BajaNomad

Ollie's Brick Oven Pizza, Rosarito

Gypsy Jan - 5-19-2011 at 05:37 PM

Ollie's Pizza opened maybe three months ago, it is located on the Free Road near the Las Gaviotas community. We have visited the restaurant three times now (not counting takeout).

First, Richard, the owner, has spent a load of money on the decor - very sleek and contemporary.

Second, he has a lot of staff, outside to guide you to a parking place and then inside to welcome you and check on you frequently - without being obtrusive.

Third and (to me) most important, the food is excellent! We have visited three times, getting the Italian sausage and peppers pizza and, then, last night, the BBQ chicken pizza. The pizzas are approximately 10" across. Delish!

Richard also comped us with a sparklingly-fresh arugula or maybe baby spinach salad that had one-inch width Parmesan cheese shavings covering the top.

I had a Negro Modelo beer (on tap) that kept fizzing for five minutes.

For the record, we did not know the owner until we walked into the door. I noticed the signs about the grand opening and the "brick oven pizza" for months. We visited the place out of the cold.

Ollie's Pizza
Horno de ladrillo - Brick oven
Km 40.5, Carreterra Libre Tijuana a Ensenada
Rosarito, Baja California, Mexico

[Edited on 5-20-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

BornFisher - 5-21-2011 at 07:08 PM

Great pizza, but is it open during the week?
My cousin and I went opening night and all was great except then there was no beer to buy. They were serving samples of different pizzas that night and the one that stood out was the one with artichoke hearts, ham and mushrooms.
And Richard is a great host, sure hope this place sticks around!!
BTW I had to return the next day to retrieve my cousin`s hat, and in the kitchen was Agapito Santos (famous chef) hanging out with the cooks!!

Bajafun777 - 5-22-2011 at 07:55 PM

Yea, we will check it out and tell them you got us interested. We love any excuse to try new places but when the food is really good that is an added plus that just makes it "SWEET!" Take Care & Travel Safe "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

krafty - 5-23-2011 at 08:47 AM

Good to know, will also check it out

BajaSerg - 5-23-2011 at 11:09 AM

Cool well check it out next time I go down .........thanks

Here's what you are looking for

The Gull - 5-23-2011 at 04:01 PM

IMG00074-20110523-1450.jpg - 34kB

BajaSerg - 5-26-2011 at 01:44 PM

Theres a lock on the door?

drarroyo - 5-26-2011 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaSerg
Theres a lock on the door?

typical greenGO! wants service 24/7. jajaja:lol:

The Gull - 5-29-2011 at 09:55 AM

Ollie's is open Wed - Sun 4 pm to 10 pm. That when he is serving $10 pizzas.

jenny.navarrette - 5-29-2011 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
... he is serving $10 pizzas.

Wow! Such a deal. $10 is 2-1/2 days salary in Mexico. That is like an American paying $160 for a pizza. Visit Mexico and pay US prices.

I know, I know. Let me guess the response: "But this is a MEXICAN pizza. It is 100 times better than an American pizza."

monoloco - 5-29-2011 at 10:21 AM

$10 is 2 1/2 days salary? Since when? It's pretty hard to get anybody to do the most menial tasks around here for less than 200-250 pesos per day.

jenny.navarrette

Gypsy Jan - 5-29-2011 at 10:31 AM

I don't know where you get your trollish attitude, maybe just because the internet is anonymous you can vent your sarcasm without the consequences of doing it face-to-face.

Richard is passionate about his business, he is employing a lot of Mexicans in a down economy and the quality of his food is excellent.

His product is made to American nouvelle-style pizza standards which calls for more expensive ingredients.

And, by the way, the pizza place in Primo Tapia which we have been patronizing for ten years, that is a favorite of the locals, sells its large pizza for $125 pesos, which roughly equals $10 US.

jenny.navarrette - 5-29-2011 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I don't know where you get your trollish attitude, maybe just because the internet is anonymous you can vent your sarcasm without the consequences of doing it face-to-face.

