BajaNomad

Canuck walking baja now in Sta.Rosalia

shari - 5-30-2011 at 04:18 PM

This is a little trip report of our visit to San Ignacio & San Lucas Cove for a family gathering with Juan's cousin Beto.

There is never a shortage of crazy things ya see in baja. So there we were driving towards san ignacio when we come around a corner and see this tanned, wirey guy sporting only short shorts and tennis shoes walking on the highway pushing a baby stroller....he was walking real fast and couldnt have been a can man cause they always wear lots of clothes to protect them from the sun....what the??????

we arrived in San Ignacio and decided for some reason to stay at Fong's hotel hoping for ar conditioning and less mosquitos than at La Posada this time of year....300 pesos and sky tv.

Mr Fong told us about a great place to swim that we had never visited before so we checked out...los Alamos is a lovely spot with BBQ's and 2 places to swim amongst the palms (the famly there charged 40 pesos a car to get in). We swam for a good long time in this magical place...the presa water felt like silk caressing my skin as I leisurly swam down the river. there's a sign as you head out of san ignacio a couple blocks after the big curve.

We then had a good scallop dinner at Renees...too bad I didnt see this sign before we ate...although not sure I would like a margarita in my food!!!! jajajajaja

upon returning to the hotel, there was the "walker" sleeping on the ground outside the restaurant. After a fitfull sleep...it is very noisy there...in the morning I met the walker in the restaurant and spent a hour having breakfast with him impressed by his enthusiasm for life and positive attitude.

Turns out his name is Pierre and he is a 65 year old french canadian who lives in Vancouver who has embarked on a journey to walk the world starting with this continent. He started in Prudence Bay Alaska and will wald to Tierra de fuego this year...then on to Europe to walk coast to coast, then canada coast to coast, russia, china etc etc.

He was an avid cyclist but says he sees much more walking. He has no sponsors or projects...he's just doing it. He will set up a webpage when he is in La Paz. He loves to pose and is a pretty interesting gentleman.

He is a jovial guy exuding a love for life......his only problem so far is that he lost his canadian flag. Juan had some canuck stickers in his glove box that we gave him and he was overjoyed...he's very patriotic...soooooo....my mission is to get him a flag for his cart...I can send one to someone along the way or if some canadian has one further south that can give it to him...that would make his trip to baja!!! Ya cant miss him as he walks the highway...gets around 25 miles a day and is in sta.rosalia today.

We carried on to San Lucas Cove for a sunday family gathering with Juan's cousin for a BBQ and stopped to give Pierre a cold Tecate on our way home yesterday.

I told him about Baja Nomads and mike's trek and that I woul be posting this...so if ya see him and stop and say hi...tell him shari told you about him and he's on bajanomad.
So I have a new challenge for canuck Nomads down south....lets get Pierre his flag!!!!!
Baja...full of surprises!!

[Edited on 5-30-2011 by shari]

[Edited on 5-30-2011 by shari]

[Edited on 5-31-2011 by shari]

motoged - 5-30-2011 at 04:45 PM

Bueno suerte, Pierre...:saint:

Some folks just got over bicyclists on the highway....now they can get on a rant about this guy (not facing traffic :O ) on the road... and needing at least as much space to get past.

I wish him well and hope he makes it. :cool:

shari - 5-30-2011 at 04:48 PM

we chatted about the dangers and he s well aware of them but says when there is an oncoming car and one coming behind, he just gets off the road...otherwise...he says...they just go around...no problema.

DENNIS - 5-30-2011 at 04:54 PM

Another one??? Why and how is the first time we've heard of this? He must be a quiet guy.

Eli - 5-30-2011 at 04:59 PM

Another great trip report Shari.
I am sure the Pierre the Walker will see things along his way that no one else will ever experinse. I know YOU always do!

dtbushpilot - 5-30-2011 at 05:01 PM

I'll look for him next Sunday on my trip North, maybe I can find a Canadian flag somewhere in Los Barriles.....only problem is, what the heck am I going to do with it if I don't see him.....How about it Nomads, any good Ideas?

shari - 5-30-2011 at 05:04 PM

ya cant miss this guy....he walks all day on the highway but stops before dusk and doesnt always get an early start...if ya miss him...we'll send it to someone else who might try...I think I have one here I could send you on the bus tomorrow.

