BajaNomad

MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!

Pages:  1    3

David K - 11-19-2010 at 06:03 PM

Got home, checked email, alerts every 5 minutes coming fropm Mike's SPOT device.... Here is the first message , which automatically repeats every five minutes:

Younghusbands spot
Latitude:29.57756
Longitude:-115.32463 GPS location
Date/Time:11/19/2010 15:36:40 PST
Message: I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy

I called Graham, and talked to Bonni... Graham is broken down in Mulege waiting for parts from Constitucion to arrive.

Tammy is Mike's daughter...

Mike is in a very remote place, he hiked up a canyon away from the coast towards the mesa...

Here are the Google images close to farther up, then one looking south.

There is a road onto the north part of the Mesa de San Carlos from Hwy. 1 at old El Progreso, near Mision San Fernando... but not one to the south mesa, below which Mike is located.

Edit: There is a closer road up to the mesa from the Punta San Carlos road... see the maps and images added on Nov. 20.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by David K]

BornFisher - 11-19-2010 at 06:08 PM

Thank God for that Spot device. Hoping all will be O.K. with Mike and DonKay (and Graham)!!

Mulegena - 11-19-2010 at 06:23 PM

Can assistance be sent from El Rosario and/or one of the fishing villages?

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 06:26 PM

what town is closest to him now ???????????? anyone here in Mexico that I can call who is closer than we are (La Bocana) ??????

Ken Cooke - 11-19-2010 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Got home, checked email, alerts every 5 minutes coming fropm Mike's SPOT device.... Here is the first message , which automatically repeats every five minutes:

Younghusbands spot
Message: I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy

Let me know if I can be of assistance. The Rubicon is Baja-ready and I have no obligations until Thanksgiving Thursday.:!:

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 06:28 PM

Mulegena - maybe someone in Mulege can lend Graham a car ???? He knows the way like the back of his hand .... seems like the BEST person to go ...

woody with a view - 11-19-2010 at 06:31 PM

get Ed Lusk on the trail.

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 06:31 PM

David - I just walked in the door, turned on the PC and read this. Do you have any more info? I figure that I am probably about a 90 minute drive from Mike and would be glad to take off right now and help but it would help if I knew what to do / bring???

I'll send you a u2u...

Mulegena - 11-19-2010 at 06:34 PM

Agreed, Blanca. I'm not in Mulege now or would be already on the run. Can you call Mike and Roz? No one on my Skype contact list is online at the moment.

David K - 11-19-2010 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
David - I just walked in the door, turned on the PC and read this. Do you have any more info? I figure that I am probably about a 90 minute drive from Mike and would be glad to take off right now and help but it would help if I knew what to do / bring???

I'll send you a u2u...

Hi Ron (and others).. The SPOT device only has emailed me what I posted... and that same email is coming every 5 minutes. No other info. sadly...

Here are the maps... I will look at Google to if there are any roads on top of the Santa Catarina Mesa... The San Carlos Mesa road is the only one I know about... and Neal Johns has been on it years ago.

Blanca... he is between the fishing villages of San Carlos and Santa Catarina... closest town is El Rosario.

DianaT - 11-19-2010 at 06:48 PM

Quote:

I'll send you a u2u...

What about the Mexican authorities? Gees, I hope he is OK

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 06:48 PM

BajaGringo is right - what to take ??????? what is the emergency ???

snake ?? scorpion ?? Send me a number via U2U, Mulegena and I will call.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BajaBlanca]

astrobaja - 11-19-2010 at 06:49 PM

Before anybody does anything we need to know exactly what the problem is, is it a vet emergency with the donkey? If it is the best thing to do is to let the animal rest with food & water.

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 06:50 PM

Looking at the map and on Google Earth, that area (it appears) can only be reached on foot. Mike will need more help than my 4wd can bring. Let me start calling some local contacts to see what I can round up...

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 06:54 PM

David - I think we should call ANTONIO - Baja Cactus and see what he suggests ....

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
Before anybody does anything we need to know exactly what the problem is, is it a vet emergency with the donkey? If it is the best thing to do is to let the animal rest with food & water.

That was my first thought as well but the fact that an alert continues to be broadcast every 5 minutes tells me we should take this seriously. I would rather we err on the side of caution - that is a very remote area Mike is in, the night is cold and it is windy down that way right now...

David K - 11-19-2010 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja

No way to know... no satellite phone, only an automatic signal with two levels of outgoing message...

I need to go back to my email and see if anything different is there.

