BajaNomad

Tres Virgines & Borrego Sheep Cabanas

BajaBlanca - 11-30-2010 at 06:32 PM

Tres Virgenes Cabanas

Wonderful sidetrip today to the cabanas. It is still not finished but the cabanas are sleepable: take pillow, heavy blankets and all food/drink.

camping OK. tours are 350
cabana room and use of kitchen (no fridge there) = 500 pesos pp

Hunting available - must have license

hunting pics

David K - 11-30-2010 at 06:38 PM

VERY COOL! Thanks Blanca a bunch!!

BajaBlanca - 11-30-2010 at 06:51 PM

you're welcome ... it was very beautiful there .... a quiet peace that was really nice. Owned by Ejido Bonfil and one day they plan to have horses ... whale watching trips ... eating in Loreto.... the whole shebang included in week of activities for $300 dollars.

shari - 11-30-2010 at 06:51 PM

hey those cabins look neat...great view...no waves crashing up against the rocks...bet it's pretty quiet....thanks so much Blanca for checking this out.

shari - 11-30-2010 at 06:53 PM

Juan's uncle's neice's husband...(you know how that goes) is a member of that ejido and they also have some interesting projects for rustic cabins at a hot spring near there...oh yeah:yes:

tripledigitken - 11-30-2010 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
Tres Virgenes Cabanas

Wonderful sidetrip today to the cabanas. It is still not finished but the cabanas are sleepable: take pillow, heavy blankets and all food/drink.

camping OK. tours are 350
cabana room and use of kitchen (no fridge there) = 500 pesos pp

Hunting available - must have license

hunting pics

Thanks for the research. Talk about it one day and in comes the report the next!!!!

Goes on the Bucket List!

Would love to have that range/oven, by the way.

Ken

tiotomasbcs - 11-30-2010 at 08:10 PM

Sounds a little expensive?? Bring your own blankets?? Can't you just camp out there in the boondocks? I know, support the local economy but it sounds a little Capitalistic by the ejido. Hunting in the Biosphere?? Sounds like they are just sorting things out. Baja Cactus is only $400 p. Wait and see. Tio:O

BajaBlanca - 11-30-2010 at 09:26 PM

they are not quite ready to receive tourists yet so they only have 2 cabins (4 rooms) fully filled with sheets - but they still allow you to stay - and they said anyone is welcome to camp out !!! and they said you could use shower and bathroom ....Didn't ask if they charged for that when you camp, but I guess very little if they do. They were so friendly ... and eventually they may cancel out the hunting completely ...

Next time I go I told them I wd donate some heavy duty blankets to help out the cause.

Ken - I drooled over that oven too.

[Edited on 12-1-2010 by BajaBlanca]

tripledigitken - 11-30-2010 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Sounds a little expensive?? Bring your own blankets?? Can't you just camp out there in the boondocks? I know, support the local economy but it sounds a little Capitalistic by the ejido. Hunting in the Biosphere?? Sounds like they are just sorting things out. Baja Cactus is only $400 p. Wait and see. Tio:O

Capitalism isn't a dirty word or concept to me. More ejidos should find away to generate income and provide access to their land to tourists with an interest to do so.

Comparing Baja Cactus to this property isn't really apples to apples is it?

Ken

BAJACAT - 11-30-2010 at 10:34 PM

OMG, Blanca you do get around. In a good way. thanks for the info...

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2010 at 09:47 AM

I know Baja Cat ... we live here because we LOVE the adventure and the exploring ... and the beach ... and the mountains ... those cabins are very beautiful and the peacefulness (like shari mentioned) is just incredible. Not a sound except the breeze.

Bob H - 12-1-2010 at 10:15 AM

Great trip report with lots of good info. Sounds like this is a pretty "kick back" place to relax and enjoy yoursleves. The scenery out there is just fantastic!

shari - 12-1-2010 at 10:23 AM

Blanca, do the cabins have 2 bedrooms? hot water??

Pompano - 12-1-2010 at 10:36 AM

My compadre, Pier, and I have stayed and hunted there. A nice place for all interested in nature. Lots of quail, doves, etc. We won't talk venison around some folks...:D

BajaBlanca - 12-1-2010 at 10:48 AM

pics Pompano, hunt for some :lol:

Shari - I tried calling Alfredo's cell phone and it is not working. Below is his email (I wrote asking about the hot water). All cabins have 2 rooms but they are separate and one rents one at a time ... if that makes sense...

All they needed in the lodge was a roaring fire since it was so cold yesterday. It is incredibly beautiful. I was impressed.

alfredoborrego36@hotmail.com

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2010 at 12:29 PM

yes to hot water

no to pets staying in the cabins but OK for them to stay outside

here is what a friend who stayed there had to say:

Hi Blanca

Gary and I stayed at the lodge when we went. Anyway the place is beautiful, when we were there we had supper and breakfast cooked for us. I would really like to go back there and do some more hiking in the arroyos.

-------------------------------------------------------

Alfredo (guide) will write back and does speak English ( he says ) - since I speak Spanish, I did not get a chance to hear him speaking it:

alfredoborrego36@hotmail.com

cell 615 106-8998 but I can't get thru to it.

oladulce - 12-5-2010 at 03:07 PM

Thanks for the report Blanca. We often stop for lunch near the entrance road and take in the volcanoes and the quiet . Something mesmerizing about that area and we've always wanted to overnight there . Can you imagine the stars? I'll email and ask if they can accommodate us with our trailer and maybe we'll pull in on our way home next week.

