BajaNomad

San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  16

David K - 11-13-2010 at 07:54 AM

Thanks Shari...

Have a great day and look for Mike when he gets near your region, maybe around New Years?

[Edited on 11-13-2010 by David K]

desertcpl - 11-13-2010 at 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
hey David...I happen to LOVE burros...so it would be a compliment in my books to resemble one!!! I REALLY REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post these updates....it sure bugs me when ya do something nice...that takes valuable time and people dont appreciate it...so here is my BIG round of applause fo a job well done...hee haw.

yes thanks David for all the hard work you have been doing on this, great work

David K - 11-13-2010 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:
hey David...I happen to LOVE burros...so it would be a compliment in my books to resemble one!!! I REALLY REALLY appreciate you taking the time to post these updates....it sure bugs me when ya do something nice...that takes valuable time and people dont appreciate it...so here is my BIG round of applause fo a job well done...hee haw.

Thank you very much!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of 5:52 pm, still no SPOT signal from Mike... I am going to have dinner and watch a movie... I will add it (if it comes in tonight) when I get back on later tonight!

woody with a view - 11-13-2010 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
Quote:

Thank you very much!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of 5:52 pm, still no SPOT signal from Mike... I am going to have dinner and watch a movie... I will add it (if it comes in tonight) when I get back on later tonight!

we'll be hanging on your every whim, Don-Kay.:lol:

Luv ya, Shari!

Nov. 13, 2010

David K - 11-13-2010 at 10:30 PM

Mike and crew are having a second night at Punta San Antonio Fish Camp... The SPOT was sent about 35 minutes ago.

Santiago - 11-14-2010 at 10:17 AM

A second night? Hummm, is there a real short board somewhere on DK?

Skipjack Joe - 11-14-2010 at 11:27 AM

Quote:

Let's hope this doesn't morph into another DK thread.

I'm starting to get jealous. :o

David K - 11-14-2010 at 11:44 AM

It is a 'DK' thread... Don-Kay is 'DK' :biggrin:

Cypress - 11-14-2010 at 11:46 AM

Surprised that more folks don't use burros to pack stuff into the back country.

Bob H - 11-14-2010 at 12:48 PM

David.... hat off to YOU for keeping us updated on Mike's voyage. What a trip he's having, huh?

Nov. 14, 2010

David K - 11-14-2010 at 08:18 PM

Mike and company walked about 9 miles today... They could pass Punta San Carlos tomorrow.

View southward, down the coast...

My estimated distance log for Mike for November, so far:

Week 1: 43 miles, 6 walking days, 7.2 miles per day avg. Most miles in 1 day: 12.

Week 2: 38 miles, 5 walking days, 7.6 miles per day avg. Most miles in 1 day: 11.

BooJumMan - 11-14-2010 at 10:01 PM

I still can't believe how fast he's moving. I understand the need, but at the same time, I'd still envision myself staying at spots for a day or 2. But, when you need supplies I guess you gotta keep on trekkin! I love this post, and I hope to see him on my next trip down this winter!

solosancarlos - 11-15-2010 at 05:17 PM

Ok everyone I just spent about an hour with Mike, Don-Kay and Solo at the Punta San Carlos Fish Camp. They took the inside road from Campo Nuevo today and they are camping just East of the PSC Fish Camp tonight. He is in great spirits and I took a bunch of photo's. My card reader is down so unfortunately I can't upload anything for a week or so until the replacement arrives.
I gave him advice and info on the next stretch of his journey. He said he would "ping" his position shortly so I am sure DK will give us the updated coordinates when he can.
This next stretch is truly into the wild and he won't come across many people until he gets to the Punta Catarina fish camps.
His dog Solo is a real gem. She scares the coyotes away from his camp at night and he says she isn't fooled by their ways. Don-Kay was content to munch some grass growing next to a fisherman's shack and drink from a trough of water the fisherman filled for her.
Mike's an interesting cat and I am happy to have spent some time with him (albeit only an hour).
Salud y Buen Suertes Miguel !