He looks to be 1.7 miles up that arroyo from the coast... It appears that instead of following the coast, he decided to head for the mesa... but who knows why? The closest road is to Santa Catarina Landing, but that is at the base of the mesa. The next road is on Mesa de San Carlos... about 10 miles away. He is about 6-7 miles as the crow flies from Santa Catarina.

David K - 11-19-2010 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
David - I think we should call ANTONIO - Baja Cactus and see what he suggests ....

Antonio is in Las Vegas...

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 07:00 PM

I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it...

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 07:01 PM

I know, but Antonio is surely the most competent to tell us how to proceed - the army can go .... or he has contacts who can at least go by boat - our coop has vigilantes who comb the shores by boat - maybe those villages close by have someone who can go ???

I think Antonio can help.

BajaRat - 11-19-2010 at 07:02 PM

Nice work! Thiis goes beyond the B.S.
Nomads unite! Blessings to all involved.
Keep us posted for needs.
Lionel

David K - 11-19-2010 at 07:04 PM

Ron is on top of things... The Solo Sports Guy (at Punta San Carlos) who was with Mike can be contacted if necessary...

Ken Cooke - 11-19-2010 at 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ron is on top of things... The Solo Sports Guy (at Punta San Carlos) who was with Mike can be contacted if necessary...

That's good to hear. I'm curious to know what sort of emergency has taken place. Hopefully, it is a false alarm.

astrobaja - 11-19-2010 at 07:07 PM

Good that the authorities are involved Ron! without knowing what has happened its hard to know what to do. But a 4 year old donkey is quite young to do such a trip loaded pretty heavily it seems. We have 20 years of experience with horses/animals and it takes time (years!) for an animal to build endurance just like a human athlete. A donkey if its exhausted will lie down and refuse to move. If this is the case he needs to abandon most of his supplies and let don kay rest! Lets hope its not a medical emergency with Mike!

woody with a view - 11-19-2010 at 07:09 PM

couldn't happen in a worse place. now let's hope the rescuers do not become victims in their haste to help.....

good luck Mike!

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 07:09 PM

way to go BajaGringo. and really, thank God Mike has the spot device. Praying he is OK.

BajaGringo - 11-19-2010 at 07:10 PM

Heading out the door - will post when I know more...

DianaT - 11-19-2010 at 07:14 PM

Quote:

We will be waiting, and keeping positive thoughts for a positive outcome. :yes::yes:

Mulegena - 11-19-2010 at 07:15 PM

Blanca, check your u2u for Mulege contact info.

Thanks Everyone, Maria

mcfez - 11-19-2010 at 07:16 PM

Quote:

This dude BajaGringo is a hero at the very least.

Can donate money if required to help out the guy.

mtgoat666 - 11-19-2010 at 07:17 PM

BajaGringo to the rescue!!!!!

The spot just transmits "911" type alert,... unfortunately does not tell you what the nature of the "911" may be.

BajaRat - 11-19-2010 at 07:20 PM

Theres a big Windsurfing camp and some residents on Punta san carlos, internet access and everything. Looking for PH# now.
Lionel

woody with a view - 11-19-2010 at 07:26 PM

the thing about the solosurfcamp is there is no road to Mike's spot. a boat can get there, but then what, in the dark?

bad stuff happens in the worst places...........

Diver - 11-19-2010 at 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
BajaGringo to the rescue!!!!!

I've been on the end of one of Ron's offer to drive 90 miles just to help us.
He is very capable and true blue; I'm betting on him !

It appears that Mike would have followed the coast until he headed up the aroyo he is in, from the beach. If so, they had quite a trudge through deep sand/silt and then quite an uphill climb to where he is now. About 11-12 kilometers today following that path. This could have been their most strenuous day.

BajaRat - 11-19-2010 at 07:35 PM

Just spoke with Kevin at SoloSports....said that Mike and Don-Kay were there recently, and that there is no road or 4WD access in that area. Said that Mike had talked about taking an inland route. Kevin is on the case and is making contact right now with Punta San Carlos residents. Please don't be fooled, this is no 90 minute drive, even from El Rosario. Kevin said he will post here shortly. I suggest that we wait for the people who are most familiar with this area and not make any hasty moves.

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 07:37 PM

I called the guy at solo in the states and he will email san carlos

good news - he says the military flew out and rescued some surfers on an island last year - he will try to find out how that came about as well

things are moving but I feel like my hands are tied. wish I could do more....

shari - 11-19-2010 at 07:40 PM

oh man....we just drove like hell to get home from Vizcaino to try to mobilize help for Mike after receiveing a call from Graham's wife a couple hours ago.

