BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  16

TMW - 10-28-2010 at 07:35 AM

["And Don Kay just glows in the moonlight.']

Now that is funny with Holloween upon us to see a glowing burro walking across the plains at night.

Graham - 10-28-2010 at 09:46 AM

There won't be much of a moon for the big night...

but Don Kay is ready with his scary BOO!

sanquintinsince73 - 10-28-2010 at 12:15 PM

DavidK, where do you suppose Mike will be on Friday? I will be in SQ Friday from around 11:00 am on.

David K - 10-28-2010 at 03:29 PM

It is hard to predict, because he can either walk each day.. or stay one day in the same spot... ???

His GPS signal arrives arout 5 pm... If he continues doing up to 10 miles each day, he could be near 'Costa Brava' west of Colonia Guerrero tonight and along Playa San Ramon Friday night (west of San Quintin town).

sanquintinsince73 - 10-28-2010 at 04:29 PM

Can you post his location Friday evening? I'll try to find internet in SQ and drop in on him.

BajaGeoff - 10-28-2010 at 04:39 PM

Man is it fun to watch his progress south! I am stoked for Mike and hope he and his furry companions are having a great time...

David K - 10-28-2010 at 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Can you post his location Friday evening? I'll try to find internet in SQ and drop in on him.

Of course... I will post every day I am here, and will catch up or post from my phone if I am away!

I will go check my email now and see if it is there!

OCT. 28 (same as 27th)

David K - 10-28-2010 at 05:09 PM

Mike took a day off from walking and is in the same place as last night... Punta San Jacinto/ El Barco on the 2003 and 2009 Baja Almanacs. Punta San Jacinto on the AAA map.

rts551 - 10-28-2010 at 05:32 PM

d.mit I pulled off at that turn off toda\y on the way down.. I n Jardines now.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Mike took a day off from walking and is in the same place as last night... Punta San Jacinto/ El Barco on the 2003 and 2009 Baja Almanacs. Punta San Jacinto on the AAA map.

David K - 10-28-2010 at 05:33 PM

OCT. 28 (same as 27th)

Graham - 10-29-2010 at 12:01 PM

Looks like Mike found a secure spot to camp there at Punta San Jacinto, next to some houses on the beach. Maybe he was able to leave Don Kay and Solo in someone's care and get into town to buy a dog collar or whatever else he might need.

Hard to go shopping when you have to tie up your loaded burro and leave your dog outside.

Hope he gets a chance to try out that telescopic fishing pole he's carrying. Should be a big help to him as he more or less follows the Pacific coast all the way down to Guerrero Negro.

Cypress - 10-29-2010 at 12:06 PM

Mike is doing what a lot of us would like to do, the only thing stopping us is ourselves. Go for it!

windgrrl - 10-29-2010 at 12:43 PM

This is a most excellent adventure. Thanks for the status updates, maps and photos. Hope there is a book and a movie to follow!

Oct. 29

David K - 10-29-2010 at 06:46 PM

More good progress... at least 9 more miles down the coast today!

Bob H - 10-29-2010 at 09:44 PM

Wow, great reports.... loosing weight... fantastic adventure! Good look'n donkey. lol
Bob H

David K - 10-29-2010 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl
This is a most excellent adventure. Thanks for the status updates, maps and photos. Hope there is a book and a movie to follow!

Until Mike writes one... read (or re-read) Graham Mackintosh's 'Journey with a Baja Burro', which is what inspired Mike! Order at http://www.grahammackintosh.com It is the second of Graham's four Baja adventure books.

OCT. 30, 2010 Colonia V. Guerrero

David K - 10-30-2010 at 06:40 PM

Mike and crew are along the bank of the Santo Domingo river between the beach and Hwy. 1... alos just over a mile from Irene's Posada Don Diego RV Park and Restaurant!

Graham - 10-30-2010 at 10:34 PM

Mike called me from his cell phone tonight. He said he had found a nice secluded place to camp in a little "oasis" in Arroyo Santo Domingo, complete with a pool of fresh water.

He had picked up his buried stash near Punta Colonet - with water and half a gallon of whiskey intact - which gives him confidence about recovering the other supplies buried all the way down Baja. Ironically, he felt at this stage, he didn’t really need most of that extra 40 lbs weight as he's trying to lighten the burro's load, and he’ll probably end up giving away some of it, and also some of the equipment he’s carrying that he’s appreciating he can do without.

So far, sounds like he’s been camping alone along the Pacific. The caretaker at Punta San Jacinto (Shipwreck) let him stay a couple of nights in front of one of the empty beach houses, so he was able to rest Don Kay and Solo.

Mike sure misses his two dogs. He can’t help thinking of them back in San Diego missing him and missing out on what they’ve trained for a whole year… They’d gone through rattlesnake avoidance courses, he’d bought little boots for their paws, and doggy jackets… they’d gone everywhere with him, and lightened his journey for about 140 miles. But he is so grateful for his newfound "guardian angel" – Solo. She led him to the great campsite this evening. It might be tough, but he knows he’s done the right thing for Max and Rusty.

