BajaNomad

Turquesa Mine Road Video

TMW - 2-28-2011 at 08:48 AM

I found these videos on YouTube. The first one ends at the bottom of the hill leading down into the wash. That hill is the one the Squarcircle had to make several attempts at before getting up in his SUV. The second video picks up where the first left off and ends at the pools east of the mine. The video is pretty shakey at times indicating the roughness of the trail.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5pfH3SQR1k&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-m6rdWv2do&feature=relat...

David K - 2-28-2011 at 09:05 AM

Good find TW!

Cool to see the old mine road all the way to the bottom... I hiked down to about minute 1:50 in the video, so it is neat to see the rest of the road.

I will watch the other part later...

Here are the photos of when we drove to the top (and walked down a ways): http://vivabaja.com/207 that inspired The Squarecircle to get his Land Rover all the way through (with help from you and others)!

[Edited on 2-28-2011 by David K]

David K - 2-28-2011 at 09:13 AM

Here is the thread that contains the photos of Roy's Land Rover climbing the Turquesa Grade... they are a few pages into the thread...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30726

Barry A. - 2-28-2011 at 11:09 AM

Outstanding video, TW!!!

I especially liked the part where the MC was just in front of you------gave us a good idea of the instant decisions being made as you tear along, and the condition of the 2-track.

----and David K. thanks for the link back to the 2008 thread---I reviewed it in it's entirety (again) and was vicariously super-thrilled (again).

Well done!!!!

Barry

tunaeater - 2-28-2011 at 05:47 PM

Hi Guys
I have some facts of the video for everyone. The videographer is 19 year old Dist 38 standout and Baja racer Cameron Corfman. This was done on a DP Racing fun ride in Jan 2010.
Also seen in the video are Craig Smith, David Wilson and Jimmy Lopez.

4x4abc - 2-28-2011 at 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
that inspired The Squarecircle to get his Land Rover all the way through (with help from you and others)!

David,

is there a link or a report of this LR trip?

Ken Cooke - 2-28-2011 at 10:41 PM

In 2008, Baja Grande tried to locate this trail, but we all found dead ends on our way from La Turquesa to Hwy 1. One day, we'll try again...

David K - 2-28-2011 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Quote:
that inspired The Squarecircle to get his Land Rover all the way through (with help from you and others)!

David,

is there a link or a report of this LR trip?

Other than the one I posted above???

In Feb. (Prez Day weekend) of 2007, I took the road from Hwy. 1 to the top of the La Turquesa Grade for some phots and a first hand look. I had read about it in Kacey Smith's Baja GPS Guidebook "All About Your Whereabouts" where she calls it the "XR Ride" and made it sound like a single track down (or up) a cliff.

I was surprised to see what I would call a Jeep Trail or abandoned mine road... a bulldozed grade down the mountain... but with only motorcycle tracks on it.

Not sure if I could get through to Hwy 5 (between Gonzaga and Coco's Corner) or even turn around if there was a washout, out-of-sight... I walked about half way down... and decided I better have a second vehicle along.

The Squarecircle (Roy) checked out the bottom end by the turquoise mine soon after, and Ken Cooke and some of his Jeep gang tried to push through the following summer...

Roy returned again and with help from TW and other friends made way to the bottom of the grade... and then drove his LR3 to the top and on to Hwy. 1! See the photos in the link above.

TMW - 3-1-2011 at 10:08 AM

I think Ken and his Jeep friends should try it again this year.

There are at least three bad spots that take some work to get by. One is an S curve with big boulders to get around and another is a sand trap with boulders to get over. The last really bad spot is the hill at the end of the wash. The motorcycles have a worn path to use that's solid. The east side is a lot of loose rocks and if you start sliding that way you take a chance of rolling over. The Squarecircle's Land Rover did not have locking differentials and when he attemped to climb up the hill a wheel would come off the ground and spin, either front or rear. He did have a traction control system that applied a brake to the spinning wheel if it's turned on but then you loose momemtum and have to back down. The large cactus at the bottom prevented a fast run up the hill to carry speed. With lockers the hill would not be a problem provided the loose rocks are stable. Now it's been a couple of years since we were there and the rains could have added many more rocks especially to the road coming down from hwy 1. Roy said there were a lot of rocks when he was coming up after getting out of the wash.

