BajaNomad

Over charged at La Fonda

Cyndarouh - 8-2-2004 at 04:12 PM

I met my step Dad and his wife yesterday. They wanted to eat brunch at La Fonda. I agreed. We got our ck and they had billed us for 5 bruches and a lot more drinks that we had. The waiter did take the extra 46+ off our bill. Really ck out the bill when they bring it to you. I have talked to others that this also has happened to.

FrankO - 8-2-2004 at 04:19 PM

Dimitri fired a waiter on the spot there one night who pulled that w/us. Said he was glad to be rid of the thieving S.O.B. and w/the union that was one of the only ways he could do it.

bajalou - 8-2-2004 at 04:47 PM

Glad you guys made the meet. Too bad about the bill tho.

:biggrin:

David K - 8-2-2004 at 10:50 PM

Last year, same thing happened... food was good, however. I just figured the waiter used to work at the San Quintin or Santa Rosalia Pemex station!:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Lotsa jokes made about this place, and good food BUT...

Mike Humfreville - 8-2-2004 at 11:58 PM

There are so many reports, including mine, which I'll repeat, that you just know that EVERYONE there knows what's happening.

The repeat part: MA and I went there and ordered one lobster dinner and a glass or two of wine. Bill should have been $26 US. Waiter, while Mr. D was cleaning the very next table, submitted a bill for $100! I personally showed the bill to Mr. D and the waiter grabbed the bill and came running back to the table with the correct $26 tab. This doesn't happen in a place that's honest. While I recognize a lot of us enjoy the food and recreation there, you just have to go into the place with your guard up. If it means that much to you that's cool, but we can't complain if we are fore warned. Personally, I don't like being taken for a fool even though I am one so often. At least if I bring it on by my own actions I have no one else to blame. I don't need La Fonda to predictably over so many years to take advantage of so many. Bottom line? No respect for their clients. Sad scene.

Fired?

Big Al - 8-3-2004 at 09:35 AM

FrankO, do think he was really fired or it was just an act? I think he probably sends the guy home to save face with the customers and the guy is back there working the next day. He likes to blame the union as the reason he can't get rid of these people. Why not have them arrested? At least while thery ae in jail they can't ripoff any customers.

Big Al

Do you thnk it would do any good

jrbaja - 8-3-2004 at 10:02 AM

to print out this thread and give it to Dimitri ? He's really a pretty nice guy.
Cynda ?? Ya wanna go back ?

JESSE - 8-3-2004 at 01:07 PM

That place has just never been able to convince me as a good restaurant, i have had way too many problems there and have heard way too many bad things, my last bad experience there was about a month ago, i took my girlfriend to have some drinks, it was about 9pm on a saturday night and there was plenty of empty tables, we sat at a table and when the waiter showed up we told him we just wanted to have some drinks, he inmediately got upset and told us we couldnt sit there even do there was plenty of empty tables, i told him why we couldnt sit there and he explained to me in an annoyed tone that it was only for having dinner, so anyways after a few minutes where i had to hold back on my temper because i just wanted to have a good time with my woman, i told him we would move if more people showed up wanting to have dinner.

Half an hour later the place was almost empty and the waiters where already getting ready to call it a night. Since i used to be a waiter i know that he was full of it and just didnt wanted my small tab in his tables, even do the place was half empty when we got there.

I have tried time and time again, but that place always ends up being a dissapointment.

THUMBS DOWN FROM ME.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by JESSE]

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by JESSE]

jeans - 8-3-2004 at 01:36 PM

We were there on a recent Sunday early evening and the patio was packed. We had already eaten and I was afraid we would get the same treatment as JESSE...everyone was eating around us. Not so...we stayed, had a few drinks and watched the sun go down and was never hurried or made to feel like we were taking up space.

I guess all it takes is one or two bad employees to sour a reputation.

[Edited on 8-3-2004 by jeans]

it's really no wonder or a surprise

capt. mike - 8-3-2004 at 02:10 PM

the whole stretch between and including Rosarito to Ensenada is just one long tourist trap.......:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

FrankO - 8-3-2004 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Big Al
FrankO, do think he was really fired or it was just an act? I think he probably sends the guy home to save face with the customers and the guy is back there working the next day. He likes to blame the union as the reason he can't get rid of these people. Why not have them arrested? At least while thery ae in jail they can't ripoff any customers.

Anything is possible. However the waiter pitched quite a b-tch to Dimitri and was way out of line in his comments about us to him. That's when he discovered that my wife is a spanish teacher and she righteously reamed his ass in front of his ex-coworkers. Nothing a guy full of machismo loves more than having his ass chewed by a hot little blond in front of his buddies! So if he actually got fired or not, on the ol' (trademark pending) "giveachitometer", who cares. The few previous times we tried the place it was marginal at best and the drinks were weak. The little palapa down in the campground was much better. It's been years, though, since we have stopped in that area at all. I'm sure it's all better now.

Cyndarouh - 8-3-2004 at 02:23 PM

Jr, I think more than enough people have complained. It still goes on. I have never felt to comfy hanging there in many moons always worried I wouldn't have a car when I walked out. From talking with many people it seems standard for a larger bill on really busy days. more likely if you have had a few. They might think you won't notice. And I am sure many don't and do pay up. Yep a big Tour-ron trap! We did enjoy our visit and Dad was happy, that is what counts in the end.