He’ll decide tommorrow about either picking up Highway One for a while, or following a road closer to the coast till he has to head in towards San Quintin. Then he may go by way of the Old Mill.

He would love a visit from any fellow nomads. And he’s probably ready for a night in a motel room… there won’t be too many once he ventures beyond El Rosario.

When he can find a place to safely leave his traveling buddies and his gear, he's hoping to visit somewhere he can use the internet.

Wherever you are tomorrow evening Mike, Happy Halloween.

Oct. 31, 2010

David K - 10-31-2010 at 06:05 PM

Mike's new location is about 3 miles south of last night's... Looks like he is staying off the beach and going around Laguna Figueroa.... This is just northwest of that Tourist Information Center on Hwy. 1.

Brian L - 10-31-2010 at 08:55 PM

I've just started reading it this weekend. Great so far!!!!

I hope Mike isn't dealing with some of the things Graham dealt with. Although it was El Nino the year Graham went...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

Until Mike writes one... read (or re-read) Graham Mackintosh's 'Journey with a Baja Burro', which is what inspired Mike! Order at http://www.grahammackintosh.com It is the second of Graham's four Baja adventure books.

BajaGringo - 10-31-2010 at 09:12 PM

DavidK - as Mike is quickly approaching our area, is there any way I can get a hold of him to see if we can help him out with anything he needs?

fandango - 10-31-2010 at 10:35 PM

bajagringo: check your u2u.

Route South of San Quintin

Dave - 10-31-2010 at 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
He would love a visit from any fellow nomads. And he’s probably ready for a night in a motel room… there won’t be too many once he ventures beyond El Rosario.

Will he be heading over to the Cortez side or take the coastal route South to GN?

David K - 10-31-2010 at 10:45 PM

Hi BajaGringo... I just replied to your question over on TalkBaja.com

I do not have a way of talking to Mike, but if he has an emergency or an urgent need, I (and others) will be notified via his SPOT device... If he needs help from Nomads... I WILL POST here, as there is enough of us north and south of the border to come to his aid.

As you could read what Graham said above... Mike has a cell phone as well... and there is cell service as far as EL ROSARIO area.

I am sure he is having the time of his life and all will go well for him!

David K - 10-31-2010 at 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Will he be heading over to the Cortez side or take the coastal route South to GN?

No plans for the Cortez side until he is near La Purisima (south of Scorpion Bay), when he will cross over and go to Loreto... Of course he could change that.

BajaGringo - 10-31-2010 at 11:00 PM

OK, I know the route he is following so let me head out in the morning and see if I can track him down...

David K - 10-31-2010 at 11:04 PM

He should be real easy to spot... and he gets underway about 9 am it has been said. Tell him hi from us and I hope he knows the entire world wide web is following him every night!

DianaT - 10-31-2010 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
OK, I know the route he is following so let me head out in the morning and see if I can track him down...

Good Luck---hope you connect with him.

shari - 11-1-2010 at 06:59 AM

Graham...do you know if Mike has a prepaid card cell phone? It would be fun to set up a phone hour and call him...and of course we could send him saldo too...i think he has a charger so that isnt a problem....kinda llike one of those give aways...first caller wins a chat with mike!

BajaBlanca - 11-1-2010 at 09:30 AM

It would be neat to have a log of how many of us bajanomaders get to meet him - He has been informed that he is welcome to come and hang out in La Bocana to rest up for a couple days ... wish we had some grass for munching, but apples and carrots will have to do !! we can share some of Rex's dog food too !! And I will cook up some delicious meals !! wonder whose house he will be near at Thanksgiving ???!!!

Brian L - 11-1-2010 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
It would be neat to have a log of how many of us bajanomaders get to meet him - He has been informed that he is welcome to come and hang out in La Bocana to rest up for a couple days ... wish we had some grass for munching, but apples and carrots will have to do !! we can share some of Rex's dog food too !! And I will cook up some delicious meals !! wonder whose house he will be near at Thanksgiving ???!!!

I think MIke may like something more than grass, apples, and carrots. Don Kay would like all that, but please, feed the man some decent human food! :lol:

MONTH 1 (OCT.) DISTANCE DATA (estimate)

David K - 11-1-2010 at 09:58 AM

Good Morning, as today is Nov. 1... and Mike began his walk with Don-Kay on Oct. 1, I thought I would estimate the miles he has walked in the first month.

I am using the AAA map as it has mileages on all the roads, and Mike has almost always been on or parallel to the roads. The mileage numbers are rounded up to the next whole number.

As you know, he has rested on a few days... so the total is an average for both the days walking and days not walking.

Oct. 1 - Oct. 7 = 39 miles
Oct. 8 - Oct. 14 = 48 miles
Oct. 15 - Oct. 21 = 61 miles
Oct. 22 - Oct. 28 = 49 miles
Oct. 29 - Oct. 31 = 22 miles

Total for October = 219 miles

Daily average = 7.06 miles.

