BajaNomad

5TH ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY NOMAD TRAIL RIDE 2011

Pages:  1  2

BajaWarrior - 2-7-2011 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
What time would you be available to meet Lou and I @ EDR?

I am now traveling Thursday at noonish so I'll be in camp about dark so first thing Friday a.m. would be ok by me.

bajalou - 2-7-2011 at 06:42 PM

Roadrunner Cafe on Hghy5 by San Felipe Storage - 830a - 9a?

BAJACAT - 2-7-2011 at 09:54 PM

I really appreciated all you San Felipe Nomads help, for making this happen.
I couldn't done it by my self, thanks guys..can wait to see you guys there...
We should hame more than one ride a year. Maybe a MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND NOMAD RIDE...

BajaRob - 2-8-2011 at 04:34 AM

8:30 works for me. Chuck?

BajaWarrior - 2-8-2011 at 05:18 AM

Quote:
8:30 works for me. Chuck?

Meet at my place at 8:30 and take the 4Runner to meet Lou at 9:00 at Road Runner Cafe?

OK Chuck

BajaRob - 2-8-2011 at 04:16 PM

I'll be over at 8:00 as it will take 50-55 minutes to get to the Roadrunner from your place.

BajaWarrior - 2-8-2011 at 04:44 PM

Quote:
I'll be over at 8:00 as it will take 50-55 minutes to get to the Roadrunner from your place.

Perfect

bajalou - 2-8-2011 at 05:05 PM

Are you going to have breakfast at the cafe or before? Just so I wnow wether to eat before you get there?

BajaRob - 2-8-2011 at 06:18 PM

Yes on breakfast and I'm buying.

BajaWarrior - 2-8-2011 at 08:35 PM

Alright gang, we're making solid plans for a great activity in less than two weeks from now. This is an easy low impact off the road activity with beautiful desert scenery and magnificent Sea of Cortez views from anywhere we will be. 2WD is okay.

We are hosting a dinner on Saturday night (BYOdinner) at our house 25 miles south of San Felipe. We have plenty of room if your bringing any type of RV and house/kitchen/bathroom privledges are being happily extended. We have three cart propane BBQ's for fish/chicken/beef and two full kitchens.

We have two homes on the same property right on the beach at Playa Hermosa/Bahia Santa Maria and there is still room for guest inside of the at least one of the houses. I assure you will be comfortable and safe so join the fun.

BajaRob, BajaLou and myself BajaWarrior (whoa, that's a lot of Baja) are meeting this Friday morning in san Felipe for a Pre-run and trip meeting so I'll give more details when I'm back on this coming Sunday night. Please contact me if you have any questions...

Chuck

David K - 2-8-2011 at 08:44 PM

Please have at least some place for BajaCat to use his 4WD as he missed going on the Mision Santa Maria trip last May... that he was promoting for so long!

Even if out on Shell Island with the bottomless sand...

I will be there in spirit !!

BajaWarrior - 2-8-2011 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Please have at least some place for BajaCat to use his 4WD as he missed going on the Mision Santa Maria trip last May... that he was promoting for so long!

Even if out on Shell Island with the bottomless sand...

I will be there in spirit !!

Yes, Shell Island and Sulphur Mine tour on Saturday. Both within 4 miles of our home.

Also to consider

BajaRob - 2-9-2011 at 08:46 AM

The 9th annual Paella Festival wil be held at the El Cortez on Saturday and we are putting on a Pancake Breakfast at the South Campos Community Center on Monday.

BajaRob - 2-9-2011 at 04:45 PM

Temp is 80 f with clear skies and20 % humidity. Gotta love winter in Baja.

BajaWarrior - 2-10-2011 at 01:17 PM

Quote:
Temp is 80 f with clear skies and20 % humidity. Gotta love winter in Baja.

Leaving San Diego/Mission Bay right now (12:30), hold that good weather for me! See ya in the a.m. Rob.

Fernando, didn't forget about you, just busy...Call in a work order! LOL

BAJACAT - 2-10-2011 at 08:45 PM

can wait for the details, keep us informed Chuck...
route wise, start point, direction and the culmination of the trip eating tacos @ SF..
oh yea...

David K - 2-10-2011 at 11:41 PM

Lou (or ?), can you make a proposed route map from Bahia Santa Maria to Quartz Mountain to Diablo Canyon, etc. (or what ever you guys come uop with)?

For us Nomads who can't be there... so we can 'see' your trip while you are on it!