DENNIS - 11-15-2010 at 06:55 PM

Thanks, Solo. Appreciate the report.

Nov. 15, 2010

David K - 11-15-2010 at 08:18 PM

Thanks Solo for the update!

Yes, for a couple of days Mike will be far from any roads as he hikes the coast below the great Mesa de San Carlos.

It's like the earlier Baja we knew...

Pompano - 11-16-2010 at 06:25 AM

..and maybe should revisit while we can still make the trip?! :rolleyes:

Many years ago, this quote became a favorite when thinking of Baja back in the day.

"I believe that there is a subtle magnetism in Nature, which, if we unconsciously yield to it, will direct us aright."

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
~Henry David Thoreau

Walden (1854)
US Transcendentalist author (1817 - 1862)

Good ol' rascal, that Henry, he had it right...as does this explorer. ;) I hope he sees many beautiful sunrises and sunsets..and tells us all about them, por favor?

tiotomasbcs - 11-16-2010 at 12:36 PM

Thanks to all! 'Im glad I picked up again on this thread as it is getting real good,now. I've travled the Catarina area south in a 4wd pickup with full camp gear including gourmet canned food and had to be rescued/guided/ pulled out a few times! On foot, incredible. I can't imagine the Solitude and Serenity of wlking alone w/DK and dog. Not really alone, verdad! God's speed!!:spingrin::smug: Tio

Nov. 16, 2010

David K - 11-16-2010 at 09:36 PM

Tonight, Mike is camping on top of a high cliff above the crashing surf... at the foot of the San Carlos mesa. Mike, Don-Kay and solo traveled about 2 miles today...

Bob H - 11-16-2010 at 10:21 PM

Wow, this story is just amazing! Thanks for all the updates David. I'm wondering how much weight loss Mike has to date. Would love to see photos, but he is now OUT THERE, with probably not much contact with others.

solosancarlos - 11-17-2010 at 08:48 AM

From the looks of his "ping" from yesterday he struggled. 2 miles is not very far but it was totally fogged in until 4 pm yesterday so it was damp, difficult to see and slippery. At least it was cool.
Today he needs to get down that big saddle coming off the Mesa and he will be in good shape.
Looking forward to seeing his next fix having safe and down to Kashihi.
solo

DianaT - 11-17-2010 at 08:53 AM

Hope all of his supplies hold out while he is in such remote country-- what a trip!

David K - 11-17-2010 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
From the looks of his "ping" from yesterday he struggled. 2 miles is not very far but it was totally fogged in until 4 pm yesterday so it was damp, difficult to see and slippery. At least it was cool.
Today he needs to get down that big saddle coming off the Mesa and he will be in good shape.
Looking forward to seeing his next fix having safe and down to Kashihi.
solo

Thanks for the conditions report Solo!

Skipjack Joe - 11-17-2010 at 10:13 AM

The terrain seems to be rougher now. It looks like he's no longer walking on dirt roads.

BajaBlanca - 11-17-2010 at 10:48 AM

The Nov 16 cliffside shot is just incredible ....

Nov. 17, 2010

David K - 11-17-2010 at 06:35 PM

Mike has advanced 4 more miles along the rugged coast at the base of the Mesa de San Carlos.

Correct... there is no automobile/ Jeep tracks between Punta San Carlos area and Puerto de Santa Catarina area... about 16 miles (as the crow flies).

In today's close up satellite image, I can see an animal trail Mike is on... sort of a small El Camino Real!

David K - 11-18-2010 at 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

Just think of the photos he will have for his book or slide shows, if he is doing that afterwards!

What a story... I highly recommend you all read/ re-read Graham Mackintosh's 'Journey With a Baja Burro' which was Mike's inspiration! http://grahammackintosh.com

Get a feel for what Mike is experiencing. Graham and his burro 'Mision' walked an estimated 1,000 miles from Tecate to Loreto in 1997... keeping more to the center of Baja, trying to follow the Camino Real and visit as many missions as possible along the way.

Brian L - 11-18-2010 at 09:05 AM

I just finished reading it, great book!