The most miles in one day is approx. 14

Naturally, there could be much more walking than just the point to point distances on a map. Perhaps Mike is keeping a GPS log for each day's distance?

Good job Mike!

At this pace, he should be in the Seven Sisters region at the end of November (Punta Blanco to Santa Rosalillita) or beyond if his pace increases?

Maybe Bahia Asuncion to Punta Abreojos region by the end of November?

Just estimates, naturally!

Graham - 11-1-2010 at 10:22 AM

Wow! Great number crunching for month number one David. Helps see the big picture, and what he need to do over the next five months or so.

I know Mike has a Mexican cell phone and a solar charger… but otherwise I don’t know the details. Most of the time it’s off, and he only uses it to check in occasionally with his family, and have it ready and charged in an emergency. And sometimes, of course, there won’t be a signal.

When he called me the other day… that was the first time he’d done so. He said he’d call me again soon. I’ll ask him if he wants to choose a time slot when he can be available for calls… or if anyone meets up with him maybe they can ask.

I'm sure it will do wonders for his morale if he hears about the support and kind offers of accomodation ahead.

David K - 11-1-2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote:

It will be fun to hear if Ron (BajaGringo) found Mike this morning!

BajaGringo - 11-1-2010 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:

It will be fun to hear if Ron (BajaGringo) found Mike this morning!

I took off this morning to find Mike and based on the location DavidK mapped out I figured that they were heading along the old Camino Real. That would be a good choice through these parts as along many of the roads here in the ag areas you will run into gates and fences. The Camino Real is considered a federal road and access must be kept open. So I drove up north along Highway One to just where the hill starts to head up to make it over to Vicente Guerrero. There I took a side dirt road heading west towards the beach until I got to El Camino Real and slowly started driving south.

I started getting concerned after a few miles, especially after a couple of locals I asked along the way if they had seen him all shook their heads no. I was beginning to wonder if Mike had headed toward the highway or was making his way back toward the beach (that would not be a good move with Don-Kay in this stretch of terrain).

Continuing on the Camino Real I finally thought I saw something ahead. I took out my camera with the telephoto and sure enough, it was Mike, Don-Kay and two dogs moving along south.

Once we met up I had the pleasure to formally introduce myself to Mike and his traveling companions. Really great guy and after 32 days on the trail I thought he would like a break from his regular trail food so I promised to track him back down tonight.

Cristina and I will bring him a hot dinner as well as some adult beverages and ice to share a toast or two. Will bring some treats for the rest of the crew as well.

I would link the photos here but they are large and would run off the page. If you are interested you can see them here in a post I added to a related thread there:

Photos of Mike and Don-Kay near San Quintin

If any of you have the chance to meet him along the way I strongly suggest you take the time and make the effort!

:D

[Edited on 11-1-2010 by BajaGringo]

Graham - 11-1-2010 at 03:55 PM

Thanks for posting the update Ron.

Sounds like he will really enjoy your company this evening.

Two dogs! Has Mike a new amigo?

David K - 11-1-2010 at 04:04 PM

Quote:

? When did he gain the Lab???

(photo by BajaGringo 11-1-10)

BajaGringo - 11-1-2010 at 04:32 PM

Quote:

Mike shared with me that the lab was at San Jacinto and hung out with him the entire time while he was there. When the traveling party broke camp and started heading south again, the lab just followed along.

Mike also told me that both the dogs must be Mexican because it seems that neither one understands a word of English.

:lol:

Will take a couple more photos tonight and post them later...

Nov. 1: Lazaro Card##as/ Bahia San Quintin

David K - 11-1-2010 at 06:19 PM

Mike, Don-Kay, and the two dogs advanced about 12 miles today!

[Edited on 11-2-2010 by David K]

BajaGringo - 11-1-2010 at 08:52 PM

We went back and had dinner with Mike and his clan tonight. I posted some more photos...

Having dinner with Mike and Don-Kay near San Quintin

:D

Bajaboy - 11-1-2010 at 09:05 PM

This is really cool. I remember meeting Graham as he was walking through Catavina with his donkey.

Zac

Graham - 11-2-2010 at 10:48 AM

Such happy memories...

Returning to Catavina wet and wiser from my ill-fated attempt to follow the mission trail down to Gonzaga, after visiting Mission Santa Maria

Burro Mision needed lots of TLC to recover from all his falls and stumbles.

That sure is a nice looking Lab Mike has picked up... sounds like if you want to find a great dog in Baja, just go trolling with a friendly burro and you're going to hook up with a bunch of them!

Not sure what he'll do now... they all seem to be getting along well.. but he'll sure need a little extra dog chow.

BajaNomad - 11-2-2010 at 01:06 PM

Graham,

I enjoy the pictures you've posted - of both your visit with Mike, as well as from your own trip down the peninsula - so incredibly much.

Thank you for having taken the time to share them here.

