BajaNomad

The ART of HUGO LOPEZ, in El Rosario

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:32 AM

Hugo runs TACOS MISION, along Hwy. 1 in El Rosario (on the left hand side as you drive south... towards the far side of town) and has been doing beautiful paintings of the Baja landscape, missions, and abstracts for many years.

Enjoy his art while you feed on his awesome burritos or stuffed baked potatoes... or just stop in. His work is also on display in the Baja Cactus lobby and has been in some of the rooms.

I started taking photos of his work in 2004...

In 2005:

(my wife loved this one, so we bought it!)

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by David K]

Ken Bondy - 5-14-2011 at 09:33 AM

Every time I see his work I am dazzled at how good it is.

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:35 AM

Nov., 2005:

(I loved this one, so I bought it!)

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:41 AM

In 2006:

Some of the photos were taken during the Baja-Rosario Cultural Fesival 2006, in which Hugo and others local painters displayed their work.

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:44 AM

2008:

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:48 AM

2011 (so far):

Outside Tacos Mision in May, 2011:

(El Vergel Photo)

Those are all the photos I have of Hugo's paintings... If anyone has others, please add them!

Thanks!!

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by David K]

Bob H - 5-14-2011 at 09:49 AM

Beautiful! Looks like you have had quite a few tacos there!!

David K - 5-14-2011 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Every time I see his work I am dazzled at how good it is.

Ditto that!

The one of the oasis near Mision Santa Maria is here in my office... love it!

DENNIS - 5-14-2011 at 07:15 PM

ART..vs...ILLUSTRATION.

What do we have here?

Whatever........I think it's wonderful.

wessongroup - 5-14-2011 at 08:01 PM

Thanks much for the "showing".. really nice style and his colors are super.. also liked the "sectional" very cool...

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by wessongroup]

briantroy - 5-14-2011 at 11:06 PM

These type of posts are why I love visiting this site. Anyone know Hugo has an online gallery; or do I have to drive there to buy some of his work? Nice pics, David.

wessongroup - 5-15-2011 at 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy
These type of posts are why I love visiting this site. Anyone know Hugo has an online gallery; or do I have to drive there to buy some of his work? Nice pics, David.

Would bet DK could work something out for ya...

David K - 5-15-2011 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by briantroy

Some of his art was on display at a gallery in Ensenada... and also during a special event at the government building in San Quintin.

Maybe check with Antonio (BajaCactus) to see if the paintings are still in Ensenada...? I think driving to El Rosario would get you a better deal, plus meet the artist... and get a good meal!

BajaBlanca - 5-15-2011 at 11:38 AM

I wish I had been to tacos mision and had seen these before - I love the desert scenes .... he managed to really capture the BAJA feelign and why we love ithere .... to think I have driven by and never knew such a talent was there !!

briantroy - 5-15-2011 at 03:43 PM

Going to Ensenada to see family in a couple weeks. I will check it out. Thanks!

Bajahowodd - 5-15-2011 at 04:04 PM

Thanks for posting the photos, DK.

Hugo has genuine talent. Much of his work puts some of the poseurs in Todos Santos to shame.

He really needs a patron and a gallery, so he can stop slinging tacos.

I just cannot imagine, no matter how tasty some of the tacos might be, that they could come close to being as satisfying as many of his paintings. His art nourishes the soul.

[Edited on 5-16-2011 by Bajahowodd]

DENNIS - 5-15-2011 at 04:11 PM

If nothing else, he is prolific. I wonder if he ever sleeps.

briantroy - 5-15-2011 at 05:03 PM

A patron is a good idea; he needs one. I can see the man has talent. I can only imagine what he would accomplish if he broaded his stroke and focused only on creating. Bet he makes a killer taco!

woody with a view - 5-15-2011 at 05:08 PM

FWIW, we stopped at the taco shop one time and we felt like we were intruding on the 2 ladies working the counter. very cold. the food was not enough to make me return.....

but his artistic talents are amazing!

Eli - 5-15-2011 at 06:39 PM

Thanks David, there are some very nice pieces to study here.
Dennis, I vote that it is art as opposed to illustration as I can see the artist's soul in his work. Illustrations no matter how well done do not carry the artist's persona into the piece.

[Edited on 5-16-2011 by Eli]

DENNIS - 5-15-2011 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Dennis, I vote that it is art as opposed to illustration as I can see the artist's soul in his work. Illustrations no matter how well done do not carry the artist's persona into the piece.

