BajaNomad

Carnival Cruise Ship Adrift At Sea Off Baja

sanquintinsince73 - 11-9-2010 at 12:52 AM

Fire strands cruise ship south of San Diego
Carnival Splendor was on a seven-day Mexican cruise that started in Long Beach

By Susan Shroder

Originally published November 8, 2010 at 5:50 p.m., updated November 8, 2010 at 7:25 p.m.

A seven-day Mexican cruise was cut short Monday for 3,299 passengers when a fire broke out in the aft engine room of the Carnival Splendor about 150 miles south of San Diego, prompting the cruise line to terminate the ship’s itinerary and have the vessel towed to Ensenada in Baja California, Mexico.

The ship left Sunday from its home port of Long Beach. The fire was reported about 6 a.m. Monday, said Joyce Oliva, a Carnival Cruise Lines spokeswoman. The cause was not immediately known.

There were no injuries to passengers or the 1,167 crew members.

The ship’s engineers worked all day to restore power but were unsuccessful, Oliva said. Emergency generators provided lights, but the ship did not have working air conditioning, hot food service, flushing toilets or telephones. Bottled water and cold food were being provided.

The Coast Guard sent three cutters and a C-130 plane to the area, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Kevin Metcalf. No one boarded the ship because there was no pending danger, he said.

When the fire broke out, passengers were asked to move from their cabins to the ship’s upper open decks, Oliva said. They were later allowed to return to their cabins.

The cruise itinerary included stops in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo San Lucas. The ship began operating in July 2008.

The fire was extinguished by the ship’s C02 system, Metcalf said. The system provides a blanket of heavy gas that absorbs heat from fire and reduces the oxygen content in the atmosphere to the point where combustion becomes impossible.

The passengers will receive a full refund, reimbursement for transportation costs, and a free future cruise, said Gerry Cahill, CEO of Carnival Cruise Lines.

“Conditions onboard the ship are very challenging, and we sincerely apologize for the discomfort and inconvenience our guests are current enduring,” Cahill said Monday night.

susan.shroder@uniontrib.com • (619) 293-1876

Bob H - 11-9-2010 at 08:49 AM

Passengers will be transported by bus from Ensenada back home and given a rull refund. In addition, they will get vouchers for a free cruise at a later date.

What a vacation, huh?

More here.....
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101109/ap_on_re_us/us_cruise_sh...

bajaguy - 11-9-2010 at 08:50 AM

Maybe they can do some shopping in Ensenada before the return to the US

wessongroup - 11-9-2010 at 09:17 AM

Wow, sounds like one of my vacations... think maybe hotel rooms for all and a few days in Ensenada would make it a bit easier for the trip back on buses...

bajabass - 11-9-2010 at 09:21 AM

It was all over the local ABC news this morning. For a while the septic system was non-operational. :o Running on emergency generators now.

BillP - 11-9-2010 at 10:05 AM

3299 passengers is going to require a serious amount of busses, like 65 I'm guessing.

DanO - 11-9-2010 at 10:09 AM

4500 people and no working toilets. Lends new meaning to the term "poop deck."

sanquintinsince73 - 11-9-2010 at 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Maybe they can do some shopping in Ensenada before the return to the US

Or maybe an evening at Anthonys.

bajadock - 11-9-2010 at 12:17 PM

The Pentagon is not denying that the ship was hit by a rogue ICBM missile.

DENNIS - 11-9-2010 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73

http://www.ensenada.com/index.php?option=com_sobi2&sobi2...

sanquintinsince73 - 11-9-2010 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Ahh yes. I see that crazy gorilla every month as I drive into Ensenada. Kids won't let me go in and have just one.........drink.

pepino - 11-9-2010 at 12:56 PM

No A/C, no heat, no flushing toilets, only bottled water and no hot food. Oh yea..limited electricity.

Sounds like boot camp for new Baja tourists.

Bajahowodd - 11-9-2010 at 03:19 PM

Will the Ensenada Chamber of Commerce stop at nothing? This ship was not scheduled to call there. Now....

DanO - 11-9-2010 at 05:49 PM

The Coast Guard is airdropping canned crab meat, croissants, Pop Tarts and Spam. Wow. Sounds like one of the mystery menu baskets on the TV show Chopped.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40084109/ns/travel-news/

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by DanO]

bajalearner - 11-9-2010 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
It was all over the local ABC news this morning. For a while the septic system was non-operational. :o Running on emergency generators now.

