BajaNomad

CREDIT CARD FRAUD

bajajazz - 1-15-2011 at 10:05 AM

Returning to BCS on a recent trip north, we used a credit card to pay for two nights of lodging at the Lazy 8 Motel in Tucson ("Tucson's Cleanest Budget Motel" -- not) and the Mulege Hotel in, of course, Mulege.

One of these two establishments used our card information to make whopping purchases (of furniture, we think) and maxxed out our card, a fact we discovered when it came time to use it again. Our bank immediately removed the fraudulent charges but we're still waiting for a new card to be reissued and delivered to us here in La Paz. If it's sent by US/Mexican postal service it will be stolen and maxxed out again, if our past experience is any guide.

Just a word to the wise when traveling by highway and using motels . . .

Brian L - 1-15-2011 at 10:08 AM

How do you know it was from one of those? Were the purchases delivered there? Were those the only places you used your card in the recent past?

When you accuse someone, you should put as many facts as possible.

durrelllrobert - 1-15-2011 at 11:46 AM

Someone in the UK or Finland got my Citibank Visa number and maxed it out in mid-Dec. Of course they cancelled my card and sent a new one along with a declaration of unathorized charges form to sign (via snail mail) and return(via snail mail) , but so far they have not removed any of the $7K + fradulant charges, foreign transaction fees or interest so that I can use it. As you can see these included a bunch of hotel rooms in Finland, airline tickets to Duba, India and other unknown places + 2 Macafee charges in Canada. Yikes!!
Trans
Date Post
Date Description Charged To Amount
12/12 12/12 EM AIR 762138824377-DUBAI GB Standard Purch 1,572.06

12/12 12/12 MCAFEE.COM 866-622-3911 CA Standard Purch 19.99

12/12 12/12 AIR-INDIA 607WWW.AIRINDIA.GB GB ,1,154.74 POUND STERLING GB Standard Purch 1,828.28

12/12 12/12 MYVACATIONS.CO.UK ILFORD GB GB ,1,560.17 POUND STERLING GB Standard Purch 2,470.19

12/15 12/15 MCAFEE.COM 866-622-3911 CA Standard Purch 19.99

12/15 12/15 Omenahotelli Vaasa FI FI ,65.00 EURO FI Standard Purch 86.78

12/15 12/15 Omenahotelli Vaasa FI FI ,98.00 EURO FI Standard Purch 130.84

12/16 12/16 Omenahotelli Vaasa FI Standard Purch 129.89

12/16 12/16 Omenahotelli Vaasa FI Standard Purch 145.80

12/16 12/16 Omenahotelli Vaasa FI Standard Purch 172.31

12/17 12/17 Omenahotelli Vaasa FI Standard Purch 156.40

Subtotal of Activity $6,869.35

12/16 12/16 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE*INTEREST CHARGE Standard Purch 3.89

12/16 12/16 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE*INTEREST CHARGE Standard Purch 4.37

12/16 12/16 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE*INTEREST CHARGE Standard Purch 5.16

12/17 12/17 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE*INTEREST CHARGE Standard Purch 4.69

01/11 01/11 PURCHASES*INTEREST CHARGE*PERIODIC RATE Standard Purch 122.41

01/11 01/11 FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE*INTEREST CHARGE Standard Purch 182.62

$331.88
Interest Charge Summary

Nominal
APR Periodic
INTEREST
CHARGE Transaction Fee/
INTEREST
CHARGE

PURCHASES
Standard Purch 19.990% $122.41 $182.62
CASH ADVANCES
Standard Adv 21.990% $0.00 $0.00

Total INTEREST CHARGE = $305.03

Trans
Date Post
Date Description Amount

01/11 01/11 OVER CREDIT LIMIT FEE 39.00

DENNIS - 1-15-2011 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajazz
One of these two establishments used our card information to make whopping purchases (of furniture, we think) and maxxed out our card, a fact we discovered when it came time to use it again.

It wouldn't have to be someone associated with the two Motels. There are other devious ways to get your info.

Although you didn't, this is what bothers me about using a Debit Card while traveling. It's much more difficult to have the charges dismissed.
Maybe reserve the Debit Card for the ATMs and use a credit card elsewhere.

