BajaNomad

April 2011 - search for the lost mission

bajalou - 4-15-2011 at 01:29 PM

Let's put the search plans etc here - (so I don't have tons of posts to go through to get the actual travel plan)

Who - TW & Bill, DavidK & ?, Lou & quad, Unnamed Email to DK.

Who else?

Where to meet -?

When to meet -?

I'm coming via Gonzaga and back up. Maybe Sta Inez Thurs nite? I'm pretty open on time frame for all of this.

David K - 4-15-2011 at 08:31 PM

Hi Lou, I just saw this after posting in the main Santa Isabel thread... that my passenger has dropped out... Perhaps another will step up or I will read about it when you guys get back... No worries!

bryanmckenzie - 4-18-2011 at 11:42 AM

Unfortunately, ditto David. Sadly, I too, will not be able to attend; financial reasons and the need to client/job hunt. Should something change dramatically in the next 10 days, I could be a last-minute add-on. Now go out there and have fun!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Hi Lou, I just saw this after posting in the main Santa Isabel thread... that my passenger has dropped out... Perhaps another will step up or I will read about it when you guys get back... No worries!

XRPhlang - 4-19-2011 at 08:46 AM

Count me in. I'll be solo driving a Tacoma with my XR in the back. How about you Tom. Are you bringing your bike this time?

David K - 4-19-2011 at 11:05 AM

Okay, looks like good news, another Nomad has contacted me and wants to do this thing!

Not that it will be a problem, but while installing sprinklers in a back yard, my parked truck was sideswiped by a badly driven motorhome on a quiet Carlsbad street yesterday... Cosmetic damage to the wheel area and door... hard to hurt a Toyota!

Lot's of room, but???

XRPhlang - 4-19-2011 at 12:13 PM

Good thing you were not getting out of the truck at that moment.

Mexitron - 4-19-2011 at 12:21 PM

Bummer David!

dtbushpilot - 4-19-2011 at 01:38 PM

So, what is the date for this trip? I know that it's probably in the other post but as this is the official post for the trip the dates should be posted here.
Thanks.....dt

bajalou - 4-19-2011 at 01:58 PM

Looks like 29-30-31 of April - search in the wash on the 30th.

Then Tom was wanting to look at/fix road to a mine that is also in the area so?

You ought to get in on this Steve.

David K - 4-19-2011 at 01:59 PM

Friday, April 29 is the drive south... El Volcan is 294 miles from the border, estimate 7 hours driving.

Saturday, April 30... the hike/ ride/ ? to 'Santa Isabel' ~3 miles down the arroyo from the El Marmol/ La Olvidada road crossing.

Sunday, May 1... after a check on El Volcan (Baja's cold water geyser) a half mile up the arroyo... the drive home. I plan on using Hwy. 3 to Tecate... will record actual paved/ dirt detour miles on that day.

David K - 4-19-2011 at 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Good thing you were not getting out of the truck at that moment.

Yah, then I would be REALLY mad!!!

dtbushpilot - 4-19-2011 at 04:50 PM

I think I'm free that weekend, sounds like a good opportunity to break out the KTM for a road trip......dt

David K - 4-19-2011 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I think I'm free that weekend, sounds like a good opportunity to break out the KTM for a road trip......dt

That would be great Dave!:cool:

TMW - 4-19-2011 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Count me in. I'll be solo driving a Tacoma with my XR in the back. How about you Tom. Are you bringing your bike this time?

I wasn't but since your coming I'll bring mine too. I'll be in my new 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I guess I better get the insurance for it soon.

TMW - 4-19-2011 at 07:19 PM

DK is your left rear bumper bent out? From the photo it looks that way to me.

XRPhlang - 4-19-2011 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

I wasn't but since your coming I'll bring mine too. I'll be in my new 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4. I guess I better get the insurance for it soon.
Great! It will be good to have them. Hopefully leaving the trucks won't be a worry. Too bad you got an '04. We could have shared the same insurance. Is it silver?

David K - 4-19-2011 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
DK is your left rear bumper bent out? From the photo it looks that way to me.

Well documented as we neared Mision Santa Maria, last May:

We were able to bend it back (almost)!

Coming down the rock staircase (being guided but who could tell the tire would fall off the edge and the truck would fall down onto the back and as I drove ahead the bumper snagged and got pulled out... I didn't know anything was wrong until the boyyom of the gully where Baja Angel was giving me the 'oh no' look! :lol:

Art's rear bumper also got snagged the same.

dtbushpilot - 4-20-2011 at 09:20 AM

Anyone interested in camping a few more days, perhaps at another location? I hate to go all the way down for 2 sleeps. I'll be on a motorcycle so can't carry much stuff and camping alone isn't much fun......dt

TMW - 4-20-2011 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Great! It will be good to have them. Hopefully leaving the trucks won't be a worry. Too bad you got an '04. We could have shared the same insurance. Is it silver?

It's white, otherwise similar to yours. 3.4 L engine. I had a locker put in the rear. I got the front bumper guards on, and did a 2 inch leveling kit and last week got the 3/16 steel skid plates on, three of them, engine, tranny and transfer case. The bed had already been spayed in. I'm doing rock sliders after the NORRA race. Will do 33 inch tires when the ones on it wear out.

David K - 4-20-2011 at 03:30 PM

TW, do join TacomaWorld.com forums... tons and tons of Tacoma stuff, advice, deals, group buys, chat... much bigger than Nomad.

BAJACAT - 4-20-2011 at 10:44 PM

Quote:
I also will be driving solo, hopefully I will caravan with DK, or who ever is driving south on Friday 29th...Im driving a Red Dodge RAM.

David K - 4-20-2011 at 11:54 PM

Awesome... I hope you can find a passenger! Follow us Friday morning...

Mexitron - 4-21-2011 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

Love to Lou, but can't get out there that soon...later in summer we'll be in CA at least part-time---selling the house right now, organizing, etc., etc. We're tossing the idea around of being semi-nomadic for awhile before we settle into the routine again...lots of Baja to catch up on!

David K - 4-21-2011 at 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

Love to Lou, but can't get out there that soon...later in summer we'll be in CA at least part-time---selling the house right now, organizing, etc., etc. We're tossing the idea around of being semi-nomadic for awhile before we settle into the routine again...lots of Baja to catch up on!

Great Steve... Hope to see you this summer... maybe in Baja!

David K - 6-14-2011 at 08:54 AM

Just looking at the damage photos of my truck...
It was dropped off at the collision shop last Wednesday and it might be done this week. They were also going to try and make my rear bumper look better. I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee rental in the meantime (2WD sadly) as they were out of trucks at Enterprise.