Wow, no chit?

woody with a view - 11-9-2010 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahh yes. I see that crazy gorilla every month as I drive into Ensenada. Kids won't let me go in and have just one.........drink.

sign on the front door say, in spanish, "the drunks were once good people." can someone get me that tee shirt? Bia would go in with me but i'd be afraid to leave my truck, all loaded down, and go have a look-see....:o

BajaWarrior - 11-9-2010 at 07:17 PM

10 news San Diego just reported that the ship will go to San Diego instead of Ensenada and will arrive on Thursday.

DanO - 11-9-2010 at 07:26 PM

Yeah, I bet they nearly had a mutiny on their hands when they told the passengers that they'd be disembarking at Ensenada and then taking buses through TJ and the border.

bajadock - 11-9-2010 at 07:41 PM

Guessing that costs were a factor on redirect to San Diego. San Nicolas hotel said that Carnival had booked all available rooms in Ensenada.

Hotel and food plus the bus from Ensenada to Long Beach add up to a lot of Spam.

Bob H - 11-9-2010 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
10 news San Diego just reported that the ship will go to San Diego instead of Ensenada and will arrive on Thursday.

Yes, I guess a committee of people decided that taking the passengers and crew to Ensenada and then back to the USA by bus was not a good idea and/or feasible.

Tug boats are pushing that ship to San Diego. That's gonna be one slow journey, over 48 hours!

The cruise line has offered the passengers a full refund and a free cruise in the future.

Bob H - 11-9-2010 at 07:47 PM

Juse heard on the news that the tug boats can move that ship @ 4 miles per hour!

200 miles = 50 hours!

woody with a view - 11-9-2010 at 07:59 PM

so what? it's off san quintin? i'd take the bus....

edit: 24 hours to ensenada. 6 hours to get on a bus and make the border. 2 hours in line. still make it home 16 hours before the boat....

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by woody with a view]

BajaBlanca - 11-9-2010 at 08:29 PM

one of our guests went back early to take that cruise ..... oh my gosh ... he wasn't too happy about taking the cruise in the first place, can you imagine his feelings about it now ??!!!
poor guy .... everyone was teading him about it :no::no:

The Sculpin - 11-9-2010 at 08:32 PM

Sheesh - a rather typical baja trip. The only difference is THEY get a refund!!

oxxo - 11-9-2010 at 08:40 PM

:lol: I just found out my brother, sister-in-law, and two cousins are on that cruise! Serves them right. They voted against the pot initiative in this last election. I bet they wish they had a joint right about now! :lol:

Ensenada Tourism

bajaguy - 11-9-2010 at 08:52 PM

Info from another Ensenada area poster indicates that the cruise line has rented every available hotel room in Ensenada for 3000+ passengers. they will be in Ensenada for two nights then bussed to Los Angeles..............hope no one is in line at the SY northbound crosing when 65 busses show up!!!!!

wessongroup - 11-9-2010 at 09:02 PM

Hey, sounds like it will be a kick in the ass, get to have the town of Ensenada turned into a Fesita for a couple of days...

Would think the "people" could dig it... a little "cabin fever" could go away pretty fast at a some of the really good places to see and eat in Ensenada... now this sounds like a job for Dennis... :) and lets have some more suggestions.. would like to but ......

Wish them all the best .... enjoy it... they didn't get wet, no one killed, your in Baja in Ensenada are really pretty town ... hell stay the week...

:):)

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by wessongroup]

Lauriboats - 11-9-2010 at 09:27 PM

Tonights news said that Carnival was going to reimburse everyone and give them a voucher for another cruise.

sanquintinsince73 - 11-9-2010 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
:lol: I just found out my brother, sister-in-law, and two cousins are on that cruise! Serves them right. They voted against the pot initiative in this last election. I bet they wish they had a joint right about now! :lol:

Maybe they can signal one of the cartels to make an air drop.

sanquintinsince73 - 11-9-2010 at 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
The Coast Guard is airdropping canned crab meat, croissants, Pop Tarts and Spam. Wow. Sounds like one of the mystery menu baskets on the TV show Chopped.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40084109/ns/travel-news/

[Edited on 11-10-2010 by DanO]

Crab meat & croissants? If it were a cargo ship or trawler would they drop MRE's?

Bob H - 11-10-2010 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Juse heard on the news that the tug boats can move that ship @ 4 miles per hour!

200 miles = 50 hours!

OK, found out this morning that they were only using ONE tug boat. Someome made a decision to add another tug boat. I guess the cruise line is trying to cut corners.

The ship should arrive in San Diego Thursday afternoon or evening!