Quote:
Quote:

Just think of the photos he will have for his book or slide shows, if he is doing that afterwards!

What a story... I highly recommend you all read/ re-read Graham Mackintosh's 'Journey With a Baja Burro' which was Mike's inspiration! http://grahammackintosh.com

Get a feel for what Mike is experiencing. Graham and his burro 'Mision' walked an estimated 1,000 miles from Tecate to Loreto in 1997... keeping more to the center of Baja, trying to follow the Camino Real and visit as many missions as possible along the way.

wilderone - 11-18-2010 at 12:10 PM

I love watching Mike's progress and the maps are great. But let me tell you, the mileage is not straitforward. I'll provide more details and photos later, but the first day we went from Baja's Best to Punta Baja - that was a 15 mile day for Mike. 11 miles for me - Graham picked me up when he came by and we couldn't find a suitable camping spot, so we ended up all the way into the village, scouting a camping spot in the dark with the cold wind blowing hard. A very long day for Mike - he was so tired he didn't fix any dinner. It took us 3 1/2 hours (over 4 miles) just to cross the arroyo and traverse the town of El Rosario and get to the turnoff to Punta Baja - and then it was UPHILL - #$%^& - for 1.5 miles at least. The second day we followed numerous trails and found ourselves at deep arroyo gorges that were impossible to cross, so had to backtrack several times. We actually went about 8 miles that day. I took a "shortcut" once, Mike told me "see at the beach", and very fortunately, after I found out that "road" I saw was just a smooth drainage, I hiked a ridge and saw Mike, and then we had to turn inland, and learned there never was a beach to meet up at!! Lordy, would have been bad news to get lost out there. No more "shortcuts." We stopped about 3:30 pm that day and had a little R&R exploring the beach and had a nice fire and hearty meal, with some wine, etc. (Don't know what the etc. of choice was for Mike). The third day was short for me - about 5 miles to Agua Blanca - a very small fishing post where there was one person folding nets. He agreed to take me back to El Rosario, and the prospect of me going further with Mike was diminished as my exit choices became more risky. I would have loved to stay on the trail and it was pretty country and untrammeled - my kinda place. I loved every minute - Don-Kay and Solo are some of the sweetest animals. I'll post photos when I have a chance later.

BajaBlanca - 11-18-2010 at 01:25 PM

wow....a real life adventure like this, in this day and age, and we are participating either vicariously or REALLY like wilderone - true to HER nickname!

amazing journey .... the book, movie, documentary will be extremely fun to read/see.

[Edited on 11-18-2010 by BajaBlanca]

DENNIS - 11-18-2010 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
true to his nickname!

I think "His" is a "Her." :)

[Edited on 11-18-2010 by DENNIS]

BajaBlanca - 11-18-2010 at 01:41 PM

corrected the possessive pronoun.

David K - 11-18-2010 at 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
I love watching Mike's progress and the maps are great. But let me tell you, the mileage is not straitforward. I'll provide more details and photos later, but the first day we went from Baja's Best to Punta Baja - that was a 15 mile day for Mike. 11 miles for me - Graham picked me up when he came by and we couldn't find a suitable camping spot, so we ended up all the way into the village, scouting a camping spot in the dark with the cold wind blowing hard. A very long day for Mike - he was so tired he didn't fix any dinner. It took us 3 1/2 hours (over 4 miles) just to cross the arroyo and traverse the town of El Rosario and get to the turnoff to Punta Baja - and then it was UPHILL - #$%^& - for 1.5 miles at least. The second day we followed numerous trails and found ourselves at deep arroyo gorges that were impossible to cross, so had to backtrack several times. We actually went about 8 miles that day. I took a "shortcut" once, Mike told me "see at the beach", and very fortunately, after I found out that "road" I saw was just a smooth drainage, I hiked a ridge and saw Mike, and then we had to turn inland, and learned there never was a beach to meet up at!! Lordy, would have been bad news to get lost out there. No more "shortcuts." We stopped about 3:30 pm that day and had a little R&R exploring the beach and had a nice fire and hearty meal, with some wine, etc. (Don't know what the etc. of choice was for Mike). The third day was short for me - about 5 miles to Agua Blanca - a very small fishing post where there was one person folding nets. He agreed to take me back to El Rosario, and the prospect of me going further with Mike was diminished as my exit choices became more risky. I would have loved to stay on the trail and it was pretty country and untrammeled - my kinda place. I loved every minute - Don-Kay and Solo are some of the sweetest animals. I'll post photos when I have a chance later.