DianaT - 12-5-2010 at 03:42 PM

Quote:

no to pets staying in the cabins

DANG

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2010 at 06:00 PM

Oladulce - where is home ? When you stop for lunch - do you mean you had a picnic or did they cook for you ?

Diana = maybe you all can talk to them about having ONE of the cabins be per-friendly ? I am sure it might happen ....

bryanmckenzie - 12-5-2010 at 06:19 PM

Thanks Blanca. I stopped in there also; in July. I just decided to meander in and introduced myself. The three workers (Juan, Jesus and Ramon) invited me to breakfast. Juan was the cook. And in July they did have a refrigerator. I believe it ran off solar. The car battery on top of the fridge was to charge their radios.

Juan, Ramon & Jesus speak almost no English but we communicated fine. They were most gracious and jovial during my brief visit. They commute from Ejido Bonfil, a bit to the North and stay four nights during work week.

I did manage to learn that they expect to be fully open in Spring of 2011. Also that the road goes up to an electrical generating station. And since this is a volcanic area, if I understood their Spanish correctly, there is a well drilled for geothermal energy production. Yes, I took notes on all this. As you get older, it's the only way to remember things. Here's a few more images.

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2010 at 06:28 PM

I am pretty sure the geothermal plant is up and running .... and yes, they were so gracious as well when we dropped in on them. Even tho' the restaurant is not up and running officially, they do have that awesome stove and oven and they have to eat too .... and as my friend said - they cooked for the both of them. Being that they have to eat too, I guess they make a little extra food and make a little extra cash this way too ?

Gotta tell you tho', we saw no work being done anywhere .... so my guess is that this is the way it will be - rustic - for a while !

bryanmckenzie - 12-5-2010 at 06:32 PM

Actually they didn't charge me anything. I was simply invited as their guest. Neat, huh? Since I"d eaten already, I simply noshed and had coffee.

Quote:
Even tho' the restaurant is not up and running officially, they do have that awesome stove and oven and they have to eat too .... I guess they make a little extra food and make a little extra cash this way too?

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2010 at 06:56 PM

yup...that's Baja hospitality at its best !

David K - 12-5-2010 at 07:06 PM

Great post... just hard to view with them going off to the right! But thanks!

BajaBlanca - 12-5-2010 at 07:12 PM

hmmm the pics Bryan put up are perfect on our screen. For the record, on another post, I finally figured out how to post a single photo. I am feeling so accomplished since it only took me months :lol::yes::lol:

bajalou - 12-5-2010 at 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs

Capitalism isn't a dirty word or concept to me. More ejidos should find away to generate income and provide access to their land to tourists with an interest to do so.

Comparing Baja Cactus to this property isn't really apples to apples is it?

Ken

This is why they are given the use of the land - to use it to support themselves.

bryanmckenzie - 12-7-2010 at 03:34 PM

Ooooommmph. Nuts. I'm working so hard on that David. As promised. They fit for my 17" laptop. I actually don't look at the pixel width. I downsize all my hi-res images to less-than 17" screen width at 1024x768 resolution using MS Photo Editor and some other programs. Pan-wide shots get even more difficult to large image size overall. So I've tried the ol' 90-degree rotate.

Now I'm thinking I'll do a two-step. Smaller-yet image embedded and add a link to the hi-res shots that are worthy of a bigger look. I guess I guess I'm just too anxious to share good quality stuff with the community. Apologies to all.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Great post... just hard to view with them going off to the right! But thanks!

David K - 12-7-2010 at 04:44 PM

Maybe Santa Claus will drop a 17" monitor down my chimney, then I will have it made! :lol:

tripledigitken - 12-7-2010 at 04:47 PM

Bryan,

In another post the width issue was discussed. 800 width seemed to be the compromise, picture quality vs. max width for the most viewers.

Thanks for the information and pics, we will definitely stay there for a night or two. We look over at that valley and wonder every trip down!

Ken

(this image is 800 px wide)

Bajahowodd - 12-7-2010 at 05:04 PM

Having often thought about driving up there, but chickening out, a thought that comes to mind based upon the pix of Blanca and Bryan is that over the many decades that I've traveled throughout Mexico, I have always been awestruck at how these people can make comfortable conditions out of almost nothing. Just so civilized in the wilderness.

bryanmckenzie - 12-7-2010 at 05:57 PM

That is so true, Bajahowodd . Note that the pictures and location are just 3 Km off Mex 1. Not all the way out towards the volcanoes.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajahowoddI have always been awestruck at how these people can make comfortable conditions out of almost nothing. Just so civilized in the wilderness.

[Edited on 2010-12-8 by bryanmckenzie]

bryanmckenzie - 12-7-2010 at 06:02 PM

Thanks, Tripledigitken. I'm going to have to adjust my editing style, I guess. And start paying attension to dimensions, as well as size - a primary challenge with old legacy software that is actually quite good, but sometimes has a quirky limitation. Hence, my need for multiple programs.

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Bryan,

In another post the width issue was discussed. 800 width seemed to be the compromise, picture quality vs. max width for the most viewers.

[Edited on 2010-12-8 by bryanmckenzie]

tiotomasbcs - 12-7-2010 at 07:20 PM

La Tierra es para quien lo trabaja---Emiliano Zapata. I have never liked the idea of privatizacion of ejido lands and question the .. uses other than farming. Our ejido here has turned into a Real Estate company--Los Cerritos Beach ! I wish them luck but there are many dangers.