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2011 at 05:07 PM

great photos .. I can't believe he is walking the world. this must be a first ? stuff for the guinness book of world records .... wow..

thanks for giving us the heads up and I sure hope he does post here. does he take photos ???? keep a journal ??? speak espanol ???

shari - 5-30-2011 at 05:16 PM

funny guy...he's not looking for any publicity....he really wanted me to send him the photos so I doubt he has a camera...hmmm...dont know about the journal...speaks a teeny bit of spanish and his english is pretty good too. He seems just a simple guy...hardly any gear at all...small tent, blow up liittle matress, xtra shoes, a bit of food...really travelling light...I asked him about the heat and he said he had to be prepared for all kinds of weather...he'd been through snow and rain so heat wasnt so bad. Little things really please him and he is very impressed with mexican hospitality...he wont take rides or money but was happy for a cold beer!

bajacalifornian - 5-30-2011 at 05:23 PM

We passed this guy without a shirt & pushing a "baby carriage" while traveling at cruise speed southbound last Monday. I actually assumed him to be a bum. Wrong assumption again.

shari - 5-30-2011 at 06:25 PM

isnt it amazing how we judge people at first sight!!! happy you fessed up bcalifornian...I bet most people think the same thing...he worked his life in construction and was a long shoreman till he retired and now he's seeing the world on his terms.

He laughed about how people were always trying to give him money as they thought he was too poor to take the bus...he said he had lots of money. When I told him it was an honour to buy his breakfast, he said gracias and told me a story about how he bought breakfast for a mexican woman and her children aways back....what comes around goes around eh!!!

Hook - 5-30-2011 at 07:50 PM

This guy's frickin' nuts...........HE'S GOING TO MISS THE CANUCKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!!

goldhuntress - 5-30-2011 at 08:29 PM

I love crazy cool people. Good for him, he's out living life. Imagine all the stories he's going to have....I wish I was there to buy him a beer!

DENNIS - 5-30-2011 at 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I love crazy cool people.

He'd probably get a kick out of that, but he seems to have a true spirit of this type of adventure.
Do it for yourself....quietly.

Bajaboy - 5-30-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by goldhuntress
I love crazy cool people.

He'd probably get a kick out of that, but he seems to have a true spirit of this type of adventure.
Do it for yourself....quietly.

I agree with you Dennis.

ElCap - 5-30-2011 at 09:21 PM

Thanks again Shari for sharing your experiences. I wish I could have met Pierre - he is the type of person that makes us all feel like we are trapped living in our harried lives, while he is out actually living his. I especially like that he is doing it for himself, and not for some paid sponsor.

Paulina - 5-30-2011 at 10:30 PM

He's the Forest Gump of Baja. He's going to walk the world until he's decided he's done. Good for him. I hope we see him on our summer journeys and can stop and experience some of his journey.

Shari, thanks for posting.

P>*)))>{

mrbotete - 5-31-2011 at 07:34 AM

Good for him! I hope that he makes it all the way and he finds good people like Shari to help him along the way. I admire that he is doing it for himself and not for the publicity like most everybody else does it anymore...to each it's own I guess.

Good luck!

Iflyfish - 5-31-2011 at 07:45 AM

Magic and you seem to find a lot of it!! Abrazos Forte! Thanks for sharing another amazing adventure with us. What a character!! Imagine, walking the entire Continent! What a life! La Vida Loca! Baja has some amazing characters and you have found another.

Iflyfish

scouter - 5-31-2011 at 08:29 AM

"This guy's frickin' nuts...........HE'S GOING TO MISS THE CANUCKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!! "

I was thinkin same thing..... some one should tell him...

Whatever you do...

Dave - 5-31-2011 at 08:49 AM

Quote:
Another one??? Why and how is the first time we've heard of this? He must be a quiet guy.

Don't tell DK. :rolleyes:

Hook - 5-31-2011 at 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by scouter
"This guy's frickin' nuts...........HE'S GOING TO MISS THE CANUCKS WIN THE STANLEY CUP!!!!!!!!!!! "

I was thinkin same thing..... some one should tell him...

Probably wouldn't believe them, if they did. :lol:

Unless Thomas has the series of his LIFE, I see this being over in 5 games. 4-1 Canucks. Tampa Bay would have been a much better series.

shari - 5-31-2011 at 09:49 AM

geez Hook...you may have just ruined my chances at winning more micro brewery beer in bets with unsuspecting gringos like woody & santiago...dang....

Hook - 5-31-2011 at 10:01 AM

Since they're both Yanks, tell them that the team with the most penaties in minutes is declared the winner of the Stanley Cup. They wont know the difference. And Boston is sure to be ahead in that category.

Then, bet them either way you wish. Goals or PIM.

Or, just tell em that whenever the announcers say "icing", it means Canucks fans get an icy beer. Boston will be icing the puck plenty, at full strength.

Since one guy is a surfer and one is a baseball nut, they are only familiar with ice as it relates to drinks. :lol:

[Edited on 5-31-2011 by Hook]

jorgie - 5-31-2011 at 11:33 AM

As the city of Vancouver and the BC province will be shut down for the next two weeks contact with Western Canada will not be available .