Here's the latest update:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101110/ap_on_bi_ge/us_cruise_sh...

ckiefer - 11-10-2010 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe they can signal one of the cartels to make an air drop.

That's hilarious!! :lol::lol::lol:

Bajahowodd - 11-10-2010 at 05:58 PM

The unfortunate lesson to be learned here is that while Carnival was ready and willing to give these folks a free vacation in Ensenada, and I might say at some very fine hotels, they apparently received so much flak about subjecting their passengers to the dangers of near border Mexico, that they made the decision to tug the ship all the way to San Diego. Such a shame. And, just think about the fact that due to the ship's limited capacity, these passengers are having to eat cold food, and shower without hot water. I'd much rather spend two nights at the San Nicolas. I just hope that when Carnival made the decision to tug on up to SD, they also made some sort of payment to the hotels where they originally booked their passengers. Only fair.

DENNIS - 11-10-2010 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
I guess the cruise line is trying to cut corners.

Yeah...right to the end. I've been told by ardent cruisers never to go aboard a Carnival Cruise.....even if it's free.

DENNIS - 11-10-2010 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
The unfortunate lesson to be learned here is that while Carnival was ready and willing to give these folks a free vacation in Ensenada, and I might say at some very fine hotels,

I can't imagine that there are 4000 fine rooms available in Ensenada....ever, and doncha know the price probably inflated through the roof.

mtgoat666 - 11-10-2010 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Tug boats are pushing that ship to San Diego.

bob dude:
the tug boats are "tugging" and not "pushing"

Cypress - 11-11-2010 at 05:58 AM

They're feeding 'em SPAM.:lol::lol:

k-rico - 11-11-2010 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
They're feeding 'em SPAM.:lol::lol:

Hey, a slice of SPAM between two freshly toasted cherry pop-tarts, add some mustard, what could be better??

I guess they also lost refridgeration and the ability to cook the food they have onboard.

Lots of joking about this but a ship with 4000 people onboard losing propulsion - what a screw-up!!

Good thing they are relatively close to port in calm weather.

Cypress - 11-11-2010 at 06:56 AM

Yea, I like SPAM. Browned in a skillet with a little gravey, poured over mashed spuds. Yummy. But, I doubt if those folks on that ship are very happy about their SPAM.

World War II saw the largest use of Spam

mcfez - 11-11-2010 at 09:50 AM

Getting fed Spam on Veterans Day. Now that's ironic!

Bob H - 11-11-2010 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Tug boats are pushing that ship to San Diego.

bob dude:
the tug boats are "tugging" and not "pushing"

I had a different vision, but you are correct - I saw photos.

But, sometimes they do 'push'...
http://www.solarnavigator.net/tugs.htm

:biggrin:

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by Bob H]

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 10:00 AM

I love Spam. We've had some kickass Spam threads here in the past and they always inspire me to go to the store for a can or two.

Spamchiladas....one of my favorites. YUMMY

BajaGringo - 11-11-2010 at 10:06 AM

Spam - ahhhh, the memories of my youth...

:lol::lol::lol:

BillP - 11-11-2010 at 10:21 AM

Cut spam into cubes, put it on skewers with chunks of pineapple and red onion, brush with teriyaki and grill. Fun party food.

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
Cut spam into cubes, put it on skewers with chunks of pineapple and red onion, brush with teriyaki and grill. Fun party food.

That really sounds good. I'll write that one down for later.

Unknown to some, Spam has excellent rujuvination qualities:

http://nozama.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/09/sp...

wessongroup - 11-11-2010 at 10:50 AM

the "ham" of our family when growing up.. I can remember my mom putting "Cloves" into the uncut block and serving like a real ham... along with "fresh baked rolls"

what more can a growing family of five want for.... in the late 1940's after the war....

has made me hungry... know what I'm having for lunch today... thanks.. still like it too.....

DianaT - 11-11-2010 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
The unfortunate lesson to be learned here is that while Carnival was ready and willing to give these folks a free vacation in Ensenada, and I might say at some very fine hotels, they apparently received so much flak about subjecting their passengers to the dangers of near border Mexico, that they made the decision to tug the ship all the way to San Diego. Such a shame. And, just think about the fact that due to the ship's limited capacity, these passengers are having to eat cold food, and shower without hot water. I'd much rather spend two nights at the San Nicolas. I just hope that when Carnival made the decision to tug on up to SD, they also made some sort of payment to the hotels where they originally booked their passengers. Only fair.