The spot device automatically goes off every 5 minutes but we stopped getting the messages at 4:30, there were 10 repetitions.

Does anyone know how mike sends the spot messages? is there a keyboard of sorts? can he send more detailed info?? If it is not life threatening, someone can hike in with some supplies, water, meds...I dont understand why he didnt provide more info...lesson to learn there!!! Do we organize an emergency evacuation or just get someone to check on him...not an easy task.

What we need to know is if someone has already called the military who would be the best ones to get to Mike via helicopter or hiking in...they are prepared for this...can someone give me a phone number of who may be organizing a rescue...Ron's number??? MIke's wife?...we dont want to confuse the issue...because we dont know the nature of the problem it's hard to know how to respond. I wish we had set out perimeters for this before in the event of something...for example a colour code...code orange for send someone in...code red for helicopter rescue or something like that. From the message, it doesnt sound life threatening...perhaps something wrong with Don Kay or water supply was stolen by coyotes, or sprained ankle or something like that.

Ron could you please let us know what the plan is? thanks

David K - 11-19-2010 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Theres a big Windsurfing camp and some residents on Punta san carlos, internet access and everything. Looking for PH# now.
Lionel

The caretaker met with Mike and Don-Kay a couple days ago... I am betting he will see this soon. I do have the cantact details for Solosports sent to me from a Nomad... Nothing the caretaker can do tonight... But help is on the way... I hope the big rain misses the area.

The automatic messages arrived in my email starting at 3:36pm and came every 5 minutes until the last one at 4:30 pm.

If I get anything new, I will post it right here... I will check my email before crashing for the night... then first thing when I wake in the morning.

Hat's off to Ron (BajaGringo) for going into action.

I was going to post on other forums, but no need to with Ron so in control... If needed, we can get help from some of the Baja 1000 race teams retyurning north, perhaps... But, I think Ron has things handled.

Santiago - 11-19-2010 at 07:46 PM

David: did the "help" or the "911" button get pushed. If "help", then he is probably not in physical danger. If "911" then he may be, but also the Central dispach in Huston, I think, would have been notified and they would be working with 'local' rescue folks. I'm guessing that the 'help' button has been pushed given the way you have reported. This would indicate he is not in life threatening danger but needs help in order to get out of what ever situatin has developed.

David K - 11-19-2010 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
oh man....we just drove like hell to get home from Vizcaino to try to mobilize help for Mike after receiveing a call from Graham's wife a couple hours ago.

The spot device automatically goes off every 5 minutes but we stopped getting the messages at 4:30, there were 10 repetitions.

Does anyone know how mike sends the spot messages? is there a keyboard of sorts? can he send more detailed info?? If it is not life threatening, someone can hike in with some supplies, water, meds...I dont understand why he didnt provide more info...lesson to learn there!!! Do we organize an emergency evacuation or just get someone to check on him...not an easy task.

What we need to know is if someone has already called the military who would be the best ones to get to Mike via helicopter or hiking in...they are prepared for this...can someone give me a phone number of who may be organizing a rescue...Ron's number??? MIke's wife?...we dont want to confuse the issue...because we dont know the nature of the problem it's hard to know how to respond. I wish we had set out perimeters for this before in the event of something...for example a colour code...code orange for send someone in...code red for helicopter rescue or something like that. From the message, it doesnt sound life threatening...perhaps something wrong with Don Kay or water supply was stolen by coyotes, or sprained ankle or something like that.

Ron could you please let us know what the plan is? thanks

Shari... I think it is covered well by Ron... The Spot device has only three transmitting options:

1) All Okay, here is where I am.
2) Having a problem, standby.
3) Send Assistance.

I have been getting the #1 message every day until today.

The value of a satellite phone really becomes clear in this type of situation.

David K - 11-19-2010 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
David: did the "help" or the "911" button get pushed. If "help", then he is probably not in physical danger. If "911" then he may be, but also the Central dispach in Huston, I think, would have been notified and they would be working with 'local' rescue folks. I'm guessing that the 'help' button has been pushed given the way you have reported. This would indicate he is not in life threatening danger but needs help in order to get out of what ever situatin has developed.

Hi Jim... I posted the entire message I got... and it was sent for almost an hour every five minutes.

