BajaNomad

Our young cousin kidnapped yesterday, found dead today...

Woooosh - 5-15-2011 at 11:45 AM

Well, this isn't Baja related except for the pain we feel here. The reality is most every family in Mexico has some family connection with the narco violence by now. You think about the 30K victims of this war and how many family members each victim had- and it all hits home. Ours hit home this morning when the phone call came. No ransom demands as we had expected (and dreaded)- just dead.

Our cousin was 25 and went to Juarez from Torreon to open a stand-type restaurant. He had it open about three days when a young man about 19 years old drove up in a new Camaro and demanded he pay $5K every month or he would be killed. Instead he closed the restaurant that same day- there was no way he could make that much money at his taco stand to give that much money away and stay in business. He began making plans to come to TJ where it is safer to open a business (how's that for irony on this board). Yesterday morning he was kidnapped from his apartment and this morning his body was found. I didn't ask about the condition of the corpse- the phone conversations this morning were short- and no one really wanted to know how he died because it's your relative- you want to think they died peacefully and in tact.

Our family is still suffering from the kidnapping of another cousin (a successful businessman with a huge family) from an after-wedding party last summer in Torreon. That cousin is still missing and it is almost a year with no demands for ranson. When the mass grave of bodies in Durango began appearing last week- we were hopeful we would find him there- but so far we have not.

It is such a surreal feeling to be immersed in this Mexican misery of the survival of the successful. They take the good men who have bright futures, good families and work hard for their money. All because the are too friggin lazy to earn a legitimate living for themselves. The narcos truly have no souls. They will kill their people and their country- one family at a time, like ours.

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by Woooosh]

David K - 5-15-2011 at 11:52 AM

I am very sorry for your family's loss!

DENNIS - 5-15-2011 at 12:01 PM

Gawwwwdammm...that is completely sick, Woooosh. I am so sorry.

BajaBlanca - 5-15-2011 at 12:09 PM

I am so sorry and in shock .... very sad day in Baja.

elgatoloco - 5-15-2011 at 12:10 PM

Sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

DianaT - 5-15-2011 at 12:13 PM

So very, very sorry. :no::no:

Our thoughts are with you and your family.

TMW - 5-15-2011 at 12:25 PM

You read and hear about this but it really doesn't hit home until it is a relative or someone you know. So sorry for you and your family.

BajaGringo - 5-15-2011 at 12:25 PM

Sending you and your family our heartfelt condolences Woooosh. We share with you in your grieving...

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-15-2011 at 12:29 PM

I'm sorry Woooosh. That is so F'd up. I wish I could kill the sub-human scumbag for you!

desertcpl - 5-15-2011 at 12:36 PM

I am so terribly sorry for your loss, this is just unreal that some one could do this to a innocent person just wanting to earn a honest living

Cypress - 5-15-2011 at 12:42 PM

RIP!

Osprey - 5-15-2011 at 12:50 PM

Don't have the right words for this one except I am so sorry for your loss.

woody with a view - 5-15-2011 at 01:03 PM

one day these culeros will get theirs. sorry you have to deal with the reality the rest of us opine on so much.

krafty - 5-15-2011 at 01:12 PM

Very sorry to hear this-condolences to you and yours

Mexitron - 5-15-2011 at 01:22 PM

So very sad Wooosh, I'm sorry for your loss.

Paulina - 5-15-2011 at 01:23 PM

I'm so very sorry.

P>*)))>{

Pompano - 5-15-2011 at 01:31 PM

Words are not nearly enough....I am sorry for your loss.

vgabndo - 5-15-2011 at 01:35 PM

I'm so sorry for any part my country may have played in creating the conditions that killed your cousin. This is just one of the many things these days that JUST ISN'T RIGHT. DEP

bufeo - 5-15-2011 at 02:58 PM

I'm sorry, Woooosh. Please accept my sympathy. Such a tragedy.

Allen R

deportes - 5-15-2011 at 03:17 PM

Very sorry to hear your terrible news! Stay strong.

Woooosh - 5-15-2011 at 03:31 PM

Thanks for all the kind posts. I feel more Mexican today, but for the wrong reasons.

This Is Not The Place

Bajahowodd - 5-15-2011 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I'm so sorry for any part my country may have played in creating the conditions that killed your cousin.

First, and foremost, I extend my family's condolences to Woooosh and the family that has been devastated by this loss.

Second, it seems to me that if anyone wants to re-visit the drug/ cartel/violence issue, they ought to start their own thread.

[Edited on 5-15-2011 by Bajahowodd]

[Edited on 5-16-2011 by BajaNomad]

JESSE - 5-15-2011 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Thanks for all the kind posts. I feel more Mexican today, but for the wrong reasons.