:)

-
Doug

[Edited on 11-2-2010 by BajaNomad]

BajaBlanca - 11-2-2010 at 02:27 PM

:yes::yes: We sure hope Mike makes it to La Bocana so we can show him a good time and so he can get a well deserved rest :yes::yes:

NOV. 2, 2010

David K - 11-2-2010 at 06:30 PM

Mike and the gang advanced about 5 miles today and have set up camp on the older route of Mex. 1, just north of where the San Simon river washed it a out a couple times soon after the highway was paved in 1973. Hwy. 1 was re-routed up to the hillside to cross the river at a better location.

David K - 11-2-2010 at 09:28 PM

I wonder if BajaGringo saw him one more time?

NOV. 3

David K - 11-3-2010 at 07:03 PM

Mike advanced about 8 miles today and is camping near the big sand dunes north of El Socorro...

NOV. 3 MAP

David K - 11-3-2010 at 07:18 PM

Maddie - 11-3-2010 at 10:02 PM

Hi, I'm new to BajaNomad. I don't actually live in Baja, but I did take a motorcycle trip from Salem, Oregon to Cabo San Lucas back in 1999 and it was an experience that I cherish.

I found the site while searching for information on Mike and his adventure. I first read about it in the paper written by ED ZIERALSKI way back in September and was surprised to find that there has not been greater news coverage on his adventure.

I have posted the news stories on my site and have added some of the postings I've found on this site. I really hope you don't mind. I have enjoyed reading about his adventure, especially the two new dogs joining. It was very sad that he had to part from Rusty and Max.

I will continue to post updates on my site for other readers to enjoy! Please feel free to ad to it. www.cabofriends.net

sanquintinsince73 - 11-3-2010 at 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Maddie
Hi, I'm new to BajaNomad. I don't actually live in Baja, but I did take a motorcycle trip from Salem, Oregon to Cabo San Lucas back in 1999 and it was an experience that I cherish.

I found the site while searching for information on Mike and his adventure. I first read about it in the paper written by ED ZIERALSKI way back in September and was surprised to find that there has not been greater news coverage on his adventure.

I have posted the news stories on my site and have added some of the postings I've found on this site. I really hope you don't mind. I have enjoyed reading about his adventure, especially the two new dogs joining. It was very sad that he had to part from Rusty and Max.

I will continue to post updates on my site for other readers to enjoy! Please feel free to ad to it. www.cabofriends.net

Welcome Maddie.

David K - 11-4-2010 at 08:00 AM

Quote:

Yah, welcome aboard! You are welcome to use the maps I am making to follow Mike down Baja!

BajaBlanca - 11-4-2010 at 10:54 AM

found an alfalfa connection so that DonKay has food while visiting us :yes::yes:

Maddie - 11-4-2010 at 02:13 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yah, welcome aboard! You are welcome to use the maps I am making to follow Mike down Baja!

Thanks for the welcome, and I'm glad you don't mind me reposting, I will always let everyone know that the info came from BajaNomad.com I can't find anyone else that's keeping current with this story!

DENNIS - 11-4-2010 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm glad you don't mind me reposting,

Glad to see you doing just that. Wecome aboard and jump right in whenver you want.

NOV. 4, 2010

David K - 11-4-2010 at 06:41 PM

Mike and the gang are about 4 miles south of El Socorro tonight...

Graham - 11-4-2010 at 07:52 PM

Actually, the Union-Tribune did an update on Mike today. Included references to bajanomad.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/04/baja-adventur...

I'm heading to Loreto on Tuesday - book signing and slide show at Caballo Blanco Friday - hope to find Mike again before he gets too far from El Rosario and the highway. But boy, he's cooking. Just keeps on burning up the miles.

Hope Don Kay, Solo and Yeller are doing well.

Marita-LosOlivos - 11-4-2010 at 11:41 PM

On Tuesday (Nov.2nd) a little before noon, my twin daughters, my son and I were turning onto the Old Mill road from a dirt road by our house, in San Quintin, we saw Mike and his Donkey. Mike waved and smiled at us as we drove by. My daughters thought I should of offered him a ride, I said "and where would we have put the donkey?" My daughters were upset that we did not stop and talk to him or take a picture with Mike and his donkey. We figured he was walking around Baja, at first I thought it was Graham McIntosh taking the trek again.

Mike I wish you luck and look forward to reading about your trip in Baja.

[Edited on 11-5-2010 by Marita-LosOlivos]

[Edited on 11-5-2010 by Marita-LosOlivos]

Bob H - 11-5-2010 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Actually, the Union-Tribune did an update on Mike today. Included references to bajanomad.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/nov/04/baja-adventur...

I'm heading to Loreto on Tuesday - book signing and slide show at Caballo Blanco Friday - hope to find Mike again before he gets too far from El Rosario and the highway. But boy, he's cooking. Just keeps on burning up the miles.

Hope Don Kay, Solo and Yeller are doing well.

Great article.... thanks for posting this. Fantastic story unfolding here.

NOV. 5, 2010

David K - 11-5-2010 at 07:41 PM

Mike and friends hiked about 8 miles today (6 mi. on the 4th and 8 miles on the 3rd)... and is paralleling Hwy. 1 as it climbs up the El Rosaio Mesa... He is about a mile south of the La Lobera access road and a bit off the highway...