Who knows there may be an easier path there now.

Ken Cooke - 3-1-2011 at 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I think Ken and his Jeep friends should try it again this year.

There are at least three bad spots that take some work to get by. One is an S curve with big boulders to get around and another is a sand trap with boulders to get over. The last really bad spot is the hill at the end of the wash. The motorcycles have a worn path to use that's solid. The east side is a lot of loose rocks and if you start sliding that way you take a chance of rolling over. The Squarecircle's Land Rover did not have locking differentials and when he attemped to climb up the hill a wheel would come off the ground and spin, either front or rear. He did have a traction control system that applied a brake to the spinning wheel if it's turned on but then you loose momemtum and have to back down. The large cactus at the bottom prevented a fast run up the hill to carry speed. With lockers the hill would not be a problem provided the loose rocks are stable. Now it's been a couple of years since we were there and the rains could have added many more rocks especially to the road coming down from hwy 1. Roy said there were a lot of rocks when he was coming up after getting out of the wash.

Who knows there may be an easier path there now.

I'll see what the group wants to do, and if we can get through to Hwy 5. Probably not with the description given. We will be there the last week of April...

David K - 3-1-2011 at 10:27 PM

If Roy can do it in a Land Rover... well gee wiz Ken, what would stop an American Icon like a Jeep?!!!:spingrin:

Barry A. - 3-1-2011 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
If Roy can do it in a Land Rover... well gee wiz Ken, what would stop an American Icon like a Jeep?!!!:spingrin:

------a Land Rover with no Locker, no less. Surely a "jeep", especially a Rubicon, can compete here with some help------ :P

------for instance an X-Terra can lead, and throw back a tow line for the Jeep!!!!!!

Barry

David K - 3-1-2011 at 11:47 PM

Ooooo Barry... You are going to drive Ken crazy!

The LR3 does have some kind of traction control instead of lockers... as Roy was able to climb the Widowmaker without much difficulty in 2007...

wessongroup - 3-2-2011 at 06:45 AM

Thanks to all for the photo's... man, some of those look to be pretty darn hard ones... fun, but hard...

Simple stuff..

Ken Cooke - 3-2-2011 at 06:59 AM

Anytime...I don't think this would be too difficult.

From the pages of Kacey Smith's book, it doesn't look like a 4 wheeled vehicle can make it through on the trail to Hwy 5, though. But, it does sound like a fun route.

David K - 3-2-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Anytime...I don't think this would be too difficult.

From the pages of Kacey Smith's book, it doesn't look like a 4 wheeled vehicle can make it through on the trail to Hwy 5, though. But, it does sound like a fun route.

Roy already did it Ken... TW, and others were with him helping scout a route from the turquoise mine to the bottom of the grade. Photos in the link above...

TMW - 3-2-2011 at 09:15 AM

Yea Ken do it. I think there might be a Bronco getting ready to try it before long. If you go down the end of April I may be able to join you and help but I'll be helping with pits etc for the NORRA 1000 race the 4th of May. I've got 4 big pry bars hardly used waiting on a Jeep. Roy had rock sliders on the SUV but I don't think they ever were needed, that's how careful we were.

Ken Cooke - 3-2-2011 at 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Yea Ken do it. I think there might be a Bronco getting ready to try it before long. If you go down the end of April I may be able to join you and help but I'll be helping with pits etc for the NORRA 1000 race the 4th of May. I've got 4 big pry bars hardly used waiting on a Jeep. Roy had rock sliders on the SUV but I don't think they ever were needed, that's how careful we were.

Show us where to go, and we're there. The group should enjoy a day of rock-crawling in the bush. I sure enjoy it every chance I can get, and this looks like my kind of trail.

> loop=false menu=false quality=best WIDTH=425 HEIGHT=335 TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.adobe.com/go/getflashplayer>

TMW - 3-2-2011 at 07:47 PM

I think I'll stop by the top section and go down and see what the hill at the wash looks like when I come down next week for the SF250 race. The route Roy took was to the north side of the wash basically all the way. Needs to be walked and marked before trying it just to be on the safe side. With all the rain the past 3 years maybe there is a better route. Plan on a full days work in getting thru. If enough Jeeps get thru maybe we can have a full time route for David K's Tacoma to get thru.