I am very sorry for your loss Wooosh. I am still scratching my head at why in the world would he want to go to Juarez to open a business? its the last place in Mexico i would want to do that.

lizard lips - 5-15-2011 at 03:45 PM

I am very sorry for your pain right now Woooosh. There are no words for a tragedy like this....

You mentioned that the narco's are responsible for the kidnapping and death but really the narco's have only opened the door for anyone that has a desire to threaten, extort or kidnap and kill. I have been in Torreon many times and will never go back and never cross over to Durango as well. Through my work I made friends with the jefe of the homicide division in Ciudad Juarez who told me two years ago that 13 different groups of kidnappers were operating in the city that were not connected to a cartel. There are probably more now. My friend was murdered last year.

Extortion in Mexico has been a big money maker for these low life's. Places where the drug cartels are operating such as Torreon, Juarez, Durango, the state of Nuevo Leon, Tamulipas and Sinaloa people that have been operating a business have been confronted by these scum and most pack up and leave just like your family member. Last time I was in Juarez and took a cab from the airport to my hotel along the major highway I could not believe all of the closed businesses. A lot of the places mentioned above did not have all the killings that you read about now just a year or two ago. If Baja becomes like this I am out of here.

Take care my friend......

JESSE - 5-15-2011 at 03:48 PM

What Juarez needs is a special forces team of assasins, no arrests, no trials just drop them where they find them kind of a thing.

lizard lips - 5-15-2011 at 03:53 PM

You got that right Jesse.

And Vgabndo, what conditions are you referring to? I think you should just go back and delete that post.

jenny.navarrette - 5-15-2011 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
And Vgabndo, what conditions are you referring to? I think you should just go back and delete that post.

Orale!

DENNIS - 5-15-2011 at 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
What Juarez needs is a special forces team of assasins, no arrests, no trials just drop them where they find them kind of a thing.

AMEN

Woosh, My Heartfelt Sympathies to Your Family

Gypsy Jan - 5-15-2011 at 04:51 PM

My thoughts and prayers go out for your healing.

GJ

goldhuntress - 5-15-2011 at 04:54 PM

Oh no! This is very sad news. So sorry.....

ELINVESTIG8R - 5-15-2011 at 04:56 PM

NO MERCY NO MERCY NO MERCY - KILL THEM ALL!

[Edited on 5-17-2011 by ELINVESTIG8R]

shari - 5-15-2011 at 04:56 PM

Woosh, we add our condolences to you and your family and are just sick about the state of things these days...so very sad and unfair.

Skipjack Joe - 5-15-2011 at 05:03 PM

My condolences, Woosh. I wish I could help you somehow during these difficult times.

tripledigitken - 5-15-2011 at 05:13 PM

So sorry for your family during this time.

bajafam - 5-15-2011 at 05:20 PM

our prayers are with you and your family...
a sad say indeed
:(

The Wonderer - 5-15-2011 at 05:29 PM

My condolences, Woooosh. I am so sorry for your loss.

Eli - 5-15-2011 at 06:24 PM

Woooosh, I have no words of grace regarding this situation. All I can say is I am sorry for the pain your family must be experinsing at this time.

slimshady - 5-15-2011 at 07:05 PM

It's not the pot but the US consumption of meth, tweak, crystal that is driving this murderous campaign.

bacquito - 5-15-2011 at 07:16 PM

Good Grief, how very sad!

bajaguy - 5-15-2011 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

AMEN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Samurai

BornFisher - 5-15-2011 at 09:43 PM

Impossible to express the sadness here. It just seems the bad guys are winning. Prayers to all families who have gone thru this. So so sorry.

dtbushpilot - 5-15-2011 at 09:50 PM

I'm so sorry woosh....can't find any more words to say....dt

jeans - 5-15-2011 at 11:22 PM

Sad, sad, sad, sad....so sorry.

Bajagypsy - 5-16-2011 at 07:06 AM

Woosh our thoughts are with you and your family at this time. Words can not express how sorry we are for you.

Natalie Ann - 5-16-2011 at 07:18 AM

I am so sorry for your loss.

nena

MitchMan - 5-16-2011 at 02:34 PM

Very sorry to learn of your loss, Woooosh.

Neal Johns - 5-16-2011 at 03:04 PM

Been out of town, just heard the bad news, so sorry - no solution, just sorry.
Neal Johns

CaboMagic - 5-16-2011 at 06:16 PM

Please accept our condolences - our thoughts and prayers too ..

Keri - 5-16-2011 at 06:42 PM

Our prayers are with you and your family. So very, very sorry,k

805gregg - 5-16-2011 at 07:05 PM

Very sad, but I want to know who are the parents that raise these animals, and what did they do wrong?

AmoPescar - 5-16-2011 at 11:33 PM

Wooooosh,

So very sad and sorry for your family's loss. I hope they catch the pendejos who did this and tie them up to a cactus to rot!

