BajaNomad

LOST MISSION EXPEDITION 2011 (Part 6 of 6: Rancho Sonora and Tacos Mision)

David K - 5-11-2011 at 10:40 PM

Continued from PART 5: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52833

We reached Hwy. 1 and turned south to visit Rancho Sonora, which can be seen a kilometer away from the El Marmol junction (located between Km. 149 & 150).

(Photo from Vern)

I had last stopped here in July, 2000 with Lorenzo de Baja, after we camped by El Volcan. We had come for breakfast and enjoyed the treat before heading north.

Rancho Sonora was established about 1965 on the old main road, 1/2 mile north. In fact, you can see the foundation for it just to the right of the new El Marmol road, where it crosses the old road (a big tire sign for Tres Enriques ranch is to the left at the old road).

When the highway was built through here in 1973, Santiago moved his ranch to the side of the highway (as did others seeking business with travelers). It was posted here on Nomad that Santiago passed away a few months ago. It was his son we had just met at the windmill.

Next to the rancho is a large parking area for R.V.s for camping or to park and use another vehicle to run to El Marmol.

We next headed to El Rosario... 57 miles away.

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by David K]

Tacos Mision and Hugo Lopez art gallery!

David K - 5-11-2011 at 10:59 PM

In EL ROSARIO...

(Photo by Vern)

Hugo has some killer giant burritos and stuffed baked potatoes which we had for lunch there... Hugo said he hasn't been doing as much painting the past year... Here is some of what was on display:

We topped the gas tank at Baja Cactus. 8.77 pesos per liter for Magna and 9.87 pesos for Premium. The exchange rate was 11.20 pesos: dollar. (price in dollars was $2.96/ gallon)

I topped again in Ensenada and there the exchange was 11.00 per dollar making gas $3.02/ gallon.

We took Hwy. 3 to Tecate and it was a breeze, with no construction that day (Sunday) and no unpaved detours.

We arrived at the border line at 7:14 pm and were across in 50 minutes. The officer asked us if we were listening to the radio... that Bin Laden had just been killed. :bounce:

Another great trip to Baja and with fellow Baja Nomads made it a real treat! My legs were sore for about 3 days... It was a good pain, however... walking in the desert and looking for a lost mission... it is still lost! :cool::yes:

A BIG thank you to Nomad 'El Vergel' for sponsoring this adventure for the two of us to make the trip and I think he enjoyed himself as much as did I! Another big thank you to 'elbeau' for insiring us to seek out his fuzzy image of arches, stairways and fountains... we LOVED IT!

More Baja adventures and lost missions await us!

Until then, be good to yourself and others around you!

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by David K]

bajajeffrey - 5-11-2011 at 11:17 PM

Great post, Thank you for taking us all along.

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by bajajeffrey]

David K - 5-11-2011 at 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajeffrey
Great post, didnt know what I was missing.

Thank you... next time, join us!

Baja is a magic place... and while we have our favorites for repeat trips (like Laguna Percebu/ Shell Island, for us)... there is just so much more out there to see and enjoy!

bigboy - 5-12-2011 at 11:11 AM

David,

You should stop at a bank to get a more favorable exchange rate. If you have a BofA debit card, you can stop at any Santandar Bank and get the current exchange rate with no additionl fees added!

An added benifit is that most Calimex stores have a Santander ATM in the store. No fees here with the BofA card. The exchange rate today,05/12, is 11.71, a big difference from 11.00!

Mrs. Bigboy and I just returned from six week road trip all the way to cabo and back and went cash basis only. What with paying propert taxes, fine hotels, condo and home rentals plus fine dining, including twice at Jesse's increadable Tres Virgines, I figured I saved hundreds of dollars with my debit card.

Give it a try and report back!

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by bigboy]

BajaGeoff - 5-12-2011 at 11:44 AM

Finally got to catch up with all the reports DK! Great stuff....glad to hear the mission is still lost and there will be more trips like this in the future!

BornFisher - 5-12-2011 at 12:21 PM

What a trip! Thanks for the ride!
Really enjoyed all the reports, thanks guys!!

David K - 5-12-2011 at 03:15 PM

Glad to share... it keeps the trip alive so much longer that way!