Thanks for reporting back Cindi! I kind of figured there would be more miles traveled then just the point to point miles I can see on Google Earth or the AAA map. Since we get just one GPS ping per day, all we can figure is the distance between the two.

I look forward to your photos!

David K - 11-18-2010 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
true to his nickname!

I think "His" is a "Her." :)

[Edited on 11-18-2010 by DENNIS]

This is Wilderone at our Viva Baja Cactus winetasting in Nov. 2006... (that is Ferna finishing his sample)...

Nov. 18, 2010

David K - 11-18-2010 at 06:41 PM

Perhaps some rugged terrain for Mike... Tonight he is only about a mile and a half from last night's location... Because of up and down grades, let's call it 2 miles!

BajaNomad - 11-18-2010 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

Appreciate your report "from the field". Hope it was a rewarding time for you.

Look forward to seeing your photos.

-
Doug

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by BajaNomad]

BajaBlanca - 11-18-2010 at 07:58 PM

It is so neat that Graham is accompanying the journey so closely ...

wilderone - 11-18-2010 at 10:12 PM

Some photos of my three days with Mike and Don-Kay.
This one’s a test – I want to see if the descriptions come out with the photo.

wilderone - 11-18-2010 at 10:19 PM

Some photos of my three days with Mike and Don-Kay.
The previous photo shows Don-Kay being coaxed across the little stream.

Never a dull moment – these vacas freaked out when they saw us coming, jumping over and through the barbed wire fence.

Don-Kay makes this face when he smells a particular animal dung

Lights out early for Mike – a long 14 mile day

Graham is up early checking on Don-Kay

Don-Kay mooching a Pop-Tart from me

Morning pangas go out at Punta Baja

[Edited on 11-19-2010 by BajaNomad]

wilderone - 11-18-2010 at 10:37 PM

More photos

The village people – Mike and Don-Kay really know how to draw a crowd. Nice bunch of guys.

don-Kay takes an impromptu break. It takes a lot of “encouragement” to get him up again.

Heading to our camp at the end of the day. This place is El Rayado (on the old Baja Almanac)

Pretty beach to explore

A comfy camp, hearty dinner and warm fire. Plenty of fire wood.

On the road again – a fine Baja trail

The end of the trail for me at Agua Blanca

Farewell photo – via con Dios, Mike.

Paulina - 11-18-2010 at 10:38 PM

Those are great photos! Thank you for taking the time to post them. I hope you have more.

Don Kay looks quite the character. I wonder what Mike is planning to do with him after their adventure?

P<*)))>{

wilderone

DianaT - 11-18-2010 at 10:53 PM

Sounds like it was a very positive experience for you----and such good information. Wonder how many miles he really has walked up to now.

Your photos are great. My two favorite are Don Kay smiling, and the one of Don Kay saying Enough if Enough!

Thanks.

David K - 11-18-2010 at 11:29 PM

Thanks Cindi... Great job with the photos and story!

I am sure the actual walking miles are at least 25% more than the map miles between GPS waypoints!

I hope more Nomads find and spend some time with Mike during his trek south!:light:

Skipjack Joe - 11-19-2010 at 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

I wonder what Mike is planning to do with him after their adventure?

P<*)))>{

Burrrrrrritos, my friend.

David K - 11-19-2010 at 10:18 AM

Time for a new map... this next area south of Punta San Carlos is the most remote coastline of Mike's walk...

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Those are great photos! Thank you for taking the time to post them. I hope you have more.

Don Kay looks quite the character. I wonder what Mike is planning to do with him after their adventure?