Bajaboy - 11-19-2010 at 07:54 PM

DK-

We're crossing the border at 5:00 am tomorrow....let me know if there is anything we can do. We had planned to go to PSR but our schedule is open. I will check the computer before we leave. U2U me if you need my number.

zac

David K - 11-19-2010 at 07:56 PM

10-4 Zac... Just read Nomad before you go, I will post anything that could be important here. You and your family have a safe trip!

shari - 11-19-2010 at 07:57 PM

this is the message I got....

"Message:I need assistance! I will call the closest person, if I cannot call, expect a call from from Alice or Tammy"

I was just wondering if this is a prerecorded message or if he has a way to type in a message...if he can type it is...he is fine but just out of telcel territory and needs some assistance....I'm feeling a bit better now thanks to all the notices here...way to go Ron.

SPOT DEVICE

David K - 11-19-2010 at 08:01 PM

Features of SPOT include:

Alert 911, to dispatch emergency search and rescue responders to the device's location

Ask for Help, to request help from pre-defined contact(s) such as family or friends

Check In, to transmit a location message to pre-defined contact(s)

Track Progress, to periodically transmit and save the device's location for viewing on Google Maps. This requires the account holder to have purchased the optional continuous tracking subscription.

Roadside Assistance, In January 2009 Spot announced that beginning Spring 2009 users will be able to purchase road side assistance for $29 annually.

Messages are sent to email addresses specified by the account holder, and optionally to SMS messages within the USA. The descriptive text of the various messages can be customised by the account holder.

The device will repeat transmission of its emergency messages at predefined interval until the user cancels the emergency, turns off the device, or until the batteries run out.

SPOT's transmission ability is one-way only so the device is unable to give the user confirmation that a message was successfully sent, or to allow the rescue service to talk to the user to determine what the situation is.[

woody with a view - 11-19-2010 at 08:06 PM

so he is in need of help. maybe the mexican govt can gleen some positive press with the rescue of another crazy gringo.

now let's hope Mike stays put, builds a shelter and catches a break with the rain that he doesn't know is coming.......

bad place for a breakdown! suerte!

Curt63 - 11-19-2010 at 08:13 PM

Do any Nomads out there have connections to SCORE, Honda or other major race teams with a helicopter?

I'm guessing celebrations could be in full swing in La Paz at this hour, but....

There could be an American helicopter crew somewhere that could respond.

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 08:19 PM

I think we should wait for Ron to get back and see what transpired ... sure wish Graham was online though ... and an American copter wd sure be nice. like, right now, but I still worry about the animals 'cause you can't really just leave 'em there.

David K - 11-19-2010 at 08:20 PM

Great point... too bad we don't know the nature of the emergency or if the signal stopped being transmitted because he no longer needs help??? I hope to see the normal I am okay message again...

Graham - 11-19-2010 at 08:22 PM

Hi--This is Bonni, not Graham. He is not aware of the problem with Mike yet--as David said he is stuck in Mulege. (Two bearings were being replaced in our tranny today.) Graham gave a program at La Jungla the other day and maybe someone knows where he is and can notify him of the situation. (Anyone living near Tom and Patti Higginbotham??)

I think the SPOT only allows 2 generic messages, OK and otherwise. I tried calling Mike at 4 this afternoon and he has no cell coverage. I called his daughter Tammy right away as she was out so had to go home to get his messages. She called me back and said a fellow who was on Mike's personal response list is on his way, though she did not know where exactly he was coming from.

You folks are great for all your concern and effort. If I hear anything I'll post again. Thoughts and prayers for Mike tonight!

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by Graham]

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by Graham]

BajaRat - 11-19-2010 at 08:25 PM

Hello...as much as I am inspired by BajaGringo's gung-ho save Don-Kay spirit, we need to remember that he is in San Quintin...and we have made contact to people within quading distance who are aware of the situation and know where his last location was, according to the SPOT transmission. I have confidence in the San Carlos community to conduct the search and evac if necessary.
Lionel

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 08:40 PM

ok. I called the Taylors in Mulege and they will contact the Higginbothams now and let Graham know what is going on.

Here in La Bocana, the pangueros travel up and down the coast all night long guarding the coastline. If they do this up north as well, then for sure they know the coast like the palm of their hands and can hike up to see what is going on .... I am guessing the police can radio them. Question is, do they have GPS?

SoloSports - 11-19-2010 at 08:41 PM

I've received a couple of phone calls regarding Mike and Don-Kay needing assistance.