Bob H - 1-15-2011 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
One of these two establishments used our card information to make whopping purchases (of furniture, we think) and maxxed out our card, a fact we discovered when it came time to use it again.

It wouldn't have to be someone associated with the two Motels. There are other devious ways to get your info.

Although you didn't, this is what bothers me about using a Debit Card while traveling. It's much more difficult to have the charges dismissed.

Excellent advice!!!

longlegsinlapaz - 1-15-2011 at 12:27 PM

Bajajazz, I'm sorry this happened, but it sounds like your bank had absolved you of any responsibility. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've had credit & debit cards sent to me in La Paz for the past 11 years without any problems. Have it sent in a non-bank envelope, slightly padded with several sheets of paper to help disguise the fact it's a credit card & DON'T ACTIVATE IT until you get it in your hot little hands. If you've had bad luck doing that, there's always DHL.

I know several people in La Paz who get new debit & credit cards through Mexican mail & activate it once they get it.

[Edited on 1-15-2011 by longlegsinlapaz]

wessongroup - 1-15-2011 at 12:41 PM

Sorry to hear your bad luck, and hope your able to get it straightened out... to your satisfaction and benefit

BajaBlanca - 1-15-2011 at 01:33 PM

:fire::fire::fire:

mulegejim - 1-15-2011 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I believe it was indicated a credit card was used- your advice is good, however, about the difference between a debit and credit card. I have stayed many times at the Hotel Mulege and paid with a credit card with no problem - doubt that is where the problem was. A very well respected local family owns and runs that motel. Jim

Bajahowodd - 1-15-2011 at 03:16 PM

While it is certainly a royal pain to have to wait for a new card, the good news is that federal laws limits card issuers to charging a maximum of $50 in this situation. And the reality is that most banks don't even assess the $50.

Credit card theft is a worldwide problem. Noting that bajajazz mentioned two hotels, I was wondering about other recent use of the card. Card info is often stolen when people make internet purchases on an unsecured site, or are using an unsecured wifi connection.

With respect to the hotel experience, did anyone take your card away from your line of sight? I always feel just a little bit better when my card is swiped right in front of me at the counter, a receipt is handed to me along with the card.

DENNIS - 1-15-2011 at 03:32 PM

Something else just came to mind. [that's twice in one day. I'm on a roll] A debit card used for purchases doesn't require a pin number if it has a VISA logo. It acts like a credit card...signature etc.

bajajazz - 1-16-2011 at 10:33 AM

We used cash to pay for all our travel expenses and are therefore rather certain the theft occurred in either Tucson or Mulege. We generally use our card for automatic bill-paying deductions, only. Based on comments above testifying to the honesty of the family that owns the Mulege Hotel, we would now bet the fraud originated in Tucson. The only good thing we can say about the Lazy 8 Motel in Tucson is that the steakhouse restaurant next door is terrific, giving us the best meal we had on the whole trip to Albuquerque and back.

As expected, the new card issued by our bank six weeks ago has gone astray in the Mexican mail, and so far we have spent 25 dollars in "free" calls to our bank, as the portion of the "free" call that travels on Carlos Slim's landlines in Mexico is charged at the regular ripoff rate, a fact we just discovered.

We have found that the only safe way to send a credit card or anything else of value to La Paz is by registered mail (expensive) or by DHL (also expensive).

wilderone - 1-16-2011 at 10:40 AM

"this is what bothers me about using a Debit Card while traveling. It's much more difficult to have the charges dismissed"

Fraud is fraud. Your bank is supposed to investigate the incident in every case, which should prove the facts.

I have more than one credit card - they all have $0 balances, but if I have to use one in emergencies I can. Your Macy's card, Toy R Us card - you can use them for anything you know. I got an Expedia credit card while I was booking my flight for Hawaii. They offered $100 credit, which paid for one of my inter-island flights. Such a deal, and travel insurance too. If you don't use credit cards they will cancel them after some time. Many years ago I played the "no interest for year if you switch debit balances" game (which is essentially putting your balance on a new credit card). It was fantastic. I don't find those deals in my mailbox like I used to. Anyway, you can play the game to your advantage, and you have to stay on top of techno security and know who you're dealing with. If retailers don't take precautions and keep up, move on to someone who does or pay cash. The US economy is the real loser - and that's all of us.