P<*)))>{

They are great photos! When we met Mike up here in our neck of the woods he told us he was planning on trucking DK back up to Loreto to stay with him at his place there once the journey was finished. We made a promise to come down and visit them both late next year...

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 05:36 PM

really nice to participate, albeit vicariously, via those great photos !!

David K - 11-19-2010 at 06:05 PM

Got home, checked email, alerts every 5 minutes coming fropm Mike's SPOT device.... Here is the first message , which automatically repeats every five minutes:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.57756
Longitude:-115.32463 GPS location
Date/Time:11/19/2010 15:36:40 PST
Message: I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy

I called Graham, and talked to Bonni... Graham is broken down in Mulege waiting for parts from Constitucion to arrive.

Tammy is Mike's daughter...

Mike is in a very remote place, he hiked up a canyon away from the coast towards the mesa...

Here are the Google images close to farther up, then one looking south.

There is a road onto the north part of the Mesa de San Carlos from Hwy. 1 at old El Progreso, near Mision San Fernando... but not one to the south mesa, below which Mike is located.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by David K]

BooJumMan - 11-19-2010 at 09:11 PM

So he is in need of assistance? There aren't any roads out there!! Does he have a sat phone or what?

solosancarlos - 11-19-2010 at 09:29 PM

On standby. all information pertinent is appreciated.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by solosancarlos]

toneart - 11-19-2010 at 09:50 PM

Please go to "mikeyounghusbands/don-kay needs assistance" string for latest info.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by toneart]

BajaNomad - 11-19-2010 at 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Please go to "mikeyounghusbands/don-kay needs assistance" string for latest info.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by toneart]

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=49180

We now return you back to our regular program!

David K - 11-20-2010 at 03:50 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo are once again on their way south with a fresh supply of water, thanks to 'solosancarlos' (Neil) and the fishermen of Punta San Carlos!

Mike had hiked up the arroyo to get away from the sea mist for a campsite.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by David K]

BajaRat - 11-20-2010 at 04:08 PM

Noooooooooo! don't take the mesa route! You'll kill your seeeeeeeellllllllllfffffffffffffffflf!!!

David K - 11-20-2010 at 06:03 PM

Well, no new SPOT point tonight... so I guess they are camping just south of the arroyo...

BajaGringo - 11-20-2010 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Well, no new SPOT point tonight... so I guess they are camping just south of the arroyo...

Wish I could get Mike a message. Having driven the route he is on from the south all day today I can see that by sea it will very very difficult in some spots. And even fewer chances for water/supplies.

Nov. 20 PM Map

David K - 11-20-2010 at 09:55 PM

Estimated mileage each day on this map are:

Nov. 15 = 8 miles
Nov. 16 = 2 miles
Nov. 17 = 4.5 miles
Nov. 18 = 1.5 miles
Nov. 19 = 3 miles
Nov. 20 = 2 miles

BajaGringo - 11-21-2010 at 08:41 AM

Here is a photo I took yesterday from the beach in front of Punta Azul fish camp. You can see how it slowly disappears into a narrow rock access around the point which is why nobody in the area would believe us that Mike was trying to make it through with a burro in tow. We had a tough time getting across it with some supplies we carried trying to reach Mike before the rising tide completely cut us off.

I will definitely keep them in my thoughts and prayers today...

DENNIS - 11-21-2010 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Quote:

Wish I could get Mike a message. Having driven the route he is on from the south all day today I can see that by sea it will very very difficult in some spots. And even fewer chances for water/supplies.

He needs to have a Sat phone. This is no place to be out of touch. It's just plain crazy.

Paulina - 11-21-2010 at 11:31 AM

It would be great if someone could meet up with him at the next fish camp with a sat. phone and hand held VHS. I carry them for travels in my truck and can't imagine being without them.

BajaBlanca - 11-21-2010 at 11:52 AM

well, the weather should be gorgeous for Mike today, right? Sunny and clear with just a slight breeze here in Bocana ... I assume it is the same where he is ?????

David K - 11-21-2010 at 12:22 PM

Pouring Rain here in San Diego County... I believe it is wet at Punta San Carlos too (from a u2u I got this morning).