I have emailed my camp in Punta San Carlos but have not heard back yet. I may not hear anything until morning. I told my camp host to ask the local fisherman for help. Mike did meet some of the local San Carlos fisherman on his way through.

For their remote location I can only recommend trying Celia Diaz with BEMCC (Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee)

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/bemcc/bemcc.htm

619-425-5080

Good Luck and I will do whatever I can. Thanks, Kevin Trejo

BajaBlanca - 11-19-2010 at 08:50 PM

Kevin - thanks for posting and welcome to BajaNomads. One day in the future, al of us wil lhave satellite phones and contact will not be an issue.

@ Lionel - this was the BEST thing (calling San Carlos) you could have done and I was about to do it myself !!

BajaRat - 11-19-2010 at 08:56 PM

Thanks Kevin for posting, sorry for welcoming you to Baja Nomads under these conditions, especially to a true Baja explorer. I'm sure everyone is relieved you and your local folks are on the case. Keep us posted and can't wait to visit next fall with the Fam.
Lionel

Search and rescue...

BajaCactus - 11-19-2010 at 09:00 PM

I can assemble and send a search and rescue party from BajaCactus as soon as there is daylight tomorrow Saturday 20th, 2010.

Please let me know if this is needed to coordinate my staff and friends as soon as possible.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

BajaRat - 11-19-2010 at 09:09 PM

Thanks BB.
Lencho, these are hard core Baja souls who truck water in all the way from El Rosario. Senor, the Mule and Pero are in good hands. Lets expect good news in the morning. Thanks Kevin, Aquamen, Aquawomen, and the San Carlos Community.
This IS Baja in action.
Lionel

Antonio

John M - 11-19-2010 at 09:17 PM

No doubt you've seen BajaGringo's post that at 6:10 p.m. he was "out the door" apparently heading south from San Quintin toward perhaps Puerto Santa Catarina - then once at the coast he'd have to go on foot to the north. At least that is what I gathered from his messages.

Just FYI

John M

Mulegena - 11-19-2010 at 09:29 PM

John M, to clarify BajaGringo's point of action, his last post tonight speaking to the Nomad community:

"I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it... "

BAJACAT - 11-19-2010 at 09:31 PM

wow I hope they are Ok... Thanks to all the people involve Nomads and No Nomads....

DianaT - 11-19-2010 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
John M, to clarify BajaGringo's point of action, his last post tonight speaking to the Nomad community:

"I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it... "

And since he has met Mike and friends, I am sure BajaGringo has that sense of personal connection and will really go for it! Contacting the Mexican authorities seems appropriate as they know who to contact and the territory. Thinking positive thoughts for Mike and friends.

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by DianaT]

shari - 11-19-2010 at 09:38 PM

When someone goes missing in these parts, the first people notified are the proteccion civil...who are people who LIVE in the area...also as Blanca mentioned, the vigilancia in the area are extremely knowledgeable about the area along the coast...even where there are no roads, they have trails they make and take daily and know every little arroyo as they patrol night and day in trucks and pangas...they know more about accessing the area than the military who arent from the area....antonio would know who to contact...glad to know everyone is on it and hope for the best...good luck to everyone.

Graham - 11-19-2010 at 09:54 PM

Patti Higginbotham just relayed this message to me in Mulege. As Bonni said I had a transmission problem and have been waiting here to get it repaired... work completed and was about to assess it on journey back north tomorrow.

As mentioned above, Mike's SPOT device has two levels of assistance required. One is the simple need assistance and the other is the more urgent SOS. Sounds like he just needs some kind of assistance rather than being in an immediate life threatening situation. I believe he can activate the SOS signal at any time. The good news is he hasn't done that.

I'll check in to get the latest tomorrow before I leave Mulege. Thanks for all those in a better position to get to his location and find out what the problem is.

SoloSports - 11-19-2010 at 10:19 PM

I spoke with my camp host (Neil) in San Carlos and he is waiting until morning to ask the local fisherman for assistance. We have set up most of the local Punta San Carlos fisherman with GPS so it should be no problem to send a boat out and hike up to the coordinates. I've instructed Neil (who also met Mike and Don-Kay when they passed through) to wait for my commands in the morning on what to do so any new information will be be greatly appreciated from the Nomad's. Also Neil is monitoring the posts here on the Nomad site.

Skipjack Joe - 11-19-2010 at 10:21 PM

As I look at the map and his location it's clear that he's in a position where he can't go forward. The path along the shoreline was to rough for him and his mule. So he headed inland to get on the mesa. But now he's close to the base of the mesa and realizes that the walls are too steep to ascend.