On the radio, we heard them state that they decided to not subject the passengers to a trip through the dangerous war torn area between Ensenada and the border. War torn---could not believe they actually used that expression----quite a visual expression. :o

Spam---loved it as a kid----but now to be eating that instead of a fresh roasted chicken with hand made tortillas and fries dripping with grease, or a very fresh fish taco, well I think I would have started a mutiny and headed for Encenada. :biggrin:

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
On the radio, we heard them state that they decided to not subject the passengers to a trip through the dangerous war torn area between Ensenada and the border. War torn---could not believe they actually used that expression----quite a visual expression. :o

I'll bet there are a lot of passengers on the voyage who had that in mind when they booked it. Can't blame them. They just don't want to deal with any of it so they paid to go around it. It was a time for fun....not making statements or, in their minds, taking chances.

Give them all Spamargaritas. All will be well.

mtgoat666 - 11-11-2010 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
they decided to not subject the passengers to a trip through the dangerous war torn area between Ensenada and the border. War torn---could not believe they actually used that expression----quite a visual expression. :o

well, how many people died in past year in TJ-Ensenada area due to drug war? and how many federal troops are in TJ-ensenada area to keep peace and root out bad guys?

all things considered, sounds like a WAR is going on in border region. this year most battles are a bit to the east, but the same war is going on in baja and mainland. it's a war zone, you juts have not seen large local battles recently.

as to ensenada having good places to stay -- there are maybe 200 "good" hotel rooms in Ensenada, and the rest are probably not the type that passengers would care to stay in. Ensenada does not have sufficient "good" hotel rooms to absorb a cruise ship load of people.

and based on this thread it seems like local expats think spam is good cusisine, so maybe that speaks to the local restaurants faire? :lol::lol::lol:

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
and based on this thread it seems like local expats think spam is good cusisine, so maybe that speaks to the local restaurants faire? :lol::lol::lol:

Hey, Goat.....You've posted 2297 times and every one of them has been Spam. :lol::lol:

Jes kiddin'.

wessongroup - 11-11-2010 at 12:25 PM

"spam is good cusisine" .... yeah, sure... and all Denny's server terrible food too...

please do a public service and make of a list of GARR's (Goat Approved Food and Restaurants)

So we will not make the same mistake in selecting our food groups and eating locations

Don't think anyone said it was the set down meal they ordered at a restaurant, not sure one can order a "spam" sandwich, never seen it on a menu .... rather many have had it and associated it with different eating experiences... in their lives...

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
not sure one can order a "spam" sandwich, never seen it on a menu ....

Never been to Hawaii, Wiley? Spam is the Filet Mignon of the Islands.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/hawaii...

krafty - 11-11-2010 at 01:04 PM

they apparently could not secure enough buses either to transport the pax from the cruise ship-must be a slow news day-why is this such a big story?Spam is the #1 food on Guam-Hormel even made a hot and spicy version, which is terrific cut up and put in fried rice-

sanquintinsince73 - 11-11-2010 at 01:15 PM

Spam and huevos rocks!! My favorite is Hawaiian style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNL5YTsEJno

mtgoat666 - 11-11-2010 at 01:34 PM

Quote:
Never been to Hawaii, Wiley? Spam is the Filet Mignon of the Islands.

just because they eat it does not make it local equivalent of "filet mignon." if a person ate Hawaiian food from Zippys everyday, could they survive past age 40 without having a coronary or developing diabetes?

wessongroup - 11-11-2010 at 01:48 PM

sure, or instead of Zippys they could do Mc Donald's ... for a month... ever see
"Super Size it"...

Bajahowodd - 11-11-2010 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Quote:
they decided to not subject the passengers to a trip through the dangerous war torn area between Ensenada and the border. War torn---could not believe they actually used that expression----quite a visual expression. :o

as to ensenada having good places to stay -- there are maybe 200 "good" hotel rooms in Ensenada, and the rest are probably not the type that passengers would care to stay in. Ensenada does not have sufficient "good" hotel rooms to absorb a cruise ship load of people.

As for "good" hotel rooms- Before the drug crime spree, several cruise ship operators used Ensenada as the point of embarkation for the cruises they ran to and from Hawaii. This was because due to us shipping laws, foreign flagged vessels had to make a foreign port call, lest they are not allowed to transport passengers directly between US ports. Cruise lines used to offer pre-cruise hotel packages in Ensenada. San Nicolas was one place. I believe Corona was also involved.

Since the "war" became a public relations nightmare, these same cruise lines now embark from LA/ Long Beach ansd make a day call at Ensenada.