DENNIS - 11-21-2010 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Pouring Rain here in San Diego County...

It's been beautiful here all day, but it's just starting to cloud up a little. I guess we'll be getting it soon enough.

solosancarlos - 11-21-2010 at 12:37 PM

Rain minimally this morning but may have been slightly more down Mike's way.
Clearing winds are coming through the past 2 hours. Sunny and blowing from the NW at 25-30.
que lo vaya bien Miguel !

BajaGringo - 11-21-2010 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
It would be great if someone could meet up with him at the next fish camp with a sat. phone and hand held VHS. I carry them for travels in my truck and can't imagine being without them.

I would gladly make the trip down but business calls me to be in San Diego in the morning. If there is anybody here able to do so you will have to ask around for directions on how to get to the fish camp north of Puerto Catarina where I imagine Mike will make his next stop and hopefully rest for a couple of days.

To get there is not obvious from any map as there is no access from the beach so you will have to manuever back several miles from Puerto Catarina to an unmarked road that will snake back down to the fish camp that is located at the end of a ravine that opens up to the beach below.

The locals all refer to the area as "Campo del Negro Card##as" if I remember correctly...

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by BajaGringo]

DENNIS - 11-21-2010 at 03:04 PM

And, the rains begin in a chipi chipi [lite drizzle] sort of way.

BajaGringo - 11-21-2010 at 03:18 PM

Sunny with a few clouds and some gusty winds here outside San Quintin...

Yahoo! Mike makes it out...

David K - 11-21-2010 at 08:33 PM

Mike, Don-Kay and Solo have made it Puerto Santa Catarina fishing village...

SPOT email arrived here at 7:06 pm... Perhaps a long day just to be out of that 'no mans land'?!

Mike is right in the little village... the AAA map is incorrect as to where they placed the black square for Puerto Catarina. It is at the north edge of the arroyo right where I drew the black dot for Mike's position.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by David K]

solosancarlos - 11-21-2010 at 08:39 PM

thanks man !

David K - 11-21-2010 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by solosancarlos
thanks man !

If not for you and the San Carlos panga, it wouldn't have been the same story... You deserve the big thank you Neil!

If not you guys, then Ron was next to try and reach Mike... A happy ending, thank you all!

Mulegena - 11-21-2010 at 08:44 PM

Sure glad he and his crew made it through!

Now, hope he rests up and lets the villagers take care of him for a little while.

solosancarlos - 11-21-2010 at 08:46 PM

Time to rest and then head inland

Maddie - 11-21-2010 at 08:50 PM

I am so glad Mike has so many people keeping "track" of him! I have never met Mike, but following his progress here on BajaNomad, I feel as if he is a friend and think of him daily. Funny how you get to feeling that way for people you've never met. I feel the same for all the members who take the time to keep track of him and post his progress and news. Thank you all!

Skipjack Joe - 11-21-2010 at 09:10 PM

It's too bad we don't know the route he actually took to get to Puerto Catarina. It was the single greatest challenge of the trip so far and all we know is that the destination was reached.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

Barry A. - 11-21-2010 at 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It's too bad we don't know the route he actually took to get to Puerto Catarina. It was the single greatest challenge of the trip so far and all we know is that the destination was reached.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

Exactly my question, also. But, I am sure happy that all 3 of them made it to Puerto Catarina, and in good time, too. I am guessing that they somehow managed the coastal route, in spite of the boulders & cliffs. "Well done", is all I can think of to say.

Barry

shari - 11-22-2010 at 06:43 AM

due to the full moon...the tide was waaaaaaay out yesterday afternoon so he could have walked on hard packed sand on the beach much of the way....bet he's glad to be at the fish camp and gorfing down lobster.

LancairDriver - 11-22-2010 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
A solar powered SPOT built into his hat or back pack that sent out hourly blips whenever he was moving would be great! I guess we will have to wait for the book to see how he actually walked to Puerto Catarina. If by the coast, he traveled close to 6 miles from last night's camp.