Well, I dont know, Jan. You sure seem to be anonymous, unless your legal name is Gypsy Jan. But as for trolling, dear, you take the cake hands down. Just the other day you posted this masterpiece and had the audacity to tell us it was a "A Reality Check on Mexico."

Quote:
From Stephen Schwab's Blog on Mexico:

"Mexico is in a unique position to reap many of the benefits of the decline of the US economy.s the country a favorite destination for Canadian investment"

Now Jan, even you should know the US is Mexico's largest trading partner. So I defy you, or any other Nomad for that matter, to explain to us how a decline in the US economy -- that's a decline in the trading partner that purchases the lions share of Mexico's exports -- puts Mexico in a unique position to reap the many benefits of the decline.

I hereby dare you to explain this to us Jan. What benefits? How will they be reaped?

Maybe after you finally figure out that you have posted nothing but mindless gibberish and tried to tell us it was reality, you'll understand my responses a little better.

I would not go so far as to call you a troll. But you are definitely a trollup. Quit hoaring for Mexico. Gracias.

jenny.navarrette - 5-29-2011 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
$10 is 2 1/2 days salary? Since when? It's pretty hard to get anybody to do the most menial tasks around here for less than 200-250 pesos per day.

The underlying concept of my post was MINIMUM wage.

http://www.wageindicator.org/main/minimum-wages/mexico

http://www.misalario.org/main/salario-minimo

Surely you should be aware that Gringos pay more for almost everything in Mexico than Mexicans.

Bait and Switch, jenny?

Gypsy Jan - 5-29-2011 at 02:37 PM

Sorry, not interested.

I posted a report from an e-newsletter so Nomads could read it and make up their minds for themselves.

Roberto - 5-29-2011 at 02:50 PM

Time for a hijack - BTW $10 = 2 1/2 days wages salary in Mexico. I'm sure there are parts of Mexico where that is true. Not in TJ/Rosarito, I can personally attest to that.

To the meat of the hijack. Jan, I would like to have your opinion of Cheripan. I have some friends who live in TJ and we're planning on a dinner together. I am voting for la Querencia, they are clamoring for Cheripan. Quality of the bar/wine is important. Your thoughts?

Oh, and they are going to work for the next 1.5 years to pay for their share of the dinner, but they seem ok with it. :lol::lol::lol:

P.S. Ever been to Tacos Junior? Great seafood tacos in Tijuana.

Hi Roberto

Gypsy Jan - 5-29-2011 at 03:19 PM

Here is a recent blogger's review of Cheripan in Tijuana: http://gastronomyblog.com/2009/07/29/cheripan-tijuana/

And, well, La Querencia is absolutely, fantastically good, Rick Bayless just filmed one of his upcoming TV shows there.

You can get the best of both worlds. The two restaurants are very close when using a car or taxi.

I would suggest going to La Querencia to begin for small bites (salmon tacos, duck machaca tacos, etc.), handcrafted c-cktails if that interests you, and then go to Cheripan for the Argentinean take on meat, meat and more meat! And yes, Cheripan also serves great vegetable dishes.

It's kind of minimalist-to-maximist way to go.

Roberto - 5-29-2011 at 03:24 PM

Sounds perfect. Do they server the "small bites" at the bar at La Querencia?

La Querencia is Very Small

Gypsy Jan - 5-29-2011 at 03:40 PM

Maybe twenty tables and a patio. Rustic contemporary decor and the walls all have a chalkboard menu as as well as the one they give you. No dress code.

They will happily serve you whatever you want, wherever you want to be served. Trust me, no attitude.

But don't miss looking around. The family pictures on the walls, (ignore the mounted deer heads if that upsets you) and then, there is the huge aquarium behind the bar with the giant fish.

I have been friends with those fish since they were only eight inches long.

Sadly, they ever call; they never write. ;)

[Edited on 5-29-2011 by Gypsy Jan]

Bajahowodd - 5-29-2011 at 04:15 PM

Pizza? Most folks are probably unaware of Ed LaDou, who died a few years ago.

We've been fortunate to have known Ed, and dined at his restaurants in both Laurel Canyon and Studio City.