It seems to me that he is in more of a situation of having to turn back to San Carlos than possibly in any immediate danger. Perhaps he doesn't have the provisions to go that far back.

From the looks of things the last 2-3 days have been hell for him and the route along the coast was undoable. So he turned inland hoping to continue his journey south along the mesa.

So perhaps he's not hurt or had an accident. Just got himself into a very difficult situation.

All this is conjecture based upon where he is, how he got there, and where he intended to go.

Personally I think it's more of a call for help out of fear and exhaustion. Maybe a bit of panic.

SoloSports - 11-19-2010 at 10:30 PM

Of course I'm new to the site and there may very well be a good reason for the times of posts being well ahead of our local time. Just trying to figure out some of the timing of information here.

Anyway I think with the help of Antonio M and Neil from SoloSports camp in Punta San Carlos we'll be able to head out and find Mike and Don-Kay first thing in the morning.

Antonio if you want to head to the fish camp in Punta San Carlos and organize with the fisherman I think that would be the smartest thing to do. Neil will go to the fish camp after hearing from me in the morning.

I've read a couple different GPS coordinates here on the posts so can someone please give me the last coordinates received from Mike's SPOT please.

Thanks you, Kevin Trejo/Solosports

David K - 11-19-2010 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SoloSports
Of course I'm new to the site and there may very well be a good reason for the times of posts being well ahead of our local time. Just trying to figure out some of the timing of information here.

Anyway I think with the help of Antonio M and Neil from SoloSports camp in Punta San Carlos we'll be able to head out and find Mike and Don-Kay first thing in the morning.

Antonio if you want to head to the fish camp in Punta San Carlos and organize with the fisherman I think that would be the smartest thing to do. Neil will go to the fish camp after hearing from me in the morning.

I've read a couple different GPS coordinates here on the posts so can someone please give me the last coordinates received from Mike's SPOT please.

Thanks you, Kevin Trejo/Solosports

Hi Kevin,

Nothing new as of 9:45 pm tonight... the GPS assistance needed message was:

Younghusbands spot

The location was plotted on Google Earth and then onto the 2003 Baja Almanac map, and I posted them at the start of this thread.

BajaNomad - 11-19-2010 at 11:03 PM

Quote:
Not sure what time you need it to be on, but I've now adjusted your account to be on Pacific Standard Time (PST; -8.00 hours) instead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT; which is the default if you don't change it).

Doug

(edit to correct from daylight to standard pdt to pst)

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by BajaNomad]

Skipjack Joe - 11-19-2010 at 11:24 PM

Gotta give Mike a lot of credit for attempting that route.

Cojones grandes.

Bob H - 11-20-2010 at 12:34 AM

Wow, I am praying!

Barbareno - 11-20-2010 at 06:46 AM

What time does it start getting light out?

Sunrise

bajaguy - 11-20-2010 at 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

Today for San Diego it's about 6:22AM

http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by bajaguy]

solosancarlos - 11-20-2010 at 07:21 AM

it's been light here for 30 minutes

Diver - 11-20-2010 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
I just spoke with the local San Quintin police and after telling them the story they asked me to head over with all the info. They said they will try and help us coordinate with folks from El Rosario to put together a group to reach Mike.

Will get back with more info when I have it...

Thinking Ron headed south, hopefully with help, or we'd have heard back from him already.

SoloSports - 11-20-2010 at 07:41 AM

Solosancarlos is my camp host Neil in Punta San Carlos
Neil is organizing a panga to go and find Mike, Don-Kay and if I have my facts correct his dog Solo.

The only other option is to call Celia Diaz with BEMCC (Binational Emergency Medical Care Committee)

http://www.mexfish.com/apgs/bemcc/bemcc.htm

619-425-5080

I do know Celia was able to organize a Navy helicopter to rescue a couple big wave surfers from Isla Sa Jeronimo last year.

Good luck to all and Neil is a very capable person as well as all of the fisherman in Punta San Carlos! Good Luck!

woody with a view - 11-20-2010 at 07:44 AM

swell situation in SD (same at San Carlos) is about chest high funkyness with the rainstorm sitting right offshore.

Graham - 11-20-2010 at 07:59 AM

When I hiked this coast I also had to go inland to cross the big mesa. Awkward, difficult terrain. It was tough on foot with a backpack, climbing up and down on coyote trails. There is a good reason there's no road here. It will be even tougher for Mike with the loaded burro.