TMW - 3-2-2011 at 07:54 PM

DK if Ken tries the route you and Roy should come down too. I don't think a Tacoma can get thru on the route we took because of the wheelbase but we can help Ken get thru and Roy too if he wants to try it again. Richard has Roy's old 4 Runner and I think it can do it too. Maybe XRPhil can come with his XR600 too. The more the merrier. I'll see if BJ can come.

::Let's Do This::

Ken Cooke - 3-2-2011 at 10:07 PM

This sounds like a fun time! Should we be concerned about rattlers, though??:?:

TMW - 3-3-2011 at 11:00 AM

I'm always concerned about rattlesnakes but I give them their way and they normally don't hang around long with people near by. When Roy drove it we didn't see any snakes either on the walk down the mountain or when we went thru the wash. Make a little noise and they will usually move on and away.

Ken Cooke - 3-3-2011 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm always concerned about rattlesnakes but I give them their way and they normally don't hang around long with people near by. When Roy drove it we didn't see any snakes either on the walk down the mountain or when we went thru the wash. Make a little noise and they will usually move on and away.

Thanks, TW. Scout around and see what you can find. We will be definitely interested in traveling this route from Gonzaga Bay to Hwy 1 and back for a 1 day LA TURQUESA ASSAULT!

racheldarlin - 3-3-2011 at 01:33 PM

"Valle de los Cirios" Protected Area

Barry A. - 3-3-2011 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin

Existing road-----little to no impact, and a chance for humans to see what few would otherwise see. Beautiful!!!!!

Barry

David K - 3-3-2011 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin

We love cirios (boojums) and would never harm one!

I have been known to even hug and kiss a boojum tree!

TMW - 3-3-2011 at 08:09 PM

The Boojum at the bottom of the hill came very close to being wacked when Roy was having trouble getting a run up the hill. But all turned out OK. We love all cactus.

[Edited on 3-4-2011 by TW]

edm1 - 3-20-2011 at 09:03 PM

How narrow is the trail, will my new Baja rig fit through?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=584787&stc=1&d=1300679530

[Edited on 3-21-2011 by edm1]

Ken Cooke - 3-20-2011 at 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by edm1
How narrow is the trail, will my new Baja rig fit through?

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=584787&stc=1&d=1300679530

That thing is G I A N T !! I would not advise it, but Hey, I'm a Jeep guy on a Toyota forum!:lol:

edm1 - 3-20-2011 at 10:11 PM

Ken, it's ONLY 3 feet longer than my 4x4 GMC RV that went through Mision Sta Maria and Shell Island, and it's a bit narrower. It has a foot longer wheelbase, though.

David K - 3-20-2011 at 10:20 PM

Hi Art!!!

Wow, I was wondering where you been!!??

I made a web page of our trip... see link below>>>

edm1 - 3-20-2011 at 11:08 PM

Quote:
Hi Art!!!

Yeah I saw it. Thank you, David.

I've been busy with the build of my new Baja rig, have you seen the picture? I retired the ol' RV. I had to make room for a spa :-)

David K - 3-23-2011 at 11:28 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Art!!!

I've been busy with the build of my new Baja rig, have you seen the picture? I retired the ol' RV. I had to make room for a spa :-)

We are going to Shell Island over Memorial Day weekend (instead on Mision Santa Maria again)... Bring the wife!

Ken Cooke - 3-23-2011 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Art!!!

We are going to Shell Island over Memorial Day weekend (instead on Mision Santa Maria again)... Bring the wife!

Do you think it will be warm by then?? :lol:

David K - 3-23-2011 at 09:07 PM

Not as warm as we like it... water still not bathtub temp. until later in June!

edm1 - 3-29-2011 at 05:17 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hi Art!!!

Hmmm, I'm scheduled for a long 6-week cross-country roadtrip over that period; If plans change or if we get back early, I'm sure to join.

David K - 3-29-2011 at 07:29 AM

10-4... By-the-way, somebody on TacomaWorld forums really took a liking to your van/motorhome! It is in the thread on lowering air pressure for sand (in which I use your van on Shell Island as an example of how anything can 'float' once enough air is removed!): http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off-roading-trails/104202-b...