BajaNomad

Mark Thatcher- Baja Racer

thebajarunner - 8-26-2004 at 09:25 AM

Remember him?
Article in today's LATimes about his arrest in South Africa for trying to overthrow a small African nation.
He raced the 1000 in a pickup in 1979. He looked pretty spooked at impound, he asked a lot of questions to all of us other truck guys that indicated a high level of apprehension.
Our team (I was out of the truck at Punta Prieta) came upon him below Villa Constitucion, sitting alongside the road, looking like he had seen the Devil himself.
They finally made it, but he had no more questions.
Then, when his mother was PM of Great Britain he got lost in the Dakar rally for a week and it was interesting,
anyway, memories are fun, aren't they!

Baja Arriba!!

queries from the Brit...

thebajarunner - 8-26-2004 at 01:31 PM

were just as you thought?

"Explain the Immaculate Conception:
"Can you define the relevancy of e=mc2?"

Nah, seriously his questions were more along the line of "how did I get into this and will I live to see La Paz?"

We always had a standard answer for folks who asked "how bad is the race road to La Paz> circa.... 1972?"

answer (as provided by Marvin Porter, Parnelli's partner)

"I could tell you for 100 years how bad it is, and when you get back your first question will be 'why didn't you tell me how bad it really is?'"

Like I always say, fun memories, great times. tear up the paved road and give us back the dirt...

Baja Arriba!!

bajawander - 8-28-2004 at 09:38 AM

I'll vote for that!

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
tear up the paved road and give us back the dirt...

Baja Arriba!!