BajaNomad

Stone Wall Peak Hike

tripledigitken - 11-13-2010 at 11:55 AM

For out weekly hike we decided to climb Stone Wall Peak in Cuyamaca State Park. With a crystal clear day ahead views should be epic.

There are a couple of ways to approach the climb/hike. The easiest to find is from Picaho State Park entrance, pay an $8 fee and cross 79 to the trail head. After 1.8 miles you have summited. The way we chose was to go through Los Caballos horse camp (now closed due to fire damage). We parked off highway 79 at the 90 degree turn just south of Lake Cuyamaca. Then we walked up the highway to the entrance to horse camp (about 10 minutes walk). If you hike through the corrals to the east end you will encounter a horse trail and the trail head. At that point it is 1.8 miles to the peak.

This is mountain lion country and I was on the lookout for them. We managed to see deer, turkey and shrooms! With over 100 miles visibility the views from the peak were awesome. To the east you could see the Salton Sea, to the north San Jacinto, and to the west San Clemente Island at over 110 miles!

The area is recovering from the 2007 fires and is a mix of dead and surviving trees. The burned areas are scenic in a way, and if you use your imagination, like clouds you will see some strange images.

The Peak is on the right

Lake Cuyamaca, at left of pic is a 90 degree turn where we started the hike

Look on the horizon to the right, you will see San Clemente Island (110+miles distant)

Bart Simpson, I didn't eat those shrooms, by the way!

Lots of deer and turkeys

[Edited on 12-14-2011 by tripledigitken]

Cypress - 11-13-2010 at 01:21 PM

tripledigitken, Thanks! Neat country!;D

Barry A. - 11-13-2010 at 02:00 PM

Great shots, Triple.

I climbed that little peak back in 1948, and you sure can see more today then back then. Amazing how fires open up the viewscape, and make things on the ground so much more in evidence.

I pined for the Sierra Nevada Range back then, and scoffed at the San Diego County "hills", but now I appreciate the back country of SD county so much more-------it is truly beautiful, even partially burned!!! and a lot more accessible.

Cool shots, for sure.

Barry

Bajaboy - 11-13-2010 at 02:57 PM

Great shots. We hike Cuyamaca Peak often and I do a lot of trail running in that area as well. Nothing beats that area on a clear day.

Mexitron - 11-14-2010 at 11:10 AM

I love that San Diego back country---thanks for sharing the pics...when I get back to CA I think I'll drive every road there is up there and re-explore!

Von - 11-14-2010 at 03:14 PM

I love this place! I had a race up there a month ago called the Lost boys 50

miles from Borrego springs up oriflame and around Stonewall and up

cuyamaca it was awesome!

Bajaboy - 11-14-2010 at 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Von
I love this place! I had a race up there a month ago called the Lost boys 50

miles from Borrego springs up oriflame and around Stonewall and up

cuyamaca it was awesome!

Hey Von-
I'm wearing a Lost Boys t-shirt right now! The family and I camped that weekend and were in charge of Aid Station 1. I cleared the course up Pinyon Wash/Mtn. Sorry I missed you.

Zac

Von - 11-14-2010 at 06:22 PM

Hey Zach! been a while cool! yeah i cruised by aid station one. That was atuff race my first 50 miler did ok finished in 11hrs 37 minutes. lol~ ouch!