BajaRob - 2-11-2011 at 08:28 AM

Out the door to hook up with Chuck and Lou to Pre-Run the course to Diablo Canyon. Details to follow.

David K - 2-11-2011 at 09:14 AM

Cool... and keep those weather reports coming in... sounds great!

On my last Prez Day/ Matomi group trip (2004)... it was nice and sunny in the day, but ice cold at night!

bajalou - 2-11-2011 at 09:53 PM

Well, Nomads, this is where we went today. Starting at Highway 5 at Roadrunner Cafe, and me ending at my house.

Chuck will post details of the run later, but we think you'll enjoy it.

Total distance round trip is about 70 miles.

[Edited on 2-12-2011 by bajalou]

Great job Lou

BajaRob - 2-12-2011 at 04:03 PM

Thanks for posting.

David K - 2-12-2011 at 04:57 PM

The photo that Desert Rat posted of himself (in Amo Pescar's thread on Nomad's face photos) is at Diablo Canyon where you plan on going...

BajaRob - 2-13-2011 at 07:38 AM

I saw that. We will see it up close in a week.

BAJACAT - 2-13-2011 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou
Well, Nomads, this is where we went today. Starting at Highway 5 at Roadrunner Cafe, and me ending at my house.

Chuck will post details of the run later, but we think you'll enjoy it.

Total distance round trip is about 70 miles.

[Edited on 2-12-2011 by bajalou]
Thanks Lou...one more week, I can taste the shrimp and the Margaritas cadillac already oh yea I love Baja and my wife doesn't understant why... go figure...hahaha

[Edited on 2-14-2011 by BAJACAT]

TMW - 2-13-2011 at 08:14 PM

Bajawarrior I'm good on a place to stay. I'm staying at El Comadante Loco's place south of SF at KM42/43 or somewhere around there, I know it when I see it. My plans are to leave here on Friday morning for San Felipe.

BAJACAT - 2-13-2011 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Bajawarrior I'm good on a place to stay. I'm staying at El Comadante Loco's place south of SF at KM42/43 or somewhere around there, I know it when I see it. My plans are to leave here on Friday morning for San Felipe.
Tw maybe I will see you in the way in..

BajaWarrior - 2-13-2011 at 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Sounds good. Anyone else? C-ya at the Road Runner Cafe on Sunday morning TW

David K - 2-14-2011 at 08:57 AM

Looking to be another epic President's Day Weekend in Baja!

I looked on the SCORE web site last night, and still no map for the San Felipe 250... It is in the middle of March, but a few years ago it used to be the weekend after President's Day and we had to watch for pre-runners as some of the roads we were on for the Matomi run was also race course.

bajalou - 2-14-2011 at 09:03 AM

I understand they will mark the Score San Felipe 250 course on the 21st and then post it. Open for pre-running on the 24th. Or so the rumor goes. They won't be interfering with our ride.

TMW - 2-14-2011 at 10:11 AM

From SCORE's press release:

["Fish also announced that the final course will be a combination of parts of both the 2009 and the 2010 routes, offering racers “the best of baja” once again. The course is expected to be finalized within the next week."]

In the same release or maybe another they said the course would be CCW as it was in 08,09 and 10. I also heard it would go up to San Matias pass before turning south and running near the west side of Diablo Dry Lake. It will turn early in Matomi and not get on the pavement. It looks to me like a very similar course to 08 and 09 which you can find at
http://www.rhlcomm.com and click the upper right under race history.

[Edited on 2-14-2011 by TW]

BajaWarrior - 2-14-2011 at 04:27 PM

This is one of the roads we used to get to Diablo Canyon this past Friday for the pre-run with myself, BajaRob, and BajaLou.

Easy road, no bush pinstriping (darn) and no problems whatsoever. Nothing but fun and the beautiful desert to enjoy.

We were in the desert maybe 6 hours. The sun was shining and the breeze very warm for February.

Join the fun.

[Edited on 2-14-2011 by BajaWarrior]

bajalou - 2-14-2011 at 04:33 PM

That's where we're going alright, BajaWarrior.

David K - 2-14-2011 at 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
From SCORE's press release:

["Fish also announced that the final course will be a combination of parts of both the 2009 and the 2010 routes, offering racers “the best of baja” once again. The course is expected to be finalized within the next week."]