Woooosh - 11-11-2010 at 02:40 PM

Better that the cruise lines be cautious on overnighting thousands in Ensenada on short notice. One more bad incident for these passengers trip and it would make things worse for Mexico tourism than it is now. Given the current "c-ckroach effect" impact on Ensenada crime, they were better off going direct to San Diego. Ensenada never made much sense as a destination for this disabled ship with San Diego being so close by. Nice happy ending though. I'll bet the ship stabilizers were out and one rogue wave could have been the next Poseidon Adventure.

DENNIS - 11-11-2010 at 03:29 PM

I look at pictures of that ship and wonder if it would have fit in the harbor? I'm guessing NO.
The QE2 pays a visit occasionally and they have to shuttle the passengers to shore.

Good Point

Bajahowodd - 11-11-2010 at 03:37 PM

Quote:
I look at pictures of that ship and wonder if it would have fit in the harbor? I'm guessing NO.
The QE2 pays a visit occasionally and they have to shuttle the passengers to shore.

The ships just keep getting bigger. Royal Caribbean has a new class of ship that carries 6,000 passengers. The size of the ships limit the ports to which they can call. Interesting that the intended itinerary of the Carnival ship was Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. Cabo does not have docking facilities. So, imagine having to tender-in over 3,000 people. Think about doing that for 6,000!

mcfez - 11-11-2010 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:

The ships just keep getting bigger. Royal Caribbean has a new class of ship that carries 6,000 passengers. The size of the ships limit the ports to which they can call. Interesting that the intended itinerary of the Carnival ship was Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta and Cabo. Cabo does not have docking facilities. So, imagine having to tender-in over 3,000 people. Think about doing that for 6,000!

Many of the Ports of Call on cruises we have taken.....did not dock up but rather had the guest go back and forth on the transports to land. Water taxis were abundant too.
One cant really imagine the size of these ships till you cruise thru the Tracy Arm to reach Sawyer Glacier. A narrow fjord meanders among towering mountains and massive chunks of ice for over thirty miles.....and then you pass another liner so close..you can talk to the others on their deck! Then it hits you...just how tall these ships are.

Bob H - 11-12-2010 at 11:25 AM

Here's a very good article from a UK link, with lots of photos.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328098/Passengers-s...

DENNIS - 11-12-2010 at 11:32 AM

Watching the last night news of the passengers coming off the ship being interviewed, one would think they were coming off the Titanic. Oh...what a terrible ordeal. They completely missed the value of an experience outside McDonalds.
Jeeeeezo....seems like most I saw were huge, bulbous, rotund and just plain fat.

oxxo - 11-12-2010 at 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNISJeeeeezo....seems like most I saw were huge, bulbous, rotund and just plain fat.

Well try eating a diet consisting of Spam and croissants only, for 4 days, and see what happens! :lol: My brother and SIL were too fat already. Serves them right!

DENNIS - 11-12-2010 at 01:28 PM

Quote:

Well try eating a diet consisting of Spam and croissants only, for 4 days, and see what happens!

But...But...Spam is supposed to be "The other white meat." What happened? My world is falling apart.

mcfez - 11-12-2010 at 01:35 PM

My buddy Tony who was on that ship...
Told me everyone got free Spam Hats as they left the ship yesterday.

hats.jpg - 7kB

Cypress - 11-12-2010 at 01:41 PM

Bought a can of SPAM today, gonna enjoy it.;D

DENNIS - 11-12-2010 at 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
My buddy Tony who was on that ship...
Told me everyone got free Spam Hats as they left the ship yesterday.

I think the deal was, you either get the Spam hat or another cruise at a later date.
There were people all over downtown SD with those hats yesterday. :lol:

Bajahowodd - 11-12-2010 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Watching the last night news of the passengers coming off the ship being interviewed, one would think they were coming off the Titanic. Oh...what a terrible ordeal. They completely missed the value of an experience outside McDonalds.
Jeeeeezo....seems like most I saw were huge, bulbous, rotund and just plain fat.

That's because back in the day seafarers were a hearty bunch. What with water slides, rock climbing, golf, bowling and the like, they may just as well just keep these monsters moored to the dock like a floating hotel. A new class of ships now has an interior park-like setting with grass and trees, geez.

Bob H - 11-12-2010 at 10:30 PM

More on Spam... it all began in 1937......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spam_(food)

Edit:...... awhhh cut and paste the entire link. Sorry

[Edited on 11-13-2010 by Bob H]