This guy will be known by history as being a pizza icon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_LaDou

[Edited on 5-29-2011 by Bajahowodd]

Bajafun777 - 6-2-2011 at 03:25 PM

Looking to try the pizza tomorrow and best of all can walk out the front gates of Las Gaviotas taking a short walk to the pizza place, YEA No Driving!! LOL Jan see you on Saturday at 1pm at Splash and my wife and I will buy you that Cold One I promised. Take Care & Travel Safe----" No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

The Gull - 6-2-2011 at 04:38 PM

A full foodie report is expected, 777.

See You on Saturday at Splash

Gypsy Jan - 6-2-2011 at 05:00 PM

Just look for the big black dog.

GJ

Oh Shucks!

Gypsy Jan - 6-2-2011 at 05:22 PM

Our date means that I have to take an extra shower.

Like bajajudy, I try to conserve water.

Well, I guess I will take one for the team.

BTW (By the Way) we have had no lizards in the house, but plenty of scorions, but the cats take care of that.)

Cheers, GJ

Mexicorn - 6-2-2011 at 11:43 PM

Ollie's has the BEST PIZZA on the North Coat.
Next time you go in ask for the MEXICORN SPECIAL!
You wont be let down!
Also the Buffalo Mozzarella Salad is LARGE and GREAT!
Bring the Family by it's a great a place that is long over due.
Great Food Chi's Chi's UP Don GULL!

:cool:

Mexicorn - 6-2-2011 at 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Quote:

Well, I dont know, Jan. You sure seem to be anonymous, unless your legal name is Gypsy Jan. But as for trolling, dear, you take the cake hands down. Just the other day you posted this masterpiece and had the audacity to tell us it was a "A Reality Check on Mexico."

Sounds like Fu Fu got a new handle?
Quote:

"Mexico is in a unique position to reap many of the benefits of the decline of the US economy.s the country a favorite destination for Canadian investment"

Now Jan, even you should know the US is Mexico's largest trading partner. So I defy you, or any other Nomad for that matter, to explain to us how a decline in the US economy -- that's a decline in the trading partner that purchases the lions share of Mexico's exports -- puts Mexico in a unique position to reap the many benefits of the decline.

I hereby dare you to explain this to us Jan. What benefits? How will they be reaped?

Maybe after you finally figure out that you have posted nothing but mindless gibberish and tried to tell us it was reality, you'll understand my responses a little better.

I would not go so far as to call you a troll. But you are definitely a trollup. Quit hoaring for Mexico. Gracias.

Mexicorn - 6-2-2011 at 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Quote:
Originally posted by jenny.navarrette
Quote:

Sounds like Fu Fu got a new handle?
Quote:

New Handle Fu Fu?

Bajafun777 - 6-5-2011 at 09:28 AM

Gypsy Jan, my wife, my buddy that lives in Baja Malibu and I went to Ollies last night and it was great. We had the two pizzas one with the BBQ chicken and the other with pepperoni and both were great. Very fast service and easy for us to walk to from Las Gaviotas. We also met Richard and my wife recognized him from Splash as he is a regular there also,LOL. He says he knows you and your husband and agrees with me you guys have a very very BIG BLACK DOG no mistaking you two,LOL. Take Care & Travel Safe--"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Mexicorn - 6-6-2011 at 05:56 PM

Dear Richard;

So I see someone has tried to hijack what I said about what at idea it it is to have a good pizza place up here. I am looking forward to bringing the grandkids
By soon.
Marksacorn.
See you soon homeboy

oh by the way I look foorward to...

Mexicorn - 6-6-2011 at 06:02 PM

That Buffalo mozzarella.
Salad. What was the price again I keep thinking it's $10 something full size?

[Edited on 6-7-2011 by Mexicorn]

OK, Bajafun777

Gypsy Jan - 6-6-2011 at 06:06 PM

Let's get smooshie, now.

You offered to pick up the the check, dear husband declined.

You and your wife were witty, charming and informed about the world AND great fun to spend time with, as well as the fact that you you love Baja.

Looking forward to seeing you again.

GJ