BajaNomad

Finding the Mountain Sheep at Tres Virgenes

elfbrewery - 11-29-2010 at 04:36 PM

I understand that resident ranchers at Tres Virgenes will take people on a tour to see the mountain sheep in the region. I would really enjoy seeing this area for many reasons, but the sheep would do. Has anyone been there? How do I arrange for a tour?
Thanks for any help.

shari - 11-29-2010 at 04:38 PM

great question...we look forward to the answer...I've been seeing the signs for a restaurant/accomodations there for years now and always wondered about it.

Bajahowodd - 11-29-2010 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
great question...we look forward to the answer...I've been seeing the signs for a restaurant/accomodations there for years now and always wondered about it.

You read my mind on that point, Shari. I guess we've always been interested in spending time in other great Baja locales, but have always wondered what lies beyond that sign.

vgabndo - 11-29-2010 at 06:46 PM

Ditto:

There is some pretty significant geothermal energy work out there isn't there?

BajaBlanca - 11-29-2010 at 07:00 PM

We went out there years ago ... there was no restaurant .... they do take care of sheep.

Tomorrow we go to santa rosalia and I can try to find out.

Two friends of ours went camping there at the beginning of the year as well, I can ask them what they saw.

mcfez - 11-29-2010 at 07:07 PM

The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck ...in an chapter..writes about these mountain sheep that they went inland to hunt for. One of the local ranchers took them on this hunt. I assumed the area was San Felipe. Just thought I throw that in this conversation. Any sheep in San Felipe area still?

tripledigitken - 11-29-2010 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
Ditto:

There is some pretty significant geothermal energy work out there isn't there?

Every other trip or so I have seen steam venting from their facility. It is on the eastern slope of the second or third Volcan looking north.

I too have said next time we need to take a side trip, maybe next time................

[Edited on 11-30-2010 by tripledigitken]

woody with a view - 11-29-2010 at 08:27 PM

hey mcfez, i think that little excursion was farther south, like mulege?

bajajudy - 11-29-2010 at 08:29 PM

Check with Terry or Gary at San Ignacio Springs, the yurts.
I seem to remember someone at dinner there talking about spending the night out there.

mcfez - 11-29-2010 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Not sure...my book is at the San Felipe house. Anyone...?

Mulegena - 11-29-2010 at 10:23 PM

Anybody have Steinbeck's "Log from the Sea of Cortez" on their Kindle?
Can you quick-read it for McFez, plz?
There's also a copy in the Rock Room at Shari's!!

Joelt - 11-30-2010 at 03:27 AM

It was out of Loreto, I think. Almost positive. Maybe.

Martillo - 11-30-2010 at 05:29 AM

There I believe three of four different kinds of sheep in Baja. Fred Jones of Vagabundos del Mar is an expert in this area and many times is invited to aja for his recommendations. On Carmen Island off Loreto has a large population which has greatly increased. They are now in the process of transporting the overflow to Mechuda south of Agua Verde; their original homeland. They have hunting expeditions out of Juncalito @ $50,000 a pop. Hunters trying to fill out their Grand Slam. There is another population of sheep In the Gigantes mts behind Puerto Escondido. Also in middle of baja across from scorpion bay and southern bahia concepcion. As to San Felipe I think they refer to the mountains adjacent to Huerfanito where is said some of the federales at times out of boredom go into the hills to shoot some game; including sheep. And lastly in the northern Sierras south of Ensenada is another population.

b1 - 11-30-2010 at 06:11 AM

In February of 2008 I met some folks at the Loreto airpoart who had just hunted this area. As I recall, the hunter was from North Carolina. Because the cost of the permit was significant and he wanted to make sure that any ram he shot was of trophy class, he had brought his personal guide from British Columbia who had extensive sheep hunting experience and was well versed in estimating horn size. The guide explained to me where they found the rams vs. the ewes and lambs (at what elevataion band on the mountain) relative to the sea, the type of optics which were necessary, the several days it took to stalk the sheep from when they spotted the sheep, etc. etc.

My understanding is the sheep are Desert Bighorn.

