BajaNomad

Price run-up in San Felipe area

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 06:54 AM

Today, I was quoted $35/night at Rancho Punta Estrella. I paid less than this for a new Motel room in San Felipe last summer.

Anyone pay less than this in San Felipe recently?

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 07:00 AM

I tried shooting these people an email, but it got bounced back. I hate doing things last minute...:fire:

Bajaboy - 4-9-2011 at 07:13 AM

Ken weren't you the one saying that Baja was a bargain:

Pemex is a bargain...but, then again, so is Baja!

I just received this info from Carol of Discover Baja:
Gas prices are: $2.87 for magna---$3.24 for premium --- $3.00 for diesel.

Prices here in Riverside are hovering around $4.05/gallon Unleaded 87 Octane...:o

Things, they are a changin'

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Ken weren't you the one saying that Baja was a bargain:

Pemex is a bargain...but, then again, so is Baja!

I just received this info from Carol of Discover Baja:
Gas prices are: $2.87 for magna---$3.24 for premium --- $3.00 for diesel.

Prices here in Riverside are hovering around $4.05/gallon Unleaded 87 Octane...:o

Um, $35/night to camp in my tent? I'm going to do what my friend David K does, and stay at Shell Island FOR FREE.

Bwana_John - 4-9-2011 at 08:16 AM

Punta Estrella has been overpriced for years.

wessongroup - 4-9-2011 at 08:21 AM

With ya on this one... "Shell Island FOR FREE".... :):)

Will be looking forward for your pictures....

DENNIS - 4-9-2011 at 08:24 AM

35 bucks per night in a tent? That's a lot of money. Beverly Hills prices, at least. Maybe it's owned by a cartel.

bajalou - 4-9-2011 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Um, $35/night to camp in my tent? I'm going to do what my friend David K does, and stay at Shell Island FOR FREE.

Looks like you might be in luck Ken, the tides are pretty flat when you're coming so you should have pretty good access to Shell Island.

http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/apr.html

motel prices

akshadow - 4-9-2011 at 08:31 AM

The signs are still up at the motels approaching San Felipe ,about 6 miles out, that advertise less than this per night. Over easter prices might rise. The hotels are the Las Palmas, Diamonte, Blue star, and ??

Quote:
Today, I was quoted $35/night at Rancho Punta Estrella. I paid less than this for a new Motel room in San Felipe last summer.

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow
The signs are still up at the motels approaching San Felipe ,about 6 miles out, that advertise less than this per night. Over easter prices might rise. The hotels are the Las Palmas, Diamonte, Blue star, and ??

Quote:

Muchas Gracias! The Mrs. and I stayed at Diamante last summer, and we paid $60 for 2 nights, and we got the 3rd night for free! I cannot pay more to sleep in a tent than to stay at a Motel. That just isn't right.

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalouLooks like you might be in luck Ken, the tides are pretty flat when you're coming so you should have pretty good access to Shell Island.

http://www.sanfelipe.com.mx/weather/apr.html

Yes, the 23rd and 24th will be when we plan on staying there. The tides will be the flattest of the month. What perfect timing! Baja Grande!!

David K - 4-9-2011 at 10:36 AM

Rancho Percebu (Laguna Percebu) near Km. 20 has lots of palapas and is right across from the north tip of Shell Island... if you want to have some services (palapas, bathrooms, food, showers).

Nuevo Mazatlan at Km. 32 has a forest of trees and some services (unheated showers, flush toilet).

Just north of Puertecitos are palapas on the beach... can't think of the name... but a lot of good reports from guests.

ArvadaGeorge - 4-9-2011 at 01:00 PM

This was gone over a couple of years ago see

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=30755#pid3107...

sounds like
SSdd

Ken Cooke - 4-9-2011 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Rancho Percebu (Laguna Percebu) near Km. 20 has lots of palapas and is right across from the north tip of Shell Island... if you want to have some services (palapas, bathrooms, food, showers).

Nuevo Mazatlan at Km. 32 has a forest of trees and some services (unheated showers, flush toilet).

Just north of Puertecitos are palapas on the beach... can't think of the name... but a lot of good reports from guests.

We will flip the coin and see what everyone is in the mood for, and who is charging $35 per night to camp in a tent.

Most likely, we will camp out on Shell Island and drive to Rancho Percebu and pay for showers. It should be a good time for all.

David K - 4-9-2011 at 05:54 PM

There are cold showers at Campo Beluga, Gonzaga Bay... and hot ones for rent at Alfonsina's.

Bajaboy - 4-9-2011 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
There are cold showers at Campo Beluga, Gonzaga Bay... and hot ones for rent at Alfonsina's.

Or buy a solar shower:light:

David K - 4-9-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Or buy a solar shower:light:

Heck, we go in the summer when the sea is bathtub warm all day and all night... so we bathe constantly when camping!

Ken Cooke - 4-10-2011 at 07:32 AM

Quote:

I'm thinking about my wife. I'm fine with cold showers, but when you grow up taking cold showers, you demand heated water when available. :!:

David K - 4-10-2011 at 10:17 AM

Camping in Baja is not the same as a resort vacation to Cancun... Hope she can wait until you get her to the giant luxury showers at Baja Cactus.

Ken

BajaRob - 4-10-2011 at 10:24 AM

We are just south of Shell Island at Bahia Santa Maria and you guys are welcome to hot showers here.

Ken Cooke - 4-10-2011 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRob
We are just south of Shell Island at Bahia Santa Maria and you guys are welcome to hot showers here.

Thanks, Baja Rob. No, Leidys will not wait until she arrives in El Rosario for a shower. She plans on bathing daily, including in the cold pools in Mission Santa Maria.:o

mcfez - 4-11-2011 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by akshadow

This is correct. The places are clean too.

I wouldn't pay more than $20 anywhere to camp, and I do camp a lot down from SF to BoLA. It's around $10 - $15 on the average

$35 camping I would pay if the camp came with a pretty host and a case of beer :)

BTW Ken.....I use solar hot water bags for camping. I'm one of those folks that MUST take a HOT shower each day.......these solar bags are real good.....real hot too!

[Edited on 4-11-2011 by mcfez]

Ken Cooke - 4-11-2011 at 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfezBTW Ken.....I use solar hot water bags for camping. I'm one of those folks that MUST take a HOT shower each day.......these solar bags are real good.....real hot too!

[Edited on 4-11-2011 by mcfez]

Thanks McFez -- I have a solar shower bag that will be brought along for occasional use. Hot water is a good thing. :bounce:

baja829 - 4-12-2011 at 01:17 AM

Rob, aren't you the brave one -- posting free hot showers at your house in Santa Maria -- hope the spring breakers aren't Nomads --- Let us know how that works out!!

CortezBlue - 4-12-2011 at 12:07 PM

Quote:

Why don't you do Pete's camp?

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2011 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CortezBlue
Quote:

Why don't you do Pete's camp?

That place is noisy, the restaurant is full of smokers, you can't eat without tasting the smoke, listening to the motorhome generators, total b.s.

mrfatboy - 4-28-2011 at 07:17 AM

I was just quoted $40 per night per car at Punta Estrella over Memorial Day weekend. They said they just built a pool that will be opening for the first time that weekend. Does anybody know anything about if?

$40 is crazy. I dont even like $25 at percebu. I remember when it was $5 :)

Toilet, cold shower, and trash is getting pricey nowadays :).