Miguelamo :fire: :yes: :(

Bob H - 5-17-2011 at 07:14 AM

Oh My.... so very sorry for your loss. Condolences to you and your family.

wilderone - 5-17-2011 at 08:48 AM

Woosh, I pray for your family and your cousin. Life just shouldn't be like this. There are no answers to such senseless tragedy.

Phil S - 5-17-2011 at 08:59 AM

Woooosh. Kind thoughts and prayers during this tragic time for you and your family

toneart - 5-17-2011 at 10:47 AM

Wooooosh,
I am so sorry for you and your family's loss. This cartel violence is ruining the good people population and consequently, the country.:fire:

BillP - 5-17-2011 at 11:56 AM

Very sorry Woosh, this sucks!

I wish somehow, some way, this crap would stop!

RIP

R2LUJAN - 5-17-2011 at 11:56 AM

I AM SO SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS,

BOBBY.

Bajafun777 - 5-17-2011 at 05:00 PM

If there were words to ease the pain I would say them, however as with all pain only God & Time will help you in your time of loss. Sorry for the family loss and I recently lost my niece who had a 14 month old baby when her husband killed her in ways I wish we had never found out. Again may God be with you and your family. Take Care & Travel Safe Let God lead the Way!! bajafun777

Mike99km - 5-17-2011 at 05:13 PM

THAT JUST SUCKS!
R I P. We will pray for you and yours.
MMc

Woooosh - 5-17-2011 at 07:39 PM

http://www.narcoguerra.com/index.php/easyblog/entry/asesinar...

[Edited on 5-18-2011 by Woooosh]

Marc - 5-18-2011 at 08:54 PM

Some day, some way, there will be justice.

Marc - 5-18-2011 at 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:
Quote:

AMEN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Samurai

A Star Chamber type justice would work. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magnificent_Seven

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by Marc]

flyfishinPam - 5-19-2011 at 08:17 AM

In august of 2008 my brother in law was assinated in Acapulco. He was a taxi driver for over 30 years and refused to be a halcon for the local cartel. So they hired his taxi one night and had him drive into the country where they pulled a gun on him and made him get out. His body was found several days later stuffed into the trunk of his own taxi he had been tortured then shot in the head. These same cartels then threatened his eldest son who was also a taxi driver. Eventually the family packed what belongings they could into two pick up trucks, 9 of them, three men two women and four children, leaving everything behind that they had (very nice home) and drove here to Loreto that september. They didn't like it here so a few weeks later they returned to the mainland to settle in PV. Most of them have since gone to the USA on refugee status.

I am sorry for your loss wooosh this war has affected many of us and it is senseless.

Iflyfish - 5-19-2011 at 10:50 AM

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. The world is a smaller place. We are all losing something to these terrorists, all of us. I am so sad to hear this. So much senseless violence, soul numbing violence, so many good people gone and now those left living with fear.

Iflyfish

Baja161 - 5-19-2011 at 11:14 AM

So wrong so sorry Godspeed our prayers to all of you dealing with this...:( We need to send the Bin Laden Team and take them all out 1 by 1!!!

jenny.navarrette - 5-19-2011 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Some day, some way, there will be justice.

Not on this plain of existence. They mostly get away with it and murder others with almost total impunity. The legal system in Mexico is totally dysfunctional.

Woooosh - 5-19-2011 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
In august of 2008 my brother in law was assinated in Acapulco. He was a taxi driver for over 30 years and refused to be a halcon for the local cartel. So they hired his taxi one night and had him drive into the country where they pulled a gun on him and made him get out. His body was found several days later stuffed into the trunk of his own taxi he had been tortured then shot in the head. These same cartels then threatened his eldest son who was also a taxi driver. Eventually the family packed what belongings they could into two pick up trucks, 9 of them, three men two women and four children, leaving everything behind that they had (very nice home) and drove here to Loreto that september. They didn't like it here so a few weeks later they returned to the mainland to settle in PV. Most of them have since gone to the USA on refugee status.

I am sorry for your loss wooosh this war has affected many of us and it is senseless.

I've gotten a handful of U2U's from Nomads who have been through similar experiences. We also had a cousin chased out of his TJ hardware business a few years back with detailed threats involving their children. They left for a year and went back to the same business with no problems since. You never know when they get the bad guys- no one calls "All ye all ye Outs in free" when the danger is over for you and it's safe to return to life. When you file a formal complaint with the PGJE they never tell you the outcome either. The screwed up legal system keeps everyone in fear- there is no relief- even when it "works", it doesn't.

I don't understand why the torture and dismemberment is necessary. Why torture a taxi driver or food stand owner? Are these the kids who tortured animals or were abused themselves growing up? They made a hood ornament out of my cousins head- for what?

DENNIS - 5-19-2011 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
I don't understand why the torture and dismemberment is necessary. Why torture a taxi driver or food stand owner? Are these the kids who tortured animals or were abused themselves growing up? They made a hood ornament out of my cousins head- for what?