This view I did different, looking east instead of the usual north:

Here is a zoom in... You can see the La Lobera crater... none of the buildings yet, as this image was taken in 2003:

Here is the map...

TMW - 11-6-2010 at 04:51 PM

I hope Baja Cactus has a room for Mike and Don Kay. They both might need a warm shower and soft bed.

Nov. 6, 2010

David K - 11-6-2010 at 05:10 PM

Mike and his crew are in El Rosario tonight... near Ed's Baja's best Bed & Breakfast...

The yellow pins for Rosario-1 and Rosario-2 are the locations of the two mission sites of Rosario.

[Edited on 11-7-2010 by David K]

Bob H - 11-6-2010 at 06:27 PM

How in the heck was Mike's treck mapped out? Incredible voyage.
Bob H

LaTijereta - 11-6-2010 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
I drove down on Thursday to bring a few supplies to Mike and see how he was doing with Don Kay. Found him in excellent spirits taking a midday rest with the burro unloaded. He looked in great shape... lost at least 15 lbs, maybe 20 lbs on his Baja backroad diet. Tried to fatten him a little with cold beer and pizza.

Looks to be using the SPOT device tracking "Adventures" option to post his progress..

And Mike has indeed picked up a new dog! A sweet wolf eyed Australian shepherd mix? Just followed him out of the Sierra Juarez and slept outside his tent every night.

I carried the burro's gear for a couple of miles and scouted out a place to camp.

Found a nice quiet spot and stayed there two nights so Mike could make his decision about sending Max home.

Max and Rusty were best buds and seemed inseperable, so a tough decision for Mike. Both seemed to be getting stronger and fitter every day, enjoying chasing lizards, etc.

Both dogs have been sleeping in his tent for three weeks, with Solo on watch outside.

Anyway, their condition aside, Mike was really worried about the little dogs being hit or run over on the road, so I ended up taking both of them back to San Diego. It was sad to have to take them from Mike. They whined a lot at first but settled to sleep most of the way home dreaming of their great Baja adventure.

And Mike carried on with just Don Kay and Solo, heading to Punta Colonet where Mike has a buried supply stash.

The Spot device.

Don Kay had plenty of carrots and apple treats and a few oats to build him up for the next 1000 miles or so.

MikeYounghusband - 11-7-2010 at 10:57 AM

Hi Guys and Gals, wow what a great response. Having a wonderful time all is good with Don-Kay and Solo. I am staying at Baja's Best which is about the last restaruant hotel on the right as you are leaving El Rosario. What a great place, great food and the rooms are like something out of a travel magazine. Ed LUSK (the owner) was gracious enough to let me stay here a couple of days. Don-Kay is a couple of doors down grazing at Duffy's.
Graham tells me that there are some Nomads who would like to ask some questions so Ed has allowed me to use his Magic Jack and give out the number to you guys. The number is 1-949-873-7814. I will be by the phone tommorrow morning from 9AM to 10AM. So if anyone wants to call I will be excited to talk and answer any questions you have.
I will be leaving El Rosario Tuesday morning and haeding for the coast. I will be sending my daily SPOT signals but will have no other way of communicating. I have hidden supplies all down this area but will still be depending on fish camps for water for Don-Kay. Ed here at Bajas Best is going to a Ejido meeting tonite and will be letting them know I am coming. Hope one or two of them can bring in a little food for Don-Kay as there hasn't been much near the coast.
So thank you for all of the interest and caring it makes my trip seem so much more important. VIVA NOMADS.
Mike Younghusband, Don-Kay and Solo:cool:

TMW - 11-7-2010 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
How in the heck was Mike's treck mapped out? Incredible voyage.
Bob H

I understand he spent a lot of time with Graham talking about his trips especially with the donkey. It is certainly an incredible voyage and is keeping all of us glued.

DENNIS - 11-7-2010 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spi619
Hi Guys and Gals, wow what a great response. Having a wonderful time all is good with Don-Kay and Solo. I am staying at Baja's Best which is about the last restaruant hotel on the right as you are leaving El Rosario. What a great place, great food and the rooms are like something out of a travel magazine. Ed LUSK (the owner) was gracious enough to let me stay here a couple of days. Don-Kay is a couple of doors down grazing at Duffy's.
Graham tells me that there are some Nomads who would like to ask some questions so Ed has allowed me to use his Magic Jack and give out the number to you guys. The number is 1-949-873-7814. I will be by the phone tommorrow morning from 9AM to 10AM. So if anyone wants to call I will be excited to talk and answer any questions you have.
I will be leaving El Rosario Tuesday morning and haeding for the coast. I will be sending my daily SPOT signals but will have no other way of communicating. I have hidden supplies all down this area but will still be depending on fish camps for water for Don-Kay. Ed here at Bajas Best is going to a Ejido meeting tonite and will be letting them know I am coming. Hope one or two of them can bring in a little food for Don-Kay as there hasn't been much near the coast.
So thank you for all of the interest and caring it makes my trip seem so much more important. VIVA NOMADS.
Mike Younghusband, Don-Kay and Solo:cool:

Very Very Cool. Thanks, Mike.
------------------------------------------------

"Graham tells me that there are some Nomads who would like to ask some questions so Ed has allowed me to use his Magic Jack and give out the number to you guys. The number is 1-949-873-7814. I will be by the phone tommorrow morning from 9AM to 10AM. So if anyone wants to call I will be excited to talk and answer any questions you have."
---------------------------------------------------

Can we keep this info up front and occasionally bumped throughout the day?