DENNIS - 1-16-2011 at 10:45 AM

Quote:

As expected, the new card issued by our bank six weeks ago has gone astray in the Mexican mail, and so far we have spent 25 dollars in "free" calls to our bank, as the portion of the "free" call that travels on Carlos Slim's landlines in Mexico is charged at the regular ripoff rate, a fact we just discovered.

Mexican Mail Service? I won't ask.

25 dollars is 15 months worth of Magic Jack.

wessongroup - 1-16-2011 at 10:47 AM

Quote:
Something else just came to mind. [that's twice in one day. I'm on a roll] A debit card used for purchases doesn't require a pin number if it has a VISA logo. It acts like a credit card...signature etc.

:lol::lol:

toneart - 1-16-2011 at 12:33 PM

Quote:

Just to complete your observation, Dennis: It can be used as a debit card or a credit card if it has the VISA logo. People need to know that it is their option as to how to use the card. You have to request that it be used as a credit card. It just takes slightly longer for it to come out of your bank account, whereas a debit is instant.

If you use it as a credit card, do you get the same guaranteed fraud protection as you do with a regular credit card? I think you do, but I am not sure.

goldhuntress - 1-16-2011 at 12:47 PM

This has a FAQ section I skimmed over, may help answer a few questions about liability. http://usa.visa.com/personal/cards/debit/index.html

bajalera - 1-16-2011 at 09:28 PM

What a bummer, Ray--hope you get things straightened out soon.

credit cards

C-Urchin - 1-17-2011 at 02:21 AM

Quote:
Returning to BCS on a recent trip north, we used a credit card to pay for two nights of lodging at the Lazy 8 Motel in Tucson ("Tucson's Cleanest Budget Motel" -- not) and the Mulege Hotel in, of course, Mulege.

One of these two establishments used our card information to make whopping purchases (of furniture, we think) and maxxed out our card, a fact we discovered when it came time to use it again. Our bank immediately removed the fraudulent charges but we're still waiting for a new card to be reissued and delivered to us here in La Paz. If it's sent by US/Mexican postal service it will be stolen and maxxed out again, if our past experience is any guide.

Just a word to the wise when traveling by highway and using motels . . .

American Express or cash.

Jamaica and Visa

C-Urchin - 1-17-2011 at 02:32 AM

A couple pf years ago I was in Jamaica for a few days of scuba diving. I like to pay with Amex or cash. That's the way I operate. The dive shop asked me to hold a credit card for deposit since I was paying cash for the day trip. I gave them a Visa since they did not accept Amex (always suspicious...)

After I came home there were thousands of dollars of charges in Japan on that card. Japan. Jamaica, I never used it. Not even once. It was in the cash drawer of the dive shop for the whole day, it did not leave my wallet at any other time.

No problem man!...

I'll never go there again. Mofos. Thieves. Bad diving anyway. Nothing works there. Too much mota. They hate white people. Bad food.

Don't get me started... Get Amex.

goldhuntress - 1-17-2011 at 08:19 AM

I am a cash/Amex person also, but unfortunately a lot of places don't except it because the cost is much more to merchants that visa/mastercharge. I have a Visa for back up.

Bajatripper - 1-17-2011 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by C-Urchin
I'll never go there again. Mofos. Thieves. Bad diving anyway. Nothing works there. Too much mota. They hate white people. Bad food.

Never been to Jamaica, but I've always had problems with folks that paint things with such a broad brush. Hope this is just the sting of what happened talking and you don't really feel that way about ALL things Jamaican. It reminds me of what some say about Mexico, and we all know that isn't true.

DENNIS - 1-17-2011 at 08:31 AM

Well-placed disgust can be very therapeutic at times. Paid for Catharsis, so to speak.

karenintx - 1-17-2011 at 11:32 AM

Credit Card Fraud...can happen any where at any time. The solution is how your bank/credit card company handles the charges.

Personally we only use Capital One c/c when we travel international. As far as I know they are the only c/c that does not charge an international transaction fee. Yes, American Express does charge 3%...if you don't believe me then give them a call. We refuse to pay any kind of interest to a c/c company...that is the reason why we never carry a balance.

