BajaNomad

faa and dhs getting serious now.....

capt. mike - 11-5-2010 at 07:47 AM

Notice From the AOPA

Customs to crack down on eAPIS violations

By AOPA ePublishing staff

It’s been almost one and a half years since pilots started using the Electronic Advance Passenger Information System (eAPIS) for international flights, and Customs and Border Protection officials have decided it’s time to remove the training wheels. The agency had been lenient when it came to minor violations using the system, reaching and educating pilots, but not anymore.
AOPA Top Stories

Customs has notified AOPA that it will soon issue its first penalty against a pilot. The agency also informed AOPA that it will start issuing penalties on a monthly basis. Previously, customs would send a warning letter to pilots who had violated eAPIS procedures.

The penalty for the first violation is a $5,000 fine, while each subsequent violation carries a $10,000 fine.

Since May 18, 2009, pilots flying internationally have had to electronically submit a passenger list (manifest) and arrival/departure notification at least 60 minutes prior to leaving or entering the United States. This summer, customs released enhancements to eAPIS to make it easier to file the notifications. Pilots can now save up to 10 manifests indefinitely, and eAPIS will automatically save the latest five manifests for 30 days.

woody with a view - 11-5-2010 at 09:22 AM

finally. where's the fence?

flyfishinPam - 11-5-2010 at 02:22 PM

Thanks for the post Mike so we can plan ahead and be informed.

woody the fence is being built alright! its to keep you IN

mtgoat666 - 11-5-2010 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
The penalty for the first violation is a $5,000 fine, while each subsequent violation carries a $10,000 fine.

sounds like an effective incentive

capt. mike - 11-5-2010 at 03:31 PM

that's all BS, they never do it, its only a scare tactic. i was involved in one once on a med emerg flight.
Yes they could levy one but each time they have, any FAA atty worth his salt gets it reduced to a written warning. the problem with DHS and FAA and CBP is they don't have ranges for their actionable so called offenses.
they want to send you to the electric chair for shop lifting.

woody with a view - 11-5-2010 at 03:32 PM

thanks Pam. i just wish it was true..... then i would have the $500-$800 that gets spent planning and enjoying my time south..... and then i GO HOME!!!! without costing the govt anything. :light: sorry if that is too much to ask of others.