So on the way back north, I decided to drive down the road this thread discusses. I will try to attach some photos of what I saw. According to my travel notes, I drove the road on March 3, 2008. It is baracaded down by the electrical plant and I was told I could not be down there.

b1 - 11-30-2010 at 06:26 AM

Here is what I saw on my little adventure on the road discussed on this thread.

Then on the way back out to the main road I ran into these folks who were just underway to go bring out the next group of sheep hunters.

Hope this helps. b1

Lista - 11-30-2010 at 06:44 AM

Mcfez, I have seen sheep in the mtns between San Felipe and Gonzaga... right along side the road... looked like they were eating rock...
I didn't see any big curls and haven't see any for 3 or so years.

mulegemichael - 11-30-2010 at 07:12 AM

bighorns have been seen on the hillsides right here in mulege...right from hwy 1.

Pescador - 11-30-2010 at 07:38 AM

The hunting ranch is definately for native Bighorn Desert Sheep and is of the same type found in Arizona and parts of New Mexico.
Just up the road from the turnoff to the Tres Virgenes is a two story house on the sharp corner quite aways before you get to San Ignacio coming from Santa Rosalia. I have a friend who knows this rancher very well and has stayed numerous times with him and one of his remote ranches is home to a large herd of Desert Bighorns and they could observe them every morning. The ranchers daughter is now the district attorney for Santa Rosalia and she used to cook for visitors on a wood fire at the ranches.

Desert bighorns above Rcho Coyote - south of Mulege

Pompano - 11-30-2010 at 07:44 AM

Borego (desert bighorn sheep) are frequently seen during the winter months crossing this mountainside above Rcho Coyote.

This photo was taken by a neighbor with a standard camera/lens about 5-6 years ago. He climbed and got this close to the group.

tripledigitken - 11-30-2010 at 07:56 AM

b1,

Nice horns on your hood!!!

Cypress - 11-30-2010 at 08:03 AM

Have tracked bighorns with radio collars. They can be very hard to spot, even if you know where they are, blend in with the rocks and background.

shari - 11-30-2010 at 08:11 AM

borrego Cimarron is a big ticket item in baja...mucho dinero for a tag and trip. It was explained to me by a guide from the San Borja area how some of the elder rancher men had the job of following the heards and they had made water holes for them, the idea being to keep track of where the big males were so when the hunters came they would know where to take them. their locations are documented and photographed and they know in advance which animal will be "offered" to the hunter.

Although I am NOT an advocate for trophy hunting, the way they explained it to me made sense in an economic way and they only sell very very few tags a year. The large sum of money it brings in to their poor ejidos goes a long way to helping the families and ranchers survive.

Unlike bear hunting where hunters want the largest speciman which takes out the strongest bears from the gene pool...cimarrons that are targeted are the great grandfathers who have the biggest horns...and supposedly these old machos are no longer reproducing. The old ranchers find and track the animals to be targeted...the hunters probably dont realize it that they are led to where they are. This may not be the method in other areas but that is the story I was told by a guide.

Interesting how these Biosphere Reserves "protects" the animals so they can sell the tags to kill them for cold cash. The same deal goes for the Pronghorn Antelope in our Reserve here. I was so impressed with the millions of dollars donated by the Ford Foundation to try to save the Berrendos from extinction...until I found out that the plan was to breed em, set em free with radio tags, and then sell permits to trophy hunters...kinda took the delilght out of the program for me....and the hunters certainly will not want the old farts in this species. But geez...berrendo was a popular food source before and is supposed to be THE best meat ever...probably because they eat only flowers!!! If one allows wealthy hunters to bag them...what about allowing the ranchers to serve em up to visitors??? it's all economic developement isnt it??...turtles...pronghorn??? all endangered.

I agree with allowing indigenous people to exercise their rights to traditional food sources...but trophy hunting just rubs me the wrong way personally....although if the taking of a few older animals gets a new school for the kids...well...hmmm...I guess I can find it in my heart to understand their predicament.

b1 - 11-30-2010 at 08:29 AM

tripledigitken, thanks for the nice compliment on the hood horns. I will inform the Basque sheepman here at home (one of my neighbors) who put it on my rig before I drove down to Baja. He got the biggest kick out of putting them on there.