You are truly a Mexicana, Sara. :light:

Eli - 5-15-2011 at 08:04 PM

Pues Si! I will take that as a compliment Dennis.

DENNIS - 5-15-2011 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
Pues Si! I will take that as a compliment Dennis.

As well you should. :yes:

Eli - 5-15-2011 at 08:32 PM

My personal favorite from the photos above is The giant clay pot in the garden.
Others that intrigue me are;
The dancers in the cave. 4 sections.
The cave painting with the sea below.
The dancers and cave painted critters in a swirl.
The Flowers and Pomagrantes in front of the sea.
The still life of watermelon, pineapple and other fruit.
The cactus going up the hill
The giant cardon
The one of the Spring that David bought.

David K - 5-15-2011 at 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
The giant cardon

A year or so after I got the oasis painting... we just happened to camp there... following Roy (The Squarecircle) to the spot... that is where we saw all the bighorn sheep the next morning!

When we got home, I then realized that the painting was of a real place... and we were just there!

briantroy - 5-15-2011 at 11:38 PM

Simply awesome.

Eli - 5-16-2011 at 09:03 AM

Thanks Davids for posting the foto with the painting, these 2 pictures show the scene as it is and in Hugo Lopez's vision, both are beautiful. Similar as they are, the spirit of the artist sings to me in the painting, but of course I do not see his soul in the photo, it is just so interesting to me how that works.
I believe that it is not what you see but what you feel when you look at a painting that will tell you what the artist wants to convey.

Apart from studying and creating art, my other favorite thing to do is watch peoples reaction to different artist. Although the roots are mostly of a Mexican Primitive Innocent Vain, I have an incredibly eclectic collection of work in my gallery, sitting back and watching peoples reactions or non reaction never ceases to fascinate me.

David K - 5-16-2011 at 09:52 AM

You are welcome Sara!

We took a lot of photos at that oasis, but mostly of the bighorn sheep! I tried to find one that Roy (Squarecircle) took that I remember shows almost the same angle as Hugo's painting is done at... If I do find it, I will add it... it is amazing...

805gregg - 5-16-2011 at 06:44 PM

A great artist, I love his work thanks for posting.

David K - 5-16-2011 at 09:49 PM

In 2007, was this Hugo painting of San Felipe in our room at Baja Cactus Motel, El Rosario:

David K - 7-8-2011 at 09:02 AM

An update, comparing last Sunday and the previous visit...

There were no new paintings since the guys and I stopped to eat there a couple months ago after our lost mission expedition. Again I asked Hugo if he is painting much, and he said no...

Maybe if he sold more, it would inspire him... or he just needs to take a break?

bigmike58 - 7-10-2012 at 09:00 AM

Thanks to DavidK and this post we were on the lookout for Hugo's taco shop. We stopped in and had some carne taco's and bought a couple of his paintings.

We brought home both the framed one that Hugo is displaying and the unframed flowers in a vase (left side of pic).

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 12:14 PM

I also had a chance to meet Hugo Lopez at his Tacos Mision eatery. He is a very humble man who creates incredible artwork on canvas.

Me standing with the renowned Hugo Lopez

Hugo standing in front of some of his creations

[Edited on 7-11-2012 by BajaNomad]

Price range??? mas o menos

thebajarunner - 7-10-2012 at 02:23 PM

Just curious what the price range is for his work,
some of it is really really good,
some is asi asi.

But, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder....
I think someone famous said that, but every time you give a quote cite someone looks it up on Google and finds out it was someone else who said it

bigmike58 - 7-10-2012 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
some is asi asi.

I think someone famous said that, but every time you give a quote cite someone looks it up on Google and finds out it was someone else who said it

His art is a smoking deal.... The framed one was $60 or 70.00 and the flower one was like 85.00.. The most expensive one I saw was about 230.00.. I may buy it on the next trip..

Quik & Ezy Spanish for Nomads

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
some is asi asi.

CUANTO PREGUNTO TE NECESITO COMPRO - How much is the item listed for?

bigmike58 - 7-10-2012 at 03:16 PM

I liked this one also..not sure exactly why, but it's cool..
I think it is around 200.00

woody with a view - 7-10-2012 at 03:16 PM

why not CUANTO NECESITAS or CUaNTO QUIERES? i thought PREGUNTA=question.....

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
why not CUANTO NECESITAS or CUaNTO QUIERES? i thought PREGUNTA=question.....