We live in CSL 8-9 months a year so we have two back-up c/c "just in case" something happens and it did last May. While eating our breakfast one morning our Vonage line rang. It was Capital One c/c calling to ask if we were trying to buy something for $1,500 USD in Bogota, Columbia. The card was canceled immediately which put us in an awkward situation...use our back-up c/c that charges an international transaction fee or start using pesos. Pesos won...again refuse to pay any kind of interest on a c/c. We determined that when we had made our trip to Ecuador & The Galapagos Island the previous month that is where our card info was "read/swiped".

Since we had a "NOB" trip planned we chose not to have Capital One send our new cards to us in CSL. We returned to our other home in Texas a few days later where our new Capital One c/c were waiting for us. We also have back-up ATM cards...from two different banks.

My husband is a retired airline Captain that flew international flights. Over the years we have had more than one c/c canceled due to fraudulent charges. I look at all of our banking/credit card accounts daily to monitor activity and actually noticed a charge of over $400 USD once while the hubby was flying. When I asked him if he had bought me something while he was on his trip (something he did regularly) he answered "no". We called Capital One immediately. Charges were backed out and they thanked us for being so prompt. Figured his card was "read" at a deli shop in Quito while on his trip.

It happens everywhere...the world has changed.

credit card fees

C-Urchin - 1-17-2011 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by karenintx
We refuse to pay any kind of interest to a c/c company...that is the reason why we never carry a balance.

I am with you. The "banksters" are not getting it from me either :P

DENNIS - 1-17-2011 at 12:05 PM

This just keeps getting worse. The whole credit card system needs to be redesigned with safety measures. I don't know how they would do it, but something has to be done.

Bajahowodd - 1-17-2011 at 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

Never been to Jamaica, but I've always had problems with folks that paint things with such a broad brush. Hope this is just the sting of what happened talking and you don't really feel that way about ALL things Jamaican. It reminds me of what some say about Mexico, and we all know that isn't true.

Although C-Urchin's remarks do appear a bit harsh, there is a basis in reality there. I've been to Jamaica a couple of times. There's an amazing physical beauty to the island.

That said, dating back to at least 1980, when there was a great deal of political turmoil what with a very active Communist faction, it has continued to have a serious problem with crime. Fact is, that outside of the France-based Club Med, Jamaica is basically the birthplace of the all-inclusive resort. It was born out of the need to keep tourists visiting, while insulating them from the general population. Sandals and their brethren became fenced fortresses, with all-inclusive being the draw.

I recall years ago being in San Juan. While they were not all-inclusives, a number of the hotels had very high fences between their properties and the beach. They locked the gate at night.

durrelllrobert - 1-17-2011 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

Fraud is fraud. Your bank is supposed to investigate the incident in every case, which should prove the facts.

YES, But when? It's been more than 30 days since I reported the fraud on mine (see previous post) and because everything has to be in writing and sent via snail mail both ways, I still can not use my card that was maxed out :fire::fire:

durrelllrobert - 1-17-2011 at 01:46 PM

Quote:

that's the good news. the bad news is that no pin # required makes it easier for someone else to use :!::!:

DENNIS - 1-17-2011 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
that's the good news. the bad news is that no pin # required makes it easier for someone else to use :!::!:

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Scarey stuff.

turtleandtoad - 1-17-2011 at 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
Quote:

Although C-Urchin's remarks do appear a bit harsh, there is a basis in reality there. I've been to Jamaica a couple of times. There's an amazing physical beauty to the island.

That said, dating back to at least 1980, when there was a great deal of political turmoil what with a very active Communist faction, it has continued to have a serious problem with crime. Fact is, that outside of the France-based Club Med, Jamaica is basically the birthplace of the all-inclusive resort. It was born out of the need to keep tourists visiting, while insulating them from the general population. Sandals and their brethren became fenced fortresses, with all-inclusive being the draw.

I recall years ago being in San Juan. While they were not all-inclusives, a number of the hotels had very high fences between their properties and the beach. They locked the gate at night.

If what you say is true for the whole of Jamacia, then things have changed a whole lot. I was in Ocho Rios before there was anything there except a bauxite mine and pier (where Dr No was filmed), a hotel, and a small fishing village. The people everywhere except the hotel were extremely friendly. The hotel wouldn't let us in the gate unless we were staying there.