SPOT has a tracking feature that puts out your position every 10 minutes. The battery life on the SPOT is great. I have had mine for over 2 years and have yet to have to change batteries, and I use the tracking feature a lot. It uses AA lithium batteries, available anywhere.I'm sure Mike could make two trips like he is on and leave the SPOT on all the time.Last year a friend in Mulege was watching my progress on a trip down and saw that I had stopped at Rice and Beans in San Ignacio and called me while I was having lunch to ask how the tacos were.

SPOT Tracking

bajaguy - 11-22-2010 at 10:14 AM

Maybe somebody can get Mike extra lithium batteries and he can use the SPOT Tracking feature. Turn on in the morning, turn off at nite.......that way we can follow his progress in (somewhat) real time??????.

Barry A. - 11-22-2010 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
due to the full moon...the tide was waaaaaaay out yesterday afternoon so he could have walked on hard packed sand on the beach much of the way....bet he's glad to be at the fish camp and gorfing down lobster.

Very good point, Shari, and one I had not thought of. Thank you for that. I bet you are right.

Barry

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2010 at 10:28 AM

Yep, I thought so tambien.

I'll bet those local pangueros (rescue team) gave him some good advice.

Maddie - 11-22-2010 at 03:18 PM

The Gringo Gazette just posted an article on Mike and another on Graham and his books. Some of the info is incorrect, but I expect they will be publishing follow ups on Mike regularly. Mike may find a big welcome when he gets down to Cabo. I'm hoping to fly down an meet him, Don Kay, and Solo.

Here's the link to the Gringo Gazette online. I don't think you have to be a subscriber to view it. Let me know if it doesn't work, I'll send a copy of the article.

http://content.yudu.com/A1lxw9/GringoGazette/resources/index...

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by Maddie]

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by BajaNomad]

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 05:09 PM

I just received a call from Chava at the delegacion at Cataviña. Mike did not hike out yesterday from his Nov 19th GPS point. Some of the same crew we had put together to reach him on the morning of the 21st went out to check on Mike yesterday and determined that he was unable to move any farther forward along the coastline. Chava reported to me that they brought him to the Puerto Catarina camp last night and he would like some help.

I was on the road heading south to San Quintin this afternoon when I got the call and wll be taking off in the early AM tomorrow with another good friend, Meño Casteneda who will accompany me to see what we can do for Mike.

Will report back once I return tomorrow night...

[Edited on 11-23-2010 by BajaGringo]

fandango - 11-22-2010 at 05:10 PM

bajagringo: WHO ARE YOU????

you are too fantastic!!!!

DianaT - 11-22-2010 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I just received a call from Chava at the delegacion at Cataviña. Mike did not hike out yesterday from his Nov 19th GPS point. Some of the same crew we had put together to reach him on the morning of the 21st went out to check on Mike yesterday and determined that he was unable to move any farther forward along the coastline. Chava reported to me that they brought him to the Puerto Catarina camp last night and he would like some help.

I was on the road heading south to San Quintin this afternoon when I got the call and wll be taking off in the early AM tomorrow with another good friend, Meño Casteneda who will accompany me to see what we can do for Mike.

Will report back once I return tomorrow night...

Sure glad they went back out to check on him----good luck and stay safe.

Barry A. - 11-22-2010 at 05:33 PM

Something is fishy here-------the electronics (SPOT) don't lie, do they?? Could the boys at Catavina have it wrong??

The plot thickens!!!!

Barry

David K - 11-22-2010 at 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Something is fishy here-------the electronics (SPOT) don't lie, do they?? Could the boys at Catavina have it wrong??

The plot thickens!!!!

Barry

Yah... I know Ron is only relating what Chava told him:

"Mike did not hike out yesterday from his Nov 19th GPS point. Some of the same crew we had put together to reach him on the morning of the 21st went out to check on Mike yesterday and determined that he was unable to move any farther forward along the coastline. Chava reported to me that they brought him to the Puerto Catarina camp last night and he would like some help."

If he didn't 'hike out'... does that mean a panga from Santa Catarina picked up him and Don-Kay ??? I don't see that as being easy!