Did you notice the little mule deer buck in the road, the fifth picture down? He was not interested in leaving the pavement that morning.

Shari, you are correct on the "big ticket" issue for the sheep. There were two hunting parties at the airport in Loreto the morning I was there in February 2008 (taking my wife there to fly home) and I talked to both. The price of the tag for the biosphere tag was $50,000. usd. The other party had hunted on a private ranch west of Juncalito and the price of that tag was $35,000 usd. Those are just the prices of the tags/permits.

elfbrewery - 11-30-2010 at 01:06 PM

b1, thanks for all that interesting info and pix. I will ask in Mulege tomorrow if someone does just a tour or camping trip to view the animals and the volcanos, etc. I'm not for trophy hunting either, but I can see someone thinking that if the gene pool survives and expands, it's better than extinction. It takes money...
When will the spotted bay bass become an endangered species (can't find many in Bahia Concepcion anymore)?

David K - 11-30-2010 at 02:43 PM

b1, thanks for the look down the Tres Virgenes Geothermal road... Twice now we drove by saying we wondered what was it like in there... Sign says 'hotel' and restaurant symbol... but you were chased out?

David K - 11-30-2010 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

I have the actual book, not on a 'Kindel'...

On pages 159-166 the borrego hunt is discussed... and they are going into the mountains west of Puerto Escondido... which is south of Loreto.

SFLowTide - 11-30-2010 at 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
The Log from the Sea of Cortez by John Steinbeck ...in an chapter..writes about these mountain sheep that they went inland to hunt for. One of the local ranchers took them on this hunt. I assumed the area was San Felipe. Just thought I throw that in this conversation. Any sheep in San Felipe area still?

I have personally seen a HUGE ram in the middle of the road between Coco's and HWY 1 a few years ago. We were traveling northbound around the blind mountain curves and POW! There he was. What a giant. His shoulder stood above the hood of our Suburban. By the time I grabbed the camera from the dash and jumped out, he was down the ravine and halfway up the other mountain. I swear it only took him only three jumps. I’m just lucky that my dad and a friend were with me, or nobody would have believed me…

Cypress - 11-30-2010 at 02:55 PM

elfbrewery, They're not the only species that's hard to find in the Bahia Conception/Mulge area.

b1, The wind has turned white in Idaho.

mcfez - 11-30-2010 at 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:

On pages 159-166 the borrego hunt is discussed... and they are going into the mountains west of Puerto Escondido... which is south of Loreto.

"up on a trail" where they are crawling on their hands and knees to get to a certain plateau...... Is that it DavidK ? Gods...my memory is waste!

Borregos closer to San Felipe...

David K - 11-30-2010 at 03:00 PM

100 miles south of San Felipe and 12 miles west of Gonzaga Bay, near Mision Santa Maria... May, 2007:

David K - 11-30-2010 at 03:09 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

"up on a trail" where they are crawling on their hands and knees to get to a certain plateau...... Is that it DavidK ? Gods...my memory is waste!

:light:

On pages 161-162:

"We came at last to a trail of broken stone and rubble so steep that the mules could not carry us any more. We dismounted and crawled on all fours, and we don't know how the mules got up. After a short climb we emerged on a level place in a deep cleft in the granite mountains. In this cleft a tiny stream of water fell hundreds of feet from pool to pool. There were palm trees and wild grapevines and large ferns, and the water was cool and sweet..."

:cool: :bounce:

mtgoat666 - 11-30-2010 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
...but trophy hunting just rubs me the wrong way personally....although if the taking of a few older animals gets a new school for the kids...well...hmmm...I guess I can find it in my heart to understand their predicament.

i guess i like trophy hunting more when i think of it as a method to tax the rich :lol::lol:

David K - 11-30-2010 at 04:28 PM

Yah, those rich people are so bad... hiring us at their businesses and homes to allow us to provide for our families... shame on them!