David K - 11-7-2010 at 11:57 AM

Thanks for posting Mike... The whole world (wide web) is watching!

You have thousands (or more) fans wishing you well on your journey down the Baja peninsula... so have a great adventure, and drop us a message whenever you have a chance.

NOV. 7, 2010

David K - 11-7-2010 at 09:29 PM

Graham - 11-7-2010 at 11:25 PM

Mike called me from his Baja’s Best location in El Rosario. He’s still doing great and resting and preparing for the challenging run down the Pacific to Guerrero Negro.

To lighten the burro’s load he has shed 40 lbs of gear and supplies. Someone will be happy to find all the goodies.

Three or four times Mexican journalists and TV reporters have caught up with him and recorded his progress. It has become a feature of his trip for Baja residents to pass him offering their best wishes and shouting “Viva Mexico,” echoing his cry as he began his journey at Tecate.

Even so, the night before arriving in El Rosario, he was surprised at 1.00 AM in his quiet canyon campsite by blinding truck headlights pulling up to his tent. The Mexican military insisted on him stepping out, and going through his gear to see what he was up to. Probably worried that he was sneaking around the highway checkpoint with a burro load of contraband!

And he’s back to just the one dog – the aptly named Solo. The yellow lab newcomer had a very irksome and dangerous habit of chasing trucks and cars on the highway. Fearing a lawsuit or horrible accident, Mike confessed he was glad when it took off and never returned.

Mike will be happy to fill in the details of his adventures and plans if anyone cares to give him a call Monday morning.....

"Graham tells me that there are some Nomads who would like to ask some questions so Ed has allowed me to use his Magic Jack and give out the number to you guys. The number is 1-949-873-7814. I will be by the phone tommorrow morning from 9AM to 10AM. So if anyone wants to call I will be excited to talk and answer any questions you have."

shari - 11-8-2010 at 10:36 AM

I just got off my magic jack talking to Mike. He sounds in great spirits and is ready to hit the trail once again after resting up a bit. The next leg will be particularly challenging finding water and food for Don Kay but he got some great local advice about where to find springs and some old burro trails.

He was thrilled to read everyone's comments here and really glad to know we are pulling for him. We are scheduled to chat from Sta.Rosalillita in a couple weeks where juan's cousin will be entertaining him...I bet he'll be eating alot of langosta the next few weeks!!!

David K - 11-8-2010 at 10:46 AM

Yah it will be rough eating all that lobster and yellowfin croaker (boca dulce) and corbina along that coast! Have fun Mike... Don't forget to send the Spot signal out each afternoon so we can follow you.

Nov. 8 Map

David K - 11-8-2010 at 07:33 PM

Last scheduled night at Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast, El Rosario...

sanquintinsince73 - 11-8-2010 at 07:42 PM

Thanks for your work in keeping us posted on Mike's progress, Davidk. We enjoy reading all of the post's. Last week I was in SQ and I searched for him but I was unsuccessful. I am totally off-grid when in Baja.

David K - 11-8-2010 at 08:32 PM

Well, where he is heading next almost nobody goes there... cold, wet, overcast... the place that surfers like and fear will get ruined by posts on Nomad... The Seven Sisters! Oh my!! Just some commercial fish camps and you would be lucky to see one gringo surfer in 200 miles of dirt road...!

I swear I saw them

msawin - 11-8-2010 at 08:58 PM

We drove north Saturday and were in the San Quintin / Colonet area about 4:30/ 6:00 PM.... and I saw them. I saw
the photo on the bottom of the Today's Post, and its like I saw them. As I looked to my left at them, Our eyes touched in gaze at
one an other...To crazy.. But I just can't remember the exact spot...

wow marty

Maddie - 11-9-2010 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Mike called me from his Baja’s Best location in El Rosario. He’s still doing great and resting and preparing for the challenging run down the Pacific to Guerrero Negro.

To lighten the burro’s load he has shed 40 lbs of gear and supplies. Someone will be happy to find all the goodies.

Three or four times Mexican journalists and TV reporters have caught up with him and recorded his progress. It has become a feature of his trip for Baja residents to pass him offering their best wishes and shouting “Viva Mexico,” echoing his cry as he began his journey at Tecate.

Even so, the night before arriving in El Rosario, he was surprised at 1.00 AM in his quiet canyon campsite by blinding truck headlights pulling up to his tent. The Mexican military insisted on him stepping out, and going through his gear to see what he was up to. Probably worried that he was sneaking around the highway checkpoint with a burro load of contraband!