OK then

jrbaja - 8-3-2004 at 02:53 PM

We enjoyed your company as well and I know you had a good time.
As far as la fonda goes, we didn't go there much anyway.

Witness

The Gull - 8-3-2004 at 03:28 PM

I have witness a car being stolen and on another occasion having a bill presented for twice what I ordered.

Funny, I have been in Baja since 1968, and no where else has either of those things happened.

Coincidence? Not really! Bad luck? I don't think so.

marla - 8-3-2004 at 04:27 PM

I've only been to the restaurant once and enjoyed it, did not get ripped off and liked seeing the rooster roaming around. However, the one and only time I spent the night there I thought it was overpriced and overrated, the room was cold, not very clean, bed hard as a rock, I got there very late at night and just needed a place to crash and shower in the morning. At 7 a.m. there was a horrible noise and godawful stench just below me, it turned out they were working on the sewer pipes at 7 a.m. in the morning on a weekend. Needless to say it ruined my sleep. I found the owner and complained to him about it and he did not care one bit in fact was rather rude. I thought that was quite inappropriate behavior for a hotelier so I vowed to never stay there again.

tim40 - 8-7-2004 at 04:56 PM

No doubt each of you have had the experience conveyed. The other side....we may just be darn lucky.... Been to La Fonda dozens of times going way back to just a couple of weeks ago. NEVER had a bill issue (and I check all as a matter of habit from the Ritz to Paco's Tacos). Have sipped drinks with my wife at one of the premium view tables many of times and have never had anything but a delightful interaction with the staff and other patrons..... I do think that sharing this type of negative issues would impact the owner "IF" it was done outside of an immediate issue. In other words, there is nothing to gain.... I have had so many nice times there over the years I would not even stop if I had a bad one the next time....it would take a # in a row..

OK, it's time for me to chime in.

Gypsy Jan - 8-17-2004 at 09:36 PM

We have been going to La Fonda (now El Royal La Fonda) for breakfast, lunch, dinner or brunch for eight years, frequently for the first four, almost weekly for the last four.

"Joe" Dmytryi was impossibly burdened/hassled/hampered by the Mexican union in his restaurant for quite some time, he wasn't even allowed on the floor.

Two-plus years ago, he shuttered the place when the union threatened a walkout.

He reopened a few yards north and has been doing gangbusters business ever since.

In the last year, we have always been given computer summarized checks that have accurately listed the food served and summarized the tab accurately.

Joe is a hard working, caring business man who contributes huge amounts of food, supplies and money to local charities, and I can make that statement because we are involved with them also and see his people delivering the contributions.

Supervising employees is always a hard task and reading an employee's ethics on the surface is impossible.

The final say is that Joe works very hard (his a** off) to provide a great time and good food to his guests and he cares a great deal about them. He is constantly improving the place and the restaurant, but, "IT AIN'T THE RITZ CARLTON, IT'S MEXICO".

If you feel that you have been ripped off, go to the office and get them involved.

Don't slag them off on the internet, it's unfair.

bajalera - 8-17-2004 at 10:28 PM

I'll bet you're the Gypsy Jan whose restaurant review I really liked, and who was going to post more of them.

We're still waiting!

bajalera

Bajalera, thanks for the props...

Gypsy Jan - 8-17-2004 at 10:43 PM

but husband has been very involved in developing his water desalination for Mexico...

end result, we don't go out much at the moment for fine dining,

but, I can tell you that Jrbaja and BH knows their stuff (!)..Tacos Yacqui rules, Tacos Manuel is great, can't say anything about JR tacos in Rosarito, but if you are passing through Primo Tapia, Tacos Alegria has the best fish tacos I've ever encountered.

Enjoy

Gypsy Jan

bajalera - 8-18-2004 at 12:54 PM

Desalinization is a worthy project for anything else to take a back seat for. Hope you'll get around to more writing when things have shaped up. Resturant reviews are hard to do well, and I thought yours was a very stylish job.

Lera

JESSE - 8-18-2004 at 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Tacos Alegria has the best fish tacos I've ever encountered.

Enjoy

Youve got to be kidding me Jan?

For those that like Alegria

jrbaja - 8-18-2004 at 01:36 PM

you simply must try Jr's. Tacos. Just south of the AM-PM Pemex, south of Rosarito Beach.:light:

Gypsy Jan - 8-21-2004 at 05:36 PM

Hey Jesse,

This just my opinion, based on my (limited) experience. :rolleyes:

At Mariscos Alegria (sorry, I called it Tacos Alegria earlier) I've encountered Hugo (the chef and son of the owner of Yacqui Tacos) who says he drives down on his day off just for their soup (Siete Mares?), countless gringos who say that they make it their first stop when heading south of the border, and many, many ATV'rs who have come over the back country from TJ to eat lunch there.

The food is impeccably fresh, they are careful to buy shellfish only from regulated suppliers, thus this is one of the very few roadside stands where I am willing to eat raw oysters.