Shari , it will be Cs 4 Bs 2 . Those games are worth $65M each . They are gonna keep one as a spare just in case .

DENNIS - 5-31-2011 at 11:43 AM

Oh good....a two week blood-bath in the name of sport. Hockey must have it's roots in the Roman Colosseum. I mean...it would be illegal for Hockey players to act as they do in public.
What do parents say about these thugs being their kid's roll models? How many of these Neanderthals have their own teeth?

Hook - 5-31-2011 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Oh good....a two week blood-bath in the name of sport. Hockey must have it's roots in the Roman Colosseum. I mean...it would be illegal for Hockey players to act as they do in public.
What do parents say about these thugs being their kid's roll models? How many of these Neanderthals have their own teeth?

Fights, especially in the playoffs, are really becoming rare.

And the way they are interpreting boarding and interference has made the game even more civilized; at the risk of using an oxymarooon in hockey.

mtgoat666 - 5-31-2011 at 12:15 PM

Quote:
How many of these Neanderthals have their own teeth?

dennis:
that's a question often asked about you

DENNIS - 5-31-2011 at 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
How many of these Neanderthals have their own teeth?

dennis:
that's a question often asked about you

All but one, a molar way in the back for which I have a Bridge.
Now....I've told you mine so it's only fair you tell us why you can't get rid of that nasty Yeast Infection that makes you so cranky all the time.

Hook - 6-1-2011 at 09:20 PM

Well, Dennis, I think you'll get a real kick out of the controversy coming out of the first game of the Stanley Cup finals.

No, there wasn't any fighting in the game, just like there aren't im most playoff games.

But one player on the Canucks actually got a double minor penalty for BITING an opposing player. Possible suspension coming.

Re-rack that neanderthal discussion. :lol:

DENNIS - 6-1-2011 at 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
But one player on the Canucks actually got a double minor penalty for BITING an opposing player. Possible suspension coming.

Re-rack that neanderthal discussion. :lol:

His lawyers will claim he was trying to kiss him.....in the new, revitalized spirit of the game.

High-heel skates coming soon. :lol:

Bob H - 6-1-2011 at 09:33 PM

Hook and Dennis.... your comments are very entertaining. Love it.

But, Canucks get the biscuit in the basket and win it in the final seconds of game ONE!

[Edited on 6-2-2011 by Bob H]

DENNIS - 6-1-2011 at 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Jeeeezo, Bob. I just looked at the clock. Do you realize how late we're staying up tonight?
Pretty good...huh. :lol:

Bob H - 6-1-2011 at 09:44 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H

Jeeeezo, Bob. I just looked at the clock. Do you realize how late we're staying up tonight?
Pretty good...huh. :lol:

Oh, I edited my comment... and yes, we are up past 9.... hahahaha

BajaDanD - 6-1-2011 at 10:11 PM

I thought we were talking about a guy walking Baja. Not about a bunch of guys fighting with sticks over a little black round thingy

DENNIS - 6-2-2011 at 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD
I thought we were talking about a guy walking Baja. Not about a bunch of guys fighting with sticks over a little black round thingy

When they're playing for the Stanley Laurel Cup....Canuck / Hockey....it's all the same.

OK....back to our original programming.
Where is he now?

[Edited on 6-2-2011 by DENNIS]

Arturo - 6-2-2011 at 10:35 AM

I seen him Thursday May 19th. When we were on our way to Punta Chivato. Seen him again on Monday May 23rd as we were headed back to the States.

Santiago - 6-2-2011 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
geez Hook...you may have just ruined my chances at winning more micro brewery beer in bets with unsuspecting gringos like woody & santiago...dang....

Hey hey hey - I would not have bet against Vancouver seeing what they did to the Sharks.
And back on topic, is this the same Pierre that wrote "Yellow Sky"?

DENNIS - 6-2-2011 at 06:10 PM

They're playing that game again. I accidently turned it on and It looked like a mob of Hulk Hogans beating hell out of each other and the fans were going berserk. All champion caliber and very refined. :no:

805gregg - 6-15-2011 at 08:23 PM

Like Ringling said "there's and a$$ born for every seat". Maybe he'll kiss a poor whale also.

[Edited on 6-16-2011 by 805gregg]

[Edited on 6-16-2011 by 805gregg]

BajaBlanca - 6-16-2011 at 07:28 PM

ummmmmmmmmmmmm anyone seen the canuck recently ? whereabouts is he ?

Wally - 6-20-2011 at 10:30 PM

I saw him alive and kicking either Sat 6/11 or Sun 6/12. Departed Cabo for the border on the 10th and made it as far as GN the first night.

When we passed him as we headed North, I remember thinking to myself..."why is an older White Dude pushing a stroller down Hwy 1 in the middle of nowhere."

Things that make you go "hmmm" and smile.