I purposefully butchered this phrase to sound muy Americano.LOL

woody with a view - 7-10-2012 at 03:32 PM

you did good, then. i can't speak spanish for sheet (until 3 days SOB), and here i am correcting.....:lol:

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
you did good, then. i can't speak spanish for sheet (until 3 days SOB), and here i am correcting.....:lol:

When SOB, every little bit helps.

Thanks for the price range/ no gracias por el leccion

thebajarunner - 7-10-2012 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:
some is asi asi.

CUANTO PREGUNTO TE NECESITO COMPRO - How much is the item listed for?

Having a wife from Guadalajara I need little instruction en la lengua, pero mil gracias hermano

Meanwhile, those prices are ridiculous.... sad to see such nice work go so cheap.

Sort of like the onyx carvings down at Marmol.
At the site they are 10 bucks
at Espinozas they are 25
and in Ensenada they are 50 +

Sort of like pricing gas based on the price of oil futures,
all over the board

woody with a view - 7-10-2012 at 03:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

When SOB, every little bit helps.

jes, si mon y orale vato!:light:

woody with a view - 7-10-2012 at 03:51 PM

it is the middle men who make all of the profits. everywhere, for every commodity. but if you ask Hugo, he is prolly stoked! how much does a canvas and some pinturas cost? his time is free. we all have free time that could make us some spare pesos, no?

i'm gonna have to snatch one up (or commission one) next time down there...

Little tongue exercises?

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 04:09 PM

Quote:

Having a wife from Guadalajara I need little instruction en la lengua, pero mil gracias hermano

Lengua??

If you consider the expense and time it takes to travel to El Rosario, the prices are probably commenserate with the gasoline, insurance, food and lodging that one must invest in order to make this art purchase.

Gasoline r/t to El Rosario -

4 full tanks of gasoline to El Rosario and back (60 gal@~3.40) = $204
1 night of lodging at Baja Cactus = $35
Dinner for 2 at Mama Espinozas = $40
Car insurance 2 days/48 hrs. = $45
1 night of lodging in San Ysidro = $80
Lunch for 2 at El Palomar, Santo Tomas = $25

Now, you are looking at roughly $500 to buy artwork. There, is where the higher cost factors in.:light:

woody with a view - 7-10-2012 at 04:18 PM

wow! maybe get a toyota? i can make it to ER on 15 gallons, have lunch and top off the tank, hit the road and spend the longest 2 hours of my year waiting to cross the border. 11 hours border to border line.

our casita is 15 minutes NOB. we ought to do a trip Ken. you and mama can stay at our house for the night. we can turn you two on to the best seafood escabeche in baja (El Ros) oh, and i get first pic on the artwork!:P

[Edited on 7-10-2012 by woody with a view]

Si, la lengua- as every pocho knows and says

thebajarunner - 7-10-2012 at 04:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Lengua??

If you consider the expense and time it takes to travel to El Rosario, the prices are probably commenserate with the gasoline, insurance, food and lodging that one must invest in order to make this art purchase.

Gasoline r/t to El Rosario -

4 full tanks of gasoline to El Rosario and back (60 gal@~3.40) = $204
1 night of lodging at Baja Cactus = $35
Dinner for 2 at Mama Espinozas = $40
Car insurance 2 days/48 hrs. = $45
1 night of lodging in San Ysidro = $80
Lunch for 2 at El Palomar, Santo Tomas = $25

Now, you are looking at roughly $500 to buy artwork. There, is where the higher cost factors in.:light:

Pocho puro, mi hermano...

asi......

feminine noun
1. tongue (órgano)

las malas lenguas dicen que… -> according to the gossip…
irse de la lengua (informal) -> to let the cat out of the bag
ir/llegar con la lengua fuera (informal) -> to go along/arrive puffing and panting
morderse la lengua -> to bite one's tongue
se le trabó la lengua -> she stumbled over her words
tener la lengua muy larga (informal) -> to be a gossip
tirar a alguien de la lengua (informal figurative) -> to draw somebody out
lengua de gato -> chocolate finger (biscuit) (de chocolate) (peninsular Spanish)
lengua de víbora o viperina (figurative) -> malicious tongue
lengua de tierra -> tongue of land

2. language (idioma, lenguaje)

lengua materna -> mother tongue
lengua muerta -> dead language

woody with a view - 7-10-2012 at 04:50 PM

donde lengua de sappo?

and you guys know that lengua de carnitas, chivo, res and every other hoof animal is some of the sweetest taco meat on the menu, right?