(Poor people have never hired me to work for them, how about you? The more rich people there are the more money for the rest of us)

mtgoat666 - 11-30-2010 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Yah, those rich people are so bad... hiring us at their businesses and homes to allow us to provide for our families... shame on them!

(Poor people have never hired me to work for them, how about you? The more rich people there are the more money for the rest of us)

twas meant to be a funny comment, dk. don't get your panties in a bunch.

but I do think that if people want to participate in barbaric trophy hunts, I hope they pay a lot and the money goes to good causes to counter-balannce the evil of the killing for "sport"

David K - 11-30-2010 at 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

twas meant to be a funny comment, dk. don't get your panties in a bunch.

but I do think that if people want to participate in barbaric trophy hunts, I hope they pay a lot and the money goes to good causes to counter-balannce the evil of the killing for "sport"

I agree... killing should be limited to self defense and eating.

mcfez - 11-30-2010 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On pages 161-162:

"We came at last to a trail of broken stone and rubble so steep that the mules could not carry us any more. We dismounted and crawled on all fours, and we don't know how the mules got up. After a short climb we emerged on a level place in a deep cleft in the granite mountains. In this cleft a tiny stream of water fell hundreds of feet from pool to pool. There were palm trees and wild grapevines and large ferns, and the water was cool and sweet..."

That's it!!! What a incredible story of crawling around on some ol dusty hot trail! What imagination that brings to one's mind.

DavidK.....you think you could i.d. that trail? I'd be the first one getting up there.

Oh....thanks David for the research. Any secret beach hot spots? :o

hunting bighorn tres virgines

BajaBlanca - 11-30-2010 at 07:33 PM

the sheep hunting price tag is up to $55,000 is what I was told today. They average 7 American hunters a year :o:o

pics of hunting @ 3 virgenes

CONTACT ALFREDO AVINA VARAJAS cell 615 106-8998

[Edited on 12-1-2010 by BajaBlanca]

mcfez - 11-30-2010 at 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
the sheep hunting price tag is up to $55,000 is what I was told today. They average 7 American hunters a year :o:o

For that price.....my Mother in Law is an old goat....anyone....anyone....$20,000?

b1 - 11-30-2010 at 09:11 PM

Hi David K, sorry for the delay in answering your question about being "chased out" of the Tres Virgenes Geothermal Road. I did not take the side road up to the "Restaurant and Hotel". I went down the main road which did have a metal swing barrier but it was open and there were folks working on the road so I never thought much of it (hoping to see if the road would take me to the sea). Went on down well past the electrical plant and was merrily on my way still on the paved road when one of the plant workers in a white service pickup caught up to me and let me know I could not be down there. I was not supposed to go beyond/through the metal swing gate barrier (like are on the forrest service roads here in the northwest). The worker was polite but firm.

And yes Cypress, how I know the winds of Idaho have now turned white. However, reality dictates that I can't visit my friends -the banana trees of Baja- until February. thanks, b1

Good Read, Nomads

Mulegena - 11-30-2010 at 10:12 PM

This has turned into a really interesting Thread.

No idea about the hunting situation in Baja. I thought a Biosphere Reserve was just that, a reservation of safety for the flora and fauna... but $ is $ and there seems to be a supply of it, so there ya' go.

I really enjoyed the photos of the sheep; some of David's have a petroglyph, almost sepia-tone quality about them. Beautiful.

BornFisher - 11-30-2010 at 10:46 PM

Thanks b1 for that great post and those pics. And those damn gates on BLM land here in the Cal desert......................... well don`t get me started!!

Sallysouth - 11-30-2010 at 11:19 PM

The Bighorn Sheep hunting in Baja is very regulated.The Rams they take are the old Males, no longer able to breed.From what i have been told by my son-in-law, this strengthens the herd.And yes, there is big money tickets for this hunt.I ,personally do not agree with the killing of these animals,as my thinking is that nature should do the work instead.However, man has been hunting and killing from the beginning of what we know....I am kind of hesitant to post this and it is by no means a marketing thing but maybe a bit of info...go to El Fuerte Outfitters.com

David K - 12-1-2010 at 12:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

On pages 161-162:

That's it!!! What a incredible story of crawling around on some ol dusty hot trail! What imagination that brings to one's mind.