It's "Terror." Makes the next victim more submissive. It must work....they keep doing it.
This country needs to arm her citizens and instruct them in Vigilantism. Otherwise, the people will remain sheep to be slaughtered.

baja1943 - 5-19-2011 at 01:29 PM

Why would one open a taco stand in Juarez? Could it be that it was more than a taco stand,or somebody thought it was? There's got to be more to this, I can't believe he wasn't aware of his surroundings having lived in Monterey. When you choose to hang in that environment s*** happens, deserved or undeserved. Just trying to be realistic no offence intended.

DENNIS - 5-19-2011 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja1943
Why would one open a taco stand in Juarez? Could it be that it was more than a taco stand,or somebody thought it was? There's got to be more to this, I can't believe he wasn't aware of his surroundings having lived in Monterey. When you choose to hang in that environment s*** happens, deserved or undeserved. Just trying to be realistic no offence intended.

Since the young man is dead and gone, I think that question should go unasked here.

baja1943 - 5-19-2011 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Since the young man is dead and gone, I think that question should go unasked here.
The author could have said he lost his cousin. But instead he elaborated on his demise, that leaves it open to discussion. Jesse asked the question and no response. Everyone gets ripped on this forum, is woooosh an exception because there has been so much tragedy in his life with all of his relatives always in some sort of peril.

Von - 5-19-2011 at 03:21 PM

F' A'! So sorry to here that. I too have been affected by those F'A'! I think we all have in certain ways but some of us more. RIP brother.

DENNIS - 5-19-2011 at 03:27 PM

Quote:
The author could have said he lost his cousin. But instead he elaborated on his demise, that leaves it open to discussion. Jesse asked the question and no response. Everyone gets ripped on this forum, is woooosh an exception because there has been so much tragedy in his life with all of his relatives always in some sort of peril.

The question serves no purpose since, as you know only too well, there are no answers. Dredging through the possibilities would only be painfull for those suffering the loss at this time, or any time, and it's no more than a sick effort to bring reason to a gruesome crime when it makes absolutly no sense to even want to know.
Why would you even want to open this can of worms while the body still gives off heat? Does it matter?

[Edited on 5-19-2011 by DENNIS]

goldhuntress - 5-19-2011 at 04:13 PM

Baja 1943 your posts on this thread are in very poor taste.:no:

Woooosh - 5-19-2011 at 05:03 PM

Poor taste comes with the message board format and you just file it away- even when it's family. After a few pages of comments most everyone who is current on the board and interested has read/replied- after that it often goes downhill.

I asked a few cousins and a local nephew today why they tortured and decapitated him even when there is no grudge involved. They said it was to set an example to pay the monthly fees the cartel or whoever is in charge of the area demands. A five thousand dollar a month payment was in the "average" range they said- so this is nothing new or a big secret. I had thought they saved the barbarism for their real enemies, and civilly executed (strange word combination) the others, but that's not the case. I would wonder too if there were drugs or if something else was involved because of what they did to him- but that's just what they do to everyone now. It was a stupid place for him to to open a restaurant but I would imagine that city does have many living restaurant owners. I think he really didn't like the kid who drove up in the new sports car and demanded the money. Even so, he took the kid seriously. The restaurant threat was a few months ago and I think he wasn't worried an more when they got him. A lot of Mexicans get chased out of business apparently. Makes it hard to start a middle class, doesn't it?

flyfishinPam - 5-19-2011 at 06:12 PM

jenny.navarrette - 5-19-2011 at 08:03 PM

(Summary of the first 3 minutes of the video)

At the Zocalo in DF:
The Constitution of Mexico has been so prostituted.

We've heard the stories of the mothers and father whose children have been lost due to organized crime and the complicity of police in those crimes.

We want the Secretary of Security (Genaro Garcia Luna) to resign.

We want to send a message to the president of Mexico. No more deaths. No more hate. Let us walk the streets with dignity.

We are asking for the resignation (of the Secretary of Security) to avoid more violence.

DENNIS - 5-19-2011 at 08:06 PM

Call it what it is....surrender.

flyfishinPam - 5-21-2011 at 08:40 AM

Quote:
Call it what it is....surrender.

assimilate Dennis, learn Spanish this is not a surrender, it is a call to action of the citizens and the start of the pressure we will finally be applying to our broken government. Jenny the first three minutes is not the speech, it is his discussion before the speech, listen to the other 20 minutes please. Listen to Mr. Sicilia's words, our politicos and oligarchs had better because their time, taking and taking from the people is coming to an end.

wessongroup - 5-21-2011 at 11:01 AM

Really like the avatar Pam ... that is one of the prettiest fish out there to me... but, don't like to keep.. they are jus to beautiful to take... yes, I know they are really good eating...