David K - 7-10-2012 at 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmike58
Thanks to DavidK and this post we were on the lookout for Hugo's taco shop. We stopped in and had some carne taco's and bought a couple of his paintings.

We brought home both the framed one that Hugo is displaying and the unframed flowers in a vase (left side of pic).

Very cool Big Mike! Thanks for sizing your photos to 800 pixels max (per Nomad guidelines)! Now if we can only get Ken to play as well! :light:

bigmike58 - 7-10-2012 at 10:43 PM

no worries, I use a program called "fast image resizer" and set it for 800x600. I'm sure there is something better but this program is free and you can grab an entire folder of pics (100's of em) and just drop them into resizer and it automaticaly saves the smaller pics in a subfolder that it creates called "resized" and it's superfast! about 2sec a photo..

All of the above works...

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 10:53 PM

Quote:

In your house, you speak Guadalajara Spanish - at my place, we speak Castellano. It's all interrelated. I didn't pick up on your slang, hermano. No offense meant.

Ken Cooke - 7-10-2012 at 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, it really takes you 4 tank fulls to do an El Rosario round trip? It is 275 miles from my place and you are about 80 miles north of me, right? 355 miles is an easy 'highway tank' for my V-6 beast which gets 18 mpg, and 20 gallons in Baja is about $60 dollars. So, your 6 only gets 9 mpg highway?

Why wouldn't you eat at Hugo's for about $10 (for two)... best burritos or stuffed potatoes in Baja! Why would you need to stay in San Ysidro when that is just 2 hours from your home? Lunch at El Palomar? Tacos El Poblado in Maneadero my friend!! An annual policy would cost you less than $1 a day to fully insure your Jeep, also...

Just trying to help you enjoy more Baja for the buck!

1. Rubicon instead of the Honda - solid front and rear axle drivetrain that holds up better to pot holes and heavy-duty tires than can withstand impacts better than the Honda. Plus, the Rubicon has a lifetime alignment that I purchased in 2003.

2. I live 120 miles north of San Ysidro, CA - My Rubicon fills up with 17 gallons of fuel and has a range of approximately 240 miles using Ethanol-blended gasoline, and approximately 270 miles using non-Ethanol-blended Pemex gasoline. This is part of the reason I drive so slowly compared to you on the hwy, since every little bit helps. If I drive like a lunatic, I would get closer to 9 mpg hwy. My top end is 85 mph but, I can drive at 80 mph on a US Interstate Fwy - I won't go faster than 65 in Mexico (based upon lots of experience).

3. Why wouldn't I eat at Hugos? The last time I was in El Rosario, the lights were off (past 10 pm) - I'll try Hugo's next time.

4. Why stay in San Ysidro? 3 reasons - Pool at motel, cool weather, and tired from driving all day/crossing border (blah!).

5. Tacos El Poblano? I don't eat Beef, Goat, etc. My wife doesn't like tacos - period. Gotta go with the flow, my friend.

6. Insurance policy - I'm DEFINITELY purchasing my policy by the annual basis since my Jeep is now paid off.

Stuff it Ken!

mcfez - 7-11-2012 at 07:21 AM

".........stuffed potatoes"
Okay....you guys got me! What is a stuffed potato?

You and David sure have a way of OT'ing this topic :-)

Quote:
Quote:
Ken, it really takes you 4 tank fulls to do an El Rosario round trip? It is 275 miles from my place and you are about 80 miles north of me, right? 355 miles is an easy 'highway tank' for my V-6 beast which gets 18 mpg, and 20 gallons in Baja is about $60 dollars. So, your 6 only gets 9 mpg highway?

Why wouldn't you eat at Hugo's for about $10 (for two)... best burritos or stuffed potatoes in Baja! Why would you need to stay in San Ysidro when that is just 2 hours from your home? Lunch at El Palomar? Tacos El Poblado in Maneadero my friend!! An annual policy would cost you less than $1 a day to fully insure your Jeep, also...

Just trying to help you enjoy more Baja for the buck!

1. Rubicon instead of the Honda - solid front and rear axle drivetrain that holds up better to pot holes and heavy-duty tires than can withstand impacts better than the Honda. Plus, the Rubicon has a lifetime alignment that I purchased in 2003.