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

The plot thickens!!!!

Barry

I was wrong on the date. I should have said his position on the 20th, not the 19th. What Chava told me on the call today was that Mike couldn´t advance any further from that point on his own and they brought him down to Puerto Catarina fish camp last night, from where he reported his Nov 21st position

How they got him there I am not sure but I will get to hear the story in the morning and will share it all with you when I get back online sometime tomorrow night.

It sounded like Chava was calling from a sat phone as there was a bad echo I was on the highway on my cell phone so we weren´t able to talk much.

I wish I had thought to ask him how they moved Don'Kay but we´ll all just have to wait until tomorrrow to find out that part of the story...

David K - 11-22-2010 at 05:40 PM

Thanks Ron!

I will post the SPOT location for tonight as soon as I see it!

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fandango
bajagringo: WHO ARE YOU????

you are too fantastic!!!!

Just another BajaNomad. You´d do the very same thing if the situation presented itself, wouldn´t you!???

solosancarlos - 11-22-2010 at 05:55 PM

That poor Burro has been some difficulty.
Tell us if you need any more assistance from this side
neil

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 07:44 PM

My friend Meño knows some of the folks down at the fish camp and we are getting things under control. Thanks and will post more tomorrow...

Skipjack Joe - 11-22-2010 at 08:10 PM

This explains a lot of things. I just couldn't see him making so much progress in that terrain so fast.

And the more I thought about the low tide idea the less plausible it sounded. What if Don Kay got stubborn out there on the beach with the cliffs to your back. Who would take a chance like that?

Well I, for one, never measured Mike's success by whether he reached Catarina. The fact that he reached for the unreachable and tried to do the undoable is all that matters. He is a hero in my book. Those who call it a 'stunt' just don't get it and will never understand. His attempt on this lonely stretch of coastline captures the spirit of all those early nomads who were attracted to baja. And we 'understand' Mike.

David K - 11-22-2010 at 08:11 PM

Halftime, Monday Night Football, San Diego 21/ Denver 7, still no spot signal from Mike as of 7:10 pm...

BajaGringo - 11-22-2010 at 08:17 PM

Mike is tough and I really admire his spirit. Right now I think he is just a bit "roughed up" after being pinned between the sea and the cliffs on the rocky route from San Carlos to Catarina with Don-Kay in tow. A trek that took a lot longer than he planned or prepared for.

With a little rest and "freshening up" he should be ready to continue on...

David K - 11-22-2010 at 08:20 PM

I kinda hope he walks on dirt roads the rest of the way and no more coastal 'short-cuts'!

mojo_norte - 11-22-2010 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Well I, for one, never measured Mike's success by whether he reached Catarina. The fact that he reached for the unreachable and tried to do the undoable is all that matters. He is a hero in my book. Those who call it a 'stunt' just don't get it and will never understand. His attempt on this lonely stretch of coastline captures the spirit of all those early nomads who were attracted to baja. And we 'understand' Mike.

quote]Originally posted by solosancarlos
That poor Burro has been some difficulty.
neil

I feel for the animals ( burro / dog ) Another selfish human endeavor where animals suffer ..

BajaBlanca - 11-22-2010 at 08:23 PM

Must be soooooooooooo hard and I think SkipJack hit it on the nail when he said that Mike is reaching for the unreachable. gotta hand it to him.

mojo_norte - 11-22-2010 at 08:24 PM

Quote:
Halftime, Monday Night Football, San Diego 21/ Denver 7

Go Broncos!

DENNIS - 11-22-2010 at 08:29 PM

Quote:
I kinda hope he walks on dirt roads the rest of the way and no more coastal 'short-cuts'!

WOW....Shortcuts are for those who are impatient or late for work. Mike has to take his time. Maybe, being newly retired, he doesn't understand that.

wessongroup - 11-22-2010 at 08:32 PM

That's a good one Dennis... it does take a while to get it through ones head...

mojo_norte - 11-22-2010 at 08:32 PM

Quote:

What are the road options between the San Carlos fish camp and Catarina?

Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  16