I suspect he's stuck and running low on water. He will certainly need WATER and lots of it for him, the burro and dog. Two or three gallons a day. This was always going to be one of his hardest stretches... maybe the hardest. With water he can figure out a route. The burro could have fallen and crushed his water containers.

Anyway, it would be great if a panga could get to him, find out how he is and bring water. And if he's OK, maybe carry some of his gear to Puerto Catarina if he's able to carry on. Then he'll have a road to guide him most of the rest of the way down the coasts.

I'm driving north from Mulege today. Will check in at San Ignacio on the internet later.

David K - 11-20-2010 at 08:10 AM

Just got online and there is no new emails from Mike's SPOT device.

SoloSports (Kevin) and solosancarlos (Neil), thank you for your help... Kevin, when I saw your email you had already figured out how to get on Nomad... good job!

lencho, the decimal degree GPS is from Mike's email alert. The decimal minutes GPS is what I read off Google Earth when I put my mouse on his location... so being 20' off is probably correct. He is next to the main arroyo midway between the beach and the mesa top, so he should be 'easy' to find. Unfortunately, this is about the only part of his trip not along on close to a road.

It is a rainy day here in Oceanside, so I will likely be close to the computer and provide whatever I can on this end.

Again, thank you everyone for your assistance to Mike!

Santiago - 11-20-2010 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Originally posted by Barbareno

Sunrise

:lol:

shari - 11-20-2010 at 08:19 AM

I think perhaps it is a burro related problema as well and/or water issue. When I saw the photos of the burro taking an unplanned break laying down, it looks as if Don-Kay is weak and as mentioned, the last few days have been even harder on him...maybe he needs a break at a nice resort!!!
Looking forward to the report that they have located and assisted Mike.

DENNIS - 11-20-2010 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
When I saw the photos of the burro taking an unplanned break laying down,

That got my attention as well. Never seen an animal do that under load.
Oh well....no sense starting to guess. Just hope for the best.

ME - 11-20-2010 at 09:16 AM

Solosports and the very competent fishermen at San Carlos = Rescue
I hope all goes well!!!

Facebookers...

Mulegena - 11-20-2010 at 09:22 AM

SoloSports is present there, too.
Stop by and say "Thanks".

SoloSports - 11-20-2010 at 09:36 AM

I think all Baja Nomads need to know about this site/service from BEMCC

https://www.bemcc.org/index.html

Check it our and spread the word. Preparation is the best prevention!

Of course myself, my staff at SoloSports & the wonderful local Mexican people are always ready and able to help out! (over the years 23+ years in Punta San Carlos we have helps save many lives)

Here is our Contact info for SoloSports for all Nomads or others who need help or assistance in the Punta San Carlos area.

SoloSports
Kevin Trejo
949-289-7779
baja@solosports.net
www.solosports.net

Please understand we are a surf & sports adventure camp located in Punta San Carlos and not by any means a search & rescue or medical operation but just like from what I see here on the Nomad site we will absolutely do what we can with what we have!

Enjoy Baja! Kevin Trejo

David K - 11-20-2010 at 09:39 AM

Thanks Kevin... I just checked my email 8:35 am and nothing there from SPOT or BajaGringo.

wilderone - 11-20-2010 at 09:48 AM

I just read about all this-wow. If Mike stays put, I'm sure somebody can help them all out. Like someone said, provide water, take the load and allow him to backtrack out. Re: "I think perhaps it is a burro related problema as well and/or water issue. When I saw the photos of the burro taking an unplanned break laying down." Don-Kay layed down 4 times the day after Punta Baja - Mike thinks he may have eaten some loco weed and didn't feel well, as Graham identified some in the area where we were. Mike told me he wouldn't use the 911 button unless trully life threatening, so hopefully this will just be an unintended added adventure and he can continue on once the situation is under control. Those who are able to get out there and help him are real heroes. Good luck, and my prayers are with you, Mike and rescuers.

wilderone - 11-20-2010 at 09:53 AM

If someone can contact Ralph Schoonmaker at Rcho. Sta Inez, maybe he can help. He has an ATV and is trained in search and rescue and knows people and has various communication devices. I spoke with Ralph last week and he knows about Mike's journey. Graham, if you think Ralph can help, maybe you can contact him (?).

shari - 11-20-2010 at 10:00 AM

well, if Don-Kay layed down 4 times, it sounds like he ate some of the loco weed which gives them colic and they will lay down like that...but ya gotta get em up and walking to work it out of the system....it can kill a horse so I sure hope he didnt eat much and is feeling better today.

cjesme - 11-20-2010 at 10:01 AM

Oh My Gosh, this is terrible!! I hope all turns out ok.!!!!!!!!! Please let us all know when Mike is home safe and/or gets the help he needs!