2. I live 120 miles north of San Ysidro, CA - My Rubicon fills up with 17 gallons of fuel and has a range of approximately 240 miles using Ethanol-blended gasoline, and approximately 270 miles using non-Ethanol-blended Pemex gasoline. This is part of the reason I drive so slowly compared to you on the hwy, since every little bit helps. If I drive like a lunatic, I would get closer to 9 mpg hwy. My top end is 85 mph but, I can drive at 80 mph on a US Interstate Fwy - I won't go faster than 65 in Mexico (based upon lots of experience).

3. Why wouldn't I eat at Hugos? The last time I was in El Rosario, the lights were off (past 10 pm) - I'll try Hugo's next time.

4. Why stay in San Ysidro? 3 reasons - Pool at motel, cool weather, and tired from driving all day/crossing border (blah!).

5. Tacos El Poblano? I don't eat Beef, Goat, etc. My wife doesn't like tacos - period. Gotta go with the flow, my friend.

6. Insurance policy - I'm DEFINITELY purchasing my policy by the annual basis since my Jeep is now paid off.

David K - 7-11-2012 at 07:38 AM

Go to Hugo's and find out! :-)

No offense taken, my good man

thebajarunner - 7-11-2012 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Quote:

In your house, you speak Guadalajara Spanish - at my place, we speak Castellano. It's all interrelated. I didn't pick up on your slang, hermano. No offense meant.

Ken, you are one of the good guys, never offended by your posts.

As to "Guadalajara Spinach"
Mi esposa rages at me all the time for my "Border Pocho" lingo.
(By the way, where do you think the slang word "lingo" came from? Yep, lengua)

Anyway, my esSpanich is all my own, and proud of it.

Ken Cooke - 7-11-2012 at 08:03 AM

I haven't been able to travel to Colombia to practice my Castillian Spanish, and I have a hard time understanding the 'Border Spanish' I hear in Tijuana (and here in SoCal), so I'm practicing everyday with my wife. Trying not to lose my skills.

David K - 9-5-2012 at 04:54 PM

BajaTripper was asking about the Hugo Lopez painting he saw here in my house, so I am bumping up this thread.

bigmike58 - 9-5-2012 at 10:00 PM

Here's the other one we got from Hugo.

had a frame made in Mulege, made from "ironwood"? I think that's what he said....

David K - 9-6-2012 at 08:41 AM

That's nice... I hope he doesn't quit.. last year he told me he wasn't doing anymore.

Skipjack Joe - 11-3-2012 at 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
The giant cardon

The desert landscapes are his best paintings IMO. Perhaps we've seen them so often that they no longer inspire as much as they should.

I agree about the cave painting with the sea below as you noted.

monoloco - 11-4-2012 at 06:48 AM

We went and met Hugo who is a very nice man, unfortunately, he did not have many paintings for sale. He is going to send us photos as they become available. Maybe next time.

Ken Cooke - 12-15-2012 at 09:42 PM

Quote:
That's nice... I hope he doesn't quit.. last year he told me he wasn't doing anymore.

Why? He is so talented.

David K - 4-30-2014 at 11:46 PM

Anyone have any new photos of Hugo's paintings? Is he showing anything new at his Tacos Misión restaurant in El Rosario?

Marc - 5-1-2014 at 05:32 AM

Quote:
FWIW, we stopped at the taco shop one time and we felt like we were intruding on the 2 ladies working the counter. very cold. the food was not enough to make me return.....

but his artistic talents are amazing!

I had exactly the same experience. I will never set foot in that place again.

David K - 5-1-2014 at 10:31 AM

I hope Bajaboy has a recent comment, as I have never had a negative experience... but Hugo was always there when I stopped. Bajaboy is a far more regular customer of Tacos Misión than I. Hugo now also operates the emergency ambulance service set up by 'BajaCactus', so maybe he is not enforcing friendly service at the café? Bummer Marc, I am sorry that happened. It is not Hugo's way at all.

David K - 8-2-2016 at 11:32 AM

Here's an update from our last trip through El Rosario, July 10, 2016...
Hugo is no longer painting!!! Bummer.

Also, Hugo is not with the Desert Hawks Emergency Service anymore.
Sad that some things don't last...

Hugo Lopez' art was always very enjoyable to see. I am happy that Baja Angel and I each bought one of his paintings to display here at home.

We did not stay long enough to have a meal at Tacos la Mision this last trip, so no report on that.

David K - 11-17-2020 at 11:01 AM

I found Hugo's Facebook page and here is an album of his paintings: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.570110429669914&am...