DavidK.....you think you could i.d. that trail? I'd be the first one getting up there.

Oh....thanks David for the research. Any secret beach hot spots? :o

Here is the canyon directly west of Puerto Escondido...

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2010 at 09:32 AM

the guide at tres virgenes said he takes groups on a 2.5 hour walk thru a flat canyon that leads to some volcanic steam geysers .... This guy especially was very friendly and willing to walk around and show me all their plans He said he is knowledgeable on all the flora and fauna of the area. He did give me a pamphlet which says that the whole package deal will eventually cost $300. They do intend to get horses in the future, which will be a fantastic way to see those geysers.

b1 - your pics are beautiful !! what a lucky break that you were able to go down that road and take great photos!!

David K - 12-1-2010 at 11:22 AM

Just like Yellowstone, the Tres Virgenes system is a giant caldera and could blow!:o

elfbrewery - 12-1-2010 at 01:34 PM

Baja Blanca -- is that US$ or pesos for the tour? How do we find the guide? I'm sure I could get several others to go with me, if the price is right.
Thanks for the info!

elfbrewery - 12-1-2010 at 01:38 PM

David K - You're talking about the Seven Sacred Pools! I visited them in Feb. '93 and was able to recreate that walk about 4 years ago after I had seen the photos in "Oasis in Stone." It's a great place to see.

sanquintinsince73 - 12-1-2010 at 01:43 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca

For that price.....my Mother in Law is an old goat....anyone....anyone....$20,000?

Just pour some anti-freeze in her corn flakes.

sanquintinsince73 - 12-1-2010 at 01:45 PM

Quote:

Trickle down economics.......a word the current POTUS should learn.

David K - 12-1-2010 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery
David K - You're talking about the Seven Sacred Pools! I visited them in Feb. '93 and was able to recreate that walk about 4 years ago after I had seen the photos in "Oasis in Stone." It's a great place to see.

Thanks for that... Is that canyon also known as 'Tabor'?

elfbrewery - 12-1-2010 at 02:35 PM

David K- well, according to Miguel Angel de la Cueva (page 48, "Oasis of Stone) it is called Tabor. I just found my notes from '93 and I stand corrected, it is the 5 Sacred Pools. The trail starts just south of Juncalito by the first power pylon. The deep pool at the top is popular for diving from the shelf above. It takes nerve to do the dive, but takes agility to even reach the platform. The pool closer to the road is easier to access and makes a nice picnic spot. We saw frogs, horned lizards and blue tail lizards along the way. I can provide details as to how to find it, if you haven't been there yet.
There is another trail a few kms south of there that we called the Red Wall Canyon. It's south of Puerto Escondido. According to my '93 notes, there was a turnoff heading west just below Km90. It became 4wd into a wash. We turned right and went as far as we could before walking. We came upon one deep pool, a huge old fig tree and palm groves. "The end" is at a right hand bend in the canyon followd by palm grove and "red wall." I have not been able to find this trail again. Maybe someone in the area would have more info. Lemme know if you do!

David K - 12-1-2010 at 03:37 PM

This is great stuff... The Canyons of Baja are a true oasis in stone!

Thanks...

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2010 at 06:58 PM

elfbrewery - the going price right now is quite reasonable, IMO. The rental of one room for 2 people is 500 pesos a night. The tour thru the canyon which is an all day event is 300 per person.

Calling Aflredo is the way to go however, I tried today and couldn't get thru = cell 615 106-8998 and the email he gave is : alfredoborrego36@hotmail.com

I wrote but haven't heard back either. What I can do is have someone radio them perhaps. Anyone really interested in planning a trip, u2u me and I will work on it !

Remember to take all food and WARM sleeping bags.