In the same release or maybe another they said the course would be CCW as it was in 08,09 and 10. I also heard it would go up to San Matias pass before turning south and running near the west side of Diablo Dry Lake. It will turn early in Matomi and not get on the pavement. It looks to me like a very similar course to 08 and 09 which you can find at
http://www.rhlcomm.com and click the upper right under race history.

[Edited on 2-14-2011 by TW]

2010:

2009:

2008:

[Edited on 2-15-2011 by David K]

BAJACAT - 2-14-2011 at 10:10 PM

How is the weather looking for this weekend in SF.. no rain...

Hook - 2-15-2011 at 04:25 PM

20% chance of rain Friday night. High Saturday, 65 with light winds. High Sunday 61 with moderate winds of 15-20 mph. Lows around 50.

BajaWarrior - 2-15-2011 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
How is the weather looking for this weekend in SF.. no rain...

Jose,

We will be arriving in town by 5 p.m. Friday and meeting my friend Fernando at the arches at that time give or take ten minutes if you want to meet up for a quick dinner.

Let me know, then straight to the Beach House after dinner.

BAJACAT - 2-15-2011 at 10:10 PM

Ok Chuck,lets see what developes, I hope this weather that is coming doesn't affect our plans...
60 % chance of showers/wind for Saturday
30% chance of rain,scattered showers/wind for Sunday

[Edited on 2-16-2011 by BAJACAT]

Hook - 2-16-2011 at 06:32 AM

Figure on some wind and more high clouds than you would want, that will probably keep the daytime highs in long sleeve T-shirt mode.

Is the Sunday route suitable for a stock, Jeep Unlimited? I might drive over from the other side of the Pond. Would need a place to crash but have a cot, sleeping bag, etc.

[Edited on 2-16-2011 by Hook]

El Comadante Loco - 2-16-2011 at 08:21 AM

Hi Hook
You are welcome to crash at my place, there is plenty of room for your cot.
We are located at Campo San Antonio K43. At about 200 yards past the K43 marker turn left at the blue handicap parking sign below it is a white painted tire "R U Lost" go up the slope turn right and you are there, 1rst house on the left just ask for El Comandante Loco. Jeep no problem for this ride.
For the rest of the Nomads are we still on for Shell Beach and the Sulfur mine?? David K I hope you can make it....

Hook - 2-16-2011 at 02:59 PM

Thanks for the offer but in the interim, I have learned that a good friend of mine will be at his south campos digs that weekend. So I am covered and dont have to even bring a cot.

What is the timing of the sulphur mine/Shell Island run in relation to the Paella Festival? I'd sure like to do both.

David K - 2-16-2011 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by El Comadante Loco
Hi Hook
You are welcome to crash at my place, there is plenty of room for your cot.
We are located at Campo San Antonio K43. At about 200 yards past the K43 marker turn left at the blue handicap parking sign below it is a white painted tire "R U Lost" go up the slope turn right and you are there, 1rst house on the left just ask for El Comandante Loco. Jeep no problem for this ride.
For the rest of the Nomads are we still on for Shell Beach and the Sulfur mine?? David K I hope you can make it....

Thanks amigo!

You guys have a great time for me... It statred raining here last night and today it remains wet... So, no new work on the scope until this wet ends... I did have two nice jobs the past few days, thank God! We are planning on Shell Island for Memorial Day weekend... and I will sure will need a 'Baja Fix' by then!!!:cool:

BajaWarrior - 2-16-2011 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Thanks for the offer but in the interim, I have learned that a good friend of mine will be at his south campos digs that weekend. So I am covered and dont have to even bring a cot.

What is the timing of the sulphur mine/Shell Island run in relation to the Paella Festival? I'd sure like to do both.

In an answer to your earlier question regarding your vehicle you will have no problem. I drove my '95 4Runnner out there with BajaRob and we never put it in 4WD however we were aired down to 15 p.s.i.

As far as the two Saturday activities go, I'd say the first one will be 9'ish and the second one after lunch.

Since you have a buddy in the South Campos you will be staying with perhaps he has a VHF radio setup at his home as many of us do and you can call me if you like, just ask for Chuck Cherry on our hailing channel which is 69.

We need to be at the Road Runner Cafe Sunday morning no later than 9:00 a.m. to meet BajaLou and his gang. The RR cafe is one half mile south of the Giant Rockodile sign which is 10 miles north of San Felipe. You can get with El Commodante Loco or myself and my group if you want to convoy up there.

Also, we are having a dinner on Saturday night at my house in Playa Hermosa or possibly at BajaRob's place nearby if it gets too windy for our patio area.