And he’s back to just the one dog – the aptly named Solo. The yellow lab newcomer had a very irksome and dangerous habit of chasing trucks and cars on the highway. Fearing a lawsuit or horrible accident, Mike confessed he was glad when it took off and never returned.

Mike will be happy to fill in the details of his adventures and plans if anyone cares to give him a call Monday morning.....

Just a thought to pass on to Mike ... I think it would be a great idea if he did a short video every once in a while and had it posted for us to watch. ( like the one "survivor man" does ). I know added weight is not something "Don Kay" want to hear about, but perhaps just a digital camera that records video.

Even if it doesn't get posted til later or never ... it would give him a video diary of his journey. Of course, if he's already doing it ... kudos!

Maddie

Nov. 9, 2010

David K - 11-9-2010 at 07:49 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo walked about 10 miles today from Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast in El Rosario to Punta Baja...

woody with a view - 11-9-2010 at 08:04 PM

Quote:

you would be lucky to see one gringo surfer in 200 miles of dirt road...!

wanna bet, mr know it all????

edit: Don-Kay = DK.... the resemblance is uncanny.:light:

back on topic.... good luck Sr Walker. say hi to Israel Erika and Mercedes, Mike and Roberta, George and Sandra, Sergio and Nacha......:cool:

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by woody with a view]

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by woody with a view]

Paulina - 11-9-2010 at 09:47 PM

I would venture to guess that due to the season that we're entering and due to the certain type of people that happen to venture to these certain spots that Mike and Don Kay are about to walk through, he will be stoked to find good people, welcoming campfires, good food and water.

It's also a good thing that he and Don Kay don't participate in the certain sport that most of these good people occupy themselves with as his trip would most likely get stalled out for the next three months. ;)

Can't wait to see the Youtube of Don Kay doing a ripping aerial 360 in the tube!

P<*)))>{

ps. Safe journey Mike!

Edited to add the photo of Mr. Ed, possibly Don Kay's new idol.

[Edited on 10-11-2010 by Paulina]

imagesCAAIMCCT.jpg - 8kB

ME - 11-10-2010 at 09:20 AM

sent word and there will be a nice reception for mike and the burro (Don Kay) and they can post up at my place...even hug a "gringo" "oh my".
He just needs to keep the DK Dung tiddy...:lol:

"Don-Kay = DK.... the resemblance is uncanny.":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

shari - 11-10-2010 at 09:29 AM

when I talked to MIke, I mentioned the idea of loading him and his entourage into a pick up truck and driving out here. Cowboys are always puttin thier horse and burros in the back of trucks...no problema. He said that would be a good thing for Don Kay to learn as he will NOT cross any water which sometimes ya have to to cut off alot of time finding a way around it....so....

last night I had the funniest dream about getting Mike & Don Kay on a sailboat...burro was to ride up on deck and I said I didnt mind cleaning up the DK dung:lol::lol:

BajaBlanca - 11-10-2010 at 09:48 AM

:lol::lol::lol:

oh Shari !!! That is toooooooooo funny !!!!

oladulce - 11-10-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
I would venture to guess that due to the season that we're entering and due to the certain type of people that happen to venture to these certain spots that Mike and Don Kay are about to walk through, he will be stoked to find good people, welcoming campfires, good food and water.

It's also a good thing that he and Don Kay don't participate in the certain sport that most of these good people occupy themselves with as his trip would most likely get stalled out for the next three months. ;)...

Thank you Paulina. Your post cured my indigestion way better than TUMs could have.

Mike, if you take the coastal route between Cadeje and La Purisima, we have room for you and the animals to rest a spell. But Don-kay has to promise not to eat my barrel cactus like the local wild population tries to do.

This is the first I've read this thread and am now intrigued. I'll follow your progress and will come looking for you if you're going to be passing through here.

SFLowTide - 11-10-2010 at 10:11 AM

Quote:
Well, where he is heading next almost nobody goes there... cold, wet, overcast... the place that surfers like and fear will get ruined by posts on Nomad... The Seven Sisters! Oh my!! Just some commercial fish camps and you would be lucky to see one gringo surfer in 200 miles of dirt road...!

Thanks Dk...It's always refreshing to listen to someone that has truly lived, driven, camped and met people from both sides of the peninsula. I'm feeling that the days of the "kinship" one felt when coming bumper to bumper on a single track, high centered dirt road "on the way to an adventure" may be coming to an end. It's a shame that some of those "dirt road friends" are fearful of having neighbors in country that is still, mostly, uninvestigated. It seems as though we may need to break into the burro market.

Nov. 10, 2010

David K - 11-10-2010 at 05:35 PM

Mike and company must be full of lobster, as they only traveled about 3 miles from Punta Baja today!:smug:

Graham - 11-10-2010 at 08:16 PM

Heading south to Loreto and detoured out to Punta Baja to find Mike and entourage. About two miles from the point I met Cindi (Wilderone) carrying a 50-60 lb pack. She had joined Mike for a few days adventuring... but was glad to throw her pack in my truck and hitch a ride.