Mexitron - 12-1-2010 at 07:29 PM

Why anyone would spend 50 grand to kill a beautiful animal like that for sport is beyond me...I mean, can't they fill out their Grand Slam aspirations in other ways? Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hunting, but killing a relatively rare animal like that for sport seems as cowardly as hunting in one of those yellow-bellied game parks.

sheep

msawin - 12-1-2010 at 09:46 PM

Have a friend / customer coming in tomorrow to have his windshield replaced with the sheep hunt quest in his blood. He went last year with Ty Miller near the Tres Virgnes but had no luck. He is going down this next month to hunt with Ty again I think to the west of us here at Purto Esconido in the photos that David K. has shared with us. Wish him the best of luck in the very expensive past time. I'll hear more about it tomorrow...

marty

BajaBlanca - 12-2-2010 at 06:08 PM

Alfredo has contacted me via messenger and I have asked the questions:

1. is there hot water ?
2. are pets allowed in the cabanas ?

still waiting for the answers.

BajaBlanca - 12-3-2010 at 12:28 PM

There is hot water in the cabanas...pets NOT allowed inside the cabins but they can stay outside in a tent so they are near.

Brian L - 12-3-2010 at 03:32 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I love the souvenir they end up with. "pocketful of sheep droppings"

msteve1014 - 12-3-2010 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
I love the souvenir they end up with. "pocketful of sheep droppings"

A lot of expensive sheep hunts end the same way. When you spend that kind of money, you don't shoot the first sheep you see, or any sheep, if you don't like the ones you see. They come back next year.

msteve1014 - 12-3-2010 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Why anyone would spend 50 grand to kill a beautiful animal like that for sport is beyond me...I mean, can't they fill out their Grand Slam aspirations in other ways? Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hunting, but killing a relatively rare animal like that for sport seems as cowardly as hunting in one of those yellow-bellied game parks.

They are only rare because the places they live are rare, and can only support a few animals. Look around, do you anything to eat? any cows? There will be good years and bad years, but the land will only provide for so many animals.

elgatoloco - 12-3-2010 at 06:16 PM

http://www.elfuerte.com/

mtgoat666 - 12-3-2010 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hunting, but killing a relatively rare animal like that for sport seems as...

"sport?"

hunting is not sport. would only be sport if the animal had a gun too. man/gun vs unarmed animal is just hunting. never call hunting a sport, as the so-called "contest" is rigged for man to win.

i wish i could teach deer to shoot rifles! that would even things up!

David K - 12-3-2010 at 06:39 PM

Remember in Crocadile Dundee when he put on the kangaroo skin and shot back at the night hunters?:lol::lol::rolleyes:

DianaT - 12-3-2010 at 06:47 PM

Quote:

"sport?"

hunting is not sport. would only be sport if the animal had a gun too. man/gun vs unarmed animal is just hunting. never call hunting a sport, as the so-called "contest" is rigged for man to win.

Loved Calvin and Hobbs!

Mexitron - 12-3-2010 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-hunting, but killing a relatively rare animal like that for sport seems as...

"sport?"

I don't disagree, but in those folks minds its "sport" when they pick up the trophy from the taxidermist.

Good one Diane!

bajaguy - 12-3-2010 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:

"sport?"

Apparently you have never "hunted" Chukar........it's not sport...........

Sallysouth - 12-4-2010 at 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
http://www.elfuerte.com/
It is now www.elfuerteoutfitters.com.used to be about fishing, not anymore....:no:

Pompano - 12-4-2010 at 07:04 AM

Hah!...Hunting chukars is definetely not a 'sports' category.

Required:

A good dog who knows rattlers are deadly, a light-weight shotgun, the best climbing/hiking boots you can afford, a sense of direction plus a Garmin gps handheld, and an ultra-superior pair of lungs and legs will get you .....barely started. :rolleyes:

Sport? Naw..more like suicide.

Hunting...A sport?

Pompano - 12-4-2010 at 07:08 AM

It is my feeling that hunting is not a sport, inasmuch as a sport is most often perceived as an organized activity performed for the entertainment of the participants and/or onlookers. Hunting is something that goes much deeper than that.

kevin_in_idaho - 3-6-2017 at 06:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Reading that book right now. I think it was around Punta Escondido which I thought was Escondida but I don't think so now.