BajaNomad

GIANT CRYSTAL CAVES IN MEXICO

AmoPescar - 4-3-2011 at 05:43 PM

Wasn't sure where to post this. It's not about Baja...but is on the mainland of Mexico in Chihuahua.

I'm watching this program right now on National Geographic Channel. This place is unbelievably AMAZING!!!

Here's a link to information about them...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/photogalleri...

If you get a chance to watch the program on Nat Geo, I highly recommend it!

Here’s a picture of the cave. Note how small the cave explorers are compared to the giant crystals!

Miguelamo :wow: :yes: :yes: :yes: :tumble:

BajaRat - 4-3-2011 at 07:51 PM

WOW!

TheColoradoDude - 4-3-2011 at 08:58 PM

Truly amazing indeed. I remember the program saying that eventually, maybe soon, that they will be letting the water back in the cave. Right now I believe there are massive pumps that pump the water out. I thought that maybe they could open it up for tours but the extensive heat and limited time allowed in there seemed to prohibit such venture.

AmoPescar - 4-3-2011 at 09:10 PM

YES...definitely too warm inside for tours. They would have to build expensive glass walled walkways with A/C or something else that kept you cool.

I'd really like to see it in person...I'm sure it would totally blow you away!

And...I do believe they might have let the water back in. The pump complex to keep it dry was quite a marvel too.

Miguelamo :yes: :) :wow:

[Edited on 4-4-2011 by AmoPescar]

fishabductor - 4-4-2011 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by AmoPescar
Wasn't sure where to post this. It's not about Baja...but is on the mainland of Mexico in Chihuahua.

I'm watching this program right now on National Geographic Channel. This place is unbelievably AMAZING!!!

Here's a link to information about them...
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2007/04/photogalleri...

If you get a chance to watch the program on Nat Geo, I highly recommend it!

Here’s a picture of the cave. Note how small the cave explorers are compared to the giant crystals!

Miguelamo :wow: :yes: :yes: :yes: :tumble:

that place is so amazing...I saw the NG special a while back, as well as the NG printed version. I believe they found these caves during a mining operation, in which they broke into a underwater aquafer. The aquafer emptied and left the caves...which now are being eaten by Oxygen, it sounded like the water protected the crystals, and air eats them.

Don't let a crack addict see this, they may try to smoke those rocks.:lol:

AmoPescar - 4-4-2011 at 11:58 AM

Yes...they're truly amazing!! I was in awe the whole time I was watching on NG channel (like that channel a lot!).

I think they did let them fill back up with water....maybe they could offer scuba tours for master divers. I wonder how warm the water would be?

If they offered tours to crackheads...it would be a new way for them to get "toasted"

Miguelamo :wow: :yes: :wow

late again : cave of the crystals

white whale - 7-8-2020 at 10:13 AM

just a recycled news story on Twitter , but new to me. WOW and WOW.
And gets a wiki page....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_of_the_Crystals

this is so outrageous. Superman level. There was one thread here on Cavernous Caves , quite old that could not be added too. And missing photos. Nothing on the Baja side to compete with this. Yet - I assume.

Inaccessible now.

David K - 7-8-2020 at 10:44 AM