A few hundred yards ahead we caught up with Mike and Don Kay and Solo ambling merrily along. Actually they all loked beat. I would have thrown them all in my truck if I could. Eventually made it to the point and camped above the Pacific sheltered from the wind by an old boat shed.

Spent the night with them. A little wine and whisky revived their spirits, as did the local fishermen who were wonderfully kind and hospitable. Brought over water, took pictures, etc.

Wind moderated, a beautiful cloudless morning. Mike and Cindi headed south. Had a feeling they might have a short day after the previous day's effort to cross the river, get past the dogs of Rosario Bajo, and get to the coast.

Wilderone will have a tale to tell and no doubt some photos to share when she gets home.

Mike, Don Kay and Solo all looked great heading into the wild.

woody with a view - 11-10-2010 at 08:23 PM

Quote:

Wilderone will have a tale to tell and no doubt some photos to share when she gets home. Mike, Don Kay and Solo all looked great heading into the wild.

Neptune's blessings to all 4 of 'em, but that's what they said when the '49ers left St Louis, heading west into Injun country......

i hope i don't come across as a hypocrite!:P

woody with a view - 11-10-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFLowTide
Quote:

Thanks Dk...It's always refreshing to listen to someone that has truly lived, driven, camped and met people from both sides of the peninsula. I'm feeling that the days of the "kinship" one felt when coming bumper to bumper on a single track, high centered dirt road "on the way to an adventure" may be coming to an end. It's a shame that some of those "dirt road friends" are fearful of having neighbors in country that is still, mostly, uninvestigated. It seems as though we may need to break into the burro market.

take it easy, Francis. if you are stuck all of my "friends" will drag you off the high center, if only so they may proceed on their way.... and please have a cold cerveza or three for their efforts, as payment for saving your life.:lol::rolleyes::biggrin:

solosancarlos - 11-11-2010 at 01:33 PM

Am down here at Punta San Carlos looking forward to Mike coming through. Looks like a mild Norte coming through tonight and gone by tomorrow mid day

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
Am down here at Punta San Carlos looking forward to Mike coming through. Looks like a mild Norte coming through tonight and gone by tomorrow mid day

Very cool, solo. Welcome to BajaNomad.
Buy Mike a cold one for me and I'll repay as soon as I see you. :light:

David K - 11-11-2010 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos

Welcome to Baja Nomad... I presume this is your place?: http://www.solosports.net

Was out by your camp back in the year 2000... Great you guys are hanging in there!

solosancarlos - 11-11-2010 at 04:27 PM

thanks for the welcome. It's not "my" place but I do work here. A friend emailed yesterday telling me of Mike's journey. Kind of uncanny as I only read grahams' book for the first time this year.
Will post an update and maybe a photo if we see Mike pass by.
I'll keep the solar lights on for him !

shari - 11-11-2010 at 04:41 PM

hey solosancarlos...welcome to this board...really nice to have you here as there arent many nomads from that area...I didnt even know solo sancarlos existed...looks pretty uptown!!!! nice website too...say hi to mike for me if you happen to stumble across him.

BajaBlanca - 11-11-2010 at 06:48 PM

looks like we have a new spot to visit .... pics are just beautiful, congrats solo !!

solosancarlos - 11-11-2010 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ME
sent word and there will be a nice reception for mike and the burro (Don Kay) and they can post up at my place...even hug a "gringo" "oh my".
He just needs to keep the DK Dung tiddy...:lol:

"Don-Kay = DK.... the resemblance is uncanny.":lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'll make sure he know he is welcome there ME. Bamba will make sure Don-Kay knows she's the warden. Tell Joey she sends her love

David K - 11-11-2010 at 08:42 PM

Just FYI, I am not a burro... :rolleyes:

It takes me about 45 minutes to down load Mike's GPS location, upload it onto Google Earth, save 1 or 2 images, put them on Photobucket, and post them daily... then match that point on the AAA map, draw that in and crop and post the map every couple of days.

The association between my initial's and Don Kay's is purely coincidental. :lol:

Nov. 11, 2010

David K - 11-11-2010 at 08:47 PM

Mike, Cindi, Don-Kay, Solo advanced about 5 miles today:

David K - 11-11-2010 at 08:51 PM

In case you are wondering what Area 51 is on the hi view... another Nomad spotted it and named it that as it looks like a big airfield in the middle of 'nowhere'... It is actually right by the road to Punta San Carlos...

Here it is up close:

Nov. 12, 2010

David K - 11-12-2010 at 07:06 PM

Mike and company walked about 10 miles today and are at the Punta San Antonio fish camp. If they maintain this pace, they may be at Punta San Carlos in 2 more days (Monday afternoon)???

shari - 11-13-2010 at 07:49 AM

hey David...I happen to LOVE burros...so it would be a compliment in my books to resemble one!!! I REALLY REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post these updates....it sure bugs me when ya do something nice...that takes valuable time and people dont appreciate it...so here is my BIG round of applause fo a job well done...hee haw.
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  16