Bob H - 11-20-2010 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
well, if Don-Kay layed down 4 times, it sounds like he ate some of the loco weed which gives them colic and they will lay down like that...but ya gotta get em up and walking to work it out of the system....it can kill a horse so I sure hope he didnt eat much and is feeling better today.

For all of you, including me, who do not know about locoweed, here is a link for you....

http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/locoweed.html

Bob H

DENNIS - 11-20-2010 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
For all of you, including me, who do not know about locoweed, here is a link for you....

http://www.understanding-horse-nutrition.com/locoweed.html

Bob H

Thanks, Bob. I don't know much about "Locoweed", but I have seen Colic. As Shari mentioned, it requires that the animal stand and walk, even if only in circles.
Perhaps we're jumping to conclusions.

woody with a view - 11-20-2010 at 10:25 AM

i still can't understand why he would try to go upstream? he must have seen a way up and over the mountain? i've seen packs of coyotes "out there" running 6-8 strong. way more than enough to take his DonKay down. it will be interesting to find out what caused him to ask for help. it won't be long now, Mike.

DENNIS - 11-20-2010 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Perhaps we're jumping to conclusions.

Toward that end, here's some info on Colic:

http://www.equusite.com/articles/health/healthColicFacts.sht...

bajalou - 11-20-2010 at 10:34 AM

The Spot message is a pre-programed Email that is sent when the Help button is pushed. It really gives no indication of the problem, only that the sender needs some assistance.

astrobaja - 11-20-2010 at 10:38 AM

Graham with all due respect several gallons a day for only just the donkey is on the low side. Hes not carrying food with him so presumably hes surviving on just dry scrub this time of year which means he needs more water especially sinces hes working hard by carrying a heavy load!!
I would say 10-15 gallons a day for just the donkey! Also 4 years old is just a baby for a donkey if hes not used to hard everyday excercise with a load its like asking a normal person to run the boston marathon! A way to check for dehydration is to pinch up some skin on the neck to see if it springs back quickly, also to push on the gums to see if blood refills quickly or if the gums are pale and dry. All this takes experience to know.
Locoweed poisoning causes neurological damage but as far as we understand it it takes a while to manifest.
My Wifes uncle Harry never went without an experienced guide on his cave explorations, it seems to me he should have at least had a small support team with him! I hope all goes well for him and his little donkey!

bajaguy - 11-20-2010 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
The Spot message is a pre-programed Email that is sent when the Help button is pushed. It really gives no indication of the problem, only that the sender needs some assistance.

SPOT has teamed up with DeLorme to produce a satellite communicator.........

http://blog.delorme.com/2010/01/06/delorme-and-spot-handheld...

HOWEVER.........Mike does not have this unit

David K - 11-20-2010 at 10:54 AM

I have added to the map roads near Mike not already on the map and his previous locations... The map is sometimes easier to visualize the location than are the satellite images...

The road to the coast just north of Santa Catarina Landing (Puerto) is 3.6 miles long and the little cdamp at the end is called 'Punta Blu' (in July, 2007).

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by David K]

SoloSports - 11-20-2010 at 11:08 AM

I know of several teams of motorcycle riders who have not been able to make it from the San Carlos Mesa over to the Caterina mesa. I have also driven the road up to the San Carlos mesa and it's a monster of a road. Not easy with even a baja ready 4X4.

I know Neil is doing his best to get a panga to head over and find Mike but the San Carlos fish camp is mighty small and today is a Mexican holiday. We know how many a hard working fisherman like to take the holidays off to be with family.
I'm hoping to hear back from Neil with good news!

DENNIS - 11-20-2010 at 11:20 AM

Quote:
I know of several teams of motorcycle riders who have not been able to make it from the San Carlos Mesa over to the Caterina mesa.

It would seem, at this point, that motorcycles would be the best and quickest way in to assess the problem.

SAR Resources

bajaguy - 11-20-2010 at 11:21 AM

Let us not forget that the Mexican Navy has a SAR unit in Ensenada and the Ensenada Air Force base has Cessna 182's...a great SAR platform. Also there is a Mexican Army base in San Quintin.....

Just food for thought

[Edited on 11-20-2010 by bajaguy]

Pages:  1    3