned how we are doing here on Nomad with posting his location/ progress... The ball is in their court and I am happy to assist if they ask.

Graham - 10-25-2010 at 11:12 AM

Mike felt the earthquake big time. As he told it to me, he was in the tent with his two dogs when there was a bang and the ground started shaking and the two dogs were looking at him as if to say "what do we do now daddy." Mike said he felt three quakes in quick succession.

I'm sure he would love company, especially there around the towns from Colonet to El Rosario. There is so much to deal with and think about and be responsible for, you can relax just a bit with a trusted companion... and maybe allow yourself a little drop of that whiskey.

He likes to drink it with diet 7-up... and definitely bring the electrolytes and a few apples and carrots. Like gold to Don Kay. I remember from my wanderings with burros... it's wonderful to be alone and relaxed but boy... what a delight meeting a friendly face and sharing a campsite or just having someone close by.

To give Don Kay a break I took his gear in my pickup and gave him an easy afternoon walking. As Mike thinks through his needs he may want to give up some gear and supplies for the struggle ahead. My burro Mision started with around 180 lbs, give or take a 12-pack, and I gradually got it down to 100-120 lbs.

The Union-Trib is following Mike with great interest, as are the PR folks for Baja tourism. Not to mention the other outlets mentioned earlier.

DirkEXC - 10-25-2010 at 03:22 PM

Gram, can you tell the story on how Solo proved himself ?

It it to bad the Jack Russel will not be making the trip, I was rooting for him. The JR would have covered at least 2,000 miles on his way to the tip.

In Colonet on Oct. 25

David K - 10-25-2010 at 05:43 PM

[Edited on 10-26-2010 by David K]

David K - 10-25-2010 at 06:06 PM

What is handy with the Auto Club map are all roads on the map have mileages... Yesterday, Mike walked about 9.5 miles (he camped one mile east of the highway on the 23rd.). Today, he walked about 7 miles.

The distance from Valle de Trinidad to Hwy. 1 is 39.5 miles, less the 1 mile short from Hwy. 1 where he camped. On the 4 days that he walked 18th, 19th, 21st, and 23rd he averaged 9.6 miles a day.

BajaBlanca - 10-25-2010 at 08:31 PM

amazing !! I can really relate to the feelings Mike must be having since I just finished Into a Desert Place and tonight I start Journey with a Baja Burro.
David - what you are doing is nothing short of fantastic -

and Graham - the pictures are wonderful and absolutely exhude glee ...

Graham - 10-25-2010 at 09:58 PM

Thanks BajaBlanca. When you read the burro book you’ll see that so far Mike and I took pretty much the same route. So it was kind of fun for me to head up that road towards Valle Trinidad and visit with him. Lots of memories and shared experiences.

Mike has a truly exceptional burro. Friendly, handsome, photogenic, mischievous, and wonderfully mellow…

And Mike seems to be learning to take it easy and adapt to his burro pace.

And all his dogs are real cool characters. Right to the end Mike was struggling with his decision to part with Rusty and Max. In the end his concern about their safety made the decision for him. Max jumped in my truck and claimed the passenger seat as soon as I opened the door… I think he was ready to take his leave.

But I’m sure Jack Russell Rusty would have done the 2000 miles. That guy was tireless… talk about glee! Mike really agonized about sending him home.

And Solo has the same fine qualities as the burro. And she has been fearlessly going after coyotes that approach in the night. Mike was grateful to her when a couple of drunks stopped on the road at night when they saw the campfire and walked over… Solo sensed Mike wanted nothing to do with them and she drove them off. Otherwise she’s quiet and mellow at all the right times, like at ranches and with soldiers at the drug check points.

They look to me like a real winning team.

And I echo the appreciation for David’s efforts with showing his route and progress. Muchas gracias.

I have to wonder if Mike did a few extra miles today to recover his supplies, or whether he’ll head that way tomorrow. According to the satellite image, looks like he’s been given hospitality in town tonight, he’s camped in what looks like someone’s backyard.

I love the way he’s out there doing this, braving everything, dealing with his limited Spanish, and the fact he’s over 60, and just plodding happily steadily along with Don Kay heading to Cabo, taking it all in his stride.

What a story he’ll have at the end of the journey.

[Edited on 10-26-2010 by Graham]

David K - 10-26-2010 at 06:47 AM

I am very happy to be a tiny part of the story telling of Mike's adventure... Thanks for the really interesting updates and photos Graham!

DianaT - 10-26-2010 at 07:42 AM

Great Photos,

It is good to know he is doing well. I imagine it was super difficult to send the little dogs home, but it sounds like he made the best decision for their welfare---very unselfish on his part, as I am sure he will miss them terribly.