Big Boy, I only needed under a half tank in Ensenada, and at $3.02 a gallon for the 9 gallons, taking time to find a bank waiting in line or ATM just wasn't logical. If we take a week off and go to Baja Sur, we load up on Pesos (from Costco in Chula Vista). Gas was over a dollar more a gallon at home, so we were happy... and Pemex is BETTER gasoline giving you more MPG (ethynol free)!

smlslikfish - 5-12-2011 at 05:11 PM

any links to that painter in El Rosario? I like 'em

David K - 5-12-2011 at 05:31 PM

If you go over my many El Rosario area web pages (see my links to Baja location photos below) are photos of Hugo's work...

I will make a post showing all of his photos... a good thought! We have two here in our home... one of the oasis near Mision Santa Maria and one of a Mexican village street.

dtbushpilot - 5-12-2011 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff
Finally got to catch up with all the reports DK! Great stuff....glad to hear the mission is still lost and there will be more trips like this in the future!

Don't jump to conclusions, I haven't done my trip report yet.;D;D;D....dt

BAJACAT - 5-12-2011 at 05:49 PM

Dk don't forget to send me the pix of "LA DIOSA DEL AGAVE". the Agave godess..
to bad it's not for sale but I told Hugo that if ever wants to sell it, I want it...
The mision bake potato was realy good...and the burrito too..

Udo - 5-12-2011 at 07:43 PM

Last time we were in El Marmol, we spent about $50 U.S. in figurines. The work is much more extensive when you went, David.
We'll probably return there this coming December, and at least we'll buy a couple of wind chimes and some palm trees.

TERRIFIC REPORT, AGAIN, DAVID!

p.s. I think BAJACAT and I will have a bidding war for the DIOSA.

David K - 5-12-2011 at 10:11 PM

Thanks Udo!

BajaCat, I will send you all the various photos from mine and Vern's camera... as they look all the same to me (naked girl behind a cactus ouch)!

DT, looking forward to your report (it better be worth the wait LOL!)...

What happened to Phil??? Vern told me he got sacked with work... but his is coming, too... and bajalou's when he is on a faster Internet, in the states.

David K - 5-13-2011 at 10:57 PM

José, did you get all six photos of the painting okay?

dtbushpilot... well? Whenever you're ready, we will enjoy it!!:light::cool::bounce:

David K - 5-14-2011 at 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by smlslikfish
any links to that painter in El Rosario? I like 'em

Here you go, I just posted all the photos I have of Hugo's paintings from 2004 to this month: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52923

Udo - 5-14-2011 at 10:13 AM

I would have purchased the housing one also, but the other one that appeals to me also is the one of the OLD MILL back yard!

bryanmckenzie - 5-15-2011 at 09:46 AM

Thanks David. And to all the other Nomadds. Great trip report. I love all the photos & maps.

David K - 5-15-2011 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Rat
David, I just finished reading Lou's report and have now read yours, too. Thanks to you guys, I have seen another interesting part of Baja. Some of us might not be able to get to these places so it's nice to have someone bring them to us. Thanks again.

You are welcome! See my web site for more wild Baja locations: http://vivabaja.com (history, links, photos, my trips from the past 11 years, maps, etc.)

We still are waiting for trip reports from dtbushpilot (the other David on this adventure), El Vergel (Vern) and XRPhlang (Phil)!

David K - 5-15-2011 at 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Thanks David. And to all the other Nomadds. Great trip report. I love all the photos & maps.

De nada, hope you can join us on the next one!

BAJACAT - 5-15-2011 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

dtbushpilot... well? Whenever you're ready, we will enjoy it!!:light::cool::bounce:
got them thanks..
Now i will have to fight UDO for the naked lady painting....i wanted for my room... how can I reach him..

dtbushpilot - 5-15-2011 at 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Don't get your panties in a wad, I just got home to Buena Vista this evening and I'm sitting here with a glass of wine decompressing. I'll get the trip report done soon.......but when I do everyone will know "the rest of the story".....are you sure they are ready for that?........dt

David K - 5-15-2011 at 11:04 PM

Hey, what happens in Arroyo El Volcan, stays in Arroyo El Volcan... right??:O

Besides, who kept you in chips and snacks? :rolleyes:

I love camping and exploring Baja... Hope you all will be ready for the next 'Lost' seach!!