BajaNomad

The Founding of Rosario Mission

academicanarchist - 8-24-2004 at 08:57 PM

David K. contacted me today with a very simple question, what was the date of the establishment of Rosario mission. The answer to the question i sJuly 24, 1774. I first checked Meigs and Engelhardt, but neither had the answer. I then reviewed my microfilm copy of the Rosario mission registers, and there were notations at the beginning of the marriage and burial registers both indicating that these records began on July 24. When a new mission was started, one of the first things that the missionaries generally did was to start the registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials, an obligation established in the Catholic church by the council of Trent in 1565. The date of the inscription of the registers coincides with the date of the establishment of the mission.

Thanks!!!

BajaCactus - 8-24-2004 at 09:02 PM

Thank you very much for the info AA....

I looked all over the internet for that answer and could not find it.... so I asked DavidK on the MSN and he inmediately told me he knew the guy with the answer...THANKS for such a quick response.

You will soon know why I was looking for that info.

Are you still planning to El Rosario in october?.....I am ready to help you guys with your research....:D

Trip

academicanarchist - 8-25-2004 at 01:22 AM

Dalayed to March.