Hope it all continues to go well for him!

Byron - 10-26-2010 at 11:20 AM

Maybe someone planning on meeting up with Mike could bring a collar and tag for Solo ?

BajaBlanca - 10-26-2010 at 04:32 PM

:light:

Mike reaches the Pacific Ocean!

David K - 10-26-2010 at 05:20 PM

OCT. 26, Bahia Colonet...

David K - 10-26-2010 at 05:57 PM

RichBaja - 10-26-2010 at 09:35 PM

Loving this story as it unfolds. Where did he get the donkey and what will he do with it when the trip is over?

David K - 10-26-2010 at 10:06 PM

Read the newspaper article at the start of this thread (page 1) and also search all posts by spi619 (that's Mike's Nomad handle).

Here is his first post on the burro trip idea: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=44343

Graham - 10-26-2010 at 11:56 PM

Looking at where Mike, Don Kay and Solo have bedded down tonight, I guess it's just about where I took this picture of my old amigo Mision back in 1997. Punta Colonet in the background.

Mike picked up his burro from Rancho Ojai east of Tecate. He has a place in Loreto. And at Journey's end Mike wants to get him back there from Cabo to enjoy a happy retirement.

Barbareno - 10-27-2010 at 05:20 AM

Bet it was a thrill to see the ocean.

TMW - 10-27-2010 at 08:00 AM

If he needs any whiskey delivered on the trail I'm ready willing and able. I just need to know if he wants the good stuff (like JD) or the cheap stuff (Albertson house brand).

shari - 10-27-2010 at 08:08 AM

way to go TW...I'm thinkin might be a good idea to put it into some kind of ziplock or light weight drinkable bag type thingy...sounds like Mike doesnt have much time for c-cktail hours (plus he's on a natural high I bet) but it would be a neat thing to share with lonesome cowboys out on the range.

David K - 10-27-2010 at 09:05 AM

What's the best Shari: Canadian Club or Canadian Mist? :lol:

bajaguy - 10-27-2010 at 09:08 AM

Neither....those are the low end brands...........try Alberta Springs 10 Year Rye Whiskey

Graham - 10-27-2010 at 09:17 AM

Most likely Mike will be packing his burro right now looking out at that scene. He tends to leave about 9 AM. Maybe he'll need a little extra time to dry the tent there on the Pacific?

I don't think he'll need or want much whiskey just now. Says he's never been happier, weight way down, blood pressure down, feeling relaxed, in the tent by dark and sleeping.

But just in case, he did have half a gallon buried in his stash at Colonet. If it was still there... he may end up trading it for lobsters or stuff he needs.

Seagrams is his drink. But he didn't mind the little drop of Scotch I brought down.

On that stretch of my journey, I really appreciated having secure places to stay. Only once did I have to sleep out alone, on the mesas near Camulu.

I stayed at Shipwreck, Jim and Suzie's old Rancho Sireno B and B, Cielito Lindo (AKA Donkey Heaven), and El Socorro. And was so grateful for the extra security at each.

If anyone with a place along the coast could offer Mike and Don Kay a spot for the night they'd be doing an old navy guy a great service.

I don't think it will be hard to find him walking along with David's great maps and images. And Don Kay just glows in the moonlight.

David K - 10-27-2010 at 10:30 AM

Wasn't it cool when Dave and Juanita invited you and Misión into Cielito Lindo?

http://bajadetour.books.officelive.com/images/Scan0016.JPG

See more of Graham's photos at http://www.grahammackintosh.com

Von - 10-27-2010 at 11:25 AM

Ths is such an awesome story and adventure! im really enjoying it!

Graham - 10-27-2010 at 04:24 PM

Ah! Cielito Lindo!
Those margaritas!

It was the perfect place for a burro to relax after a hard day on the trail.

So many friends. Mision did not want to leave...

David K - 10-27-2010 at 04:38 PM

Great photo! :cool:

Oct. 27 Punta San Jacinto

David K - 10-27-2010 at 06:08 PM

About 8 miles down the coast today...

desertcpl - 10-27-2010 at 07:18 PM

this is great ,, thanks David and Graham

RichBaja - 10-27-2010 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Looking at where Mike, Don Kay and Solo have bedded down tonight, I guess it's just about where I took this picture of my old amigo Mision back in 1997. Punta Colonet in the background.

Mike picked up his burro from Rancho Ojai east of Tecate. He has a place in Loreto. And at Journey's end Mike wants to get him back there from Cabo to enjoy a happy retirement.

Thanks for answering my question Graham.

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  16