BajaWarrior - 2-16-2011 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Figure on some wind and more high clouds than you would want, that will probably keep the daytime highs in long sleeve T-shirt mode.

Is the Sunday route suitable for a stock, Jeep Unlimited? I might drive over from the other side of the Pond. Would need a place to crash but have a cot, sleeping bag, etc.

[Edited on 2-16-2011 by Hook]

ECL, give me a shout on the radio if you want some of the Shell Island/Sulphur Mine action and please join us for dinner on Saturday night if you wish, all friends included. Bring your own grub, we have multiple grills, full kitchen, etc...

BW

Hook - 2-16-2011 at 06:06 PM

Chuck, I've got a modded 2 meter radio in the Jeep. I'll hail you when I get in town. But I think I know where you live. You're south of my buddy. He's along that area that fills and empties out. You're only about a 5 minute walk. We'll definitely be there Saturday night and will do at least one of the Saturday rides. I plan on hitting the campos Friday afternoon. Bringing some high end Sonoran beef if anyone is interested.

Do you remember me? I went to the Padres game that Doug organized. My buddy was also there.

BajaWarrior - 2-16-2011 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Chuck, I've got a modded 2 meter radio in the Jeep. I'll hail you when I get in town. But I think I know where you live. You're south of my buddy. He's along that area that fills and empties out. You're only about a 5 minute walk. We'll definitely be there Saturday night and will do at least one of the Saturday rides. I plan on hitting the campos Friday afternoon. Bringing some high end Sonoran beef if anyone is interested.

Do you remember me? I went to the Padres game that Doug organized. My buddy was also there.

Sure I remember you! Eric and Valerie are your friends names. We've done the U2U thing but haven't met up at the beach yet.

There are a couple of locals homes towards the desert just away from the beach and I am adjacent to those homes so if I had to count the amount of homes where they start after the break of Eric's camp then I would say right at 50 homes. My casa # is 24 and here is a photo of the house from slightly south but on the Bahia Santa Maria road at the KM. 31 marker.

It is the two story, we have a house on both the front and back lot.

[Edited on 2-17-2011 by BajaWarrior]

Hook - 2-16-2011 at 10:47 PM

OK, got it. But if all else fails, keep that radio on, monitor 69 and talk me in.

EDIT: HOPEFULLY, THE SOLAR STORM WILL ALLOW US TO USE 69.:lol:

[Edited on 2-17-2011 by Hook]

BajaRob - 2-17-2011 at 04:52 PM

Pre-sunrise campfire and coffee at my place on Sunday. The sunrise on the beach is spectacular and definately worth getting up for. All are welcome. Lote 13, Campo San Carlos

BajaWarrior - 2-17-2011 at 05:24 PM

Quote:
Pre-sunrise campfire and coffee at my place on Sunday. The sunrise on the beach is spectacular and definately worth getting up for. All are welcome. Lote 13, Campo San Carlos

We're leaving at noon Rob and will be in camp around 6 p.m. so we'll see ya sometime Saturday a.m.

windguru.com says some wind this weekend but too strong, not good for high tides...

El Comadante Loco - 2-17-2011 at 05:28 PM

I hope to join up with all of you but not sure about shell beach and the high tide may be to muddy. What do you think?? What time will for shell beach ?? Sulfur mine???

Rudy

BajaRob - 2-17-2011 at 05:34 PM

If you make it here for sunrise campfire I will make you a Mexican Coffee.

BajaWarrior - 2-17-2011 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
I hope to join up with all of you but not sure about shell beach and the high tide may be to muddy. What do you think?? What time will for shell beach ?? Sulfur mine???

I'm thinking about 9 a.m. for either one then the other after lunch.

Yes, it'll be muddy but it's low tide at 8 a.m. if you have a vehicle that is capable and don't mind getting it muddy...

I have hoses and pretty good water pressure at my place. Air too.

We're bbq'ing chicken on Saturday between drives then dinner on Saturday night at my place or possibly Rob's.

Get me on Ch. 69 if you like, we'll be in by 7 p.m. Friday.

Chuck Cherry

David K - 2-17-2011 at 08:29 PM

Quote:

You guys will be calling it Shell ISLAND when you see the water surrounding it with the 20 foot + high tides for three days in a row!

The trick (if you dare) is to use the original road in that goes at an angle SE to the fishermen shack... NOT the once elevated road with the concrete bridge at the end.

At low tide the water will be deepest in the tracks of the road... the track is firmer and thus slightly lower than the surrounding flats, so water stays in the road track longer.