The fish tacos are prepared to order, dipped in a heavy batter, not light tempura style, so whether you like it is according to taste. They prepare flour tortillas from scratch when you place your order (corn tortillas come from a bag).

They also serve what I am assured is a very good version Sonoran shrimp c-cktail, raw shrimp in a chile vinegar sauce, have forgotten the name. I've tried it and it's not my cup of tea because it's too vinegary.

What ev, why not share some of your favorite places? :biggrin:

No slag, just fact

Hook - 8-27-2004 at 09:40 AM

Many of the offended parties DID resort to the oficina to have the wrong, righted. That doesn't mean they cant relay their experiences on the internet for others. I appreciate the info. It has made me look the bill over each time. In only 3-4 visits, no funny business, but it's hard to dicker with the buffet charges.

But, believe me, my most recent visits have produced hand-written checks. It is often accompanies by a printed calculator output, but that appears to be for adding up the bill. If unordered items magically appear on the hand-written check, they will show up on the printed bill.

But all the collective attempts at funny business need to be aired, whatever the resolution was.

If Dimitri is truly free of the union, then why are these attempts continuing? What motivation would people have to fabricate them?

Gypsy, you seem to be on a first name basis with the employess/management of La Fonda. I am not surprised you haven't experienced this.

But don't chastise those of us who have, for setting down the facts, as we saw them.

For my money, I like the food at Palapa Jose's much better. Yeah, it's gringo pricing, but it's pretty gourmet.

Side note: Is anyone else a big fan of the El Trailero stand in the northern outskirts of Ensenada. Huge fish tacos, not-so-runny guacamole sauce, delicious shrimp coctails stuffed with large, deveined shrimp and xlnt carne asada tortas. The fish taco meat is made to order; you generally dont see the big piles of already-cooked fish waiting for customers.

[Edited on 8-27-2004 by Hook]

elgatoloco - 8-27-2004 at 10:08 AM

El Trailero

We stop there for a carne asada Torta, then mosy up the road for the fish & shrimp tacos at Tacos Jaliescience just under the pedestrian bridge.

Palapa de Jose has excellent shrimp c-cktail Mexicano style. The salad with scallop and feta cheese on spinach with a balsamic dressing is yummy. They also have a guy who plays a mean classical/flamenco guitar, Miguel De La Hoya. His version of Stairway to Heaven is always a big hit with the crowd. It can get VERY loud when he is playing so if you want a quiet romantic dinner and dancing stick with La Fonda. :P

I think that all info and peoples experiences are helpful. I digest it file it and then use it to compare/contrast with my own experiences.

I will continue to dine,drink and dance at La Fonda. :biggrin:

I ALWAYS look at my check WHEREVER I am dining as mistakes can happen at ANY time or ANY place. Be diligent!!

I am looking forward to trying the grub at
Mariscos Alegria! :cool:

tjcholo - 8-27-2004 at 07:41 PM

I always make it clear that solo traei pesos .....pues .....traiga la cuenta (por favor) en pesos....sometimes it saves a few dollars...but only if you can count real high...:lol:

Gypsy Jan - 8-27-2004 at 09:51 PM

Cholo you are great!

Yes, we always pay in pesos, then you are never overcharged :lol:

Hook - 9-1-2004 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
El Trailero

Palapa de Jose has excellent shrimp c-cktail Mexicano style. The salad with scallop and feta cheese on spinach with a balsamic dressing is yummy. They also have a guy who plays a mean classical/flamenco guitar, Miguel De La Hoya. His version of Stairway to Heaven is always a big hit with the crowd. It can get VERY loud when he is playing so if you want a quiet romantic dinner and dancing stick with La Fonda. :P

Thanks for the recommendations. Our favorites are ANYTHING in their mole sauce and the camarones molcajete.

Amen, to the loudness of Miguel. He must be the guy with the hollow-body electric. ABSOLUTELY EAR-SPLITTING AT TIMES; CONVERSATION IS IMPOSSIBLE. But he is talented.

Last Friday night he was followed by a guy on a nylon string guitar with a more conventional flamenco style. Also had a much better voice and his decibel level was perfect. Played all the standards that gringos like (One Ton Iguana, Cielito Lindo, the Mexican Hat Dance song, etc.) including my all-time favorite, "Volver, volver" by the great Vicente Fernandez. Not quite the same as with violins and horns, but.......

Bob H - 9-1-2004 at 01:03 PM

EGL... I think you are the king of knowing great places to eat in Baja. You should publish a listing of all the great places you have recommended over the years.
Bob H:P

another spin on La Fonda

thebajarunner - 9-1-2004 at 05:54 PM

Some years back a couple of us dropped by there for a late dinner,
just a few tables occupied and a live band was playing not far from our table.
At the next (empty) table to us we noticed some movement, there sat a small mouse, on his haunches, both hands down in the sugar bowl, having his dinner.
After the initial shock wore off we caught the eye of the trumpet player, pointed at the mouse and winked.
In mid-tune, without removing trumpet from lips, he sort of grinned, winked back and nodded and went on with the music.
Ah, another quiet Baja moment.

Baja Arriba!!