If you keep your tires in the track of the road to the fishemen shack, you should be fine (in 4WD low range).

If you get out of the track, the surrounding mud is like OATMEAL... and you will not want to sink in that!

Please take lots of photos if you dare to drive onto the island! :yes::wow::rolleyes:

BajaWarrior - 2-17-2011 at 08:33 PM

Quote:
OK, got it. But if all else fails, keep that radio on, monitor 69 and talk me in.

EDIT: HOPEFULLY, THE SOLAR STORM WILL ALLOW US TO USE 69.:lol:

[Edited on 2-17-2011 by Hook]

Can't miss it, it's right next to the Moon!

TMW - 2-18-2011 at 11:32 AM

I'm getting a late start today. My wife has been in the hospital since Monday but she is coming home today, I'm leaving soon to pick her up. Our daughter is staying here while I'm in Mexico so I'll see you on Saturday sometime.

BAJACAT - 2-18-2011 at 03:39 PM

Me 2 tw, I had to work, Im leaving SD around 3:00 I will be in SF late....

BAJACAT - 2-18-2011 at 04:23 PM

what a better way to test those tires, DK that doing the SF nomad ride with us...come on I buy you guys lunch...

David K - 2-18-2011 at 05:02 PM

I will be thinking of you all!

Monday is not a holiday for Baja Angel, even if the economy was better... but I did have a couple of good jobs the past few days (thus the new tires)...

Have a blast everyone... take lots of photos... including if anyone is brave enough to drive through the sea water to Shell Island!

Game On

BajaRob - 2-19-2011 at 04:08 PM

Nomads arriving, mixed grill BBQ tonight, Diablo Canyon tomorrow finishing at the Jollymon.

BAJACAT - 2-19-2011 at 09:43 PM

Man what a trip I left San Diego at 4 pm via Tecate , it was raining all the way to the Mex 5 connection.. I arrived at SF at 8:50 pm got my room at El Caribe hotel...next day head over to Chucks house it was windy and scattered showers.finally reach his house and it was decided it was to weet to go to Sheall island so after a short lunch Bajawarrior took us to the sulfur mine,Hook(nomad) borregoman(nomad) and me. we are going to see the rest of the crew tomorrow for the Diablo Run..after the ride I head it to SF to have dinner at Rosita's and the rest had lunch in BajaRobs house.Im ready for tomorrows run..Its great to put faces to the screen names that you see all the time Hook and BorregoMan turn out to be great people...more to come..

[Edited on 2-20-2011 by BAJACAT]

David K - 2-19-2011 at 11:49 PM

Thanks Jose! Keep the reports coming!

bajalou - 2-20-2011 at 08:23 AM

7:15am in San Felipe

Sun shining, sky mostly clear, temperature 50 deg. and I hope rising.

El Picatcho del Diablo is white this morning as well as the mountains to the north.

A couple hours and the group should all be on the road - ¡west to Cañon Diablo!
:bounce:

David K - 2-20-2011 at 08:58 AM

That sounds like a great day Lou... Looking forward to photos and stories!

David K - 2-20-2011 at 10:12 PM

Waiting... waiting... :yes::spingrin::tumble:

bajalou - 2-20-2011 at 10:45 PM

All safely back to San Felipe. Reports will come later.

BAJACAT - 2-21-2011 at 05:47 PM

If somebody wants to star a new trip report thread and we all can add to the same thread that will be better.And belive me, this trip is going to go on the memorable ones list,just a teasser the Mexican Army was involve in this in a good way...thanks all that where there, we got back to SF @ 7:50PM..but the original plan was for us to be back around 3 or 4 a clock..
So this was a day trip that turn into a night ride and it was great, 14 vehicles lighting up the desert its a totally different experince...more to come...
I got back to SD today Monday @ 1:00 pm with a 20 minute wait @ TECATE border crossing.

this one is from 3 years ago

[Edited on 2-22-2011 by BAJACAT]

[Edited on 2-22-2011 by BAJACAT]

Bob H - 2-21-2011 at 07:11 PM

Jose, thanks for the updates and photos. Man, I bet you all had a blast. Looking forward to even more images! Did Hook bring his cabover camper? It is amazing what he can do in the rig!
Bob H

Hook - 2-21-2011 at 09:29 PM

No, thats my grey Jeep with the hard top in the 3rd photo.

I sold the Lance. Looking for a newer one.

Pages:  1  2